• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

jaystring

Smash Ace
This is exactly the issue. If you leave images indexed, Brawlbox tends to throw an exception. Best bet would be to index, then return to normal afterwards to avoid this issue for users who dont have Photoshop.

ToaFierceDeityLink ToaFierceDeityLink Open the images in Paint.net and resave them.
that's weird because I always import my icons with the exact same file I shared online (so the indexed png file) and never had errors.

can it be related to a Brawlbox version? (I'm still using 0.76b, never had icons issues)

anyway, knowing that now, in the future, I'll convert them back to regular images after the color reduction. this will make it more compatible to everyone!

for older stuff, indeed just saving back the image from about any image editing program should "un-index" it.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I thought I show off my work on Cloud Sprites... Hope it give Jaystring ideas.View attachment 116016
Nice job!! Doing Recolors for Cloud is going to be really fun once i'm at that part!

jaystring hi how's it going?
Doing fine thanks!

I've been quiet the past weeks but that doesn't mean I've not been modding.

I'm preparing something new that I'll show really soon. I just got to prepare all the screenshots and stuff.

I apologize in advance that it's not related to Cloud. Cloud's progressing too but at a slow pace. Nothing to show yet.

I've been playing MGS5 lately (yeah I know i'm late) and I felt like doing some new mods on the serie.

Fans of Snake and MGS will be happy I think!

jaystring

Smash Ace
inb4 Quiet for ZSS
I've yet to take a look at MGS5 model to see if they could possibly be ported to Brawl. so no Quiet just yet sorry!

I need to work on MGS5... I've had the game since December and I'm still on the 1st mission.
It's a good game! but where I'm at right now (25-30h in), it's getting a bit repetitive (it's still fun, just a bit "watered down" compared to older titles which where actually too short if you remove cutscenes!)

jaystring

Smash Ace
So!

I've already mentioned yesterday that I was working on some MGS stuff. Here's the first 2 project! (I've got 4 right now)

Brace yourself, it's gonna be a long message!

The first one is a huge MGS3 snake pack. This pack will contain :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) A fixed Project M MGS3 Snake skin.

The project M model MGS3 Snake model was really cool but has some minor issues here and there that I went and fixed:

1- The hair bandana was badly rendered because XLU material where used for the hair but the maker of the mod forgot to set the drawpriorities. (fixed version on the right)

2- The radio antenna on the back of Snake's belt was rendered backward. (fixed on the right)

3- fixed the CQC Knife that was deformed for some reason (fixed on the right)

4- Fixed multiple skinning issues like the tip of the eye patch not been placed correctly (fixed on the right)

5- deleted some unused polygon inside the model, saving a bit on triangles.

6- Fix moving eyes and moving yellow eyes. The PM model had it's eye material named "eyeL" instead of "EyeL" making them actually not work in-game. They worked in Brawlbox but not in-game. seem like it's case sensitive in-game. (fix on the right)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) HD textures

Since the MGS3 PM model is an almost exact port of the MGS3 model and I had the MGS HD collection's texture at hand, I was able to make HD textures for all the MGS3 snakes I'll be showing up.

Some texture got upgraded more then others (like the face) but most texture at least double in resollution size)

They are also compatible with vanilla MGS3 snake if for some reason you don't want to use my fixed version

3) a whole bunch of new skins. Including ;

Virtuous Mission Snake

Naked Snake

Tuxedo Snake

Tuxedo Snake with EyePatch

Sneaking Suit Snake

MGS3 Snake without the eye patch :

End Game Big Boss costume (still been worked on right now)

Since I bothered to do the beret version for this last costume, I think i'll also be adding another non canon costume like this one :

3) MGS3 Camos and facepaints

yeah that's right, almost all MGS3 camos and facepaint have been adapted to my default MGS3 model (the facepaints will work on all bandana version of snake, the camo works with his default MGS3 costume). There's a total of 46 camos and 18 facepaints making the total possible number of combination to 828 costume.

I'm not going to include pac/pcs file for all these but i'll include the textures ready to be imported in Brawlbox so you can all make the recolors you want yourself!

Here a couple of exemple of what you can do with camos and facepaints :

Some more exemple Here

The camo and facepaints will all come with HD texture version too! (they'll probably not all be named correctly so a dump and renaming will be required for them to work. People playing with HD texture will know how do to this, it's pretty simple)

4) A make your own CSP idea I had.

Ok so I think everyone will understand that I will not be able to do 828 CSPs so I've thought of an idea for allowing people to have a CSP of their camo/facepaints combination.

This is a test i'll be doing, not sure how it will turn out but here's what I'm gonna try.

Once I have decided a pose for snake for my CSP version, i'll render separately with transparency all the different bodies with camo and all the different heads with facepaints.

Then, with simple image editing skill like photoshop, you'll be able to combine both the head of your choice with the body of your choice to make a CSP out of the camo/facepaint combination you'll want to use.

In theorie it sounds like it could work really well, i'll try it out to see.

ok so this conclude the first project!! The second one is this :

FOR DOLPHIN WITH HD TEXTURES ONLY : MGS4 Old Snake.

Ok, so I apologize for Wii User, this one is only for Dolphin with HD texture.

The reason is because of Filesize limit. It's extremely tight for Snake (my MGS3 model are already reaching the limit) and as you can imagine a PS4 model is much heavier then a Wii 3d model

Despite the optimization I tried, there was no way to make this one work other then downscaling texture to almost nothing in order for it not to crash the game then use HD texture to make him look good again.

Technically it should work on Wii BUT that is if you can tolerate to have him look like this :

As you can see, the import is already done and working really well but I want to polish and "Brawlifie" a bit his textures and add specular to his suit etc before releasing him so expect some updates on his look

Old Snake will come in 4 version

Old Snake with Solid Eye
Old Snake without Solid Eye
Young Snake with Solid Eye
Young Snake without Solid Eye

Ok that's it for today! I'm keeping my 2 other MGS project for later!!

Last edited:

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Tuxedo Snake's gonna be a thing? Huzzah! IIRC someone else started work on one a while back but nothing came of it as far as I know.

All of these look awesome, though. Also looking forward to having higher def MGS3 Snake textures.

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
For Old Snake, you did not optimize the model at all. My main recommendation would be to edit the textures to have them repeat, mostly for the pouches. You could also optimize the models in the hair, mechanical eyepatch (idk what the proper name is), and the pouches (replace the curves with lower poly 90 degree shifts, like there is something inside. There's probably more I can't see, but those are some areas where you can lower the poly count without any significant reduction in quality.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Tuxedo Snake's gonna be a thing? Huzzah! IIRC someone else started work on one a while back but nothing came of it as far as I know.

All of these look awesome, though. Also looking forward to having higher def MGS3 Snake textures.
Thank you!

yes!! Tuxedo Snake is already finished actually. One of the first one I ported.

I wasn't aware earlier that other people wanted to make a mod out of him. I started mine from scratch from MGS3 files.

For Old Snake, you did not optimize the model at all. My main recommendation would be to edit the textures to have them repeat, mostly for the pouches. You could also optimize the models in the hair, mechanical eyepatch (idk what the proper name is), and the pouches (replace the curves with lower poly 90 degree shifts, like there is something inside. There's probably more I can't see, but those are some areas where you can lower the poly count without any significant reduction in quality.
yes and no. I did optimize him but only to a point where it would be visually invisible. I stopped where it would start to visually cut quality

For exemple, the original head bandana had 1560 triangle that I cut down to 114 (it was crazy high res, probably to have super good physic deformation).

I also split his head in multiple piece so that facial expression would only switch some part of his face instead of the whole head (saving 988 triangle multiplied by 5 facial expression)

both of these tweak had zero impact on quality.

In terms of polycount, It's totally true that it can be optimized much much more then this, I agree with you but it wasn't the point of my project.

I didn't want to make him a huge optimization project. It's a long and tedious task so I want to keep this only to very special project (like a certain Hyrule Warriors King of Evil for exemple)

If you would like to give it a try to make a Wii version out of him, I would be happy to share all my source data with you so you can start from it if you want!

as of today, the model for Old Snake, including facial expression has 19415 triangles.(it's less then my Wii U Roy that is standing at 21587 tri right now))

I was totally impress by the fact that for a PS3 model, it's impressively not that high res. Hyrule Warriors model are in the 30 000 triangles for some of them.

I thought filesize was tricky on Roy before, it's a hell lot worst on Snake.

MGS3 snakes are hovering around the filesize limit and they are at 11 000k triangle (but has a lot of small texture and materials) (Default Brawl Snake has 11357 tri). MGS4 Snake would need to get about 9000k triangle cut to have decent textures in it's pac file. (would be possible to do but a big task)

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
yes and no. I did optimize him but only to a point where it would be visually invisible. I stopped where it would start to visually cut quality
I do see some areas where you could ha opmized further, but it would all be minor reductions.

In terms of polycount, It's totally true that it can be optimized much much more then this, I agree with you but it wasn't the point of my project.
Yes, since this was meant to take a few days at most.

I didn't want to make him a huge optimization project. It's a long and tedious task so I want to keep this only to very special project (like a certain Hyrule Warriors King of Evil for exemple)
HYPE

If you would like to give it a try to make a Wii version out of him, I would be happy to share all my source data with you so you can start from it if you want!
Sure... If I had any model skill whatsoever. I can barely even move vertices in Brawl Box without ****ing the whole thing up. (I tried editing your Megaman to be like http://gamebanana.com/skins/146357, and it didn't end well)

as of today, the model for Old Snake, including facial expression has 19415 triangles.(it's less then my Wii U Roy that is standing at 21587 tri right now))

I was totally impress by the fact that for a PS3 model, it's impressively not that high res. Hyrule Warriors model are in the 30 000 triangles for some of them.

I thought filesize was tricky on Roy before, it's a hell lot worst on Snake.

MGS3 snakes are hovering around the filesize limit and they are at 11 000k triangle (but has a lot of small texture and materials) (Default Brawl Snake has 11357 tri). MGS4 Snake would need to get about 9000k triangle cut to have decent textures in it's pac file. (would be possible to do but a big task)
Weird, considering Wii U is only slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360/PS3.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
are you serous? the Wii U is barely more powerful than the last gen Xbox and Playstation? how?
Nintendo isnt trying to compete with those consoles. They need to provide alternate services that would make people want to own a PS4/Xbone plus a Nintendo console. The only things I want from a Nintendo console are 1. Good games 2. Good controller 3. Consumer friendly services. Sadly the Wii U didnt deliver for me. The gamepad sucks, no easy messaging service, slow downloads etc.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
I do see some areas where you could ha opmized further, but it would all be minor reductions.

Yes, since this was meant to take a few days at most.

HYPE

Sure... If I had any model skill whatsoever. I can barely even move vertices in Brawl Box without ****ing the whole thing up. (I tried editing your Megaman to be like http://gamebanana.com/skins/146357, and it didn't end well)

Weird, considering Wii U is only slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360/PS3.
I'm going to try making a Wii version for old snake with compromise like half facial expressions, cutting pouches triangles (this won't save a lot of triangle but better then nothing), cutting triangles where the skinning won't be destroyed, maybe cutting metal shaders (it's costing a lot of filesize) etc. I have some ideas for quick triangles cuts but i'm still not sure if it will work in the end

The dolphin version will stay as is, Since i'm personally using my mods on dolphin, my main focus is always the dolphin version and I do not want to downgrade the quality of the dolphin version for Wii.

I'll still try to have something for Wii player!

i gotta ask... any chance we'll see a playable venom snake? D:
I don't have any MGS5 model planned right now. maybe in the future but I would need to take a look at the model to see how it's made and triangles numbers etc.

I'm strugging to make a working PS3 model on Brawl Snake so a current gen model will probably be even worse.

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
Nintendo isnt trying to compete with those consoles. They need to provide alternate services that would make people want to own a PS4/Xbone plus a Nintendo console. The only things I want from a Nintendo console are 1. Good games 2. Good controller 3. Consumer friendly services. Sadly the Wii U didnt deliver for me. The gamepad sucks, no easy messaging service, slow downloads etc.
still i didnt expect that...then again i dont have a Wii U xbox one or PS4, i just have a New 3DS

Obskore

Smash Ace
once again, you're unstoppable, there's so many good people contributing to the PM modding community now that development has stopped, it's so bittersweet

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed something that most people who read this thread frequently never notice, and I can't unnotice it.

The OP has never been updated. If you want my help in editing it to be up to date Jaystring, just ask. Sooner it's fixed, sooner my OCD stops acting up about it.

... Yes, that's what's on my nerves. I have problems.

jaystring

Smash Ace
once again, you're unstoppable, there's so many good people contributing to the PM modding community now that development has stopped, it's so bittersweet
Thank you!!!

It's indeed sad that PM stopped but there's still some really cool PSA mods been made, Waluigi for exemple!

Also, in all honestly, the fact that PM ended made my life a bit easier.

Since they were playing around a lot with character in each version, a lot of time mods I would make for 1 version would not work in the next one because of filesize or whatever

I still remember been flooded with message with each PM version because my mod stopped working. Going back to old stuff to update them all the time was a bit annoying.

It would be hell today considering how many I made now.

I just noticed something that most people who read this thread frequently never notice, and I can't unnotice it.

The OP has never been updated. If you want my help in editing it to be up to date Jaystring, just ask. Sooner it's fixed, sooner my OCD stops acting up about it.

... Yes, that's what's on my nerves. I have problems.
You talking about my first post!? yeah it's still talking about Dante, Vergil and Mewtwo llol (and Lady! I still have her half done somewhere too). maybe I could update it eventually lol. It's not a really fancy first Post.

I didn't really care to be honest, it's all about the mods!

Thanks!

Jay you're the best!
Brawl Modding > 3DS Modding > Wii U Modding
Thank you!!

Tools to mod Brawl today are pretty good. Minus filesize issues, I can almost do anything I want, it's pretty fun. That's why i'm still sticking to it

I'm pretty sure in 10 year Smash4 will get badass mods too.

jaystring

Smash Ace
The final 2 costumes for my MGS3 Snake pack are done!

End Game Big Boss

Non-Canon MGS3 Snake with Beret

Only debug and my CSP to do

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
For the custom CSP, to make sure the head is aligned properly, I have an idea. Add square off to the side (red in one, blue in the other) so others can align it properly by hiding one square behind another, and then they can delete the guide squares.

Just an idea

jaystring

Smash Ace
For the custom CSP, to make sure the head is aligned properly, I have an idea. Add square off to the side (red in one, blue in the other) so others can align it properly by hiding one square behind another, and then they can delete the guide squares.

Just an idea
i've got my technique now to properly align CSP, even when I make new ones. i'll be using this for camo/facepaint CSP test

It's a similar technique except I have a "squares" gabarit around the render which tell me exactly where to crop it to have them all exactly at the same place. The renders always use a fix camera so all the render are exactly aligned. Then the "square" does the job for cropping them corrrectly to CSP, SI, BP etc

for camo and facepaints, i'll probably "pre-crop" them correctly in my pack, saving a step for everyone. it's really going to be just a task to align both one over the other. (you can do that in one manipulation in photoshop using the "duplicate layer" fonction and duplicate it over the other image)

Which stage is end game big boss in in the second picture, J jaystring ?
It's a castlevania stage. I don't remember the name of it by heart. I'll try to look it up when I have 2 seconds

The stage looks really good but has multiple issues (collision aren't that great and it's not the best stage to fight on since you can only die in the celling (making 300-400% match commun on that stage)

i've kept it because it look really good and maybe one day i'll fix it!

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the DL link is broken. Mumble mumble media fire mumble mumble piracy mumble mumble.

drogoth232

Smash Lord

That was me btw. It was supposed to be the last Snake texture for the Smash3 pack, but we never got around to finishing it. A shame really, tracking down the model took weeks. IIRC, [name redacted] sent the partially rigged model off to Jaystring, which the whole team approved of. Wouldn't be surprised if he re-did the whole rig, there was a lot that needed fixing. Can't wait to finally see it released.

Excellent job on all the models J jaystring (especially my baby, Tux Snake), I understand the frustration with trying to optimize Old Snake. Those models are already as optimized as can be, so the only other plausible solution would be to create a low poly using the PS4 model as a guide, which is more time consuming than necessary.

Also, as reference, MGS5 Sneaking Suit is around 7k tris or so. No idea about facepoint count though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom