• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
Speaking of the tail, looking at the costume, it might give us a good idea how it would work in Smash:

The tail is pointed all the way down, making it visible at all times. This might be the solution to how to show the tail within the cape.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So, here is something to answer for fun: If K. Rool is not added in the game at all, or if he is an assist trophy, what do you guys think is the worst reason Sakurai would say to have for not including him/making him an assist? Worst reason, like his reasoning to not include Adventure mode in Smash 4.
He's too ugly and is owned by Rare. He's also irrelevant as he hasn't appeared in a game in 10 years. He also can;t do anything but jump and bring down cannonballs..basically if Sakurai uses the same old internet troll logic.

OR if Sakurai says "WHO? I never played past the first level in the original DKC" It would explain quite a lot actually...

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I said this way back in the old kutthroats thread but i had this funny scenario for a K. Rool reveal trailer that references the original trailer for the incredibles

(cue smash bros reveal trailer transition)

It fades from black showing inside a throne room office. Several K. Rool and kremling propaganda and posters and newspapers, with the last paper showing K. Rool's supposed disappearance.

Camera pans quickly to the klap trap phone as it rings, a green hand picks it up "King K. Rool, you're invited". He grabs his cape and puts it on, then his bracelets, and then his crown. "Showtime!" he says, he then tried to put on his golden belly armor, but it doesn't fit him anymore.

Klump through the PA system: "Your Majesty, your dinner is ready."

K. Rool: "I CAN'T COME TO DINNER KLUMP, I GOT INVITE- I-- I GOTTA GO!.... (keeps trying to put it on) maybe just a Banana! OH AND SOME ORANGES!"

After several attempts to put it on, he sucks up air and is able to put it on, but as soon as he breathes out it pops out and breaks a bunch of stuff in his throne room.

Finally he comes out to the battlefield and fights the other characters with his blunderbuss. (whether he got the golden armor on him or not, that's up to you to decide)

"KING K. ROOL, KRUSHES THE KOMPETITION!!"

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
King- King K. Rool
Ponytail - Dixie
Old man- Haihachi
Archer - Decidueye
Warrior - Simon Belmont
Secretary - ?????
Mech - Elma
Rythm - chorus kid's or Karate Joe
Folklore - Ashley
Doll - Geno
Prime Rib- Dark Samus

I say bull... thered be way to many unique newcomers in that list.. the only Echo would be Dark Samus... I'm in the camp that 6 unique fighters are left and the rest would be echoes. I can't see characters on that list aside from a few being semi cloned for echo.
Honestly, this is the most believable leaked roster to me yet, even if it's most likely fake. My only problem with it is the lack of Bandana Dee, but it otherwise has everyone on my most wanted list.

Also, I think "Folklore" might actually mean Jibanyan or some other Yo-kai Watch rep, since Yo-kai are based on Japanese folklore.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Honestly, this is the most believable leaked roster to me yet, even if it's most likely fake. My only problem with it is the lack of Bandana Dee, but it otherwise has everyone on my most wanted list.

Also, I think "Folklore" might actually mean Jibanyan or some other Yo-kai Watch rep, since Yo-kai are based on Japanese folklore.
I can see that but Ashley is a Witch and she's been popping up in a lot of leaks lately so I assumed she was the reference

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I can see that but Ashley is a Witch and she's been popping up in a lot of leaks lately so I assumed she was the reference
Understandable. It's just that when I hear "folklore" mentioned for a Japanese game, my mind goes to yokai rather than witches. Other than that, your guesses as to which words mean who are most likely right, assuming this leak is the least bit true (which I doubt, but at the same time hope).

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
King- King K. Rool
Ponytail - Dixie
Old man- Haihachi
Archer - Decidueye
Warrior - Simon Belmont
Secretary - ?????
Mech - Elma
Rythm - chorus kid's or Karate Joe
Folklore - Ashley
Doll - Geno
Prime Rib- Dark Samus

I say bull... thered be way to many unique newcomers in that list.. the only Echo would be Dark Samus... I'm in the camp that 6 unique fighters are left and the rest would be echoes. I can't see characters on that list aside from a few being semi cloned for echo.
Not a terrible roster if this "leak" is true. Granted I've already got Wolf back, Ridley, Inklings, and IF Dixie and K.Rool are added everyone that I REALLY want would be in Smash. HOWEVER from that list the only other ones that interest me are Rhythm Heaven Rep cause I like the series (However was never clamoring for any of them to be playable in Smash). My picks besides Dixie and Rool were Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Krystal (sadly deconfirmed as an assist trophy but happy to see her in the game at all and in fact she wasn't that high on my list..), Medusa (could probably work as a echo of Palutena but then again Kid Icarus would have 4 reps and the series isn't that important...), Issac, Chibi-Robo, and an ARMS rep as I do like ARMS but realize it came out way too late in Ultimate's development for a character to be in there. Maybe as DLC? I'd prefer someone like Dr. Coyle or Master Mummy but I hope they just pull a Bowser Jr./Koopalings and have like all the ARMS characters as alts for Spring-Man as while yes each character has a unique trait and movement speed but at the end of the day they basically all play alike..

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
That seems like a lot of characters for how few we should be expecting. There were 15 newcomers in Smash 4 when it launched (not counting Dark Pit and Lucina), 14 in Melee, and 18 in Brawl, and I'd say we could expect at most half that (7 to 9) for this game, and we've already seen two. Add Ridley and Inkling to that list, and you have 13 total newcomers, which is one or two shy of Melee or 4, which is absurd.

I'd say that 10 new fighters, with an even or close to even split between completely new characters and echo fighters, is the most we should expect at launch. More characters as DLC after launch are inevitable, but those aren't characters we'll see in leaks yet.

Also, reveal trailers after the game comes out doesn't make any sense. That kind of happened for 3DS/Wii U, because the 3DS version launched in NA almost a month after it did in Japan, and in the interim we got a trailer or two for new characters that we already knew were in the game because it had already come out in Japan. If I'm not mistaken, the game releases the same day worldwide, so there's no reason to have reveal trailers after the game hits store shelves.

StormC

Smash Hero
Any roster with K. Rool is a roster where I can’t complain. I can’t think of a character whose addition or exclusion would upset me enough to offset the King’s return.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
That seems like a lot of characters for how few we should be expecting. There were 15 newcomers in Smash 4 when it launched (not counting Dark Pit and Lucina), 14 in Melee, and 18 in Brawl, and I'd say we could expect at most half that (7 to 9) for this game, and we've already seen two. Add Ridley and Inkling to that list, and you have 13 total newcomers, which is one or two shy of Melee or 4, which is absurd.

I'd say that 10 new fighters, with an even or close to even split between completely new characters and echo fighters, is the most we should expect at launch. More characters as DLC after launch are inevitable, but those aren't characters we'll see in leaks yet.

Also, reveal trailers after the game comes out doesn't make any sense. That kind of happened for 3DS/Wii U, because the 3DS version launched in NA almost a month after it did in Japan, and in the interim we got a trailer or two for new characters that we already knew were in the game because it had already come out in Japan. If I'm not mistaken, the game releases the same day worldwide, so there's no reason to have reveal trailers after the game hits store shelves.
That first part is definitely the most unbelievable part about this leak, aside from it being from a total rando on 4chan and not including Bandana Dee. Then again, Dixie, Isabelle, and Dark Samus could possibly be Echo Fighters of Diddy, Villager, and Samus, respectively, which would knock the number of entirely unique newcomers down to a more believable 10.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Any roster with K. Rool is a roster where I can’t complain. I can’t think of a character whose addition or exclusion would upset me enough to offset the King’s return.
That's easy for me if they add Goku I will lose it, we got K.Rool but at WHAT COST!?

*Puts on Thanos voice and face* "Everything..."

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I said this way back in the old kutthroats thread but i had this funny scenario for a K. Rool reveal trailer that references the original trailer for the incredibles

(cue smash bros reveal trailer transition)

It fades from black showing inside a throne room office. Several K. Rool and kremling propaganda and posters and newspapers, with the last paper showing K. Rool's supposed disappearance.

Camera pans quickly to the klap trap phone as it rings, a green hand picks it up "King K. Rool, you're invited". He grabs his cape and puts it on, then his bracelets, and then his crown. "Showtime!" he says, he then tried to put on his golden belly armor, but it doesn't fit him anymore.

Klump through the PA system: "Your Majesty, your dinner is ready."

K. Rool: "I CAN'T COME TO DINNER KLUMP, I GOT INVITE- I-- I GOTTA GO!.... (keeps trying to put it on) maybe just a Banana! OH AND SOME ORANGES!"

After several attempts to put it on, he sucks up air and is able to put it on, but as soon as he breathes out it pops out and breaks a bunch of stuff in his throne room.

Finally he comes out to the battlefield and fights the other characters with his blunderbuss. (whether he got the golden armor on him or not, that's up to you to decide)

"KING K. ROOL, KRUSHES THE KOMPETITION!!"
Wow. Lol.

Hey, can somebody go help explain to this guy that there are no copyright issues keeping K. Rool from being used in Nintendo games? He's really pissing me off.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Maybe we can not tell him? After all, I've seen some very smart speculators say that relevance doesn't matter for third parties like Mega Man and Cloud. ;)

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'll leave him be but yeah, he's muddying the issue by even putting K. Rool usage conspiracy theories /in the same conversation/ as copyright. It's like he's trolling himself. Just kind of a useless video.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Last edited:

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Well to keep you busy, the DKC fanimation collab is still happening. Some of the guys have submitted their portions but it's not technically ready yet.

Also, if you animate you can still tell them you want in https://twitter.com/DKReanimated
Holy Christ on a cracker are they talking about the horribly animated tv show from the 90's?

Lmaoooooo I'd watch that, I have the entire show on DVD for some reason so that would be fun

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Well to keep you busy, the DKC fanimation collab is still happening. Some of the guys have submitted their portions but it's not technically ready yet.

Also, if you animate you can still tell them you want in https://twitter.com/DKReanimated
I can't wait to see One of Us and The Finest Hour reanimated. How much are they going to reanimate of the show? Reminds me of the time when a bunch of animators collaborated to reanimate the Mama Luigi episode.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow. Lol.

Hey, can somebody go help explain to this guy that there are no copyright issues keeping K. Rool from being used in Nintendo games? He's really pissing me off.

The guy is saying K Rool has copyright issues because he only appeared in Spin offs?

How does that make sense?

Unless the copyright at the end says (c) Rare for K Rool then he's not copyrighted by Rare

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I just want to know what K. Rools splash screen could say, here's some idea's I had.

"King K. Rool sails past the competition!"

"King K. Rool is finally here for you!"

"King K. Rool takes aim"

"King K. Rool :Blast from the past"

"King K. Rool has his finest hour"
After NoA referencing the too big meme, I could easily see them making a finest hour reference.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I don't know why people think that because Rare is not with Nintendo anymore that K. Rool is still with rare, Diddy Kong is also made by Rare :/

Banjo and Conker make sense to be owned by Rare, since those's are rare's own ip, but K. Rool is part of the DK franchise

now you could counteract that with Geno, but Square Enix isn't Rare, Square Enix is a 3rd party company, Rare is a 2nd party company. I'm not the biggest genius on this topic, but i think these factors really make a difference. don't count me on that though.

Plus wouldn't Rare's name be on the games Rool appears in if he was owned by them?

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Holy Christ on a cracker are they talking about the horribly animated tv show from the 90's?

Lmaoooooo I'd watch that, I have the entire show on DVD for some reason so that would be fun
They picked one episode to start with but in the future who knows... ?

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Oh hey, 100+ pages, good job, guys! More than any speculation we've had so far, surely Soccer-guy will respect the amount of pages we have in this random forum thread and give us what we deserve, I can already see the character trailer now..

"KING K. ROOL
Is requested by 'K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats on www.smashboards.com!"

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Add to that the 1233 pages from the old social boards that started 6 years ago as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh hey, 100+ pages, good job, guys! More than any speculation we've had so far, surely Soccer-guy will respect the amount of pages we have in this random forum thread and give us what we deserve, I can already see the character trailer now..

"KING K. ROOL
Is requested by 'K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats on www.smashboards.com!"
Speaking of the title

I was watching the ending to DKC2 the other day

And they spell it differently

Kremling.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's actually the incorrect spelling of the word. But IDK

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I know this has been said before, but I really want to see K. Rool appear in the next DKC game. I can just imagine Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrick slowly walking up to him at some location with K. Rool being upset (similar to how he was with Army Dillo in DK64) with their failure to take down the Kongs. At that point you'd realize King K. Rool was the true mastermind behind their arrival on DK Island. I'd really love to see that scenario happen, Too bad that's unlikely. I'd give anything to see him return as the main antagonist again though.

StormC

Smash Hero
I know this has been said before, but I really want to see K. Rool appear in the next DKC game. I can just imagine Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrick slowly walking up to him at some location with K. Rool being upset (similar to how he was with Army Dillo in DK64) with their failure to take down the Kongs. At that point you'd realize King K. Rool was the true mastermind behind their arrival on DK Island. I'd really love to see that scenario happen, Too bad that's unlikely. I'd give anything to see him return as the main antagonist again though.
I'd rather not try to force a link between K. Rool and the Retro villains. Makes the universe feel smaller, plus it doesn't really feel in-character for K. Rool to send others in his stead like that (the exception being DKC3 because he was in hiding from the Kremlings who mutinied against him).

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd make sense if he's trying to rebuild his empire after the events of DK64. Plus, It's not like Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrick really left that much of an impression. They're both pretty forgettable. At least in my opinion.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I would be curious to know exactly how Sakurai would manage his move set and looks. I know there is a lot of speculation on moves coming from the first three Country games (which is hopefully what we will get. But not a whole lot of moves from things like that DK swing game or the barrel racing game. I mean I could see the swinging thing as an up B and the barrel he rode in as a side B similar to Villagers.

I am very curious to see how Sakurai would implement him overall.
His up special will probably be the helipack.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, what's also notable about the K. Rool Mii costume is that it is the only Mii costume of a character that is technically a mix between two designs, being baed off K. Rool rare design with a bit of Paon influence since the costume has a blue jewel instead of the green one Rare K. Rool has. No other costume has this distinction.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Long story short, the amount of time something exists has no bearing on how much people enjoy it.
Well, of course you can enjoy a new game. But we're talking about bonds to possibly completely new characters.

As a maybe weird example:
Of course you could like new friends and maybe have more in common with them than with old ones, but all the history (experiences and times together) from the past ones should probably be worth more, until you've had enough time with these new friends (aka more games of a character and some years of playing them).

I'll use Decidueye as an example, since it's one of my most wanted newcomers (third, in my case). Ghost, Grass, Fairy, and Normal are my favorite Pokémon types, and Decidueye covers two of those, being a Grass/Ghost type. Owls are also some of my favorite birds, alongside toucans, ducks, and pigeons, and Decidueye is an owl. Some of my favorite fictional characters are archers, like Virion from Fire Emblem Awakening or Hawkeye from The Avengers, and a true archer is something I've always wanted in Smash (beyond just using a bow for a neutral special and then never firing it again). I also love Pokémon. As a franchise it means so much to me. I was born in 1996, right when Pokémania was about to hit the US, and I remember loving it from the start.

So the fact that Decidueye is a Grass/Ghost Archer Owl Pokémon (with a nice earthy color scheme to boot) makes it instantly appeal to me, and it's one of my absolute favorite starter Pokémon, rounding out my top four after Venusaur, Greninja, and Samurott. And of course, its abilities also make it a standout Smash contender in my eyes. Yeah, it's not my favorite Pokémon, but considering ones like Klefki or Shiftry or Chandelure straight up won't happen, why wouldn't I support a Pokémon I love that still has a chance? Just because I haven't loved it as long doesn't mean I love it less, so I give it my support.
I can definitely understand this and it's the same for myself. I like many of the new Pokemon instantly if the design looks good or cool to me. It's also Pokemon, which is a franchise I like that gets more and more new characters. Completely new franchises I'd see as something different, though. Pokemon also (usually) keeps all new Pokemon and treats them all as about equal. It also became the norm to include some new Pokemon every time, which makes sense. As a comparison: just because Pauline joined in Mario Odyssey after not being used too much you probably shouldn't expect her to appear in Smash or other Mario spinoffs immediately. A new Pokemon is a much bigger deal than a "side"-character. Same with Elma or Rex/Pyra from Xenoblade.

Since the Xenoblade series has already etablished itself it's expected for it to get another character to join Smash. Since they're important/main characters it's also okay for them.

But will your bond really be the same as for a franchise that had more games and reoccuring main characters that you've known for years? Idk. I mean if you like the other game more then sure I can easily see it.

Another big thing is timing. For characters of series with non-static casts, like Pokémon, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade Chronicles, or small series with a recent game but no real future, like, say, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., it creates a now-or-never scenario. If they don't get in now, their series will likely move past them, shutting the door on them to enter Smash for the forseeable future. If Decidueye doesn't get in now, he's not getting in ever, as the next Smash game will be long past Alola. This isn't even something that only affects new characters either. Celica, my second most wanted character and third favorite Fire Emblem character over all, has been around since 1992, but only last year was Fire Emblem Gaiden remade as Shadows of Valentia. It had been in development since mid-2015, so it isn't a total lost cause...yet. DLC isn't even a real option for her either, as Fire Emblem Three Houses is around the corner and they'd likely opt for Byleth or Edelgard as DLC instead. This holds true for Decidueye vs a generation eight Pokémon as well.

So a character can be truly popular despite being new, and in many cases, the now-or-never factor is also at play, so why should it be held against them if they're not "supported long enough" if it may result in them never getting in at all?
Oh I'm not against giving characters chances just because they weren't supported long enough. It's mostly just "do people REALLY like this character more and did it exist long enough for that to be possible and have made a big enough impact that's enough to be worthy of joining Smash?".

This isn't right at all. Just because someone enjoys a character that you don't see as "worthy" of support doesn't make their support any less genuine.
Is it really genuine support for the character (imo no, but you can see that in many different ways)? I can definitely sympathize with wanting characters or whatever that would make other people happy, but I don't think this is always the case. I think many people are just supporting some characters "because it's the current fad" or maybe they like the char a little bit and since they have more followers it'll get bigger and seem much bigger than it is, making them more confident or seem like they want that character more than others.

I remember during Brawl I didn't want to Lucario to join and was worried about Mewtwo after seeing him. People really wanted Lucario a lot, but once they found out about Mewtwo not being in the game they were like "wait, I wanted Lucario, but not if it meant in replacement of Mewtwo". Many characters have a lot of follower or seem big, even enough many people might even like many other characters more.

I think that's another reason why I'd support a poll of your top 3-10 (or whatever number they'd use) favorite characters for the poll.
This will make it easier to find the most wanteds overall.
Since maybe [random example] 20 people have K. Rool as 2nd and only one as 1st, but 3 people have Dixie as first, but all others have her at like 10th+. But from the way the ballot was done, this wouldn't be shown and Dixie would seem more popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh if King K. Rool is a clone I'd take it honestly long as he's in that's all that matters, maybe he could add the blunderbuss, and helicopter pack. In future games, or could have them in taunts, and victory animations, I'd just be glad he's in. That's enough for me for now.

Don't believe any leaks unless we here it from, Sakurai himself, or the Super Smash Blog. Confirms it. The news will be seen as the only I get info for this game. Glad K. Rool is in them, this is one positive at least.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Eh if King K. Rool is a clone I'd take it honestly long as he's in that's all that matters, maybe he could add the blunderbuss, and helicopter pack. In future games, or could have them in taunts, and victory animations, I'd just be glad he's in. That's enough for me for now.

Don't believe any leaks unless we here it from, Sakurai himself, or the Super Smash Blog. Confirms it. The news will be seen as the only I get info for this game. Glad K. Rool is in them, this is one positive at least.
no k rool deserve more than a clone. he fights nothing like any of the other fighters

Top Bottom