• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
All 3 Starters was in X & Y. There Popular.
Definitely, their Mega Evolutions further prove that.
But even when they have their own games' high relevancy to remain noticed, their game-play-styles "rust" & become overshadowed as likely cuts apparently failing to be returning fighters in Sm4sh. It's also the variable of speculation when Squirtle is outright removed from the equation due to X&Y's Greninja, who just happens to be a Water Starter pokemon. Ivysaur atm looks to be the only chance, which is depressing.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Definitely, their Mega Evolutions further prove that.
But even when they have their own games' high relevancy to remain noticed, their game-play-styles "rust" & become overshadowed as likely cuts apparently failing to be returning fighters in Sm4sh. It's also the variable of speculation when Squirtle is outright removed from the equation due to X&Y's Greninja, who just happens to be a Water Starter pokemon. Ivysaur atm looks to be the only chance, which is depressing.
Yeah!! Greninja does hurt Squirtle's Chances!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Yeah!! Greninja does hurt Squirtle's Chances!
From a speculation standpoint, & competition with each other within the same franchise Universe, it dents Squirtle's chances a lot. He's basically DLC or nothing at all, other than other options. Speaking Of! I did this in a similar thread, try it out Skyfox.:shades:

Re-posting here because why not, I wanna ask anyone's open opinion on how'd they feel with the 4 possible scenarios for Sceptile's Ivysaur's destiny in SSB4:
  1. De-confirmed in total, not shown off, representing the character as an idea AT ALL, non-existent 100%. Thoughts?
  2. Pokeball summon. How would you feel & what would you like to see a Sceptile Ivysaur do once it appears? Discuss please.
  3. DLC becoming confirmed. DLC is still not pushed or hinted at all, to my decent knowledge of it, but how would you feel?
  4. Playable Status. Last & the best-case scenario, I almost don't even need to ask you about this because I wanted to have a 4th scenario for display. But if you feel like expressing a subjective or an objective post, please do so, there's never too much.
Also to anyone who wants to fill in what makes Sceptile's Ivysaur's chances more solid, example is the post I typed above.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
It's like you want to start a brouhaha with me. You serious?
Ivy's voice in Japan is feminine. But It's masculine in the West. :001:, :002:, & :003: are predominately male in the pokemon games, yes, most starters are, but not because of video game logic, is a pokemon in a cross-over called Super Smash Brothers., automatically makes a pokemon male. Second if you read this source. . .
http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/ivysaur

I say Ivysaur is female in Brawl because that's my subjective opinion when after I play Project M. After reading through a famitsu article about confirmation of the genders from Pokemon Trainer's 3 pokemon :squirtle:, :ivysaur:, & :charizard:, they confirmed both :squirtle: & :charizard: were male. While going on to say :ivysaur: was confirmed female.
Your welcome. Thanks for Posting, fest.

That said, she probably won't. It's a slim chance, & most likely will be a DLC option if DLC makes its way.
You misunderstood. By MEGA FAAAAILLL! I meant that anyone who ever thought Ivysaur was female was wrong, including the PMBR. I mean that in the nicest way, you actually had to know about plants to know what a male plant and a female plant looks like. Unless plant genders are reversed in pokemon, Ivysaur is a male. Period. Plus it makes more sense for Squirtle to be female but I don't know turtles lol

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
You misunderstood. By MEGA FAAAAILLL! I meant that anyone who ever thought Ivysaur was female was wrong, including the PMBR. I mean that in the nicest way, you actually had to know about plants to know what a male plant and a female plant looks like. Unless plant genders are reversed in pokemon, Ivysaur is a male. Period. Plus it makes more sense for Squirtle to be female but I don't know turtles lol
There's no misunderstanding when your previous post expressed expletive remarks, showing Impropriety to me. Whoever 'thought' Ivysaur was female in Project M or Brawl, may be wrong according to real evidence of plant species human kind, but PMBR, like Sakurai, do not care, making her female. When Sakurai, the game developer says it is a she, I'm going to believe the god of Smash, not someone who showed bad manners through posting claiming Ivysaur is male based off real plant origins to our world, or in the Pokemon games, despite through your 'nicest' way. I will say I know very little about plants, & in the pokemon games the bulb does appears to make Ivysaur look male, but Sakurai developing the character, may just not care? Knowing little about Ivysaur's pokedex entry & very little about gender characteristics. It's still Smash Brothers to me, when all the games & most importantly Sakurai & PMBR confirm his gender, despite not the way it seems, it's still 100% confirmation. Ivysaur, in Smash Brothers., is female.

If you have a problem with it, either deny the lie & call it a male, or just stick with your own preference, like most people have.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
There's no misunderstanding when your previous post expressed expletive remarks, showing Impropriety to me. Whoever 'thought' Ivysaur was female in Project M or Brawl, may be wrong according to real evidence of plant species human kind, but PMBR, like Sakurai, do not care, making her female. When Sakurai, the game developer says it is a she, I'm going to believe the god of Smash, not someone who showed bad manners through posting claiming Ivysaur is male based off real plant origins to our world, or in the Pokemon games, despite through your 'nicest' way. I will say I know very little about plants, & in the pokemon games the bulb does appears to make Ivysaur look male, but Sakurai developing the character, may just not care? Knowing little about Ivysaur's pokedex entry & very little about gender characteristics. It's still Smash Brothers to me, when all the games & most importantly Sakurai & PMBR confirm his gender, despite not the way it seems, it's still 100% confirmation. Ivysaur, in Smash Brothers., is female.

If you have a problem with it, either deny the lie & call it a male, or just stick with your own preference, like most people have.
So your answer is that you don't care... *sigh* ( not trying to make a big deal but #1 why things go wrong in the world: ignorance )
I don't have a problem it was just a little fun fact that I thought was funny because some people thought calling Ivysaur a male was sexist and I couldn't believe it slipped by so many people. It really isn't a big deal and we have already made the amount of posts for arguing an MU like I'm science and you are religon. Please don't answer back its getting old.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So your answer is that you don't care... *sigh* ( not trying to make a big deal but #1 why things go wrong in the world: ignorance )
I don't have a problem it was just a little fun fact that I thought was funny because some people thought calling Ivysaur a male was sexist and I couldn't believe it slipped by so many people. It really isn't a big deal and we have already made the amount of posts for arguing an MU like I'm science and you are religon. Please don't answer back its getting old.
I never stated in any of my posts that I don't care, though that may be how I came off as. I said I'll believe the creator of Smash Brothers & the developers of Project M being the PMBR, who identifies Ivy as female.
Your first impression via your first post quoting me did not bode well, perhaps I took it too far & made our posts into an altercation, so apologies. Yet your remark of me needing to learn something, being funny to you as nothing more than a fun fact, was slightly unnecessary. Take it how you want.

That said what are your thoughts on Ivysaur being a pokeball summon in Sm4sh?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
From a speculation standpoint, & competition with each other within the same franchise Universe, it dents Squirtle's chances a lot. He's basically DLC or nothing at all, other than other options.
I don't think that's true, because Greninja wasn't added because he was a water type, but because he was a unique Pokemon that had potential, and Sakurai happened to like him.

And making Ivysaur and Charizard come back, but not Squirtle, is wrong. :u

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I don't think that's true, because Greninja wasn't added because he was a water type, but because he was a unique Pokemon that had potential, and Sakurai happened to like him.

And making Ivysaur and Charizard come back, but not Squirtle, is wrong. :u
Other than Greninja being a Ninja like :4sheik:, he's got unique game-play down, promotion, & even grants some Pokemon game fans justice for a Dark move being Night Slash for his FS. But from going off of 2 major things said so far, it doesn't bode well for Squirtle anyway, which is depressing because his & Ivysaur's entire meta-game was so much fun. I still don't think Ivysaur will return, it's wishful thinking atm.

I'm still not counting Ivysaur or Squirtle out just yet.

Being the least popular starter element (grass) and the least popular evolution stage (middle), it's amazing that Ivysaur ever got into Smash in the first place. But as Jigglypuff, Ness, and Ice Climbers have shown, once a character is in Smash, he or she is always relevant to Smash. Ivysaur still has a decent shot.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm still not counting Ivysaur or Squirtle out just yet.

Being the least popular starter element (grass) and the least popular evolution stage (middle), it's amazing that Ivysaur ever got into Smash in the first place. But as Jigglypuff, Ness, and Ice Climbers have shown, once a character is in Smash, he or she is always relevant to Smash. Ivysaur still has a decent shot.
Ivysaur got in because of pokemon trainer, that's it. But now that that gimmick is gone there's no real reason for him to stick around anymore

Ivysaur got in because of pokemon trainer, that's it. But now that that gimmick is gone there's no real reason for him to stick around anymore
Zelda's move-swap gimmick is also gone, but Sheik remains. If Sakurai likes Ivysaur and Squirtle enough and thinks he has the time to include them in this game, they'll be back.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Zelda's move-swap gimmick is also gone, but Sheik remains. If Sakurai likes Ivysaur and Squirtle enough and thinks he has the time to include them in this game, they'll be back.
The difference is that sheik holds her own as a standalone character, she has popularity to back her up as well as being one of the characters that has made the transition from melee to brawl. Ivysaur has none of these things

Tyfly55

Smash Rookie
i mained ivysaur in project m now he most likely not be in SSB4 makes me sad :'(

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ivysaur is noted to have one of thee best-unique entire move-sets in Brawl, so much so Ivysaur was compared as a poor-man's version to Olimar, who was in Brawl & now in Sm4sh. Ivysaur couldn't hold her own in Brawl because of unbalanced mechanics with Tethering, & 3 horrible negative mechanics: Fatigue, Stamina Value, & Type Effectiveness, ofc being grass she gets scraped by Fire, which is used by more than HALF of Brawl's cast. All it takes is to lose all three of those built-in PT mechanics, & she could hold her own to anyone.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The difference is that sheik holds her own as a standalone character, she has popularity to back her up as well as being one of the characters that has made the transition from melee to brawl. Ivysaur has none of these things
Samus confirmed for cut due to being underpowered in Brawl and over-relying on Zero Suit Samus.

FKA Donnie

Smash Rookie
I main Ivysaur in Project M, I'd love to see him in the official game but I'm not holding out hope haha.

This is completely out there, but I'd love to see Venusaur instead with Mega Venusaur as a final smash!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I main Ivysaur in Project M, I'd love to see him in the official game but I'm not holding out hope haha.

This is completely out there, but I'd love to see Venusaur instead with Mega Venusaur as a final smash!
Makes sense, MEvo promotion & all that plus it'd be cool to see a quadruped played like a heavy-weight in Smash. I main Ivy in Project M too, so I share your exact feelings.

Also I'm a day late, but Welcome to Smashboards.:shades:

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ivy has very low chances , even lessthan squirtle
less than squirtle? There is already a water type in smash, that itself brings squrtile's chances down. There is no announced grass type character, so Ivy has a better chance than squrtile, though sadly not by that much.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ivysaur was one of my favorite characters in Brawl. It's a SHAME if he does not appear as a DLC character!

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Ivysaur just appeared as a trophy in Gema's stream, he's dead.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
An Ivysaur trophy showed up on Gema Yue's Twitch.

:4greninja:'d by like a second

RIP Ivysaur :(
Sadly, Squirtle will have the same luck I think...
Yup, he did, we already saw a Squirtle trophy.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Please based Sakurai. So long as you're bringing back cut Pokemon veterans, at least bring back the best one. Or give me something comparable.

I have highly misguided hope in you.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Even with the huge hype news of Mewtwo returning via DLC, I'm riding on a pessimistic train ride of belief for my favorite pokemon character I've made my Primary for Brawl & Project M, so. . .

I'll hold out hope I guess.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Time to necro this. I made a thread for Venusaur (who I would personally kind of prefer), but this seems like a better place to discuss it, because Venusaur would just be a chuftier Ivysaur anyway.

The thing is, Ivy/Venusaur would actually need two new special moves - a new down special, since there's no longer switching, and a new up special, since tether recoveries are gone. Earthquake is a shoo-in for the down special, but I genuinely have no idea what the new up special would be - maybe Petal Blizzard, functioning like DK's uspec? Any ideas here?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I would honestly say take a note out of Project M's Ivysaur.

Solarbeam neutral B, seed bomb down B...

And as much as I love Ivy's vine whip, I understand that it wouldn't return, even if that means a nerf like Olimar got...

Not sure what the new up special would be. Maybe just a more lifting version of the DAir...

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Eh, I think it's best to assume they won't emulate Project M Ivysaur too much. It's not out of the question, but they'll probably do their own thing. Seed Bomb is actually a possibility (though it probably wouldn't function exactly the same), but Synthesis/Solar Beam might actually have some troubling legal implications since it was such a totally new idea on the part of the PM team.
Plus, I kinda liked Bullet Seed, with a bit of a buff it could create an interesting dynamic where getting above Ivysaur means taking huge amounts of damage. Smart players might even do things like staying on the bottom platform of Battlefield and keeping opponents from using most of the space for fear of a Bullet Seed.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Bullet seed isn't bad but I never found it incredibly useful. Would the PM guys care if Sakurai actually took their ideas to heart? The Synthesis/Solarbeam thing was pure genius imo. It'll be hard to play Brawl Ivy again after that.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Ivysaur was the best of the Pokémon Trainers Pokémon and Charizard is an overhyped salamander of marketing and edgyness.
There, I said it.

While Ivysaurs chances to return are next to none, it's a character and playstyle I've enjoyed a lot. It'll be missed.

I AM horribly biased torwards Poison type though. They're the BEST!

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
The Project M guys probably wouldn't care, but blatantly ripping off a mod that you aren't even allowed to talk about on Miiverse like that is a can of worms I seriously doubt Sakurai wants to open.
Solar Beam is a very good candidate for a Final Smash if they don't evolve her into Venusaur, however.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The Project M guys probably wouldn't care, but blatantly ripping off a mod that you aren't even allowed to talk about on Miiverse like that is a can of worms I seriously doubt Sakurai wants to open.
Solar Beam is a very good candidate for a Final Smash if they don't evolve her into Venusaur, however.
Ivysaurs a girl? I never knew!

Then again, for all we know, Greninja and Charizard could also be female.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Her Japanese VA is female, and if you rotate the camera the seed inside her bud is yellow, which is the female gender difference for Venusaur. I think I read somewhere the Japanese Dojo refers to her as female, also.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Ivy was my project m main and I love the spacing style of her. I've placed my ballot hopefully you have too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom