• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Seriously, what's up with the potential (and very likely) reveal of a new DKC game by Retro being so hated?.. Metroid will have a new entry eventually (and I'm betting they will announce this E3), but by another softhouse, I'm sure;

And I've reading absurds of "I hope they do something else, would be a shame of a talented studio wasting time with it".. WHAT?.. How, magically, a masterpiece like Tropical Freeze is wasting talent? Don't say for me that people are pretending that a 3D game is by nature more complex or difficult (or worthy, whatever they say) to do than a 2.5D platform.. specially considering the amount of effort put in games like Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends.

--and my God, Retro made 3 Metroids, and two of them were in the same system;.. and they can't do 3 DKs? (and coincidentally, in the same circumstances, having two in the same system); give me a break; =_=

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
People viewed DKCR as a neat one-off nostalgic throwback, like Punch-Out. Nobody wants more kiddy 2D platformers.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Don't say me that people are pretending that a 3D game is by nature more complex or difficult (or worthy, whatever they say) to do than a 2.5D platform.. specially considering the amount of effort put in games like Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends.
People viewed DKCR as a neat one-off nostalgic throwback, like Punch-Out. Nobody wants more kiddy 2D platformers.
Sadly, it all too often seems that the faulty notion still exists that "going 3D" is what all games must attain or "make the leap to", to somehow be considered worthy, rather than an increase in understanding that these things are merely different formats that a game can take.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

K. Rool not being Smash DLC would be the most disappointing outcome possible. But it wouldn't make me turn on the game.
This. The things that would are very unlikely to happen even if we only get six DLC characters. King K. Rool's debut in Smash, however, would solidify Smash Wii U as my favorite game in the franchise and given how highly I hold Smash 64 personally, that is saying a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Yeah, that definitely seems off to me in that regard. FE awakening alone has sold almost 2 million.
This data is from March 2014. Awakening is the only game in the series to sell over a million units. Furthermore, the SSB4 roster was reportedly decided on in 2012, way before Awakening reached that sales milestone. Even if the game bombed, Robin would still be playable in Smash. Not that I have a problem with that, but the series has received a very generous amount of representation.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I try to stay away from that thought process because I enjoy this game so much as it is. The way I look at it is if he doesn't make it then I can only hope and root for him in the next Donkey Kong game / Sma5h. I've grown to love the dk games A TON in these past few months after playing dk64 AND NOT TO MENTION BEING HERE so anything DK related really hypes me up.
Yh i know but this games getting pretty boring...too many characters that i dont care for...i only player Ganon and Bowser...plus all i play is For Glory because i aint got no one else to play with...and we all know how bad For Glory can be...so many spammers & trolls...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sadly, it all too often seems that the faulty notion still exists that "going 3D" is what all games must attain or "make the leap to", to somehow be considered worthy, rather than an increase in understanding that these things are merely different formats that a game can take.
It seems like 3D Games are being usherd out for a while now...i doubt we will see a Super mario 64 or Sunshine Mario game again..sigh..
Or a DK64 like game...
And if worse of all maybe no more 3D metroid...

Japan still loves 2D games and they always sell so i guess its just safer to 2D everything...
Sucks..
I will kill for a propa 3D mario or DK game again..

And no... the Galaxy series sucked hard...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Shipment data as March 2014 (in millions):

Mario: 498.30
Pokémon: 235.00
Wii Sports/Fit/Play/Party/Music: 201.60
Zelda: 78.26
Donkey Kong: 56.49
Brain Training: 43.38
Kirby: 30.89
Nintendogs: 27.46
Animal Crossing: 25.94
Smash Bros: 25.10
Wario: 18.05
Yoshi: 17.85
Metroid: 13.84
Star Fox: 8.81
Luigi’s Mansion: 7.30
Tomodachi: 5.61
F-Zero: 5.00
Punch-Out!!: 4.16
Style Boutique: 4.01
Game & Watch Gallery: 3.44
Kid Icarus: 2.99
Golden Sun: 2.77
Pikmin: 2.71
Pilotwings: 2.26

There are many things we can extrapolate from this data.

- Donkey Kong is the fourth best selling Nintendo character IP, yet the amount of content in Smash doesn't reflect that
- Wario is very popular and yet Wario Land hasn't even been acknowledged by Sakurai
- Fire Emblem doesn't even chart, yet it has four "reps" in Smash (to be fair, one is a clone)
- Brain Training and Golden Sun are the only franchises on this list without a character or stage

Aside from DK, I'd say that Wario has definitely suffered the most. It almost feels like Sakurai has been trolling me personally.
This makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. Sorry, Fire Emblem DEFINITELY has more sales than Golden Sun. Where did you get this list?

That said, on a game-by-game average, Fire Emblem has less sales than Golden Sun, but its definitely got more total. Awakening is 1.5m alone. All past games are below 1m, but I believe FE7 (with Lyn) has around 700k. So this list is definitely inaccurate. FE has too many games for it to not chart.

Also, Golden Sun is the only one on this list that charts but has no character, stage, or AT in Smash 4. :D

EDIT: Even if it doesn't include Awakening's full sales, FE should still chart. By March 2014, Awakening sold at least 1m. The rest of the series is easily at least another 1m.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Seriously, what's up with the potential (and very likely) reveal of a new DKC game by Retro being so hated?.. Metroid will have a new entry eventually (and I'm betting they will announce this E3), but by another softhouse, I'm sure;

And I've reading absurds of "I hope they do something else, would be a shame of a talented studio wasting time with it".. WHAT?.. How, magically, a masterpiece like Tropical Freeze is wasting talent? Don't say me that people are pretending that a 3D game is by nature more complex or difficult (or worthy, whatever they say) to do than a 2.5D platform.. specially considering the amount of effort put in games like Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends.

--and my God, Retro made 3 Metroids, and two of them were in the same system;.. and they can't do 3 DKs? (and coincidentally, in the same circumstances, having two in the same system); give me a break; =_=
not really hate i just believe that people think the last metroid game came out 5 years ago when the last DK game came out a 1 year ago.I think in many people eye's that's not fair.Im all for a new DK game that features k rool,dixie,and the gang but i think its fair to let tropical freeze atleast have a year or 2 stand on its on two feet before getting another one so quickly

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Why do you people hate on Fire Emblem so much? Sure, it has 4 characters, but it has nothing else! It has the same number of stages as DK, no Smash run enemies, barely any new trophies, no new assist trophies, etc. Kid Icarus is the real franchise you should be pointing your finger at. And Fire Emblem has sold close to 10 mil units.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226

Smash Bros: 825.31
Shantae: 822.37
Metroid: 743.84
Wario: 641.05
Donkey Kong: 256.49
F-Zero: 225.00
Wii Sports/Fit/Play/Party/Music: 101.60
Pilotwings: 82.26
Tomodachi: 51.61
Mario: 48.30
Pokémon: 35.00
Game & Watch Gallery: 23.44
Fire Emblem: 21.18
Nintendogs: 17.46
Golden Sun: 12.77
Pikmin: 12.71
Luigi’s Mansion: 6.30
Punch-Out!!: 4.06
Brain Training: 3.38
Style Boutique: 1.01
Kid Icarus: 0.99
Kirby: 0.89
Zelda: 0.26

Source: my ass.

StormC

Smash Hero
Why do you people hate on Fire Emblem so much? Sure, it has 4 characters, but it has nothing else! It has the same number of stages as DK, no Smash run enemies, barely any new trophies, no new assist trophies, etc. Kid Icarus is the real franchise you should be pointing your finger at. And Fire Emblem has sold close to 10 mil units.
It has two new stages between 3DS and Wii U. DK has only one. And it still has one AT with DK having 0.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
not really hate i just believe that people think the last metroid game came out 5 years ago when the last DK game came out a 1 year ago.I think in many people eye's that's not fair.Im all for a new DK game that features k rool,dixie,and the gang but i think its fair to let tropical freeze atleast have a year or 2 stand on its on two feet before getting another one so quickly
The thing is that's not on DK that Metroid isn't getting another game, that's on Nintendo. They have other studios that can pick it up other then Retro and still do a good job with it, but they aren't tapping into them. DK shouldn't get bile just because another series is getting shafted, especially since not too long ago it was also on hard times due to the Rare buyout.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, Metroid fans should count themselves lucky. DK spent over a decade being shoved around between developers.

plrichard

Smash Cadet
So question for everyone. Would you rather have a DKCR3 or have Retro go in a more DK64 direction? While DKCR and DKC:TF were both incredible, I can't help but long for a game like DK64, a severely underrated game, in my opinion.

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
I've been perusing the interwebs for hints of what Retro's next game is and the recent news of the Diddy Kong trademark. Nothing is set in stone yet and the pre E3 meltdown/butthurt is GLORIOUS! Everyone gather round and get some popcorn, like, right now!

Not gonna believe anything until the big day arrives but what would you all rather prefer? DKCR3 with Kremlings or a Diddy Kong Racing 2....with Kremlings? I'd go just about either.

StormC

Smash Hero
Priority list for me (assuming they'd all have Kremlings) is DKCR3, DKR2, and DK642.

I don't think DK64 has held up particularly well, personally.

Troykv

Smash Master
This makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. Sorry, Fire Emblem DEFINITELY has more sales than Golden Sun. Where did you get this list?

That said, on a game-by-game average, Fire Emblem has less sales than Golden Sun, but its definitely got more total. Awakening is 1.5m alone. All past games are below 1m, but I believe FE7 (with Lyn) has around 700k. So this list is definitely inaccurate. FE has too many games for it to not chart.

Also, Golden Sun is the only one on this list that charts but has no character, stage, or AT in Smash 4. :D

EDIT: Even if it doesn't include Awakening's full sales, FE should still chart. By March 2014, Awakening sold at least 1m. The rest of the series is easily at least another 1m.
Mystery of Emblem (+500,000 sales) + Holy War (+400,000) is already almost a 1m, and with Binding Blade (~350,000) and FE7 (~700,000 with international sales) already are 2 millons.

Sometimes I think that people have the idea that the only Fire Emblem game with decent sales is Awakening... yeah, is the best selling, but isn't all the franchise.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I've been perusing the interwebs for hints of what Retro's next game is and the recent news of the Diddy Kong trademark. Nothing is set in stone yet and the pre E3 meltdown/butthurt is GLORIOUS! Everyone gather round and get some popcorn, like, right now!

Not gonna believe anything until the big day arrives but what would you all rather prefer? DKCR3 with Kremlings or a Diddy Kong Racing 2....with Kremlings? I'd go just about either.
Either is fine by me, with a slight lean towards Diddy Kong Racing 2 as I support Nintendo's non-Mario Kart racing games and want to see all of them return in some form or another (I particularly want a Kirby Air Ride follow-up, on that note).

plrichard

Smash Cadet
Priority list for me (assuming they'd all have Kremlings) is DKCR3, DKR2, and DK642.

I don't think DK64 has held up particularly well, personally.
My opinion probably stems from the lack of a proper 3D Mario game (not that 3D World wasn't amazing). Plus, boxing K. Rool was just outstanding.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

What if they registered as "Diddy Kong" because is done with a subtitle related to him, just like "Diddy's Kong Quest"? Can you guys imagine? the return of the Kremlings with the Pirate theme? :3

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Mystery of Emblem (+500,000 sales) + Holy War (+400,000) is already almost a 1m, and with Binding Blade (~350,000) and FE7 (~700,000 with international sales) already are 2 millons.

Sometimes I think that people have the idea that the only Fire Emblem game with decent sales is Awakening... yeah, is the best selling, but isn't all the franchise.
That's why I said "at least". I'm pretty sure FE is around 3-4m. I mean, every GS game sold as good as (Dark Dawn) if not better than almost every FE game (except Awakening; GS1 is the only one that sold better than Awakening), but FE has far, far more games. There's no way FE has less sales than Awakening.

That said, those numbers he listed are pretty accurate from online sources. He just forgot FE and Rhythm Heaven (RH2 sold better than the entire GS franchise, but RH1/3 didn't do anywhere close).

Troykv

Smash Master
That's why I said "at least". I'm pretty sure FE is around 3-4m. I mean, every GS game sold as good as (Dark Dawn) if not better than almost every FE game (except Awakening; GS1 is the only one that sold better than Awakening), but FE has far, far more games. There's no way FE has less sales than Awakening.

That said, those numbers he listed are pretty accurate from online sources. He just forgot FE and Rhythm Heaven (RH2 sold better than the entire GS franchise, but RH1/3 didn't do anywhere close).
Oh lol, I forgot to put in the post "Exactly, for example:" xD

Burruni

Smash Hero

Wait, really? RH DS really outsold fever?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

Smash Bros: 825.31
Shantae: 822.37
Metroid: 743.84
Wario: 641.05
Donkey Kong: 256.49
F-Zero: 225.00
Wii Sports/Fit/Play/Party/Music: 101.60
Pilotwings: 82.26
Tomodachi: 51.61
Mario: 48.30
Pokémon: 35.00
Game & Watch Gallery: 23.44
Fire Emblem: 21.18
Nintendogs: 17.46
Golden Sun: 12.77
Pikmin: 12.71
Luigi’s Mansion: 6.30
Punch-Out!!: 4.06
Brain Training: 3.38
Style Boutique: 1.01
Kid Icarus: 0.99
Kirby: 0.89
Zelda: 0.26

Source: my ***.
If you're trying to be a smartass by insinuating that I made the numbers up, feel free to look them up yourself. The only numbers that may not be accurate are from the Fire Emblem series. Taking Awakening's recent success into the account, the franchise is probably at about >3.50 million worldwide, which is still very low for a franchise that has eleven entries. I'm glad the sales have improved.

Parades

Smash Rookie
Why do you people hate on Fire Emblem so much? Sure, it has 4 characters
You answered your own question there, at least for me personally. Plus there's a very plausible looking potential 5th rep on the horizon. Such a niche series having as many reps as Zelda and 2-3 more than series like DK, Kirby, and Metroid is absurd and unnecessary and damnit i'm still going to buy Roy if he comes back

Burruni

Smash Hero
You answered your own question there, at least for me personally. Plus there's a very plausible looking potential 5th rep on the horizon. Such a niche series having as many reps as Zelda and 2-3 more than series like DK, Kirby, and Metroid is absurd and unnecessary and damnit i'm still going to buy Roy if he comes back
Character variety and potential.
Lucina & Roy shouldn't have been on the Smash 4 roster, imo while King K. and arguably Dixie should.
Metroid is fine where it is. 2 playable fighters, one of 3 stage bosses for the game, 3 Assist Trophies, and a variety of Smash Run enemies. Considering how little was done with the series between Brawl and Smash 4 I certainly say it's.

DK and WarioLand are the two big series that I would say are under-representated by overall content.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like the series with only one character all have varying circumstances and issues with adding more characters.

Metroid: I don't believe you could currently justify adding a Metroid character that isn't Ridley or Dark Samus. Guess who already have active roles in the game. Also Zero Suit Samus, but semantics.
Yoshi: Kamek would be neat, but is much a Mario character as a "Yoshi" character and it's arguable if Yoshi is even more than a subseries despite Smash's branding. And then we have Kamek in Mushroom Kingdom U. Nobody else really makes sense, or is already a Mario character.
F-Zero: Hasn't had a game in over a decade. Its best option is an AT. Otherwise, it's a racing game with the individual characters overall lacking unique attributes.
Wario: None of the Ware characters really jump out as being second banana to Wario. Captain Syrup is too inconsistently used to really be feasible.
Pikmin: Alph as a clone would have definitely been a possibility. I'd have preferred that to Dark Pit or Dr. Mario for sure. Otherwise, not a lot going for it.
Retro/Third Parties: Should go without saying.

This isn't addressing series that got added to Smash 4 and are unlikely to get more than one character as of now.

No Wario Land stage or trophies is still ridiculous, though.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
If you're trying to be a smartass by insinuating that I made the numbers up, feel free to look them up yourself. The only numbers that may not be accurate are from the Fire Emblem series. Taking Awakening's recent success into the account, the franchise is probably at about >3.50 million worldwide, which is still very low for a franchise that has eleven entries. I'm glad the sales have improved.
1) I would never try to be an ass
2) I don't have to try to be smart
3) I never even suspected you of making up the numbers
4) I just felt like modifying the list for "the lelz"
5) Vote Shantae
6) ???
7) :troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, FE's sales are abysmal, but they should've been in the list. Rhythm Heaven should be in that list as well. Both RH and Golden Sun have amazing sales for so few games in each franchise.

I think that's probably why we won't see Advance Wars representation in Smash. FE sales are abysmal for having eleven games; Advance Wars are even worse. Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven, on the other hand, both have fewer games but have far better sales per game. Its ridiculous how GS is only about 1m away from topping FE's total sales, and its got three games versus FE's eleven (and two remakes).

Of course, though, DKC is way better them all of them. DKC is the only franchise I can see getting two DLC characters, but that's only if we get like 9-10 total characters as DLC.

Top Bottom