• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Special Moves

Pip

Smash Apprentice
hehe I don't really see how standing at the ledge and charging your UP-B is going to confuse your opponent. It's not like you can fake it, cuz once you start charging you can't stop it to do a different attack to trick them. You either release on time and get the edge guard, or you miss.
Ah, but the mind game in that scenario is all about the precise timing of it. Unless the opponent has been knocked to the absolute limit of what he can recover from, he'll have some small amount of leeway in choosing when to return to the ledge. He'll try to time it so that he arrives either before or after Link's attack would hit him. But a charging Link could release it at any moment, so each has to anticipate when the other person is going to make their move.

lollerskater

Smash Cadet
Here's a gif for anyone who's skeptical about the changes to Link's Up+B. It doesn't look nerfed to me...

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
I noticed they made it look like hes slashing in 2 spirals.

I just realized also, Snake is in that trailer what appears to be Ganondorfs move where he holds his foot up and smashes it down.

Ganondorf unconfirmed perhaps?

Also, Snake looks like him flying away looks pretty stupid, he flies away on his foot? >_>

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
You people need to stop presumming that chargable attack=nerfed,its getting annoying
Anyways i like this update, Link seems to be getting alot of attention,and i like how all 4 attacks and his grab were putinto the update

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Gotta love the Claw

Hope being able to charge the Up-B in mid air (assuming you can) is worth the fall time. No point doing it if you fall futher charging than if you didn't.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Just because his moves are 'better' doesn't mean he's any good. If he still has the same weight, and slow jumping speed, he's gonna be as craptacular as ever. His moves in Melee are GREAT moves. It's just that they are slow. So, the only thing that will make him better is less lag after and before his moves, and change his weight so he's not so easy to combo. That would be nice.

ShoDan

Smash Apprentice
of you use links up B you just fly op like normal, but if you charge it you will fly higer
and its kinda lame that the hookshot now autotargets, nobody ever found it hard to use it.
and i still hope you can point you bow up and down

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Hmm.. I think charging his up b will make it last longer, you know, a little like in WW. It can probably still be used in the same way. Also, has anyone noticed how every character has been made a little bit better? And Sakurai has clearly looked at some tactics and character downsides, I mean, the gale boomerang looks much more useful, in Melee if it came from behind you could still just hit link and that would deal with it, now it seems to sort of trap you for a few frames on the way back, could give link a whole load of new tactics.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm, so I guess Link is getting more changes than just his looks. I wonder if the charging thing will work like it nomrall does in Zelda games (You can hold the charge and walk forward very slowley) Also the claw shot/hook shot has been imporved, along with this wind effect on the boomerang. :O

I wonder what other moves that we've seen have gotten these kind of changes.

soaz

Smash Ace
If you ask me the most interesting thing about this update is that links up b is chargable.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Link's new moves like the Gale Boomerang and the Clawshot make him better, but not good enough to be top tier. Besides, I see ways where you can get around his Gale Boomerang and his Clawshot. Even if his Up-B can be charged, the weak points on the ground will be the head and you can only charge it up for so long. There's that and if you do it at the wrong time, you'll suffer for the lag. You also have to consider that Link is a slow and laggy character and seems to be easily comboed once again if you guys saw that trailer where Mario went all combo crazy on Link. I think Link might actually be around middle tier, but not top tier.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Maybe if you use the bow while link has a bomb in his hand, it'll be a bomb arrow =D

I was kinda dissapointed at the auto clawshot thing. I mean, it was never hard to do, and auto target just seems to be the source of future problems.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Maybe if you use the bow while link has a bomb in his hand, it'll be a bomb arrow =D

I was kinda dissapointed at the auto clawshot thing. I mean, it was never hard to do, and auto target just seems to be the source of future problems.
If he can't get back on the stage close enough, the Clawshot is useless.

Eaode

Smash Champion
yeah, but what if you're in range of a wall, but not in range of a ledge? will it shoot for the ledge and miss, even if you would have made it otherwise?

Oh well, I guess only time will tell.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
As Link is one of my mains, I'm a little concerned about having upB be chargeable. Since Link's upB is a smash attack, I want it to be as fast as possible. So even a half a second of charge could be bad.

Also an instant spin attack might be weaker than an old instant spin attack in SSBM.

Tau

Smash Apprentice
As Link is one of my mains, I'm a little concerned about having upB be chargeable. Since Link's upB is a smash attack, I want it to be as fast as possible. So even a half a second of charge could be bad.

Also an instant spin attack might be weaker than an old instant spin attack in SSBM.
i think it will be exactly the same as the old smash attack when not having been charged up, and when it's fully charged it will be great spin which is the hidden skill that you learn from the hero's spirit in TP.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
i think it will be exactly the same as the old smash attack when not having been charged up, and when it's fully charged it will be great spin which is the hidden skill that you learn from the hero's spirit in TP.

You will still lose time though. Unless theres a "C stick" for Bs.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
Awesome. The update's making me want to play Twilight Princess again, lol. I think it would cool to see Link's boomerang being able to catch items.

NukeA6

Smash Master
It looks like the U.S. section is the only one that didn't receive the update. But go to Link's profile; the update is there.

It makes sense that the spin attack is chargeable because that's how it was in the Zelda games. Though it will probaly be just a combo attack in the air instead being chargeable since that would make his third jump suck.

After looking at this update, I fully understand what Sakurai meant when he said "slightly different flavor".

I can't wait to see Zelda's moves.

Just Action

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I know why people try and guess who's going to be good or bad in Brawl, how the balance is going to be changed, etc., I just want to remind people how silly it is.

This is because of two things. The first is the same reason it's silly to discuss how anything will work in this game, and that's simply because we haven't played it yet. We don't know the specifics of moves, how they're going to work out, and so on.

But the second part is that even if we did have more in-depth information, we don't even know what a 'good move' looks like in Brawl. Going from 64 to Melee, if one saw a fast u-tilt with lots of range and, one might predict it to be a top-tier move. And while fast utilts with lots of range are useful in Melee, they aren't anything like what Pikachu, Ness, etc. have going on in 64. Why? Because of the addition of Trajectory DI, more varied falling speeds, etc.

Melee was different enough from 64 that the definition of 'really good' changed. I don't know if I can say Pikachu was nerfed a ton (in terms of the designers intentionally tweaking his moveset, although I think the bair and nair change were considerable blows) from 64 to Melee; the system was just so different that what once was a godly character was now rather bad.

The same thing could end up being true here. The system of Brawl could be different enough from Melee that a ****-looking move could, once translated to Brawl, just be mediocre; and a move that seems only decent could end up being beastly in Brawl's way of doing things.

With that out of the way, carry on claiming whatever you want about the new Link. :D

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I'll start ~

I realy like how Link is coming along, and I'm really happy to see that he got his claw shot. The only thing I'm questioning is his boomerang... I'm not a fan of the huge tornado look, and it's got a brand new technique to it.

Mind you, this new technique could be useful for pulling ememies into a well-timed spin...

Or grabbing Samus in for melee!!

Legendary_Kyle

Smash Apprentice
no one has said anything about this yet so i thought i might maybe when it is just a tapped up+b it is still the same as it was in melee but when you charge it the attack becomes the super spin attack that you learn with the scrolls from the legendary warrior in Twilight Princess , you know maybe extra long range and power if so edgeguading with link will be an all new cheap, but as a link player cant complain

whops didnt see other post but i go with what i said and what he said

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, as a Link user myself in Melee this update makes me happy to see some improvements to his moveset. I've always wanted Link to be better, he just feels too slow and I hope they at least improve his speed.

The boomerang seems helpful to my tactics, though, I wonder if you can combine throwing the boomerang and then the bomb and throw it into the gale and the gale carries it? That would be a cool way to make your bomb hit your opponents all the while taking them back to you to get a beating of a lifetime.

As for his arrows, I really do hope they're faster and don't need to be charged much if at all to do a lot of damage. I used his arrows a lot in Melee for strategy (aiming it at a bomb to make it explode so the opponent can't see the arrow enough to know when to shield). So, if it's faster and what not it'll be tons more useful and as such I plan to use it.

His Up B...I seriously doubt you'll always have to charge it. If anything, it'll probably have some knockback uncharged and that if you charge it up it gets a larger range and longer spin (look at the Nintendo World trailer, doesn't that look like a long *** spin? It's two spins, maybe charging it does three? Four? Probably four). The point is, that, it'll be a good move and have some knockback anyway and when you charge it you'll have range. I doubt you'll have to charge it in the air, that would cause some serious annoyance and you could die from it. It's probably instantaneous in the air.

As for his Clawshot, I'm really hoping it isn't that short of a grab as shown in the screen shot. That'd be some horrible range when compared to his Hookshot in Melee and Samus' chain. It looks about to be the same length as Y. Link's Hookshot grab which would severely hurt Link's range of combo to an extent. Hopefully, it's just the Clawshot only half way out and not all the way out.

The bombs, not much to say about them. I'll use them a lot, just like I did in Melee. I just hope they pack more of a punch since they're based off the TP ones (which had some nice explosions). If not, oh well, Melee style knockback is just as good.

Seems Link will remain one of my top 10 characters. Probably number 2 again. =)

D

Deleted member

no one has said anything about this yet so i thought i might maybe when it is just a tapped up+b it is still the same as it was in melee but when you charge it the attack becomes the super spin attack that you learn with the scrolls from the legendary warrior in Twilight Princess , you know maybe extra long range and power if so edgeguading with link will be an all new cheap, but as a link player cant complain

whops didnt see other post but i go with what i said and what he said
YAY! Hurricane Spin! (And we all know who was the first to use that, don't we kids...)

I don't think it will cause him to spin across the stage, but I do think that the spin will glow with more power, like in the games and in Soul Calibur.

GenG

Smash Lord
I'm not happy to hear about "homing" and "automatic" things in a game like Smash. Almost everybody could master the hookshot with few tries and the airdodge, but now you lack the freedom to grapple below the ledges for mindgames and such.

Oh well, let's see how that works.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
****it.
I hope Sakurai isn't taking the skill out of the game.

What seperated the noob links from the pro links was the ability to flawlessly nail the hookshot.

EDIT:

I hope Zelda gets an awesome Twilight Princess Moveset tweek.

Replacing her vB with light arrows/raiper anyone?
Making shiek her own character, of course.

Though, that would completely screw up my main....

D

Deleted member

****it.
I hope Sakurai isn't taking the skill out of the game.

What seperated the noob links from the pro links was the ability to flawlessly nail the hookshot.

EDIT:

I hope Zelda gets an awesome Twilight Princess Moveset tweek.

Replacing her vB with light arrows/raiper anyone?
Making shiek her own character, of course.

Though, that would completely screw up my main....
<shameless promotion> I'm against Zelda and her sword, becuase she never fought with it, and because it takes a rapier away from other characters who use it. </shameless promotion>

So Hookshooting took skill? I never noticed, I could do it well all the time. But maybe he is making the game more newcomer friendly.

Pun intended.

krynny

Smash Cadet
@ ness4life: who cares? info on the game is still info on the game.

@takun: yeah.. it wasnt SHFFL's or any other "advanced" technique?

making him have to power up the ^B isnt all bad even if it is slightly weaker if u do the instant one. Link was always a really fun character. hopefully now we can see more people playing him as a main. cant wait to see Zelda's and Ganon's specials.

Top Bottom