• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Part of the Smash for Wii U game description on Amazon includes the following:

Battle with a huge roster of Nintendo’s greatest heroes, villains, and more

I ought to file a complaint that the underlined portion is false advertising, heh.
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4ganondorf::4wario:

Yup, too little villains. And I mean that non-ironically.

wheres my sylux and my ridley and my hades and my kkr sakurai ;o;

Chase

Smash Ace
Part of the Smash for Wii U game description on Amazon includes the following:

Battle with a huge roster of Nintendo’s greatest heroes, villains, and more

I ought to file a complaint that the underlined portion is false advertising, heh.
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4dedede::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4metaknight::4wario::mewtwopm:.

Yeah not enough. Needs more Ridley, King K. Rool, Samurai Goroh, and Wolf.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Take out Mewtwo, Wario, Dedede and Meta Knight. Those aren't villains but more anti-heros. Also, Duck Hunt?
Wario has always been cosidered a villain in Smash and Mewtwo has always been considered an evil Pokemon. Meta Knight is an anti-hero yes, but Dedede either goes full villain or full hero, never inbetween so idk about him.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Take out Mewtwo, Wario, Dedede and Meta Knight. Those aren't villains but more anti-heros. Also, Duck Hunt?
But, Dedede is a villain, he tried to get rid of Kirby so much times. The last few times, when he was playable, or helped Kirby. it wasn't because of Kirby, he helped because Dream Land was in danger, Dream Land his Kingdom. And in the Anime, he summond thousands of monsters to get rid of Kirby. In fact, I think he is either more evil or exactly as evil as Bowser .

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
But, Dedede is a villain, he tried to get rid of Kirby so much times. The last few times, when he was playable, or helped Kirby. it wasn't because of Kirby, he helped because Dream Land was in danger, Dream Land his Kingdom. And in the Anime, he summond thousands of monsters to get rid of Kirby. In fact, I think he is either more evil or exactly as evil as Bowser .
He's also helped Kirby many times...

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
TheLimomon: Dedede isn't a villain. Never mind the first game. Throughout the series he's been more or less an anti-hero at best. Metaknight as well. Revenge of Metaknight was really him taking things too far in getting Dreamland out of its lazy snap, but only one occurrence, like Dedede.

And the anime as far as I'm concerned may as well not exist. Too much damage was done to Dedede and mainly Kirby's character. I loved having characters that weren't in the games talk for Kirby every single time. Loved it. I loved how Kirby was just a mindless baby babbling about. Absolutely loved it. The anime should have been Kirby being a Goku-esque character with the animal friends, the Crystal Shards cast and Metaknight doing stuff while following the games from Dream Land 1 to Crystal Shards.

But this is another can of worms for another thread.

Edit: Mewtwo isn't a villain either. You come for it in the games, it defends itself accordingly. Don't let the anime fool you or dictate the official canon.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
In all seriousness, we only have :4bowser::4dedede::4wario2::4ganondorf::4bowserjr::mewtwopm:as true villains. If we get K. Rool and :wolf:as DLC, it's increase the villain count to a whopping 8! Just out of curiosity, any other villain ideas in the realm of possibility for DLC?

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
So to please everyone, these are the villains:
:4bowser::4ganondorf::4bowserjr:(:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:)
(Maybe these guys too: :4dedede::4wario2::4metaknight::mewtwopm:[And for some reason also:4duckhunt:])

Edit: Wait, what about :4darkpit:? I know nearly nothing about him.

But we should go back to King K. Rool, who is, indeed, a true villain.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Edit: Wait, what about :4darkpit:? I know nearly nothing about him.

But we should go back to King K. Rool, who is, indeed, a true villain.
Dark Pit is the definition of anti-hero. He was created to be a huge threat in the Underworld Army, but Pit was able to destroy the Mirror of Truth (a relic that creates a complete opposite of anything) before it completely made Dark Pit. He wants to destroy Medusa and the Underworld Army, then Pit once that's done (sorry, my inner Kid Icarus nerd couldn't resist). Anyway, back to K. Rool :p

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of polls, I know I mentioned this before, but Rare is running a poll on your favorite Rare created villain at http://www.rare.co.uk/community. It's the beginning of the month, so they are going to post the October web round up soon. If they end the poll, usually the mention the top requests in the roundup, so it might be good publicity for K. Rool!

StormC

Smash Hero
Dedede is an antagonist. No matter what the circumstances are, Kirby fights him more than any other character. Although his status as a villain is questionable, he is definitely one of the biggest Nintendo antagonists.

Meta Knight, Wolf, Dark Pit, and Wario are more like rivals (and even Wario is a stretch, he hasn't been an antagonist since, what, the mid-90s?). Mewtwo is a neutral character who was given a villainous (if sympathetic) portrayal in the anime, and although the Mewtwo in Melee takes cues from the anime and was grouped with Bowser and Ganondorf, his status is a gray area.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I keep seeing people getting excited for the DKC games to be on the virtual console and I'm sitting here like "I already have all 3". What we need is DK64 on the virtual console.

StormC

Smash Hero
DK64 probably won't be released because of licensing issues with Jetpac.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Could you go into a little more detail about the licensing issue? I mean, we got Earthbound on VC despite all the copyright surrounding the music so I doubt it could be worse than that.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Jetpac is owned by Rare, and Jetpac is in DK64's coding, as well as being required to play to beat the game.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
But didn't Rare just bluntly say that Nintendo could do whatever they wanted with the games they made on the SNES and N64 in an interview? They said nothing is stopping Nintendo but themselves, so copyright and licensing doesn't really matter when it comes to re-releases. If it was a DK64 remake, then there would be red flags.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But didn't Rare just bluntly say that Nintendo could do whatever they wanted with the games they made on the SNES and N64 in an interview? They said nothing is stopping Nintendo but themselves, so copyright doesn't really matter when it comes to re-releases. If it was a DK64 remake, then there would be red flags.
If you don't know, Microsoft is a huge cash pit if they see something that belongs to them, or one of their subsidiaries, they'd probably immediately go all A-hole lawyer like and sue whoever was using it. So since Rare owns Jetpac, Nintendo isn't going to take the chance of being sued for it.

Speaking of polls, I know I mentioned this before, but Rare is running a poll on your favorite Rare created villain at http://www.rare.co.uk/community. It's the beginning of the month, so they are going to post the October web round up soon. If they end the poll, usually the mention the top requests in the roundup, so it might be good publicity for K. Rool!
it would be bad if rare sees that k rool is popular and fights nintendo to get him back,and nintendo says"here take him" ......then we can fight k rool on..... kinect boxing or something. that would be horrible

StormC

Smash Hero
But didn't Rare just bluntly say that Nintendo could do whatever they wanted with the games they made on the SNES and N64 in an interview? They said nothing is stopping Nintendo but themselves, so copyright and licensing doesn't really matter when it comes to re-releases. If it was a DK64 remake, then there would be red flags.
I haven't heard of that before, I'd like to hear a source on that. I tend to think there was a copyright issue with Rare's logo being the cause for the DKCs to be pulled from the Virtual Console (and then they were reuploaded along with the Lands when it was renewed). Plus, even if they did say that, there's no way Microsoft (or maybe even Nintendo) would allow Diddy Kong Racing to be released on the N64 with Banjo and Conker in it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I haven't heard of that before, I'd like to hear a source on that. I tend to think there was a copyright issue with Rare's logo being the cause for the DKCs to be pulled from the Virtual Console (and then they were reuploaded along with the Lands when it was renewed). Plus, even if they did say that, there's no way Microsoft (or maybe even Nintendo) would allow Diddy Kong Racing to be released on the N64 with Banjo and Conker in it.
They have stated that Nintendo is the one holding back DK64 from being release, I recall that much, however, as I stated in my post above, it's ultimately Microsoft's fault it hasn't been re-released.

Shog

Smash Ace
Oh NO
The poll has Wizpig, Gruntilda and the newest for me K.Rool

Y u do this to me. Y Rär, Y

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
If you don't know, Microsoft is a huge cash pit if they see something that belongs to them, or one of their subsidiaries, they'd probably immediately go all A-hole lawyer like and sue whoever was using it. So since Rare owns Jetpac, Nintendo isn't going to take the chance of being sued for it.
:facepalm: Ah I remember. I also remember how Microsoft completely ruined the gaming industry by purchasing Rare. So I guess DK64 will fall into obscurity for those who didn't grow up with it or just never played it. Why can't Microsoft let Nintendo re-release ONE Rare N64 game that actually is completely owned by Nintendo?! I can't wait to see the day Microsoft finally drops out of the gaming industry...one day, it will happen and I will be the happiest man on earth.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
:facepalm: Ah I remember. I also remember how Microsoft completely ruined the gaming industry by purchasing Rare. So I guess DK64 will fall into obscurity for those who didn't grow up with it or just never played it. Why can't Microsoft let Nintendo re-release ONE Rare N64 game that actually is completely owned by Nintendo?! I can't wait to see the day Microsoft finally drops out of the gaming industry...one day, it will happen and I will be the happiest man on earth.
Yeah, sadly, I agree with you. No matter how much I love Halo and Gears I can't shake the feeling that Microsoft is the Monopoly that could ruin the VG industry.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
The existence of the "Rareware Coin" as a required pick-up to beat the game, as well as a secret "Rareware Banana" basically destroys all hope of DK64 being ported. They COULD remake it, though, and replace all references to Rare with something else. A second Nintendo coin, maybe. Who knows.

Also disappointed Kaptain.

StormC

Smash Hero
Look on the bright side guys: if Banjo-Kazooie was in SSBM (as they should have been), it'd never see the light of day again.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Even counting all the Koopalings as separate characters, the villain quota is still pretty lackluster.
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4larry::4morton::4wendy::4iggy::4roy::4lemmy::4ludwig::4dedede::4ganondorf:
(These two are debatable)
:4wario2::mewtwopm:

Compared to the heroes:
:4falcon::4diddy::4dk::4falco::4fox::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4ness::4olimar::4alph::4palutena::4pacman::4peach::4pit::4robinm::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss:

And the neutrals:
:4charizard::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4gaw::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucario::4metaknight::4mii::4pikachu::4rob::4villager::4wiifit:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
To be fair, Nintendo doesn't really have a strong rogues gallery of recurring antagonists/villains. When it comes to characters who are in multiple games, there's really just Bowser, Dedede, Ganondorf, and Ridley on a consistent level, and then sometimes there's K. Rool, Bowser Jr./Koopalings, Captain Syrup, Mother Brain, and Andross. And then you have Wolf, Meta Knight and Wario as rivals, and... that's kinda it.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
To be fair, Nintendo doesn't really have a strong rogues gallery of recurring antagonists/villains. When it comes to characters who are in multiple games, there's really just Bowser, Dedede, Ganondorf, and Ridley on a consistent level, and then sometimes there's K. Rool, Bowser Jr./Koopalings, Captain Syrup, Mother Brain, and Andross. And then you have Wolf, Meta Knight and Wario as rivals, and... that's kinda it.
What's funny is Ganon (ya know, the pig) has appeared in many more Zelda games than Ganondorf and he could easily be made into a character. Also, don't forget Hades from Kid Icarus: Uprising! Btw, since when was Captain Syrup considered a villain? I thought she helped Wario.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, I was noting characters who appeared in multiple games, so Hades is out (and I grouped Ganon with G-Dorf).

Captain Syrup was the main antagonist of the first two Wario Lands, then pretended to be helping him in Shake It, only to steal all his treasure at the end.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Bowser, Bowser Jr, the Koopalings, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wolf, Andross, Ridley, Mother Brain, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Captain Syrup, Black Shadow, Medusa, Hades, Metal Face, Zanza, Prince Vorkken, Jergingha, Porky, Giygas, Mr Sandman, Gangrel, Walhart, Validar, Grima, Dr Eggman, Dr Wily, Inky, Pinky, Blinky, Clyde, Revolver Ocelot, Liquid Snake...

Even discounting the third-parties and the antagonists that aren't necessarily evil or villainous, that's a lot of bad guys to draw from. I don't think it's so much that most of them aren't memorable or important, it's just that they haven't done much lately or aren't as popular as some of the heroes that are currently in Smash.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Well, I was noting characters who appeared in multiple games, so Hades is out (and I grouped Ganon with G-Dorf).

Captain Syrup was the main antagonist of the first two Wario Lands, then pretended to be helping him in Shake It, only to steal all his treasure at the end.
I will say, Hades is special because Sakurai created him (and we all know how Sakurai has bias towards his creations), and I have a strong feeling the Kid Icarus franchise will continue with Hades returning somehow. Oh, and thanks for informing me about Captain Syrup! I've only played Shake It and very little of 4 so my knowledge is very small.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Anybody else have a feeling that part of the reason that Mewtwo isn't coming till the spring might be because he isn't coming alone? I mean, if you're going to take the time to add and balance another character, why not do 2 or 3(or maybe even 4)? it may or may not be K.Rool, but its still a thought

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Anybody else have a feeling that part of the reason that Mewtwo isn't coming till the spring might be because he isn't coming alone? I mean, if you're going to take the time to add and balance another character, why not do 2 or 3(or maybe even 4)? it may or may not be K.Rool, but its still a thought
I think I can speak for just about everyone when I say, I really freakin hope so! If you ask me, I think we'll get a cut Brawl vet (most likely Wolf) and a newcomer (K. Rool or Isaac). But hey, we have no idea, so that's why speculation exists and its what makes these forums so much fun to be a part of! :p

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
How about this idea for a villains pack DLC: a Melee Veteran (Mewtwo:mewtwomelee:), a Brawl Veteran (Wolf :wolf:) and a newcomer (King K. Rool)?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
That would be the ideal DLC pack. I really liked Wolf in Brawl, and his exclusion this game was just such a crime. It's like they filled a hole in the starfox series, only to drill it in again...

Top Bottom