• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I honestly heavily doubt we will see K. Rool at E3, but we could see something that leads to him.

I'm thinking Roy+Ryu+Wolf right now sounds about right, plus a reveal of like Ryu's stage from Street Fighter II, Dreamland from Smash 64, Rainbow Cruise from Melee, and New Pork City from Brawl, all four in both Smash 3DS and in Wii U.

We may get some "hint" at another character or stage though. I can't imagine K. Rool is anywhere but at the top 1-3 of the newcomer list of the poll though (especially when you take out the "won't happens" like Goku, Naruto, and Banjo [sadly]).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think its extremely likely K. Rool could appear at E3, and that, IMO, is the most important thing. Obviously, we also want K. Rool in Smash Bros., that's more iffy. I think even that's possible, though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't wait for E3 to be over.
Ugh yeah, get the speculation for E3 out of the way so we can be disappointed or happy, and move on. The wait for E3 is extremely slow and tedious and interferes with me getting my work done. (That's also part of the reason I took next week off, there's NO WAY I'll be able to focus during E3 week.)

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm just thankful that E3 is happening just before I leave on a ten day trip. I did not want to find out about DKR2 reading news updates on my phone.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think its extremely likely K. Rool could appear at E3, and that, IMO, is the most important thing. Obviously, we also want K. Rool in Smash Bros., that's more iffy. I think even that's possible, though.
I still am doubtful of that, but I'm not doubtful of K. Rool.

I would prefer they reveal characters other than Roy and Ryu (namely Wolf) so the "competition" clears up a bit for K. Rool and my other wanted characters. Not that I don't want those 3 characters; I do. I just want a more "open" field for some characters with lesser chances, and to make it obvious who's next (like make K. Rool the next Little Mac/Mega Man/Pac-Man/Palutena for Smash 4, Diddy/Wario/Sonic/Olimar/Dedede in Brawl, or Zelda/Peach/Bowser/Mewtwo in Melee).
I can't wait for E3 to be over.
I can.

I don't think you guys understand how important making fun of CGI only trailers with no gameplay, making fun of awful AI, and insulting the term "dynamic weather" is important to me. It's literally what E3 is to me at this point: the best chance I have to be snarky at the gaming industry, lmao.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I can wait. Other than the new Starfox, I pretty much have no expectations from any company. Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised though.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Seriously, what's up with the potential (and very likely) reveal of a new DKC game by Retro being so hated?.. Metroid will have a new entry eventually (and I'm betting they will announce this E3), but by another softhouse, I'm sure;

And I've reading absurds of "I hope they do something else, would be a shame of a talented studio wasting time with it".. WHAT?.. How, magically, a masterpiece like Tropical Freeze is wasting talent? Don't say for me that people are pretending that a 3D game is by nature more complex or difficult (or worthy, whatever they say) to do than a 2.5D platform.. specially considering the amount of effort put in games like Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends.

--and my God, Retro made 3 Metroids, and two of them were in the same system;.. and they can't do 3 DKs? (and coincidentally, in the same circumstances, having two in the same system); give me a break; =_=
Metroid got 3 games before they closed up shop.

Not expecting Donkey Kong, a far bigger franchise to milk more money of, to get the same treatment is absurd.

I won't understand it either. But then, I'm a person who doesn't want Retro working on Metroid anyway nor do I believe Retro will work on a Metroid game in the future.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Retro COULD do a third DKC game right now, but I don't think it'd be a 2D platformer. Rather I think its more likely they'd jump ship to do a 3D platformer instead if they're working on it right now. Otherwise, I think we're getting Diddy Kong Racing and something not related to DK or Metroid, probably another franchise revival.

Its funny but Metroid is kinda in need of a revival again, but Retro already revived it once. Why should they have to do it again? Let someone else revive it this time, and have Retro do something else. I kinda feel like it'd be need if Retro did a Wii U Golden Sun game for Camelot, though Camelot is in a perfectly fine position to do a new GS, so that's unlikely unless Camelot want to do something else. And Camelot themselves actually expressed interest in doing a 3D DK game as well...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Maybe it's the allure of 90s tradition to have three DKCs followed by one all-encompassing 3D game, maybe it's the desire to see Tikis, Snowmads and Kremlings, along with a mix of Retro's worlds from Returns/TF/DKCR3 in 3D, but I think we're going to see one more DKCR3 before a 3D DK hits. That being said, Yooka-Laylee's smashing success, not to mention whatever reboot Banjo eventually gets, will absolutely prove to be an incentive for the return of 3D DK sooner rather than later.

The critics moping about how aged and awful DK64 is from the 00s have taken a backseat to the fans who recognize its flaws, but also the vast potential the genre offers the DK series.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Maybe it's the allure of 90s tradition to have three DKCs followed by one all-encompassing 3D game, maybe it's the desire to see Tikis, Snowmads and Kremlings, along with a mix of Retro's worlds from Returns/TF/DKCR3 in 3D, but I think we're going to see one more DKCR3 before a 3D DK hits. That being said, Yooka-Laylee's smashing success, not to mention whatever reboot Banjo eventually gets, will absolutely prove to be an incentive for the return of 3D DK sooner rather than later.
Possible. The only issue I have is, again, the comment that Retro's new game is built on a new engine. So in that case, if they are doing DKCR3 right now, its got a brand new engine, why bother making a new engine when the old one was just fine? That's why I think if it IS DKCR3 (which I still have my doubts), it'd literally be "DKC 3D"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If you don't mind me asking, do you have the link to that? That's the first I'm hearing of Retro's game using a new engine.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think we're gonna get another DKC game, but it will feature both 2D and 3D gameplay.

I like the idea of it being called "Donkey Kong Country Forever." Returns is a nice indicator it is back, but "Forever" means it will never stop being a thing. I do also think there's a chance we get 2 Retro Studios games.

Perhaps Retro Studios is FINALLY big enough to co-develop a Metroid and Donkey Kong Country game.

===

Also, didn't mention this earlier, but I got DK64 on the Wii U about 2 months ago and 101%'d it within a week. 'Twas fun, and the annoying parts (aka the poorly designed mini-games) were much easier than I remember them (it helps I got good RNG). It feels a little barren still, but it's core design still holds up really well. The worlds are also fun to goof around in still. The Factory, Caverns, Fungi Forrest, Creepy Castle, and of course Final K. Rool Boss Battles were all still really fun fights.

The ease of playing it on the gamepad was also pretty great, but I do have one gripe about it... The fact the right control stick acts as the C-buttons was really annoying. I can't tell you how many times I pushed C up when I meant to push C left.
I can wait. Other than the new Starfox, I pretty much have no expectations from any company. Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised though.
You never know. At least with Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Smash Bros, and whatever Retro Studios is making we have guarantees. Kamina may also very well be working on a game, as he retweeted the E3 Nintendo Direct news.

Even then, you can laugh at Sony (who already admitted to no PS4 exclusives being released for the rest of the year), Microsoft gloat about Halo 5 after the terribly coded Master Chief Collection nightmare and them ignoring all fan polls (they're turning the series into a bad Call of Duty after fans told them they don't want that), whatever is up with Gear of War 4, and in general whatever nightmares Ubisoft chooses to unleash in their conference.

Trust me, if you're cynical and ready to laugh, nothing tops the hilariously awful parts of E3. It's such a fun viewing experience!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Isn't Retro big enough to focus on two projects now?

I mean DKC and Metroid could both come at E3.

Think about that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Think about that.
Yes, as of last year they've got around 100 employees. DKC and Metroid could both be announced at E3.

I don't think they will, though. Retro was interested in doing a new Metroid game, but stated "maybe eventually." That kinda denies the notion that they were working on it at that time. (Plus they're hard at working finishing Diddy Kong Racing lol).

A new DKC is possible, I just think its more likely they'd work on something new for a change.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Think about that.
Now where did I see that posted before?
I do also think there's a chance we get 2 Retro Studios games.

Perhaps Retro Studios is FINALLY big enough to co-develop a Metroid and Donkey Kong Country game.
Oh yeah, from myself 6 minutes beforehand. :awesome: :chuckle: :p

As for making both at once though, I doubt they'd be on the same cycle. Maybe DKC6 would be on pace for late this year/early next year, while Metroid would be another 8 months after that.

Oh, and that also leaves out the likely other super obvious Nintendo Direct reveal no one is talking about: Animal Crossing Wii U. It's strange I don't see Nintendo fans talking about it considering how good and how big of a deal New Leaf was.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Has Nintendo ever trademark characters' names before? Eternal Darkness has been trademarked several times and Nintendo has done nothing with it so far (crosses fingers). However, this seems like a different case.

I am a huge Diddy fan so I going to list what this could mean:

1. Diddy Kong Racing 2- I feel like if the King comes back, I would like for him to return to a mainline DK game (or Smash). I want all of the Kongs witness his glorious return.

2. Diddy's Kong Quest 2- Give me the same graphical style of the old DKCs, Dixie tags along, and maybe add a little Contra style shooting level with Jetpac action.

3. Call of Diddy or Diddy Kong Prime- A first person action adventure title

4. Year of Diddy

5. Its nothing. :(

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Has Nintendo ever trademark characters' names before? Eternal Darkness has been trademarked several times and Nintendo has done nothing with it so far (crosses fingers). However, this seems like a different case.

1. Diddy Kong Racing 2- I feel like if the King comes back, I would like for him to return to a mainline DK game (or Smash). I want all of the Kongs witness his glorious return.

2. Diddy's Kong Quest 2- Give me the same graphical style of the old DKCs, Dixie tags along, and maybe add a little Contra style shooting level with Jetpac action.

4. Year of Diddy

I'm pretty sure major/main characters of their central franchises are trademarked (Donkey Kong is trademarked, for example), though that's not the case with, say, Link, since its a generic name. Link is the player avatar, essentially, while Zelda is the face of the series.

The oddity is, Diddy is a major character and has starred in a few games, but he's DK's partner and not the main hero of the series. It makes little sense to do this unless they want to give Diddy a starring role again. That's my opinion on the matter. It could be mean nothing, but I doubt it means nothing.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anything a part of an IP is legally owned by the company that owns the IP without question for what? Like 80-100 years?

So yeah, that includes everything in Eternal Darkness (which Nintendo owns in full) and the entire Donkey Kong franchise.
That was before you edited your post. -_-

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Anything a part of an IP is legally owned by the company that owns the IP without question for what? Like 80-100 years?

So yeah, that includes everything in Eternal Darkness (which Nintendo owns in full) and the entire Donkey Kong franchise.

That is the case, but you can officially file if you want to reinforce that claim. The thing is, Diddy Kong is not an IP. He's a specific character, and although he's important to Donkey Kong, to Nintendo as a whole he's just DK's partner.

I can't see any reason to file this claim unless Diddy Kong was planned to be in a starring role in some fashion.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I think we're gonna get another DKC game, but it will feature both 2D and 3D gameplay.

I like the idea of it being called "Donkey Kong Country Forever."
Starring:
Val Kilmer as Donkey Kong
Chris O'Donnel as Diddy Kong
Tommy Lee Jones as King K Rool
Nicole Kidman as Candy Kong
and Jim Carrey as Funky Komg

Directed by Joel Schumaker

D

Deleted member

I know this sounds random but I'm I the only one here piss off that the mii are getting alternate costumes instead of the nintendo characters? like dry bowser,masked dedede,tanooki mario,the pikachu costumes from X/Y,boxing DK,sport outfit princess peach,Cosmic Spirit rosalina and the rest I mean what the point in giving the mii characters costume if you can't go online with them it just a waste of time that should go to the other nintendo characters not the mii IMO.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

4. Year of Diddy

I'm with you bruh. I want Diddy's old role to be established back more than anything in the DKC series... Him being a mere 'power up Kong' doesn't bode well with me at all... I want the old tag teams back, Diddy starring his own DKC again, a Diddy & Dixie spin-off, just give me SOMETHING!

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
.Everyone is so hyped about E3
I'm more hyped than everyone.
Why?
Because, with all the awesome games that could be annouced, the Nintendo's annoucement is on my birthday (and I get Splatoon for it)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I know this sounds random but I'm I the only one here piss off that the mii are getting alternate costumes instead of the nintendo characters? like dry bowser,masked dedede,tanooki mario,the pikachu costumes from X/Y,boxing DK,sport outfit princess peach,Cosmic Spirit rosalina and the rest I mean what the point in giving the mii characters costume if you can't go online with them it just a waste of time that should go to the other nintendo characters not the mii IMO.
Mii Fighters are so much easier to make costumes for. People not working on Smash Wii U or 3DS can easily make it on their own, so they probably outsource a lot of that kind of costume work.

Still, it would be nice to see a few alternate characters and outfits. I would personally like to see everyone get at least 10 total outfits. Additionally, I think it would be cool if Chrom was an alternate character for Lucina (I don't see how that's a problem given his model is already in the game).

Seriously though, if we get K. Rool, Kaptain and King are a must. No debate. Maybe they could have 2 alternate outfits of Classic King K. Rool, Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein, and a brand new (remade) King K. Rool outfit each.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Man, I'm just imagining DKCR3 with David Wise's music playing as you go around stomping on the kremlings again with new gen graphics, would be pure gold.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never played Tropical Freeze yet, I missed out a lot... Whenever I get a Wii U, I'll be sure to get both Smash and Tropical Freeze. Since I'll have to wait for a GameCube Controller adaptar, I'll probalby just stick with playing Tropical Freeze first.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Just a heads up/reminder:

FischHead @ Deviantart has started a Kremling Kompendium, illustrating every Kremling ever!

So far:
#1. Kritter

#2. Klaptrap

Check out their work by clicking these links. Give 'em views, favorites, and comments if you have a DA. Reward our fellow Kremling fans!!! Fischhead agreed to let me share the series with the group on Twitter, so watch for Kremling Kampaigner's RTs, too! Updates are usually on Thursday.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

FischHead @ Deviantart has started a Kremling Kompendium, illustrating every Kremling ever!

So far:
#1. Kritter

#2. Klaptrap

Check out their work by clicking these links. Give 'em views, favorites, and comments if you have a DA. Reward our fellow Kremling fans!!! Fischhead agreed to let me share the series with the group on Twitter, so watch for Kremling Kampaigner's RTs, too! Updates are usually on Thursday.
I saw that Kritter artwork, but I didn't realize it was someone drawing EVERY Kremling EVER. I've now started watching FischHead :D

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

So far:
#1. Kritter

#2. Klaptrap

These are amazing. We shout tweet this, @whoever is in charge of the Twitter account.

:231:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

So far:
#1. Kritter

#2. Klaptrap

>Using Diddy as meatshield

WHEN WILL THE HATE STOP!??

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think Retro COULD do a third DKC game right now, but I don't think it'd be a 2D platformer. Rather I think its more likely they'd jump ship to do a 3D platformer instead if they're working on it right now. Otherwise, I think we're getting Diddy Kong Racing and something not related to DK or Metroid, probably another franchise revival.

Its funny but Metroid is kinda in need of a revival again, but Retro already revived it once. Why should they have to do it again? Let someone else revive it this time, and have Retro do something else. I kinda feel like it'd be need if Retro did a Wii U Golden Sun game for Camelot, though Camelot is in a perfectly fine position to do a new GS, so that's unlikely unless Camelot want to do something else. And Camelot themselves actually expressed interest in doing a 3D DK game as well...
Ugh...no we all know what happend when some one else touched Metroid other than Retro.

And Another 3D Metroid game is all i care about as far as E3 and WiiU.
Well also Paper Mario U
Diddy Kong Racing U
Donkey Kong Country whatever but with Kremlings and K.Rool back.

Yes, as of last year they've got around 100 employees. DKC and Metroid could both be announced at E3.

I don't think they will, though. Retro was interested in doing a new Metroid game, but stated "maybe eventually." That kinda denies the notion that they were working on it at that time. (Plus they're hard at working finishing Diddy Kong Racing lol).

A new DKC is possible, I just think its more likely they'd work on something new for a change.
If they are working on it they would never tell us anyway they never do.

Remember GameFreak on remaking R/S?
'' it would be cool hoen is our favirote reigon''

And Nintendo on Remake of Majora?
Countless other stuff.

Expecially Sakurai on bringing mew2 back?
Were thinking about it.
Its not good for business .

They never tell unless its for real a No they will say No.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ugh...no we all know what happend when some one else touched Metroid other than Retro.

And Another 3D Metroid game is all i care about as far as E3 and WiiU.
Well also Paper Mario U
Diddy Kong Racing U
Donkey Kong Country whatever but with Kremlings and K.Rool back.
That wasn't because of Team Ninja but more because of Sakomoto. Retro shouldn't have to revive the exact same franchise.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think that in THIS E3 is more possible we be Rick Roll'd than K.Rooled...
Something keeps beneath my mind saying : NO DK for you in this E3!
Maybe because DKC:TF is kind of "new".

But in the end of the votation, K.Rool AND Dixie will rise.
Dixie looks like a future top tier character, and I bet K.Rool will be... fun to play!

Top Bottom