• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I mean, you can't ignore that it really is a suggestion box. You see, I've watched you complain about this for a bit. If it was a poll, it would have actually voting with several characters. The suggestion box is there to suggest a character to consider.
So you're watching all of my posts?

I'm not ignoring that it's a suggestion box, I'm just concerned that popularity accounts for nothing, and I think it should count for at least something to consider when picking from the ballot.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xkw8OXLr_w Etika is doing a debate live on youtube in 1 hour. K. Rool V. Shovel Knight DLC chances

Wow, this is really low even for Etika. He is just going to make things worst in a community where everyone is already turning against each other. I can already see this becoming a why my favorite character is better then your favorite character type of debate. He is starting to turn into the same thing Shokio was to Ridley fans (which is ironic since Etika was a fan of Ridley). I'm happy I unsubscribed from that guy when I did. Also, this ballot is officially the worst thing to happen to the Smash speculation community.:urg:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Darn, just as I leave I hear about Etika having a debate. To all the Kutthroats that are able to participate in the debate: Good luck, be civil, use all of your logical points in favor of K. Rool, and do your best! :) Prove that K. Rool still has a chance!
Good luck with that given how cancerous the text stream is an hour and a half before the thing even starts.

im not going to be there but if etika posts a straw poll or something then post it here right away and get to it...i saw this one in the comments http://www.strawpoll.me/5339360 its nothing important but if you feel like voting k rool then do it.

honestly nobody is going to gain anything from this debate expect fight with each other,we are all brothers and sisters here and we dont need people trying to make fanbases into mortal enemies

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I mean, you can't ignore that it really is a suggestion box. You see, I've watched you complain about this for a bit. If it was a poll, it would have actually voting with several characters. The suggestion box is there to suggest a character to consider.
I think it's a tad silly to say it's either / or. It has elements of both.

It's a means to suggest your favourite characters, which Sakurai will take into account without any sort of obligation to add the character. There's a reason why every vote has 500 characters' worth of input that you can fill out. It isn't as objective as Sakurai observing the results and subsequently work is done on the top five characters. Even factoring out impossible votes like Shrek or Goku, Sakurai has a decent modicum of leeway in whom he thinks is the best character.

At the same time, numbers and public interest do factor into it. Even if it is objectively a suggestion box, Sakurai can hardly choose to remain unaware of the quantity of votes submitted: it's written in big bloody numbers in front of him! In addition to that, do remember that this is DLC: downloadable content. It ain't free. People pay for this service. That means the impetus is on Ninty to decide who's gonna be worth the investment, the character with the best chance to make a decent return. It costs money to make a character, Nintendo are a business first and foremost, they must ensure that the potential return is adequate to justify the initial investment. To put it obliquely: numbers = sales. Yeah, you can argue that people will buy it anyway for whatever reason (to support Nintendo, to have a full roster, etc), but as far as Nintendo's concerned, the character needs to make sense from a financial perspective. Do remember that it requires both money and intent to download the new characters, something which may well - from Nintendo's economic perspective - come down to fans that really do care about the content which can be purchased online.

All things in moderation, including moderation!

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
So you're watching all of my posts?

I'm not ignoring that it's a suggestion box, I'm just concerned that popularity accounts for nothing, and I think it should count for at least something to consider when picking from the ballot.
nah, man I am not watching. But you posted this pretty much in the Nintenzone Thread. Popularity really does account for nothing IMO. If the team thinks they can make it, or hell, they even want to then they will do it. Wii Fit Trainer for example.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Dang I'm gonna miss the debate live. I'm gonna have to try to throw something in the chat and keep checking back here to see how it goes. I know it really doesn't matter..but I REALLY want K to come out on top. Just to show that we're still a fighting crew, and we won't go down without a fight. I highly urge everyone who can to attend itit. We really need to show them who's best

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
nah, man I am not watching. But you posted this pretty much in the Nintenzone Thread. Popularity really does account for nothing IMO. If the team thinks they can make it, or hell, they even want to then they will do it. Wii Fit Trainer for example.
That's...a fallacious comparison.

Wii Fit Trainer was installed in the base game. She comes with Smash 4. It doesn't matter if people possess an interest in her as a character. She's just there.

You can take risks in the base game that you can't with DLC. You have to convince the consumer to pay for the content. If Wii Fit Trainer was a DLC character, how many people do you honestly think would pay to download her?

Nintendo isn't stupid. They will tell Sakurai to work on whatever character he fancies that is also a good chance to make a return on their investment.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
That's...a fallacious comparison.

Wii Fit Trainer was installed in the base game. She comes with Smash 4. It doesn't matter if people possess an interest in her as a character. She's just there.

You can take risks in the base game that you can't with DLC. You have to convince the consumer to pay for the content. If Wii Fit Trainer was a DLC character, how many people do you honestly think would pay to download her?

Nintendo isn't stupid. They will tell Sakurai to work on whatever character he fancies that is also a good chance to make a return on their investment.
Nintendo isn't stupid, you are correct. But they ultimately pick and choose what they want to do. I agree, nintendo does listen to the fans....But at the same time they do not because they like to do their own thing. And people download DLC anyways just because it's DLC sadly. I hate Roy, but I bought him anyways to complete the game and I know several others who do the same. I want K. Rool honestly, I've wanted him for years. Yet I know that many people putting things in a ballot doesn't mean it will happen. No matter how bad people want it.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
You made it seem like I've been making an issue of this for some time, even when I only stated it in the Nintenzone thread and just restated it here because it was somewhat related to K. Rool.

Also, people bought Roy because he's an actual character and a highly requested Melee veteran, one who was meant to be in Brawl but didn't end up making it in the end. Something tells me a super obscure character wouldn't fare as well, especially if they haven't already been a veteran.

Something tells me Nintendo isn't thinking "It's Smash DLC, everyone will buy it regardless." We'd have to look at sales numbers to make an accurate call on that. I know people who haven't bought Lucas, Roy, or even Ryu and don't plan on doing so. Sure, they are a minority (and a small one at that) but this isn't without precedent. Yes, they won't pick the most popular if they simply don't fit into Smash (like Goku or Shrek), but surely, SURELY characters like King K. Rool, Isaac, and Bandana Dee are being considered due to their popularity, moveset potential, and first party status.

My desire for the ballot to close comes with the (hopeful) end of the constant bickering and arguing, taking a unified Smash fanbase and turning it against each other. In addition, that means K. Rool's fate for Smash will be officially out of our hands and we can seek closure. There's a lot of passion and investment going into this thread, despite plenty of people lining up to mock it elsewhere.

Last edited:
have you noticed that almost all the newcomers have some sort of gimmick?

Main gimmicky characters:
rosalina with the ability to play 2 characters at once.

villager with the ability to pocket anything

little mac with the ability to k-o punch

shulk with the ability to use monado arts and change his playstyle

robin with his tomes and swords that go away after awhile

mii fighters with their customizing

ryu with street fighter inputs

Other characters that have lesser things:
megaman plays exactly like he did in his games

palutena with 12 unique customs

duck hunt dog with his zapper shots

bowser jr the first character to ride in a vehicle

wii fit trainter,greninja,pac-man. are the only non clone newcomers that dont have any gimmick

maybe sakurai wants all newcomers to have some unique ability and cant think of any for k rool?
gimmick or not i just want k rool.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I endorse even viewing that debate, let alone participating in it. I don't expect anything good to come from it besides the user gaining attention (and that's only good for him). Besides, the outcome of the debate does not change anything about the character's actual inclusion or not. Any "debate" that occurs will likely be toxic, favoring meme-like sound-bites over actual discussion.

If you want to empathize with migraine sufferers like myself, go ahead and join.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm wondering if Etika will be allowing calls into the debate, or only narrating text from the Twitch stream. If it's to be a fair debate at all, he'll do the former, since the latter allows him to verbally/nonverbally paint valid arguments as foolish (i.e. reading them in a mocking voice, speedreading through them, ignoring them entirely).

The people who don't want popularity to matter will do verbal gymnastics to argue that it doesn't.

The existence of a ballot delayed them for a while (and made the people with "POPULAR CHARACTERS ONLY BORE ME" signatures look like fools), but they came back and said "Sakurai can choose anyone." Then, Sakurai came out and said "it's fan-service from here on out." Delayed them a little longer, but they're back in full force now, emboldened by the costume.

You have a sample size, probably a million+ votes big, but they're still going to claim that "Sakurai might look at the top voted characters and decide they don't appeal enough to people compared to these characters with a fraction as many votes." Nothing short of K. Rool getting in will stop that, and even then, if history is any indicator, it will only be temporary.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nintendo isn't stupid, you are correct. But they ultimately pick and choose what they want to do. I agree, nintendo does listen to the fans....But at the same time they do not because they like to do their own thing. And people download DLC anyways just because it's DLC sadly. I hate Roy, but I bought him anyways to complete the game and I know several others who do the same. I want K. Rool honestly, I've wanted him for years. Yet I know that many people putting things in a ballot doesn't mean it will happen. No matter how bad people want it.
Nintendo doesn't like to do their own thing. Sakurai does. Yet he's still contracted by Nintendo to work on the game. If Nintendo says, "Add XYZ", he will listen. Your citation of Wii Fit Trainer is a poor comparison because Sakurai knows that it's best to save the "surprise" characters for the base game, because it's safer than making an investment in the character if there's a chance that public interest won't create a suitable return. Ergo, Nintendo decides what goes, especially for DLC, which is essentially a tiny product in itself. Doesn't mean Nintendo has unilateral dictation on who gets to be in Smash, just that Sakurai has to consider what the structure of command wants from a financial point of view.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Nintendo doesn't like to do their own thing. Sakurai does. Yet he's still contracted by Nintendo to work on the game. If Nintendo says, "Add XYZ", he will listen. Your citation of Wii Fit Trainer is a poor comparison because Sakurai knows that it's best to save the "surprise" characters for the base game, because it's safer than making an investment in the character if there's a chance that public interest won't create a suitable return. Ergo, Nintendo decides what goes, especially for DLC, which is essentially a tiny product in itself. Doesn't mean Nintendo has unilateral dictation on who gets to be in Smash, just that Sakurai has to consider what the structure of command wants from a financial point of view.
Nintendo totally likes to do their own thing. It's like how a lot of people want a Gritty Legend of Zelda, but they want to keep it beautiful. Metriod Prime 4, but we get Federation. In my day, no one wanted a Mario Galaxy 2, they wanted something new. Star Fox Zero Motion Controls. No one wants Motion controls anymore. While I am not saying these are bad things, but if they were not doing their own thing, we would have a lot more fan requests like games. Personally, I like the direction nintendo takes.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nintendo totally likes to do their own thing. It's like how a lot of people want a Gritty Legend of Zelda, but they want to keep it beautiful. Metriod Prime 4, but we get Federation. In my day, no one wanted a Mario Galaxy 2, they wanted something new. Star Fox Zero Motion Controls. No one wants Motion controls anymore. While I am not saying these are bad things, but if they were not doing their own thing, we would have a lot more fan requests like games. Personally, I like the direction nintendo takes.
You're right, they do like to do their own thing - but within reason.

The reality, for better or for worse, is that fan-requested games or games with intense cult followings do well, but suffer when compared to big blockbuster successes. What the hardcore fans want isn't necessarily what the mass market wants. Why do you think the Wii is among the highest-selling consoles of all time, whereas the Wii U struggles to even keep up with its competitors?

If Nintendo endorsed Sakurai's decision to add the "surprise" character of his choice as DLC, there's a good chance it would turn out to be a financial disaster. It'd be funny, and definitely worth it from a yuk-yuk perspective, but Nintendo can't afford that kind of economic collapse right now.

Consider, too, the DLC characters so far:

:4mewtwo: The most-requested character at the time of Smash 4's release that didn't make it into the base game, among the most popular characters in terms of fan demand since Brawl

:4lucas: A popular veteran from Brawl with a big fanbase, particularly in Japan

:4feroy: A popular veteran from Melee, same context as Lucas

:4ryu: The daddy of fighting games, an iconic character in the industry, appeals to fighting game fans beyond Smash, with just a hint of Sakurai's own interest dashed into the mix for good measure

I think it's silly to maintain that Nintendo will do whatever they want for DLC, when the reality of precedent is that highly-requested and / or iconic characters in the video game industry have been the characters released so far. Why would that change now, especially when there's a ballot in place in order to understand just whom it is that fans want to see in Smash?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That being said, there will always be ascetics among us.

Here are things I would say if I were one of them. Simplified arguments to adapt to "twitchstream" style, including potential smilies and phrases you could use.

"Bruh..who said Mii costumes came from ballot? No other mii costume besides Inkling is based on heavily demanded character!".
"Wut. Unlike Ridley and Chrom, K. Rool's mii costume is just that -- a costume. Not the character itself."
"Lol. Unlike Shovel Knight, K. Rool is a Nintendo character."
"Hold up bro. Unlike Shovel Knight, K. Rool is actually popular in Japan."
"Unlike Shovel Knight, K. Rool's actually had games released in Japan! :p"
"TBH K. Rool might not have new games, but his games are much more wildly known than Shovel Knight."
"Um. If u trust polls saying Shovel Knight (700k units sold) is popular, u should trust polls saying K. Rool is, too."

Had more fun doing those than I thought. Bruh.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering if Etika will be allowing calls into the debate, or only narrating text from the Twitch stream. If it's to be a fair debate at all, he'll do the former, since the latter allows him to verbally/nonverbally paint valid arguments as foolish (i.e. reading them in a mocking voice, speedreading through them, ignoring them entirely).

The people who don't want popularity to matter will do verbal gymnastics to argue that it doesn't.

The existence of a ballot delayed them for a while (and made the people with "POPULAR CHARACTERS ONLY BORE ME" signatures look like fools), but they came back and said "Sakurai can choose anyone." Then, Sakurai came out and said "it's fan-service from here on out." Delayed them a little longer, but they're back in full force now, emboldened by the costume.

You have a sample size, probably a million+ votes big, but they're still going to claim that "Sakurai might look at the top voted characters and decide they don't appeal enough to people compared to these characters with a fraction as many votes." Nothing short of K. Rool getting in will stop that, and even then, if history is any indicator, it will only be temporary.
If you could, you should really try to call in. If any of us Kutthroats would do so to support our King, it should be you. You've been one hell of leader thus far

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo totally likes to do their own thing. It's like how a lot of people want a Gritty Legend of Zelda, but they want to keep it beautiful.
What are you talking about we got Twilight Princess right after people started to complain that they hated Wind Waker's art style.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If I get to call in, which I doubt, but if I do, I'm going to just talk up K. Rool's chances, instead of turning it into the ****ing contest he so blatantly wants vs. Shovel Knight.

There is hypocrisy in how the two characters are evaluated, though. Some people flail their arms about how the "casuals don't know about K. Rool," but don't bat an eye about an entire country not knowing about Shovel Knight (at least yet, until he gets released in the East).

If you could, you should really try to call in. If any of us Kutthroats would do so to support our King, it should be you. You've been one hell of leader thus far
I'm touched. If I can, I'll definitely call in, but it won't be as a 'representative' of K. Rool or anything...we should get as many people calling and hammering home that it's not over yet if we're allowed to do so. Anyone who's comfortable, of course.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's not just Japan. Shovel Knight has sold 700K across all platforms. If K. Rool is a "nobody" in the west, so is Shovel Knight. How many "casual" people would know who he is? At least casual people would recognize DKC.

Also: Honestly, I wouldn't call in, even if he allowed that. Least of all someone like you, Bkupa. Too notable of a user here. Would be giving this mess more attention than it deserves. Etika is not a new unknown entity: we know what his videos are like and what crowd he panders to.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I wonder how quickly the arguments that "K. Rool is a nobody!" and "he's irrelevant!" would dissipate if K. Rool was confirmed for a new DKC game?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's not just Japan. Shovel Knight has sold 700K across all platforms. If K. Rool is a "nobody" in the west, so is Shovel Knight. How many "casual" people would know who he is? At least casual people would recognize DKC.

Also: Honestly, I wouldn't call in, even if he allowed that. Least of all someone like you, Bkupa. Too notable of a user here. Would be giving this mess more attention than it deserves. Etika is not a new unknown entity: we know what his videos are like and what crowd he panders to.
Far, far more than Shovel Knight. K. Rool has been a major focus in 9 games of a 56m selling franchises, and he's in all the best selling ones (DKC1-3, DK64, even the DKL games did decently).

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The Shovel Knight Amiibo bodes well for K. Rool imo.

Making an Amiibo of a popular Indy character is showing that Nintendo is listening. You can't tell me that the ballot didnt influence their decision to move foreword on that choice. They see the fanbase behind him and see potential so much potential that they made him an Amiibo and completely blew Sony and MS added content for SK out of the water. This speaks volumes for K. Rool clearly they're listening and if they're willing to make SK an Amiibo think about their own first party character in K. Rool, I highly doubt that he will be ignored anymore.

This makes me feel like that Mii costume is milking his popularity for the money. Nintendo isn't stupid at all. At this point even if Sakurai was to say "eh" toward K. Rool I think Nintendo would so tell him to make him, because Nintendo wants to make money and that's DLCs whole purpose. If K. Rool is top in the US and in atleast the top 5 in Japan I don't see any feasible reason he'd be ignored especially after this Shovel Knight Amiibo. A character who is exclusively popular in the US.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder how quickly the arguments that "K. Rool is a nobody!" and "he's irrelevant!" would dissipate if K. Rool was confirmed for a new DKC game?
People would stand by those talking points and say "See? He's in a new game, so now he deserves to be in Smash because (list of every positive reason we've been saying for years)."

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The amiibo discussion has prompted me to confess:

If K. Rool had a Smash amiibo and a DKC amiibo, I'd buy both.

TheLethalPacifist

Smash Cadet
I have mixed feeling about Shovel Knight.

On one hand, he doesn't quite have the recognition and status to be worthy of a position on the roster yet.
On the other hand I love that game to death and would love to play as him in Smash Bros.

Shovel Knight should absolutely not get in over King K. Rool though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I guess i can mention this about the maintence

Its 1 hour long is that significant or not?
(Were previous updates shorter or longer than that to conplete?)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For those who plan on following the debate, a few fans and I have decided that, if Etika so much as implies that "K. Rool is generic, fat, slow and boring," we're going to flood the chat with entire movesets from the OP, piece by piece. Anyone who wants to join in is welcome.

Pakky

Smash Hero
ipakmann is my name on Youtube, just so you guys know that I'll be there.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If somebody could copy paste this to Twitch, that'd be great.

Neutral B:
Kannonball:

At first glance, it seems the same as Bowser Jr's Cannon, a moderately big cannonball traveling in a straight line before falling down and dealing knockback to whoever it hits.
However, when the Kannonball touches the ground, it changes in a spikeball, which deal moderate damage and knock the opponent directly away from the spikeball, potentially to K. Rool.

The shot can be aimed diagonally downwards for an instant spikeball, or diagonally up for a deceiving lob.

Vacuum:
If there are two Spikeballs on the stage already, the Blunderbuss turns into a vacuum when using the move.
This vacuum can be used to place the balls somewhere else, to store the spikeballs for another moment or to suck up items and opponents.
If an opponent is sucked in the Blunderbuss, you can press B again to let out an explosion that knocks the enemy away.

Neutral B2:
Bouncing Ball

The Kannonball bounces one time when it touches the ground before it gains it spikes.
Can be aimed.

Neutral B3:
Klobberball

The ball is twice as big and does insane knockback, but it disappears when it touches the ground and cannot be aimed.
The vacuum attack does more knockback.

Overall analysis:
The Kannonball can be used in two ways: a normal projectile that acts as a wall, or a trap.
When used in the first way, King K. Rool would want to force the opponent in another trap with this move, instead of outright hitting them with the Kannonball.

When used the second way, King. K Rool gains stage control and can move the spikeballs around with the vacuum or hit opponents with them when stuck in a trap.

King K. Rool also wants to hit the enemy in a stationary spikeball for a potential kill confirm.

Side B:
King's Krown:

King K. Rool throws his crown.
The Krown is fully controllable before it returns back to his head after a few seconds and sweeps opponents with it. (Like Water Shuriken)

When you press B again, the Krown flies back to K. Rools head, dealing minor damage and knockback on the way back.
King K. Rool himself cannot be controlled while the Krown is off his head, he instead looks at the screen like in DKC.

Side B2:
Krown Kollapse

The Krown explodes when it hits an opponent, dealing heavy knockback.

Side B3:
Kilometer Krown

The Krown lasts twice as long, but cannot be controlled

Overall Analysis:
This attack is for getting the opponents in your heavier traps (like Klouds and Elekroctution).
It is also K. Rools most potent projectile, despite the fact K. Rool is a sitting duck while performing it.

Using this attack wisely can change the situation completely and can turn the game into an advantage for K. Rool in any situation.

Up B:
Butt Bounce:

The King bounces up and down three times, going higher each time.
Every time he drops on the ground (not in the air!) , he makes a shockwave appear and buries opponents.
For the last time, he comes down on his fat belly and KOs opponents unlucky to be smashed by his butt.

The last slam does have quite a bit of lag, but it can be cancelled, but decide wisely. It is a very powerful attack!

Up B2:
Jump Bounce:

This Kustom turns King K. Rool's Butt Bounce in DeDeDe's Super DeDeDe Jump.

Up B3:
Shock Bounce

The shockwaves are bigger and kill, but his butt won't bury nor kill

Overall Analyisis:
King K. Rool wants to use this special pretty often, since it has two boons to his play.

The green shockwaves can make opponents uneasy so they make bad decisions, and the hit on his butt has a powerful burying effect.
Opponents hit by it are set up for the KO-ing belly slam.

The fact K. Rool can cancel the last it makes it a less risky maneuver, although when opponents are buried, it's generally wise to not cancel it, since the belly slam deals so much knockback and damage.

DownB:
Gas Klouds

King K. Rool holds his Blunderbuss and shoots a gas Kloud in front of him.
Charging makes the effects of the Kloud different.

Stage 1: Freeze
Anyone who touches the Kloud freezes.

Stage 2: Lip's Flower
Anyone who touches the Kloud gains a Lips Flower

Stage 3: Reverse Kontrols
Anyone who touches the Kloud has his controls reversed.

Stage 4: Slowed
Anyone touching the Kloud is slowed.

Down B2:
KO Kloud

The Klouds now deal knockback, getting heavier at each charge, with the last stage being able to kill at 100%
The Klouds do not bring any extra effects though.

DownB3:
Big Kloud

The Klouds are bigger, but the effects are smaller.

Overall Analysis:
This is K. Rools main trap, with the slowing Kloud being the bnb of K. Rools game.
This is what K. Rool wants to achieve. He want opponents to fear that Kloud.
A good K. Rool would ruthlessly use that fear to trump the opponent.

The Freeze, Lip and Kontrol Klouds all have their uses too, and can instill fear to the opponent just the same.

The Freeze Kloud can be a potent and easy ledge guard,
Lip Kloud can be a semi-Pikmim, making opponents shield and delivering you easy damage.
The Kontrol Kloud, along with being the most cruel edgeguard ever, might screw up your opponent in a crucial moment.

Final Smash:
Laaandmastuhr

Kredits
King K. Rool gets launched off screen, and the screen says KAME!
Then, after the usual slowdown off the screen, Kredits come and sweep the opponent off-screen.

Tilts:
Jab: Jabs two times with his boxing gloves
FTilt: Headbutts. Quite slow, but quite powerful too
UTilt: Jumps up and does an uppercut.
DTilt: Places down a Klaptrap that bites opponents.
Dash Attack: Uses his blunderbuss to dash forward.

Smashes:
Forward Smash:

Headbutts the opponent.
Charging animation is him charging the blunderbuss. His most powerful move.

Down Smash:
King K. Rool places down two electric pods at his sides that give a paralysing shock after two seconds
Very slow, but King K. Rool can act before the pods attack, so he can Krown opponents.

Up Smash:
King K. Rool fires a cannonball up that falls down again right before his feet after a second.
Works perfectly if used in conjunction with the knockback from the spikeballs

Aerials:
Neutral air:
The helicopter pack malfunctions, spinning K. Rool around.
Forward air: King K. Rool places his Krown in the air, which spins three times before exploding.
It's power is weak, but the animation resembles that of the Side Special, which the opponent should definitely fear.
A great trick!
King K. Rool does have lag on this move, where he looks at the camera.
It only lasts two spins though.

Back air: King K. Rool charges the Blunderbuss, which changes in color, and lets out an explosion after quickly turning the blunderbuss

Up air: The helicopter pack's blades spin around.
Has a momentum canceling effect.

Down air: King K. Rool spreads its arms and falls down on its belly, falls to the floor, and... bounces up again and lands normally.
Like Fair, this move resembles a powerful special move, but is weaker than its special counterpart.
In this case, the Dair resembles the powerful last hit of the Butt Bounce, but it's still pretty powerful in its own right as it has some KO Power, but the Butt Bounce is still twice as powerful!

Grabs and Throws
Pummel
: K. Rool punches the opponent in the face
Foward Throw: The infamous Krokodile Death Roll
Back Throw: K. Rool turns around and throws the opponent away like a bowling ball.
Down Throw: King K. Rool butt bounces on his opponents
UThrow: King K. Rool throws his Krown upwards.

Overall Playstyle:
King K. Rool is our first trap character, and he fully depends on them.
His attacks are normally too slow to hit, but when the opponent is Elekrockuted, Klouded, Buried, or knocked towards K. Rool by a spikeball, these slow attacks become perfectly viable for killing.

Of course, the Kunning King isn't just waiting for opponents to step into a trap, he has his ways to do.
The Kannonball forms a wall that opponents can't deny, Spikeballs hinder mobility and make the opponents ping-pong around the stage, his Krown outright forces his opponents in traps and his Butt Bounce's shockwaves makes the opponent make bad decisions.

And when the King succeeded in getting the opponent trapped, he has a plethora of options as well.
USmash works great in conjunction with the knockback Spikeballs give, Butt Bounce and Forward Smash are great finishers.

Of course, trickery is still in K. Rools arsenal, this time in the form of two attacks whose animation resembles a special move quite a bit.
These traps can lend K. Rool a hard read and a hit of his hard belly, but use them sparely, since opponents can see it coming.
A Kunning mind is needed!

The Kustom Kroc
Kustoms turn King. K. Rool in a traditional heavyweight, where all of his normal traps KO earlier than normal, or get opponents off-stage, lending a positional advantage, but he loses the Default Krown that gets opponents in these traps in the first place, the slowing effect from the Default Klouds or the Kannonball that lends K. Rool incredible stage control.

A more konditioning playstyle is asked, but can work just the same, especially since these Kustoms kill earlier than the rest of K. Rools arsenal.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
"Chrom and Heihachi were planned for the ORIGINAL roster! If anything, they show the importance of the pre-ballot!"
"You haven't shown how the ballot led to these costumes. You can't."
"( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) We've seen obscure first party characters before. Not obscure third party characters..."
"Haha. There are probably multiple ballot characters, anyway...."

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Anyway, this debate is surely interesting. I mean it gives K. Rool some real exposure. Holy crap

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is basically a transparent Shovel Knight campaign video. Anyone not watching, you're not missing anything.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This is basically a transparent Shovel Knight campaign video. Anyone not watching, you're not missing anything.
Yeah. I haven't really seen a decent argument in Shovel Knight's favour before I turned the stream off.
"Platformer rep" can be applied to K Rool for instance as he first appeared in a platformer. That and I don't see a lack of platformer characters in Smash like they mentioned.

Top Bottom