• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Pakky

Smash Hero
This is basically a transparent Shovel Knight campaign video. Anyone not watching, you're not missing anything.
Which is a shame, too bad that we're discussing a series pioneer next to a new buck who hasn't existed but a year.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This is basically a transparent Shovel Knight campaign video. Anyone not watching, you're not missing anything.
To be fair, he's actually not being outright negative. In the 10 minutes I've seen, he's acknowledged K Rool is basically running the ballot, and that the costume isn't a deconfirmation.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yeah. I haven't really seen a decent argument in Shovel Knight's favour before I turned the stream off.
"Platformer rep" can be applied to K Rool for instance as he first appeared in a platformer. That and I don't see a lack of platformer characters in Smash like they mentioned.
Or you know Mario or Sonic, or Pit ect. Not picking on you, but when I heard that comment in the stream I was like "wha?" SK has more seniority as a platformer than Mario?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be fair, he's actually not being outright negative. In the 10 minutes I've seen, he's acknowledged K Rool is basically running the ballot, and that the costume isn't a deconfirmation.
It's not outright negative, but it's nowhere close to a quality debate. Someone hilariously compared Shovel Knight to Mario(!) in that he has good chances of getting multiple amiibo, and he agreed with it. Nintendo's flagship character vs. a one-off indie character.

He should have gotten people to call in, but didn't, because it's all about hearing himself talk.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
It's not outright negative, but it's nowhere close to a quality debate. Someone hilariously compared Shovel Knight to Mario(!) in that he has good chances of getting multiple amiibo, and he agreed with it. Nintendo's flagship character vs. a one-off indie character.

He should have gotten people to call in, but didn't, because it's all about hearing himself talk.
Mario has what like a million games and Shovel Knight has one lol

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Making an Amiibo of a popular Indy character is showing that Nintendo is listening. You can't tell me that the ballot didnt influence their decision to move foreword on that choice.
According to the presentation last night, Yacht Club has been working on the amiibo since last year. So no, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the ballot.

TheLethalPacifist

Smash Cadet
The fact that he says that Shovel Knight community is more active than the Kremling Krew when literally every poll or video about our king gets swamped with our votes and comments makes me irritated.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
The fact that he says that Shovel Knight community is more active than the Kremling Krew when literally every poll or video about our king gets swamped with our votes makes me irritated.
The amount of eye rolling I'm doing. This is so one-sided

He is clearly biased towards Shovel Knight...
No research is being done here not one bit which is disgusting

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's not a debate. It's one guy streaming and selectively "listening" to the messages he receives.

A more accurate video title would be:
Etika: The Internal Monologue.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
While I disagree with the way that the poll is going, I don't think sales are the best angle. Yeah, K. Rool has been in more high-selling games, but I don't think he's the reason those games sold. It's the DK brand and character.
Granted, but that's something to discuss about when actually comparing.

As opposed to using Shovel Knight's sales in a debate against King K Rool without even bringing up the sales of K Rool's games.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So to keep things on track, I'm sure this has been asked before (again), but how many of you would main K. Rool over your current favourite character if he made it into the roster?

I am dedicated to Pit, personally, but I would definitely play about with K. Rool. I reckon he'd be very fun, howsoever his moveset worked out.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Lloyd has a similar fanbase to King K Rool? Word?

Last edited:

TheLethalPacifist

Smash Cadet
So to keep things on track, I'm sure this has been asked before (again), but how many of you would main K. Rool over your current favourite character if he made it into the roster?

I am dedicated to Pit, personally, but I would definitely play about with K. Rool. I reckon he'd be very fun, howsoever his moveset worked out.
I personally dual main in Smash (Samus and Falcon-Melee, Ganon and Wario-PM) and I have mained Robin day 1 and have kept trying out secondaries like DDD and DK to no avail but if K. Rool gets in he's guaranteed to see tourney use from me.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Screw this "debate", I'm done watching.

It would not be that hard for K.Rool, I already main Ganon and Bowser. He would fit right in.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

It'd be similar to my situation with Pretty Palutena. I wanted to main her (just like I do with K Rool) but she ended up not suiting my style at all so I really only use her for Trophy Rush grinding and a bit of fun now.
If K Rool's style is something that fits my style then he'll be mained otherwise I'd end up not playing him as much as I do with my 3 mains. Would still play as him for fun though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I wouldn't completely drop Bowser and DK, but I'd play K. Rool so much more than them so as to catch my skills with him up to their level, so it would be almost exclusive play for a while, yes.

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
I do not understand the purpose of pitting these two characters against each other in the first place. If one gets in, what prevents the other from getting in as well? Like, the ballot's still not even over yet and people are running around screaming that this one guy's rumor (that he said was just speculation) is the complete and undeniable truth. I'd love for both to get in, honestly, but apparently Sakurai isn't human and cannot change his mind (at least that's basically how people are viewing this situation).

As for maining K. Rool, it wouldn't be too hard for me. One of my mains already is King Dedede, so a heavyweight shouldn't be too bad to control with.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
At the end of the day, the worst that could happen is that bumbledumbs leave agreeing with him and thinking he presented his case fairly/reasonably. This slop is more of an irritation than anything of consequence.

Shovel Knight is a great game (with great music) but it is just that: a single 1-year old game, an IP not owned by Nintendo, relatively niche (700K across all platforms), and currently unreleased in Japan. At the moment, there is every reason to doubt the rumor that he will be included in Smash Brothers. Third party characters have been held to a very high standard. Shovel Knight is an interesting game, but the series and titular character do not even come close to the heels of Pac Man, Snake, Ryu, Mega Man, and Sonic in terms of impact and recognition. To tout him as an "indie" rep is to attach his name to projects that have nothing to do with him whatsoever. I do not see the character being included, even with the rumor attached to him. If he is, I would be very underwhelmed.

King K. Rool is an old character and it's true he hasn't appeared in any main game since 1999. Despite this, K. Rool remains beloved. He beats Shovel Knight in virtually every poll taken in the community. Moreover, his games -- unlike Shovel Knight's -- are internationally known. This is true even among casual audiences.

While the Mii costume might raise the possibility that K. Rool might not be included as a full fighter, this possibility is currently uncertain: there is no evidence that the ballot had anything to do with K. Rool or any other character's mii costume. None of the other Mii costume characters have been highly demanded as DLC characters besides Inkling (an obvious promotional move). If anything, the Chrom and Heihachi costumes suggest the importance of the pre-ballot phases: both were considered for the vanilla game. If the consolation prize argument were stronger, we would be seeing other ballot-popular characters as Mii costumes as well (there are only limited DLC slots after all). But we have not -- K. Rool is the only one, besides Inkling.

I struggle to see why Sakurai would pick a low-impact third party character with a game that has not even been released in his region rather than a Nintendo newcomer from a multi-million selling series that is popular all over the world.

Pakky

Smash Hero

I might change out Mewtwo for the King or just play both of them. Recently I've only been playing Mewtwo and I've gotten pretty good, so when King K comes out I'll play him as well.

TheLethalPacifist

Smash Cadet
I do not understand the purpose of pitting these two characters against each other in the first place. If one gets in, what prevents the other from getting in as well? Like, the ballot's still not even over yet and people are running around screaming that this one guy's rumor (that he said was just speculation) is the complete and undeniable truth. I'd love for both to get in, honestly, but apparently Sakurai isn't human and cannot change his mind (at least that's basically how people are viewing this situation).
I think it was just for ****s and giggles honestly, he just saw two popular characters and went "hmm if I make a debate then I can get some juicy views."

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You know, if anyone's interested, we could get some fans together and record a legitimate discussion/debate of K. Rool and Shovel Knight to run counter to this farce. It wouldn't get as many views or as many rabid fans showing up on Twitch to spam memes, but that doesn't mean there's no merit in the idea.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Making an Amiibo of a popular Indy character is showing that Nintendo is listening. You can't tell me that the ballot didnt influence their decision to move foreword on that choice. They see the fanbase behind him and see potential so much potential that they made him an Amiibo and completely blew Sony and MS added content for SK out of the water. This speaks volumes for K. Rool clearly they're listening and if they're willing to make SK an Amiibo think about their own first party character in K. Rool, I highly doubt that he will be ignored anymore.
For clarification, the amiibo was made by Yacht Club Games and they said they've worked on it since over a year. It was their decision in the first place, not Nintendo's. It is a licensed third-party product, which means they've contacted Nintendo to get the rights to use the amiibo brand and technology, and had to go through all the legal hoops to get the rights. Of course the game's good reception probably made all the negotiations and such easier, but I doubt the Smash ballot had much effect on this. I think it's only a matter of time until third-party amiibos (literally, not just first-party amiibos depicting third-party characters like the Smash ones) become more than an isolate case.

I know we're not supposed to talk about SK anymore, but I just wanted to share my thoughts as I just think this is just wishful extrapolation.

Besides, assuming K. Rool returns in a new Donkey Kong game, am I the only one who really wants to see him in regular cutsenes like in Donkey Kong 64? Part of why I found him to be such a memorable character were those; seeing the story progress through the antagonist's viewpoint was awesome, and seeing how he got angry at how his plans failed was funny. I'd love to see those cutscenes back, especially if there's some character development through these - through the early game he's in denial and takes the Kongs as a negligible force despite what they manage to accomplish, but as long as they go further in the game he's accepting to realize how he was underestimating them and tries to make plans even more vicious and unpredictable than before.

@ Schnee117 Schnee117 your remark about the "platformer rep" thing represents part of why I'm not keen with the idea of getting some platformer indie character, that's because a much more notable character already in SSB4, Mega Man, represents many qualities those kind of characters have - a third-party hero with retro/old-school 2D appeal and a huge arsenal at their disposal. Including too many third-parties with qualities which are too similar to each other would lesser their overall appeal, and besides being from an indie company, Mega Man being already in the roster would makes them kind of redudant as third-party characters. Of course that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
You know, if anyone's interested, we could get some fans together and record a legitimate discussion/debate of K. Rool and Shovel Knight to run counter to this farce. It wouldn't get as many views or as many rabid fans showing up on Twitch to spam memes, but that doesn't mean there's no merit in the idea.
I like that idea

Top Bottom