• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I think he meant the actual point of origin on the internet, whether we have another leak, or it was in a screen shot release...

Now if I could just get the Pico support thread reopened

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
It's Wii U version. Next to slideshow is the plus sign. 3DS ain't got no plus button.

StormC

Smash Hero
Sorry to steer the topic of discussion elsewhere, but you all might be interested in this.

On another, much smaller online community I frequent, I set up a Smash DLC poll yesterday, handpicking who I felt were the most plausible characters to be added (or at least the ones this community would be the most interested in), along with an Other option (only 10 poll options were allowed), and let people have 3 votes each. 20+ people voted overall so far, and here are the current results (votes that were under Other are italicized).

K. Rool: 19
Snake: 13
Rayman: 8
Impa: 6
Chorus Boys: 5
Lucas: 5
Dixie Kong: 4
Isaac: 4
Wolf: 3
Custom Robo: 1
Mach Rider: 1
Ridley: 1
Chibi-Robo: 1
Sceptile: 1
Other/Unknown: 1

As you can see, K. Rool has a huge lead, and more than double the votes of the next most popular newcomer (Rayman). People who voted in this poll come from a pretty wide video game background so I feel like there's no strong bias or tendency. I don't believe his popularity in the poll on SmashBoards and this Facebook poll is a fluke by any means.

I voted for K. Rool, Snake, and Wolf.

Last edited:
According to Rare, K. Rool stole the bananas to either make DK starve so he could take over his turf... or he just loves bananas.

Jungle Climber has him stating he hates bananas, interestingly enough.

they should of said that the reason he was at dk island was to steal all the oil from the dk mines,and either sell them for kremkoins or use them for their advanced machinery. and that dk was in the way of the operation,so they kidnapped diddy and stole all of his bannanas to keep dk occupied long enough to steal the oil and board it on the galleon. it would of made more sense. and it would explain why the kremlings built the factory

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Nintendo has responded this to me:

Hello Arturo,

Thanks for writing. I would like to start this email by apologizing for the delay in our reply. We have been unseasonably busy for this time of year.
Having grown up along with my Super NES in the early 90's, I can tell you that I too am a big fan of King K. Rool and can understand your interest in seeing him make another appearance in one of our games. While we have not announced anything at this time, I want to assure you that your comments will be documented and made available to the other departments here at Nintendo to use as they see fit. If anything is announced, you can bet that we will write about it on our website (www.nintendo.com/whatsnew).

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Jeremy Johnston
That's awesome dude. Nice to see it's not the usual business replies they usually return. Might do one soon myself.

And here's an update on the DLC poll.
1. Wolf (225)
2. K. Rool (218)
3. Lucas (186)
4. Ice Climbers (175)
5. Isaac (166)
6. Dixie (144)
7. Snake (143)

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Actually I kinda knew all that, just seemed like a fun little theory to think of that demonstrates how they both have a different stylistic approach to the DKC games Also I just like ackin silly.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'm glad DLC opened the door for K. Rool, but I have to admit that I'm worried about his chances. I'm at least confident that he won't be a boss, which is big already, but that's still a far cry from playable character. He has everything going for him, especially since we're even getting something like a Zinger trophy, but I can't shake this ominous feeling I have. Much as I hate to admit it, if he had recently had another appearance, I'd be feeling much better about it.

Somewhat related, this is now what I listen to whenever I have a drink.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Personally I don't feel there are any safe bets for dlc characters. It's best to just consider the current roster final and hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. That's my attitude for all the characters I still want

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Personally I don't feel there are any safe bets for dlc characters. It's best to just consider the current roster final and hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. That's my attitude for all the characters I still want
I've already learned from the speculation of the last three years that expecting anything is extremely foolish, and a good way to get yourself disappointed.

With that said, I can't stifle this incredibly frustrating hope that keeps springing up. I just want to not care dammit.

StormC

Smash Hero
With Ridley dead and Mewtwo confirmed, I've put all my hopes into K. Rool as the superstar DLC newcomer.

May we all walk into hellfire together if it is not meant to be.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I've already learned from the speculation of the last three years that expecting anything is extremely foolish, and a good way to get yourself disappointed.

With that said, I can't stifle this incredibly frustrating hope that keeps springing up. I just want to not care dammit.
Between smash 4 and destiny, I've become an disillusioned and quite unimpressed megaman as well...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Funny how it's Mega Man who was in a similar boat for a while, left on the shelf to gather dust and dismissed by fans as "retired," "old news," and "irrelevant to Capcom."

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Between smash 4 and destiny, I've become an disillusioned and quite unimpressed megaman as well...
I mean, I can't really complain. Mega Man, Jr/Koopalings, Little Mac, and now Mewtwo. It's probably just my personality, but it feels like the negatives (characters I really hate being in, ones I use being nerfed, some unimpressive stages) cause greater feelings in me.

Funny how it's Mega Man who was in a similar boat for a while, left on the shelf to gather dust and dismissed by fans as "retired," "old news," and "irrelevant to Capcom."
Yeah, I remember all that garbage pre E3 2013. Remembering the end result does give me some more hope.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
That part of the quote is still very, very true.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I know it's a pun, but that spelling error at the end is literally killing my Grammar Nazi insides so much that the kredits are rolling for me right now. :laugh:
Well technically he's not from Nintendo but the president of Retro is supporting the movement. That's probably the best person besides from Miyamoto, Iwata or Sakurai to help support us.
You could say...
...he's the leader of the bunch, you know him well, he's finally back, to kick some tail.
:smirk:

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I know it's a pun, but that spelling error at the end is literally killing my Grammar Nazi insides so much that the kredits are rolling for me right now. :laugh:

You could say...
...he's the leader of the bunch, you know him well, he's finally back, to kick some tail.
:smirk:
Yeah, seriously. The fact that the head of Retro is supporting the movement to bring back K. Rool is making me very hopeful for DKCR3. And Smash. They get asked every time where the Kremlings are, and they're all "no Kremlings right now." and I'm just like when?! Soon...soon..

Don't stop believin'!

Also, hey Europe, what's it like having the DKC trilogy back and the DKL trilogy there for the first time in two decades? I WISH WE COULD HAVE THAT.

One day...one day...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, seriously. The fact that the head of Retro is supporting the movement to bring back K. Rool is making me very hopeful for DKCR3. And Smash. They get asked every time where the Kremlings are, and they're all "no Kremlings right now." and I'm just like when?! Soon...soon..
My theory of the Kremlings comign back for DKC Returns 3 with the Tikis and the Snowmads united, along with a new and improved Kremling army, lead by K. Rool.

The konquering hero, like Napoleon, will return, to cause khaos and end the Kong korruption!

And I doubt it will end in just DKC. ;) #Soon

Edit: BTW, I've been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening a lot (got it on that smash sale; it's a fantastic game), and all I could think after this one boss is "man, K. Rool would be a hilarious boss enemy in this game! Throwing crowns, fake dying and then reviving himself on the map, and attacking by slamming you with his belly, it'd be freaking fantastic." :rotfl:

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Here's some ideas I had for K. Rool.

Costumes are his entire alternates, or half costumes, half recolors ala King of Swing.
Normal Kostume
Kaptain
K. Roolenstein
Krusha
Khufu
Baron(from Diddy Kong Pilot)
Original K. Rool(Golden cuirass, yes it is a cuirass, look at the Kremlings from DKC1, that's armor they have on)
Original costume exclusively for Smash

Running animation can be the same as the Gangplank Galleon, footsteps and all.
B: Cannonball/Gas attack, effects randomize
B>: Crown Toss or the Blunderbuss Shooting him forward, or back if held long enough, or the boxing glove throw.
B-Down: Unleashes electric snares ala DKC 3
B-Up: Does a very high jump, similar to Dedede, but with more range, or Baron's helicopter pak.
Taunts: Playing dead and staying in that pose until you move the control stick, rubbing his stomach or looking into the camera after 'throwing' his crown.
Final Smash: Bounces around the stage, with each crash Kannonballs fall down from the sky along with Klingers and Klaptraps.
Victory theme is the failed bonus stage jingle from DKC1.

Size-wise, I'd make him pretty tall, about a finger taller than Ganondorf not including the crown. For voice clips, I'm wondering if they'd go with a mumbled voice like Dedede or give him reptilian sounding noises. I remember BKupa mentioning that Master Hand's card attack could have been the Kredits and I'm inclined to agree, though I doubt it could be implemented properly.

Stage is obviously Gangplank Galleon, complete with an arrangement of this.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
My theory of the Kremlings comign back for DKC Returns 3 with the Tikis and the Snowmads united, along with a new and improved Kremling army, lead by K. Rool.

The konquering hero, like Napoleon, will return, to cause khaos and end the Kong korruption!

And I doubt it will end in just DKC. ;) #Soon

Edit: BTW, I've been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening a lot (got it on that smash sale; it's a fantastic game), and all I could think after this one boss is "man, K. Rool would be a hilarious boss enemy in this game! Throwing crowns, fake dying and then reviving himself on the map, and attacking by slamming you with his belly, it'd be freaking fantastic." :rotfl:
I wonder what Klass K. Rool would be? :p I also heard that the Lucina thread often used One of Us as their recruitment theme! I wonder what kind of supports they'd have... And of course, the max support they'll have is A. Neither K's waifu (if he has one) or Chrom would accept that idea of them together. Oh, I wonder what Nowi and K. Rool's supports would be like... Maybe she'll think that King K. is a manakete like her or something... Sometimes I wish there was more DLC for Awakening... Then we'll have Captain Falcon in FE... Yes, I ramble on quite a bit, and now, back to work, Strider.

Last edited:

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
More K. Rool related stuff from yours truly! Whenever I listen to the final boss theme from DK64, I just... missed something. It just wasn't the same without the crowd cheering in the background, so I edited the crowd SFX into the music to sort of recapture the intensity of that final bout against the King. Hope you guys like it!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
More K. Rool related stuff from yours truly! Whenever I listen to the final boss theme from DK64, I just... missed something. It just wasn't the same without the crowd cheering in the background, so I edited the crowd SFX into the music to sort of recapture the intensity of that final bout against the King. Hope you guys like it!
Very nicely done!
Here's some ideas I had for K. Rool.

Costumes are his entire alternates, or half costumes, half recolors ala King of Swing.
Normal Kostume
Kaptain
K. Roolenstein
Krusha
Khufu
Baron(from Diddy Kong Pilot)
Original K. Rool(Golden cuirass, yes it is a cuirass, look at the Kremlings from DKC1, that's armor they have on)
Original costume exclusively for Smash

Running animation can be the same as the Gangplank Galleon, footsteps and all.
B: Cannonball/Gas attack, effects randomize
B>: Crown Toss or the Blunderbuss Shooting him forward, or back if held long enough, or the boxing glove throw.
B-Down: Unleashes electric snares ala DKC 3
B-Up: Does a very high jump, similar to Dedede, but with more range, or Baron's helicopter pak.
Taunts: Playing dead and staying in that pose until you move the control stick, rubbing his stomach or looking into the camera after 'throwing' his crown.
Final Smash: Bounces around the stage, with each crash Kannonballs fall down from the sky along with Klingers and Klaptraps.
Victory theme is the failed bonus stage jingle from DKC1.

Size-wise, I'd make him pretty tall, about a finger taller than Ganondorf not including the crown. For voice clips, I'm wondering if they'd go with a mumbled voice like Dedede or give him reptilian sounding noises. I remember BKupa mentioning that Master Hand's card attack could have been the Kredits and I'm inclined to agree, though I doubt it could be implemented properly.

Stage is obviously Gangplank Galleon, complete with an arrangement of this.
... Just a question, I never played DKL, so can you tell me what a game pak is, and what those pigs with wings are?

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Also, hey Europe, what's it like having the DKC trilogy back and the DKL trilogy there for the first time in two decades? I WISH WE COULD HAVE THAT.

One day...one day...
Listening to the King's sound when you jump on him in the Gamepad is just heavenly. Already beaten DKC and DKC2, now onwards to DKC3!

Don't lose faith, american Kutthroats, the great trilogy shall be there eventually too!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I've always kinda wanted K. Rool to have an original Final Smash, like, the most popular moveset incorporates one move from each of the Rare tetralogy into his specials (blunderbuss, crown, copterback, shockwave), so the Final Smash also borrowing from another game would make it imbalanced. However, I'm not sure what it would be. I feel like a variation of Dedede's Brawl Final Smash, where he summons Kremlings would be perfect, but not only would that now be a ripoff of that (even if Dedede's Final Smash is now different), it's unlikely that it would happen thanks to 3DS limitations.

Very nicely done!

... Just a question, I never played DKL, so can you tell me what a game pak is, and what those pigs with wings are?
Game pak is just a very 90s term for a cartridge. :p

And those are Hogwash, a drone in Donkey Kong Land.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, Mega Man (at least when it comes to games) is all but dead at this point after Smash, especially since Capcom won't greenlight a sequel unless a game has sold over two million copies. Not that it stopped him from getting into Smash, but the part about being "retired", "old news" (in the sense that kids under thirteen likely won't know him or haven't played his game), and "irrelevant to Capcom" are all true.

If anything, King K. Rool is in a better situation than Mega Man considering that he could realistically come back within this decade.

Last edited by a moderator:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I've always kinda wanted K. Rool to have an original Final Smash, like, the most popular moveset incorporates one move from each of the Rare tetralogy into his specials (blunderbuss, crown, copterback, shockwave), so the Final Smash also borrowing from another game would make it imbalanced. However, I'm not sure what it would be. I feel like a variation of Dedede's Brawl Final Smash, where he summons Kremlings would be perfect, but not only would that now be a ripoff of that (even if Dedede's Final Smash is now different), it's unlikely that it would happen thanks to 3DS limitations.
What if they took it from King of Swing, the smash ball gives him a crystal banana, he grows to 50-75 times his normal size, and rains down fireballs(that you can aim)

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
That's awesome dude. Nice to see it's not the usual business replies they usually return. Might do one soon myself.

And here's an update on the DLC poll.
1. Wolf (225)
2. K. Rool (218)
3. Lucas (186)
4. Ice Climbers (175)
5. Isaac (166)
6. Dixie (144)
7. Snake (143)
While on that topic of voting polls, did everyone here also vote K. Rool for the Project M Clone engine slot also? I'd love to play competitively in Project M as K. Rool. Right now the only character that would be close enough to take that chance away from him is Dark Samus.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Part of the Smash for Wii U game description on Amazon includes the following:

Battle with a huge roster of Nintendo’s greatest heroes, villains, and more

I ought to file a complaint that the underlined portion is false advertising, heh.

Top Bottom