• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jibanyan the Charm Yo-Kai for DLC! (Move to the new discussion thread in NintenZone subforum!)

Are you going to buy Yo-kai Watch!

• Total voters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There's not much of a deep story to Yo-kai Watch, but something about it makes me want to keep watching the next and next episodes. It's probably because of the comedy and the Yo-kai lore it has. It's a special, unique anime to me.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

And it looks like Gamexplain is at it again, but this time with a preview of the English version of Yokai Watch. Derek's more or less showing us how the gameplay works, what Pokemon aspects it has, and a few other things.

On a side note, the Yokai Watch hate is real in the comment section. Mostly detractors saying how it's a dumbed down Pokemon without the competitive aspects of it and too much childish comedy. Though I'm sure that some will probably change their mind when they see more of it.

TikiFan

Smash Journeyman
If there will be a Yokai Watch-level in Smash4. What name will get that?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Looks we have big news!

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...eam-for-level-5-abby-inc-a-games-animation-fo
- partnership between Level-5 and Dentsu
- new subsidiary created named Level-5 Abby Inc
- aims to create, produce, and distribute game and animation content from Japan for children, adults, and fans worldwide
- release will be across all platforms and devices
- the name takes the “a” from the words “all” and “anything,” and the “bby” from “hobby,” to form “Abby”
- Level-5 Abby’s first project is the western localization of Yo-kai Watch

TV Anime

America – Begins broadcasting October 5 at 5:00 p.m. on Disney XD
Canada – Begins broadcasting October 10 at 2:00 p.m. on Teletoon

Manga

North America – Begins serialization via VIZ Media on November 3

Video Game

North America – Yo-kai Watch will launch for 3DS via Nintendo on November 6

Toy Line

North America – Toy line launching via Hasbro in winter 2016
Huge promotion for the game starts for real. So excited!

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Wow, they're going all-out it seems.

But all that talking about US and Canada made me fear about the future in Europe, for some reason...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Looks we have big news!

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...eam-for-level-5-abby-inc-a-games-animation-fo

Huge promotion for the game starts for real. So excited!
Winter 2016 better mean at least January or December, getting a Yokai Watch toy would be the perfect gift for my baby cousin. He's been crazy about the game for a while and even agreed that the show might absorb most of his time than Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures (Thank God).

I'm assuming that the 5:00 pm air date must mean PST for the U.S.

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
I just voted for him. I remember to vote only the first day of the ballot for Grovyle, but more than for the character (who I think is the best replacement of Ivysaur) it was because I want a stage and music of the Explorers games.

I'll be happy with any of these: Wolf, Bandana Dee, Jibanyan (and Yo-kai stage), Grovyle and/or a Splatoon stage.

Last edited:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
I viewed the first 20 episodes or so more than a year ago and I don't remember a lot of them, I will rewatch them in English now.

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
I've just seen the first episode of the second season and I think I even like Inaho more than Keita. Being used to Keita's normal character (I love when people point him out about it), having a protagonist with such a personality like the one of that girl is refreshing.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
So far, I like Inaho as a character, but I still prefer Keita. I mean, you can't just Replacea the Keita.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just got a Yokai Watch add that played the Geragerapo intro twice on YouTube when going through One Piece videos. It will play at 5PM EST, which is 4PM CT. That's more than enough of a sign that I need to record today's episode since my class ends exactly a half hour before the show airs.

YOKAI WATCH PREMIERE HYPE!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's a miracle! I got Disney XD before the premiere!
SUUUUPPPERRRR HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPEEE!!!!!!
I CANNOT WAIT!
At least you can watch it on time while I still have nearly 20 minutes until this class is over. With the weather being bad, then I would be at lest halfway through the episode by time I make it home. Thank Jibanyan for Xfinity recordings though. :laugh:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Woah! They're REALLY going all out. I'll try to find it tomorrow to watch while having breakfast.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
They changed the word pudding to yogurt. 0/10. Worst dub ever.

But really, I enjoyed it. I was expecting GeraGeraPo to be shortened more, but It barely was, which is great. The voices were pretty good and it was fun stuff. I like it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The dub itself wasn't too bad and I was laughing throughout the entire thing. Mostly because Jibanyan had me rolling in the other half of the episode with the whole conflict between his parents (which my Mom overanalyzed). :laugh:

S
omething tells me that I would love watching this dub every week since I managed to find something much better than the Ghostly Adventures (which sucks).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Episode 2 airs tomorrow and the other 3 airs this week. This is going to be hard to do especially with school coming. ._.
Welp, time to start recording these episodes like there's no tomorrow and enjoy them on the weekend.

Stupid professor interview project....

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My thoughts on YW episode 2:
Kappa's voice is spectacularly good!
Katie's voice is getting better!
Bear's voice is incredible laughable, seriously.
They censored the Nyakb band's clothing, which is to be expected. Renamed to Harmeowny.
Awesome episode overall.

Also, 300,000 viewers have already seen the premiere, which is pretty decent for Disney XD.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121122

Last edited:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
I'm liking more and more Whisper's voice, sometimes it gets very funny registers.

So NyanKB Is now Harmeowny? I didn't get a lot of Jibanyan's darkest secrets, that paniqued voice was a little hard to understand for me.

I find Bear's voice a little too dumb for him. I'm curious about Jinmenken and Komasan's voices now.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So looks like we're rating Jibanyan's chances for tomorrow, I would've prepared for this earlier, but I just forgot.
Any additional points we could use to help show Jibanyan's chances are getting better?

What should we improve upon in this? This was the last rating I gave:

Jibanyan Chance: 20%

Jibanyan is the icon of the extremely popular franchise in Japan from Level-5. In the games, the gameplay revolves around searching around Sakura New Town for Yo-kai, Yo-kai are supernatural spirits who roam around the town haunting and causing mischief to people, one player can befriend (or catch to put it in Pokemon terms) one of these by giving them good they like before beginning the battle and defeating them (basically similar to Pokemon to a large extent). Jibanyan is one of these kinds of creatures found in-game, a fire-attribute Yo-kai and the most iconic out of all of them. The actual battle gameplay involves a rotating spinner that can be used to switch Yokai, clear up status effects, or charge up a Yo-kai's special abilities to win at battle.

Since the first game's debuted, it has become a massive phenomenon in Japan with exploding with manga, anime, and merchandise across every street of Japan, selling in at over 7 million copies of the games total, as much of a fast pace as Pokemon. With it's success and upcoming release in the West, he's already an immediate qualifier for Sakurai to advertise the game in West and increase Yo-kai Watch exposure. He's already being highly requested in Japan too, so he's definitely under Sakurai's radar right now if he didn't plan him pre-ballot.

Here's a potential special moves for Jibanyan for those who aren't convinced, created by @@BandanaWaddleDee :

B: Komanyachi (the wiki doesn't really explain what the animations for his moves are, so I can't be sure)

Side B: Possession (He possesses an opponent near him and puts a paralysis charm on them, which paralyzes them for a bit, that's what the wiki says his possession does)

Up B: Hyakuretsunikukyu (does a barrage of flurry punches with his paws, which can also be used to recover

Down B: Nyoe (works like Diddy Kong's peanut popgun. charges up his attack and hits anyone around him, but if he charges up too much, he hurts himself comedicly)

Final Smash: Robonyan (switches out with his future self, which is not really bigger, but he's stronger, and faster too. Can fire rocket punches, use his jetpack, transform into a car, etc)

If you need more proof that Yokai Watch is extremely popular, then check out this:

This of itself describes the amount of success shown Yokai Watch has gotten, it's like what happened when Pokemon boomed like crazy in Japan when the games were released.

If you want a quick summary of Yokai Watch from someone else, mai boy Etika has you covered:

But, but! His game hasn't been released in other regions yet! That means he's ineligible right?
Right now, the situation could change after the game releases in 2016 in America and Europe. Given the staggering popularity of the franchise right now, there is the potential good chance Smash may aid the Yokai Watch franchise with a newcomer just like with Marth and Roy when they were added in Melee when their franchise was very popular. Given with booming Pokemon-like success with Yokai Watch in Japan, Sakurai may give Jibanyan a shot at being playable even the game hasn't been localized yet.

HE'S NOT AS SUPER ICONIC AS RYU, MARIO, MEGAMAN, SONIC, AND PAC-MAN! He can't be in Smash ever.
Yet, there is no specific criteria rules other than the interview in Famitsu in October and his "special case" criteria. We don't know if Sakurai will just strictly add just super famous icons as DLC, for all we know, he could just change his mind even though Sakurai said things against certain characters like "no fighting game characters aloud" pre-Smash 4. If the rules can be broken for fighting game characters, the unconfirmed rules can be potentially broken for 3rd parties too.

Jibanyan Want:
85%
I've became very invested in the Yokai Watch anime as of recent, and I have watched a whole load of to understand why Yo-kai Watch is such a phenomenon in Japan. It has a lot of very inventive ideas and characters, the idea of Yo-kai creatures really warm up to you pretty easily, and it gets pretty addicting as more episodes come by (P.S. the protagonist also collects lots of different Yokai, including legendary ones, unlike Ash.

I'm sure the appeal is probably the same with the games too. I really want to see Jibanyan in, Jibanyan vs. Pikachu is probably the biggest rivalry I want to see right now. Trust me when I say it will become a phenomenon in other countries too (quite possibly outnumbering Pokemon too), I can guarantee that many of you are going to be fans of it once it releases in 2016.

Nominations:
x5 Viridi

If you're interested, feel free to take a look at the support thread if you're interested in learning more about the franchise.

Last edited:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
I remember reading it some time ago. Sadly, it's too early to probe its success in the west, so not much has changed since then...

Smash bros is not above using content on the game to promote others who hasn't been released yet (melee Roy and Wooly World) so we can use it, but this time it's a third party published by Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom