• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Is it newcomer specific? I can see him being outweighed by angry Snake, Wolf and Lucas fans (Though they are justified).

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Well oh damn, this is important! Link to the source of this info?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is it newcomer specific? I can see him being outweighed by angry Snake, Wolf and Lucas fans (Though they are justified).
Honestly, I can't. In various fan polls we've seen, K. Rool always consistently topped the lists (if we disregard downvoting) along with Ridley, Mewtwo, and Isaac. Wolf usually hovered around the Top 5, but Snake and Isaac never came close. If this is an official poll, I don't see how it'd be much different.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
@ Rattle-Kalimba Rattle-Kalimba You were already banned for trolling in this thread once. Don't push your luck again.

@Xzsmmc I sometimes think the same thing, then I remember that the vast majority of this game's newcomers exist.
It is important to note that DLC characters/ characters within an expansions tend to be primarily targeted towards the hardcore audience anyways, so being iconic to the "causals" is neither a real benefit nor hindrance to being able to be sold well as DLC. One particular example of something like this that I know would be Super Street Fighter 4, an expansion to the already successful Street Fighter 4 (which already included ALL of the iconic Street Fighter characters).

To explain the context, Super Street Fighter 4 had 10 additional characters with 2 being brand-new, made from scratch characters with absolutely no established fanbases. The other 8 were lesser-known veterans that came from different games and the ones that were fan-favourites were only popular amongst the hardcore Street Fighter fans that already knew them. Guess what? The expansion not only met the sales expectations, but also exceeded it, selling almost 2 million copies.

Long story short- if Capcom was able to sell an expansion full of obscure characters that only catered to hardcore fans of said franchise and still be successful, the moral of the story is that being obscure to "casuals" is no problem as far as DLC is concerned, which will definitely have a lower sales target. Besides, DLC catering to hardcore favourites in fighting games is nothing new, so I always scratch my head whenever someone says that Isaac is unlikely to be part of a DLC pack because he's "not recognizable enough" despite scoring among the Top 10 most heavily requested characters in polls taken by the target audience of Smash DLC.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I can't. In various fan polls we've seen, K. Rool always consistently topped the lists (if we disregard downvoting) along with Ridley, Mewtwo, and Isaac. Wolf usually hovered around the Top 5, but Snake and Isaac never came close. If this is an official poll, I don't see how it'd be much different.
I guess the polls do speak for themselves. Then KKR will have no problem.

Last edited:

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
This talk of a poll happening is getting me excited, especially if it's an official nintendo one. Oh, and sign me up with the Kutthroats! The King deserves to be in smash!

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
It may have already been mentioned, but the average age of a gamer is 30, so I'm pretty sure a good many will know who K Rool is.

Also, I'm all for "obscure" characters being included in this game.
The more non-hero / non-protagonist / non-sword-wielding the better. :113:

I'd also be interested in a "Developer's Pick" addition to the roster. You know, let the developers have some fun, designing some roster picks, without the pressures or marketing and such. I'm sure the choices would be interesting.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, the poll will be on Smashboards, sorry for not immediately clarifying (as if Sakurai would ever do more than vaguely allude to the existence of a Western character poll in interviews). That being said, it's still a great way to show off how many people still want to see the character. Nintendo reps, up to and including Nate Bihldorff, do lurk these forums, you know.

It'll be tough competing directly with any cut veteran (although Ice Climbers may be dead in the water for stupid reasons anyway), but as far as newcomers go, this is K. Rool's time to stake his claim as the next most wanted.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, the poll will be on Smashboards, sorry for not immediately clarifying (as if Sakurai would ever do more than vaguely allude to the existence of a Western character poll in interviews). That being said, it's still a great way to show off how many people still want to see the character. Nintendo reps, up to and including Nate Bihldorff, do lurk these forums, you know.

It'll be tough competing directly with any cut veteran (although Ice Climbers may be dead in the water for stupid reasons anyway), but as far as newcomers go, this is K. Rool's time to stake his claim as the next most wanted.
Yeah, I thought it was something like that.

EDIT: On that note, K. Rool was always one of the top most wanted overall throughout the Smashboards RTC thread. That's an important thing to consider as well. I blatantly think that K. Rool will top this list with Isaac and cut vets right behind.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This talk of a poll happening is getting me excited, especially if it's an official nintendo one. Oh, and sign me up with the Kutthroats! The King deserves to be in smash!
Ye want to be one of us, ye get to be one of us, matey!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Wolf, Lucas, Snake, etc. will undoubtedly have more fans since they have established characters in the series. But imo, so long as K. Rool tops the list of non-cut completely-new characters, I'd be content.

Sorry to be so late to this thread, but I think it would be neat to see K. Rool (and Dixie) in Smash.

For a long time my only real exposure to the DK series was playing bits and pieces of Donkey Kong Country/DK 64 and watching the DKC TV show. I decided to pick up Tropical Freeze recently and really enjoyed it though, especially Dave Wise's music. I think the franticness of TF (and DKR from what I have seen) really sets it apart from a lot of other platformers out there and I appreciated the challenge even if I am a nublet who is pretty bad at games.

Anyway, I'm glad that there is going to be at least one new DK stage on the Wii U and I hope it's not the only new DK thing in that game. I learned from the relatively limited DK representation in the 3DS version to not get my hopes up too high (I'm still kind of confused about the whole Chunky AT thing to be honest), but I do think more DK stuff is possible.

By the way, I've been lurking here for a bit, so no "One of Us" is necessary. I think I've listened to that song plenty of times already.

another one without an inititation? we kuttroats be slackin today . you dont want the video? well you be gettin one anyway. .
welcome

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You guys post the song so much, I've nearly memorized the entire thing down to voice imitation. :laugh:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace

I'll vote, but if only we could get greater attention to the poll, perhaps link it on the Kremling Kampaign Twitter feed

You guys post the song so much, I've nearly memorized the entire thing down to voice imitation. :laugh:
your life is better off now,knowing the lyrics.

we post that video for anyone that wants to join us,like an initiation.

in a way it makes sense too,with dk bieng the new recruit and us bieng k rool telling dk a bunch of reasons to join us.....to be one of us.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Despite liking Jungle Hijinx's overall look and gimmick, I'm still very disappointed in regards to DK stages. Instead of two new ones, we get one recycled from the N64 Smash Bros, and the return of possibly the worst stage in Smash Bros. history. If recycling content from Melee is so hard because it's old, they must have built Kongo Jungle from the ground up. Why not just make a new stage?

Though I'll take a recycled Kongo Jungle or 75m over a Gangplank Galleon with boss K. Rool any day. Been thinking about Ridley (That sounds awkward), and the very possibility of K. Rool being shoved into what is easily the worst sort of role in the game is just cringeworthy to think about.

This thinking about Ridley's unfortunate fate has put me in a cynical mood (big shock), and it's brought to the forefront of my mind something that is extremely unpleasant to think about. Is K. Rool really popular enough outside of Smash Bros to warrant a spot? Looking at the various characters added over the years, most of them are well-known or popular beyond their Smash Bros. fans. Sure, there's the oddball like Wii Fit Trainer or ROB, but most of the story-driven franchises have the characters that are most well known, even by general audiences. Could that be why DK seems so underrepresented? Because beyond DK and Diddy, there aren't enough truly "iconic" characters? Don't want to think about this, but it's an unpleasant idea that keeps coming up.
He isn't. If we were still talking about the retail game I'd say krool has no real chance.

But as others have pointed out dlc could be different and cater more to niche and hardcore fans. That is his one chance but it's impossible rn to say how likely that is. After all mewtwo is a character who was likely already in development and has a much larger fan base and current relevance than krool or ridley (and will probably use his old melee move set)

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Oh snap! This thread is back! Good to be back.

I gotta say, I feel a lot better about K. Rool's chances of coming back (Smash or no Smash). At least a lot better than last month anyway. I feel like we are getting a lot of tiny victories lately. The DKC and DKL games getting rereleased is a great way to see Nintendo acknowledge the Kremlings, plus the Kritters making a resurgence in Smash Run too. There's even K. Rool's trophy reinstating him as DK's arch rival and It felt reassuring that Michael Kelbaugh liked the Kampaign.

Mewtwo coming back as DLC may be the greatest thing to happen to this game for me, not only because I really like him or he deserved it or he saved the roster for me but because characters that were trophies before still have a fighting chance. I'm certain the constant fan demand for Mewtwo was what got him in, so why not King K. Rool?. I may be oozing with too much optimism but I'm just happy with what's going on recently.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Guys, just a heads-up, there's going to be a Smash DLC popularity poll released in the near future.

You want a chance to showcase K. Rool's continuing popularity? You're about to get it, so be sure to vote in his favour on it (especially since you're allowed multiple choices, as far as I know).
I'd happily vote for the King and my Boy Roy! :)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Wishlist? I only want the three characters in my signature as DLC. One lost veteran, one third party with an out of place trophy, and one character that should have never been abandoned by Nintendo. I'd be happy if even one of them showed up.

D

Deleted member

Guys, just a heads-up, there's going to be a Smash DLC popularity poll released in the near future.

You want a chance to showcase K. Rool's continuing popularity? You're about to get it, so be sure to vote in his favor on it (especially since you're allowed multiple choices, as far as I know).
I will definitely be looking forward to this. My first vote will go to King K. Rool; anyone else is lower priority.
As long as King K. Rool is the top newcomer and is very close to these three (plus Ice Climbers), we have accomplished our goal of helping to cement King K. Rool's popularity. I'm not that worried about the fact that K. Rool may lag slightly behind the Brawl cuts.
Yeah, I thought it was something like that.

EDIT: On that note, K. Rool was always one of the top most wanted overall throughout the Smashboards RTC thread. That's an important thing to consider as well. I blatantly think that K. Rool will top this list with Isaac and cut vets right behind.
I'd like to make one thing clear:

Rate Their Chance is not and should never be seen as a semi-representative account of popularity. When I ran it on a few occasion (one in 2011, one in 2012, and briefly the last RTC in 2013 before RL emergencies came into play), I made it clear that RTC should never be used for speculation of any sort or to determine popularity of a character. There are better source we can use than a forum game, even if I do agree that King K. Rool will likely top the DLC poll when considering newcomers.
For all we know, this could be King K. Rool's meme if we post it enough. :lol:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I will definitely be looking forward to this. My first vote will go to King K. Rool; anyone else is lower priority.As long as King K. Rool is the top newcomer and is very close to these three (plus Ice Climbers), we have accomplished our goal of helping to cement King K. Rool's popularity. I'm not that worried about the fact that K. Rool may lag slightly behind the Brawl cuts.
I'd like to make one thing clear:

Rate Their Chance is not and should never be seen as a semi-representative account of popularity. When I ran it on a few occasion (one in 2011, one in 2012, and briefly the last RTC in 2013 before RL emergencies came into play), I made it clear that RTC should never be used for speculation of any sort or to determine popularity of a character. There are better source we can use than a forum game, even if I do agree that King K. Rool will likely top the DLC poll when considering newcomers.For all we know, this could be King K. Rool's meme if we post it enough. :lol:
I know RTC was just a forum game, my point is, this poll will be Smashboards-based. RTC is a good example of how ratings may go on RTC, but it definitely doesn't apply to the wider world as a whole.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

You want a chance to showcase K. Rool's continuing popularity? You're about to get it, so be sure to vote in his favor on it (especially since you're allowed multiple choices, as far as I know).

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet
I am going to do that poll and my top priority is our Kremling King as he will most likely take top 3 in the poll and maybe #1 most wanted DLC newcomer.
I've also re tweeted the twitter post as you pleased.
In the words of K. Rool, I say:"~Now that I have the power, this is my finest hour, nothing on this earth can stop me now!~"

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The way I see it, DLC is likely going to be a combination of fan demand and potential marketability. Mewtwo is both: the most intensely-demanded character for Smash and also a remarkably popular Pokemon in and of itself that's recently experienced a resurgence in marketing initiative. Now before I alienate you fine folk by suggesting that K. Rool is relegated to the "No Hopers" because of that, I actually think it's quite the opposite. I think the fact that he is both a hugely popular character in his own right and bears a lot of potential to appear in future games works wonders in his favour.

I think it's worth remembering that even Pit, nowadays considered an essential and important "all-star" in the Nintendo canon, did pretty much nothing for what seemed like an eternity before Brawl, and subsequently Uprising, rescued him from perennial obscurity. I'm aware that that's at least a good deal because Sakurai is fond of the character as well as anything else, but it demonstrates that he has marketing potential. Punch-Out!! returned from oblivion with a highly-regarded Wii sequel; hell, even Duck Hunt is back in on the action with an adorable new redesign on Sakurai's part! Fire Emblem is a similar case, albeit in this case, it introduced an entire series to the West that we had previously never even heard of. Popularity and marketability are not mutually exclusive: they influence each-other and help embellish the other part of themselves. If fan demand is great enough for a character, the developers will take notice and see what they can do with them; likewise, if a character is popular or interesting enough to warrant appearing in future games, Smash is a powerful method of testing the waters with them and getting the word out about them.

The way I see it, all signs point due Kremling. The recent series of small wins for the Kutthroats' Krew suggests to me that something wonderful is in store for the Kremlings, and if Retro are indeed thinking of using K. Rool as the villain for their next Donkey Kong game, what better way than to get fans hyped than by lobbying to have him return to Smash? They're damn well aware that the market is there and they're eviently conscious of the fact that K. Rool is a hell of a popular choice - all they need to do now is to suggest it to the higher-ups and see if Sakurai will get in on the action himself.

I don't think K. Rool's recent retirement is enough to count him out of the running just yet. If the likes of Pit, Duck Hunt, Little Mac are anything to go by, it's true to say that relevance - which is a subjective term anyway - means very little in the grand scheme of things. All that matters is how potent they are as characters and how much demand there is for them to return, and in K. Rool's case, he's got both in spades.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A few thoughts of mine:

--If you consider that new releases are beneficial, yet not almighty determinants of "will this character become playable," K. Rool's chances are better now than they were during development. Whereas Returns and Tropical Freeze held the spotlight back then, they've since receded somewhat to the point where it makes more sense to promote future DK releases vs. past ones.

In particular, the original DKC trilogy is almost definitely getting re-released in the U.S., there's a rumored Diddy Kong Racing Wii U supposedly in the works, and DKCR3 will almost certainly come out sooner or later (Retro now being big enough to work on multiple games at once and Monster Games being groomed to take over the DK IP). Granted, K. Rool could be sunk further by an absence from the latter, but I think, at this point, the odds are in his favor of making a comeback (and he's guaranteed the former, in any case). Which brings me to. . .

--The Koopalings. I think their treatment speaks for itself, and largely mirrors K. Rool and the Kremlings' to some degree. Regular appearances in past games and series cartoons? Check. Widespread popularity in and out of their series because of their appearances? Check. Absence from multiple "main series games?" Check. A replacement character getting created and becoming polarizing as such? Check. All that's left is for them to get revived in a big way, then rarely, if ever, miss another game going forward, including Smash.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Since I have a bit of downtime this afternoon, I'm writing out a more in-depth idea of what I envision K. Rool's Smash appearance to be. This one is meant to fit within the parameters of SSB4, where "unique or GTFO" is a guiding philosophy, although it's not the sort of intricate submission I'd make to MYM or anything.

K. Rool:
Referred to as such in-game because of his alternate costumes that deviate from his King persona. Kaptain, Baron and Boxer are all options, and, while Little Mac has sixteen colors, eight for normal Mac and eight for Wire Frame Mac, K. Rool has four colors for each costume, totalling sixteen as well. To a lesser extent, the lack of 'King' staves off politically-correct, yet degenerate complaints that "he's another fat King who's no different than Bowser or Dedede."

General 'Feel':
K. Rool is the new heaviest character in the game, requiring roughly 10-20% more to KO than Bowser, the current heaviest. What's more, although he's not nearly as fast as he was in DKC, he's still no slouch in getting around; he moves at roughly Bowser's speed and has a reasonably high first jump. The stage audibly rumbles whenever K. Rool lands, and the controller vibrates tangibly with each step he takes as he dashes. Much like how Jr's Clown Car takes less damage than his face, K. Rool's stomach takes slightly less damage than the rest of him, due to its gold plating.

"OMG broken!" you say? Not quite, says I. K. Rool is the largest character in the game as well, being slightly wider than Bowser and slightly taller than Ganondorf (the top part of his crown clips through low platforms, thankfully not being a hitbox/hurtbox), and even then, he's hunched over slightly. That being said, many of his physical hitboxes are either close range or difficult to land, leaving his size near exclusively as a weakness. In a game where most heavyweights are designed to suck 1 vs. 1 and dominate in FFAs, K. Rool is a giant target against multiple foes while offering few to no "big powerful moves that kill everything at once" to compensate.

Although he has a handful of deceptively quick moves, K. Rool also suffers from significant lag in many instances due to his bumbling nature. To close things out, K. Rool's second jump is comparable to Little Mac's as far as gaining him almost no distance, moreso just delaying his fall, leaving him a prime target to be gimped once he's offstage (his rock-like fall speed doesn't help matters, for this or when he's being juggled onstage). Moreso than most other characters, K. Rool is the living embodiment of the phrase "the bigger they are, the harder they fall."

Specials:
K. Rool's Neutral Special is the Spiky Cannonball, which is differentiated from Jr's generic cannonball in that its primary purpose is not as a projectile. While it is a chargeable move, the cannonball's speed is low and deals minor damage in the air, its spikes not having fully emerged yet. When it lands, however, they pop out, turning the cannonball into a painful trap that lasts roughly as long as a Banana Peel (one onstage at a time).

K. Rool has a number of strategies with regard to the cannonball; it functions as somewhat of a barrier between him and attackers, making him more dangerous to approach. Cannonballs can be knocked around the stage, and many of K. Rool's moves are geared toward sending the cannonballs at specific trajectories at foes (although foes can retaliate and hit them back). This also means that the cannonball absorbs energy projectiles and stops others in their tracks, although they will knock it back at the King, who it can hurt. Custom moves allow the cannonball to roll forward along the stage or to bounce in place, both at the cost of lesser damage.

K. Rool's Side Special is the Red Cloud, a simple projectile that slows down those it hits, as if they were on the receiving end of a Timer. The cloud is slow and only affects foes for a second, roughly the length of a Warlock Punch; it's difficult to land, yet, if spaced properly, can allow K. Rool a vital hit here or there. If spammed, the cloud will occasionally crap out, speeding characters up instead. Its customizations include the freezing and reverse-control clouds. K. Rool's Down Special is the Blunderbuss Vacuum, which, in contrasting to other sucking moves, can be directed forward and backward to push as well as pull onstage elements and projectiles (pull in enemy projectiles to nullify them or shoot them back out).

Pulling in a spiky cannonball allows K. Rool to drag it around the stage or, if it reaches him, shoot it back out again to reposition it. Foes, too, can be pulled around (against their will into cannonball traps) or, if pulled into the blunderbuss, launched back out, as if they were shot out of a Smash Run barrel cannon. Its customizations include one where the blunderbuss suction decreases, but has damaging particles in its stream, and one with stronger suction that functions at a shorter range. K. Rool's Up Special is his Helicopter Pack, which basically functions as a slow variant of Fire Fox; it offers K. Rool slow, controlled flight in a single direction for a reasonable distance. It's not an awful recovery, but it's also quite easy to gimp; if the player holds 'A' while recovering, K. Rool's pack will sizzle with electricity, giving his entire body priority that can deter attackers, but that deals steady damage to him in the process. Customizations allow for a jetpack that offers a descending glide, rather than a directional boost, as well as an explosion that launches K. Rool high into the air for a great recovery at the expense of 10% self-damage.

Basic Attacks:
K. Rool's jab is his Crown Boomerang; whereas other characters can hold out their punches and kicks, K. Rool can hold out how far his crown travels. It functions as essentially an infinite-range projectile that comes at the cost of K. Rool remaining a sitting duck as he waits for it to return, gawking at the screen. His dash attack is a bull charge featuring his crown. His F-Tilt is a close-range belly thrust, his D-Tilt is a chomp that can be sweetspotted for knockback, and his U-Tilt is a DK64-esque uppercut.

K. Rool's Smash attack are unique in that they're incredibly powerful, among the most powerful in the game, yet all involve him moving around in strange trajectories that make them ineffective if just casually thrown out. K. Rool's F-Smash is a leaping belly flop that deals devastating damage to foes underneath him when he lands, but that requires careful spacing to land (and to avoid getting punished to boot). K. Rool's U-Smash involves him leaping up high into the air, spinning around to drill opponents with his crown; unless he connects with the initial hit of the crown, foes are just thrown away weakly by the move, ready to retaliate. To a lesser degree of craziness, K. Rool's D-Smash involves him collapsing onto his buttocks, releasing green shockwaves that can deal a fair amount of damage (and launch cannonballs vertically), but are only effective at a range.

K. Rool's aerials are all relatively run-of-the-mill, close range hits, far from the focus of his game, being more situational in use than anything. K. Rool's N-Air involves him spinning in a ball, throwing out his cape for a weak hit while his body itself deals good knockback at close range. His F-Air is a blunderbuss gun butt, his B-Air is an elbow smack, his U-Air is a lunging chomp and his D-Air is a blunderbuss burst of fire (that can spike weakly and slow his intense fall speed briefly). His grab is a chomp with surprising speed, but limited range. Snagged foes are in for a world of hurt, having to pay through the nose for getting in K. Rool's face and failing to effectively punish him. While his throws are generic tosses or suplexes that don't deal much damage, K. Rool's pummel is the proverbial Death Rool; the King gets down on his belly and rolls around, foe in mouth, dealing an unprecedented 6% per pummel until they mash free.

Last, but not least, K. Rool's Final Smash is The Kredits. Most thread veterans know and love this one; the King plays dead, while a series of Kredit platforms rise up from below off the screentop at high speeds, dragging hapless victims along with them. Think of this as a more chaotic version of Master Hand's new card attack. The Kredits themselves consist of the classic few from their original appearance in DKC, along with a handful of Smash-exclusive new ones.

Misc.:
Beyond being a hulking character, K. Rool's appearance onstage is distinct in that his expressions all ooze evil satisfaction at the schemes he's brewing, as well as the pain that will befall his victims as a result. He's finally back on center stage, and he'll be damned if he's not going to milk the moment and ham it up for all it's worth. Giant snaggle-toothed grins and maniacal bellows accompany every attack and animation he has, and his idle animation involves him looking at the screen and flexing a bicep. On the other hand, when he's failing, K. Rool becomes very visibly pissed. His bloodshot eye bulges (as in the cartoon) and his jaw drops, giving the distinct impression that he's both stunned and about to let out a wrathful scream; his cape also tears after he's passed 100%.

K. Rool's entrance animation involves him jetting onto the stage using his blunderbuss. He has his beloved DK64 taunt, one in which he blows smoke off his blunderbuss, and one in which he strokes his pet Klaptrap. His victory animations include maniacal laughter, leaping around in circles while spinning around, dancing (sound familiar?), and one in which he is hoisted up and down by visibly struggling Kritters. Like various other newcomers, his victory theme is separate from the Kongs', being a hard rock excerpt from his theme. His concept art involves him glaring into the screen, smiling evilly while pointing his blunderbuss directly at the fourth wall, his cape blowing in the wind behind him. Xander Mobus announces his name in a deep tone, drawing out the 'Rool' to emphasize the character's depravity.

tl;dr K. Rool's unique selling points:
--Heaviest, largest character in Smash history

--Meshes with current fighters, matching up well against close-range combo w****s struggling to penetrate his defenses, but poorly against other, faster projectile-users
--Contrasts with other heavyweights who excel in FFAs by being a heavy with a strong 1 vs. 1 leaning
--Contrasts within his own series by being a crocodilian villain, opposed to a third Kong hero, as well as by being a technology-based fighter, compared to a primitive hand and body-using fighter.
--Most unique costumes (sans Koopalings, who are technically alternate characters)
--Trap-layer capable of offensively or defensively attacking, dragging and launching his trap to his liking
--Projectile-centric heavyweight with a status effect projectile, a projectile jab, a psuedo-projectile D-Smash, and who can even turn foes into projectiles with his vacuum
--Recovery that borrows and improves upon Pichu's concept of self-damage for a higher payoff
--Mobile Smashes that are extremely high-risk, high-reward
--Grab-game that, in a reversal of the norm, uses the pummel for damage and the throws for positioning
--Wacky, unusual Final Smash that doesn't fit into any pre-existing archetypes (i.e. transformation, death beam, projectile barrage, death combo)
--New stature (obese anthropomorphic crocodile vs. a dozen normal humans)
--Distinct insane, calculating animations and expressions in-game (think Dedede's, taken Up To Eleven)

I think this about sums up what potential I think the King could bring into Smash while not overstepping any boundaries or becoming too complex to viably develop. I'm going to file this post away to promote on the website or anywhere else K. Rool's uniqueness or worth comes into question. Let me know if there's anything you'd like explained or fleshed out here.
Fantastic moveset ideas! Love it! Got a question for you though. What about when K. Rool uses his blunderbuss to propel himself forward like in DKC 2?

You mentioned that it's used for his entrance animation. Where could you fit this in your moveset idea? I think it could be a good idea for a side special (even though you put the clouds for the side special) or maybe a dash attack perhaps? What do you think @ BKupa666 BKupa666 .

Also I hear there gonna be a DLC poll here in Smashboards? When's the poll opening up? I'm giving my newcomer votes to Dixie, Issac, and of course, our King.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I was split between using the bull charge or the blunderbuss dash; they're interchangeable for the most part. I went with the bull charge because of its more visible hitbox (the crown), its representation of K. Rool's charging attack from the original DKC, and because it's a throwback to Fredrik (although I had the idea before Fredrik used it. . .thief).

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been lurking SmashBoards for months now and I thought I would register just to confirm my support for K. Rool's inclusion as DLC in Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS And Wii U.

Before the first Wii U/3DS trailer dropped, my most wanted characters were K. Rool, Mega Man, and Ridley. Mega Man is in! Ridley is... a stage boss! But despite my disappointment at the treatment of the Donkey Kong and Metroid franchises in Smash 3DS, I hold firm hope that my most wanted character might still make it as downloadable content. Although I feel Dixie is more likely, or at least more salient from a marketing perspective, K. Rool would be by far the biggest newcomer crowdpleaser for DLC. Let us remember the sacrifice Ridley made for us as we move into the future for hope of a new, more crocodilian tomorrow.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I've been lurking SmashBoards for months now and I thought I would register just to confirm my support for K. Rool's inclusion as DLC in Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS And Wii U.

Before the first Wii U/3DS trailer dropped, my most wanted characters were K. Rool, Mega Man, and Ridley. Mega Man is in! Ridley is... a stage boss! But despite my disappointment at the treatment of the Donkey Kong and Metroid franchises in Smash 3DS, I hold firm hope that my most wanted character might still make it as downloadable content. Although I feel Dixie is more likely, or at least more salient from a marketing perspective, K. Rool would be by far the biggest newcomer crowdpleaser for DLC. Let us remember the sacrifice Ridley made for us as we move into the future for hope of a new, more crocodilian tomorrow.
Welkome, welkome to the galleon! We hope you enjoy your stay with the Kutthroats!

Last edited:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
The only way, KKR can be a DLC-Character, is, when he appearance in a new game and plays a huge role in it. Something like DK64. But I'm not sure, if Nintendo really wants to make a new 3D-Plattformer like in the old days. Most people prefer 2D-Jump'n Runs.

Actually, I would like to see a new DK64 with the old Kongs like Tiny, Lanky and Chunky and the Kremling Krew again. But this only can happen, if Nintendo allows somebody to use them all again and it seems like, that Nintendo has a big issue against them all.

StormC

Smash Hero
I absolutely do not buy into the narrative that Nintendo holds ill will against Rare and their characters. Especially looking at everything in Tropical Freeze. They got a former Rare composer back, but they're still mad about a botched business deal with the company from over a decade ago?

It's far more likely that the creative minds just didn't feel pressured or interested in using those characters at the times in which they made the games. The PAON games and DKC GBA ports all used these characters liberally (even ones that didn't show up in the original games, like Chunky).

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure... It seems like the Kongs of DK64 and the Kremlings do not fit very well the setting of the newer DK-Games and Nintendo in the whole. Nintendo is more cute and in the japanese anime styled way with their games, the 64-Kongs and the Kremlings are the exact opposite. Their cartoony and wacky in a western styled way.

If they bring them back they have to match them with the other Nintendo characters. Only than it can work.

StormC

Smash Hero
Except that Retro Studios is an American developer, not a Japanese one.

The Kremlings (and Lanky Kong) have already been put in Japanese-developed games, anyway.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but in those games they where match with the typicall style of a Nintendo Game. Not in the style of a Rareware.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I realised most characters you can find png files for. So I decided to have some fun.

With DLC the dream will never die!...until a new smash is announced, in which case KROOL4SMASH5!

Top Bottom