• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I also enjoyed the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Not every DK game has to be a DKC style platformer, you know.

Of course, the DKC games constitute the "core" DK games, like the Mario platformers, but these can happily exist as spin-offs

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The Mario vs. DKs are relatively inoffensive Lemmings expies, though I really don't like the liberties they take with DK's character in terms of making him a belligerent jerk. Which is why, in my headcanon, that commercial hypnotizes DK into raiding the factory. Also, the series is now called 'Mario and DK' for whatever reason...maybe Nintendo doesn't want to portray DK as the antagonist anymore now that Returns has shown him as unabashedly heroic?

I remember people theorizing pre-Brawl that DK would have had a Trophy Gun in the SSE had Diddy not been playable. That definitely won't happen now, especially not if K. Rool showed up.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
The Mario vs. DKs are relatively inoffensive Lemmings expies, though I really don't like the liberties they take with DK's character in terms of making him a belligerent jerk. Which is why, in my headcanon, that commercial hypnotizes DK into raiding the factory. Also, the series is now called 'Mario and DK' for whatever reason...maybe Nintendo doesn't want to portray DK as the antagonist anymore now that Returns has shown him as unabashedly heroic?

I remember people theorizing pre-Brawl that DK would have had a Trophy Gun in the SSE had Diddy not been playable. That definitely won't happen now, especially not if K. Rool showed up.

Mario and DK is a spin off from Mario vs DK.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree very much with BKupa on DK's character in the Mario vs DK games. He's a complete **** in those games. And at least Metroid never had to deal with bad spin offs. Honestly, the only games I felt where decent till Returns came around where King of Swing, Jungle Climber and Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even bad Metroid spinoffs would've been taken more positively than Other M though, sadly. Other than that I pretty much agree.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Metroid Pinball and Hunters where at least true to the main series. At least, as far as I know.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On a serious note, I don't think K. Rool would be revealed before Diddy Kong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not seeing how people are expecting this either. Honestly, even if we already had Diddy, I'd expect we'd even see Dixie before King K.Rool getting a reveal.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Pretty sure were at least going to see Diddy before K. Rool. Diddy and PT are my picks for next Vets revealed anyway, but well see.

Edit: Still wanna know where my ****in Little Mac is at!

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'm not seeing how people are expecting this either. Honestly, even if we already had Diddy, I'd expect we'd even see Dixie before King K.Rool getting a reveal.

See, that's the beauty of Sakurai making Smash. He always goes for the unexpected. I'm not worried. ;)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Pretty sure were at least going to see Diddy before K. Rool. Diddy and PT are my picks for next Vets revealed anyway, but well see.

Edit: Still wanna know where my ****in Little Mac is at!
The leak said he'd be revealed at E3...looks like we've got quite a ways to go until then. :troll:

Diddy should definitely be shown before K. Rool, but I don't know why anyone would think Dixie would, too. A case can at least made to have K. Rool as a starter, like Dedede was, whereas having three Kongs on the starting roster, one of whom may be a Luigified version of another, seems odd based on the precedent of those characters being hidden.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Of course, the DKC games constitute the "core" DK games, like the Mario platformers, but these can happily exist as spin-offs
Yep, that's how it's supposed to be done. However, the DK franchise didn't have its core games while the spin-offs were going on, the spin-offs were all that there was, which was the frustrating part of it all.
Metroid Pinball and Hunters where at least true to the main series. At least, as far as I know.
Hunters didn't feel like Metroid at all if you ask me, there was nothing Metroid about it, they just slammed Samus into some random space shooter plot and that was it. Heck, there aren't even any Metroids in it, at least Metroid Prime 2 had Metroid Prime as Dark Samus. And the pinball game... well to be honest I never played it, but I heard that Ridley is in it, so it's probably more faithful towards the main series than Hunters was.

I'm not sure why, but I have a knacking feeling that if both Ridley and K. Rool are in the game, then one of them is going to be an unlockable. Both villains, both reptile creatures, all that stuff. However, K. Rool has more popularity build around him seeing that he actually has demand in the west, so he'd probably be the smartest choice to use to advertise the game and create hype with out of those two. Best case scenario is that they announce both at once with some kind of awesome super villain duo trailer.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
My two cents on the K. Rool/Dixie reveal thing:

I think that if K. Rool is the sole DK newcomer, he may very well be a secret character. I just doubt they'd make DK, Diddy, and K. Rool all starters, and I definitely don't see Diddy becoming unlockable just for the sake of ameliorating that.

If, however, Dixie is also included, I think K. Rool has a good shot of being revealed before her. His reveal would be much more hype-worthy, and make the starting cast of the DK series more diverse. Dixie would then of course end up being unlockable.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My "gut feeling" is that, out of the Big Four newcomers, K. Rool and Ridley will be starters, while Mega Man and Mewtwo will be unlockables. The former two are massive hype vehicles that can promote the game before release, while the latter two have the precedent of being unlockable as a third party and a recent gen. Pokemon, respectively.

Bonus points if K. Roodley's reveal trailer is that rap battle we conceptualized a few months back.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Bonus points if K. Roodley's reveal trailer is that rap battle we conceptualized a few months back.

I would buy everything Sakurai ever made after that. Even if one of the things he makes is a game about flying turds that come out of the TV and kick me in the face. Every single one.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As much as I love and adore, and would prefer to have, K. Rool, I wouldn't mind an appearance by Tong at all. He's the only Tiki I actually cared for.
Tiki Tong does look cool, partly due to mimicking K. Rool's bulging eye, though I'd appreciate him much more if he weren't Nintendo's 4829th hand boss. Either way, I hope he (and Hades) aren't too spoilerish to be considered as bosses this time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Tiki Tong does look cool, partly due to mimicking K. Rool's bulging eye, though I'd appreciate him much more if he weren't Nintendo's 4829th hand boss. Either way, I hope he (and Hades) aren't too spoilerish to be considered as bosses this time.
Considering Porky as a boss literally spoiled Mother 3's biggest surprise and its only connection to Earthbound for the whole world I don't think adding Tiki Tong or Hades is controversial at all (though I still think the Natural Killer Cyborg would have been a better choice in every way.) I'd rather have Tiki Tong than Wam Bam Rock, that's for sure, but he'll likely still end up as a trophy only because, well, you know, Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

Groose

Smash Champion

Sheik.

/discussion

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
After mentioning those examples, yeah, I guess spoilers aren't too much of a deterrent. Granted, some of those games were released longer before Smash than DKCR was before this game, but I'm sure that's not a big deal.

I just hope DK gets a boss, period. I have seen people propose K. Rool as a boss should he not be playable, which makes sense, since it looks like Sakurai tried to win over Ridley fans by promoting him from AT to two bosses when he learned of his popularity a little too late. I do think it would be bizarre to have K. Rool towering over the likes of Bowser and DK after spending so much time conceptualizing him around their size, but crazier things have happened.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Am I the only person who wants Turret Tusk as a boss? Tiki Tong would be cool to, but he's pretty much, as Kupa said, just another "big hands" boss like Master Hand and Crazy Hand (and I'd rather have Andross if we get another one of those).

I think K. Rool could work as a boss if they sized him up to his DK64 sized and tossed him into that boxing ring stage. Wouldn't like it, but it'd be something. I'd actually be pleasantly surprised if they pulled something like Very Gnawty or Krow.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Bosses?

What about Army Dillo? :awesome:

Edit: They could have a bunch of DKC bosses come back in the form of the magikoopa Kamek swooping by and magically growing them... turning a Gnawty into the Very Gnawty etc.

Seems like a good Smash mash up.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tiki Tong could be a boss.

Provided Andross isn't one.

:rolleyes:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Tiki Tong could be a boss.

Provided Andross isn't one.

:rolleyes:
Provided Master/Crazy Hand stop existing.

SECRETLY, Tiki Tong actually is Andross. AND Master Hand/Crazy Hand. In fact, Tiki Tong is actually the puppet master behind all of Nintendo's most glorious villains and the next Smash game will reveal this secret that they've kept for decades.

Dun dun dunnnnnn.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If only that was true. Still better than a banana stealing K.Rool / Andross hybrid.

Groose

Smash Champion
You got to hand it to Nintendo... they come up with original bosses.

At the very least, their bosses are better than my puns...

Anywho, I'm currently trying to compile a list of bosses I'd like to see implemented. Donkey Kong is a franchise that I'm just not seeing instant boss potential from.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Anywho, I'm currently trying to compile a list of bosses I'd like to see implemented. Donkey Kong is a franchise that I'm just not seeing instant boss potential from.
I'm curious to see your boss list. If When King K. Rool gets in, I want to see either Tiki Tong or Army Dillo. Maybe even the new leader of the Vikings if it is not too late for him.

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm curious to see your boss list. If When King K. Rool gets in, I want to see either Tiki Tong or Army Dillo. Maybe even the new leader of the Vikings if it is not too late for him.

I'm picking one boss per series. For some, it's blatantly obvious who to choose; for others, it's difficult. I currently don't have one for DK.

Since it's an entire list of characters, I'm trying to make the list itself balanced. That means some big and bulky bosses, some quick and punishing ones.

I'll probably have it done in a day or two.

Hit this thread up, Groose. My idea for Donkey Kong was Giant/Fire Necky's. I figured they were iconic enough without being Kremlins or Tikis.

http://smashboards.com/threads/if-there-was-a-boss-for-every-series.338104/
Thank you kindly. I'm pondering things over now.

Still... maybe I should replay some Kong games just in case...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One possible idea would be to have all seven of the Boss Tikis as a joint boss of sorts. That way, you bring in DKCR's baddie group without adding another hands boss.

Anyways, the first "leak" featuring K. Rool in quite some time has come up on GameFAQs, and though it has all but been proven false at this point, the fact that his name came up is reason enough to post it here, for completion's sake.

This leaker posted that Little Mac and Dixie were included, then, upon prompting, posted that people would be disappointed with the final roster size and some of the characters not on it. A different leaker, the guy who had previously leaked Mewtwo and series-specific Break the Targets stages, said he was correct on Little Mac and Dixie, but that he had doubts as to his legitimacy nonetheless. To gauge his legitimacy, leaker two asked leaker one whether Board the Platforms is returning, whether K. Rool is in the game (and if so, which persona he's using), and what the Fire Emblem newcomer is. Leaker one said that Ridley, Snake and Jigglypuff are out, Dog/Hunter and Paper Mario are in, and K. Rool is prioritized lowly due to "not bringing much unique." Leaker two deemed this "fake :)."

Their tiff seems to be still going on right now. EDIT: Leaker two just responded to my alt. and claimed K. Rool is a boss character, and that leaker one claiming he's "low priority" is proof of his obliviousness.

Top Bottom