• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What is everyone's favorite dkc game? (for the purposes of this, lets not include Returns or Tropical Freeze, I love TF, but im just talking about the original 3)
Mine would have to be 2. Diddy and Dixie are both better than donkey and kiddy imo, I loved the world themes so much, I liked the enemies, I thought the gameplay was the sharpest here, I like the animal buddies here (squitter was a great addition), I think the bosses are far better than they were in 1, and most of all I love the soundtrack.
What about you guys?
DKC2 by a mile. It's called David Wise's magnum opus for good reason.

:231:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
DKC2 by a mile. It's called David Wise's magnum opus for good reason.

Probably cause it's the only one David Wise did alone.:troll:

Until Tropical Freeze of course, which it's music is beyond phenomenal so...:happysheep:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Nuts and Bolts, Treetop Tumble, Water World and Rockface Rumble are my favorite DKC3 songs.
Those were probably the best out of the original soundtrack with Rockface Rumble being my fav of them by far.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I just bought DKC2, I've only played the first world so far since I've been busy, but it's still been a great experience. I can't wait to try out the rest of the game once I have the time, especially once I get to Kaptain K. Rool.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I played all games of the original DKC trilogy, but for what I remember DKC2 is the only game of the series I never beat. I also joined the hype train by downloading the first DKC game and I'm planning to download the entire trilogy later. Especially DKC2, I really need to beat this game. Sadly the large screen HDTV kinda ruins the graphics which become a bit too pixelated :laugh: maybe I could just watch the Gamepad's screen instead. After all I used to display Xenoblade on the Gamepad due to the game being not really adapted to the HD format, well, until the Gamepad started to constantly display "You cannot use the Gamepad's screen in Wii mode" for some reason.

I also want to express how I find the OP to be well-structured. I always had been a silent supporter of King K. Rool but the way how it is written and how his moveset potential is presented (explaining his abilities and how they could possibly work while leaving enough room for the reader's imagination) were enough to convince me to actively support him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, given the fact that the Donkey Kong franchise had experienced a great resurgence in popularity with Returns, it would've been easy to think that the Donkey Kong series would get a newcomer.
Because of this, I was shocked that the series didn't even receive a new Assist Trophy in Smash 4. The lack of a DK newcomer keeps me from saying that Smash 4 is the perfect Smash game.

Along with Rayman, King K. Rool is my most wanted character for DLC. The DK series deserves something special and if it would be anything, I would want King K. Rool to be a fighter.
I would love to be counted as a supporter. Here's to hoping that Rayman and King K. Rool will battle it out.
Even taken it in account that they focussed more on DKC: Returns rather than Tropical Freeze, it's still weird that Rambi is completely absent. But somehow, they where able to make a Pokémon rideable which hails from a game that was not even out officially. :rolleyes: Yes, no bias at all I get it. I guess a few nifty Diddy Kong cutscenes in the Subpar Space Emissary was enough for the DKC fans right? Despite the fact that Diddy logically should've been in 64 Melee anyway.

Tropical Freeze and Pokémon X / Y where released in roughtly the same time period, I think there is NO excuse for Sakurai to give Pokémon X / Y the priority with a newcomer, and a ****load of everything else whilst giving Tropical Freeze nothing, outside of a few mentions of Dixie's skills, and Diddy's release date on the mainsite.

I guess :4greninja: is just that much more important to Nintendo than Dixie Kong or King K.Rool.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Pokémon actually got less bias this time, only 1 newcomer with 2 non-clone cuts, compared to Brawl which gave it a whopping 4 non-clone newcomers.

By the way, I don't want to offend anyone but it seems a lot of people are a little too eager to point fingers towards other franchises as the reason why their favourite franchise got less representation. It's not the fault of the franchise or its fans. That's like shooting the messenger for informing you about the bad news.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Rockface Rumble seems to be considered the Aquatic Ambience or Stickerbrush Symphony of 3, but I've never really been a huge fan on it. Nutz and Boltz is definitely my jam.

3 is like the Wind Waker of DKC. It got a lot of hate when it came out, but looking back people are gradually starting to acknowledge that it's actually a very good game. Same thing goes for the soundtrack too.

I guess 2 is like OoT in that it's put on a pedestal. Difference is 2 has actually aged well.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Anyone else pre-order the ssbwii u/3-ds soundtrack? I got mine in today, looking at the track list, I am disgusted to see that Wario and Metroid have so few songs on there, heck Wario only has one which is Ashley's song. I'm glad they've got some DK songs on there though, Kongo Jungle 64, Sticker Brush Symphony, Gear Getaway, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Well, at least the amount of Kid Icarus songs aren't as biased on it as the content of it in the games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rockface Rumble seems to be considered the Aquatic Ambience or Stickerbrush Symphony of 3, but I've never really been a huge fan on it. Nutz and Boltz is definitely my jam.

3 is like the Wind Waker of DKC. It got a lot of hate when it came out, but looking back people are gradually starting to acknowledge that it's actually a very good game. Same thing goes for the soundtrack too.

I guess 2 is like OoT in that it's put on a pedestal. Difference is 2 has actually aged well.
Now I want a DKC2 remake / port for every generation... :urg:

I really, really wish DKC could've gotten the same amount of attention as Mario, Zelda and Pokémon though...

D

Deleted member

Finally got DKL 2 and III over the weekend. I've been waiting YEARS for them to be on the Virtual Console, and it's so good to see them make it in.

Again, this is probably a loaded comment, but would K. Rool be a good contender for costume-based alternate colors?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Finally got DKL 2 and III over the weekend. I've been waiting YEARS for them to be on the Virtual Console, and it's so good to see them make it in.

Again, this is probably a loaded comment, but would K. Rool be a good contender for costume-based alternate colors?
I'd think so, I can see him in a dark blue or red pirate captain coat besides his brown one. Also a black boxing suit would look pretty sweet on him too besides blue.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I think he definitely would, though he's only got four real costumes: King, Kaptain, Baron, Krusha. Either they'd have to invent new costumes, he has four costumes and one recolor for each costume, or they wait until he gets more costumes, in which case he'd need some new ones quickly.

They could plausibly give him his Pilot costume and Pharoah costume, then he'd need two more. Maybe he could get costumes based on Tiki Tong and Frederik.

But my bet is just go with the original four and give one recolor each.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool should just get the :4mii: treatment. Meaning, 3 different movesets, one character. Yes, they can sacrifice the current Mii's with a holy ritual in order for this to happen, no problem. While they are at it, do the same for :4ganondorf:.

D

Deleted member

I think he definitely would, though he's only got four real costumes: King, Kaptain, Baron, Krusha. Either they'd have to invent new costumes, he has four costumes and one recolor for each costume, or they wait until he gets more costumes, in which case he'd need some new ones quickly.

They could plausibly give him his Pilot costume and Pharoah costume, then he'd need two more. Maybe he could get costumes based on Tiki Tong and Frederik.

But my bet is just go with the original four and give one recolor each.
I ask this because when I thought of this a long time ago, the format would be King K. Rool, Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein, King Krusha K. Rool, and Pharoah K. Rool (from Mario Super Sluggers). I didn't think about the Pilot costume from the abandoned Donkey Kong Pilot project, however.

I do, however, think it would be interesting for him to have Tiki Tong and Lord Frederik themed costumes, although I do agree with the palette swap for each costume.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
IMO, palette swaps as different characters for excisting characters does more wrong than good.

I mean, this:

And this:

DOES -->> NOT <<-- EQUAL:

It just looks terrible, and I don't want it in mah Smash.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

And DK64 is Twilight Princess or maybe Skyward Sword (latter is questionable). Universally loved upon release but gets a lot of hate several years later.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It would be unlikely, but seeing all of K. Rool's moveset potential with the cannons and the traps and all that, wouldn't it be a good idea to give him the :4palutena: treatment?

Sure, it's unlikely, but it's something that I'd like to see.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
It would be unlikely, but seeing all of K. Rool's moveset potential with the cannons and the traps and all that, wouldn't it be a good idea to give him the :4palutena: treatment?

To be fair even though K. Rool has a lot of moveset potential I don't think that it's groundbreaking to the point of giving him the Palutena treatment. Heck Mega Man is quite possibly the character in Smash with the most groundbeaking unused moveset potential, with his current Smash moveset being only the tip of the iceberg, and yet his custom moves are only regular variations. At least they did him justice by making each custom variant an actual move from the Mega Man games.

Also if K. Rool gets the Palutena treatment, there's the possibility that he will take her concept of "generic default moveset, add more fantasy with customs". Because a reflector, a warp and a counter in the same moveset is so unique :sarcasm:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
What is everyone's favorite dkc game? (for the purposes of this, lets not include Returns or Tropical Freeze, I love TF, but im just talking about the original 3)
Mine would have to be 2. Diddy and Dixie are both better than donkey and kiddy imo, I loved the world themes so much, I liked the enemies, I thought the gameplay was the sharpest here, I like the animal buddies here (squitter was a great addition), I think the bosses are far better than they were in 1, and most of all I love the soundtrack.
What about you guys?
Donkey Kong Country 3 is my personal favorite. It gets a lot of flack because it was released so late into the lifespan of the SNES, and because people generally hate playing as "infantile" characters. However, it has always been my favorite game in the trilogy. The level design is unmatched in terms of variety, the music is ambient and atmospheric, and the overworld still feels large and expansive for a 2D platformer. Comparatively speaking, the overworlds in Retro's games are soulless. Now, the word "soul" is essentially meaningless jargon, but anybody who has played Donkey Kong Country 3 knows what I'm talking about. While it may not be everybody's cup of tea, you actually felt like you were making progess and going on a real adventure.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

No, I don't think so, because K. Rool has enough VARIATIONS with his existing moves to fill all those out.

Shoot Kannonballs? He can shoot them normal or spiked, have them bounce or rotate. He can shoot different types of gases, throw a krown or throw a boxing glove, drop kannonballs or other things down from the sky, perhaps do electrical charges (based on DKC3), etc.

Donkey Kong Country 3 is my personal favorite. It gets a lot of flack because it was released so late into the lifespan of the SNES, and because people generally hate playing as "infantile" characters. However, it has always been my favorite game in the trilogy. The level design is unmatched in terms of variety, the music is ambient and atmospheric, and the overworld still feels large and expansive for a 2D platformer. Comparatively speaking, the overworlds in Retro's games are soulless. Now, the word "soul" is essentially meaningless jargon, but anybody who has played Donkey Kong Country 3 knows what I'm talking about. While it may not be everybody's cup of tea, you actually felt like you were making progess and going on a real adventure.
DKC3 is a very well-polished game and is definitely superior to DKC2. However, Kiddy Kong isn't that great of a character. He doesn't look appealing and doesn't have the best personality, and he's also not as cool and DK. So DKC3 gets a lot of flack for Kiddy. Dixie and Diddy are a better "power combo" overall.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think some of the hate for Kiddy Kong spawns from him being basically a modified DK. They're both large apes that roll and have more powerful enemy stomping abilities. They could've just given the water skip to DK and had it be Kiddy and Diddy or just Diddy be captured by K.Rool.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I feel like I prefer 2 over 3 for primarily aesthetic reasons. I love the pirate motif, the bosses, the music and the final battle (which is a huge thing for me in any game) in 2, and the characters are both fun and endearing; conversely, I don't care for the mountain setting or the final battle of 3 as much as I do the former, though the bosses and music are still top-notch. There's also the fact that 2 was my first DK game, and 3 felt like a bit of a letdown after it. I still enjoyed it, but it didn't wow me as much as the former. The fact that it has my favourite motif, setting, kostume and epic finale just does it for me - I have yet to play Returns or Tropical Freeze, though, so maybe my mind will change after I try them out?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think some of the hate for Kiddy Kong spawns from him being basically a modified DK. They're both large apes that roll and have more powerful enemy stomping abilities. They could've just given the water skip to DK and had it be Kiddy and Diddy or just Diddy be captured by K.Rool.
Kiddy was only made to make Dixie stand out iirc

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel like I prefer 2 over 3 for primarily aesthetic reasons. I love the pirate motif, the bosses, the music and the final battle (which is a huge thing for me in any game) in 2, and the characters are both fun and endearing; conversely, I don't care for the mountain setting or the final battle of 3 as much as I do the former, though the bosses and music are still top-notch. There's also the fact that 2 was my first DK game, and 3 felt like a bit of a letdown after it. I still enjoyed it, but it didn't wow me as much as the former. The fact that it has my favourite motif, setting, kostume and epic finale just does it for me - I have yet to play Returns or Tropical Freeze, though, so maybe my mind will change after I try them out?
DKC2 is still my favorite even after playing both Returns and TF. Returns kinda has that DKC vibe to me. Returns is really more about nostalgia than anything else, and although it is a great game, I don't consider it as good as DKC2 or DKC3. And its arguably better than DKC for its gameplay mechanics, except that you cannot play as Diddy in single player whatsoever.

Another problem I have with Returns/TF is it feels like you're playing the games more zoomed out. In DKC you're closer into the characters and can see them so clearly, but even DK himself looks tiny in Returns/TF. TF is simply amazing, though. Its a magnificent game. I still think DKC2 is better, but you might like TF better than DKC3.

If TF had the ability to play as the other Kongs in single player (before Hard; once you unlock Hard you can play as the other Kongs solo), more Animal Buddies, and the Kremlings, I'd say TF was the best DKC.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC3 is an amazing game indeed. Very fast overworld, with a lot to explore. Side-quests, collecting, mini games, many secrets, whoa DKC3 really was a good end to the triology. Damn how much I would've liked it if there ever could be a DKC4 for SNES... Maybe in the far future, where people are buying up SNESes massively and there's an insane outcry for more of them... Rare suddenly being able to create DKC4 with the help of former Rare staff and some good Nintendo dudes, and damn, best game ever. I can only dream what they would've been capable of making after DKC3. DK64 doesn't really do it, but it gives an idea of what they could do if they didn't focus their effort too much on other titles...

I still want my 2.5D DKC platformer with a great overworld like DKC3, awesome level design and deep gameplay like DKC2 and the awesome envoirmental ambient feeling of DKC1. Don't do Retro-styled tagteams with it either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wanted to be able to play as Diddy solo SO, DAMN, BADLY... :urg:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I enjoyed the 2 player ability in DKCR though. It was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Who is everyone's favourite Kong to use in the original Country games?

I know this is just going to be Diddy vs Dixie, but I'm curious to see whether people prefer speed or beginner's aid.

I obviously use Diddy for all of 1 except for the (spoiler)Oil Drum Boss. In 2 I always used Diddy as my primary Kong. Mostly because I like his speed, but also because if I lose a Kong I have Dixie for backup, who is safer. Normally I play slower and more cautious with her. But now I'm starting to use Dixie more, I feel kind of nooby but I like fooling around with her hair. In 3 Dixie is my primary Kong.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The Retro games' Kong mechanics didn't initially appeal to me, and while I'd still prefer to play as each Kong separately in the main game, I have a better appreciation for the mechanic now, knowing what it accomplishes.

It allows for a multiplayer system where the more experienced player controls the more difficult-to-control DK and the weaker player controls a helper Kong with a power-up. They can either play side-by-side or with the helper Kong on the back of the "leader of the bunch" if they need help (it also captures how smaller monkeys ride on the backs of larger ones in the wild).

The mechanic coherently translates into single player, also serving to push DK into the spotlight of which Miyamoto and co. feel he was robbed back in the 90's. In TF, Retro also offered a compromise for the people wanting to play as the individual Kongs by allowing you to choose your Kong for Hard Mode. In general, it also retains the function of the tag-team mechanic by having the helper Kong provide the player with additional hits (albeit two instead of one).

Whether it changes at all next game probably depends on whether Retro wants to introduce a new mechanic or simply continue to refine the old one. Maybe they'll introduce a second 'larger' character like people were theorizing about for TF, so as to allow for four-player multiplayer instead of just two.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I know this is just going to be Diddy vs Dixie, but I'm curious to see whether people prefer speed or beginner's aid.

I obviously use Diddy for all of 1 except for the (spoiler)Oil Drum Boss. In 2 I always used Diddy as my primary Kong. Mostly because I like his speed, but also because if I lose a Kong I have Dixie for backup, who is safer. Normally I play slower and more cautious with her. But now I'm starting to use Dixie more, I feel kind of nooby but I like fooling around with her hair. In 3 Dixie is my primary Kong.
DKC:
100%
0%
DKC2:
100%
0%
DKC3:
70%
30%

I just really love Diddy's fast playstyle and how he easily has the best roll in the triology, thus also the furthest jump- outside Dixie's Helicopter Spin. I think that he's truely the best character out of the triology, because he's significantly faster than Dixie, and especially DK. Only weakness is Krusha's in DKC1, cause Diddy can deal with Klumps and Armies just fine.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
DKC:
100%
0%
DKC2:
100%
0%
DKC3:
70%
30%

I just really love Diddy's fast playstyle and how he easily has the best roll in the triology, thus also the furthest jump- outside Dixie's Helicopter Spin. I think that he's truely the best character out of the triology, because he's significantly faster than Dixie, and especially DK. Only weakness is Krusha's in DKC1, cause Diddy can deal with Klumps and Armies just fine.
Yeah he was by far the best in the original trilogy.Then they made him useless in TF except for like 2 water levels.

Seriously is there any reason to use Diddy in TF on land. Does he have any sort of niche at all that makes him remotely useful. DK in DKC1 at least could kill stronger enemies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Used both
and
a lot in DKC, similarly used both
and
in DKC2. (Dixie is useful for the harder parts.) DKC3 was mostly

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Personally, I prefer DK as a character (him and Cranky are my favorite Kongs) out of the four original playables, but typically use Diddy and/or Dixie in the actual games.

On the note of me preferring DK, I recently came to own the new figurine of him, the one that came packaged with a description that name-dropped K. Rool. The figurine is tough to keep standing up, but it's a great depiction of the character.

Top Bottom