• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Special Moves

Pima

Smash Journeyman
Charged UpB= Teh ultimatez edgegaurd1!!, that combined with the boomerang will hopefully make Link better, I would like to battle more Links =)

And I would guess Zamus' whip will have autotarget too?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I think that Sakurai is purposely trying to make Link the best character in the game for marketing reasons.

Any1 agree with me? Nintendo would be very angry if Link or Mario sucked...
I wouldn't say the best character, but they are making him better for marketing reasons. Well, it worked to me when I saw Mario's fair and him going combo crazy on Link. Their strategy is working!

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Well charging in air isn't so bad, just make he float (like fox when "auto charging").

And do you think fox UP+B will be normal chargeable now?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Link sure has come a long way from the original Super Smash Bros. Let's take a look, shall we?

First off, we have the new and improved Gale Boomerang taking the place of the "Ocarina of Time boomerang designed only for a child but adapted for an adult specifically for use in Smash" (lame). My biggest hope is that the boomerang actually moves like it does in Twilight Princess. In Melee, the boomerang had two glaring issues: there was too much preparation, and the boomerang moved too slowly. It was easily punishable. If this boomerang stays true to the game, it will make its around in about a second. That would be fabulous.

Next, we have the new and improved Hero Bow. I like the indication that "it's fast". Being able to sneak in a fully charged arrow to a combo would be fabulous compared to the blatantly obvious slow charging process. The bow will be far more useful this time around.

The bomb seems like nothing new. To be honest, I don't have any beef with Melee Link's bombs, but I am open to new ideas. Perhaps these new bombs will have unique physics about them. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ah, the wonderfully "broken" spin attack has received a major upgrade. Back in the day, everyone complained how cheap the spin attack was. Now everyone will complain more since it can be charged. :laugh: This opens up huge possibilities. In Soul Calibur II, Link's fully charged spin attack could not be physically blocked. I wonder if Link can move slightly (side-to-side) while spinning. Will the range expand as he charges? Will it have a simple charged smash animation or a unique one? I eagerly await the opportunity to test it out! ^_^

The clawshot is a welcome addition. Easier tether recoveries will be nice, but that is not what I was hoping for. I hope that the clawshot has a larger grabbing field than the hookshot did. In Melee, if your opponent short-hopped or did anything out of the ordinary near the ground, the hookshot would miss for some reason. Despite the opponent being directly in front of Link, the hookshot would pop out and seemingly impale the opponent (of course, not really). Then the chain falls worthlessly to the ground as the opponent dishes out a vicious punisher. Link's post-grab lag is understandable as a compensation for his insane grab range, but a bit less lag would be nice, too. ^_^'

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Charged UpB= Teh ultimatez edgegaurd1!!, that combined with the boomerang will hopefully make Link better, I would like to battle more Links =)
Quoted for truth. Once knocked off the stage by the Link, I don't see his opponent coming back if you Charge UpB just right.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
@ Buzz

The not grabable in the air thing is presumably to remove any completely broken chaingrabing that would result from that much range.
Serves Sheik right. >_>

Eaode

Smash Champion
The thing that I find odd is that Sakurai said that he is going for the TP style, but in TP, you couldn't charge the spin attack. The only way it was stronger was
if you had full health, using the great spin.

Unless you could charge it in the GCN version?? :confused:

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
You can charge the Spin Attack in the GCN version, from what I've heard.

And what's this about Brawl being the last Smash game? I haven't heard anything about that, and I can't find any bit of proof of it.

pokemega32

Smash Apprentice
I suppose this means Shiek is out as Zelda's vB....

If Link is changed to match TP, Zelda should be too...

JPTight

Smash Cadet
The gale boomerang gives a light pull so its probably not too strong. I'm glad u have to charge the spin attack. it was too good b4. Well u don't HAVE to charge it.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
*pulls out some Arbor Mist* Cheers and kudos to Link's supreme dominion over Smash thus far! *knocks wine glasses*
OFF TOPIC:
I love Arbor Mist - man I sure could go for a glass.
I can't wait to try this Link, the chargable Up + B makes for some intriguing strategies - auto-lock on Chain Recovery means some adaptation to Link's off-stage play, and a faster Bow.
I think (and HOPE) it means NO CHARGING. There's no need to charge the Bow, it's now always fully loaded for a quick horizontal projectile. Of course, it means it's damage will need to lessen - but if you wanted damage, that's what Bombs should be for, right?

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
You can charge the Spin Attack in the GCN version, from what I've heard.
No you can't.

And what's this about Brawl being the last Smash game? I haven't heard anything about that, and I can't find any bit of proof of it.
It seems It's SAKURAI final smash, not the series!

Exactly, link couldn't jump on his own either in the game.
Ha ha yeah, good reply.

But of course, especially if he has more than one trick of the trade. If he by chance can morph int Wolf Link, than he will have reached the Deity Tier rank!
Srry shade, I believe the Deity Tier rank goes to Fierce Deity Link transformation!

And WLink is gonna be (w/Midna) a separate character IMO.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm a little worried about the Gale Boomerang effect. In Melee, the whole point of the boomerang was to harass opponents at mid-range and keep them away from you. Having it draw in opponents could be a bad thing. It's much too laggy for it to combo into anything (or at least it was in Melee), so it seems like it would be more likely to give your opponent a free hit on you than draw them into one of your attacks. Though now that I think of it, it would be a useful property for those times when the boomerang misses at first but hits someone on the return trip...

Hopefully, if anything about the boomerang gets messed up, the improved bow will make up for it. I had trouble finding any real use for the bow in a serious game before, so I'm looking forward to how that turns out.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I really don't mind seeing Link get improved specials but I really hope that all the characters will get the same treatment.
Of course they will, even if it's just a new feel instead of a new moveset. Sakurai has never let us down(or me at least).

@Wyvern: Boomerag, Fsmash, Boomerang, Fsmash, repeat

PS: Comments on new sig? Is it eye candy or what?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
As long as someone can easily punish Link's attacks if they know what they're doing, I'm fine with Link's upgrade. :) Oh, and what's taking so long to get the English update?

Top Bottom