• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sakurai himself made the statement that had Awakening released 6 months earlier or later, Robin may have not been considered whilst in the same FE interview specifically noting a Pokemon X and Y newcomer as the exception.

There is no guarantee that Sakurai would want to give Rex the Greninja treatment. Sakurai also rejected Olimar in Melee despite being aware of him because of how new he was at the time.

Rex and an ARMS character could make it in the base roster. They could not.

That said regarding Lucas...Lucas may have been at one point planned in Melee, but he was planned as a replacement for Ness, meaning that his moveset wouldn't have had to be conceptualized and the biggest thing that Sakurai would have to worry about was Lucas' character design, which probably would have been finalized some time ago back then, given the long development history spanning 4 consoles.

That said, he still ended up the only Brawl newcomer to make their debut the year after the Brawl roster was finalised (though Mother 3 on the GBA was meant to be released in 2005 before being bumped up)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

K. Rool would open the floodgates in a crazy way. Never has a non-retro character appeared in Smash after being missing for a decade (and never any character from an already established franchise). It'd be a historic moment and probably boost the chances greatly of characters like Geno.
I don’t agree with this sentiment. Remember that he is in an unique situation as far as characters go as Sakurai took note of his popularity. Typically, if a character is under limbo, it’s because they are irrelevant, not just unrecent.

Geno and Banjo-Kazooie are maybes due to the former being mentioned as very popular by Sakurai and the latter would be a historic move in gaming history alongside massive fan demand but characters like Isaac are still not getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'm glad that someone finally make the distinction between actual relevancy and just being recent. Too many people think they are one and the same.
Exactly. People overestimate the influence lack of recent appearances have on importance and popularity. It’s not just in a Smash context but also in general. I’ve had to argue this so many time on this forum before I just gave up due to people not listening.

There’s countless examples of characters, stories, games, etc. that have not received an update in decades, centuries, or millennia yet are still relevant because they continue to have an impact on the people who know them, possibly even cultural impact. Not that K. Rool made a cultural impact on society but it shows how important of a character he is if we keep coming back to fight for him even after several painful defeats.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'd argue why King K. Rool managed to get fans is because of the character development he received on a meta level.

In the first Donkey Kong Country game, he honestly acted more or less like a Bowser wannabe. A big scary version of the Kremlings you fought along the way who stole the banana hoard for his own purposes, you can easily compare that to Bowser and his habit of kidnapping Peach. The only thing that was clever about him was that infamous "Kredits" bit where he tried to trick you during his fight.

However Donkey Kong Country 2 was when King K. Rool started to develop into more of his own character, such as being savvy enough to kidnap his arch-enemy and use him as ransom, started his interest in having different personas, and showing off his more demented side such as torturing DK right in front of Diddy's and Dixie's faces. Donkey Kong Country 3 and Donkey Kong 64 would follow a similar progression, showing that despite how clumsy he appears to be, is still rather ruthless and dangerously savvy.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'd argue why King K. Rool managed to get fans is because of the character development he received on a meta level.

In the first Donkey Kong Country game, he honestly acted more or less like a Bowser wannabe. A big scary version of the Kremlings you fought along the way who stole the banana hoard for his own purposes, you can easily compare that to Bowser and his habit of kidnapping Peach. The only thing that was clever about him was that infamous "Kredits" bit where he tried to trick you during his fight.

However Donkey Kong Country 2 was when King K. Rool started to develop into more of his own character, such as being savvy enough to kidnap his arch-enemy and use him as ransom, started his interest in having different personas, and showing off his more demented side such as torturing DK right in front of Diddy's and Dixie's faces. Donkey Kong Country 3 and Donkey Kong 64 would follow a similar progression, showing that despite how clumsy he appears to be, is still rather ruthless and dangerously savvy.
Except K. Rool is'nt a big turtle monster who breathes fire and uses magic to change size. Also Bowser originally kidnapped Peach as a way to try and take over the mushroom kingdom whereas K. Rool stole DK's banana hoard to starve him and the Kongs.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Exactly. People overestimate the influence lack of recent appearances have on importance and popularity. It’s not just in a Smash context but also in general. I’ve had to argue this so many time on this forum before I just gave up due to people not listening.

There’s countless examples of characters, stories, games, etc. that have not received an update in decades, centuries, or millennia yet are still relevant because they continue to have an impact on the people who know them, possibly even cultural impact. Not that K. Rool made a cultural impact on society but it shows how important of a character he is if we keep coming back to fight for him even after several painful defeats.
Honestly speaking, if there is one franchise where recency is heavily relevant to, well, relevance, it would be Pokemon by virtue of the fact that each new generation being given the spotlight=new Pokemon to milk their popularity. And given how big of a multimedia franchise Pokemon is, new Pokemon popularity=even more money off merchandise, which is always important to the Pokemon Company.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
So basically do what they do with King Boo? In the Luigi's Mansion games he has that really cool evil looking character design but then in Mario Kart and Mario Party he's just a big boo with a yellow crown on his head.
That's pretty much what I had in mind. I think it works out in the end. Honestly, as long as we get K. Rool back in some games that's all that matters to me in the end.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So not directly K. Rool related but I was on Ebay the other night and I spotted this auction...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/162978416897

I have never seen these toys before... and I've been searching online about them ever since and can't find anything... does anyone know about these? I asked on the Donkey Kong Reddit but received pretty much zero replies. I want to know more about these toys, they have a Diddy on Enguard! The toys are based on the game not the TV show! I need to know more

Morbi

Scavenger

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's kind of funny since Mario Super Sluggers implies that Bowser and K. Rool despise each other. Maybe it's because Bowser has better standards than K. Rool? Maybe it's monarchy rivalry?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's kind of funny since Mario Super Sluggers implies that Bowser and K. Rool despise each other. Maybe it's because Bowser has better standards than K. Rool? Maybe it's monarchy rivalry?
I just always assumed it was the battle of the oversized egos.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Part of me wonders if Rare had stayed would we have gotten a lot of King K. Rool and Kremling merchandise? Man, I'd kill for some of that. I'd even get a K. Rool plush... Maybe lol.

Luigi player

Smash Master
So not directly K. Rool related but I was on Ebay the other night and I spotted this auction...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/162978416897

I have never seen these toys before... and I've been searching online about them ever since and can't find anything... does anyone know about these? I asked on the Donkey Kong Reddit but received pretty much zero replies. I want to know more about these toys, they have a Diddy on Enguard! The toys are based on the game not the TV show! I need to know more
I have both Dks and Diddy (not the one on Enguarde tho) from a loong time ago. Never got them with their package though. My mum had found them at a store of someone/a friend and asked if she could buy them or something. I think they had Diddy on Enguarde as well but they didn't wanna sell that one. :(
Had fun times playing with them as a kid lol. I think I stopped because they started losing colors when colliding them with others to punch/etc.

Part of me wonders if Rare had stayed would we have gotten a lot of King K. Rool and Kremling merchandise? Man, I'd kill for some of that. I'd even get a K. Rool plush... Maybe lol.
Ah that's another reason I really want K. Rool and Dixie - to get nice Amiibo figures of them!

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing rivalry. They're both rulers of their own dominion with powerful armies to boot. Who's not to say K. Rool wouldn't want to take over the Mushroom Kingdom after taking DK's land and vice versa?

Ah that's another reason I really want K. Rool and Dixie - to get nice Amiibo figures of them!
Oh my god! Why has that never crossed my mind before?! I would so buy a King K. Rool amiibo! I'd get one for another friend of mine who's a big DKC fan! I need this!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yes we would have they had a line of K.Rool and Kremling plushies as well as some Kongs being made by a Toy Company (I forgot the name) during DK64 but they went out of business before they got a chance to release them to the public. They were all gonna be based on their DK64 designs. I remember someone had a prototype plush of K.Rool they were selling on Ebay.

This is one made by a japanese toy company and it was made for the original DKC. So yes Rare/Nintendo definitely had plans for Kremling merch but then the buyout happened and the rest is history....

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Yes we would have they had a line of K.Rool and Kremling plushies as well as some Kongs being made by a Toy Company (I forgot the name) during DK64 but they went out of business before they got a chance to release them to the public. They were all gonna be based on their DK64 designs. I remember someone had a prototype plush of K.Rool they were selling on Ebay.

This is one made by a japanese toy company and it was made for the original DKC. So yes Rare/Nintendo definitely had plans for Kremling merch but then the buyout happened and the rest is history....

Aww now I'm sad that we never got them. I would have definitely bought some if they had released. I also love how that K. Rool plush looks!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I happened to look back at some of the custscenes for the Subspace Emissary and remembered how I first reacted to seeing DK and Diddy in the story. Back then I had a dumb/sad mentality that DK's banana's being stolen was linked straight to K.Rool (despite how it's Bowser's minions stealing it). I was so desperate to believe that he'd be in the game as one of the main villains. Man, I would have killed to see K. Rool work alongside Bowser. Even if it was just for Smash. Here's hoping our King makes a comeback someday.

As an aspiring writer and video game developer of my own some day, I've thought many times about Nintendo games/pre-existing series games I myself would make that will probably never happen.

I had an idea once of a brand new 3D Mario with the premise that Bowser and K. Rool teamed up to help each other achieve their own goals, and mixing their armies and technologies to make an unstoppable army.

Meanwhile, Mario has to team up with his long time rival and unlikely ally, Donkey Kong, to save Peach... and like a thousand bananas... (And maybe Diddy too if K. Rool is feeling particularly merciless that day). Cue humorous cutscenes of Mario and DK butting heads and arguing in pseudo Italian gibberish and "ooh ooh ooh" as DK is as stubborn and brash as ever, contrasting Mario's less aggressive, more item and object based adventures, but DK acts as the partner of this game, a la Luma and Cappy, chucking Mario around, using him as a blunt weapon to hit things with, cargo throwing Mario like a barrel into a rolling attack, etc. Maybe there's a partner switch out system like in the DKC games, where you can play as DK or Mario, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Mario jumps, DK smashes walls, Fire Flower VS. Coconut Gun, etc.

Meanwhile, Bowser and K. Rool are butting heads just as often, with K. Rools cruel machinations and long term planning colliding with Bowsers head on approach, but they still work together in multiple boss fights, probably the standard formula of a Bowser fight repeated thrice throughout the game with increasing difficulty and probably a new phase during the final boss, but this time it's some combination of Bowser and K. Rool. Something crazy like them sharing Bowser's clown car, but it has a Krown now and has "Klown Kar" painted on the front in big letters, meanwhile Bowser is firing fireballs and Koopa shells and Bullet Bills from K. Rools blunderbuss as K. Rool throws Mecha Koopas or something.

Most if not all bosses could combine Bowser and K. Rool's armies as well. Imagine a fight where Kamek enchants a Krusha to make him really big and roided out. Or have a large Monty Mole throwing large wrenches, but you get a free hit to get his attention, from then which Kleever knocks the wrench out of the Mole's hand and lets the mole throw the haunted sword, from which the real boss battle begins, just crazy stuff like that.

I hope I don't make anyone sad by tantalizing them with a game that's probably not happening. Hey, maybe if all the stars and planets align on a blue moon during the eclipse, this idea will be like that story of that guy who posted on a forum saying his dream is to work at Nintendo, and then years later that guy's name appeared in the Breath of the Wild credits. Writers are always told to hold onto their ideas, just in case.

Now excuse me as I copy this into a word document now, and probably add to it as I'm getting my excited itch to write again.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I have both Dks and Diddy (not the one on Enguarde tho) from a loong time ago. Never got them with their package though. My mum had found them at a store of someone/a friend and asked if she could buy them or something. I think they had Diddy on Enguarde as well but they didn't wanna sell that one. :(
Had fun times playing with them as a kid lol. I think I stopped because they started losing colors when colliding them with others to punch/etc.

Oh my goodness!! I can't believe ive never seen these before.... now I want the whole set...

Luigi player

Smash Master
Oh my goodness!! I can't believe ive never seen these before.... now I want the whole set...
Hehe, they're pretty nice and with the old design so that's a plus. Although the Diddy looks a little weird (I don't like the brown color).

But nowadays there's the Super Mario Figures to collect which are pretty nice as well.
(https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51QpAQ7nxZL.jpg)
There's even Dixie. I think I might get this one if we don't get her in Smash for an amiibo.
It would've been a dream for me if I had these various Mario and DK figures as a kid.

Who is really nowhere is K. Rool though. :( Would be amazing to get him in Smash and an amiibo for him!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I had an idea once of a brand new 3D Mario with the premise that Bowser and K. Rool teamed up to help each other achieve their own goals, and mixing their armies and technologies to make an unstoppable army.
Either you've posted about this before or I've discussed this or had a very similar idea as well. Might have been due to Brawl and SEE.

Always saw K. Rool as being the only other Nintendo villian that could match bowser on many different levels. Even if many people wouldn't agree. Thought the dynamic between the two would be pretty funny.

Obviously wouldn't happen for ages as K. Rool has to be established again but I think it would be great. Maybe it's not that so far fetched any more with the dk dlc for kingdom battle.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Either you've posted about this before or I've discussed this or had a very similar idea as well. Might have been due to Brawl and SEE.

Always saw K. Rool as being the only other Nintendo villian that could match bowser on many different levels. Even if many people wouldn't agree. Thought the dynamic between the two would be pretty funny.

Obviously wouldn't happen for ages as K. Rool has to be established again but I think it would be great. Maybe it's not that so far fetched any more with the dk dlc for kingdom battle.
It may well be that I've posted that idea before. I already mentioned when I joined that I was actually a veteran user who hung around frequently during the K. Rool Smash 4 speculation. I forgot my password, and even my old user name. I'm pretty sure I could find my old posts with enough searching on the old K. Rool boards if I was interested in doing so, but I don't really see the point other than that it would be kind of neat to remember what I called myself back then.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
If anyone ever finds some unpainted DK mini-figs you should reply to this and likewise. Need some new craft projects.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Yes, everyone should get on that. if you don't have twitter sign up for it. This is our best chance to speak directly to Nintendo that we have had since the ballot. I feel like if they ignore it with that magnitude of questions then there are definitely plans for the King.

StormC

Smash Hero
I sent them a tweet. Here’s to hoping we get something out of it. Though I will ask, won’t we want a respond out of them?
To me the important thing is to keep reminding them about K. Rool and the Kremlings. Keep the gears turning in their head, assuming they haven't already decided to bring them back.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hmm. Good idea. But maybe important to ask an actual question they could answer when asking about K. Rool. Like what's the best K. Rool boss battle, could King K. Rool and Lord Frederick team up one day, was King K. Rool at Wrinkly's funeral given that Wrinkly was likely his favorite and only teacher? Silly questions they could talk about on a podcast. That way K. Rool talk goes from twitter to the podcast.

Also good idea to note how good DKCTF is.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Hmm. Good idea. But maybe important to ask an actual question they could answer when asking about K. Rool. Like what's the best K. Rool boss battle, could King K. Rool and Lord Frederick team up one day, was King K. Rool at Wrinkly's funeral given that Wrinkly was likely his favorite and only teacher? Silly questions they could talk about on a podcast. That way K. Rool talk goes from twitter to the podcast.

Also good idea to note how good DKCTF is.
Damn, that's a somber image in my head. The Kong's all gathered around a memorial for Wrinkley, and K. Rool shows up with a black chest guard and a tie, and it's like the one time they're cool with him being there because they're all there for the same reason.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Never made a Twitter but I did this time... I need to see if Nintendo will address the Kremlings.. actually getting a real answer to this is enough to push me

When will this podcast air?

Last edited:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
The amount of love and support K. Rool and the Kremlings are getting on Twitter really warms my heart.

As I speak Japanese (beginner's level), I noticed K. Rool is actually seriously popular in Japan. Probably the most requested first-party there along with other names that pop-up like Wolf, Snake, Bandana Dee, etc. With this, the brand new trademark for his name back in 2015 for DK: Jungle Climber, the brand new from scratch Mii costume based off his classic design and his severe popularity, I feel like this is the best chance he's ever had for Smash.

Literally: I've NEVER seen such a huge amount of popularity and support for one singular character, especially for his popularity to keep growing and growing with every Smash iteration. His popularity (imo) is at its peak! To make things better, it's a character that hasn't appeared in 10 years. The fans never forgot him. Ideal situation would be:

New Retro project is the third in the DKCR line, K. Rool/Kremlings back, *Switch logo*, *Smash hijinks* and...

KING K. ROOL SETS SAIL (or whatever you want the tagline to be)

I think...next month...or at E3...

Our journey...

Will finally end.

ALL SIGNS POINT TO THE HYPE TRAIN BEGINNING WITH KONDUCTOR K. ROOL LEADING THE PACK.

I GOT THAT FEELING, BOYS.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The amount of love and support K. Rool and the Kremlings are getting on Twitter really warms my heart.

As I speak Japanese (beginner's level), I noticed K. Rool is actually seriously popular in Japan. Probably the most requested first-party there along with other names that pop-up like Wolf, Snake, Bandana Dee, etc. With this, the brand new trademark for his name back in 2015 for DK: Jungle Climber, the brand new from scratch Mii costume based off his classic design and his severe popularity, I feel like this is the best chance he's ever had for Smash.

Literally: I've NEVER seen such a huge amount of popularity and support for one singular character, especially for his popularity to keep growing and growing with every Smash iteration. His popularity (imo) is at its peak! To make things better, it's a character that hasn't appeared in 10 years. The fans never forgot him. Ideal situation would be:

New Retro project is the third in the DKCR line, K. Rool/Kremlings back, *Switch logo*, *Smash hijinks* and...

KING K. ROOL SETS SAIL (or whatever you want the tagline to be)

I think...next month...or at E3...

Our journey...

Will finally end.

ALL SIGNS POINT TO THE HYPE TRAIN BEGINNING WITH KONDUCTOR K. ROOL LEADING THE PACK.

I GOT THAT FEELING, BOYS.
As much as people hated that mii costume, it is honestly a saving grace this time around. It just put his name on everyone's minds.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I actually like the Mii costume for not mimicking K. Rool's modern design, having that darker shade of green and the golden belly, similar to how he is in the Rare developed games. The fact that the attention to detail is even there shows that the developers do care about the character enough to create something from scratch instead of just recycling that Mario Sluggers model again.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
As much as people hated that mii costume, it is honestly a saving grace this time around. It just put his name on everyone's minds.
What many thought was a slap in the face (myself included), may have just been the biggest case of foreshadowing...

I truly hope I'm right on this...

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
What many thought was a slap in the face (myself included), may have just been the biggest case of foreshadowing...

I truly hope I'm right on this...
I honestly believe that many of the Mii costumes are foreshadowing characters.

If this Smash was in production around the time the DLC was being done (which i think it was) many of the Mii costumes that didn't have assets taken from Smash already Inklings, K. Rool, Geno, maybe even Lloyd I feel had assets taken from models that were being made for Smash Switch. Notice the girl and boy inkling's both got Mii costumes and both of them are in the teaser. Why not use the K. Rool model that was available if he was just going to be a Mii costume. Ever since the Inkling reveal this has been my feeling.

Top Bottom