• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

On a side note...
Am I the only one who thinks that Baron K. Roolenstein's theme is underrated? Sure, it's not as memorable as the other two, and it is a bit repetitive, but I think that it is still a pretty solid theme, and I think it is the darkest of them all.
i like that song,i always thought that "raaawr" noise was k rool. i think my favorite soundtrack was dkc 2,then dkc 1,then dkc 3. and dont forget about donkey kong land. my favorite song out of themm all is bayou boogie from dkc2

this guy (djthesdotcom) makes alot of catchy dk remixes,here is a few.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A nine-year-old (or at least someone claiming to be one) just popped up on DK Vine to ask members "if they had seen the K. Rool cameo in Tropical Freeze."

I guess people will have to find a different drum to beat other than "kids don't know who K. Rool is."

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
I have an idea. What if they instead use Lord Fredrik and give him all KKR moves? I mean he all ready has some homage of KKR? So why not use the walrus instated of the croc?

Chase

Smash Ace
I have an idea. What if they instead use Lord Fredrik and give him all KKR moves? I mean he all ready has some homage of KKR? So why not use the walrus instated of the croc?
A multitude of reasons:
  • K. Rool is much more well-known and popular than Fredrik is.
  • Fredrik would do much better with his own moveset based on ice.
  • As similar as they are, they are two separate characters and should be treated as such.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Thing is, even if he hasn't been in a game for a while, he's made enough of an impression on the gaming world that people still remember his name.
You don't forget a series' main villain; it just doesn't happen. If Bowser stopped showing up in main-series Mario games around SM64, ye can bet yer britches we'd still remember the proud Koopa King.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The community spirit to see King K. Rool in Smash Bros is very strong, and that's what I like about this support thread - Not afraid to show its strong dedication, and I think that now is the best time to show it, with the 20th anniversary of the Donkey Kong Country games. @ BKupa666 BKupa666 , I can tell it would be a dream come true for you and everyone who played the SNES classic all the way to King K. Rool to see him in the game. I never grew up with King K. myself, only learning of him through Melee and the internet, but for you, being able to fight as the final boss of such an iconic game in your childhood would mean a lot more than what others see of it. It would be a dream come true, and I'm happy to lend my hand supporting him. (And I'm already a Kutthroat, so don't interpret this as if I've never been here.)

I'm also curious how King K. would fare in Team Battles and 8-Player Smash, so how do you think he'll fare?

Last edited:
people want k rool,although a frederick clone would be cool. it isnt what we want.

that would be like people asking for ganon,eveyone wants ganon,but instead they get his counterpart from lorule(forgot his name) yeah it would be cool,but it would be like a slap to the face to all the fans who wanted that character.

in sakurai's words(fake words)
"what you want ridley? here have kraid"

"you want megaman? here have elecman"

"you want little mac? have glass joe intead,he is more iconic than little mac,i mean they are basicly the same character attack wise so why not"

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
What if they instead use Lord Fredrik and give him all KKR moves?
No.

So why not use the walrus instated of the croc?
Because Lord Fredrik is a paltry imitation that will be discarded and forgotten about years from now.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Guys, ignore Rattle Kalimba. Click his username, you should be given a menu, click the ignore button, and boom, he will just disappear.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
This guy gets it. I've only been around for about a month and it's, just, so great. The Kutthroats have constructed a community of devoted fans of the Donkey Kong series as well as Smash Bros, all working towards a common goal. It's really quite heartwarming, people rallying around something as trivial as a video game character, and becoming great friends because of it.
You guys are making me sentimental man...

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet
A nine-year-old (or at least someone claiming to be one) just popped up on DK Vine to ask members "if they had seen the K. Rool cameo in Tropical Freeze."

I guess people will have to find a different drum to beat other than "kids don't know who K. Rool is."
I think I found that cameo in Tropical Freeze.

The bunch of bananas on his head is supposed to be the crown and the rock is shaped as his head.

StormC

Smash Hero
I REALLY want some music from the classic DK games (Country 1,2,3)...

The music from Returns is not very good IMO.
Hopefully we get some Tropical Freeze music. And the only notable DKCR song (Gear Getaway) is already in the game, so hey.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think I found that cameo in Tropical Freeze.

The bunch of bananas on his head is supposed to be the crown and the rock is shaped as his head.
We've known about that for a long time. I don't have Tropical Freeze and I've seem people constantly bringing up the K. Rool cameo. Even Tiki Tong Terror has some nods to K. Rool through the fact that Tiki Tong has a similar infected eye. And naturally Lord Frederic's moveset is a clear nod to the K. Rool boss battles.

Oh, Rattle Kalimba is still posted? Yeah, I blocked him, so I can't see his idiotic filth anymore. Everyone else should do the same. By blocking him, no one can see what he says, and ultimately, he'll eventually leave us a lone because he's got no one who will respond to him.

I really liked the song from dkcr that's playable the rhythmic factory level.
Which one is it? The main Factory music I know of is the awesome Fear Factory remix.

EDIT: Speaking of which, maybe we can get Fear Factory on 75m? I mean, its not the same, but it'd still be awesome.

Last edited:
We've known about that for a long time. I don't have Tropical Freeze and I've seem people constantly bringing up the K. Rool cameo. Even Tiki Tong Terror has some nods to K. Rool through the fact that Tiki Tong has a similar infected eye. And naturally Lord Frederic's moveset is a clear nod to the K. Rool boss battles.

Oh, Rattle Kalimba is still posted? Yeah, I blocked him, so I can't see his idiotic filth anymore. Everyone else should do the same. By blocking him, no one can see what he says, and ultimately, he'll eventually leave us a lone because he's got no one who will respond to him.

Which one is it? The main Factory music I know of is the awesome Fear Factory remix.

EDIT: Speaking of which, maybe we can get Fear Factory on 75m? I mean, its not the same, but it'd still be awesome.

yeah retro really wanted us to like the snowmads,they even made frederick as close as possible to k rool so that we would like him,just put k rools face on frederick and you have k rool. and i think retro is opening their eyes and realizing that we want kremlings back.

and yes the snowmads are cool and more likable than the tikis,but they will never amount to the likeness of the kremling krew.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
What's with the dismissal of DKCR's soundtrack? I think the composers did an excellent job with that game's music. "Palm Tree Groove" and its variations are fresh new takes on the old "DK Island Swing" melody. "Poppin' Planks" is an atmospheric new tune with a great tropical vibe. "Furious Fire" is an epic late-game level theme that would rank among the best pieces of a Metroid soundtrack. "Golden Temple" is a genius new song comprised of the simple melodies featured in Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong Jr. Math. I'm still amazed at how they managed to take that many disparate, 3-second notes and combine them into a working melody.

Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is a vast, natural improvement over Returns', but that's to be expected with the return of David Wise and the presumably higher budget. I'd hardly call Returns' soundtrack lacking in notable songs in its own right.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lol, even that's a Fear Factory remix, although its more remixed than the other one.

What's with the dismissal of DKCR's soundtrack? I think the composers did an excellent job with that game's music. "Palm Tree Groove" and its variations are fresh new takes on the old "DK Island Swing" melody. "Poppin' Planks" is an atmospheric new tune with a great tropical vibe. "Furious Fire" is an epic late-game level theme that would rank among the best pieces of a Metroid soundtrack. "Golden Temple" is a genius new song comprised of the simple melodies featured in Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong Jr. Math. I'm still amazed at how they managed to take that many disparate, 3-second notes and combine them into a working melody.

Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is a vast, natural improvement over Returns', but that's to be expected with the return of David Wise and the presumably higher budget. I'd hardly call Returns' soundtrack lacking in notable songs in its own right.
Returns had some good music and excellent remixes, but I think people prefer Tropical Freeze due to bringing David Wise back.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's not a bad soundtrack by any means, but it's nowhere near the level of the original trilogy's music.

Also way too many remixes.

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Semi on topic, but I've been replaying DKC1 on GBA for fun. Anyone know how to get across the large chasm in Ice Age Alley with Expresso to reach the bonus level? I seriously feel like I'm not pressing the right buttons.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's not a bad soundtrack by any means, but it's nowhere near the level of the original trilogy's music.

Also way too many remixes.
Definitely agree in that the remixes were a little overwhelming. I'd love to see more games be completely original with their music instead of reusing older melodies. As good as, say, Stickerbush Symphony is, I'd rather see them create a new piece that's just as good than for them to remix it again. Considering they were basically pandering to nostalgia in selling DKCR though, I can see why they had so many remixes.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
If we talk about music from Returns I always think of the Palm Tree Groove in the Level where every thing was shadow-ish, you know what I mean:

I think this would fit very well in the 64 Donkey Kong stage, right?

Kroconut

Smash Cadet
I've got some great news! I was wondering through a Super Smash Bros. group on Facebook, and came across this poll that was conducted, King K. Rool scored highest with 41 votes, and he even got more than the cut-veterans did.

This tells me the fans of the series want him as DLC!

yesss let the krool flow through you. k rool will rock all the polls,

i was thinking of pits codec call on palutenas temple,i think this is something they would say
pit: who is that? he seems familiar ,but i dont remember him

palutena: you're right pit,he does seem familiar.

pit: its on the tip of my tongue...........who is he?

palutena: hmmm green,scaly,fat.........and big! ,i know who he is!!

pit: who?

palutena: its kraid from metroid!!

pit: oh yeah you're right.

King k.rool: its me k rool!!!! come on i haven't been gone that long!!

palutena: oh thats right you're king k rool,i havnt seen you since like the middle ages.

pit: hey show him some respect,i know how it feels to be forgotten for a long time.

reggie fils amai: who is that fat green guy?

King k rool: "facepalm" im surrounded by idiots.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool having more than 10 votes over the next highest character? Well damn.

Sakurai, are you listening?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've got some great news! I was wondering through a Super Smash Bros. group on Facebook, and came across this poll that was conducted, King K. Rool scored highest with 41 votes, and he even got more than the cut-veterans did.

This tells me the fans of the series want him as DLC!
That seems to bode well for King K! If we keep up this strong community spirit, we'll be able to get the last member of the Big Three in Smash 4! (Hold on, Roy. You'll be back one day...:roymelee:)

Last edited:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Our support for the king is strong, like the force of 10,000 armed soldiers. Hear our chants and feel our wrath, we won't rest until we see K. Rool in Smash!:colorful:

StormC

Smash Hero
That said, I am extremely surprised that Lucas cut off Snake, though only barely.

D

Deleted member

Can I just say how happy I am to be part of this group? I never thought I'd see the day where a support group stays as strong as ours has after the game's release, and look where we are now.
This. It was definitely one of the most fun characters groups to be part of when speculation was still going. I'm glad to see that our group is moving places. Hopefully our push will eventually lead to our ultimate goal achieved; if not this game, then definitely Smash 5.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Definitely agree in that the remixes were a little overwhelming. I'd love to see more games be completely original with their music instead of reusing older melodies. As good as, say, Stickerbush Symphony is, I'd rather see them create a new piece that's just as good than for them to remix it again. Considering they were basically pandering to nostalgia in selling DKCR though, I can see why they had so many remixes.
DKCR was definitely sold mostly on nostalgia. That's very much evident by how the game was marketed. Granted, it could've been marketed on nostalgia better if they brought back the Kremlings right away... :p

StormC

Smash Hero
That's kind of my anxiety for the future of the Donkey Kong franchise; that DKCR's success was a one-stop shop for nostalgia and the average consumer isn't interested in more games.

Donkey Kong's fanbase lacks a vocal and collected voice on the internet, as well, compared to other Nintendo series.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Agreed. Sales speak for themselves, but it seems as those most of the 6 million people buying DKCR aren't online singing its praises, whereas there are a ton of people flinging poo around, shaming Nintendo for making "F***ING DONKEY KONG" instead of their personal (lesser-selling) game of choice.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The focus on nostalgia was one thing I didn't like much about DKCR. It's good to give nods to the long-time fans and make references to the original trilogy, but the way Returns was presented, from its name to its soundtrack, made it come off more as a "reliving" of DKC1, rather than a continuation of the series. Like @ StormC StormC , I was left wondering if DKCR would just be a one-time thing, because the way the game was designed didn't make it seem as if Nintendo had any plans to continue with the series in the long-term. Tropical Freeze's reveal came at a time when I was probably least expecting a DKCR follow-up. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
All that said, Retro Studios and Monster Games both having worked on Donkey Kong leaves me hopeful that the series isn't going to be bounced around from developer to developer like it did in the 00s, cranking out a bunch of niche games and nothing else.

THAT'S PART OF WHY WE NEED K. ROOL IN THIS GAME. It will only help ensure the franchise's legacy for a new generation.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
All that said, Retro Studios and Monster Games both having worked on Donkey Kong leaves me hopeful that the series isn't going to be bounced around from developer to developer like it did in the 00s, cranking out a bunch of niche games and nothing else.

THAT'S PART OF WHY WE NEED K. ROOL IN THIS GAME. It will only help ensure the franchise's legacy for a new generation.
Yeah, agreed. I really feel like Monster is going to take over the DK franchise for Retro while Retro can revive other retro franchises.

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU

I liked some themes on DKCR but to be fair, Tropical Freeze has a way better soundtrack than DKCR (Of course it is because David Wise is a genius) :D

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

I agree with you here. Haven't finished the game, but I think the soundtrack is really good. May not be as great as the classic Rare era DKC tracks that we all know and love and even Tropical Freeze has an amazing soundtrack, but DKCR's OST is still good in its own right. To me, soundtracks of a game should fit the atmosphere. Wise and the other composers of DKC games capture that atmosphere really well.

Top Bottom