• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Gogoat is what deconfirmed Ivysaur, now?

It's like you guys don't know what a platform looks like if it isn't completely flat and floating in the air. You guys have played too much Board The Platforms.
How did Gogoat deconfirmed Ivysaur

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
How did Gogoat deconfirmed Ivysaur
Some people think that because quadrupeds can't ride on top of other quadrupeds, Ivysaur is deconfirmed on part of making no sense on Gogoat.

What I'm trying to say is that logic is a complete load.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
What would really de-confirm Ivysaur as the only playable quadruped in Smash, would be to test her performance of riding on Bipedal standing pokeball summons or not. That is far more difficult not speaking from experience.

But in all seriousness in every Super Smash Bros. game ever, the kanto starters have all be represented through anything whether it be a stage element, pokeball summon, playable character in the roster or as DLC, & lastly a trophy.

My best to worst wishes to each outcome follows:

1. Playable Character as DLC. Don't get me wrong I loved Ivysaur in Brawl / Project M but she seems like she needs to be replaced with any other Grass starter if that's the case. She'd be proud.
  2. Playable character in the roster. It's the next best thing I'd love for Ivysaur to gain back is a slot with the fighters. Sm4sh's buffs so far look to be in her favor considering how she recovered & I wouldn't mind seeing Venusaur but let's keep it to just Ivy.
  3. Stage element. I feel that IF a pkmn was playable before & changes to be a pokeball summon it just feels wrong & lame. I'd rather see her be a stage hazard / stage element than anything.
  4. Pokeball summon. My worst wish that if came true despite what my reasons were earlier but it's better than being a trophy.
  5. Trophy. Usually when something is a trophy it's not exactly the trophy that you earned as that playable character through 1-Player modes, it's a trophy you just randomly acquire along your way of completeing your collection. Lame but still something.

Last edited:

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
You guys are hopeless and obviously need help from the Water Princess that is I for a topic of discussion.

Custom Moves my grass brethren, Custom Moves.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
You guys are hopeless and obviously need help from the Water Princess that is I for a topic of discussion.

Custom Moves my grass brethren, Custom Moves.
Thanks hotness, easy custom moves would involve changes with her original specials:

NeutralB - Bullet Seed(Brawl) / Synthesis+Solar Beam(Project M)
UpB - Vine Whip(Longer in brawl) (Shorter in Project M)
SideB - Razor Leaf(Transcendent priority in Brawl) (More controllable in Project M)
DownB - ?? Seed Bomb(Project M) Leaf Storm(Brawl Minus)

If we're satisfied with those said specials above ^, then I'd get started with how the customs will differ such as the speed, power, utility, size, & usage of the move.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
People wanna see Ivysaur "ride" Gogoat.

I don't know, but this sounds inappropriate for a forum with children on it.
In all honesty, do we have than many children here? I always thought we hit a demographic of physical age 16 and older, mental age 7 and younger.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I absolutely love Ivysaur.

I absolutely despise the people who were at the Smash Roundtable (Not pizza though) that didn't ask Sakurai if he was cut/there were many cuts.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I absolutely love Ivysaur.

I absolutely despise the people who were at the Smash Roundtable (Not pizza though) that didn't ask Sakurai if he was cut/there were many cuts.
Yeah to the love<3
But I was upset when the people at the Smash Roundtable didn't ask about the result about Ivysaur/Squirtle.:scared:

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I just don't want to see a totally unique and fun moveset get removed. I don't care if they replace Ivy, but put the moveset to use with someone else if that's the case (like they did with Squirtle).

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Nobody as far as I'm aware. Greninja may be a water type but it definitely isn't the same cat as Squirtle.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I just don't want to see a totally unique and fun moveset get removed. I don't care if they replace Ivy, but put the moveset to use with someone else if that's the case (like they did with Squirtle).
I feel for you on this. Ivysaur did have one of THEE most unique move-set moves for a quadruped character, that's never been done before until SSBBrawl existed. But. . .
Who took Squirtle's moveset?
Nobody as far as I'm aware. Greninja may be a water type but it definitely isn't the same cat as Squirtle.
^ This. :4greninja: & :squirtle: share the same water type & nature in a way, but their move-sets are different. Even their characteristics as a frog & a turtle not even close to similar. Squirtle had head, body/spin, tail, & shell attacks. :4greninja: has none of that besides maybe a few body/spin attacks & head moves?

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
...why do people keep referring to Ivysaur as female? I can at least understand Jigglypuff even though gender neutrality is supposed to be there, but Ivysaur? Have you heard its voice? If I heard a girl with that voice I'd try and exorcise her.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
...why do people keep referring to Ivysaur as female? I can at least understand Jigglypuff even though gender neutrality is supposed to be there, but Ivysaur? Have you heard its voice? If I heard a girl with that voice I'd try and exorcise her.
Yeah, PM says it's a female, plus people just refer as Ivy... Could be why.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
XD We're referring Ivysaur as female because SSBBrawl & Project M both identify 'her' as a her. The Japanese voicing for Ivysaur is feminine but is masculine in English so, you can identify it as he, her or it, but mostly a her.

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
in where does Brawl refer to it as a "her"? also aren't all voices in japanese feminine to be real here, pretty sure PT's voice actress doesn't make him sound too manly

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I just consider Brawl's Ivy a male as I've always known it up until I found out about it's female voice in the Japanese version (I've seen some gameplay of the Japanese version of Brawl many times before, but I don't think I ever saw Ivysaur gameplay until quite sometime after joining this site) Wouldn't know about Project M though, since I don't play it.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I meant it more in the way Lucario replaced Mewtwo. Not the same, but similar feel. It's just my opinion - obviously someone could come on here and list out all ways they are different, and I am aware of them. They still have a lot more in common than most "different" characters.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
in where does Brawl refer to it as a "her"? also aren't all voices in japanese feminine to be real here, pretty sure PT's voice actress doesn't make him sound too manly
Sorry for being a bit late on this post, but I've always considered Ivysaur as a female in SSBBrawl when I first started out maining PT. However looking around in every wiki / wikia / pedia for Super Smash Bros. there's not a place that considers Ivy as a "her" in any sentence, only saying "it" or neutral. So it just varies on what you want to refer Ivy to as, he it or her. Project M definitely refers Ivy as a female, & Brawl+ I believe they referred to as a her too.
I meant it more in the way Lucario replaced Mewtwo. Not the same, but similar feel. It's just my opinion - obviously someone could come on here and list out all ways they are different, and I am aware of them. They still have a lot more in common than most "different" characters.
I wouldn't say in the same way of Lucario through Mewtwo, but I get what you mean. I was a favor to Mewtwo in Melee & played Lucario back in early 2010 loving the character. I'd like to see Ivysaur's quadruped + grass + vines move-set be replaced with another character that can be the successor in SSB4.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
If Ivysaur was revealed, I would want for them to receive a Poison-type down special move. I think every dual type Pokemon should have at least one special move for each of their types. I do not know what that Poison-type special move could be, though. Other than PoisonPowder, it could perhaps be Sludge Bomb or Venoshock.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
If Ivysaur was revealed, I would want for them to receive a Poison-type down special move. I think every dual type Pokemon should have at least one special move for each of their types. I do not know what that Poison-type special move could be, though. Other than PoisonPowder, it could perhaps be Sludge Bomb or Venoshock.
As cool as that sounds let's take it back a second for dual-type pokemon in Smash. Charizard technically doesn't a flying-type move that exerts a wind-box move. I didn't say Charizard doesn't have a pseudo-flying move such as his wings for attacking in a flying mind-set, but he doesn't have a flying type attack that uses wind as an attack unless it's used with fire.
Lucario on the other hand is Steel / Fighting, fighting being used very well but what about Steel? Lucario doesn't have a pure steel-like move unless all his aura attacks are considered to be steel. Steel properties-wise, Lucario has no steel attack since he's only focused mainly on Aura attacks.
Greninja is still new & fresh to me, I don't know what exactly Greninja's full move-set looks like but he doesn't really have a dark type move except for his Final Smash representing it.

Overall I can see Ivysaur having a poison type attack but it would end up being used through a spore move from the bulb. That's about it.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I would have explained Lucario's Steel-less situation, but that seemed inappropriate for the thread's topic. I would appreciate any Poison-type move for Ivysaur! And I hope Greninja gets a Dark-type move!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
My bad for getting off-topic, but yeah same. I'm down for at least one poison move especially if it was a Poison move as a Final Smash.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
For this situation, I don't know if I accept Final Smashes as strongly as the character's usual attacks. But Final Smashes are still significant, so thanks for mentioning that. I still hope Greninja receives at least one Dark-type special move or standard attack. It could be a particularly fun move, too, since Dark-type attacks aren't precisely elemental like Water or Fire, though Mr. Sakurai does use "darkness" effects for Ganondorf.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
For this situation, I don't know if I accept Final Smashes as strongly as the character's usual attacks. But Final Smashes are still significant, so thanks for mentioning that. I still hope Greninja receives at least one Dark-type special move or standard attack. It could be a particularly fun move, too, since Dark-type attacks aren't precisely elemental like Water or Fire, though Mr. Sakurai does use "darkness" effects for Ganondorf.
And now robin

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Good call, purple darkness looks weird on a blue ninja frog but Sakurai has developed more quirky move-sets on the strangest characters.

This being said I have no doubt that Ivysaur can get one poison-type move, though if not what's the missing Down B move?!?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ivysaur was my favorite pokemon in the Pokemon Trainer. I loved playing as him in Brawl and Project M. It's a shame he may not be back.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Here is a fun idea: Ivysaur can grow large leaves or roots on the stage, to use as breakable shields or platforms. This would promote strategic gameplay without allowing unfair tactics. This special could be called "Synthesis."

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Does Ivysaur have anything against her on not being Playable

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I think the main things working against Ivy are the announcement of Charizard as a standalone and the amount of pokemon on the roster. When you add in Pikachu, Greninja, Lucario, and Charizard confirmed, are there really going to be Jiggs, Mewtwo, Ivy, and Squirtle as well? It seems as though one or two will get cut. I see no chance Ivy would get in over Jiggs or Mewtwo, but Ivy probably has a better shot than Squirtle.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I really want to see what has become of ivy and squritle soon

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Here is a fun idea: Ivysaur can grow large leaves or roots on the stage, to use as breakable shields or platforms. This would promote strategic gameplay without allowing unfair tactics. This special could be called "Synthesis."
I dig that, similar to MegaMan Leaf shield but actually having realistic plants as a stage advantage. Could be used greatly for stage Counterpicks but unlikely.
Does Ivysaur have anything against her on not being Playable
What @ luigijerk luigijerk said, adding on that :pt:'s appearance is straight from the FRLG games, noting that the Kanto remake setting, inspired a Pokemon Master feeling giving :pt: all the Kanto starters :charizard:, :ivysaur:, & :squirtle: to battle with. So if there;s no :pt:, then probably no :ivysaur: & especially no :squirtle: due to :4greninja:'d. I don't like using lack of relevance as a key factor why characters won't get in Smash Bros., but FRLG is old news & only the Pokemon Origins special makes it somewhat relevant involving Red.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Sorry for being a bit late on this post, but I've always considered Ivysaur as a female in SSBBrawl when I first started out maining PT. However looking around in every wiki / wikia / pedia for Super Smash Bros. there's not a place that considers Ivy as a "her" in any sentence, only saying "it" or neutral. So it just varies on what you want to refer Ivy to as, he it or her. Project M definitely refers Ivy as a female, & Brawl+ I believe they referred to as a her too.

I wouldn't say in the same way of Lucario through Mewtwo, but I get what you mean. I was a favor to Mewtwo in Melee & played Lucario back in early 2010 loving the character. I'd like to see Ivysaur's quadruped + grass + vines move-set be replaced with another character that can be the successor in SSB4.
Mega FAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIL! Ivysaur is actually the only pokemon clearly male of all the pokemon. Look at the bulb and the spots and the color. You really need to learn something lol! The way I see it, Ivysaur is not coming back as anything more than DLC but what grass pokemon could replace him? I really don't want Sceptile. Too many ninjas.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Mega FAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIL! Ivysaur is actually the only pokemon clearly male of all the pokemon. Look at the bulb and the spots and the color. You really need to learn something lol! The way I see it, Ivysaur is not coming back as anything more than DLC but what grass pokemon could replace him? I really don't want Sceptile. Too many ninjas.
It's like you want to start a brouhaha with me. You serious?
Ivy's voice in Japan is feminine. But It's masculine in the West. :001:, :002:, & :003: are predominately male in the pokemon games, yes, most starters are, but not because of video game logic, is a pokemon in a cross-over called Super Smash Brothers., automatically makes a pokemon male. Second if you read this source. . .
http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/ivysaur
The original Grass-type starter has outgrown her trainer and finally debuts in Project M!
I say Ivysaur is female in Brawl because that's my subjective opinion when after I play Project M. After reading through a famitsu article about confirmation of the genders from Pokemon Trainer's 3 pokemon :squirtle:, :ivysaur:, & :charizard:, they confirmed both :squirtle: & :charizard: were male. While going on to say :ivysaur: was confirmed female.
Your welcome. Thanks for Posting, fest.

That said, she probably won't. It's a slim chance, & most likely will be a DLC option if DLC makes its way.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
It's like you want to start a brouhaha with me. You serious?
Ivy's voice in Japan is feminine. But It's masculine in the West. :001:, :002:, & :003: are predominately male in the pokemon games, yes, most starters are, but not because of video game logic, is a pokemon in a cross-over called Super Smash Brothers., autoamtically makes a pokemon male. Second if you read this source. . .
http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/ivysaur

I say Ivysaur is female in Brawl because that's my subjective opinion when after I play Project M. After reading through a famitsu article about confirmation of the genders from Pokemon Trainer's 3 pokemon :squirtle:, :ivysaur:, & :charizard:, they confirmed both :squirtle: & :charizard: were male. While going on to say :ivysaur: was confirmed female.
Your welcome. Thanks for Posting, fest.

That said, she probably won't. It's a slim chance, & most likely will be a DLC option if DLC makes its way.
Why does every assume :squirtle:and :ivysaur:are cut!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Why does every assume :squirtle:and :ivysaur:are cut!
As cool as their play-styles & mechanics were, & as lame as it sounds being typed from my fingers that they're now "old, let's move on", it's kind of a bummer saying that when there's Pikachu & Charizard, while Purin Mewtwo & the two starters are MIA. People assume they're cut simply from the gimmick in Brawl removed as a whole, & Charizard "fighting alone". It's just how it is atm.:ohwell:
I'd like more confirmation on what their status will be in Sm4sh.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
As cool as their play-styles & mechanics were, & as lame as it sounds being typed from my fingers that they're now "old, let's move on", it's kind of a bummer saying that when there's Pikachu & Charizard, while Purin Mewtwo & the two starters are MIA. People assume they're cut simply from the gimmick in Brawl removed as a whole, & Charizard "fighting alone". It's just how it is atm.:ohwell:
I'd like more confirmation on what their status will be in Sm4sh.
All 3 Starters was in X & Y. There Popular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom