• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
What you think, guys? I guess I still know how to sprite (it's been a while since I did my last sheet);

D

Deleted member

when it gets played up as shock value for the sake of shock value (WFT), it's just frustrating to me personally.
You still think WFT was added for nothing but shock value? You've got to be bloody kidding me.

Then why even bother saying this?

I'm not here to argue for several pages. All I came here to do was clear up somebody's confusion.
You chose to continue the argument despite what I had said (don't try to feed me bull about how you were only trying to "clear up somebody's confusion", and if you're going to insult me like that, insult me directly instead of trying to mask it and be indirect), so I continued to avoid being rude and simply ignoring what you had to say.
As in avoid what you just did to me right now.

So now you can just piss off.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Looks fantastic! Maybe he should be just a bit fatter into the background so he appears closer in size to Bowser, but the overall design looks just superb.

You still think WFT was added for nothing but shock value? You've got to be bloody kidding me.

You chose to continue the argument despite what I had said (don't try to feed me bull about how you were only trying to "clear up somebody's confusion", and if you're going to insult me like that, insult me directly instead of trying to mask it and be indirect), so I continued to avoid being rude and simply ignoring what you had to say.
As in avoid what you just did to me right now.
"Find me where I said she was added for nothing but shock value. Go on, do it."

Her addition absolutely was played up for shock value. Sakurai literally walked onstage after her trailer at E3 and asked the crowd "Was anybody expecting that?" He proudly asserted in the Developer Direct that "I get requests from all over the world, but I guarantee no one expected her." There's nothing outrageous about pointing that out.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
WFT was absolutely added as shock value, I thought this was common knowledge...welp.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
What you think, guys? I guess I still know how to sprite (it's been a while since I did my last sheet);
Definitely love what I see here. I like how K. Rool is slightly shorter than Bowser naturally but with his crown he's the tallest fighter.

Edit: Kinda gives me the feel that K. Rool would compensate being shorter than Bowser by having a very tall crown...which seems fitting, I think K. Rool would get his jimmies rustled over something small like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It would be interesting to see his approach on the series. I think he would try and bring new and old enemies to the game, lkehe did with KI. If he wanted to ''revive'' the series, I could see him taking on a new art style for DK, and maybe add some new gameplay elements while keeping it similar enough to the other DKC games. Sakurai would also probably put a lot of small details into the game, like he does with his other games.
And every character has an annoying voice. We also get a DK anime to advertise the new game, along with Fanservice Kong and Edgy Clone Kong as DLC in Smash 4 (don't worry, I'm jokin'. Nothing against KI or its characters being in Smash:) ) :p

1. I think the balance would be best at around 3/4 of the roster being icons, while 1/4 of the roster at max can be unknown characters.
2. Yes, in my opinion they can add the ''surprise'' element of both Smash Bros and speculating about which characters are gonna be playable.
3. There are a few ATs that may make a good character, but the ones I'd like to see as playable the most are Ashley, Takumaru and Waluigi.
4. Not that I know of. To be honest, the only thing I remember about that show was the songs :p (But after skimming a list of the show's episodes, it looks like there isn't one like that.)
Wait does everyone hate KI voice acting?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Wait does everyone hate KI voice acting?
Oh, not at all. The voice acting is good, the VA's put alot of effort and emotion in their characters voices, but some voices (Pit comes to mind) can get very irritating some times. But, then again, this is just my opinion (and part of a joke :p) , I think I'm probably the only one that gets irritated by their voices sometimes.
To make this on topic: K. Rool has the 2nd best voice in history of anything period, behind Bluster Kong. :p

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Definitely love what I see here. I like how K. Rool is slightly shorter than Bowser naturally but with his crown he's the tallest fighter.

Edit: Kinda gives me the feel that K. Rool would compensate being shorter than Bowser by having a very tall crown...which seems fitting, I think K. Rool would get his jimmies rustled over something small like that.
Is what I kinda expect in Smash4 seeing how Bowser and K. Rool are in Super Sluggers (but, using his Rare design, the crown will make the different stand out more); And Thank you, glad you liked! =)

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Is what I kinda expect in Smash4 seeing how Bowser and K. Rool are in Super Sluggers (but, using his Rare design, the crown will make the different stand out more); And Thank you, glad you liked! =)
Of course! You're one of the best artists who frequent this thread. Your work is always appreciated.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Oh, not at all. The voice acting is good, the VA's put alot of effort and emotion in their characters voices, but some voices (Pit comes to mind) can get very irritating some times. But, then again, this is just my opinion (and part of a joke :p) , I think I'm probably the only one that gets irritated by their voices sometimes.
I also really liked the voice work. I think it helps that a good deal of the cast was VA veterans (Palutena has the same VA as Liara from Mass Effect, Viridi has the same voice as Starfire in Teen Titans, Magnus has the same voice as The Hulk in pretty much every modern show and Video Game the Hulk has appeared in, Chariot Master has the same VA as Falcor from Neverending Story, etc.)

D

Deleted member

"Find me where I said she was added for nothing but shock value. Go on, do it."

Her addition absolutely was played up for shock value. Sakurai literally walked onstage after her trailer at E3 and asked the crowd "Was anybody expecting that?" He proudly asserted in the Developer Direct that "I get requests from all over the world, but I guarantee no one expected her." There's nothing outrageous about pointing that out.
My mistake. It came off as complaining over WFT only being included for the sake of shock value.

Though if may critique your use of Ironic Echo, not only did you do it wrong (the "do it" needs to be italicized), but whereas I didn't say anything remotely close to Ganondorf being Sakurai's "main", you did say something that could easily be misinterpreted as WFT only being worth shock value.

Let's analyze the post, shall we?
I like that we can get one or two unexpected characters here or there (Duck Hunt is an example of this done right), but when it gets played up as shock value for the sake of shock value (WFT), it's just frustrating to me personally.
You state WFT was "played up as shock value for the sake of shock value". If it weren't for this later post of yours explaining what you're referring to, that can easily be seen as "WFT was only for the sake of shock value".

Now, let me criticize the point itself.
-Sakurai literally walked onstage after her trailer at E3 and asked the crowd "Was anybody expecting that?"
He would have done the same for any character.
Bear in mind that when WFT was revealed, no one was anticipating any more Smash news. We already had the initial trailer (and Mega Man's trailer right after) during the Nintendo Direct.
And when the trailer was shown, it started off like if it was a trailer for a new Wii Fit as opposed to Smash.

At that point, you might be saying "But that's proof it was just for shock value!", I will point out that the same argument would apply to Villager.
The initial Smash 4 trailer started off as a hint it was Smash (the flaming Smash Ball), then quickly started off like a trailer for a new Animal Crossing. Then SURPRISE! It really is Smash! DOUBLE SURPRISE! Villager Comes to Town! at the end.

And when you think about it, if say, Rosalina's or Little Mac's trailers (minus any references to WFT or other undisclosed characters at the time) were shown in Wii Fit Trainer's place, they would have had the same effect.
Especially since that whereas it became quick to show WFT's trailer was Smash related for a specific character, people either wouldn't have assumed the trailer was for Smash (Little Mac) or wouldn't have known who the trailer was for when they realized it was for Smash (Rosalina) until later into the cinematic.

-He proudly asserted in the Developer Direct that "I get requests from all over the world, but I guarantee no one expected her."
Yeah....that's not playing up shock value.
What he's basically saying is "This character was not included based on fan request."

WFT was absolutely added as shock value, I thought this was common knowledge...welp.
Common knowledge to the ignorant, maybe.

But those who actually do their research know better.
At least starting in Melee (it's debatable whether or not Smash 64 had one), there has been a single character added to be the token "surprise" character.
In Melee, it was :gawmelee:.
In Brawl, it was :rob:.
In Smash 4, it was :4duckhunt:.

There have been other characters throughout the series that weren't expected, but they weren't thrown in for the sake of being unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who reads WFT as "WTF"? cuz that's how I still feel about her being added in this game over the likes of some other characters who ended up as AT's and stage hazards.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who reads WFT as "WTF"? cuz that's how I still feel about her being added in this game over the likes of some other characters who ended up as AT's and stage hazards.
Wii Fit Trainer is the GOAT how dare you disrespect her smh.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Wii Fit Trainer is the GOAT how dare you disrespect her smh.
Hey I'm not saying her games are bad or that she's not a deserving candidate, I just don't think she should've been considered first over other characters who are more iconic. If anything, I would've put her in Smash5.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I'm in, let me know when you have a specific deadline. Also, any variation of K. Rool you have in mind? I use the original DKC artwork for primary influence, but since you're commissioning, its your pick of the litter.
Before september 15th by the latest because i also would need to edit and mix the video so that would take time. I was thinking more of a combination between the old and newer design from the trophy. Not to cute looking but looks menacing. But yea, probably before september 15th. But no need to rush though. Take your time :) again i would need one of king k rool sad, happy, angry, confused and one where he is facing from the back. Let me know when you have those done. You can send the pictures on here to me or to my email. Sirfishe@gmail.com. We'll be in touch! thanks :)

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
First off, yes you are wrong, on multiple levels. The joke character has been around since Smash 1 with Jigglypuff, and possibly including Ness and Captain Falcon in there too. Also, just because there has been at least one joke/unexpected character every game doesn't mean there can't be more then one, especially considering Nintendo likes to pretend Wii U and 3DS are two different Smash games. Maybe you should have done your research.

Secondly, even if you were right, you're being a total jerk about it. Nobody is going to listen to someone who calls them ignorant.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
"...both Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were not selected solely because they can show off their eccentricity. They each have their own individual fighting styles and strategies, and make the game more fun." - Sakurai

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@GoldenYuiitusin, I know you love to debate and prove that you're right, but it'd be nice for all of us if you cut it out. This doesn't benefit the K. Rool thread in any way, it just makes us come off as petty.

Continue it in PMs if you want, but I think it'd be best if you dropped it in a thread that has nothing to do with what you're talking about. This is getting very silly.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, I'm not against WFT, I'm against the idea that she wasn't chosen for being "out there."

Her games' success earned her a spot, and she definitely brings some worthy elements to the table, but to imply that her WTF factor wasn't a key part of the decision is just dishonest.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Hey I'm not saying her games are bad or that she's not a deserving candidate, I just don't think she should've been considered first over other characters who are more iconic. If anything, I would've put her in Smash5.
1. Her games are bad and I question why I ever bought them
2. She probably didn't deserve to make it in
3. She is a troll character and the GOAT

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
1. Her games are bad and I question why I ever bought them
2. She probably didn't deserve to make it in
3. She is a troll character and the GOAT
Guess you were being sarcastic last reply ok then because yes, I don't really like her games either and just find her obscure, even more so than Villager.
Nightmare Before Christmas?
(let's out a kremling belch), "YURP!"

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I guess I see what people here are saying, they don't mind WFT, but they feel there are many very beloved and iconic characters (K. Rool, Ridley, Dixie Kong, Issac, (Captain) Toad etc.) that haven't been added yet, and should've been before her... which I totally understand.. it's nice to have some relatively new and unexpected characters to go along with the greats..but when most of these major characters are put aside for mainly very recent or "random" characters, thats when i see a problem. Smash 4 did have a lot of that, but we did get some HUGELY wanted characters.. Mega Man, Little Mac, an AC character, Shulk, Bowser Jr... and even with DLC we got three fan favorite cuts back. But yes, we did get the WFTs and the Robins, and the Rosalinas, and the Greninjas, but hey they're all new, unique, fresh..something we've never seen.. even new characters that dont have a "gimmick" such as WFT, Mega Man, Pac Man, Greninja, Duck Hunt, etc. still offer new unique ways to play.. and I think Sakurai looked at that and searched for these very "different" characters to have this uniqueness about them; and prioritized it more than simply "who's getting the most votes in these polls" or "who is being talked about more on these forums." Which isn't a bad thing per say. I'd rather have this then a bunch of fan favorites with boring, bland, lazy, uninspired movesets; but there needs to be a balance.. and i feel that Brawl's roster struck that balance to a tee. Fan favorites and hugely iconic characters like Diddy Kong, Wario, Olimar, Sonic, Meta Knight, Dedede, Wolf, Lucas, Lucario (kinda)..while also including some unexpected contenders such as Toon Link, Pokémon Trainer, R.O.B., Ike, Snake, ZSS. It felt ideal.. Smash 4 was a little off balance. The popular picks felt kinda shafted in comparison with some of these "newer" characters. But hey, maybe they realized this, and this is why theres the Smash Ballot. Now we can directly tell them who we want in the game, and our voices will be heard! We can finally give the beloved iconic characters that didn't quite make it on the vanilla roster their second chance! Now that balance can be struck, and with direct input from us, the fans, the consumers.. So now is our golden opportunity Kutthroats! Keep up the support for King K. until the bitter end and beyond! And this goes for fans of all characters...if you feel "cheated" nows your chance to show Nintendo, the Smash team, and Sakurai what we really want. So as I've said... stay strong, keep calm, and #KrocTheVote

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I guess I see what people here are saying, they don't mind WTF, but they feel there are many very beloved and iconic characters (K. Rool, Ridley, Dixie Kong, Issac, (Captain) Toad etc.) that haven't been added yet, and should've been before her... which I totally understand.. it's nice to have some relatively new and unexpected characters to go along with the greats..but when most of these major characters are put aside for mainly very recent or "random" characters, thats when i see a problem. Smash 4 did have a lot of that, but we did get some HUGELY wanted characters.. Mega Man, Little Mac, an AC character, Shulk, Bowser Jr... and even with DLC we got three fan favorite cuts back. But yes, we did get the WTFs and the Robins, and the Rosalinas, and the Greninjas, but hey they're all new, unique, fresh..something we've never seen.. even new characters that dont have a "gimmick" such as WTF, Mega Man, Pac Man, Greninja, Duck Hunt, etc. still offer new unique ways to play.. and I think Sakurai looked at that and searched for these very "different" characters to have this uniqueness about them; and prioritized it more than simply "who's getting the most votes in these polls" or "who is being talked about more on these forums." Which isn't a bad thing per say. I'd rather have this then a bunch of fan favorites with boring, bland, lazy, uninspired movesets; but there needs to be a balance.. and i feel that Brawl's roster struck that balance to a tee. Fan favorites and hugely iconic characters like Diddy Kong, Wario, Olimar, Sonic, Meta Knight, Dedede, Wolf, Lucas, Lucario (kinda)..while also including some unexpected contenders such as Toon Link, Pokémon Trainer, R.O.B., Ike, Snake, ZSS. It felt ideal.. Smash 4 was a little off balance. The popular picks felt kinda shafted in comparison with some of these "newer" characters. But hey, maybe they realized this, and this is why theres the Smash Ballot. Now we can directly tell them who we want in the game, and our voices will be heard! We can finally give the beloved iconic characters that didn't quite make it on the vanilla roster their second chance! Now that balance can be struck, and with direct input from us, the fans, the consumers.. So now is our golden opportunity Kutthroats! Keep up the support for King K. until the bitter end and beyond! And this goes for fans of all characters...if you feel "cheated" nows your chance to show Nintendo, the Smash team, and Sakurai what we really want. So as I've said... stay strong, keep calm, and #KrocTheVote
I don't know how you can go wrong with giving a bunch of fan favorite characters their unique movesets regardless if they're canon to their games or not (*cough cough* Ganondorf and Wario "What you say Willis?!") still, having 2 or 3 obscure/unwanted characters should be enough balance to me.(though if I had it my way I'd only add the ones who people want and balance the rest of the game with modes and other features.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how you can go wrong with giving a bunch of fan favorite characters their unique movesets regardless if they're canon to their games or not (*cough cough* Ganondorf and Wario "What you say Willis?!") still, having 2 or 3 obscure/unwanted characters should be enough balance to me.(though if I had it my way I'd only add the ones who people want and balance the rest of the game with modes and other features.
Oh i agree 100%. If i were director, I'd focus on what the fans want, and then find ways to incorporate these unique ideas into their movesets. But if i was going to include one or two "out there" characters, I would definitely make sure they were #1. Unique and #2. At least relatively known and liked by some. I wouldn't include a character based on the shock value alone, even if they were unique. But if this balance were to sway one way or another, it should most certainly sway towards that of what the fans want; give us more of what we want, with a few surprises here and there, as opposed to 20 theoretical WFTs and one or two theoretical Mega Men

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought this was the K.ROOL thread, not the "argue about other characters who are not K.Rool" thread.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I thought this was the K.ROOL thread, not the "argue about other characters who are not K.Rool" thread.
With the lack of SSB4 news and the detractors going at us, plus all the fake leaks, what else is there to speak?

Ok, K. Rool for Smash, he who rebels against him then their heads will get bashed, kremling style because it's what drives us wild.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
As long he can do something to follow up a throw. Thats the Smash 4 meta.
I guess K. Rool would only get the people's attention (and nicknames for his moves) if:
1-he is good
2-he has ze dank memes
3-some top player uses him in tournies (I really dont know anyone from the top guys who supports K. Rool. I know Dabuz supports Isaac and thats it).

I'd rather have the number 1. But the number 2 is more likely since he already has the cartoon to back that up.
We're all hoping for #1.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Well heres something I've been wondering. Do you think we'll get a CG trailer for K. Rool (or any winner of the ballot for that matter)? The only thing we really have to go off of is Ryu and he didn't actually have any CG or anything outside of his model in a fighting stance with all of the text splashing on screen (i know it was a reference to something else Street Fighter related but still). And I don't know if they'd go through the trouble of getting a fully CG trailer out there or if they'll have something like Ryu's. I actually think something along the lines of the Duck Hunt trailer would be a good option for King K. if they didn't want to go full CG.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well heres something I've been wondering. Do you think we'll get a CG trailer for K. Rool (or any winner of the ballot for that matter)? The only thing we really have to go off of is Ryu and he didn't actually have any CG or anything outside of his model in a fighting stance with all of the text splashing on screen (i know it was a reference to something else Street Fighter related but still). And I don't know if they'd go through the trouble of getting a fully CG trailer out there or if they'll have something like Ryu's. I actually think something along the lines of the Duck Hunt trailer would be a good option for King K. if they didn't want to go full CG.
Perhaps, the game has been out for close to a year if we use the Japanese 3DS date. Supporting a game so long after release does sort of call for a trailer to bring players back to the game. Destiny is doing that currently with the Taken King. We did not get a CG trailer for the other DLC characters, but I believe it is fair to assert that the circumstances were almost entirely different.

Top Bottom