• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
It's hard for me to get excited about a third Kong who would likely be very derivative of Diddy compared to K. Rool's glorious comeback with all of his personas accounted for, in addition to bringing another heavyweight and villain to the fold.

And this is coming from someone who had Dixie as one of my top five requests for Smash 4.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm totally ok with Dixie not being in the game. Yes, DK is underrepresented in Smash, but I feel Dixie would be hard to make a moveset for. Like, she has her hair that she can hit people with but.... what else? Most of Diddy's moveset comes from DK 64, a game Dixie didn't appear in. DK is a 3 character series, regardless of how much I adore the series. It 's about on par with Kirby. DK himself is one of the most iconic Nintendo characters, due to the original arcade game, but the series that followed isn't super big to the point that we should be discussing 4, or even 5 characters. Having the main character, the main side-kick, and the main antagonist is the perfect amount the series needs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, I'm totally ok with Dixie not being in the game. Yes, DK is underrepresented in Smash, but I feel Dixie would be hard to make a moveset for. Like, she has her hair that she can hit people with but.... what else? Most of Diddy's moveset comes from DK 64, a game Dixie didn't appear in. DK is a 3 character series, regardless of how much I adore the series. It 's about on par with Kirby. DK himself is one of the most iconic Nintendo characters, due to the original arcade game, but the series that followed isn't super big to the point that we should be discussing 4, or even 5 characters. Having the main character, the main side-kick, and the main antagonist is the perfect amount the series needs.
I guess bubblegum and her guitar could be implemented

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for posting that a second time, Smash boards was laggy and I thought it didn't post

I guess bubblegum and her guitar could be implemented
Pretty much exactly my point. Really gotta stretch to think of stuff for her. Those things were idol/Victory animations in her game. They really would be best as taunts or other miscellaneous animations

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind if Dixie is a semi-clone similar to Wolf or Lucas. Dixie can have unique specials with her hair but be similar to Diddy with her normal attacks.

If Sakurai was already working on Dixie ala Lucas and maybe Wolf we could see both her and King K. Rool.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie should definitely be added after K. Rool but the franchise doesn't hinge on her addition as much as K. Rool does.

Also DK is a bigger franchise than I feel you're giving it credit for, especially if Fire Emblem can get four characters. Four is perfect, five would be a bit much.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong is the third or fourth biggest selling Nintendo franchise behind Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and/or Animal Crossing.

Unless you count the Mii's as part of the whole "Wii generation" games.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I want Dixie Kong, but not at the expense of K. Rool. They're both in my top five, but K. Rool is so far ahead of her in terms of my wants.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong is the third or fourth biggest selling Nintendo franchise behind Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and/or Animal Crossing.

Yeah, probably due to the arcade games which were astronomical hits. But outside of those, the overall series isn't massive. As I said I'd put it around the Kirby level

StormC

Smash Hero
Of the "Smash franchises," Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Kirby are the top five.

Yeah, probably due to the arcade games which were astronomical hits. But outside of those, the overall series isn't massive. As I said I'd put it around the Kirby level
DKC1, DK64, and DKCR were all big successes as well.

EDIT: Add DKR to that too actually, it sold MORE than DK64.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

TECHNICALLY we should count the "Wii games," but honestly, that series was a fad and is dead now. So yes, DK is the fourth-biggest series, and if they expand the series again and make more spinoffs, it will remain that way.

DK is MORE than big enough for four characters. The only reason many don't see it that way right now is because the buyout years are still weighing in on us. People say K. Rool hasn't appeared recently... but "recently" consists of a grand total of... TWO games. Compared to the 15 or so K. Rool has already appeared in, 10 of which he was the main antagonist. And he was planned for at LEAST one more game (Diddy Kong Pilot).

1Mario
2Pokemon
3Wii
4Mario Kart
5Wii fit
6Zelda
7DK
Coincidentaly I looked it up recently
Mario Kart is a spinoff of Mario, Wii Fit a spinoff of the Wii series. You count the entire extended series. And again, although technically the "Wii" games shot ahead of Zelda and DK, they're dead now because it was a fad.

DK has 20m more sales than Kirby. All of the DKC, and DK64, have sold more than 3m each, with Returns at 6m and DKC at 9m. (TF is the only exception as its only so far topped 1m, on the weakest Nintendo home console).

I agree its not in the top 3, but it is in the top 5.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
1Mario
2Pokemon
3Wii
4Mario Kart
5Wii fit
6Zelda
7DK
Coincidentaly I looked it up recently
Well if you count all the Mario games as one, and the Wii Sports/Fit stuff together, then I was right.

Donkey Kong is the fourth best selling franchise behind Mario, Pokemon and Zelda....not counting the Wii/Mii generation stuff.

StormC

Smash Hero
Pretty much exactly my point. Really gotta stretch to think of stuff for her. Those things were idol/Victory animations in her game. They really would be best as taunts or other miscellaneous animations
She actually does have a bubblegum gun in Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
So DKC did much better financially than I thought lol. Heck, I'm not saying I DON'T want more characters, I just think we should focus on K. Rool first, and maybe Dixie later. Yes, we COULD get both, but I really don't wanna chance it. The DLC ball game is much more different than the standard game, we've probably only got like 6 slots here, and two of them are taken by Lucas and Mewtwo, and one of them is VERY likely to be Wolf. Dixie probably would just end up in a similar situation to Lucas, with similar specials but different standard moves, which isn't that interesting. I feel Sakurai wants to give us variety, and kinda doubt that he'd put two characters from the same franchise as DLC. But that's just my opinion, you can't predict this man. But if we JUST get Dixie and no K. Rool, I'll be beyond pissed

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not worried that Dixie will somehow usurp K. Rool. Iwata addressed that Lucas was added purely because of fan requests (he was the most requested DLC character in Japan). There is no way people could mistake that K. Rool has MUCH more fan support than not only Dixie, but ANY other newcomer.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm not worried that Dixie will somehow usurp K. Rool. Iwata addressed that Lucas was added purely because of fan requests (he was the most requested DLC character in Japan). There is no way people could mistake that K. Rool has MUCH more fan support than not only Dixie, but ANY other newcomer.
Its possible Dixie was already being worked on like Lucas or Wolf, so it wouldn't affect the poll either way. There were a lot of rumors of a "moving Dixie model" from people who also mentioned Ridley and the Chorus Kids.

Since Dixie isn't an Assist trophy and only has that one trophy in the game, it had to be from something

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So DKC did much better financially than I thought lol. Heck, I'm not saying I DON'T want more characters, I just think we should focus on K. Rool first, and maybe Dixie later. Yes, we COULD get both, but I really don't wanna chance it. The DLC ball game is much more different than the standard game, we've probably only got like 6 slots here, and two of them are taken by Lucas and Mewtwo, and one of them is VERY likely to be Wolf. Dixie probably would just end up in a similar situation to Lucas, with similar specials but different standard moves, which isn't that interesting. I feel Sakurai wants to give us variety, and kinda doubt that he'd put two characters from the same franchise as DLC. But that's just my opinion, you can't predict this man. But if we JUST get Dixie and no K. Rool, I'll be beyond pissed
Oh yeah, totally. I'd much rather get one than not get either. And if it has to be one, K. Rool.

That said DKC is extremely popular.

I will throw one vote Dixie's way later. Maybe if we get 5-6 DLC newcomers (Wolf being one of them of course), we could get both, but I'm still iffy on it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Its possible Dixie was already being worked on like Lucas or Wolf, so it wouldn't affect the poll either way. There were a lot of rumors of a "moving Dixie model" from people who also mentioned Ridley and the Chorus Kids.

Since Dixie isn't an Assist trophy and only has that one trophy in the game, it had to be from something
We still have no idea how full of it that guy was. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I want Dixie Kong, but not at the expense of K. Rool. They're both in my top five, but K. Rool is so far ahead of her in terms of my wants.
The trend among DK fans seems to be that if you want one, you still want the other. I'm more of a Dixie fan, but I would still be very happy to have K Rool. I feel a lot of the people her prefer K. Rool but wouldn't gawk at the inclusion of Dixie.

Hopefully K Rool gets in. He's a character that is so integral to the series but has been forgotten. Might vote for K Rool as he's more of a comeback than Dixie. I think a lot of people would be excited to see him.

Also, posting this again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG8jBpNvRCE

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman

Maybe it was just a concept for a Diddy Alt.? I still wouldn't really put too much faith into that. I think the only character that is being worked on right now that we don't know about is Wolf, who will come out in August or so. Everyone else will come from the results of the poll

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Of the "Smash franchises," Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Kirby are the top five.

DKC1, DK64, and DKCR were all big successes as well.
EDIT: Add DKR to that too actually, it sold MORE than DK64.
All classic DKCountry were a big sucess.
Donkey Kong Country Returns WAS HUGE (You can look, it's +7 million copies)
The only games that don't sell well was Tropical Freeze and the DS Games.
Even Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat were a hit in the GameCube scale.
Jungle Beat team became the developers of SMGalaxy, and many ideas and elements were used in Mario series after this.

So no... DK series is not in the same level with Kirby.
Kirby is nice, sell well, but DK is much bigger in any means.

It's on like Donkey Kong.
It's not a coincidence the Brawl sequence in the rows (Mario, Link, DK, Pikachu) , while I must accept that Pokemon is much bigger than DK. Sakurai maybe think is overated or is represented enough.
We have the chance now to prove him wrong.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think beta stuff in Brawl factors into it a whole lot. Sakurai rebuilt Mewtwo from the ground up instead of reusing beta assets he had in Brawl.

All classic DKCountry were a big sucess.
Donkey Kong Country Returns WAS HUGE (You can look, it's +7 million copies)
The only games that don't sell well was Tropical Freeze and the DS Games.
Even Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat were a hit in the GameCube scale.
Jungle Beat team became the developers of SMGalaxy, and many ideas and elements were used in Mario series after this.
I was underselling it a bit as to not show my hand. :p I think Tropical Freeze actually has done almost as well proportionate to the Wii U than the bongo games did to the GameCube, but I'm not super sure.

Last edited:

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
@ StormC StormC the only proof of mewtwo being planned as playable character in brawl is his name in a script, or somewhat.
Better i would like to see a kong without grace, without style, and a funny face.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Actually, I'm pretty sure Tropical Freeze did BETTER than Jungle Beat, in terms of scale.

Tropical Freeze recently passed a million sales, Wii U has 9.2 million sales.
Jungle Beat was slightly over a million sales (according to VGChartz... yeah, yeah, I know), GameCube sold 21 million units.

Man, I always forget how badly the GameCube did.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
DKC Tropical Freeze is such a fantastic game.
I know I'm being biased in one or other things because DK is my favorite series but...

DK is bigger than Kirby and Fire Emblem (Only Awaken awakened the franchise.).
Animal Crossing is a giant now too(considering the fame, the age of the franchise, and the sales).
I think we will receive a DK newcomer, Isaac and maybe a third party.

If AC fan base try hard, they maybe would win a character too.
The problem is that the best 2 options for Animal Crossing are in the game in some way (Isabelle and Tom Nook).
(I'm sorry I forgot the dat Waluigi lesson).

Gumples

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gumples
So apparently over on a certain website (begins with '4') are doing a vote for their most requested character. K Rool is currently in the semi finals at the minute. I would link it, but hey it's not a place you want to go to really, but it's interesting in any case.

Think he is going against Paper Mario, shouldn't be a problem for the King.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So apparently over on a certain website (begins with '4') are doing a vote for their most requested character. K Rool is currently in the semi finals at the minute. I would link it, but hey it's not a place you want to go to really, but it's interesting in any case.

Think he is going against Paper Mario, shouldn't be a problem for the King.
Probably Banjo and you can link the strawpoll instead

StormC

Smash Hero
At this point, I'm not sure I need any more polling to be convinced that K. Rool is going to grace the cover of the next issue of Time Magazine. I think the overwhelming amount of K. Rool support comes from not just being a deserving, popular character from a high-level series, but people, even those who don't play Donkey Kong, wanting all of the following:

-Heavyweights
-Villains
-Non-humanoids
-Creative movesets

Sakurai is gonna have to go out of his way to ignore the King at this point.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I know I'm being biased in one or other things because DK is my favorite series but...

Animal Crossing is a giant now too(considering the fame, the age of the franchise, and the sales).

The problem is that the best 2 options for Animal Crossing are in the game in some way (Isabelle and Tom Nook).
Yeah, Tropical Freeze felt like an actual DKC game, whereas Returns had the feel but not the soul.

It must be the David Wise effect (and the fantastic design choices. I honestly loved everything about TF except the lack of K. Rool, even if I still enjoyed the Snowmads. Freddy was just a K. Rool fanboy.

I also always find it funny when people say TF wasn't a sales success, because if it's passed a million it's already a success, and it's an even bigger success if the system it's on is not doing great, because relative.

Tropical Freeze is awesome, and was a sales success but is still massively underrated. Anyone who owns a Wii U should have it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What I see Sakurai doing
"I'd love to add King K.Rool in the game, but if only he was popular enough..."
At this point, I'm not sure I need any more polling to be convinced that K. Rool is going to grace the cover of the next issue of Time Magazine. I think the overwhelming amount of K. Rool support comes from not just being a deserving, popular character from a high-level series, but people, even those who don't play Donkey Kong, wanting all of the following:

-Heavyweights
-Villains
-Non-humanoids
-Creative movesets

Sakurai is gonna have to go out of his way to ignore the King at this point.

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
Paper Mario is my most wanted, but I will gladly fight for the king. Excellent pick. Limitless moves sets. ENDLESS STYLE. His kit could be the first of its kind. A super heavyweight that can do well with projectiles and hit hard on the ground.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

I'm sorry but saying DKC is bigger then Kirby is wrong, in terms of popularity I'm pretty sure Kirby comes after Mario/Zelda/Pokemon. And there was a reason he was shown alongside Mario, Link and Pikachu in the first Brawl trailer.

And thing is after Rare was bought out by Microsoft, the Donkey Kong series seemed to go from genre to genre to find its footing, where as between that time Fire Emblem got revived and Kirby moved as normal.

Yeah Donkey Kong Country is probably more popular then Fire Emblem, but Kirby, I highly doubt it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm sorry but saying DKC is bigger then Kirby is wrong, in terms of popularity I'm pretty sure Kirby comes after Mario/Zelda/Pokemon. And there was a reason he was shown alongside Mario, Link and Pikachu in the first Brawl trailer.

And thing is after Rare was bought out by Microsoft, the Donkey Kong series seemed to go from genre to genre to find its footing, where as between that time Fire Emblem got revived and Kirby moved as normal.

Yeah Donkey Kong Country is probably more popular then Fire Emblem, but Kirby, I highly doubt it.
Huge Kirby fangirl here, but Kirby doesn't sell as well as DK, DK is Nintendo's 7th best selling franchise with Kirby being 8

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Huge Kirby fangirl here, but Kirby doesn't sell as well as DK, DK is Nintendo's 7th best selling franchise with Kirby being 8
I was talking more in terms in popularity and appeal, but I'm not sure you can really determine which is more popular, pretty much everyone who knows Kirby knows Donkey Kong, and vice versa.

StormC

Smash Hero
Maybe in Japan, where Kirby is disproportionately more popular than anything not Mario or Pokemon, but definitely not on an international scale.

I was talking more in terms in popularity and appeal
Which can be measured pretty accurately with game sales, of which DK has more than 20 million more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom