• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Special Moves

Silent Mike

Smash Cadet
I think some people think the spin attack now HAS to be charged to be used. Which is wrong.

The charge in the spin attack is optional. In the Nintendo World Movie, he does one instantaneously. Hence "You CAN charge the spin attack."

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
eh it sucks when the developers try to make things easier. but overall link looks clean. and now u can charge up his lil spin attack. does this mean u will be able to charge up others up b. that is if that is still his third jump

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Man I always enjoyed playing w/Link, but now I may have to add him in my top 3 to use. I wonder if his foot speed will be a little faster?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I think some people think the spin attack now HAS to be charged to be used. Which is wrong.

The charge in the spin attack is optional. In the Nintendo World Movie, he does one instantaneously. Hence "You CAN charge the spin attack."
I wasnt thinking that at all, just that it probably means it will be weaker than in melee if you do it instantly

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Cool, it's nice to see them giving Link a few new trick.
When making your sequels, it's important to balance out the old characters so that a select few don't dominate as much as before.
Like adding Steel and Dark types to counter Psychic type.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
It looks like his Hook isn't as long anymore, if ya know what I mean.
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! :chuckle:

THANK YOU. GALE BOOMERANG.

If they suckered Link into using that dinky little boomerange from OoT again, I would've gone medieval all over my cat. And I didn't want to do that anymore than he wanted me to.

To be totally honest, the thing that excites me more is the prospect of Zelda possibly being given this same treatment. For example, her Din's Fire attack not actually being "Din's Fire". ;)

Which, in turn, could imply. . . other changes to her moveset. >_>
Ah, I so called it! As soon as I saw the Gale Boomerang in a Twilight Princess preview, I immediately said "Well, that's his new boomerang for the next Smash Bros." Lo and behold, my speculation was right! This really enforces my standing as resident prophet. ;)

Really, though, it's a very thorough and exciting update. A chargeable UpB sounds like a neat twist. Zelda, too, might get some new TP-esque update complete with *gasp* a new DownB! One never knows until Sakurai says....

My only qualm with this update: why didn't Pit get as thorough an update? Or Wario, for that matter?

And for those worried about Link being overpowered with the fancy new boomerang and the fancy new hookshot, remember: Link is slow. :chuckle:

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, everything was looking really cool until I read the charged spin attack. Now it won't have ANY of the knockback power it normally has unless you charge it up, which means it'll be a lot harder to edge guard with because of the timing. Way to water down Link's best move. There are a lot of characters with crazy moves that might need to be downgraded a bit. Link isn't one of them.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! :chuckle:

Ah, I so called it! As soon as I saw the Gale Boomerang in a Twilight Princess preview, I immediately said "Well, that's his new boomerang for the next Smash Bros." Lo and behold, my speculation was right! This really enforces my standing as resident prophet. ;)

Really, though, it's a very thorough and exciting update. A chargeable UpB sounds like a neat twist. Zelda, too, might get some new TP-esque update complete with *gasp* a new DownB! One never knows until Sakurai says....

My only qualm with this update: why didn't Pit get as thorough an update? Or Wario, for that matter?

And for those worried about Link being overpowered with the fancy new boomerang and the fancy new hookshot, remember: Link is slow. :chuckle:
New guys are more interesting, you can already assume what most of the returning character's movesets are going to be, so they don't really want to annoy people by spreading them out into two updates like the newcomers.

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
Exactly. The Up+B was such a great weapon, and now they've ruined it. Plus, I'm in the habit of holding down the B button when I use it as a third jump. Better start training myself out of it.

nuro

Smash Lord
this might be my favorite update.

It all sounds interesting but I want to see it in action instead of a picture and some vague words.

Its nice to see characters switch it up. Although, this was expected since we never saw Link's bombs/boomerang in the countless updates that showed him.

And Link's up+b in the air looked exactly the same in the first trailer, there is NO charging it up in the air. Notice the red slash indicating its charged. Its not there in the trailer.

I hope the clawshot has less after lag on the ground..

They need to get rid of the problem where you just die if you use the claw/hook shot too close to the sides of the stage.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Yeah, everything was looking really cool until I read the charged spin attack. Now it won't have ANY of the knockback power it normally has unless you charge it up, which means it'll be a lot harder to edge guard with because of the timing. Way to water down Link's best move. There are a lot of characters with crazy moves that might need to be downgraded a bit. Link isn't one of them.
But they may also never see it coming.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I like how people are saying his up+b is ruined. I mean cause they already have the game and stuff. Fascinating.

vericz

Smash Champion
Some of you don't seem to remember the Nintendo world movie and links parts.

1st-After they introduce snake it shows him attacking link, but before that link shoots an arrow, he barely holds it and the arrow looks like it goes far.

2nd-When it shows link attacking Wario it seems the spin attack is powerful but hard to tell from now percents.

I like the new link moves :) and the clawshot is long, just in that pic it shows it while its still coming out.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. The Up+B was such a great weapon, and now they've ruined it. Plus, I'm in the habit of holding down the B button when I use it as a third jump. Better start training myself out of it.
I'm not sure if that kind of assumption can be made so quickly. Watch http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/movies/movie02.html He does a normal spin slash without charging, it seems to be very the same. It seems that charging the spin slash would be more about increasing the range.
I dunno, maybe.

Pip

Smash Apprentice
You're jumping to conclusions. If only the fully charged up B is as powerful as the one from melee, then he'd be weaker, but if the completely uncharged up B is as powerful as the one from melee, then he'd be stronger. At some point in between these extremes, there is presumably a spot where the balance is maintained. How do you know that they haven't put it at this "sweetspot"?

Or for that matter, how can you have any idea of how the overall balance of the character will play out at this point? Maybe he'll have a super weak up B and still be amazingly good, or perhaps vice versa. My point is, you shouldn't go bemoaning what you perceive to be nerfs until you've experienced how the character actually plays first-hand.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
They should do something with it like in twilight princess is was stronger if you had full health, like if you have under 15% with it something it is red and is a lot stronger...

I don't know about his weight this time around, TP link always came of to me as lighter, or smaller (master sword just looks bigger IMO) but I hope they balance him up a little better this time around...

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
nothing says it will be have to be charged in the air. and in one of the movies he just does his up b right away with no charge. lets not assume links noobiest strategy move is ruined, we must wait for the third coming of smash and we will get all the answers>_>

chlor0form

Smash Journeyman
That's a good assumption, and it relates to Link's spin attack in the series also. Most likely it will be something along those lines, but I don't see why people are complaining since it doesn't detract from the game at all.

I can imagine Link's alternate outfits, his Zora suit or magic armor? =d

Phred

Smash Journeyman
The whole game is ruined! every character that's not a heavyweight is now top tier!
Are you just trolling? They've been working on rebalancing, remember? Heavyweights will have attacks with frames of non flinchy-ness to help them out a little.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Hey newblets, let's keep the Melee play mechanics with Melee, and get ready to partake in a totally different title, now.

Who cares on how things were in the last game, and how "ZOMG, this isnt like Melee anymoooooore!". New game, so expect things to be different. Goodness, you guys drive me nuts.

If you want Melee, then go play freakingMelee.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Charged Up B is gonna be one hell of an edgeguard :chuckle:
That's what tether recovery is for, grab onto the edge and hang around for a while until the maximum charge is reached and the attack is forced to go, then climb up and throw them off while they recover! :D

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
wow link got quite ann overhaul, and it seems to be for the better. =) link was one of my main people in melee so im glad to see this, the hookshot is improved and i dont see why people are complaing about charging the up b, u never know it might be really great, we wont know till dec. 3 but i think they did a good job with link and it makes me wonder what kind of other improvments they will make to other vetran characters

nuro

Smash Lord
I think that whenever someone says something vague people always make assumptions out of nothing. There are still about 80 updates to go and they are all very vague. Heres advice be patient when you need to be.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Are you just trolling? They've been working on rebalancing, remember? Heavyweights will have attacks with frames of non flinchy-ness to help them out a little.
Just emphasizing the poster I quoted's point by exaggerating the general consensus of a lot of posters on this site.

My "except heavyweights" comment was because people claim that every character announced will be top tier with the exceptions of Bowzer, Donkey Kong, and Wario.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
at least they did show all the moves but i would rather they do that for every one, it also looks like their done with all of links updates

Pip

Smash Apprentice
Now that this thread seems to be slowing down slightly I'll again raise the question I was wondering about a few pages back. Does anyone suppose that the gale boomerang will be able to retrieve items at a distance?

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Why can't the Up-B be chargable even in mid-air, for extra distance/longevity/damage?

Also, I want to now what changes has been done to the bow NAO!

*SPOILER ABOUT TP's bow!*
I mean, apart from the combination option it wasn't any different in TP

I also had a cool idea - in team games Link can use the Gale Boomerang to pull friends towards the edge if they are struggling to recover. I know this is probably not the case but it would be cool with friend-helping aspects of moves in Brawl no?

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
Yes, mindgames son.
hehe I don't really see how standing at the ledge and charging your UP-B is going to confuse your opponent. It's not like you can fake it, cuz once you start charging you can't stop it to do a different attack to trick them. You either release on time and get the edge guard, or you miss.

Top Bottom