• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Its pretty great that at any chance there's always flood of comments asking about K. Rool. Seems to be growing as well. Going by what seems to be the currently thinking and timescale I know its properly already too late but I hope this just adds to the weight and chances of what we ultimately want to see.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Reading how K.Rool is the single mpsm popular character in Japan really warms me up. It's indeed QUITE the accomplishment for a character that hasn't appeared in 10 years time. And I think we can thank the overal popularity and iconic status of the original Donkey Kong Country and the fact it has withstanded so well throughout time. The SNES mini and the many times of the SNES games being ported has a lot to do with this I imagine (the quality of the SNES games easily exheeds the GBA versions).

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
They better remix all of King K. Rool's boss battles. DKC, DKC2, DKC3 and DK64!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Geez, looks like that Nintendo podcast won't have many options for answering questions.... it's either answer the fans about K. Rool and the Kremlings or answer why the game is full priced....

I wonder how we should take it if they completely dodge any of the questions about K. Rool....

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Reading how K.Rool is the single mpsm popular character in Japan really warms me up. It's indeed QUITE the accomplishment for a character that hasn't appeared in 10 years time. And I think we can thank the overal popularity and iconic status of the original Donkey Kong Country and the fact it has withstanded so well throughout time. The SNES mini and the many times of the SNES games being ported has a lot to do with this I imagine (the quality of the SNES games easily exheeds the GBA versions).
In some ways I'm not surprised K Rool has continued to be the face of Villains in the Donkey Kong series. Mostly because he was the most consistent presence for a long time. Since his departure in the series every villain has mostly been one time villains or ones that aren't particular memorable.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Retro could score big "brownie points" by just returning him to the series. He had that islander redesign? I thought it was only a matter of time. Retro could really hit a home run by somehow explaining that K Rool was behind DKC Returns and TF.

The Tikis and Snowmads couldve been used by him. Or Frederick was his long lost brother or something. Seeing Frederick team up with Krool would be amazing with Krool betraying him after he has what he wants or something to that extent.

I honestly always imagined that we'd see some type of actual story hint that Krool has indeed returned. Whether it was defeating Lord Frederick on a new difficulty mode in TF for Switch or 100% the highest difficulty.

When Lord Frederick is defeated, his helmet would come toppling off to show what looks like green skin. The walrus mustache and viking helm wouldve been a killer new Krool suit.

I love how Lord Frederick and Krool are built so similar and the final Tiki boss in DKCR has one BIG eye and one small eye. Even if those things mean nothing, I appreciate the nod to Krool. Then there was that rock with an eye on it and banana crown. Anytime...now....

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I speculate that King K. Rool getting attention in Japan is likely how the Japanese are fond of the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy, or as it's known there Super Donkey Kong. From what I understand, the Japanese have a fondness the Rare-developed games more than the later Donkey Kong games. But I actually think the reason is from the cartoon. Let me explain.

Seiyuus (voice actors) are very cherished in Japan, so much so that just the mere star power of an actor involved is enough to make or break a product. This is why you commonly see voice actors being listed during trailers of Japanese games, because marketers are aware of this phenomena and want to exploit it as much as they can. Characters sometimes become popular just by the sole fact that they are voiced by a specific person.

Specifically for the Donkey Kong Country cartoon, they actually hired quite a number of known talent to voice the characters. Highlights include Koichi Yamadera as Donkey Kong, Megumi Hayashibara as Diddy King, and Jurota Kosugi as King K. Rool. For the latter, Jurota Kosugi commonly voices villains for all sorts of anime, being one of the staples for "villain" type characters along with Joji Nakata and Norio Wakamoto. However he's also notably known for voicing James Bond in Japanese dubs.

The Japanese dub of the cartoon is surprisingly good all things considered, like here's the first episode as an example.

my prediction on the nintendo twitter thing is that they will ignore all of the k rool kremling comments, and only pick replys that ask about tropical freeze the game and not whats missing from it.

its still good to show that we care though

D

Deleted member

The NP podcast will likely go PR and dodge every question we throw at them, honestly.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Retro could really hit a home run by somehow explaining that K Rool was behind DKC Returns and TF.
I wouldn't be surprised if K. Rool was behind the events of Returns and Tropical Freeze all along. For awhile I've had this gut feeling that K. Rool performed some sort of ritual to awaken the Tikis and told the Snowmads about the paradise known as DK Island.

Maybe after his last defeat he had the idea to have other threats take on the Kongs, and if they succeeded he would come back and attack the Tikis/Snowmads to take the island for himself with the Kongs out of the way. But since everything failed...maybe he'll finally snap and just go for an all-out attack on the island. Thus leading to the Kremling Krew's big return in the 3rd Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country. (Well, assuming that they're in the next DKC and we don't get a another new enemy like space aliens or something.)

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if K. Rool was behind the events of Returns and Tropical Freeze all along. For awhile I've had this gut feeling that K. Rool performed some sort of ritual to awaken the Tikis and told the Snowmads about the paradise known as DK Island.

Maybe after his last defeat he had the idea to have other threats take on the Kongs, and if they succeeded he would come back and attack the Tikis/Snowmads to take the island for himself with the Kongs out of the way. But since everything failed...maybe he'll finally snap and just go for an all-out attack on the island. Thus leading to the Kremling Krew's big return in the 3rd Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country. (Well, assuming that they're in the next DKC and we don't get a another new enemy like space aliens or something.)
ngl I'd take a game where space aliens were presented as another new one off DK antagonist, only for the final boss to be a Darth Vader K. Rool.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

I agree, this idea would be an awesome turn-around finale for Retro’s DKC. After all these strange new villains, DK and his crew are worn out and ready to finally relax...

But then, SUPRISE! K. Rool and the Kremlings have returned. They’ve been behind the scenes the whole time, stirring up trouble within the Tikis and the Snomads, and now they finally get to the Kongs when they’re at their weakest. This would bring back the cunning, strategic, villainous kroc in the best way possible (besides joining Smash Bros, of course :chuckle:)

___

Honestly, the reason I’m trying to avoid posting here too much is because I don’t want to repeat what happened last time. I basically lived in the old thread, read it daily, and was practically CONVINCED we were getting K. Rool... and then we got the Mii costume. I still have my doubts, but I do feel like the King has a better chance than ever. :)

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the reason I’m trying to avoid posting here too much is because I don’t want to repeat what happened last time. I basically lived in the old thread, read it daily, and was practically CONVINCED we were getting K. Rool... and then we got the Mii costume. I still have my doubts, but I do feel like the King has a better chance than ever. :)
This is what I was thinking but I've kinda been sucked back in and now I think I believe its going to happen more so than ever. THE EVIDENCE!. Thing is this little community is great. As I said before I was very pleasantly surprised it was still going and pretty much most people and still fighting or at least hoping for this little dream.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Honestly, the reason I’m trying to avoid posting here too much is because I don’t want to repeat what happened last time. I basically lived in the old thread, read it daily, and was practcally CONVINCED we were getting K. Rool... and then we got the Mii costume. I still have my doubts, but I do feel like the King has a better chance than ever. :)
Agreed I'm trying not to get overly hyped again and then when Smash Switch releases we get no K.Rool. I remember when the last Smash Wii U/3DS direct aired I was for sure we were gonna get K.Rool due to browsing this site/thread everyday I was like "No way he get's left out he was at the top of the ballot!" then we open with Corrin's reveal trailer and from that moment I knew K.Rool was dead in the water (also thanks to the Mii Costume). I didn't even want to finish the presentation because I knew the ballot (for Wii U/3DS not counting if they use it for this smash) was a sham and marketing ploy. I'm a Fire Emblem fan and even I was disappointed by yet another Fire Emblem character. Then we got Bayonetta a character at the time I knew barely anything about as I didn't play her games (though am now in love with her after playing the Switch ports). I eventually bought the DLC months after release but was so disappointed by the lack of Rool and Wolf.

Little tangent about Wolf even though this isn't the Wolf thread but I always thought of funny reason why Wolf didn't return. I just pictured in my head Nintendo telling Sakurai to add Wolf back into the game to promote Star Fox Zero (the same way they told him to add Corrin to promote Fates), he was about to do it and then he played Zero and was like "This game is HORRIBLE I can't in my good conscience promote this game" Then he quickly deleted the Wolf coding off of his cpu. But now figuring out he never wanted to add Wolf in Brawl to begin with due to what was said above on a previous page it makes since now in hindsight.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What many thought was a slap in the face (myself included), may have just been the biggest case of foreshadowing...

I truly hope I'm right on this...
Yeah, it's much easier to be positive about the costume as a "bone to the fans" now than it was in mid-2015, when we didn't know a new game was already in the planning stages at the time and the ballot would (in all likelihood) have way more influence over its roster than it would over DLC choices, which the team ended up reserving largely for attention-grabbing third parties.

Which, you can debate whether Nintendo should have gone with more first-party DLC newcomers, chosen more characters from the ballot, waited until all the results were in or whatever, but in hindsight the approach they took could very well have been a blessing in disguise. If K. Rool becomes a newcomer now, he'll get the full newcomer treatment rather than a dinky gameplay-only trailer and no custom moves, and will be appearing before a much larger install base on the Switch vs. the Wii U. (We may still get snubbed in the scenario Tropical Freeze, its port and/or a new game weren't "in the right window of time" and Sakurai doesn't communicate with Retro again, but that's a bridge to be crossed when we get to it, if we do).

Not that it makes sense to self-flagellate, but I can say, rereading some of my old posts, that I wish I'd have been a little more appreciative of the costume at the time, knowing what it could mean now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, it's much easier to be positive about the costume as a "bone to the fans" now than it was in mid-2015, when we didn't know a new game was already in the planning stages at the time and the ballot would (in all likelihood) have way more influence over its roster than it would over DLC choices, which the team ended up reserving largely for attention-grabbing third parties.

Which, you can debate whether Nintendo should have gone with more first-party DLC newcomers, chosen more characters from the ballot, waited until all the results were in or whatever, but in hindsight the approach they took could very well have been a blessing in disguise. If K. Rool becomes a newcomer now, he'll get the full newcomer treatment rather than a dinky gameplay-only trailer and no custom moves, and will be appearing before a much larger install base on the Switch vs. the Wii U. (We may still get snubbed in the scenario Tropical Freeze, its port and/or a new game weren't "in the right window of time" and Sakurai doesn't communicate with Retro again, but that's a bridge to be crossed when we get to it, if we do).

Not that it makes sense to self-flagellate, but I can say, rereading some of my old posts, that I wish I'd have been a little more appreciative of the costume at the time, knowing what it could mean now.
You know what they say, Hindsight is 20/20. Although i do wonder if someone else than K.Rool benefits from the Mii Costume.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I’m very excited to see loads of support in Japan for the Kroc. He was at or near the top of every fan poll I saw for Sm4sh DLC, so I think Nintendo may have taken notice and we’ve got better chances than ever of seeing K. Rool at least in a new DK game and/or Smash.

Also, I can’t think of too many first party characters who would drum up the base once they finally do give us announcements. (Well, one in particular, but they’ll act all coy and evasive about him until the bitter end. Again.) Inklings were expected, so people were happy to see them, but that front’s gone quiet. I could also see Springman making similar waves for DLC at least. But if they want a character with a hype train...

Ugh, I need to stop getting myself excited. I need news so bad!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I’m very excited to see loads of support in Japan for the Kroc. He was at or near the top of every fan poll I saw for Sm4sh DLC, so I think Nintendo may have taken notice and we’ve got better chances than ever of seeing K. Rool at least in a new DK game and/or Smash.

Also, I can’t think of too many first party characters who would drum up the base once they finally do give us announcements. (Well, one in particular, but they’ll act all coy and evasive about him until the bitter end. Again.) Inklings were expected, so people were happy to see them, but that front’s gone quiet. I could also see Springman making similar waves for DLC at least. But if they want a character with a hype train...

Ugh, I need to stop getting myself excited. I need news so bad!
Nintendo were never really that coy or evasive about Ridley. They revealed Yellow Devil as a stage boss, mentioned other characters would show up as them, and then very plainly suggested that that meant Ridley. The hint was as obvious as Game and Watches appearance in the Pacman trailer and Dark Pit in that of Palutena.

This said, I am one of the ones that managed to convince himself that the K Rool Mii costume didn't mean the end of the dream for Smash 4 DLC, to the point I was unbelievably salty at the last direct. It's hard when you really care about that character.

Troykv

Smash Master
Who would imagine a character like K. Rool would ended up being so popular even in freaking Japan?

I mean, K. Rool doesn't exactly looks like something that Japan would like (outside of being a reptile xD)... he's influence around the world is quite amazing.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/986335348488781825

Nintendo wants to know what we would like to ask for a podcast regarding Tropical Freeze. Make sure to ask about King K. Rool and the Kremlings.
I'm pretty much diametrically opposed to social media, although this is mighty tempting. Perhaps I'l shoot a question to Nintendo, if I have the time.
KING K. ROOL SETS SAIL (or whatever you want the tagline to be)
KING K. ROOL KONQUERS THE KOMPETITION :D
Imagine your own face when Sakurai addresses that K. Rool is too big for Smash. :troll:
I'll continue to imagine the day King K. Rool is revealed instead, thanks. Even if it's destined to remain only in my imagination.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
With all the tweets that post has been getting about K. Rool (I did my part! One more question about the Kroc for Ninty), I hope at the very least we get a throw away joke like "Oh, so many people are asking where K. Rool and his army went, didn't you hear? He missed the boat ride home back in Mario Super Sluggers and has been trapped on the island since!" or something goofy. I can imagine them going PR mode and ignoring the Ellie the Elephant in the rooom, but I CAN'T imagine the fan reaction being pleasant. Also, when/where can I listen to their podcast? It's about DK, I gotta be there!

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Y'know what, if Retro is doing a new DKC and K. Rool's the main villain, I hope that they don't have him as the mastermind of the past 2 games. Tiki Tong and Frederik are one-time villains anyway with their own flair (music powers and ice magic); let them stand out as their own entities who tried to start problems with DK. If they're just pawns of K. Rool's they lose some of that individuality and just turn out to be a Hijacked By Ganon scenario.

One of the MAAAAANY things I love about the new DKCs and even Jungle Beat is that DK's got more than one enemy besides the Kremlings and it stays varied. IDK about you guys, but I get tired of having to beat down Bowser and Ganondorf in nearly every main Mario and Zelda. Yea K. Rool changes his appearance often to avoid that but it's always refreshing to take on completely new enemies, especially if we'll come back to K. Rool eventually. Fighting him after a good round of one off foes makes it more dramatic; it's fine having nods to him but we don't need wannabes either.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
You know what they say, Hindsight is 20/20. Although i do wonder if someone else than K.Rool benefits from the Mii Costume.
Geno. I see no reason why they would get the rights to his character just for a Mii costume... seems like a complete waste. I think a few of the Mii costumes are forshadowing newcomer's like the Inkling's

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think K. Rool should be in most games in some form even if he's not the main villain, like Dedede, though not so defanged like Dedede. But yes, I agree, I don't like the idea of retconning the past two games and making it all about K. Rool. Those two villains should stand on their own. I also feel it kind of detracts from K. Rool. K. Rool has a particular style and these last two games' villains did not match it.

Another thing I'm sure we've all be thinking about. I wonder if Wrinkly Kong doesn't move on to the afterlife because that would mean moving on to hell? Maybe she's waiting for Cranky to join her so they can go together. Aw.

And before you mention it, of course she isn't going to heaven. When two kids risked their life to save her son, she charged them to save their game. You don't recover from that.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Literally doesn't matter for the context of the conversation.
Geno. I see no reason why they would get the rights to his character just for a Mii costume... seems like a complete waste. I think a few of the Mii costumes are forshadowing newcomer's like the Inkling's
Takamaru, the only thing stopping Sakurai from putting him was his Japan exclusiveness and his costume gets more people to know him.

D

Deleted member

Takamaru, the only thing stopping Sakurai from putting him was his Japan exclusiveness and his costume gets more people to know him.
Ok, why do you keep quoting things I say in other threads and respond to them in completely different ones (though this one wasn't responded to)?

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
As an aspiring writer and video game developer of my own some day, I've thought many times about Nintendo games/pre-existing series games I myself would make that will probably never happen.

I had an idea once of a brand new 3D Mario with the premise that Bowser and K. Rool teamed up to help each other achieve their own goals, and mixing their armies and technologies to make an unstoppable army.

Meanwhile, Mario has to team up with his long time rival and unlikely ally, Donkey Kong, to save Peach... and like a thousand bananas... (And maybe Diddy too if K. Rool is feeling particularly merciless that day). Cue humorous cutscenes of Mario and DK butting heads and arguing in pseudo Italian gibberish and "ooh ooh ooh" as DK is as stubborn and brash as ever, contrasting Mario's less aggressive, more item and object based adventures, but DK acts as the partner of this game, a la Luma and Cappy, chucking Mario around, using him as a blunt weapon to hit things with, cargo throwing Mario like a barrel into a rolling attack, etc. Maybe there's a partner switch out system like in the DKC games, where you can play as DK or Mario, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Mario jumps, DK smashes walls, Fire Flower VS. Coconut Gun, etc.

Meanwhile, Bowser and K. Rool are butting heads just as often, with K. Rools cruel machinations and long term planning colliding with Bowsers head on approach, but they still work together in multiple boss fights, probably the standard formula of a Bowser fight repeated thrice throughout the game with increasing difficulty and probably a new phase during the final boss, but this time it's some combination of Bowser and K. Rool. Something crazy like them sharing Bowser's clown car, but it has a Krown now and has "Klown Kar" painted on the front in big letters, meanwhile Bowser is firing fireballs and Koopa shells and Bullet Bills from K. Rools blunderbuss as K. Rool throws Mecha Koopas or something.

Most if not all bosses could combine Bowser and K. Rool's armies as well. Imagine a fight where Kamek enchants a Krusha to make him really big and roided out. Or have a large Monty Mole throwing large wrenches, but you get a free hit to get his attention, from then which Kleever knocks the wrench out of the Mole's hand and lets the mole throw the haunted sword, from which the real boss battle begins, just crazy stuff like that.

I hope I don't make anyone sad by tantalizing them with a game that's probably not happening. Hey, maybe if all the stars and planets align on a blue moon during the eclipse, this idea will be like that story of that guy who posted on a forum saying his dream is to work at Nintendo, and then years later that guy's name appeared in the Breath of the Wild credits. Writers are always told to hold onto their ideas, just in case.

Now excuse me as I copy this into a word document now, and probably add to it as I'm getting my excited itch to write again.
That's such an awesome idea for a crossover game! It is unfortunate that such a game is unlikely to happen, but at this point I'd even take an interaction between Bowser and K. Rool in a story mode for a sports game. I guess our only hope to that would be another Sluggers game, but I have no idea how likely that is. Regardless, I really liked your idea, so thanks for sharing it. It's always fun to read posts like these.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think K. Rool should be in most games in some form even if he's not the main villain, like Dedede, though not so defanged like Dedede. But yes, I agree, I don't like the idea of retconning the past two games and making it all about K. Rool. Those two villains should stand on their own. I also feel it kind of detracts from K. Rool. K. Rool has a particular style and these last two games' villains did not match it.
I always thought the best way to handle it was to create a "what if" scenario.

Coincidentally, like how you compare King K. Rool to King Dedede. Dededetour in Kirby Triple Deluxe is a bonus mode where you play through every stage and beat every boss as King Dedede in a "what if" scenario, with the catch being that it's streamlined for the sake of speedrunning. There could be a mode similar to that, where instead of Donkey Kong you play as King K. Rool with his own set of abilities, playing through every stage and beating every boss as fast as possible. They could make the excuse that King K. Rool wants to beat the new bad guy for his own selfish reasons, in another scheme to beat Donkey Kong. Such as taking their land and resources to create a new Crocodile Island, or discovering that the new bad guy has a powerful weapon he could exploit for his own needs.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Here's an idea for a K. Rool attack:

You remember the crack-shot kroc from DKC3 and DK64 that says "GET OUT" in a scary voice? What if K. Rool could summon that Kroc in battle with a twist. The Kroc's reticle targets HIM. Kremlings hate K. Rool perhaps even more than the Kongs TBH. So if you're playing as K. Rool, this incentivizes you to get close to your opponents so you could get them in the line of fire. But, of course, the crack shot kroc could end up hitting you. The kroc would shoot a cartoony fireball so as to not be too scary.

This would be in a moveset and playstyle where K. Rool is a glass cannon sort of character with powerful attacks that can go very wrong for him.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
That's such an awesome idea for a crossover game! It is unfortunate that such a game is unlikely to happen, but that this point I'd even take an interaction between Bowser and K. Rool in a story mode for a sports game. I guess our only hope to that would be another Sluggers game, but I have no idea how likely that is. Regardless, I really liked your idea, so thanks for sharing it. It's always fun to read posts like these.
Hey, thanks for the kind words! It's nice when people are receptive to my ideas. Glad I could post something neat that gives this board some of its' flavor.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
K. Rool is not really in my top 10 most wanted, but I do think he could be included in Smash. He'd be fun and nostalgic for all us older gamers who grew up with the SNES and the DK Country trilogy. I just realized I've never posted in this thread to officially show my support.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
This will probably me my most hype Smash if we get K. Rool, Geno, and Takamaru all in one iteration as newcomers. All characters at least in my top ten, K. Rool being #1 obviously.

With all the talk of whether the mii costumes indicate characters that have a strong chance for Sma5h, sometimes I wonder what the Ridley board would be thinking if Sakurai dropped them a Ridley costume.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
The amount of love and support K. Rool and the Kremlings are getting on Twitter really warms my heart.

As I speak Japanese (beginner's level), I noticed K. Rool is actually seriously popular in Japan. Probably the most requested first-party there along with other names that pop-up like Wolf, Snake, Bandana Dee, etc. With this, the brand new trademark for his name back in 2015 for DK: Jungle Climber, the brand new from scratch Mii costume based off his classic design and his severe popularity, I feel like this is the best chance he's ever had for Smash.

Literally: I've NEVER seen such a huge amount of popularity and support for one singular character, especially for his popularity to keep growing and growing with every Smash iteration. His popularity (imo) is at its peak! To make things better, it's a character that hasn't appeared in 10 years. The fans never forgot him. Ideal situation would be:

New Retro project is the third in the DKCR line, K. Rool/Kremlings back, *Switch logo*, *Smash hijinks* and...

KING K. ROOL SETS SAIL (or whatever you want the tagline to be)

I think...next month...or at E3...

Our journey...

Will finally end.

ALL SIGNS POINT TO THE HYPE TRAIN BEGINNING WITH KONDUCTOR K. ROOL LEADING THE PACK.

I GOT THAT FEELING, BOYS.
I've been observing Japanese opinions on DKC and Smash for a while now. King K. Rool is very popular in Japan. To them, he's as iconic as Bowser and King Dedede (one even joked he's popular because he's a crocodile and that's cool). He's definitely the most requested 1st party newcomer (as seen in Source Gamings poll) to be added in Smash. Rare in general was a popular studio in Japan which is why they love the original DKC, DK64, Banjo, and even Star Fox Adventures (despite its mixed reception here). They've have been very passionate about K. Rool's return and many were hoping his inclusion in Smash 4 would be his big return. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. And... I don't even want to get into the Mii costume that was added as DLC. Many of them were upset and confused about it. So right now they're all patiently waiting for his comeback. Hopefully, we'll see that happen someday.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I really like the idea of having the Tiki's and Vikings being sent by K. Rool himself to deal with the Kongs. I've seen the theory be brought up before during the last K. Rool thread, but now I see it more often. Something I'd love to see is if the opening game had Fredrick and Tiki Tong returning to him being all sad and disappointing that they couldn't defeat DK and his crew. So then that just angers K. Rool and has him go after the kongs himself.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm currently playing DKC on my SNES mini, and this game makes me MAD!

I love it so far, especially after watching The Geek Critique's videos of the DKC games.

I have seen the fight of K. Rool many times on YouTube, but I wanna play for myself to the end to see if I end up loving K. Rool's characterization.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
What are some ways you guys think K. Rool's crown toss could be unique compared to things like Link's boomerang?

One idea is to make it more powerful than all of those other similar items. It can be justified I think. His crown is huge and heavy.
A weakness to the attack could be that K. Rool's crown could actually be grabbed by opponents. They could toss it back at him or maybe they could even wear it themselves. It could augment their attacks. It would return to K. Rool after a short amount of time.

Another option to balance it is that, instead of being an item opponents could grab, the crown would have to be grabbed by K. Rool on its way back to him. This would be different than Link's boomerang where Link doesn't need to do anything for it to return to him. You'd actually have to press A or something to make sure you grab the crown. Otherwise, the crown will still return to you but it will damage K. Rool in the process.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
What are some ways you guys think K. Rool's crown toss could be unique compared to things like Link's boomerang?

One idea is to make it more powerful than all of those other similar items. It can be justified I think. His crown is huge and heavy.
A weakness to the attack could be that K. Rool's crown could actually be grabbed by opponents. They could toss it back at him or maybe they could even wear it themselves. It could augment their attacks. It would return to K. Rool after a short amount of time.

Another option to balance it is that, instead of being an item opponents could grab, the crown would have to be grabbed by K. Rool on its way back to him. This would be different than Link's boomerang where Link doesn't need to do anything for it to return to him. You'd actually have to press A or something to make sure you grab the crown. Otherwise, the crown will still return to you but it will damage K. Rool in the process.
I would probably make it pretty fast, much faster than Link or Toon Links boomerang, and transcendent, so it will go through shields. K Rool can't use it again until it returns, and takes slightly more damage/knockback without it.

In many ways you should interpret this as most similar to ROBs laser. It will go through shields and can't be spammed, but is otherwise a fast, useful projectile. Unlike ROB, it actively weakens K Rool for using it, and doesn't charge into a stronger version. However, it returns with a (weaker) hitbox that can make it very good at trapping people, and punishing opponents who don't take advantage of the weakened K Rool effectively.

All round would make him a trickier character, which I really like.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm currently playing DKC on my SNES mini, and this game makes me MAD!

I love it so far, especially after watching The Geek Critique's videos of the DKC games.

I have seen the fight of K. Rool many times on YouTube, but I wanna play for myself to the end to see if I end up loving K. Rool's characterization.
I'll be honest if you want to appreciate his character to the fullest it's best to play DKC2 and DK64 by far his best when it comes to showing more personality from him. If anything DKC is probably his most bland characterization aside from his Kredits trick.

Top Bottom