• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

More @PushDustIn poll. You have one vote in it so choose wisely.
voted k rool.

i will admit that it took me awhile to find the link,i clicked on "@pushdustin poll" thinking it was all 1 link...it then took me to pushdustin's profile page and i was like where is the poll at?....i then realized that "poll" was a seperate link from "@pushdustin".

it was a little hard to tell because the green text kinda blended in with the orange text of the link,i may be going blind,or im just dumb :)

also notice my new sig,now when i post you get to see k rool giving a thumbs up and saying "good job kutthroat"

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I recognize and love the series' cartoony elements, but at the same time, I don't handwave away legitimately evil things like K. Rool's cannonball torture and Kasplat "demotion," just because the developers didn't really intend for gamers to apply more than a Looney Tunes level of comprehension. The idea that the series is comprised of nothing more than cartoon gags also becomes fodder for fans of "serious business, oh-so-complex" series like the various JRPGs to laugh at DK fans, about "lol how do people care about DK at all, it's just about monkeys." I like that fans like the ones in this thread and on places like DK Vine exist as a counterweight to that.

Anyhow, do we have any Dutch fans in here? A YouTube channel with 100,000+ subscribers just put out a K. Rool video, so here's the link if you're interested. It's good publicity for the character in any case.

http://youtu.be/Dn44gw6FoXI

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I like K. Rool for his goofiness. As Gregg Mayles notes about the final design, he's "slightly pathetic". I don't think K. Rool needs to have his actions or thought process made "darker" to have his characterization appreciated. In fact, I feel like it might be going against the characterization that the Rare games established for him. He is "evil", but he is very goofy/over the top about it: he tries to win by breaking the fourth wall and rolling the credits, he puts on disguises and adopts aliases, he looks doofily at the camera when hit, he struggles taking a picture of himself for the DKC3 credits album, his final boss fight in DK64 involves entering his shoe and shooting his toes, his name is literally a pun, etc.

Yes, he has moments where he can be very serious. His execution of the Kasplat comes to mind. But those moments are not in isolation. They exist alongside the goofiness, ultimately making him a very "theatrical" character. Intimidating but simultaneously goofy. I always liked that; it was endearing to me. It felt refreshing compared to the way Bowser was played "straight" in the main Mario games.

Having said that, I do like some of the "continuity" of the series, even some that Retro has undone (like DK's face on his island). Wrinkly Kong dying, for example, is unnecessary but adds to the sense that the story is "progressing". That's something that barely exists in other platforming games, Mario among them. I even find it fun to speculate about things that the games only, at most, imply. Indeed, I think it's worthwhile to take the games seriously to an extent; it contributes to a feeling of "knowing" the series and its characters. Wrinkly dying, for example, contributes to the sense that you are returning to an old friend when playing a DK game. Compare this to the repetitiveness and stagnation of the Mario games, where continuity is legitimately difficult to understand because the game scenarios repeat so often and appear barely connected. Not so with DK games -- K. Rool's own actions provided progression. First he steals the bananas, then he steals DK himself, next he takes both DK and Diddy, fetc.

But I agree that some of the darker interpretations of K. Rool seem puzzling. I don't need to make K. Rool into a Joker-like villain to appreciate him and his series. Maybe it's good to make a distinction between "taking the games seriously" and interpreting the games as "uncharacteristically dark".

Last edited:

HonoratusHidde

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hiddeman
Anyhow, do we have any Dutch fans in here? A YouTube channel with 100,000+ subscribers just put out a K. Rool video, so here's the link if you're interested. It's good publicity for the character in any case.

http://youtu.be/Dn44gw6FoXI
A Dutch fan right here. I saw the video this evening and was thinking about posting it here anyway, but you beat me to it.

The video isn't necessarily about K.Rool though. It's a podcast where they give thwir thoughts on three different subjects. One of the subjects was their top 3 character wishlist for Smash. K.Rool was number 2 on the list of one of them. (And one of the two serious character choices. The other guy complimented the first guy on this choice, after which they talked a bit about how they didn't understand why K.Rool isn't already in Smash. The part about K.Rool took two minutes at most. But it's still nice to see them using K.Rool in the thumbnail and video title.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
DK64 is a particularly interesting case, as it basically features K. Rool at both his most serious and his most silliest.

While the cutscenes do have some comical moments, for the most part they portray K. Rool as rather evil and intimidating. Planning to blow up DK Isles, forcing his technicians to work 24/7 with Klaptraps guarding them, having a Kasplat executed, ordering the activation of the Blast-o-Matic despite being told that "it could explode and destroy us all"... But then in the final battle he's sillier than ever before, and the whole setting, his attacks and the ways you defeat him are pretty comedic. In the final round he's somewhat serious again, but then ultimately he's defeated by having Candy flirt with him while Funky shoots him with a boot.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
So I recently went onto the Miiverse stage and my brother was playing as a mii. Suddenly one of support pictures in the background depicted a Kremling shouting, "Go K. Rool!" Then getting bonked on the head by K. Rool himself saying, "That's not me you idiot!" I wish I had a picture but my SD card wasn't in the Wii U.

It didn't happen to be made by any of you guys was it?

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Even for Ganondorf, Sakurai says there are multiple Ganon's just like there are multiple Links and Zeldas. I believe that is wrong and there is only one Ganon, just across multiple timelines.
At the most, there are 2 Ganons if you want to be technical. In Four Swords Adventure, Ganon was a reincarnation, while in every other game he's the same entity being revived.

But yeah, Sakurai is still wrong. Not a surprise, given his apathy toward the character.

Let's also not forget his constant "ReDead are totally not zombies you guys" mistakes.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Someone can go throw up a 4chan post from a "former Namco employee who's sharing the ballot winners with fans because he's angry, with bad grammar that totally means he's believable and from Japan," and a sizable chunk of people will take it seriously. It happened with the Mirror Mode and Metal Mario post, as well as the "one newcomer per region based on popularity: SK/Bandana Dee/Dixie" one. Why not one with the characters more people are actively wanting?

Because more people are actively wanting them, therefore it's impossible :trollface:

D

Deleted member

HAY GAIZ MAH LEAK HAS COMPELTELY LEGIT CHARECTERS THAT R GOING TO BE IN DA GAME AND THAT RESSON BEING THAT R NOT PAPOULER CAUSE SACK OF RICE HATES POPALAR CHAREKCTERS (Except Megaman and Little Mac cause RESONZ)

DA CHARACTERS R:
Joseph Joestar
Branko
Baby Paper Flying Samurai Waluigi
Filthy Frank
Bazooka Dee
Andre from GameXplain
SomecallmeJohnny
Dio Brando
Don Ramon

This was another attempt at beign funny. Sorry if looks like spam.

I just want some news already. Or at the very least, some CREDIBLE rumor to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
HAY GAIZ MAH LEAK HAS COMPELTELY LEGIT CHARECTERS THAT R GOING TO BE IN DA GAME AND THAT RESSON BEING THAT R NOT PAPOULER CAUSE SACK OF RICE HATES POPALAR CHAREKCTERS (Except Megaman and Little Mac cause RESONZ)

DA CHARACTERS R:
Joseph Joestar
Branko
Bazooka Dee
Andre from GameXplain
SomecallmeJohnny
Dio Brando
Don Ramon

I just want some news already. Or at the very least, some CREDIBLE rumor to talk about.
"SACK OF RICE" I can't deal

And yeah, it's been real quiet lately. Not sure whether I prefer no news or bad news, to be honest.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Which is why on one of the only times we actually see Sakurai play a round of Smash against someone, he's using Ganondorf. :rolleyes:
And?

People would think anybofy he picked was his "main". He also played as Pac-Man against some people. Guess Pac-Man is his main too.

D

Deleted member

And?

People would think anybofy he picked was his "main". He also played as Pac-Man against some people. Guess Pac-Man is his main too.
Arguing a strawman point, I see.
Point to where I stated Ganondorf was his "main". Go on, do it.

No, all I was pointing out was that one of the only times we've seen Sakurai play a round (that wasn't for demonstration purposes like Pac-Man was), he was playing as Ganondorf. Which he wouldn't have been if he was so "apathetic" towards him. Hell, it could be argued that Ganondorf wouldn't even be in the game if Sakurai had only apathy towards him.

I get that Ganondorf is in Smash isn't to your liking. However, when people that are displeased that Ganondorf is how he is try to argue that Sakurai "just doesn't care" about Ganondorf, they need to get it in their heads that the only thing he "doesn't care" about is their whining.

And on that note, that's all I have to say on the non-K. Rool related matter.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525

DA CHARACTERS R:
Joseph Joestar
Branko
Filthy Frank
Bazooka Dee
Andre from GameXplain
SomecallmeJohnny
Dio Brando
Don Ramon

Sorry, but that leak is fake. Sorry to dissapoint.

I know the real leak! My uncle works at Nintendo but he's half blind so anything he gets wrong isn't his or my fault so this leak is legit. I'm super cereal.

The characters my uncle said are joining are, drumroll plzz

Generic Tiki because they were so popular

Isaac but he's a total Roy clone and their VA is also the same

Reggie Fisasomething to coincide with the release of Super Reggie Kart for gameboy advance.

Ridley but he's missing his wings and head.

Walmart because they sell Nintendo things and totally deserve to be in smash. It's moveset is kind of hard to explain but insiders are alredy saying it's going to be MK Brawl tier.

Judd from Splatoon because he represents the series so perfectly.

Kazooie from Banjo and Kazooie, Nintendo felt like they would be too similar too Duck Hunt so they seperated them but had technical problems with Banjo so they only made Kazooie! Lucky us! But he was kind of small compared to the rest of the cast so they scaled him up to about the same size of Pyrosphere Ridley.

Shovel Knight without a shovel, Nintendo felt like he would be too similar too Kazooie so they removed the shovel.

That's everyone! What a great line-up of characters. They'll start releasing October 10 2016. Sorry if you didn't get the character you wanted.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman

DA CHARACTERS R:
Joseph Joestar
Branko
Filthy Frank
Bazooka Dee
Andre from GameXplain
SomecallmeJohnny
Dio Brando
Don Ramon

No goku.
7.8/10 Too Much Bazooka Dee

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If DK Jr. is Cranky's son, and current DK's father, then where is the actual DK junior now? Why's DK shown with his grandfather but not his dad?

...Is he dead? Did he walk out on the family? Did he become estranged from Mrs. Kong and not want to pay child support? Actually, how old is the DK we have now? In human years, not gorilla years.

Donkey Kong is deep, man.
I always simply liked the notion that DK Jr. ultimately went off to go on some adventurs of his own after his own son was fully-grown. :p

He simply changed his name like Cranky and now works in the showbiz under the moniker "Swanky Kong". Due to his profession he lives a very busy life, so Cranky had to raise DK in his stead.

Compare his facial features to DK/Cranky and his hairstyle to Wrinkly's. It actually makes sense.
I wish I still had my old Kong family-tree notes from back in the day (I used to jot down all the stuff from official sources whenever it came up in manuals, magazines, interviews, and so on), but if my memory serves me correctly, Swanky was said to be DK's brother.

With regard to the seriousness of K. Rool, I think you can interpret it different ways, depending on the game. Overall, though, I object to the idea that, just because "it's a game about cartoon monkeys," it must lack any depth. That Rare occasionally had more serious tones in their DKCs (especially 2) made them way more memorable to me than they would have been if their games were just "Wacky Jungle Adventure 496." Honestly, the reason detractors and sites like IGN badmouth DKC is probably partly because they see the series as such a game, rather than digging deeper. In essence, they were cartoony platformers with atmosphere and storyline under the surface if you dig deeper.

K. Rool's leadership and actions fall under that...on the surface, he's a goofy crocodile who steals bananas, but, for starters, did he do it to starve the Kongs? What else was he doing to DK beyond the three seconds of cannonball torture during the rest of DKC2? Why do the Kremlings all have missing limbs and scars in DKC2? It's not some intricate masterpiece, but it's still deeper and more purposeful characterization than it's credited for.
I agree with this. The balance of humour, light-heartedness, and slightly more serious moments is something that's interesting to look at in such games, and it takes some pretty good craftsmanship to strike that balance wel. I always particularly liked DKC2 for this, though a really good recent example of the same is Kirby Triple Deluxe - that game's director briefly touched on the topic on Miiverse here and here.

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
So I guess it's pretty common knowledge that K. Rool, if not leading the ballot (which there is no way to know for sure) is likely at least a top contender, but does he still carry the same amount of support in Japan as he does here? I've heard he's pretty popular there through polls and stuff, but is he considered as much of a titan there as he is here?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So I guess it's pretty common knowledge that K. Rool, if not leading the ballot (which there is no way to know for sure) is likely at least a top contender, but does he still carry the same amount of support in Japan as he does here? I've heard he's pretty popular there through polls and stuff, but is he considered as much of a titan there as he is here?
I think the most recent information we have on this is this tentative data from Source Gaming.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Point to where I stated Ganondorf was his "main". Go on, do it.
My bad, most Falcondorf defenders often cite that one moment as Sakurai being a Ganon main. I thought you were doing the same.

Hell, it could be argued that Ganondorf wouldn't even be in the game if Sakurai had only apathy towards him.
You want apathy? How about adding him in Melee at literally the last possible moment. Young Link was added in before Ganondorf was even considered. The only reason Sakurai added him was because fan polls wanted him. Sakurai probably couldn't have cared less. If only Ganon were higher priority in Melee, or held off until Brawl, he could actually be his own character. But no, thanks to Sakurai and his quantity over quality mindset.

@ PhantomShab PhantomShab and @ CharlieSolark CharlieSolark , is this the first time you posted in this thread or I just never saw you before?
I lurk these ballot threads occasionally. Well, the ones for characters I feel have a genuine chance anyway.

jranks

Smash Cadet
I really want King K Rool, I think he's still likely even with the Mii costume. There is no doubt in my mind that he is on top of the ballot.... when it comes to Nintendo characters, maybe not Overall

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I really want King K Rool, I think he's still likely even with the Mii costume. There is no doubt in my mind that he is on top of the ballot.... when it comes to Nintendo characters, maybe not Overall
My bad, most Falcondorf defenders often cite that one moment as Sakurai being a Ganon main. I thought you were doing the same.

You want apathy? How about adding him in Melee at literally the last possible moment. Young Link was added in before Ganondorf was even considered. The only reason Sakurai added him was because fan polls wanted him. Sakurai probably couldn't have cared less. If only Ganon were higher priority in Melee, or held off until Brawl, he could actually be his own character. But no, thanks to Sakurai and his quantity over quality mindset.

I lurk these ballot threads occasionally. Well, the ones for characters I feel have a genuine chance anyway.
I guess you should be properly welcomed.
Welcome aboard one of the nicest community on this site (with all modesty).

Ganon K. Roolenstein

Smash Cadet
Nintendo Power May 2008 Vol 228 [Transcription]: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/06/nintendopower228/

"At the time we announced Snake, we actually put together a survey for our users, asking which characters they would like to see in the game. And a huge amount of people said Sonic, especially in the United States. So in order to satisfy our fans, I thought it was a good idea to try to include Sonic. But that was the thing that put the whole process in motion."

This could be good for King K. Rool's chances.

EDIT: Also, replace "Sonic" with "King K. Rool." :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

are you sure?

I actually laughed out loud at this
No this is funny.
upload_2015-9-5_22-25-19.png
poor waluigi...

DA CHARACTERS R:Dio Brando
upload_2015-9-6_21-30-13.png
:troll:
I hope this image is mirrored because if not he got the bloodshot eye on the wrong side.
is this image mirrored? because its seems to be that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

You know that the K.Roolestain one as it to the opposite side of the others on the pics you showed, right?
sorry i remember something about the eye coming up, maybe it was because it was the first thing to come up.

Top Bottom