• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I heard this was the place for introductions so, hello Link mains! My name's Gene and I've always loved playing with Link since Smash 64. I lurk here every now and then but never post even though I've been wanting to improve with Link for some time now. I haven't been going to offline tourneys lately due to no transportation, and now I live far away from my friends that regularly go to tournaments. Real life drama has always gotten in the way for me to start taking competitive smash seriously. But I can say now that I can make time for improvement and start being more social towards smash players.

I gotta git gud with the man in green (preferably blue or shadow).:4link:
Well you should know to read the rules and stay out of shin's shed, so welcome!

Also thought you guys might be interested in this (it's for a friend's podcast and also my first foray into dubstep):
http://tindeck.com/dl/uiyge

Lozjam

Smash Champion
What @ The Merc The Merc is asking is an impossible question to answer, due to the vagueness of the question.
First off, there are multiple Young Links, such as WW Link, who is 12 at the start of the game.
However, I'm going to throw him a bone and assume he is talking about OoT Link. Of which it is still impossible to answer based on these parameters. Because, Majoras Mask Link is 1-2 years older than OoT Link. So it all depends on when.

However assuming it is OoT Link, that question is easy to answer. 12.
WW Link starts his adventure on his 12th year of his life, in which it states in game, that it was the time when OoT Link started his adventure.
This is further backed up by the fact of YL maturing enough between OoT and MM in order to use adult's equipment. YL would not have that spurt of growth and maturity if he was 10.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
What @ The Merc The Merc is asking is an impossible question to answer, due to the vagueness of the question.
First off, there are multiple Young Links, such as WW Link, who is 12 at the start of the game.
However, I'm going to throw him a bone and assume he is talking about OoT Link. Of which it is still impossible to answer based on these parameters. Because, Majoras Mask Link is 1-2 years older than OoT Link. So it all depends on when.

WW Link starts his adventure on his 12th year of his life, in which it states in game, that it was the time when OoT Link started his adventure.
This is further backed up by the fact of YL maturing enough between OoT and MM in order to use adult's equipment. YL would not have that spurt of growth and maturity if he was 10.
Actually, their is only 1 Young Link
Young Link Happy emoticon (scaled down).png

And anyway, I was asking for OoT age, though if you said MM instead, that's fine. Just minus a year from his age. And I from your points I would agree with you. However, apparently in the official player guide, it says that Young Link is apparently 10. So unless can confirm this, I would have to nearly agree with you, though I think that 10 in OoT would probable be accurate. Don't know why, it just seems so, particular because of his size. His just so tiny.

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
OK. I always thought OoT Link was 12 at the start but couldn't for the life of me remember where I saw it saying that was the case. Now I know I'm not crazy.
I'm in a bad mood.
What would you guys say the Link vs Mario MU is? A few Marios think it's in Link's favor.
A little late on this but it is DEFINITELY in Mario's favor. 35-65 to 40-60 range. tl;dr version, we're combo bait and get destroyed in CQC, and he's too small, quick, and cape-y for us to set up our projectile game, plus edgeguarding.

Last edited:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Well, we all know that Link from OoT was sealed for seven years, so that he can be an adult to take on Ganondorf and save Hyrule, yadayada. Well, if we can find out Adult Link's age, then just use math. To be 12 as a kid, his adult age would have to be 19. We all know that OoT Adult Link is not 19 years old. He is 17. So, the answer to Young Link's age in Ocarina of Time is 10.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Technically the name 'Young Link', like 'Toon Link' was made up for smash bros to separate characters. It works for the LoZ series too but I don't think OoT Link is officially 'Young Link'. *shrug*
IMO the wind waker style is toon Link but not young Link.

My Grandma fell and is in the hospital, more stress to deal with :(

OT I was looking up the PS4 HD version of FFX. It doesn't look that much better than the PS2 origional and Tidus' eyes look like raccoon eyes. Disappointing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j0ivYxSG70

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
So recently I've gotten into jogging every morning. I used to only be able to manage jogging 1 mile out of the four miles of my daily route. Now, I can jog 4 miles without stopping. The transition took about 1 week, and man does it feel like a great accomplishment.
Also, for anyone in the Seattle, Tacoma, or Olympia area, I have access to water park passes. If you'd like a pass, let me know a couple of days in advance, and I'll see if I can hook you up with one.
There are water parks in that area? Since when?

Also I was at PAX this weekend and dropped by the tourney area. Talked to Zero a bit Sat night, and got to see M2K & Leffen in person (didn't really know what to talk with them, so I didn't really try). Also, got a pic and autograph with Grant Kirkhope, which was pretty cool among other things :). Didn't get to catch Zero to play any friendlies with him. I technically could have played some Melee friendlies with Leffen, but I haven't played Melee in years and have no idea how to Wavedash, etc. so I didn't bother lol.

I did play some friendlies with some folks, but I generally did pretty well against them. Playing offline is SO much better....

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
What's up?

I haven't played smash much lately. My grandma got out of the hospital yesterday and I'm feeling worn out. There's a lot of smoke in the air from fires in other states and it's making my allergies act up. That plus the heat is deterring me from going outside more than I have to.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
What's up?

I haven't played smash much lately. My grandma got out of the hospital yesterday and I'm feeling worn out. There's a lot of smoke in the air from fires in other states and it's making my allergies act up. That plus the heat is deterring me from going outside more than I have to.
I bought Metal Gear Solid 5. Best decision I ever made.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
I'm back fellow Link mains! Took a short hiatus trying different characters, mainly rotating between Zelda, Capt. Falcon & Roy, but never fear, Link has regained his starting job!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I bought Metal Gear Solid 5. Best decision I ever made.
What is Metal Gear like anyway?

People like NonSepcificGuy have show major excitement towards it, though I don't know to much about it except the basics.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

People like NonSepcificGuy have show major excitement towards it, though i never really heard of the series until recently.
Metal Gear is an old series that began back during the NES days. It's generally a stealth and combat game. Think of it as you're THE guy they drop into an area to handle some of the most dangerous events in the fictional world setting of Metal Gear.
Anyways, you gather intel, move forward, complete objectives, attempt to not get caught, fight, and survive using the most minimalist amount of tools at your disposal.
Metal Gear eventually lead to the sequel series, Metal Gear Solid, which retains this same gameplay for the most part and executes it quite while.
Overall it plays well and feels well to accomplish your objectives, and they've done a good job at giving you options on you wish to progress through areas.

As for the name, Metal Gears are often weapons developed and planned for use by organizations seeking to get a better foothold as a world power. These weapons are mobile platforms (pronounced giant robots) armed to the teeth that can also launch nukes from any point on the planet to any point on the planet - hence why they're dangerous.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632

People like NonSepcificGuy have show major excitement towards it, though i never really heard of the series until recently.
It's amazing. Go buy the first one and play from there (maybe the GameCube version)

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
You never heard of Metal Gear? Skydog explains it pretty well, but still. It's a surprisingly amazing game, and I recommend it to any gamer that likes a good story.

Also, how many arrows does it take to initiate a jab reset? Also, can it be less than that number (if the number is greater than 1)?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Metal Gear is an old series that began back during the NES days. It's generally a stealth and combat game. Think of it as you're THE guy they drop into an area to handle some of the most dangerous events in the fictional world setting of Metal Gear.
Anyways, you gather intel, move forward, complete objectives, attempt to not get caught, fight, and survive using the most minimalist amount of tools at your disposal.
Metal Gear eventually lead to the sequel series, Metal Gear Solid, which retains this same gameplay for the most part and executes it quite while.
Overall it plays well and feels well to accomplish your objectives, and they've done a good job at giving you options on you wish to progress through areas.

As for the name, Metal Gears are often weapons developed and planned for use by organizations seeking to get a better foothold as a world power. These weapons are mobile platforms (pronounced giant robots) armed to the teeth that can also launch nukes from any point on the planet to any point on the planet - hence why they're dangerous.
Oh, I know the story of the series and the characters, Big Boss and Solid Snake. Just wanted to know what it's like. I might get. That or the Metroid games. Or Sonic.

It's amazing. Go buy the first one and play from there (maybe the GameCube version)
You mean the original one 16 (8?) bit one or a different one?

You never heard of Metal Gear? Skydog explains it pretty well, but still. It's a surprisingly amazing game, and I recommend it to any gamer that likes a good story.
Oh no, i heard of the games before and know the basic story. Just wondering if it was as good as people say it is.

Hm, I do love a good story in games (Skyward Sword). I might get. Though i heard it can get very confusing.

:135:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Play the Metal Gear Solid games in this order: 3, Port Ops, Peace Walker, 5, 1, 2, 4, Revengence(gotta include that one, it's amazing, although it's more hack n slash than stealth)

iirc, that's how the timeline goes (not including the Metal Gear games, I think they're in between 5 and 1, though)

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Also, how many arrows does it take to initiate a jab reset? Also, can it be less than that number (if the number is greater than 1)?
It's not a 'jab-reset' it's a 'lock'. It only requires one move under the right conditions (e.g. hitting the opponent during their wobble animation because they missed a tech or were forced to miss a tech out of being footstooled) to lock the opponent. At that point if you leave them they will be forced to stand up, and if you hit them again with a move that has locking properties during their new wobble animation you can lock them again, but you can only lock them a maximum of three times in a row.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Play the Metal Gear Solid games in this order: 3, 5, 1, 2, 4, Revengence(gotta include that one, it's amazing, although it's more hack n slash than stealth)

iirc, that's how the timeline goes (not including the Metal Gear games, I think they're in between 5 and 1, though)
Though playing them in release order has its benefits. The way the details of the story unfolds and the twists happen are the most effective that way

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
'Sup Links~

So I found out recently that, according to vox pop data, Link is the most played character in the Irish competitive scene.

Our top players can vouch for the fact that about 50% of the entire scene plays Link or has him as a pocket.

I don't know why this is. Maybe it's because he's somehow Celtic in his design, maybe it's because the struggle to emancipate Link from the shackles of mid-tier reminds us of our own struggle against the British foe. Maybe it's just because our scene is filled to to proverbial brim with young players who think Link is objectively the best character in the game. I'unno. Theorycraft, eh?

For what it's worth, there's a Link player in the "honorable mentions" section of the Irish power rankings. So at least somebody in our fair nation represents fairy boy to a decent degree.

Slán leat~

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
'Sup Links~

So I found out recently that, according to vox pop data, Link is the most played character in the Irish competitive scene.

Our top players can vouch for the fact that about 50% of the entire scene plays Link or has him as a pocket.

I don't know why this is. Maybe it's because he's somehow Celtic in his design, maybe it's because the struggle to emancipate Link from the shackles of mid-tier reminds us of our own struggle against the British foe. Maybe it's just because our scene is filled to to proverbial brim with young players who think Link is objectively the best character in the game. I'unno. Theorycraft, eh?
Maybe it's because Link's tunic is green.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Play the Metal Gear Solid games in this order: 3, 5, 1, 2, 4, Revengence(gotta include that one, it's amazing, although it's more hack n slash than stealth)

Question. How many of these Metal Gear games have to be play on consoles like Xbox or Playstation?

'Sup Links~

For what it's worth, there's a Link player in the "honorable mentions" section of the Irish power rankings. So at least somebody in our fair nation represents fairy boy to a decent degree.

Slán leat~
You're Irish Wintropy?

Top Bottom