• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Saw this in the custom icon thread.

Christ, I wish this could be real.
Aaaand now "Krocodile Kapocophony" is playing in my head and will remain there for the rest of the day.

Well played, good sir, well played.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Can I just say you guys are probably the most dedicated fanbase I ever seen? And while I am not exactly a supporter of him due the only game I played with him in it is Super Sluggers, I'm rooting for you guys all the way.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Aaaand now "Krocodile Kapocophony" is playing in my head and will remain there for the rest of the day.

Well played, good sir, well played.
Yeah, I should go listen to it again. I love Krocodile Kacophany. :D

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Part of the Smash for Wii U game description on Amazon includes the following:

Battle with a huge roster of Nintendo’s greatest heroes, villains, and more

I ought to file a complaint that the underlined portion is false advertising, heh.
You know what's sad is outside of Bowser Jr. (the son of Nintendo's most well-known villain), Robin is the only character that can be remotely villainous of the newcomers.

Before anyone says "but Dark Pit", no, Dark Spit doesn't count for anything ever, other than a cool theme song, which loads of characters have better.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
...Dark Pit's not actually a villain in Uprising, like at all. He's not really a hero, but he's definitely not a villain, haha.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Anybody else have a feeling that part of the reason that Mewtwo isn't coming till the spring might be because he isn't coming alone? I mean, if you're going to take the time to add and balance another character, why not do 2 or 3(or maybe even 4)? it may or may not be K.Rool, but its still a thought
I like that idea. While I feel like bundling Mewtwo with an additional stage (if Mewtwo is not just released by itself) is probably the most likely scenario at this point, I definitely would be glad to be wrong about that and have K. Rool as an added bonus. I guess I'm just trying to temper my DLC expectations a little to avoid being disappointed since we know so little about possible Smash 4 DLC outside of Mewtwo.

As long as we're thinking about what stuff to bundle with the Mewtwo DLC, can we at least get that Chunky AT? It seems like DK is one series with a ton of assist trophy potential and I feel like adding one or two to the game would not be too difficult, especially if they were exclusive to the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Speaking of that, DK still has no AT, right?

God ****ing damn it, Sakurai. We got Magnus AND Phosphora. And Metroid, while deserving, has three. Not even an Animal Buddy? Goddamn it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I wonder what Klass K. Rool would be? :p I also heard that the Lucina thread often used One of Us as their recruitment theme! I wonder what kind of supports they'd have... And of course, the max support they'll have is A. Neither K's waifu (if he has one) or Chrom would accept that idea of them together. Oh, I wonder what Nowi and K. Rool's supports would be like... Maybe she'll think that King K. is a manakete like her or something... Sometimes I wish there was more DLC for Awakening... Then we'll have Captain Falcon in FE... Yes, I ramble on quite a bit, and now, back to work, Strider.
I highly doubt K. Rool could achieve class S support with Chrom...

...mostly because he doesn't bake pies, he merely hoards them to make others starve. :p

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of AT's, I can see some animal buddies as AT's. Squawks helping up the player from a great fall, hoisting him up back onto the stage, Rambi charging and dealing some good damage, etc.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Speaking of that, DK still has no AT, right?

God ****ing damn it, Sakurai. We got Magnus AND Phosphora. And Metroid, while deserving, has three. Not even an Animal Buddy? Goddamn it.
This I think is what bothers me most. I can tolerate jungle stage after jungle stage, and even though I detest it, the lack of a newcomer. But there is simply no reason for DK to not have an Assist Trophy. It's not like there's a shortage of candidates.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
In all seriousness, we only have :4bowser::4dedede::4wario2::4ganondorf::4bowserjr::mewtwopm:as true villains. If we get K. Rool and :wolf:as DLC, it's increase the villain count to a whopping 8! Just out of curiosity, any other villain ideas in the realm of possibility for DLC?
wario isn't a villain, if he was part of the mario series i would call him an anti hero at most but in warioland he is the hero, if wario is a villain you migth as well count dk as a villain

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've already learned from the speculation of the last three years that expecting anything is extremely foolish, and a good way to get yourself disappointed.
Honestly, at the end of the day, Mewtwo as a DLC opens a lot of doors.

Not just to more DLC characters, but to modders using those codes to add modded in characters (basically what people have done with Brawl [and adding up to 100 different characters now], only quicker and easier and already in the coding).

I think there's gonna be a lot more high quality modded characters in Smash WiiU in say 3 years than there are in Brawl now. Currently the only "high quality" characters (as in you can't really tell they're not in the vanilla game) I can think of in Brawl are Roy and Mewtwo in PM, and maybe like 1 or 2 others (mostly clones of characters in Brawl). That's it.

But for Smash WiiU, the modding will be easier given the experience of Brawl people have as well as the DLC coding and whatnot, and honestly, the demand will be higher. Given that, there's no way, at the very least, K. Rool isn't some high quality fan made character several years down the line. That's a pretty good "worst case scenario" if you ask me.

Such is the (fortunate) case in "the era of the Smash mods".

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Can the Wii U even be fully cracked for modding?
Homebrew is still in the final process of being finished for players. It currently is only really usable for developers.

Give it a year and we'll have a handful of decent mods.
Give it 2 years and we'll have the groundwork of great projects.
Give it 3 years and we'll have a plethora of great mods.
Give it 4 years and we'll have multiple fully fleshed out characters developed and added to the roster.

D

Deleted member

I haven't heard of that before, I'd like to hear a source on that. I tend to think there was a copyright issue with Rare's logo being the cause for the DKCs to be pulled from the Virtual Console (and then they were reuploaded along with the Lands when it was renewed). Plus, even if they did say that, there's no way Microsoft (or maybe even Nintendo) would allow Diddy Kong Racing to be released on the N64 with Banjo and Conker in it.
https://twitter.com/RareLtd/status/25013528136

There's your source, not that I ever expect to see Donkey Kong 64 again.

As for the Donkey Kong Country games, somehow I doubt that licensing issues was a factor behind their removal. I would have expected Microsoft to receive part of the money if licensing was such a big deal and knowing Microsoft; it's their way or the high way. I really don't think that we would have ever seen the SNES DKC games receive a VC release if licensing was such a problem.
:facepalm: Ah I remember. I also remember how Microsoft completely ruined the gaming industry by purchasing Rare. So I guess DK64 will fall into obscurity for those who didn't grow up with it or just never played it. Why can't Microsoft let Nintendo re-release ONE Rare N64 game that actually is completely owned by Nintendo?! I can't wait to see the day Microsoft finally drops out of the gaming industry...one day, it will happen and I will be the happiest man on earth.
I hope the day that Microsoft leave the game industry comes to reality. I will never forgive Microsoft for the atrocity that was their E3 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
https://twitter.com/RareLtd/status/25013528136

There's your source, not that I ever expect to see Donkey Kong 64 again.

I will never forgive Microsoft for the atrocity that was their E3 2013.
One day...maybe one day. Right now I'm just hoping to see the DKC games make it across the Atlantic again, and to see the Kremlings return in a modern DKC game. Please!

As for the second point, it's honestly beyond personal for me. I want to see Microsoft's gaming industry suffer so much, and you all know exactly why. Everything they do is not only a constant reminder that they took my favorite childhood company from me, along with my still favorite game series. And even outside of Rare, they consistently **** on the gaming industry with their All-in-One entertainment ****fest, and act like they're kings of the ****ing gaming industry.

Crash and burn, you mother****ers. I'm not sorry.

Gaming is serious goddamn business.

Oh, and then being buddy-buddy with EA doesn't help either. I hate them too.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
DKC&L 1-3 and DK64 not being on the Virtual Console or eShop isn't due to licensing issues, but probably royalty issues.

Such a thing is a common problem when a company splits from a parent company, especially when it joins a rival parent company.

It inherently is not the fault of Nintendo nor Microsoft nor Rareware, so let's not jump the gun and point fingers, especially without any "proof" anyone is to blame at all.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'd love to see DK64 make it onto the VC as I loved that game as a kid, but yeah, it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. It's pretty depressing to me to think that it'll probably remain buried in the past, never to be rereleased again.

Anyway, Microsoft? Even ignoring Rare, I'll never forgive them for that mess surrounding the Xbox One.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
DKC&L 1-3 and DK64 not being on the Virtual Console or eShop isn't due to licensing issues, but probably royalty issues.

Such a thing is a common problem when a company splits from a parent company, especially when it joins a rival parent company.

It inherently is not the fault of Nintendo nor Microsoft nor Rareware, so let's not jump the gun and point fingers, especially without any "proof" anyone is to blame at all.
Thankfully that seems to be a thing of the past with DKC 1-3 and DKL 1-3...Now it seems to be a matter of "When will the US get them?"

I'll always worry however that somehow, Jetpac is the problem with DK64 ending up on the VC for all to enjoy.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Urk... considering that I've always strongly supported the King, I always feel a tad bit embarrassed to admit that I've never played any of the original games in the DKC trilogy, or DK64 for that matter either...

Still, my curiosity of them lead me to watching parts of it and K. Rool always stood out to me as a character and one heck of a boss since then, have always wanted to try playing the original games myself. If I am able to play any of them at some point, does anyone have any recommendations of which one would be good to start with? I'd imagine most would say to play the first game first, as it was, though a few particular parts of II/Diddy Kong's Quset have really made me set my eyes on it...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Urk... considering that I've always strongly supported the King, I always feel a tad bit embarrassed to admit that I've never played any of the original games in the DKC trilogy, or DK64 for that matter either...

Still, my curiosity of them lead me to watching parts of it and K. Rool always stood out to me as a character and one heck of a boss since then, have always wanted to try playing the original games myself. If I am able to play any of them at some point, does anyone have any recommendations of which one would be good to start with? I'd imagine most would say to play the first game first, as it was, though a few particular parts of II/Diddy Kong's Quset have really made me set my eyes on it...
Its probably best to start with one, that way you can still enjoy it. Well, it is enjoyable in its own right, but DKC2 and DKC3 in general are superior to DKC, with DKC2 often considered the best overall. You'll enjoy it that much more by seeing how much of an improvement it was over DKC (which is still an amazing game on its own).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, DKC2 is just such a masterpiece it's astounding.

DKC1 is still amazing, but it's more a teastament to how great DKC2 is than saying DKC is less than great to say DKC2 is better, hah!

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
DKC, being the one that started it all, has a little bit of everything, but doesn't really amaze you in any way like the other two do. Still, it's an excellent game in its own right.
DKC2 has the most impressive graphics and gameplay. It's easy to see why people say it's the best.
DKC3 has the best world map. I remember way back, when I only started up the game to mess around on the map. It was that much fun c:
Like everyone before me said, it's best to start at the beginning so you don't end up expecting too much from the first entry in the series. It's by no means a bad game, it's just... less mindblowing than the other two.

Chase

Smash Ace
Part of the Smash for Wii U game description on Amazon includes the following:

Battle with a huge roster of Nintendo’s greatest heroes, villains, and more

I ought to file a complaint that the underlined portion is false advertising, heh.
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4dedede::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4wario::mewtwopm:.

Yeah not enough. Needs more Ridley, King K. Rool, Samurai Goroh, and Wolf.
In all seriousness, we only have :4bowser::4dedede::4wario2::4ganondorf::4bowserjr::mewtwopm:as true villains. If we get K. Rool and :wolf:as DLC, it's increase the villain count to a whopping 8! Just out of curiosity, any other villain ideas in the realm of possibility for DLC?
Black Shadow (if new F-Zero), Porky Minch (to encourage Earthbound sale on eShop or something), King Boo (new Luigi's Mansion), Vaati (unlikely but could be villain of Zelda U), and Captain Syrup (new Wario Land).

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I remember playing DKC2 on the gameboy advance. Gosh I absolutely loved the music. The music was honestly the reason why I loved DKC, and why while Returns was a good game still, it didn't stick with me like Tropical Freeze did. The track I was most fond of is right here.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4dedede::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4wario::mewtwopm:.

Black Shadow (if new F-Zero), Porky Minch (to encourage Earthbound sale on eShop or something), King Boo (new Luigi's Mansion), Vaati (unlikely but could be villain of Zelda U), and Captain Syrup (new Wario Land).
Honestly, II don't know why everyone jumps on Black Shadow rather than Pico, the first villain in the series who could also be a potentially diverse moveset, and has been in all but one F-zero game... for the former well I guess people like the Anime

But this is the K.Rool thread, let us continue talking about the King!

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24

Let's shave down that list there, legitimate villains would actually be::4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4ganondorf::4wario2:
KD3 and MK have saved the world alongside Kirby much more often then they have put it in danger. They're practically kirby's best friends. Duck Hunt is a jerk but you have to remember that he's the one finding the ducks and grabbing them for you.
Just goes to show the supreme lack of villains. We need someone like K Rool.

Also your list of DLC villains are exactly the guys I want to see in this game!

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Let's shave down that list there, legitimate villains would actually be::4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4ganondorf::4wario2:
KD3 and MK have saved the world alongside Kirby much more often then they have put it in danger. They're practically kirby's best friends. Duck Hunt is a jerk but you have to remember that he's the one finding the ducks and grabbing them for you.
Just goes to show the supreme lack of villains. We need someone like K Rool.

Also your list of DLC villains are exactly the guys I want to see in this game!
Why should Dedede bring Dream Land in trouble? It still is his Kingdom...
And can we please finally stop with this discussion? Here are too many different opinions and it doesn't really have directly to do with K. Rool. In future we should just called it "Villains/Anti-Heroes/Bad-Guys/Jerks" or something like that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One item of note I'll be looking forward to seeing is whether or not K. Rool's theme from Brawl is brought back, or even whether or not we get a new one as well.

Looking at how many other previous tracks are coming back, as well as how prominently K. Rool's theme was featured in Brawl (credits music for both Kongs and background music in the SSE segment before the Dark Bowser fight), I'd be surprised to see it go. I'm doubtful whether we'll get a remix or Crocodile Cacophony, though, in favor of a dozen more Jungle Hijinxs remixes and Returns rips.

StormC

Smash Hero
Don't forget KROOL was one of the random player names you could generate in Brawl.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I remember playing DKC2 on the gameboy advance. Gosh I absolutely loved the music. The music was honestly the reason why I loved DKC, and why while Returns was a good game still, it didn't stick with me like Tropical Freeze did. The track I was most fond of is right here.
Oh my god I just died from nostalgia overload.

One item of note I'll be looking forward to seeing is whether or not K. Rool's theme from Brawl is brought back, or even whether or not we get a new one as well.

Looking at how many other previous tracks are coming back, as well as how prominently K. Rool's theme was featured in Brawl (credits music for both Kongs and background music in the SSE segment before the Dark Bowser fight), I'd be surprised to see it go. I'm doubtful whether we'll get a remix or Crocodile Cacophony, though, in favor of a dozen more Jungle Hijinxs remixes and Returns rips.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is K. Rool's theme again?

I'm still new to this Donkey Kong thing leave me alone

Last edited:

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
Why should Dedede bring Dream Land in trouble? It still is his Kingdom...
And can we please finally stop with this discussion? Here are too many different opinions and it doesn't really have directly to do with K. Rool. In future we should just called it "Villains/Anti-Heroes/Bad-Guys/Jerks" or something like that.
I was just trying to clear up a discrepancy, D3 and MK are heros and I just wanted to clarify that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh my god I just died from nostalgia overload.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Don't forget KROOL was one of the random player names you could generate in Brawl.
so was wart, thats nintendos way of saying theyre exactly the same, just big fuggin reptiles that should die and should stay dead

It's technically not K. Rool's theme in the same way as Dedede's or Wolf's, where it plays almost every time those characters are fought, but it's the background music to his most well-known fight, so naturally, it's most closely associated with him.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
Honestly, II don't know why everyone jumps on Black Shadow rather than Pico, the first villain in the series who could also be a potentially diverse moveset, and has been in all but one F-zero game... for the former well I guess people like the Anime

But this is the K.Rool thread, let us continue talking about the King!
Everyone jumps on Black Shadow because Pico doesn't play as big of a role in the story. Black Shadow is also capable of solving the Falcondorf debacle.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That was my intended reference. Because, somehow, missing one game (at the time) means main villain K. Rool will be meeting the fate of an unremarkable one-off, just because they're both green and fat.
Ugh, I ****ing hate comparisons to Wart. K. Rool should be compared to Ganondorf if anyone. Ganondorf, and even Ganon, were both completely missing between Twilight Princess (2006) and Link Between Worlds (2013), barring re-releases, and even then Ganon had only a minimal presence in Link Between Worlds. Naturally, both are also the main antagonists of the respective franchises.

Last edited:
Top Bottom