• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Steelia

Smash Champion
I've written my letter to Nintendo of America advocating for K. Rool, and will be sending it off tomorrow.

Here's the text:

Dear Nintendo of America,

I have been an avid fan of the Donkey Kong Country series since I was 6, and of the Smash Bros. series since I was ten. Over a decade later, I'm still adoring the series, but for years now, I've had one question ringing in my mind: where is DK's main villain, K. Rool? As a fellow artist, I completely understand the need to innovate from past games, as well as the desire to stand out from their previous developers. I'm writing to request that my all-time favorite game character be made a part of these innovations and developments, rather than a casualty of them.

In particular, Retro's new DKC games and Namco Bandai's new Smash games offer brilliant opportunities to showcase K. Rool's creative potential in the roles of final boss and playable fighter, respectively. His insanity, his deviousness, his bumbling nature and his dedication to exterminating Kongs sets K. Rool apart as a unique, compelling Nintendo villain, one whose presence could easily drive fans wild with hype in a climactic new DKC. Likewise, his personality and gadgets, including a blunderbuss capable of firing speed-altering and control-reversing clouds, would lend to one of the most stand-out Smash movesets to date, one that would render him a particularly profitable DLC fighter. Of note, the latter could be developed to promote the former, before or after its announcement, or even to promote the upcoming releases of the DKC and Donkey Kong Land trilogies on the Wii U VC.

My first exposure to gaming was playing K. Rool's original boss fight, the Christmas of 1999, and I've grown to love the character more and more with each passing year, despite (and because of, partly) his recent neglect. As of late, I've spoken with hundreds of fans across the Internet who love the character like I do. Sadly, the sense I've gotten is that there is an influential minority at Nintendo of Japan who would prefer that these great characters, K. Rool and his Kremling Krew, gather dust on a shelf, rather than to return them to the glory of their former roles. On behalf of me and every other K. Rool fan out there, please prove me wrong in that assessment of why he's been missing in action. Please, do what you do best, take this great character and use your many creative minds to make him even greater. Please, bring back this missing piece of my childhood, the one that turned me into an unapologetic lifelong Nintendo fan. Be it through a playable Smash DLC or DKC final boss appearance, I want to relive the joy and awe I experienced when a charismatic crocodile crash-landed on the Gangplank Galleon to do battle with my Kongs, at least one more time.

Sincerely, [name]

P.S. If you haven't already done so, check out what other K. Rool fans are saying at kremlingkampaign.wordpress.com and at @BringBackKRool on Twitter.
It may be too little too late, but something I really wish I'd done with my letter was add a little flare to it, a bit of pizzazz. Maybe add like K. Rool's pixelated face next to my signature, or a faded desaturated image. Kind of like....

kroolsample.png

I understand if you'd prefer to keep it professional though :p

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
The confirmation of DLC is great news alone for K. Rool fans, but the fact that it was Mewtwo is an even greater omen. Mewtwo's return proves that fan demand can and will be directly catered to when it comes to DLC. After all, there is no safer bet than selling something that already has established popularity. Anything else is a risk. So who's right behind Mewtwo and Ridley in overall popularity? K. Rool.

Oh and if there's a supporter list go ahead and put me on it. Now that Mewtwo has finally been confirmed, King K. Rool has inherited the title of my most desired character.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The confirmation of DLC is great news alone for K. Rool fans, but the fact that it was Mewtwo is an even greater omen. Mewtwo's return proves that fan demand can and will be directly catered to when it comes to DLC. After all, when it comes to DLC there is no safer bet than selling something that already has established popularity. Anything else is a risk. So who's right behind Mewtwo and Ridley in overall popularity? K. Rool.

Oh and if there's a supporter list go ahead and put me on it. Now that Mewtwo has finally been confirmed, King K. Rool has inherited the title of my most desired character.
It's tradition, so welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to be so late to this thread, but I think it would be neat to see K. Rool (and Dixie) in Smash.

For a long time my only real exposure to the DK series was playing bits and pieces of Donkey Kong Country/DK 64 and watching the DKC TV show. I decided to pick up Tropical Freeze recently and really enjoyed it though, especially Dave Wise's music. I think the franticness of TF (and DKR from what I have seen) really sets it apart from a lot of other platformers out there and I appreciated the challenge even if I am a nublet who is pretty bad at games.

Anyway, I'm glad that there is going to be at least one new DK stage on the Wii U and I hope it's not the only new DK thing in that game. I learned from the relatively limited DK representation in the 3DS version to not get my hopes up too high (I'm still kind of confused about the whole Chunky AT thing to be honest), but I do think more DK stuff is possible.

By the way, I've been lurking here for a bit, so no "One of Us" is necessary. I think I've listened to that song plenty of times already.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Sorry to be so late to this thread, but I think it would be neat to see K. Rool (and Dixie) in Smash.

For a long time my only real exposure to the DK series was playing bits and pieces of Donkey Kong Country/DK 64 and watching the DKC TV show. I decided to pick up Tropical Freeze recently and really enjoyed it though, especially Dave Wise's music. I think the franticness of TF (and DKR from what I have seen) really sets it apart from a lot of other platformers out there and I appreciated the challenge even if I am a nublet who is pretty bad at games.

Anyway, I'm glad that there is going to be at least one new DK stage on the Wii U and I hope it's not the only new DK thing in that game. I learned from the relatively limited DK representation in the 3DS version to not get my hopes up too high (I'm still kind of confused about the whole Chunky AT thing to be honest), but I do think more DK stuff is possible.

By the way, I've been lurking here for a bit, so no "One of Us" is necessary. I think I've listened to that song plenty of times already.
Welcome aboard!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It may be too little too late, but something I really wish I'd done with my letter was add a little flare to it, a bit of pizzazz. Maybe add like K. Rool's pixelated face next to my signature, or a faded desaturated image. Kind of like....

View attachment 28423

I understand if you'd prefer to keep it professional though :p
I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I actually wrote the letter by hand so as to put a more personal touch on it. I'll aim for this sort of backdrop if I ever end up sending another.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Another latecomer here. With Mewtwo confirmed as well as Ridley and Dark Samus deconfirmed K.rool is definitely my most wanted character now.

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
I think you BKuppa could do a Facebook site, because there are a lot of people using this social network, specially I'm a huge Nintendo fan and for example almost all my friends who play Nintendo have Facebook, it's very important to spread the information there, and the fans of Nintendo are very many on this site, you could consider it, it's massive!

By the way, Nintendo does a lot of advertising there, for example I look almost everything about Nintendo there and then the same site directs you to the main site, for example Nintendo Life, GoNintendo, Kotaku, or any important videogame or whatever site.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember when I signed up for Nintendo life six years ago (it was under a different name and had separate websites for Virtual Console, WiiWare, and for general Nintendo stuff) and it was a lot more obscure than it is now. It sure has grown ever since I started to visit.

But more on-topic, I really want Donkey Kong Country games to come to North America Virtual Console already. I've got a lot of things I want to buy this holiday season and I definitely intend on getting all three DKC games (especially since I no longer have a SNES... maybe I'll get a Super Famicom someday).

Last edited by a moderator:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I think you BKuppa could do a Facebook site, because there are a lot of people using this social network, specially I'm a huge Nintendo fan and for example almost all my friends who play Nintendo have Facebook, it's very important to spread the information there, and the fans of Nintendo are very many on this site, you could consider it, it's massive!

By the way, Nintendo does a lot of advertising there, for example I look almost everything about Nintendo there and then the same site directs you to the main site, for example Nintendo Life, GoNintendo, Kotaku, or any important videogame or whatever site.
I agree, I actually have more friends on fb too than I do on twitter who like dk and Nintendo as well. I honestly think an fb page would get a lot more people to join quicker than twitter.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Despite liking Jungle Hijinx's overall look and gimmick, I'm still very disappointed in regards to DK stages. Instead of two new ones, we get one recycled from the N64 Smash Bros, and the return of possibly the worst stage in Smash Bros. history. If recycling content from Melee is so hard because it's old, they must have built Kongo Jungle from the ground up. Why not just make a new stage?

Though I'll take a recycled Kongo Jungle or 75m over a Gangplank Galleon with boss K. Rool any day. Been thinking about Ridley (That sounds awkward), and the very possibility of K. Rool being shoved into what is easily the worst sort of role in the game is just cringeworthy to think about.

This thinking about Ridley's unfortunate fate has put me in a cynical mood (big shock), and it's brought to the forefront of my mind something that is extremely unpleasant to think about. Is K. Rool really popular enough outside of Smash Bros to warrant a spot? Looking at the various characters added over the years, most of them are well-known or popular beyond their Smash Bros. fans. Sure, there's the oddball like Wii Fit Trainer or ROB, but most of the story-driven franchises have the characters that are most well known, even by general audiences. Could that be why DK seems so underrepresented? Because beyond DK and Diddy, there aren't enough truly "iconic" characters? Don't want to think about this, but it's an unpleasant idea that keeps coming up.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Despite liking Jungle Hijinx's overall look and gimmick, I'm still very disappointed in regards to DK stages. Instead of two new ones, we get one recycled from the N64 Smash Bros, and the return of possibly the worst stage in Smash Bros. history. If recycling content from Melee is so hard because it's old, they must have built Kongo Jungle from the ground up. Why not just make a new stage?

Though I'll take a recycled Kongo Jungle or 75m over a Gangplank Galleon with boss K. Rool any day. Been thinking about Ridley (That sounds awkward), and the very possibility of K. Rool being shoved into what is easily the worst sort of role in the game is just cringeworthy to think about.

This thinking about Ridley's unfortunate fate has put me in a cynical mood (big shock), and it's brought to the forefront of my mind something that is extremely unpleasant to think about. Is K. Rool really popular enough outside of Smash Bros to warrant a spot? Looking at the various characters added over the years, most of them are well-known or popular beyond their Smash Bros. fans. Sure, there's the oddball like Wii Fit Trainer or ROB, but most of the story-driven franchises have the characters that are most well known, even by general audiences. Could that be why DK seems so underrepresented? Because beyond DK and Diddy, there aren't enough truly "iconic" characters? Don't want to think about this, but it's an unpleasant idea that keeps coming up.
I agree with you, man. I was at least expecting a Tropical Freeze stage for Smash U, but we ended up with Jungle Hijinx. Though, im not too upset by it, but did they really have to bring back 75m? I would take Rumble Falls over that any day. However, since we're getting character DLC we could potentially get stage DLC. Imagine this, what if we ended up getting new trailers to go with the new characters? I think it'd be pretty boss if we got a trailer of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong fighting K.Rool on the Gangplank Galleon with both him and the stage announced as the DLC. It's a stretch, but i could see it happen if he does manage to be DLC.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman

I wouldn't call Ridley's fate bad by any means. Sure he's a boss but he is definitely the most fleshed out of them all and looks MUCH better than Yellow Devil. I mean, he even has a falling animation. I believe the only reason he didn't make the cut was because again of 3ds limitations and boss was the next best thing they could do with him an still use the material they had already made for him as a playable character. Maybe it's just me but if Ridley could not be playable then I'm glad he's a boss. It's better than being an AT.

That thought on K Rool being not iconic enough to warrant himself a spot on the roster is kinda daunting. K Rool's "iconic-ness" is still fairly healthy but it certainly has waned over the years due to him not appearing in so long. However, if he does appear soon, I'd say his iconic-ness has been fully restored and by that point there is no reason why he shouldn't be included.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Oh.... please.... You guys should just give up on him. His glory days are over. Just because Mewtwo is coming back that doesn't mean that KKR is also coming back. Mewtwo plays in a way other league than the croc. Mewtwo was always been a part of his own franchise and he's highly request by fans. Also Mewtwo has way more fans than him. Every Pokémon has more fans than KKR.

Just forget the green lizard king and support characters, who deserve it more: Toad, Toadette, Paper Mario, Dr. Luigi, Toon-Zelda, Tetra, Waddle Dee, Phosphora etc. all of them are way more important for Nintendo, than him.

Also, if Nintendo doesn't acre about him, why should you?

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Oh.... please.... You guys should just give up on him. His glory days are over. Just because Mewtwo is coming back that doesn't mean that KKR is also coming back. Mewtwo plays in a way other league than the croc. Mewtwo was always been a part of his own franchise and he's highly request by fans. Also Mewtwo has way more fans than him. Every Pokémon has more fans than KKR.

Just forget the green lizard king and support characters, who deserve it more: Toad, Toadette, Paper Mario, Dr. Luigi, Toon-Zelda, Tetra, Waddle Dee, Phosphora etc. all of them are way more important for Nintendo, than him.

Also, if Nintendo doesn't acre about him, why should you?
The reason why we don't agree with you.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Come on, seriously, Jungle Hijinx is already the most satisfying DK stage in a long time, what more do you want?
I have to agree with you,I mean,It's better to have 1 good stage than have 2 half-asses stages.
I think it's okay to request new things,but in terms of "stage representation",DK universe is in the same level of the kirby one.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Ignore Rattle Kalimba guys.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Come on, seriously, Jungle Hijinx is already the most satisfying DK stage in a long time, what more do you want?
Here here!

I'd actually be willing to vouch for it being competitively viable... as long as people don't try to be campy.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I feel we should run through something Kutthroats. When a troll comes along, click his username. You should be given a menu. One of the options is to ignore. Click it. All of his posts will disappear, as well as the ones that quote him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ Rattle-Kalimba Rattle-Kalimba You were already banned for trolling in this thread once. Don't push your luck again.

@ Xzsmmc Xzsmmc I sometimes think the same thing, then I remember that the vast majority of this game's newcomers exist.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I gotta say, outta all the characters wanted for DLC, I'm really happy about the fan outcry for K. Rool. I think this group is doing the most out of any other group to reach Nintendo about his inclusion. Makes me feel other character groups have been lazing about.

In fact, why aren't other character threads doing as much as you guys?!

Anyway, add me to the Kutthroats. I dunno why I haven't been added yet. K. Rool is my 2nd most wanted villain to join the ranks of Smash.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Oh this is out in the public again? Huh, well then. Guess I'm back, back again~.

There's always a chance I suppose, I've never been one to discredit it. With the bomb drop that was Mewtwo, certainly interesting. I mean hell, Dr. Mario came back (my personal most desired veteran) so anything goes now that DLC has been at least confirmed for now

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

I don't think how iconic something is matters very much to the dev team. I wouldn't call rosaluma, greninja, Lucina, robin, palutena, and dark pit iconic by any means. Most have hardly even existed for more than 3 years.

I think the biggest thing standing in the kings way is how much the big n will actually listen to our requests. And after mewtwo and Ridley, I'm conflicted on that standpoint.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I sometimes think the same thing, then I remember that the vast majority of this game's newcomers exist.
I don't think how iconic something is matters very much to the dev team. I wouldn't call rosaluma, greninja, Lucina, robin, palutena, and dark pit iconic by any means. Most have hardly even existed for more than 3 years.
True, though Rosalina is super popular for some reason, and Dark Pit was most likely an easy last minute addition. But yeah, characters like Palutena and Robin are much like K. Rool. Popular in their own series, somewhat unknown outside of it.[/user]

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I gotta say, outta all the characters wanted for DLC, I'm really happy about the fan outcry for K. Rool. I think this group is doing the most out of any other group to reach Nintendo about his inclusion. Makes me feel other character groups have been lazing about.

In fact, why aren't other character threads doing as much as you guys?!

Anyway, add me to the Kutthroats. I dunno why I haven't been added yet. K. Rool is my 2nd most wanted villain to join the ranks of Smash.
Have an initiation video!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Just the fact that Michael Kelbaugh followed the Twitter account makes me curious for King K Rool. I'd definitely like to see him.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Honestly, King K. Rool is the most iconic Nintendo character not playable in Smash Bros. yet. No, its not Dixie Kong, although yes she is fairly iconic, K. Rool is way more iconic than her; as a huge Dixie fan I ought to know, considering her 8 year absense following DKC3 and considering the fact that between DKC3 and Tropical Freeze, she only had cameo roles, while K. Rool continued to play major roles in DK64 and the Climber games.

True, though Rosalina is super popular for some reason, and Dark Pit was most likely an easy last minute addition. But yeah, characters like Palutena and Robin are much like K. Rool. Popular in their own series, somewhat unknown outside of it.[/user]
Not at all. Robin only started becoming semi-popular by fans who wanted a Mage from FE instead of Chrom, the go-to character. K. Rool is a well-known character to Nintendo as a whole. You can't compare Palutena, who appeared in two games 20 years ago and one game recently, to King K. Rool, who appeared constantly in various DK games from 1994 all the way to 2008. These situations are completely and totally incomparable.

Even Rosalina is incomparable, she only appeared within the past 10 years. K. Rool is a character whose status was unquestionable until he was left out of Returns, and even then, Returns was just a blip on the radar since fans were just craving for another DK platformer again. When K. Rool was left out a second time, that's what really got people talking, although admittedly probably less so due to the fact that they brought Dixie and Funky back as well.

Which just tells me they're slowly adding back the main cast again.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It literally just now dawned on me that all the unconfirmed character threads reopened thanks to Mewtwo DLC. I'm an idiot. :facepalm:

But anyway, with the other hype two outta the way, for better and worse, our king's in prime position! Onward Kutthroats!

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Can you guys at least tell my 10 good reasons, and responsible ones, why KKR should be a part of Nintendo's biggest All-Stars? Than for me, he isn't I also supported KKR for many years, but now I finally woke up and can see, that he is not a real part of the big Nintendo-Icons like Mario, DK or Pit. Here are my Top 10 reasons, why KKR can not been seen as a real important All-Star.

1. He's not a real Nintendo-Character. Unlike the other Kongs he and the Kremlings where created for Battletoads, which makes him more a Rareware-Character than a Nintendo Character.

2. KKR has more the style of an western character. Everything awesome about him like his deep voice, the costume changes, the wacky ideas and his unique boss fights are all creations of western people. The new SSB shows us, that Sakurai wants to target more the japanese audience for this game.

3. Every fighting style of him is all ready used by an other character. Cannon balls = Bowser Jr., heavy reptile king = Bowser, bitting = Wario, Tail attack = Charizard etc.

4. He wasn't in a game for over seven years and he's last, really big important role, was in DK64. Also Sakurai want's to concentrate on future characters, who will have games and role in those games. That's also one of the reasons why Shulk i here, so he can promote the new upcoming Xenoblade.

5. No kid knows, who he is.

6. Nintendo really want's to forget him. That's the reason, why they want to use new enemies for DKC.

7. Before KKR will get in, they first have to use Dixie Kong, because Nintendo uses her way more, than KKR.

8. the new enemies in DKCR and DKCTF are not only current and better known by the younger audience, that also have the look and the fighting style of him. So why use an old character if you have two current characters with all most the same style?

9. The argument, that he's one of Nintendo's greatest and iconic villains is actually not really true. Team Rocket are also iconic, so is Andross, and Ridley, and Porky, Medusa, Hades, Dark Knight etc. and they also are not playable. So why choose KKR over them?

10. I do not think, that he really has a huge fanbase. Chrom from FE:A, Taodette, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, Viridri from KI:U, those are characters with way more fans. So why choose KKR over characters with bigger fanbases?

Last edited:

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
I think the bigger mystery is why every one of your posts, from the entire forum, is only in this thread.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Guys, just a heads-up, there's going to be a Smash DLC popularity poll released in the near future.

You want a chance to showcase K. Rool's continuing popularity? You're about to get it, so be sure to vote in his favor on it (especially since you're allowed multiple choices, as far as I know).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Guys, just a heads-up, there's going to be a Smash DLC popularity poll released in the near future.

You want a chance to showcase K. Rool's continuing popularity? You're about to get it, so be sure to vote in his favor on it (especially since you're allowed multiple choices, as far as I know).
Officially made by Nintendo?
Or just by a fan?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Where's the popularity poll going to show up?

EDIT: This is the prime thing to tweet about. I'd certainly retweet it, and I'd vote K. Rool and Isaac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom