• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jibanyan the Charm Yo-Kai for DLC! (Move to the new discussion thread in NintenZone subforum!)

Are you going to buy Yo-kai Watch!

• Total voters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Before you start reading my rating, please take a listen to these two songs:
Now in English!

Jibanyan Chance:

25%

Jibanyan is a Fire-Attribute Yo-kai of the Charming tribe who is the icon of a extremely popular franchise in Japan. (From the creators of Professor Layton)

Yo-kai are supernatural spirits who roam around the town haunting and causing mischief to people, ranging from Yo-kai that can make a person suddenly want to pee to one that can force you buy unnecessary things when you're out shopping. The premise itself is different from Pokemon as the player's goal revolves around searching the town of Springdale with the use
of a special device called the Yo-kai Watch to search, battle, and befriend Yo-kai to stop their bad deeds.

The gameplay of Yo-kai Watch is vastly different from Pokemon too. The only elements they share is that they involve a large amount of creatures to collect. After that, that is where the similarities between the two end. Unlike the usual RPG turn-based battle system, Yo-Kai Watch's battles takes place in real-time. Your party auto-fights opponents, and as they do, you use their special abilities to aid you in battle.

Since the first game's debut, Yo-kai Watch has become a massive phenomenon in Japan with exploding with manga, anime, spinoffs, mobile games, and merchandise across every street of Japan, selling in at over 7 million copies of the franchise's games total.
(Combining Yo-kai Watch Busters' sales, it goes up to over 8 billion)
(Another fact: The second YW game outsold Pokemon Omega Ruby/Sapphire in sales).

I'll be listing EVERYTHING that made Yokai Watch extremely popular in Japan:

Japanese promotional poster for the anime. Currently claimed as one of the top 10 children anime of Japan.

The Yokai Watch movie promotional poster. The movie made $55 million (¥6.5 billion in yen) since its hit debut, also making the biggest grossing opening of any Japanese movie since 2000.

Merchandise of this franchise in Japan has been selling like hotcakes, as The toys Namco Bandai has been making for Yokai Watch have been selling over 10 billion yen ($93 billion in U.S.) to show its staggering success. Many Japanese stores has Yo-kai Watch merchandise ready to buy! The medals are also compatible with the arcade machines YW has, which is also extremely popular with kids.

It doesn't end there... there's still more Yo-kai Watch to come, this spawned more than just the ones I listed!

An upcoming attraction for Universal Studios Japan, YW has gotten so popular to warrant its own attraction.

It's already has its name ingrained in restaurants, stores, trains, and even a Japanese singing group.
mogmog burgers, YW's parody of Mcdonalds, this Mcdonalds recently just transformed into its parody counterpart.

NyaKB, YW's parody of the popular AKB48 band, whom AKB48 actually partnered with Level-5 with to do concerts for them.

One of the many trains you can find in Japan now.

Cars for the iconic Komasan and Komajiro characters of YW. Expanding from merchandise to cars is crazy!?!?!?!?!

Yo-kai Watch advertisement in a Japanese theme park.

The first official YW store called "Yorozumart" coming in Tokyo this October. Shows how much the franchise has gained.

I also have to mention the music
especially!

This very music video spawned a large collection of catchy songs that reigned over Japan as one of the top songs in Japan, with over 100,000,000+ views total. Various parodies were made for the song as well.

Ranging from the very catchy Gera Gera Po (Yo-kai Watch's anime opening song):

to the Dan Dan Zombie Zubah:

to the "Idol wa Ooh-Nya-Nya no Ken"

to the catchy Uchu Dance:

These music reigned so high, that a Just Dance version was created to show its high popularity:
The songs expanded into concerts and live shows in most of the Asian countries like Taiwan and Singapore:
Watched by thousands of people when a concert comes.

People worldwide and in Japan as a whole already know the songs and dances:

This as a whole represents Youkai Watch's popularity as a franchise. With YW having so many accomplishments done with its raging success in the east and high amount of requests in Japan, he's already an immediate candidate for the ballot.

The only issues Jibanyan has to deal with is his Japan status as it may really hurt his chances in the long run, potential competition with Layton, and the fact his franchise may also be considered too new to Sakurai since it's only been two years since the franchise started. Right now, the situation could change after the game releases in America and Europe. It's already get a ****load of advertisement right now with the anime (which recently aired in Disney XD), manga (recently released in stores now), and large amount of promotion Nintendo is aiding with:

According to the English Writer for the Yo-kai Watch anime, promotion for the game will hit like a tidal wave:

Given with booming Pokemon-like success with Yokai Watch in Japan, Sakurai may give Jibanyan a shot at being playable even the game hasn't been localized yet to make up for the fact his franchise is too new and Japan only for now with its large promotion coming in the West and Europe.

Summing things up, these are the reasons why I consider Jibanyan's chances better than some people think.

Jibanyan Want:
100%
I'll be honest, when I first collaborated with PoopFeast420 PoopFeast420 and @BandannaWaddleDee , I didn't think I would like the franchise at all.

Then I watched the anime, and kept watching it as the show kept amusing me and kept me laughing with Keita's slice of life with various different Yo-kai. (You should watch it for yourself, there's a load of meme worthy material in it) Sooner or later, I began to hum the songs Japan was raving about and did a lot of research of how popular Yo-kai Watch is in Japan, and holy **** there was a lot to know, it's amazing to see what Yo-kai Watch has accomplished in the span of 2 years.

I'm incredibly hyped for this game, and my avatars of Katie/Fumi show immediate proof of that. I already got imported YW merchandise staying next to my desk in my room and took the liberty to buy Disney XD, solely for the Yo-kai Watch english dub (and Gravity Falls).

If Jibanyan got inya~, I'd scream "MONGEE!" and be really damn hyped for his WON-DA-FUL! inclusionya~, so hyped that it would make Jinmenken piss in a pole somewhere that would make him go to jail yet again.

In my top 3 in character wants now.

If you're interested, feel free to take a look at the support thread if you're interested in learning more about the franchise.

How is my analysis?

Last edited:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Wow, great analysis BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 .

I was reading the RTC comments of Jibanyan and one made me realise something.
I'm not sure about the relationship between Yo-kai and Pokemon, but they are certainly rivals there in Japan, so... how would Game Freak and The Pokemon Company react if Yo-kai watch is planned to get some kind of representation in the game? Game Freak is a second party, not completely owned by Nintendo, so they can really make pressure against the inclusion of anything yo-kai related...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well Yo-kai Watch is being aided by Nintendo for an international release, the ones who helped gave Pokemon the fame it has today. I'd feel like they would be ok with inclusion, especially when a match-up like Jibanyan vs. Pikachu could net them lots of money. Game Freak doesn't seem to bother, and it made me realize how close of a dream a YW vs. Pokemon crossover could happen.

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
I hope you are right, they are compared so many times that you can think they are sworn enemies :p

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
Relogged into this account just to post my feelings (some of which were already gone over by BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 ) on why I feel that Jibanyan is (in my opinion) highly likely to be either dlc for smash 4 or even considered in future games, and in typical fashion from myself, I will be numbering them.
  1. Yokai Watch's Popularity in Japan: For most of Pokemon's life span, it had encountered similar games/anime that used concepts and cute mascot characters that wished to rival its popularity. For most people, especially in the US, when they think about these contenders, their thoughts immediately shift to Digimon. While yes, Digimon did provide a notable challenge to Pokemon, it eventually lost out in competition and fell to the wayside. Yokai Watch however is providing likely the biggest threat to Pokemon's popularity, as children are attracted to the folklore inspired characters, as most of the monsters are based off of the Yokai of Japanese Folklore. Jibanyan, the main character is at the forefront, as his Catlike appearance is more appealing to the children of today, which in itself was a smart business move, as cats are extremely aesthetically pleasing.
  2. The Anime Effect: The full reason why Yokai Watch rose so rapidly to the position it is in Japan is due to the anime. I watched a few snippets from the show and realized that compared to pokemon, it contained more gags and likely, pop culture references when compared to say, Pokemon. This makes it more attention grabbing for both the child and the parents.
  3. Its overall Video Game sales: Overall, Yokai Watch has sold millions of copies in each of its releases in Japan, which in itself is amazing, as if one considered the fact that the birthrate in Japan hasn't been the best these days, it still sells extremely wlle. I even managed to run into around 20 people from japan who had played the game via streetpass.
I can't think of anymore reasons so :p

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Check out the play nintendo website (target towards children)
Jibanyan is next to Pikachu.

Looks like Hideo Kojima himself knows of Jibanyan:
It's an old tweet.
Jibanyan and Snake confirmed for Smash!

Last edited:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm... I was thinking it could be possible a Jibanyan Amiibo (even if not smash related) and medals with the NTC technology for Yo-Kai Watch 3 could be a good idea.

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
I'd certainly buy it. But who knows when the second, let alone the third will reach us...

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
It's so annoying when people scoff at Jibanyan's chances, saying that he won't make it because he is only known in the west, and then proceeds to talk up Shovel Knight's chances instead. It's the same situation, only Japanese-only characters have been added before, while Western-only characters have never been added to Smash before. The characters themselves will have to be visible for Sakurai to consider them for the game.

Anyhow, I got Yokai watch in the post today! Haven't booted it up yet, as I'm going to a Smash tournament tomorrow, and have spent the day practicing instead. Tomorrow night, though, I'm going to grab the phrasebook and give it a shot. Wish me luck. I think I'll learn a lot of vocabulary, at least.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I nominate Manjimutt as the best character in the show. Seriously, this guy managed to top both Whisper and Jibanyan in the laugh factor due to his loser luck alone.

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
It was pretty mild for me, I think.
The most disturbing thing is again spacesuit whisper from the ending. :p

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. do you know where can I see episode 5? I can't find it...

Last edited:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Thank you! I tried searching google and youtube but I was fruitless.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel that Joe (creator of Serebii) is starting to research with all of his might to bring out negative YW news:

I'm starting to dislike him a bit more. Fans don't have to be so heated about this.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's not just him, but the hardcore Pokemon fanboys are also trying to downgrade Yo-Kai Watch in many ways. They say that the games are childish, lacks that competitive stroke Pokemon had, and even complained about the show having too much toilet humor. Maybe seeing some reviews of the game and Western sales next month ought to kill off the negativity?

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Well, the "hater" factor from the hardcore Pokemon fanbase was to be expected. Yo-Kai Watch is their biggest competitor and it's now showing up in the west. In a way, they're afraid which explains the negative talk. Will Yo-Kai Watch become a big thing in the west? Only time and sales will tell. From what I've seen so far, the dub is great and it has potential on becoming big.

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Yep, if they make so much effort in putting down Yo-kai Watch is because they feel threatened by it, that's a good sign :p

But Pokemon and YW don't have to exclude each other, you can like both.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As someone who's been watching the Japanese dub of Yo-Kai Watch since it started, I would love for Jibanyan to be in Smash. Despite what the hardcore Poketards say, he would have the perfect rivalry with Pikachu and it's a match that many people in Japan would like to see. There's just something about that red bakeneko that is so adorable, even if he's a little perve that loves idols (I'd still hug the **** out of him though).

Sign me up on that list, pronto.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Last edited:

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the thread AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 It's true many Pokemon fans hate anything Yo-kai Watch related, it's like the typical Console Wars and such, people need to validate their choice by bringing down anything new or different, it's just too much ego on my book...

One question, now when do they air the English dub episodes? I heard it'll be on tuesdays, just to be sure.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's just Tuesday for this week due to a holiday, after that, everything will be every Monday.
Good, planning on watching that soon now that I got some important things out of the way. The show's ratings actually look pretty decent for now, though who's to say that it can't get better in the future.

As someone who's been watching the Japanese dub of Yo-Kai Watch since it started, I would love for Jibanyan to be in Smash. Despite what the hardcore Poketards say, he would have the perfect rivalry with Pikachu and it's a match that many people in Japan would like to see. There's just something about that red bakeneko that is so adorable, even if he's a little perve that loves idols (I'd still hug the **** out of him though).

Sign me up on that list, pronto.
And there you are, supporting things because they are cute like the many figures you own. I take it that there are some merchandise that you plan on buying from Yo-Kai Watch in the future? :3

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
So, between the demo and the full game there will be little more than a week. I hope a demo comes soon to Europe too, at least...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The demo got delayed to October 22nd. Nintendo Y U LYING!

Seriously Nintendo, seriously? I was looking forward to trying the demo and now my hopes had been successfully dashed. Mother of Chaos. :urg:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Blizzaria X Jibanyan is my OTP. This couple is both hot and cold to match the intensity of your average tsundere.

:troll:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Oh thank God, this thread exists.

I've been watching the anime for about a month, and man, oh man, it's a breath of fresh air from Pokemon (speaking as a Pokemon fan). It's just so alive and creative (Steve Jaws, I mean, come on), and the dub is legitimately solid.

And since Nintendo is heavily promoting the game, they must have a lot of faith in it...

So, yeah, I'll gladly support Jibanyan!

Top Bottom