• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

D

Deleted member

I know and I completely agree I hope he has a unique Moveset because he deserves it, hopefully not a clone if he is I'll take it. But yes your right he should be a unique character.

StormC

Smash Hero
Eh if King K. Rool is a clone I'd take it honestly long as he's in that's all that matters, maybe he could add the blunderbuss, and helicopter pack. In future games, or could have them in taunts, and victory animations, I'd just be glad he's in. That's enough for me for now.

Don't believe any leaks unless we here it from, Sakurai himself, or the Super Smash Blog. Confirms it. The news will be seen as the only I get info for this game. Glad K. Rool is in them, this is one positive at least.
K. Rool being stuck in a Ganondorf situation would be awful.

Besides, he can't even really be a clone, his body type is too different compared to other fighters.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Update on that video I posted about the guy who thinks K. Rool is owned by Rare.

He made YET ANOTHER VIDEO (Despite that last one being labeled as "Final Response") acknowledging he was wrong, telling his audience it was a mistake to leave comments on (likely due to me calling him out for his lack of research), and yet he has still learned nothing. He still thinks that Rare being owned by Microsoft is the reason K. Rool isn't used in games anymore (despite the fact that argument holds no water as Dixie and Cranky are in games still...) and he removed the previous video.

I don't know whether I should laugh and just leave him be or comment on the video with a load of snark and continue to call him out for his bs.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, of course you can enjoy a new game. But we're talking about bonds to possibly completely new characters.

As a maybe weird example:
Of course you could like new friends and maybe have more in common with them than with old ones, but all the history (experiences and times together) from the past ones should probably be worth more, until you've had enough time with these new friends (aka more games of a character and some years of playing them).

I can definitely understand this and it's the same for myself. I like many of the new Pokemon instantly if the design looks good or cool to me. It's also Pokemon, which is a franchise I like that gets more and more new characters. Completely new franchises I'd see as something different, though. Pokemon also (usually) keeps all new Pokemon and treats them all as about equal. It also became the norm to include some new Pokemon every time, which makes sense. As a comparison: just because Pauline joined in Mario Odyssey after not being used too much you probably shouldn't expect her to appear in Smash or other Mario spinoffs immediately. A new Pokemon is a much bigger deal than a "side"-character. Same with Elma or Rex/Pyra from Xenoblade.

Since the Xenoblade series has already etablished itself it's expected for it to get another character to join Smash. Since they're important/main characters it's also okay for them.

But will your bond really be the same as for a franchise that had more games and reoccuring main characters that you've known for years? Idk. I mean if you like the other game more then sure I can easily see it.
I think my major issue stems from the fact that video games are at a point where most of them are accessible enough (barring non-Wii ported GameCube titles on Nintendo's side) are accessible to the point where people can play them when they wish to. What I mean is, I only played my first Castlevania game this year, via the 3DS eshop. Yet I still think Simon Belmont would be amazing in Smash. Yeah he's been around since 1986, but my first experience with him was 32 years later.

Going off of that, my only experience with K. Rool (beyond Smash trophies) was Mario Super Sluggers, infamously his last appearance. But damn did he make an impression. After beating the other Kremlings in baseball the secret door behind the waterfall would open up and you'd need to beat K. Rool in an epic baseball showdown. And my god could he hit homeruns like it was no one's business. It's also why I'm partial to the Paon design, but I digress.

Basically the crux of what I'm getting at is that just because a character has existed for a certain amount of years, it doesn't mean all of that character's supporters have wanted them since their inception. Due to how accessible most older games are, people can easily become fans of folks like Simon Belmont or K. Rool long after they become fans of, say, Shovel Knight or Spring Man. That's why I don't think how long they've existed meaningfully correlates to "how worthy" they are.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Speaking of the title

I was watching the ending to DKC2 the other day

And they spell it differently

View attachment 151791

I'm pretty sure that's actually the incorrect spelling of the word. But IDK
Technically the thread title diverges from DKC2's in-game classification for the Kremlings with the missing 't.' But given that it's misspelled in DKC2 (what's a 'hroat?' You can't 'kut' one of those), I think it's a fair change.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Technically the thread title diverges from DKC2's in-game classification for the Kremlings with the missing 't.' But given that it's misspelled in DKC2 (what's a 'hroat?' You can't 'kut' one of those), I think it's a fair change.
Clearly it is referencing the throat of Kū, the Hawaiian god of war.

Personally I'm glad K. Rool finally got an Alolan form.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Going off of that, my only experience with K. Rool (beyond Smash trophies) was Mario Super Sluggers, infamously his last appearance. But damn did he make an impression. After beating the other Kremlings in baseball the secret door behind the waterfall would open up and you'd need to beat K. Rool in an epic baseball showdown. And my god could he hit homeruns like it was no one's business. It's also why I'm partial to the Paon design, but I digress.
...kind of unrelated to your post, but I’m glad I’m not the only person who was first introduced to K. Rool through Super Sluggers. I recognized him vaguely (I used to watch my brother play DK64 when I was little) but that game was the first time I got to see him in action, and it’s what made me become invested in his return. He was a staple of my team, every game. :laugh:

Also that’s why I want his forward smash to be a swing of his scepter/baseball bat

Last edited:

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
...kind of unrelated to your post, but I’m glad I’m not the only person who was first introduced to K. Rool through Super Sluggers. I recognized him vaguely (I used to watch my brother play DK64 when I was little) but that game was the first time I got to see him in action, and it’s what made me become invested in his return. He was a staple of my team, every game. :laugh:

Also that’s why I want his forward smash to be a swing of his scepter/baseball bat
Why shy away from the move recommendation? It's a totally fair one! The Paon/Sluggers look isn't everyone's favorite (myself included), but the Mayan king getup is still one of K. Rool's kostumes, and using the scepter/bat for his forward smash would be more faithful to his source material than using his bare hands, which I'm not sure he ever did.

Has it been discussed what K. Rool's title would be on the Boxing Ring stage?

Personally I'd love "The Kremling King", so they could keep up the tradition of alliteration in DK games.
Agree 100% that they need to keep up the alliteration, but I personally feel like "King Krusha K. Rool" (or "King Krushaaaa K. Rool") is just too perfect to pass up.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I actually wouldn't mind K. Rool pulling out a scepter to swing around for a move or two. It fits his status as a king and wouldn't be too out of place, especially if he's going to be pulling moves from a bunch of different personas anyway. Could also see him using a sword for a few moves, maybe borrowing the one used by Kutlass (or maybe even using Kleaver as a personal weapon). K Rool seems like the kind of guy who would pull out a blade to shank someone if they didn't see it coming.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I went into Smash Wii U and took some pictures of the stretched crotch-and-leg area of the K. Rool costume, to demonstrate the drop in quality I was telling @True Blue Warrior about. I think this bodes well for the theory that the costume was pulled from a full 3D model hidden away somewhere, rather than being designed exclusively for the Miis' bodies.

Is it bad that these particularly focused shots of the costume got a chuckle out of me? :chuckle:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
we got a leak stating another nintendo direct this month!

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423192780
"Strangely nothing about the 2019 game, just some more info about Let’s go"

How is that strange? Pokemon 2019 won't be shown until sometime next year

That post right there either proves it's fake, or proves the author is kind of an idiot.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Let’s not use this one - it says that K. Rool is an assist...
oh ****! i did not see that. yea I hope this is not true then! I cannot accept a highly requested character like k rool as just some assist trophy. I don't want to wait an entire match opening assist trophies just to see him for a few seconds. no!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I think having a move from sluggers would be pretty funny especially as its his last appearance so the people quoting that as a reason for him not to be in would be silenced. The only reason to not suggest it or use it is because he actually has too many potentials for moves already, there's such a diverse range of possibilities he could actually do its pretty silly that an argument against him is that he would be a Bowser clone or has nothing to work with.

Also I know they wouldn't but the idea of him having all his personas rather than pallet swaps gives him an other unique thing as well (I know Bowser Jr. but I think this is different enough) even if its just an aesthetic one. I wouldn't mind the pilot outfit making a comeback as well.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Okay well put on your big boy brains for a second:

There's obviously going to be a direct soon because investors have been clamoring for other, non-Smash related information ever since E3. Easy predict.

Almost every big name leak has included Simon Belmont. Another easy piggyback.

There has been a new Yoshi game for what seems like aeons. Of course new info seems due.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
we got a leak stating another nintendo direct this month!

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423192780
I am steeling myself for the possibility Rool is an AT...after the ballot, that'll be his role if he's not playable IMO. But legitimate leakers don't tend to give intricate details about new releases and then generically say "a major AAA game is getting a port."

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why I genuinely believe this one the most when its potentially the worst leak for us. Would be such a waste of K. Rool as an assist trophy

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If you post leaks to 4chan can you just copy and paste the info in your post? Tired of going to 4chan and constantly see racial slurs in the comments. Everyone on 4chan is either the F word or the N word according to people in the comments section. I use to think nothing could get worse than youtube or Kotaku comments but 4chan definitely takes the cake.

Anyway as for K.Rool in smash ultimate I REALLY need to see what his amiibo and artwork will look like. While the amiibo fad is dead I have a feeling Smash Ultimate will reignite the spark a little bit because Smash was the whole reason amiibo took off in the first place. Which makes me question how many K.Rool amiibo will Nintendo make and how fast they will sell out? Also I could totally see Nintendo doing something asinine like "K.Rool is a Play-Asia.com exclusive!"

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It would hurt a lot to see him show up as an AT, of course an early deconfirmation is preferable to holding out hope until being crushed right at the end, but I don't think that role would fit him at all, rather he'd just have no role like in previous games then. I know Sakurai would mean it as an acknowledgement of his popularity, in a scenario where Sakurai still doesn't see him fit to be playable he would probably consider AT status to be the second best thing, but sometimes it's best just to not have something like that in the game at all, whenever he'd appear it'd just feel like salt being rubbed in the wound, just like the Ridley stage boss.

Last edited:

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
I don't know why I genuinely believe this one the most when its potentially the worst leak for us. Would be such a waste of K. Rool as an assist trophy
I would guess you believe this one the most because it's the worst leak for us; we've been let down so many times already that bad news immediately seems more likely than good news. I had the same initial reaction as you, but I really don't think we should believe this "leak" any more than we should believe the rest of them.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I serioulsy doubt Mario Odyssey is getting DLC.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
It would hurt a lot to see him show up as an AT, of course an early deconfirmation is preferable to holding out hope until being crushed right at the end, but I don't think that role would fit him at all, rather he'd just have no role like in previous games then. I know Sakurai would mean it as an acknowledgement of his popularity, in a scenario where Sakurai still doesn't see him fit to be playable he would probably consider AT status to be the second best thing, but sometimes it's best just to not have something like that in the game at all, whenever he'd appear it'd just feel like salt being rubbed in the wound, just like the Ridley stage boss.
I couldn't play the game knowing that fact that he has a model but not playable. I would feel like sakurai laughing in the background while I watch

D

Deleted member

More leaks eh?

Alright Love too see some Super Mario Odyssey DLC, my Favorite game, and one of the, reasons Nintendo Switch is my Favorite console. Besides it's portable/at home all in one console nature, of course. Will it happen? Hard to say I'd doubt it though.

The new Pokemon isn't being discussed till next year. Of course Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee will be the main focus. For Pokemon.

The Yoshi title sounds reasonable I guess.

Finally Super Smash Bros. Ultimate new modes, details ECT sounds good, wouldn't mind Simon Belmont. King K. Rool as an assist trophy... As this point it wouldn't surprise me I'd be happy too see him when he's pop out. Would still enjoy the game, but really hope this AT is fake, but I'm prepared at this point.

I say fake we'll get news eventually.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I mean I would be extremely upset if K. Rool was only an assist trophy as well, but at the same time I'd rather have that than nothing at all. It means that the character is acknowledged in some form or another and, frankly, that could be the launching point of his character to newer and better things.

I mean, for me at least, and I feel like a decent amount of other people too, K. Rool getting into Smash is more of a short term goal. The big picture is him getting back into the Nintendo spotlight, and even if he only gets Assist Trophy'd this time around if that improves his chances for the future of DK then I'd settle for that.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Really hoping K.Rool gets in this time around.

Not only because Donkey Kong Country was the first game I ever played and I love K.Rool as a character, but just so I can see the reaction and celeberation of such a long requested character finally making it in.

If the Ridley reaction was anything to go by, it'll be a treat to see.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just so you know, the ID of that OP of that leak is 423192780. The one who said K. Rool was an assist is 423193340. So they are not the same guy. Plus, even if they were, don't you find it strange that two different computers were used to make each post? I'd say if the leaker was credible, they would stick to one computer than use another. I just figured that unless it was their PC and their phone, and the user switched to phone, the user would not have a reason to change computers.
That's post number, isn't it?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean, I could have been wrong, but why is it that the post numbers don't seem to be in order? Not saying I doubt you, but there has to be a way to differentiate anonymous users, right?
Because people post in other boards

/v/ is not the only board on 4chan

Post number, forum wide

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because people post in other boards

/v/ is not the only board on 4chan

Post number, forum wide
Yeah, I just noticed that. Do forgive me for the inaccuracy. I mean, I am still learning 4Chan. Heck, I am still learning to get around that site. Let it be known though that I did not originate this idea.

I doubt the person claiming Rool is an AT is even the OP.
This was said before me. Anyways, do forgive me for this mishap.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Let’s not use this one - it says that K. Rool is an assist...
I doubt the person claiming Rool is an AT is even the OP.
I checked. He/she isn’t. Like at all.
Apologies for the multiple quotes, but I was wondering how on earth you are supposed to tell which "anonymous" is which here.

Like, any one of you could log into that post, say that King K. Rool is getting an alt with a cane and dentures, and I'd have no idea whether or not you were the OP.

Is there actually a way to tell, or is this just a 4chan thing?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Apologies for the multiple quotes, but I was wondering how on earth you are supposed to tell which "anonymous" is which here.

Like, any one of you could log into that post, say that King K. Rool is getting an alt with a cane and dentures, and I'd have no idea whether or not you were the OP.

Well, I made a mistake. I thought it was at the top rightish of the user's post, but that turned out to be the user's post number. I am still new to 4Chan and learning my way around it. My bad.

Even then, I doubt this is real because they said there would be a reveal for another character, Simon Belmont. And unless K. Rool is revealed in that same trailer, I doubt he will show up. Thing is, Assists don't normally show up in character reveal trailers unless they are from the same franchise as the revealed character, based on my experience. If this was a Smash related Direct, that would make more sense. However, even if I am wrong with what I just said, this is most likely fake, anyway, like many other 4Chan leaks.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

They wouldn't be Anonymous if you could tell them apart

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I would guess you believe this one the most because it's the worst leak for us; we've been let down so many times already that bad news immediately seems more likely than good news. I had the same initial reaction as you, but I really don't think we should believe this "leak" any more than we should believe the rest of them.
Guess its just the K. Rool pessimism and luck creeping back in, got to have a good dose of it after everyone has jumped on the K. Rool bandwagon now.

I mean, for me at least, and I feel like a decent amount of other people too, K. Rool getting into Smash is more of a short term goal. The big picture is him getting back into the Nintendo spotlight, and even if he only gets Assist Trophy'd this time around if that improves his chances for the future of DK then I'd settle for that.
Yeah that true I guess any exposure and appearance is better than nothing. Shouldn't lose sight of what we really want. A fully playable K. Rool would be such a good thing to miss out on though. Also him being playable would be so satisfying after all the inane reason believed he couldn't be so theres always that as well haha.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Leaks bogus anyway... no way Nintendo does a direct the month after E3... we won't get another direct till at least September. We may get Smash announcements through the site or special trailers but we're not getting a July direct.. though I agree with BKupa666 BKupa666 I'm absolutely bracing myself for the real possibility K. Rool gets hit with AT status... I don't want it but it's certainly possible.

Top Bottom