• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
K Rool must be DLC. A villains pack with Hades, Wolf and K Rool is my hope.
I'd take it, but I'd much, much rather have Dixie than Hades. I think KI has more than enough characters.

I can't wait to see how the DLC poll goes, but so far, the Kremling King is #1.
And its probably going to stay that way. I honestly did expect this outcome. Isaac is surprisingly lower than I thought he'd be, but he's still right behind the cut vets (except Snake), so it doesn't bother me at all. #3 most wanted newcomer is nothing to sneeze at.

D

Deleted member

IAnd its probably going to stay that way. I honestly did expect this outcome. Isaac is surprisingly lower than I thought he'd be, but he's still right behind the cut vets (except Snake), so it doesn't bother me at all. #3 most wanted newcomer is nothing to sneeze at.
I actually expected the Brawl characters to be close with King K. Rool, not be surpassed by a relatively large margin. The fact that so far, K. Rool is the most wanted character for DLC is highly impressive, especially when considering that he's been gone for over six years.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Before the first trailer of 3DS/Wii U dropped, K. Rool's only real competition was Mega Man, Mewtwo, Little Mac, and Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Before the first trailer of 3DS/Wii U dropped, K. Rool's only real competition was Mega Man, Mewtwo, Little Mac, and Ridley.
Having been around for the pre-SSB4 period before E3 2013, I can say that he was in between. Mewtwo and Mega Man were both ahead of King K. Rool but K. Rool was ahead of Ridley and honestly, I don't think Little Mac's popularity could compare of that of Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool, and Ridley.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I actually expected the Brawl characters to be close with King K. Rool, not be surpassed by a relatively large margin. The fact that so far, K. Rool is the most wanted character for DLC is highly impressive, especially when considering that he's been gone for over six years.
Well, it doesn't surprise me at all. Based on what we've heard from earlier polls, it did appear that K. Rool was the #1 most wanted Nintendo newcomer worldwide. I don't recall exactly where the list came from, unfortunately, but this was the listing I kept seeing around:

West & Japan:
1. Mewtwo
2. Mega Man
3. King K. Rool

Japan:
4. Palutena
5. Shulk

West:
4. Little Mac
5. Ridley

I don't know exactly how true this listing is, I mainly saw this one popping up shortly before Smash 3DS's release. That said, we've known for a long time than K. Rool is very popular even in Japan. We've also heard a rumor that NoA Treehouse employees testing the games really wanted K. Rool, too.

Having been around for the pre-SSB4 period before E3 2013, I can say that he was in between. Mewtwo and Mega Man were both ahead of King K. Rool but K. Rool was ahead of Ridley and honestly, I don't think Little Mac's popularity could compare of that of Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool, and Ridley.
And regardless of whether or not the listing I found above is true, it is true that K. Rool overall was more requested than Ridley, and less than Mega Man / Mewtwo. But he's still one of the most popular in general. K. Rool's fans weren't as VOCAL as Ridley's, though. That's the difference.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Sometime, I might make this script into an image with the characters' profiles next to each line (in English and Japanese), then tweet it out, tagging Sakurai somewhere in there. If he's apathetic about DK and delighted over Uprising, this should serve as adequate bait, yes?

Since my laptop lacks Photoshop, if anyone wants to get the job done ahead of me, go right ahead, of course.
!!

This was actually one of my planned pictures, except my conversation involved Pit bragging that he defeated K. Rool and Palutena acting oblivious about K. Rool's tendency to play dead. I like this one with Viridi, very clever.

If someone gets to it before I do, double (preferably triple) check the Japanese translation. There is a reddit sub I have used in the past called http://www.reddit.com/r/translator R/Translator. They will translate a few lines of text for free if you ask nicely and you have the english script ready. I would explain some details about the relationships between the speakers as rank matters more in japanese conversations.

Something like this could be very funny/have a good impact if translated properly! But if translated by google that potential is gone.

Of course if there are any Japanese speakers/writers here, that would be great if they could help out.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Ooh, this looks fun. I'll take a whack at it.

Pit: Lady Palutena! This crocodile has more projectiles than I do! Where does he keep all of those gadgets? Why on earth does a crocodile have weapons in the first place? Who is this guy?!

Viridi: Hmph! Such a vile creature, polluting the earth with his machines.

Pit: Err, Viridi? Alright, could you give me some tips? Hey! Watch where you're firing those, you fat crock!

Viridi: What did you call me?!

Pit: Not you! Ahg! *hack cough* poison gas too?! Just help me out here!

Viridi: Well then. That's "King" K. Rool, the leader of the Kremlings. He's performed many horrid deeds against nature, with his oil drilling, mining operations, heavy pollution, stealing banana hordes from poor innocent monkeys, general property damage...

Pit: Monkeys? Oh, this is the guy that always caused trouble for DK! I hadn't seen him in so long, I forgot who he was!

Viridi: You'd forget your own head if it weren't attached to your shoulders.

Pit: I'm about to lose it, if this guy has any say in it...

[collapse=Bonus Snake Codec]
Snake: Woah, this alligator came prepared, he's got as many weapons as I do...

Otacon: Snake! That's King K. Rool, leader of the Kremling crew and arch nemesis of Donkey Kong. Many times has he tried to eradicate the entire Kong family, from trying to starve them by stealing their food supply, to completely destroying their island.

Snake: Sounds like... Gorilla warfare.

Otacon: Uhhg, Snake... Just be careful, though he may be big and heavy, he's deceptively quick. This guy is no joke, though he's got the brains to create and use technology, he's equally insane! He'll try any underhanded tactic to win, he'll even play dead to catch you off guard, so watch out!

Snake: Dirty tricks huh... We'll see which reptile comes out on top.
[/collapse]

Hey, this is how I would type up a segment in "Forum fight" (On the forums games) but with no colors

But on Topic with K. Rool, this brings back recent memories and yet it is fun.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Y'know, honestly, I'd be perfectly fine with another KI fighter. Especially if it was a package deal with K. Rool. Uprising certainly introduced plenty of interesting characters, so they could pull it off.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Honestly, K. Rool outranking those guys at the moment is probably moreso due to vote split in between them all, whereas he's far and away the biggest newcomer choice left over.

Not that it really matters now, but Ridley had the appearance of more widespread support due to how vocal his fans were forced to be in light of the trolling they received. The analogy I use is that they were a normal plant that, when their garden started getting fertilized with troll crap, started sprouting skyward. K. Rool having global support, whereas no one gives a damn about Ridley outside the U.S., gives him the overall edge between the two, not that there's any competition between them.

Biased as a fourth Kid Icarus character would be, my distaste for it would pale in comparison to my glee if it were Hades (and only Hades, mind you).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, K. Rool outranking those guys at the moment is probably moreso due to vote split in between them all, whereas he's far and away the biggest newcomer choice left over.

Not that it really matters now, but Ridley had the appearance of more widespread support due to how vocal his fans were forced to be in light of the trolling they received. The analogy I use is that they were a normal plant that, when their garden started getting fertilized with troll crap, started sprouting skyward. K. Rool having global support, whereas no one gives a damn about Ridley outside the U.S., gives him the overall edge between the two, not that there's any competition between them.

Biased as a fourth Kid Icarus character would be, my distaste for it would pale in comparison to my glee if it were Hades (and only Hades, mind you).
Yeah, that much I knew. Ridley had far more detractors, so the fans became more vocal to counteract that. However, Ridley wasn't as popular as K. Rool and a couple others (although he WAS a very popular request).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm pretty confident that a DLC K. Rool would either use stock animal/monster noises, or would have recycled voice clips from Mario Super Sluggers. I'd be okay with either. I'm not too picky with the voice, so long as we get K. Rool in the end.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've voted! King K, Roy, Impa, Inkling, Wonder Red and Bandanna Dee were my picks.

And it's nice to see that King K. Rool is doing so well. I think the only competition he has now is Dixie Kong, but I think it's K. Rool's fan base that's giving him the leading edge. We have to keep going to see our King in Smash Bros!

Never played a game with King Rool in it and he's prob my most wanted.
dont know k rool? that dont matter for us,you have a good eye for noticing true leadership and fashion.

our king is so kool that you dont even have to know the guy to realize that hes perfect smash materiel.

hes joining us even if he likes it or not.

now get to swabbing the deck,and spreading support for our king. do a good job and we'll promote you from klaptrap to kritter.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Statements like these make no sense to me. :U
While I can't claim to know what reason @ Magikarpow Magikarpow has for declaring K. Rool as his most wanted, I don't find it unusual. There are plenty of reasons people may support characters even if they haven't played their games. Perhaps they know a bit about the character and really like them, perhaps they think that the character has a lot of potential as a Smash character and would be fun to play as, or perhaps they recognize that the character in question is beloved by many and wish to see that character included for their sake. To put it simply, I don't think it's necessary to play a character's game to support the character.

While I can't claim to know what reason @ Magikarpow Magikarpow has for declaring K. Rool as his most wanted, I don't find it unusual. There are plenty of reasons people may support characters even if they haven't played their games. Perhaps they know a bit about the character and really like them, perhaps they think that the character has a lot of potential as a Smash character and would be fun to play as, or perhaps they recognize that the character in question is beloved by many and wish to see that character included for their sake. To put it simply, I don't think it's necessary to play a character's game to support the character.

you forgot to add "maybe they thought he looked cool,and did a bit of research on him" a few months back somebody became "one of us" and they said something along the lines of liking how he looked. and i dont blame them,k rool does look very cool. when he makes it in as dlc,captain falcon and zss will have competition for the title of "hottest" character.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Statements like these make no sense to me. :U
I've never played Xenoblade and don't really know all the much about it, but Shulk has become one of my favorite characters by accent alone. I just knew I had to main him as soon as I heard that voice.

Some people might just really like crocodiles. Or what about the big number of Takamaru supporters that never played his game?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It just feels really unnatural to me. :p

hey when the character you want is as awsome as k rool is this stuff will happen. dont pick at it,just be happy that people like this character.

either that or...........oh god i know whats going on,someones making a bunch of throwaway accounts just to become one of us and add more names to the support list........and its bkupa666!!!! his thirst for more k rool supporters cant be quinched,so now hes resorted to counterfitting signatures, were onto you kupa. :)

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How many people have never touched a Japanese-only game, yet are adamant that those characters are the ones that should be the utmost priority for Sakurai to add?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've only played Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 and was never a huge fan of K. Rool even then. It's the community that opened my eyes to how intriguing he is as a character and made me want to support him. We've all gots our quirks and our foibles. The important thing is that we're here together and united under a common cause!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The only Rare DKC game I've played more than a bit of is DKC2, and I'm more a fan of the arcade DK and Retro DKC games than anything Rare made.

K. Rool has still been my second most-wanted newcomer for years. I desire characters based on their individual merit, not my personal affection for them, though sometimes these go hand-in-hand. And despite not being the biggest DKC fan, K. Rool was a part of my childhood due to pop cultural osmosis and my being exposed to the series by my older relatives. If I had never played a Donkey Kong game, I think I'd still be an ardent supporter of the King.

How many people have never touched a Japanese-only game, yet are adamant that those characters are the ones that should be the utmost priority for Sakurai to add?
yup im guilty,i have never played a kirby game,kid icarus game,star fox game,fire emblem game,animal crossing game,earthbound game,wario game,robotic operating buddy game,wii fit game,xenoblade game,and not even a megaman game. but yet i think all of those characters are worthy and should get priority.

infact smash bros introduced me to all of these new series that i have never heard of.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
My desire to see certain characters added usually comes from a combination of liking the character, thinking they'd be an interesting and fun character to play as, and wanting certain representation that I feel is important (which sometimes gets mixed in with "it would mean great things for their franchise if they were included").

K. Rool hits all of those, which is why he's been my most wanted character since the games were announced.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Fair point, that man.

I've never played Mother 3, yet I love Lucas; I've never played Splatoon, yet I support Inkling. I like characters for what they are, not how popular they are or how good the game is. I'm a devoted Kid Icarus fan, for example, and I think the series has more than enough characters in the game; and while I'm not a particularly impressive fan of Donkey Kong, I like K. Rool for K. Rool and think he'd be a great character to add in the game!

StormC

Smash Hero
Kid Icarus: Uprising is probably my favorite game of the 10s so far, yet I can't help but feel myself disappointed in the overrepresentation it got in Smash.

I like Metroid, I'm not a huge megafan, but I do enjoy the series well enough, yet I would much rather have had Ridley than any Kid Icarus character after Pit (including Palutena, who was in my top five requests for the game). I also think it's a crime that Samurai Goroh wasn't playable in Brawl despite my F-Zero fandom only really pertaining to F-Zero X, and that attempting to shoehorn Black Shadow in as the second F-Zero character is just trying to patch a leaky hole in a ship with a band-aid, especially considering F-Zero is all but dead as a franchise currently.

But now that people outside of the Donkey Kong fanbase are starting to acknowledge how much the franchise has been shortchanged despite its sales, history and popularity, it leaves me hopeful that we'll get at least one more character as DLC. Sakurai would blatantly have to go out of his way at this point to NOT add K. Rool or Dixie.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Any ideas for K. Rool PotD? I'm stumped.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Any ideas for K. Rool PotD? I'm stumped.
One I imagined awhile ago was the reveal of a Gangplank Galleon stage, with a caption like:

"A new stage! The Gangplank Galleon was the scene of the climactic final battle in Donkey Kong Country. But where's the ship's captain?"

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Just checked in on the DLC poll, and it looks like our King's doi-
"Can't let you do that, voters!":wolf:
Wolf's doing extremely well, almost as good as King K. Rool! 0.0 Man, sometimes cutting clones is so bittersweet, and here's my reaction to his cut: "NWWIWIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!" Not that I've a problem with Wolf, and I do think it'd be nice to bring him back.

StormC

Smash Hero
A POTD? The Kremling King deserves nothing short of a full blown reveal trailer.

"A new stage! The Gangplank Galleon was the scene of the climactic final battle in Donkey Kong Country. But where's the ship's captain?"
Pyrosphere Electric Boogaloo.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A POTD? The Kremling King deserves nothing short of a full blown reveal trailer.

Pyrosphere Electric Boogaloo.
Someone's been doing Miiverse PotD to spread the word of K. Rool more. I'm not sure exactly who it was, but I guess it might've been Raxxel. Either that or he's just relaying the message.

Top Bottom