• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXwtH0C4A&feature=recentlik So my fellow Dutchman made a combo video that I would advise everyone to watch. It's pretty **** entertaining even though I'm not in it.
Obvious Marth prefection has been attained is obvious.

No srsly like lololol wtf that maaakes no sensz cats.

That guy's tech skill is wicked and personally I don't know how the **** ChuDat or YbM would do against a Marth with that much advantage over the stage who can manipulate the air mobility factor into Marth's favor.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I actually platform cancel a lot. Kirby's best platform cancelling move is dair since it autocancels our landing (no visible lag at all). You can feel the difference in pace from a match immediately, but still, since Kirby's vertical movement is so slow compared to Marths, you'll never see him doing things as fast as Mr.R does (although it still helps, I do a lot of nice-looking maneuvers and mindgames like that, which is why I prefer BF over any other stage. The chances of me losing there in PR are very slim).

BTW, went to a smashfest yesterday, did some epic reading+stringing with Kirby, I just gotta say that Kirby is so awesome, and ZSS should be below him in the tier list.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
well after I found out that if you use D-air close to the ground and fast fall it before the move comes out (when kirby is all squished together) you get the sound (that little grunt he does) so people stay in their shields...thus netting me a free grab...lol

also something I have been landing alot lately
1. Uptilt-> air dodge read -> pivot ground hammer/charged fsmash
2.Empty Short hop to jump behind person -> rock drop in shield.

number 2 is after you have conditioned them to thinking you are going to bair or dair when ever you are facing backwards

C~Dog

Smash Champion
So I've got the national Aus tourney this weekend. Pools were released, and I've got a Marth/MK (1st seed), Peach, and Ice Climbers (both unseeded), I was 2nd seed. Gotta read up on the matchups. I've been playing worse lately, so it will be really close. I may have to go MK against the ICs since I play D3 and Kirby which is pretty lame.

M2K has been training in the next state over, they are amazed at how good he is hahaha. Hall is about as good (if a little better) than the best player of that state.

EDIT: Kewkky, I though you could only platform cancel on moving platforms?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
EDIT: Kewkky, I though you could only platform cancel on moving platforms?
Nope, you can platform cancel on any platform. It's just more noticeable on moving platforms because as you land, your momentum change is much more dramatic than on a stationary platforms.

I would personally go Kirby against that bunch of nasty MUs you got there, but hey, that's just me and my inner main talking out loud.

And I'd better see some M2K vs Aus vids, man!

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Nope, you can platform cancel on any platform. It's just more noticeable on moving platforms because as you land, your momentum change is much more dramatic than on a stationary platforms.
Ohh okay that explains it then. I should practice it.

I dunno, I probably will go Kirby, I generally end up using only Kirby anyway lol. Depends how i'm playing i guess, I've been playing worse for the latter half of the year. I lost to the Peach in my pool last tourney (luckiest peach in the world, gets **** turnip pulls), and I lost to the ICs last time I played him. I've got one of the hardest pools, the seeding could have been better.

Don't worry, you will definitely be seeing some videos ;D I thiiiiink there maaaaaay be a livestream set up, but i'm not sure.

Just checking, are these the most up-to-date versions of each of the Peach, ICs, and Marth discussion threads respectively?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268916
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271925
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271022

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Wow against Peach last tourney we played SV, FD, FD again.... stages i'm supposed to ban lololol

Anyone here like...Adventure Time??

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Dude that Show is so ****ing funny...that and that one show with the Blue bird and there always going OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...lol

Are you sure that it's only every platform, Kewk? When I tested this like a month ago, it didn't work on stationary platforms, or at least nearly as easy as on a moving platform. It's widely known to only work on only moving platforms, but if you're sure that it doesn't, well then I'm gonna have to go out and check this.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I think he's talking about kirbys d-air cancel...atleast i would hopes so because that well def work on every platfrom...all you have to do is fastfall the dair before it actually start and kirby gets no lag from it (no hit either obviously)

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
well after I found out that if you use D-air close to the ground and fast fall it before the move comes out (when kirby is all squished together) you get the sound (that little grunt he does) so people stay in their shields...thus netting me a free grab...lol
Heheh, you'd be surprised how much sound plays in mindgames. Just like the Edge Canceling your Hammer. Hearing Kirby's epic battle cry can cause your opponent to do some very interesting things. I once had a DK airdodge self-destruct(O_o).

You can platform cancel on any platform. It's just more noticeable on moving platforms because as you land, your momentum change is much more dramatic than on a stationary platforms.
Really?? How did I not know this? I guess I haven't lurked around enough >_<. I like BF as it is and being able to do that *dribbles* I can only imagine the mindgames. I only platform cancel in SV like most people. When the platform moves toward my opponent that's when I like to do it. It's surprising seeing Kirby move so fast when you add his running speed with the traveling platform. :laugh:

*Goes looking for the Platform Canceling thread*

dont do it with air dodge, you're forced into shield. bad bad bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJPubEjIS0
o.o

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Hammer Cancel > Hammer is the best, beats spotdodges like nobodies business.

EDIT: Shaya broke M2K's controller ahahahaha. He's never going to come here again.

EDIT: wtf do i use Nair for o.o

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Nair=Throw it out randomly...lol

also

throw it out when you used a B-move in the air so that you don't get that disgusting phantom lag and nair is his fastest lag move so its safer then using his other options

oh and nair pikman off Because I think pikman stale moves you wanna keep that fresh bair!!...plus it gets them all off anyway. at low percents if you nair someone with the back side of you it leads into uptilt (like really low percents)

I use nair alot but could probably be replaced with another move and still be fine...I also use nair in place of fair some times...but I just found out Fair can get auto cancelled out of a short hop but the timing is strict as hell

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Auto Canceling F-air out of a short hop isn't hard really. You just have to do it at the very start of the jump. You just kinda slide your thumb from X to A. Assuming you use Gamecube controller :p. It takes a little practice but you'll get the timing down quickly.

Shift

Smash Journeyman
Dude that Show is so ****ing funny...that and that one show with the Blue bird and there always going OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...lol
Adventure Time is awesome.

And the show you're talking about is "Regular Show"

I love those shows too. :)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Are you sure that it's only every platform, Kewk? When I tested this like a month ago, it didn't work on stationary platforms, or at least nearly as easy as on a moving platform. It's widely known to only work on only moving platforms, but if you're sure that it doesn't, well then I'm gonna have to go out and check this.

Try it out then. It's probable that I'm speaking of something else instead, since it's "canceling" an aerial on a "platform".

I think he's talking about kirbys d-air cancel...atleast i would hopes so because that well def work on every platfrom...all you have to do is fastfall the dair before it actually start and kirby gets no lag from it (no hit either obviously)
Yeah, with Kirby it's just with our dair. You don't need to fastfall it when you jump onto a platform though, just fullhop until your body's over the platform, dair, and profit (you might need to get a feel for it first though). Since no one has tried checking the frame data for that, I'm assuming we have no landing frames from how it feels, and since our hurtbox extends downwards due to the dair, we land on the platform before we're supposed to land on it normally.

I know I love jumping onto a platform this way, fastfalling constantly, jumping again, scaring my opponents into thinking I'm about to do something different.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

also something I have been landing alot lately
1. Uptilt-> air dodge read -> pivot ground hammer/charged fsmash
2.Empty Short hop to jump behind person -> rock drop in shield.

number 2 is after you have conditioned them to thinking you are going to bair or dair when ever you are facing backwards
Those two sound fun. I actually do #2 sometimes but rarely. The good thing about it is that even if they shield (not perfect shield) the Stone, it pushes them pretty far back so they'll have trouble punishing.

I love using Dair and landing before the move comes out and he makes that noise. It's fun to spam occasionally. I call it 'hup canceling' since the noise he makes sounds like "Hup!"

I was practicing it (mostly with Fox because it seems extremely useful for him) and I could only do it on Smashville, Lylat, Distant Planet (lol) and occasionally on Yoshi's Island when the platform is tilting.

Hammer Cancel > Hammer is the best, beats spotdodges like nobodies business.

EDIT: Shaya broke M2K's controller ahahahaha. He's never going to come here again.

EDIT: wtf do i use Nair for o.o
Nobody falls for my hammer cancel (when you run off the stage but hammer right before, but he falls off before the hammer comes out, right?) mindgames :(

One advantage Nair has over Bair is the fact that it stays out so long, it punishes dodges much better. Better hope they dodge though, otherwise you're getting shieldgrabbed because of its pitiful range+Kirby's pitiful airspeed...

Try it out then. It's probable that I'm speaking of something else instead, since it's "canceling" an aerial on a "platform".
what we're talking about is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKf935ITPAI&feature=related
no matter at what point you are in your jump, you hit down on the C-stick (or down on the control stick and an aerial or apparently shield button) and you instantly land on the platform, with no lag. It's been around forever but I can't believe I've barely known about it all this time, I see so much use for it, at least with Fox. Kirby can't seem to do it out of his 5 aerial jumps, which sucks >_>

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The entire cast can do it. I know that TL can cancel his Bair with the platform, but can only cancel his momentum with the platform when he tries to do it with a bomb pull.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, every character can do it, it's just only useful for some. If you watched that Marth combo video I linked, you'll see its uses everywhere in it. Kirby can only do it at the height of his fullhop, which makes it almost useless, it just shaves off a fraction of a second between falling and landing. Plus, Kirby's fullhop is pretty slow compared to characters like Falco and Fox and pretty much every character x_x

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Yeah, every character can do it, it's just only useful for some. If you watched that Marth combo video I linked, you'll see its uses everywhere in it. Kirby can only do it at the height of his fullhop, which makes it almost useless, it just shaves off a fraction of a second between falling and landing. Plus, Kirby's fullhop is pretty slow compared to characters like Falco and Fox and pretty much every character x_x
I linked?!

10chars

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I posted this at The Pit boards...and I thought it would be interesting to see what other kirbys do as far as matches/matchups

If you don't have a secondary or use any other character but kirby then don't bother doing the list

Who I use for matches.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Edit:
Meta Knight -Kirby
Snake - Pit
Diddy Kong -Both
Falco - if agressive Pit. if Campy Kirby
Wario - Kirby
Marth - Kirby
Ice Climbers- Pit
Olimar - Kirby
Pikachu -Both (mostly kirby)
King Dedede - Pit....hate this matchup lately
Mr. Game & Watch - Kirby
Lucario - ??? Idk haven't decided...probably Pit
Zero Suit Samus - Pit
Toon Link - Kirby (can't outcamp TL I get flustered by camping)
Kirby - Pit unless I know I can win with kirby because Kirby dittos are lame
Fox - Kirby
R.O.B - Pit
Pit- Pit (smirk) I can do this ditto
Peach - Both
Donkey Kong - Both
Luigi - Kirby
Wolf - Kirby
Sonic - Pit (can do kirby if need be though)
Ike - Both
Sheik -Kirby
Ness - Both
Pokémon Trainer - PT (yes I can play PT...actually best PT in MD/VA...lol)
Yoshi - Pit
Lucas - Both
Mario - Pit
Bowser - Kirby (kill power to good)
Captain Falcon - Both
Samus - Pit (can do both though
Jigglypuff - Kirby
Link - HAHA
Zelda - Pit
Ganondorf - HAHA 2x

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Haven't thought of using other mains for match up's, I just pick them depending on my mood. Since I can't perform better with other characters than Kirby. I might make a list soon.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I posted this at The Pit boards...and I thought it would be interesting to see what other kirbys do as far as matches/matchups

If you don't have a secondary or use any other character but kirby then don't bother doing the list

Who I use for matches.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Edit:
Meta Knight -Kirby
Snake - Pit
Diddy Kong -Both
Falco - if agressive Pit. if Campy Kirby
Wario - Kirby
Marth - Kirby
Ice Climbers- Pit
Olimar - Kirby
Pikachu -Both (mostly kirby)
King Dedede - Pit....hate this matchup lately
Mr. Game & Watch - Kirby
Lucario - ??? Idk haven't decided...probably Pit
Zero Suit Samus - Pit
Toon Link - Kirby (can't outcamp TL I get flustered by camping)
Kirby - Pit unless I know I can win with kirby because Kirby dittos are lame
Fox - Kirby
R.O.B - Pit
Pit- Pit (smirk) I can do this ditto
Peach - Both
Donkey Kong - Both
Luigi - Kirby
Wolf - Kirby
Sonic - Pit (can do kirby if need be though)
Ike - Both
Sheik -Kirby
Ness - Both
Pokémon Trainer - PT (yes I can play PT...actually best PT in MD/VA...lol)
Yoshi - Pit
Lucas - Both
Mario - Pit
Bowser - Kirby (kill power to good)
Captain Falcon - Both
Samus - Pit (can do both though
Jigglypuff - Kirby
Link - HAHA
Zelda - Pit
Ganondorf - HAHA 2x
I already posted this in the new tier list thread, but here you go:

Since people are talking about Fox needing a secondary or something.... yeah? So do most characters that aren't Meta Knight. Big deal, Fox is still a really good character. I use Kirby/Fox exclusively, and here is the character I would use for the matchups down to the bottom of mid tier:

Meta Knight: Fox by far
Snake: either
Diddy Kong: possibly either, leaning towards Kirby
Falco: preferably Fox
Wario: Fox
Marth: Fox
Ice Climbers: screwed either way lolz
Olimar: ..Fox, still difficult either way
Pikachu: you don't need to ask
King Dedede: either, probably Fox
Mr. Game & Watch: Probably Fox
Lucario: Fox
Zero Suit Samus: Fox
Toon Link: either, probably Kirby
R.O.B.: Fox
Pit: Kirby
Peach: either
Donkey Kong: either, mostly Fox
Luigi: Kirby
Wolf: probably Kirby
Sonic: Fox
Ike: is actually a low tier
Sheik: Kirby
Ness: Fox
Pokémon Trainer: Squirtle beats Fox and Kirby so I dunno lol

my opinion. As you can see, I prefer Fox as much or more often than Kirby, who is directly above him on the tier list. It seems to me like he's around the right spot, or
that Kirby is too high like I think he is

Go on, I DARE you to tell me I should use Kirby against MK instead of Fox.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I did so well at my smashfest today; definitely making improvements.

My list
Meta Knight -Kirby
Snake - Falco/ Kirby
Diddy Kong -Kirby/ Falco
Falco - Kirby/TL
Wario - Kirby
Marth - Kirby
Ice Climbers- Kirby (Can come close to/ soommmmmeeeetimes win against Hylian and Lain)
Olimar - TL
Pikachu -Kirby/ TL
King Dedede - Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch - Kirby
Lucario - TL
Zero Suit Samus - TL/Kirby
Toon Link - TL/Falco/Kirby
Kirby - Kirby/TL
Fox - Kirby
R.O.B - TL/Falco
Pit- TL/Kirby
Peach - Kirby
Donkey Kong - Kirby/TL
Luigi - Kirby
Wolf - Kirby/MK
Sonic - Kirby
Ike - Kirby/TL
Sheik -Kirby
Ness - Kirby
Pokémon Trainer - No idea....I haven't ever played TL against PT so for now Kirby?
Yoshi - Kirby/TL
Lucas - Kirby/TL
Mario - Kirby
Bowser - Kirby
Captain Falcon - Kirby/TL/Falcon
Samus - MK
Jigglypuff - Kirby
Link - TL
Zelda - TL/Mario
Ganondorf - TL

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You play Falco but you'd rather go Kirby against MK, while top Falcos are making upsets against top MKs but top Kirbys generally... aren't? (I think?)

I dunno, projectiles and chaingrabs sound appealing against MK. Sure, he can get gimped, but MK already gimps everyone anyway lols!

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
chudat got 2 stocked low percent by omni at a recent tourney...once MK's learn kirby can't do **** when he's behind they win

@stingers

MK is like Pit 2.0 without arrows

Top Bottom