• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

1) How would you propose balancing genuine invisibility like that?
2) Why does it matter if DK64 doesn't contribute to B moves specifically? By the very nature of the boss battle the moves work better as tilts etc anyway. (Also I thought you were referencing invisibility from DKC2). So long as it's adequately represented overall I don't see the issue.
3) I don't personally want the blunderbuss to just fire a cannonball. I want it to fire a cannonball that can then be picked up and thrown as an item like it happened in DKC2 which is why I wouldn't put the gas as an alternative there.

Putting it in his dodges just seems the easiest way of getting it involved but without running the risk of being unnecessarily good in my opinion, but I'm open to the idea over the gas clouds if it could be put it in in a balanced way.
1). I personally don't care about how terrible or how op the move would be because it'd be referencing both of the DK64 and DKC2 boss battles, but pretty much what Bkupa said on top of the fact that this is a fat as hell croc with a huge hit box.
2). I didn't mean to imply that it'd be specifically referencing DK64, as invisibility is used in both DK64 and DKC 2 which is why I think it'd be right at home as a b move. I do agree that the majority of the tilts should be inspired by the DK64 boss fight, and I'd be very happy if it ended up that way seeing as though there really isn't anything else other than butt stomp, which I also agree would be a bad idea in his move set, and invisibility, which I feel should be added due to that fact it'd be referencing both fights and all the other reasons I mentioned before.
3). Like I mentioned in my previous post, there are multiple ways of going about the blunderbuss shots. I just don't want something to take up a b move that can easily be implemented into another. If invisibility isn't going to be implemented into a b move, I think it'd be a bit clunky and strange as a air dodge.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So guys, I am still very confident that K.Rool will make the Kut!
If he gets voted in, his moveset will hopefully involve plenty of projectiles. He'd be the perfect projectile-based heavy weight character!

Maybe something like this:

:GCB:: Crown Throw

Everyone seems to agree here: The King throwing his Krown is just too iconic not too have.

:GCR::GCB:: Blunderbus Fire charge

Strangely, I havn't seen this move suggested anywhere, yet. It makes perfect sense, though!
In DKC2, Kaptain K. Rool would use a fire burst from his gun to charge across the screen.
Should be chargable, the longer the charge, the farther K.Rool gooes.
Think of Ike's Side B, without stopping when hitting something.

:GCU::GCB:: KremKopter

Basically his Jetpack from DKC3. However, it shouldn't work like i.e. Villagers Balloons, so that you can freely move around.
I'd rather have it lift up K. Rool into the air quickly, damaging enemies that are slightly above him with the Kopter-blades

:GCD::GCB:: Spike Trap

OK, so this one is going to be K Rool's main draw.
The King will draw out his gun and drop a cannonball on the ground (can be charged for slightly faster distance).
After it hit the ground, spikes will extract from it. Characters touching the spike-ball will recieve damage and get disrupted slightly.

This move alone will allow K rool to keep a nice distance between him and his enemies, throwing his crown every once in a while. You can also try to throw opponents on to the spikes, forcing a mid-air jump which can be caught with an aerial or UpB.

So guys, I hope I did not go overboard here, what do you think? thinking about K Rool's moves is just so much fun!

D

Deleted member

Hey there! I know you on YouTube! You should know me under the same name and I'm part o the Vote for King K. Rool's Google + group.

Also as for that link, we've come to the conclusion that it's either:
- Five pre-planned characters and one character added due to the ballot
- Six pre-planned characters and more characters (however many) added due to the ballot.

Both are possible but most (myself included) think the second scenario is more likely.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Hey guys!.. Here's one more thing for our Kampaing!..

I made this with the help of @ SuperiorYoshi87 SuperiorYoshi87 and his amazing custom figure! ... Yep, a K. Rool Amiibo packaging to stir our imagination! =D.. looks nic- oooh.... well.. seems that's soldout now. :\/

XD.. hope you liked! =)
UGH! How I wish for this to be true. I'd give ANYTHING! Now i'm sad you've tortured me with this. He would look SOOO good in my collection.

If he gets voted in, his moveset will hopefully involve plenty of projectiles. He'd be the perfect projectile-based heavy weight character!

Everyone seems to agree here: The King throwing his Krown is just too iconic not too have.

Strangely, I havn't seen this move suggested anywhere, yet. It makes perfect sense, though!
In DKC2, Kaptain K. Rool would use a fire burst from his gun to charge across the screen.

Basically his Jetpack from DKC3. However, it shouldn't work like i.e. Villagers Balloons, so that you can freely move around.
I'd rather have it lift up K. Rool into the air quickly, damaging enemies that are slightly above him with the Kopter-blades

The King will draw out his gun and drop a cannonball on the ground (can be charged for slightly faster distance).
After it hit the ground, spikes will extract from it. Characters touching the spike-ball will recieve damage and get disrupted slightly.

This move alone will allow K rool to keep a nice distance between him and his enemies, throwing his crown every once in a while. You can also try to throw opponents on to the spikes, forcing a mid-air jump which can be caught with an aerial or UpB.

So guys, I hope I did not go overboard here, what do you think? thinking about K Rool's moves is just so much fun!
I think that the "charge" that he does in DKC2 could also be done as a dash attack.

I'd love for his moveset to be able to incorporate dropping maximum 2 spiked cannonballs, which are on screen for a limited amount of time(think of that spiny ball item, similar to that) which are then able to be sucked towards KKR(using his BB as a grab/ special move? Grab might be too messy) by the BB and flung in various directions, hitting anyone in the way. That would be pretty cool and out there, but not sure if that would be doable.

B Blunderbuss "Suck"
Side B Crown Toss
Up B Copter
Down B Cannonball (press B again to drop them and while travelling and spikes appear when they touch the ground)

Up Smash Kopter propeller extension
Down Smash Belly Flop/ Drops Cannballs from both sides(Like DKC1)/ Lays down 2 electrical traps for each button press then on the 3rd time releases an electric jolt b/w the 2 traps. Think Snake in Brawl, something similar.

Forward Smash Strikes with BB/Drops a cannonball out of BB

Dash Blunder buss "charge"
Up Tilt Uppercut w gloves
Down Tilt Tail Swish?

Thats just off the top of my head, so many possibilities and crafty variations!

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
B: Kannonball.

-King K. Rool fires a non-spiked Kannonball.
-When it touches the ground, it changes in a spiked ball and acts as a trap.
-When a spikeball is on the ground, this move turns in a vacuum that sucks in the spikeball, enemies and other items.

Side B Krown

Up B Butt Bounce

Down B Poison Kloud

Some aerial moves use HeliKrocter
DSmash uses Eleckrockution

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

So his side (B) will work like Bowser J.r side smash?

Also has anyone thought that for one of his (B) moves he could throw a klaptrap that will walk about possibly a chance to let out a red klaptrap that moves faster and abit stronger?
Think about Bowser J.r mechakoopa.

Too much Borrowing from bowser j.r?
Lol...just a thought...i think it would be kinda kool.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So his side (B) will work like Bowser J.r side smash?

Also has anyone thought that for one of his (B) moves he could throw a klaptrap that will walk about possibly a chance to let out a red klaptrap that moves faster and abit stronger?
Think about Bowser J.r mechakoopa.

Too much Borrowing from bowser j.r?
Lol...just a thought...i think it would be kinda kool.
Unique Down Tilt?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Donkey Kong 64 progress report for the night:
-Collected all of Donkey and Diddy Kong's Golden Bananas in Jungle Japes.
-Beat Army Dillo! (His Boss Theme is one DK Island Swing remix I wouldn't mind at all seeing as a DLC song... Even though everyone hates Island Swing remixes)
-Got the Bongos and Guitar from Candy Kong in Angry Aztec - Next to rescue the one without grace or style!

That said before I head off to bed, do you think we might see Lanky or Chunky return as playable characters for Donkey Kong Country Returns 3? Night Kutthroats!

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Why not use invisibility simply as a dodge? It could also work like it did in DKC2, but that would be exactly the same as Zelda's Up B...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How I want the Blunderbuss to work.

Press B to release a Kannonball. It flies in a straight line unless it hits something; then it falls to the ground and becomes spiky.
Holding B will charge the gun and propel you backwards, like in the boss fight.

I'll try to make a proper moveset once I fight K. Roolenstein.
--------------------------

Meanwhile, I'm playing DKC3. I remember not liking it much coming from DKC2, but I'm starting to enjoy it. The platforming is just as good, and the music while not as epic and foreboding as DKC2, is still soothing and pleasant.

Oh, and Cranky's reactions to losing the bonus game are hilarious. :laugh:

:231:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I don't understand why the Krown Toss is in so many K Rool movesets, yeah it's iconic to his DKC1 self but the move itself is so bland. We already have two Links throwing boomerangs...

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
UGH! How I wish for this to be true. I'd give ANYTHING! Now i'm sad you've tortured me with this. He would look SOOO good in my collection.
and besides of everything... expecting that K. Rool amiibo will unlock a Mii Skin for Mario Kart 8 as the others... Oh God! I'd change my main there (Iggy) just for race using that! :3

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I don't understand why the Krown Toss is in so many K Rool movesets, yeah it's iconic to his DKC1 self but the move itself is so bland. We already have two Links throwing boomerangs...
Krown Toss working just like Link's boomerang would be very unfitting though. The only thing in common between both moves is that it's a projectile that comes back to its original user, otherwise they are not comparable at all. Whereas Link's boomerang can be aimed and is used for spacing, the Krown Toss would fit much better as a primarily offensive move (high damage and/or knockback) but would also be harder to hit due to smaller hitbox and inability to aim. Not to mention K. Rool never moves in the original boss fight until he gets his krown back whereas in both Legend of Zelda and Smash it's something Link can do, so making K. Rool unable to move while waiting to get his krown back would be a very accurate representation of the move's origin and would potentially make it a high risk high reward attack.

I'm not saying K. Rool's Krown Toss is guaranteed to not work like Link's Boomerang if he gets into Smash, I'm just saying that it would be extremely stupid and downright unfitting if it happened. If done well then the only thing comparable between both moves would be that it's a projectile that comes back to its original user.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's iconic. Simple as that. There are some moves which you can't afford to NOT put in - like Mario's Fireballs, Sonic's Spin Dash or Bowser's Fire Breath. They are a part of the character's identity.

Other moves maybe better from a fighting game perspective, but if we're trying to portray him accurately, they should always be included, with adjustments if necessary.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Krown Toss working just like Link's boomerang would be very unfitting though. The only thing in common between both moves is that it's a projectile that comes back to its original user, otherwise they are not comparable at all. Whereas Link's boomerang can be aimed and is used for spacing, the Krown Toss would fit much better as a primarily offensive move (high damage and/or knockback) but would also be harder to hit due to smaller hitbox and inability to aim. Not to mention K. Rool never moves in the original boss fight until he gets his krown back whereas in both Legend of Zelda and Smash it's something Link can do, so making K. Rool unable to move while waiting to get his krown back would be a very accurate representation of the move's origin and would potentially make it a high risk high reward attack.

I'm not saying K. Rool's Krown Toss is guaranteed to not work like Link's Boomerang if he gets into Smash, I'm just saying that it would be extremely stupid and downright unfitting if it happened. If done well then the only thing comparable between both moves would be that it's a projectile that comes back to its original user.
To me, it seems like this is a move where the "high risk" part is too high for the reward part to ever come into play. Unless you're proposing an OHKO move or something. I mean, a move where your character throws a straight(aka predictable) and small hitbox while your large hurtbox(this is K Rool after all) is exposable seems like a move used at best for really casual parties and a highly situational move in the competitive sense.

So yeah, the main reason it'd have to be so similar to Link's Boomerang is simply so that it wouldn't be so terrible. It wasn't even that hard of a move to dodge in it's original game...
And I dunno, a "projectile that comes back to its original user" is pretty much what Link's Boomerang embodies. It's no surprise that a move with that same property would be compared, it's very fitting to do so.
It's iconic. Simple as that. There are some moves which you can't afford to NOT put in - like Mario's Fireballs, Sonic's Spin Dash or Bowser's Fire Breath. They are a part of the character's identity.

Other moves maybe better from a fighting game perspective, but if we're trying to portray him accurately, they should always be included, with adjustments if necessary.

I could understand that, if Mario's Fireballs, Sonic's Spin Dash or Bowser's Fire Breath were only in one or two games.
But the Krown Toss isn't really that comparable to them. If a move became "iconic" it'd have to be associated with that character heavily, an "icon" of that character, and in other words it'd definitely have to be a recurring attack if we're dealing with a recurring character(aka K Rool). Yet Krown Toss only appears in DKC1 and DK Land.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I could understand that, if Mario's Fireballs, Sonic's Spin Dash or Bowser's Fire Breath were only in one or two games.
But the Krown Toss isn't really that comparable to them. If a move became "iconic" it'd have to be associated with that character heavily, an "icon" of that character, and in other words it'd definitely have to be a recurring attack if we're dealing with a recurring character(aka K Rool). Yet Krown Toss only appears in DKC1 and DK Land.
You have a point. Thing is, K. Rool doesn't have that many game appearances. His number of canon boss appearances totals at 7 - DKC 1-3, DKL 1-3 and DK64.

Appearing in 2 out of 7 games isn't too shabby. Part of it's iconic-ness comes from it being his first attack in his first appearance, which should count for something. His ever-changing wardrobe limited the chance of the Krown Toss returning, to be honest.

That's why most movesets try to use one move from each game to fully represent his canonical appearances.
  • Krown Toss from DKC
  • The blunderbuss from DKC2
  • The propeller from DKC3.
  • Opinions are pretty divided for his Down B though.

Another reason for Krown Toss to be his Neutral B is to make for an easy Kirby copy ability.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, I just beat Brash the Bear's record in Riverside Race. The scene was priceless. :rotfl: I can now fully see why BKupa666 is so fond of him. :troll:

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
You have a point. Thing is, K. Rool doesn't have that many game appearances. His number of canon boss appearances totals at 7 - DKC 1-3, DKL 1-3 and DK64.

Appearing in 2 out of 7 games isn't too shabby. Part of it's iconic-ness comes from it being his first attack in his first appearance, which should count for something. His ever-changing wardrobe limited the chance of the Krown Toss returning, to be honest.

That's why most movesets try to use one move from each game to fully represent his canonical appearances.
  • Krown Toss from DKC
  • The blunderbuss from DKC2
  • The propeller from DKC3.
  • Opinions are pretty divided for his Down B though.

Another reason for Krown Toss to be his Neutral B is to make for an easy Kirby copy ability.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, I just beat Brash the Bear's record in Riverside Race. The scene was priceless. :rotfl: I can now fully see why BKupa666 is so fond of him. :troll:

Fair enough, though I will note that K Rool didn't have his Krown Toss in DK64, despite his wardrobe making it feasible.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
To me, it seems like this is a move where the "high risk" part is too high for the reward part to ever come into play. Unless you're proposing an OHKO move or something. I mean, a move where your character throws a straight(aka predictable) and small hitbox while your large hurtbox(this is K Rool after all) is exposable seems like a move used at best for really casual parties and a highly situational move in the competitive sense.

So yeah, the main reason it'd have to be so similar to Link's Boomerang is simply so that it wouldn't be so terrible. It wasn't even that hard of a move to dodge in it's original game...
And I dunno, a "projectile that comes back to its original user" is pretty much what Link's Boomerang embodies. It's no surprise that a move with that same property would be compared, it's very fitting to do so.
Personally I'd rather have a move being situational but unique and faithful to the source material than being cloned from another character's move with a single similar characteristic for the sake of being practical to use... not to mention I'm sure the move wouldn't suck as long as the projectile is fast enough. I agree it would often be risky and useless to use but there are not many ranged moves with a punishing role in Smash Bros. and thus it would give the move a truly unique niche.

And for "It wasn't even that hard of a move to dodge in it's original game" I'm sure a Link-like Boomerang attack would be harder to dodge than the Krown Toss as I imagine it anyway.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Personally I'd rather have a move being situational but unique and faithful to the source material than being cloned from another character's move with a single similar characteristic for the sake of being practical to use... not to mention I'm sure the move wouldn't suck as long as the projectile is fast enough. I agree it would often be risky and useless to use but there are not many ranged moves with a punishing role in Smash Bros. and thus it would give the move a truly unique niche.
Alright. I can respect that.

And for "It wasn't even that hard of a move to dodge in it's original game" I'm sure a Link-like Boomerang attack would be harder to dodge than the Krown Toss as I imagine it anyway.
I might not have clarified well enough, but I was referring to the Krown Toss in that quote rather than the boomerang. So I agree.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, there are more technically interesting moves to use than the Crown Toss, but it is pretty iconic...your first exposure to the character is him dropping down and tossing his crown at you. It's been suggested before that the move be relegated to his jab, rather than a Special, so there's more room in the latter category for the interesting moves while making it unique there as a projectile jab. One idea is that he could throw the crown slightly in front of himself for a single hit, then, if the player keeps tapping A, they can make the crown spin while traveling forward to push foes away.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
In general the crown toss idea would be one we'd have to think out of the box about. If K. Rool makes it I don't see him NOT having some way to toss his crown.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Hey there! I know you on YouTube! You should know me under the same name and I'm part o the Vote for King K. Rool's Google + group.

Also as for that link, we've come to the conclusion that it's either:
- Five pre-planned characters and one character added due to the ballot
- Six pre-planned characters and more characters (however many) added due to the ballot.

Both are possible but most (myself included) think the second scenario is more likely.
oh hey there lol i kinda of figured you were on smash boards. but yea i prefer the second one. I've heard also theta maybe we might get more than just one smash ballot character. At least like three. Also Im thinking only five right now. IF you haven't heard there is supposedly five extra slots on the bottom of the website where you see all the characters. Since Lucas is coming out in June, if he is going to appear right next to mewtwo on that empty slot, then probably we are most definitely getting five DLC characters. From my point of view. BUT I JUST HOPE ROY ISN'T COMING BACK. I RATHER HAVE WOLF THAN ROY

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pretty much. Come up with creative ways for the Krown Toss to work differently, but K. Rool pretty much HAS to have the krown toss as part of his arsenal. Its too iconic to just ignore.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
In general the crown toss idea would be one we'd have to think out of the box about. If K. Rool makes it I don't see him NOT having some way to toss his crown.
Unless they include Kaptain K Rool or even K Roolenstein as alts, in which he has no krown to throw. He could just be throwing it out of his coat/lab coat pocket instead.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Think they'd be able to take his captain's hat or scientist's headband and have him throw them in place of a crown, but with the same hitbox?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Think they'd be able to take his captain's hat or scientist's headband and have him throw them in place of a crown, but with the same hitbox?
Its iffy. That's why I just think either he'll just pull a spare krown out of his outfit, or he'll pull the krown out from thin air (but if its his king costume he'll grab the krown; in the case of his other costumes, the krown appears in his hand).

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's certainly possible from a technical perspective, but I think it would look odd. JaidynReiman's idea seems more practical.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Another possibility is that the krown is always apart of each and every outfit, and only his outfit itself changes, not his hat. His hat is always the krown, but his main outfit will change. Since the krown would be part of his moveset this would be quite practical. It'd be a bit disappointing for him to not have his pirate hat, though.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not having the crown throw would be like Wario not having his shoulder barge. You'd have to be some kinda fool to not

Oh...

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Its iffy. That's why I just think either he'll just pull a spare krown out of his outfit, or he'll pull the krown out from thin air (but if its his king costume he'll grab the krown; in the case of his other costumes, the krown appears in his hand).
Agreed, it's not that far-fetched. After all, some characters actually do this, Mario with FLUDD or Kirby with the hammer to name a few.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It could be possible that the crown toss could be a smash attack, like how Megamans mega buster is. It could work like when peach uses her fair and hits you with her crown you can see the crown removed from her head. Same thing but it has distance like Megamans the stronger the charge the brighter the crown can flicker when thrown.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
In DK64
K.Rool throws his boxing glove should have been his krown know i think about it xD
We already have a handful of character with boxing glove movesets (:4bowserjr:, :4villager:, most obviously :4littlemac:)

Plus it's not what comes to mind when I think of K. Rool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom