• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Ridley basically just fights like an archetypal dragon outside of his stage gimmick; fly, spit fire, slash with claws, tackle; none of that screams "intelligent military leader and cruel, sadistic sociopath" at all, which is what Ridley is as a character. It's like he thinks Ridley's just a generic dragon enemy or something!
But that's exactly how he's portrayed in like every battle in the Metroid series.

Seriously, this is getting a bit silly. You're trying to make Ridley sound like a majorly complex character from a best-selling novel or something. And how would a playable appearance be any different? He'd still have same kind of attacks and wouldn't showcase the traits you described any better than he does as a boss.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Dk scary thing

I know he isn't

I was trolling with you guys:troll:

(Besides i mean't they are smaller than they're real size and they still look super tough.)

Pakky

Smash Hero
But that's exactly how he's portrayed in like every battle in the Metroid series.

Seriously, this is getting a bit silly. You're trying to make Ridley sound like a majorly complex character from a best-selling novel or something. And how would a playable appearance be any different? He'd still have same kind of attacks and wouldn't showcase the traits you described any better than he does as a boss.
Okay so is Bowser playable? Shouldn't he just be a boss as well? Also comics are part of the Metroid canon as well, and if I'm not mistaken influenced Other M.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The space dragon and crocodile king can't seem to pick the locks on the handcuffs attaching them together.

The only similarities the two have, and only common bond, is that they are reptilian villains from franchises "under repped" in Smash that have been there since the first game and arguably the last of the "All-Stars". That's where the similarities end, I'd wager.

"No crying until the end"

We got 27 days to go. We'll see if K. Rool is confirmed or deconfirmed by then.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I like to bring up worst case scenarios for K. Rool because I want to avoid having what happened to the Ridley fanbase, happen to our fanbase. As much as I like the Ridley fanbase, I think they spent so much effort into shooting down dumb arguments that they had no recourse in place for if those arguments happened to become validated.

If K. Rool doesn't get in, we're going to get utterly bombarded with "he brings nothing new and is boring," "he has no future with DK," and "it was always just suggestion box where Sakurai could choose whoever and his vocal minority of fans were delusional to think he was doing well," among others. Thanks to our frequent coverage of all those bases, we're equipped to not get walked all over by fans who will parrot those points as objective fact.

Regardless of Smash, K. Rool's future as a character is shining ever brighter, and no way should we let a horde of militant loudmouths drag us down in Ridley's footsteps.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
The space dragon and crocodile king can't seem to pick the locks on the handcuffs attaching them together.

The only similarities the two have, and only common bond, is that they are reptilian villains from franchises "under repped" in Smash that have been there since the first game and arguably the last of the "All-Stars". That's where the similarities end, I'd wager.

"No crying until the end"

We got 27 days to go. We'll see if K. Rool is confirmed or deconfirmed by then.
You forgot that they have 2 of the nicest community.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I like to bring up worst case scenarios for K. Rool because I want to avoid having what happened to the Ridley fanbase, happen to our fanbase. As much as I like the Ridley fanbase, I think they spent so much effort into shooting down dumb arguments that they had no recourse in place for if those arguments happened to become validated.

If K. Rool doesn't get in, we're going to get utterly bombarded with "he brings nothing new and is boring," "he has no future with DK," and "it was always just suggestion box where Sakurai could choose whoever and his vocal minority of fans were delusional to think he was doing well," among others. Thanks to our frequent coverage of all those bases, we're equipped to not get walked all over by fans who will parrot those points as objective fact.

Regardless of Smash, K. Rool's future as a character is shining ever brighter, and no way should we let a horde of militant loudmouths drag us down in Ridley's footsteps.
I see your point. It's more of a hypothetical exercise to give us something to fall back on in case the worst should happen.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace

Honestly, its probably better that K Rool wasn't in the original roster. Because of the ballot Nintendo sees the love for him, and it appears that he will be getting revived in the DK series. Which wouldn't have ever happened if he was already in the game !

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I gotta agree with the group that find the hypothetical doomsday scenarios somewhat annoying. While it might prepare us for the "worst", some people run with it like it were a real possibility. Possibility =/= plausibility.

In other news, I Stumbled on some sort of Sakurai complaint page made by some very meticulous japanese fans...

Can't read japanese, but google translate provides some interesting tidbits. Most relevant to us, the DK series complaint section notably has King K. Rool's absence as the first complaint (K. Rool: クルール; King K. Rool: キングクルール).

K. Rool actually has his very own page.
They appear particularly bothered by the "brother" mistake in K. Rool's Brawl trophy.

Looks like we're not the only ones to notice this, either:

Some complaints on the page seem (seem since I'm using google translate) a little bit exaggerated, though.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I gotta agree with the group that find the hypothetical doomsday scenarios somewhat annoying. While it might prepare us for the "worst", some people run with it like it were a real possibility. Possibility =/= plausibility.

In other news, I Stumbled on some sort of Sakurai complaint page made by some very meticulous japanese fans...

Can't read japanese, but google translate provides some interesting tidbits. Most relevant to us, the DK series complaint section notably has King K. Rool's absence as the first complaint (K. Rool: クルール; King K. Rool: キングクルール).

They appear particularly bothered by the "brother" mistake in K. Rool's Brawl trophy.
Maybe that a certain Luma with a wahstache can help to understand? @ PushDustIn PushDustIn (if you don't mind of course:))

Pakky

Smash Hero
I was not planning on blocking you because I am interested in the stuff you have to say as much as anyone else on this thread. I do understand where you're coming from on a lot of the cases but to be frank it's not nice to see even when I share largely similar tastes in characters to you. I haven't yet had the misfortune of you being vocal about characters I care about but there will be people who care about the characters you hate as well as K Rool who would like to use this thread. It's not about censorship either. There is a way to voice your opinion without it coming across as inflammatory as it can do, and there is a very distinct difference between raising your points in a discussion and spontaneously bursting into vitriol about other characters. Surely extolling the perceived virtues of your choices rather than attacking the perceived flaws of other peoples' (with no prompting, I might add) is the adult thing to do?
Fair enough.

- I agree on Ganon; but his portrayal is an unfortunate circumstance. He was made that way in Melee to try bring him in because he was so popular in polls and has remained that way due to Sakurai not wanting to displease fans of his moveset (which there are). None of this points to disliking villains though; and I remember (though cannot source) a quote saying Sakurai quite enjoyed Ganondorf.

- Unfortunately Wolf is gone. However I think you'll find the reason is probably being cut due to time constraints as much as anything else. He's not completely gone yet either; wait and see if his ballot support is ignored first.

- Regarding K Rool: Not even Bowser was in Smash 64 so you cannot expect K Rool there. Melee happened during the Rare buyout so not even Diddy was used there. Diddy was then added in Brawl who was arguably a more important request to meet during Brawl. The Smash 4 absence is the most difficult to explain and in my opinion probably due to the fact he hasn't appeared in quite a while but he's not out of the running yet and has a costume if nothing else, which in my opinion was pre-ballot.

- I don't like Wario's moveset change either but this is a very minor thing I can't see fairly implying Sakurai hates villains.

- Porky is from a dead franchise. How many people who buy Smash genuinely know who even Ness is?

- Ridley has been done to death. In Sakurai's defense I believe that the guy does actually go out of his way to try include Ridley in some capacity because he knows how much fans want him, even if all he gets back from it is anger that Ridley isn't playable.

- F-Zero is dead and wasn't that popular when it was still going. Sakurai noted this fact during Falcon's reveal and it's been stated that characters from a series with no future are lower priority.
-Not touching 64 because Smash wasn't really established as a thing back then however, King Rool was absent from Melee, Brawl, and this game's main roster. In that time DK has thrived, died and rose again. I don't see why he has never made an appearance despite being a big as Bowser or Ganon.

-That was the only thing that connected Wario to the Wario Land games, take that away you denounce all of that.

-So is Lucas yet he was is Brawl and came back in this game due to fan demand. A franchise being dead has nothing to do with anything.

-I don't believe him on Ridley.

-On F-Zero all I can say is, alright.

Regardless of whether you think they add, they certainly don't detract. Excluding those three wouldn't have got any additional characters. You still have the same number of unique characters to play as. Wanting them removed full stop is selfish, no two ways about it. If you want them changed that's a different matter but losing them gets you literally nothing in return.
I wouldn't have a problem if the characters were different and or better than the originals the problem is Dr. Mario is bad, Lucina is similar, Dark Pit is horrible and I love how Medusa got passed up for him. Also in Dark Pit's case as well as all the others if you're not going to represent them properly don't do it at all. So in short the doctrine he adopted and applied to Ridley should be used for other characters. The clones look like fluff, fluff is bad.

I actually do believe him. The proportions of Ridley and Charizard are very different for starters. And the proportions are always the stuff that has been important. As for the other characters you've mentioned, they've all got fine proportions and in a lot of cases have space for a lot of creative liberties. You've already mentioned disliking Ganondorf; do you want Ridley to end up that way?
See if this were 2010 I would have believed him too, but after receiving a BFA in 3D modeling, I don't. Ridley and Charizard aren't that different the only difference is that Charizard is fat and Ridley is anorexic. Take away the belly and some inches off the neck by bending it, and you're there.

At the end of the day, the thread is the King K. Rool thread, not "classic villains united against popular recent series". It's about supporting King K. Rool for Sm4sh, not hating on the rest. Why can't we discuss him? What sorts of inspiration would you like on his moveset? Are there any specific design choices you'd like to avoid? There are plenty of things to discuss that I haven't seen your perspective on and which I'd miss by simply hitting the block button.
Again fair enough. I love Kaptain K Rool, The blunderbuss, I feel is very important. Also personally the look of the costume is how King K Rool should look, however I personally feel that nostrils should be added because that just makes logical sense. I also feel that all, yes all of his costumes should be available.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Some complaints on the page seem (seem since I'm using google translate) a little bit exaggerated, though.
What other characters are there?

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
"captain Couleur brother of King Couleur are referred to as. But, Honke Donkey such depiction is absolutely not the Kong series, as in the previous Couleur is are basically the same person." Google translate I love you

In all seriousness, it is nice to see firsthand Japanese support for K. Rool and dissatisfaction with his current treatment.

D

Deleted member

That makes me think.....

K. Rool really does need a brother.
K. Rooler.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Maybe that a certain Luma with a wahstache can help to understand? @ PushDustIn PushDustIn (if you don't mind of course:))
This is actually information from the "Anti-Sakurai" thread on 2ch. I get a lot of interviews/ source material from them because they always properly source things. They are also really salty about everything. I remember a week ago they mentioned how Sakurai said there were 3 generations of Donkey Kong, when there are actually only 2 (Cranky and the current DK). It'd be fun to translate what they say, but as of right now I think translating the original source materials they use is priority. Two of the translators on SG are working on translating more stuff related to Melee right now actually.

The Melee trophy has a misspelling for his name.

For Brawl trophy their main complaint is saying that K. Rool has a brother instead of being the same person (which is canon).

Basically, 'Sakurai why are these errors in the trophies??'

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I remember a week ago they mentioned how Sakurai said there were 3 generations of Donkey Kong, when there are actually only 2 (Cranky and the current DK).
But isn't Sakurai right on that? Cranky > DK Jr. > current DK. The manual for DKC mentions that the current DK is the original's (Cranky's) grandson, and there's an old, I think, Nintendo of Japan site relating to the Donkey Kong Country games, that supposedly mentioned how it was Cranky who passed his own name to his grandson.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Brother, huh? Say, wasn't K. Lumsy from DK 64 supposed to be some kind of brother to K. Rool?
*Research*

Apparently, K. Lumsy was said to be K. Rool's younger brother in the Japanese release of DK64.

The more you know.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
But isn't Sakurai right on that? Cranky > DK Jr. > current DK. The manual for DKC mentions that the current DK is the original's (Cranky's) grandson, and there's an old, I think, Nintendo of Japan site relating to the Donkey Kong Country games, that supposedly mentioned how it was Cranky who passed his own name to his grandson.
Wouldn't surprise me if that's true. I haven't heard that before, but then again I haven't spent years studying Kong Canon (Sorry, was just looking at the Palutena Guidance for Ganondorf). Nintendo and canon don't really mix well together. Even for Ganondorf, Sakurai says there are multiple Ganon's just like there are multiple Links and Zeldas. I believe that is wrong and there is only one Ganon, just across multiple timelines. @vaanrose would be the best person to ask for actual Ganon Canon.

*Research*

Apparently, K. Lumsy was said to be K. Rool's younger brother in the Japanese release of DK64.

The more you know.
I really want to do a comparison of DK 64 in English/ Japanese. It's interesting because the original language is English, so there are some differences that exist in the Japanese version. Like K. Rool apparently says "Do you have any last requests before you die" (In Japanese) in DK64 which is really awesome.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's nice to know Japanese fans are upset with the "Kaptain = brother" description too, since somehow (probably an attempt to justify the comment), it became commonly accepted as fact that "the Japanese all think the K. Rool personas are different people."

That's probably the greatest value in SourceGaming...its tearing down of old accepted falsehoods like that and, say, "Sakurai said that Wario deserves better."

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

I lol'd at the complaint that said Villager looks like a psychopath (I kid you not lol)

I like how they want K.Rool to return in a DK game with his blunderbuss as well

If you're a K.Rool fan, you transcend culture and language barriers

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wouldn't surprise me if that's true. I haven't heard that before, but then again I haven't spent years studying Kong Canon (Sorry, was just looking at the Palutena Guidance for Ganondorf). Nintendo and canon don't really mix well together. Even for Ganondorf, Sakurai says there are multiple Ganon's just like there are multiple Links and Zeldas. I believe that is wrong and there is only one Ganon, just across multiple timelines. @vaanrose would be the best person to ask for actual Ganon Canon.
That I can speak to. Ganondorf is the same across all canons - the one from Ocarina is the original, he's just locked away at the end of the game, and comes back in the others because of the power of the Triforce. Link and Zelda do get reincarnated, but Ganondorf does not. Naturally, Palutena's got it wrong. But then again, she never struck me as a goddess of wisdom, and now her DLC fighter dialogue, especially in regards to Lucas, makes her and Pit look like raging idiots.

Which fits my headcanon just fine.

In regards to our other perennial discussions, we've seen that it can be done with a mod. Therefore, it doesn't fit Sakurai's vision, and that's why it hasn't been done yet. And I disagree with him completely on that front. But I guess the RTC thread will be making all of those arguments tomorrow.

I just want to see SOMETHING. These leaks are driving everyone nuts, and the fact that K.Rool is struggling is not cool, especially since Sakurai torpedoed pretty much every other character I wanted, and then he and half the internet has to laugh and 'drink my tears.' Speculation for this game was fun for a bit, but it's really turned into a continuing cycle of disappointments, and I don't know how much more I can take before I move on to the next game.

And I wonder how many people have now that there's no news. That means Nintendo won't get as many DLC sales, so they'll close up shop earlier. It's bad for everyone to not give us news.

That I can speak to. Ganondorf is the same across all canons - the one from Ocarina is the original, he's just locked away at the end of the game, and comes back in the others because of the power of the Triforce. Link and Zelda do get reincarnated, but Ganondorf does not. Naturally, Palutena's got it wrong. But then again, she never struck me as a goddess of wisdom, and now her DLC fighter dialogue, especially in regards to Lucas, makes her and Pit look like raging idiots.

Which fits my headcanon just fine.

In regards to our other perennial discussions, we've seen that it can be done with a mod. Therefore, it doesn't fit Sakurai's vision, and that's why it hasn't been done yet. And I disagree with him completely on that front. But I guess the RTC thread will be making all of those arguments tomorrow.

I just want to see SOMETHING. These leaks are driving everyone nuts, and the fact that K.Rool is struggling is not cool, especially since Sakurai torpedoed pretty much every other character I wanted, and then he and half the internet has to laugh and 'drink my tears.' Speculation for this game was fun for a bit, but it's really turned into a continuing cycle of disappointments, and I don't know how much more I can take before I move on to the next game.

And I wonder how many people have now that there's no news. That means Nintendo won't get as many DLC sales, so they'll close up shop earlier. It's bad for everyone to not give us news.
If it took you until no to realize Pit isn't very bright you surely haven't played Uprising ;) Dude is straight up illiterate. (At least in the english version. no idea about japanese)
As for Palutena she is more absurd than dumb. . . she is based on the goddess of wisdom though.

Patience my friend. Good things come to those who wait. Especially when the giver just lost it's leader.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
~just a random observation~
I know that may have been brought already, but can I point out that the Kritters in Smash Run are abnormally huge? Even for DK's giant size in Smash.. My God!... seriously; I was doing a comparison of size between the PAON Kritters and K. Rool from Super Sluggers, and judging from what the Kritters look in Smash Run, K. Rool could be an enormous colossus in the game; lol. (I mean, I'm sure that won't be the case anyway, but seems to have some inconsistency here; .. they could put another type of Kremling if they wanted to make them that big);

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
~just a random observation~
I know that may have been brought already, but can I point out that the Kritters in Smash Run are abnormally huge? Even for DK's giant size in Smash.. My God!... seriously; I was doing a comparison of size between the PAON Kritters and K. Rool from Super Sluggers, and judging from what the Kritters look in Smash Run, K. Rool could be an enormous colossus in the game; lol. (I mean, I'm sure that won't be the case anyway, but seems to have some inconsistency here; .. they could put another type of Kremling if they wanted to make them that big);
i think that could make him unique, Make him the biggest playable fighter in the smash series. but not to big

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
*Research*

The more you know.
Inb4 he has another brother called K. Iller. Though Nintendo would probably avoid that since it's too edgy for the kiddies to handle.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
i think that could make him unique, Make him the biggest playable fighter in the smash series. but not to big
The current one at least, because if Ridley gets in (which I hope he does), I can't imagine him smaller than K.Rool.

Megaman Megafan

Smash Rookie
I've been off SmashBoards for way too long, so update me are you guys still 100% sure that K Rool is the most likely DLC character because I'm starting to get worried.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Inb4 he has another brother called K. Iller. Though Nintendo would probably avoid that since it's too edgy for the kiddies to handle.
If they can handle K. Rool's scary stare at Armydillo and him feeding one of his henchmen to a giant Klaptrap in DK64 then I'm sure he would be no problem either. Plus those mine cart rides in that game as well, remember the one in Creepy Castle?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've been off SmashBoards for way too long, so update me are you guys still 100% sure that K Rool is the most likely DLC character because I'm starting to get worried.
Most people here never were 100% sure; it was mostly other fanbases saying that. And I also object to "the" because there's going to be at least two.

I'm 80% convinced that K. Rool will be the next character revealed, though, personally. I'll never say 100%.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If they can handle K. Rool's scary stare at Armydillo and him feeding one of his henchmen to a giant Klaptrap in DK64 then I'm sure he would be no problem either. Plus those mine cart rides in that game as well, remember the one in Creepy Castle?
Yes, no one would ever forget about the Creepy Castle and its many maniacal laughter tracks in the song.

Anyone remembered an equally scary mine cart ride with a certain skeletal Kremling?

Sweet dreams as Rare would say back in the day.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I've been imagining what a Nintendo Theme Park would be like, and the more I think about it, DK would have to be one of the larger lands in the park. There's too many great ideas to limit it to a small area. You have the obvious Mine Cart coaster, but then you have ideas like a Rapids water ride with multiple paths taking you through different areas of the DK universe like a Zinger nest, the brambles, and the mines, and at the very end K. Rool has built a wall in the way of the exit so you have to go down the giant waterfall. Maybe you could have a Kids play area in the treetops with vines and other things to climb around in. There should be a Rocket Barrel coaster where the giant Bat is chasing you while your ride cart is going crazy, it could even be in the same mountain as the Mine Cart and occasionally you can see the other ride go by. And for the people who really like thrills, you could have a DK themed Sky Coaster, and all of this is in a wonderfully themed jungle with tons of realistic rockwork and streams.

I really hope that Nintendo Land in Universal Orlando makes a ton of money, because this is stuff that needs to happen.

Top Bottom