• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's Dark Matter's time to... wait.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Thread Title: Darkness Matter Vote Dark Matter for DLC
Here I wanted to help so I made a reboot for the thread.
I'm really happy you care enough that you took the time to do this! It looks very nice, but at the moment I am satisfied with my design for the thread. I don't think it needs any major changes. Also, it took a lot of effort formatting all those movesets over again since copy pasting them usually causes a glitch that creates blank spoilers. I'm very sorry that I wasted your time.

On another note, if you ever make another character thread, I recommend keeping colors to a minimum. For titles or emphasis mostly, simply because they make it much more difficult to read. That was something that I wanted to make sure I did right with this thread, a simple but attractive design, one with plenty to look at but not too straining on the eyes.

That's just my opinion though. I'd love to hear what kind of designs people prefer for these threads. If anyone has any input, please feel free to share it.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
Dark Matter would be a great addition to Smash! When I found this thread I didn't think much of it. Dark Matter / Zero has been my favorite villain for a while so I decided to take a look at the thread. As I read, I realized that it's inclusion as a playable character would be perfect for the game!

It's too bad that it has almost Zero chance of getting in Smash. It would be a Miracle if it got in. It would be a Nightmare if it wouldn't even get in the top 50 in the ballot, but one can Dream eh?
It boggles my Mind that no one thought of this sooner. (All puns intended)

EDIT: Oh and it would be much appreciated if you would add me to the list of supporters. Thank you.

Last edited:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I like your style. You're right when you say his odds of getting in are bleak. The ballot ends in a couple days and Dark Matter hasn't appeared on any major polls. It's a shame since he'd fill multiple voids in the cast. The lack of villains, kirby representatives and even heavy fighters could all be filled by his inclusion. There's always Smash 5 though, right?

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
I like your style. You're right when you say his odds of getting in are bleak. The ballot ends in a couple days and Dark Matter hasn't appeared on any major polls. It's a shame since he'd fill multiple voids in the cast. The lack of villains, kirby representatives and even heavy fighters could all be filled by his inclusion. There's always Smash 5 though, right?
Yeah there is always Smash 5. I just hope Sakurai sticks around for when that happens...

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Yeah there is always Smash 5. I just hope Sakurai sticks around for when that happens...
You know if Sakurai doesn't come back, it might make the situation worse. He's the reason Kirby made it into Smash to begin with after all. Though it could also have the opposite effect, since he has revealed he doesn't like including too many of his own characters.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
You know if Sakurai doesn't come back, it might make the situation worse. He's the reason Kirby made it into Smash to begin with after all. Though it could also have the opposite effect, since he has revealed he doesn't like including too many of his own characters.
Yeah I agree, but even though Sakurai doesn't like adding in his own characters he sometimes goes against his own wishes just to please the fans. Just look at what happened with Brawl. The fans weren't satisfied with the game (At least that's what I believe because many Smash players complain that it was the weakest entry in the series.) and they wanted a new Smash. Now Sakurai said that Brawl was going to be the last Smash game he would create, but yet he made Smash 4. So maybe with enough fans wanting Dark Matter to be in the game, Sakurai would eventually have to put it in. Yet in all honesty, Sakurai might make it more difficult to get Dark Matter in compared to someone new running the development of Smash. That person may just allow any character to be added, which also means a character that no one really wants may get in easily like Shrek. It's a tradeoff really. If you don't care who gets in Smash as long as Dark Matter makes it, then maybe it would be best to have a new director. On the other hand, if you don't want random characters to get in, then it would be best to have Sakurai be the director. This is all in speculation of course, the new director might be as unwilling to let Dark Matter in as Sakurai. But we shouldn't worry about this too much. The next Smash is probably going to just start development a decade from now. Let's face it. WE, DARK MATTER... have failed. We may have been able to possess DeDeDe, but we weren't able to possess the creator of Smash to let us in the game.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
The next Smash is probably going to just start development a decade from now.
You know, with the NX on the way, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 5 started development a lot sooner. I have a feeling Smash 4 and 5 will have the closest release dates yet.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
You know, with the NX on the way, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 5 started development a lot sooner. I have a feeling Smash 4 and 5 will have the closest release dates yet.
I sure hope so. I don't think I can wait that long for Dark Matter to be in.

Also I don't think anyone's mentioned this before, but if Dark Matter gets in Smash we may have a higher chance of getting Zero Three in an actual Kirby game, (Or something along those lines) due to the fact that more people will be aware of Dark Matter. It's like the thread with Geno. (Another character I want in Smash, though not as much as Dark Matter) They believe that Geno may appear as more than just a cameo in a Mario game if he gets in Smash.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope so. I don't think I can wait that long for Dark Matter to be in.

Also I don't think anyone's mentioned this before, but if Dark Matter gets in Smash we may have a higher chance of getting Zero Three in an actual Kirby game, (Or something along those lines) due to the fact that more people will be aware of Dark Matter. It's like the thread with Geno. (Another character I want in Smash, though not as much as Dark Matter) They believe that Geno may appear as more than just a cameo in a Mario game if he gets in Smash.
I've thought about the possibility of Zero 3 before and the way the Kirby series has been going, it doesn't seem likely that he'll ever make an appearance. Every recent Kirby game has had a brand new villain, none that even come close to the dark vibes of Zero. Even if HAL did make a game with Zero 3, he wouldn't be the same since they'd never keep the dark themes that made him so great in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I want it to happen. I'd absolutely love it. But the chances are so low that I can't help but be pessimistic. At least he has a better chance at coming back than Adeleine.

Dark Matter Swordsman is a different story. He lacks certain features (ei. the blood spewing eyeball and halo) that would prevent him from making a return. He's already come back once in Kirby Mass attack and it could probably happen again.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
I've thought about the possibility of Zero 3 before and the way the Kirby series has been going, it doesn't seem likely that he'll ever make an appearance. Every recent Kirby game has had a brand new villain, none that even come close to the dark vibes of Zero. Even if HAL did make a game with Zero 3, he wouldn't be the same since they'd never keep the dark themes that made him so great in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I want it to happen. I'd absolutely love it. But the chances are so low that I can't help but be pessimistic. At least he has a better chance at coming back than Adeleine.

Dark Matter Swordsman is a different story. He lacks certain features (ei. the blood spewing eyeball and halo) that would prevent him from making a return. He's already come back once in Kirby Mass attack and it could probably happen again.
I'll admit, the newer Kirby games aren't as dark as they were before, making a new Zero incarnation difficult to get, but even the newer games have some dark moments, like the possession of Claycia by that being (Possibly a form of Dark Matter due to having a single eye in its mouth), the blood emission of the revenge of Dark Meta Knight , the strange appearance of Magolor Soul, and the fact that he says "Kiiiiiiirrrrbyyyyy...! Kiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrbyyyyyy...!" as he dies (If you hear carefully). You probably already know this, but they also make a ton of references of Zero / Zero Two! The thorny tail is made reference in one of Magolor Soul's attacks, the whole eyeball thing in a lot of the final bosses. I think even HAL wants a new incarnation of Zero in the game. I agree that it won't be the same if they do bring it back. The ESRB rating will go up from E - E 10+ to a T if they make Zero like it should be and I think that is the main thing stopping them right now. They're trying to appeal to kids and people who think Kirby games are cute. Not that many people know or care about Dark Matter for them to make a T rated game for Kirby just for the sake of Zero.

Now as for the other Dark Matter members, I can definitely see them returning. I would love to have the Dark Matter Swordsman back! It is after all my favorite member of Dark Matter besides Zero / Zero Two.

Also, if Dark Matter gets in Smash 5 (Or Smash 4 if we're extremely lucky) I think that when it enter the stage it should have a smile like Zero Two did as it revealed itself in the final battle of Kirby 64.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
(Sorry for double posting. I thought this to be too important of a point to edit in.)

I just thought of something cool! What if Dark Matter as a character in Smash instead of having jumps, would be able to fly around as it pleased, but would be weaker in other aspects, like a reversed Little Mac! It wouldn't be able to fly too far of course because then it would just wait out the match, but should be able to fly a reasonable distance. Maybe if it flies too far it would get a jump or two and then fall until it gets back into the flying range, or if it is about to fly too far it would get a warning and then just fall until in the range. Or perhaps they could just give it what Mewtwo has in Project M.

The reason I want this is that Dark Matter never touches the ground in the Kirby games unless possessing a character and is always able to move freely in the air (sometimes even when possessing a character as seen with DeDeDe). Of course you could just make it seem like it's floating by making the animation never touch the ground (Like when Meta Knight runs) or give it what Peach has in the air while holding :GCU:, but I don't think that would seem right for Dark Matter.

Also, Indefinite Minimum Indefinite Minimum please add me to the support list. Even though this thread will be irrelevant soon, it would make me feel as though I helped the Dark Matter cause. Thank you.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
(Sorry for double posting. I thought this to be too important of a point to edit in.)

I just thought of something cool! What if Dark Matter as a character in Smash instead of having jumps, would be able to fly around as it pleased, but would be weaker in other aspects, like a reversed Little Mac! It wouldn't be able to fly too far of course because then it would just wait out the match, but should be able to fly a reasonable distance. Maybe if it flies too far it would get a jump or two and then fall until it gets back into the flying range, or if it is about to fly too far it would get a warning and then just fall until in the range. Or perhaps they could just give it what Mewtwo has in Project M.

The reason I want this is that Dark Matter never touches the ground in the Kirby games unless possessing a character and is always able to move freely in the air (sometimes even when possessing a character as seen with DeDeDe). Of course you could just make it seem like it's floating by making the animation never touch the ground (Like when Meta Knight runs) or give it what Peach has in the air while holding :GCU:, but I don't think that would seem right for Dark Matter.
A Peach-like float is in my moveset already, but completely unrestricted flight is an interesting idea. I guess instead of jumping he'd just take off. Maybe something like Wrastor from Rivals of Aether where he can only use smash attacks in the air. Movesets are still welcome if you have ideas.

Also, Indefinite Minimum Indefinite Minimum please add me to the support list. Even though this thread will be irrelevant soon, it would make me feel as though I helped the Dark Matter cause. Thank you.
Not a problem. You might be the last one.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
A Peach-like float is in my moveset already, but completely unrestricted flight is an interesting idea. I guess instead of jumping he'd just take off. Maybe something like Wrastor from Rivals of Aether where he can only use smash attacks in the air. Movesets are still welcome if you have ideas.
I'll try to think of a moveset where this can be incorporated!
Not a problem. You might be the last one.
Thanks again!

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
(Double posting again, sorry)

Here's my moveset. I based certain things off of previous Dark Matter movesets, so that credit goes to you guys.

On another note, I think I may start a new thread once this one becomes irrelevant, just so that Dark Matter fans could keep talking about the infamous Kirby villain (Or one of you guys could post it). Although, I'm quite new to Smash Boards, so I'll have to figure out the rules before I can post it.

Anyways, without further delay, here it is.

Dark Matter Swordsman / Dark Matter

Special Attribute(s):

Option 1:

Free Flight. Can fly freely until beyond certain point. After point is reached, falls but can jump twice then goes into helpless until in flight range again. 7 seconds must pass before moving out of range again, otherwise goes into helpless until in flight range again. Can only fly under stage for 5 seconds, afterwards falls but can jump twice then goes into helpless until in flight range again. 7 seconds must pass before going under stage again, otherwise goes into helpless until in flight range again.

Option 2:

Timed Flight. Can fly freely for up to 20 seconds. Every 2 seconds on platform, flight time is charged 1 second for max of 20 seconds. Flight can be canceled with grab button or up special. If canceled with time left, time is retained and continues to charge every 2 seconds on platform.

Additional info for both options:

Flight initiated with up special. Special animation is shown when taking flight and when flight is canceled. Flying does not act as jumping, meaning smashes, tilts, dashing, shielding, spot dodging and taunts can be used in addition to specials. Fast falling, ledge grabbing, grabs, crouching, rolls, air dodging, and aerials cannot be used during flight. Control stick used for moving during flight (Default) and holding jump button can be used to fly upwards. Tap to jump determines if up on control stick can be used to fly upwards. Flight speed based on running speed and walking speed.

Attributes:

Crouch: Yes.
Crawl: No.
Wall Cling: Yes. Goes into wall slowly (Can be attacked until inside wall) for 3 seconds maximum. Can go out at anytime inside wall.
Wall Jump: Yes. Goes out from wall horizontally slowly (Can be attacked as soon as action is initiated).
Height: Almost double the height of Kirby.
Weight: 95. (The weight of Roy, Robin, Sonic, and Pac-Man. 1995 is also the year Kirby's Dreamland 2 was released.)
Running Speed: Decent. Around the speed of Mewtwo and Wii Fit Trainer.
Walking Speed: Low. Around the speed of Kirby.
Jumping Speed: Decent. Around the speed of R.O.B., Bowser Jr., and Ike.
Jump Height: Very Low. Around the jump height of Little Mac.
Amount of Jumps: 2.

Attacks(Facing the right):

Normals:

Jab: Swings sword downwards and then upwards if used in succession.

Forward Tilt: Points sword forwards and fires short beam from sword. Based on one of its attacks from Kirby's Dreamland 2.

Up Tilt: Slashes sword in a circle with its diameter being vertical moving counterclockwise.

Down Tilt: Slashes sword in a circle with its diameter being horizontal moving clockwise.

Dash Attack: Charges forwards with its sword pointed horizontally. Based on one of its attacks from Kirby's Dreamland 2.

Smashes:

Forward Smash: Lifts sword up and slashes downward in a half circle with its diameter being vertical clockwise and as attack is performed, blue waves are fired forwards (Based on one of its attacks from Kirby Mass Attack).

Up Smash: Slashes sword in a circle with its diameter being vertical moving clockwise (Instead of counterclockwise to distinguish it as a more powerful attack) and as attack is preformed, blue waves are fired upwards. Based on one of its attacks from Kirby Mass Attack, except performed upwards.

Down Smash: A green thorny tail pointing downwards quickly extrudes from its bottom. If not used in flight, tail points forward and extrudes from stomach.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Points sword vertically in front of it and charges a black orb at the tip of sword. Attack has three stages. First stage, no orb appears. If button is released at this stage, attack is downward slash with sword and works as meteor smash (Similar in looks as one of its attacks in Kirby's Dreamland 2). Second stage, small orb is charged. If button is released at this stage, small orb is fired and can be easily blocked with shield. Third stage, larger orb is charged. Attack is launched immediately when stage is reached (Similar in looks as one of its attacks in Kirby's Dreamland 2). Does above average damage to shield. Does not retain stage when canceled by user or when being attacked.

Side Special: Sword disappears, lifts visor and fires Dark Lightning from eye. Range of attack is similar to that of Dark Lightning in the penultimate battle in Kirby's Dreamland 3. Attack does not travel any distance but instead instantly reaches its max range like in the previously stated battle. Can be aimed diagonally and horizontally.

Up Special: Flight (See Special Attribute(s) for details).

Down Special: Changes into form it was seen as when leaving DeDeDe's body in Kirby's Dream Land 2, then charges forward. Attack is slow. It is more vulnerable to attacks in this form. If it touches a player it can harm, it disappears into the player and then possesses them. While in possession, it plays as the player it's possessing. It can still be harmed while in possession, but takes half damage and the player being possessed takes full damage. Possession time depends on the damage the character being possessed has. If attack misses, reverts to original form. To cancel possession, press up taunt button.

Aerials:

Neutral Air: Points sword vertically and causes it to move in a circle with its diameter being horizontal clockwise around itself (As if the sword were orbiting the character) twice.

Forward Air: Lifts sword up and slashes downward in a quarter circle with its diameter being vertical.

Back Air: Points sword backwards horizontally and thrusts.

Down Air: Lifts sword forwards and slashes downwards in a half circle with its diameter being vertical (Looks like Marth's down air from Melee). Works as meteor smash.

Grabbing:

When grabbing, goes inside grabbed character. Animation looks like down special. The character that is grabbed has stunned animation. Does not have an air grab.

Throws / Pummel:

Pummel: Dark energy emits from the character being grabbed each time it is pummeled.

Forward Throw: Goes out of character being grabbed and launches them forward with dark energy.

Back Throw: Goes out of character being grabbed and causes character to orbit around it twice, then launches character backwards.

Up Throw: Launches character upwards and then fires a violet beam at them (Based on attack of final boss of Kirby Quest in Kirby Mass Attack, except performed upwards).

Down Throw: Makes character fall asleep, then goes out of them.

Situation Attacks:

Ledge Attack: Gets back on stage and slashes in a quarter circle with its diameter being horizontal clockwise.

Get Up Attack: Makes a small explosion with dark energy.

Final Smash:

Transforms into Zero Two for 15 seconds. Zero Two is impervious to all damage. Attack button fires a crystal that separates into several more crystals at a certain distance. If touched, crystals explode. Special button fires blood from around eye like in the original battle against Zero. Grab button fires miniature forms of Dark Matter from different parts of Zero Two's body like in the previously stated battle. Zero Two can fly without restrictions, but cannot move through walls. If Zero Two is touched by a player that can be attacked, that player takes damage.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Transforms into final boss of Kirby's Dreamland 2, closes its eye halfway (Like it did in the Kirby of the Stars pilot) and looks at the screen without turning its body, while it emits dark energy. If attacked during this form or holds up taunt button for 2 seconds, stays in this form until up taunt can be used again. In this form, only up special, side special, down special, and grabs can be used as attacks. If Kirby inhales Dark Matter in this form, gains side special as neural special. When using down special or grab in this form, loses orange orbs (Only aesthetic) and regains orbs afterwards. Only up taunt can be used as a taunt in this form (And only to change back). Neutral special acts as side special in this form. When this taunt is used without holding the button for 2 seconds or being attacked, reverts back to swordsman form.

Side Taunt: Closes eye, spins sword around several times, points sword at itself, and then retracts it as if it were being sheathed.

Down Taunt: Holds sword as if it were charging a black orb, while cape flows as if there were a strong wind.

Idle:

Cape constantly flows and character floats up and down slowly. Sometimes emits blue electricity. Sword is held in 3 positions. Current position depends on previous attack used. Positions are \ / and --.

Victory Poses:

Transforms into the final boss of Kirby's Dreamland 2 and closes its eye halfway while looking almost directly at the screen (Like the concept art of Dark Matter).

A vortex with Popstar in the background appears behind the character and it slowly goes into it backwards. Then the vortex disappears along with the character.

Spins sword around and causes it to disappear by retracting it into itself. Afterwards, looks menacingly down on the screen.

Losing Pose:

Just floats there with no sword.

Entrance:

Dark orb appears out of nowhere. Has two white (Color depends on costume) circles for eyes and red mouth. Eyes move to the top of its head and then disappears, while at the same time mouth opens into single eye. Afterwards, apparel and sword appear out of nowhere. Spiky "hair" also forms.

Costumes:

Drawcia colors

Gooey colors

Dark Green

Miracle Matter / Zero / Zero Two colors

N-Z colors

Dark Mind colors

Additional Notes:

My original plan for flight was option 1, but I realized that characters like Little Mac wouldn't be able to hit Dark matter if they went with this plan. Therefore, I had to go with a more restricted option for flight to make it fair and not overpowered. I still left option 1 in here so that it could be improved on if anyone has any ideas.

I think Dark Matter Swordsman's Appearance should be based off of its appearance in Kirby Mass Attack. I think the sword design from there looks the best. Also, I believe the necklace suits it.

When Dark Matter performs an up or forward smash, it would be cool for the sound effect for the wave to sound like Nightmare form 1's wave attack from Nightmare in Dreamland. I just really like that sound effect.

I left certain things out of the moveset (Attack damage, attack speed, etc.) due to the fact that I do not actually have much knowledge on character balance (At the time this was posted). Also, being able to shield in the air is a big advantage I think, (Not too sure...) so there will need to be some nerfs if this moveset were to be used in the game.

It would be nice if there were a timer or a bar of some sort to measure the amount of flight time the player has left or for the amount of time that would need to pass to go out of flight range or under the stage so that there wouldn't need to be any guessing.

EDIT: Added more to the Additional Notes, added a special twist to the up taunt, and fixed a few typos.

Last edited:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Double posting can't really be helped in this thread. It's pretty slow.

Also, as the creator of this thread, I'd like to think it can stick around after the ballot is over. I'll probably rework it or something.

As for your moveset:

Like you said, a portion of your moveset was borrowed from the existing ones, so I will only be commenting on what I thought stood out most.

The idea of unrestricted flight is really cool. It would make Dark Matter extremely unique and a lot of fun to play. The only problem is implementing it in a way that works. What I gathered from your first concept is that Dark Matter could fly a set distance above the ground for an indefinite period of time. Of your two ideas I think this one is better since the second one, timed but unlimited flight, would either turn Dark Matter into "Timer Stall - The character," or be too limited to create the experience you want to provide. Given that the first concept is chosen, it almost defeats the purpose of Dark Matter having aerials apart from edge guarding. That still makes them very important since using flight to go off stage would be very dangerous, as it is limited off stage and is Dark Matter's only recovery option. Finally, I think it is important that getting hit while in flight would knock Dark Matter out of flight. That way Up-B wouldn't be an instant win button against Little Mac and just would be more fair in general.

Making Dark Matter's tilts have large sweeping motions was a good idea since they would pair so well with flight. Dark Matter would end up being a character that relies on safe pokes and spacing rather than combos which I think suits how he was in the game. Up Smash having a projectile is also a cool idea since he could KO people off the top with it while flying. This assumes that he has moves with upward angled knock-back to get his foes in the air.

Something else that stood out to me was the down throw, which puts his opponent to sleep. I don't believe anyone else has come up with this yet, but it makes perfect sense. It reminds me of Snake's down throw from Brawl.

The Up taunt idea is cool but it sounds like something that would come out of Project M or Brawl -. I don't think it fits with Smash 4 but it's neat to think about.

Also I'm glad you liked the idea of incorporating Zero 2's spike as the down smash since it would be a literal spike. That one was one of my favorites.

Overall it is a very nice moveset and I am happy to have it as part of the thread. Thanks a bunch!

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
Overall it is a very nice moveset and I am happy to have it as part of the thread. Thanks a bunch!
I'm glad you like it!

Although, something I noticed is that in the OP, the moveset does not have any bold or underlined words. Was this on purpose or accidental? If this was on purpose, then I'm fine with that, I'm sure there's a reason for it. If it wasn't then I'd appreciate it if it would be fixed just to make it easier to read. Thank you.

The idea of unrestricted flight is really cool. It would make Dark Matter extremely unique and a lot of fun to play. The only problem is implementing it in a way that works. What I gathered from your first concept is that Dark Matter could fly a set distance above the ground for an indefinite period of time. Of your two ideas I think this one is better since the second one, timed but unlimited flight, would either turn Dark Matter into "Timer Stall - The character," or be too limited to create the experience you want to provide. Given that the first concept is chosen, it almost defeats the purpose of Dark Matter having aerials apart from edge guarding. That still makes them very important since using flight to go off stage would be very dangerous, as it is limited off stage and is Dark Matter's only recovery option. Finally, I think it is important that getting hit while in flight would knock Dark Matter out of flight. That way Up-B wouldn't be an instant win button against Little Mac and just would be more fair in general.
I agree with that idea for the first option. It would mean that a good Dark Matter user would be able to stay in the air for longer periods of time, while a bad Dark Matter user would get knocked out of the air constantly.

Also, something that I noticed about your moveset is that the mirrors can reflect all types of projectiles. While that would be cool, I believe it would be better to reflect only energy based projectiles, (Like Ness and Lucas can only absorb energy based projectiles) but it is your decision (Maybe keep it as a custom move). I was originally going to add the mirrors in my moveset, but I needed a spot for possession.

Making Dark Matter's tilts have large sweeping motions was a good idea since they would pair so well with flight. Dark Matter would end up being a character that relies on safe pokes and spacing rather than combos which I think suits how he was in the game. Up Smash having a projectile is also a cool idea since he could KO people off the top with it while flying. This assumes that he has moves with upward angled knock-back to get his foes in the air.
Yeah I believed Dark Matter would be best as a Zoner.

The Up taunt idea is cool but it sounds like something that would come out of Project M or Brawl -. I don't think it fits with Smash 4 but it's neat to think about.
Yeah you're right, it might be a bit much for a character in Smash 4. Maybe it will fit in Smash 5?

Also I'm glad you liked the idea of incorporating Zero 2's spike as the down smash since it would be a literal spike. That one was one of my favorites.
I actually wasn't going to make it a meteor smash because I already gave it 2 ways to do it, but I guess it could be a meteor smash instead of stage 1 of neutral special just for the sake of puns (I still want stage 1 of neutral special to be an attack though). Feel free to make the changes in my moveset.

Double posting can't really be helped in this thread. It's pretty slow.
Thank you. I probably would've kept apologizing every time.

Changing the subject Matter, we should all try to think of a "This character joins the battle!" kind of thing (I don't know what they call it). All the other major ballot threads have one. My version is "Dark Matter materializes into battle!". It's not really creative, so help me think of a better one!

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I always clear the formatting when I'm pasting stuff into spoilers because there's a bug that will make an extra blank spoiler tag appear. Maybe it was fixed with the most recent update but I didn't bother to check.

I'm glad you like it!
Changing the subject Matter, we should all try to think of a "This character joins the battle!" kind of thing (I don't know what they call it). All the other major ballot threads have one. My version is "Dark Matter materializes into battle!". It's not really creative, so help me think of a better one!
Here are some ideas for his entrance phrase.

- Dark Matter rises from the shadows!

- Dark Matter goes hyper!

- It's Dark Matter's time to shine!

- Dark Matter zeros in!

- Dark Matter tastes the rainbow!

Every Dark Matter supporter is obligated to suggest something. Don't make me take names off the list.
I'm not serious but it would be nice if some of you came back. The ballot's almost over and it would be nice to hear some final thoughts.

Last edited:

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
Here are some ideas for his entrance phrase.

- Dark Matter rises from the shadows!

- Dark Matter goes hyper!

- It's Dark Matter's time to shine!

- Dark Matter zeros in!

- Dark Matter tastes the rainbow!
I like the 4th one the best, but I think its already been used by a character? I feel like I've heard it somewhere...
The 5th one is hilarious, but the Skittles company would never let Nintendo use it.

Every Dark Matter supporter is obligated to suggest something. Don't make me take names off the list.
I'm not serious but it would be nice if some of you came back.
Yeah, at this point it's become a conversation between you and I.

Please come back my Dark Matter family! I hardly knew you...

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I like the 4th one the best, but I think its already been used by a character? I feel like I've heard it somewhere...
The 5th one is hilarious, but the Skittles company would never let Nintendo use it.

Yeah, at this point it's become a conversation between you and I.

Please come back my Dark Matter family! I hardly knew you...
Zero (Not our Zero, the other Zero) probably used the fourth one. Also the fifth one is a reference to the Rainbow Sword so its probably fine.

Last edited:

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
By the way, here's the new thread theme.

Nice. I'll be sure to listen to it while on the thread. It's a good theme, but I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Kirby themes.

Speaking of which, my top 5 would have to be:

1. Zero Two Battle

2. Rock Star

3. Dark Matter Swordsman's Theme

4. C-R-O-W-N-E-D

5. Nightmare's theme

What's yours?

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Nice. I'll be sure to listen to it while on the thread. It's a good theme, but I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Kirby themes.

Speaking of which, my top 5 would have to be:

1. Zero Two Battle

2. Rock Star

3. Dark Matter Swordsman's Theme

4. C-R-O-W-N-E-D

5. Nightmare's theme

What's yours?
It's hard because I love so many of them. Off the top of my head I'd have to say:

1. Ripple Field 2

2. Fine Field

3. Boss Tower

4. Kabula Fight

5. Dedede's Revenge

This is not a finalized list by any means because there are so many Kirby songs that I love. These are just the first ones that came to mind. I have over 100 of them saved on my computer and don't have time to go through them all. Ripple Field 2 is definitely my favorite though.

Last edited:

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
It's hard because I love so many of them. Off the top of my head I'd have to say:

1. Ripple Field 2

2. Fine Field

3. Boss Tower

4. Kabula Fight

5. Dedede's Revenge

This is not a finalized list by any means because there are so many Kirby songs that I love. These are just the first ones that came to mind. I have over 100 of them saved on my computer and don't have time to go through them all. Ripple Field 2 is definitely my favorite though.
I forgot to include Kabula FIght! This was just off the top of my head too. I also love almost all Kirby songs.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
This is hard for me too since kirby has so many great tracks but this is my list for now
1. Moonstruck blossom
2. 02
3. Rock Star
4. Fountain of dreams(Nightmare in dreamland and melee)
5. C-R-O-W-N-E-D

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
This is hard for me too since kirby has so many great tracks but this is my list for now
1. Moonstruck blossom
2. 02
3. Rock Star
4. Fountain of dreams(Nightmare in dreamland and melee)
5. C-R-O-W-N-E-D
All of Sectonia's themes are fantastic. Of the three, Dirty and Beauty is my favorite.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I was already feeling pretty guilty that I haven't posted here in forever yet Dark Matter's my most wanted character, but,
I'm not serious but it would be nice if some of you came back. The ballot's almost over and it would be nice to hear some final thoughts.
after that I somehow felt even more guilty :laugh:. I'm honestly pretty sorry about that.

What's yours?
This is really difficult, Kirby has way too many good songs to count.
1. Zero Two
2. Grass Land
3. Dark Mind
4. Dark Crafter
5. Moonlight Capital
There's like a ten or fifteen other songs I wanted to list but couldn't, guess that goes to show how good Kirby's OST is :laugh:.

Also, while it won't help our chances for Smash 4 given how late it is, I think getting some name recognition for Dark Matter would seriously help for next game, we've already got the importance of our character down, all we actually need is for more people to know who Dark Matter actually is. I honestly think that coupled with the character's importance, if more people knew who he was, he'd have a pretty good shot for next game. Does anyone happen to have any ideas on how to make Dark Matter more well known?

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I support!
Thanks for your support! Even on the last day, any new supporters are welcome to join in.

Ironic thread title ahoy!
It is pretty funny huh. It's actually based of his second theme from Kirby Mass Attack, "Time to Shine," but it does look ironic at first glance.

Looks like I wasn't the last to support before the end of the ballot!
Thanks to you this thread has risen from the grave over the last couple days. At this point, any new supporters are practically your doing.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I was already feeling pretty guilty that I haven't posted here in forever yet Dark Matter's my most wanted character, but,

after that I somehow felt even more guilty :laugh:. I'm honestly pretty sorry about that.
I forgive you.

1. Zero Two
2. Grass Land
3. Dark Mind
4. Dark Crafter
5. Moonlight Capital
There's like a ten or fifteen other songs I wanted to list but couldn't, guess that goes to show how good Kirby's OST is :laugh:.
I forgot about Grass Land 1. Kirby's Dreamland 3 has so many good songs. It's definitely my favorite Kirby game in terms of looks and atmosphere, but the gameplay is just a bit to clunky.

Also, while it won't help our chances for Smash 4 given how late it is, I think getting some name recognition for Dark Matter would seriously help for next game, we've already got the importance of our character down, all we actually need is for more people to know who Dark Matter actually is. I honestly think that coupled with the character's importance, if more people knew who he was, he'd have a pretty good shot for next game. Does anyone happen to have any ideas on how to make Dark Matter more well known?
I was actually planning on doing a picture of all the potential Kirby reps together (Bandanna Dee, Dark Matter, Adeleine, Magolor, and Galacta Knight). You've probably seen my work before so you know I'm not the best, but I'm going to give it a go anyway. It might get us a bit of recognition from the other threads. Hopefully I can finish it by tonight, most of my drawings take around five millennium to complete because I'm not very efficient.

Last edited:

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
Thanks to you this thread has risen from the grave over the last couple days. At this point, any new supporters are practically your doing.
Thank you! I'm glad I could support the Dark Matter cause, and I will continue to support!

I was already feeling pretty guilty that I haven't posted here in forever yet Dark Matter's my most wanted character, but, after that I somehow felt even more guilty :laugh:. I'm honestly pretty sorry about that.
Welcome back, we're glad to have you here!

1. Zero Two
2. Grass Land
3. Dark Mind
4. Dark Crafter
5. Moonlight Capital
I forgot about Grass Land 1. Kirby's Dreamland 3 has so many good songs. It's definitely my favorite Kirby game in terms of looks and atmosphere, but the gameplay is just a bit to clunky.
My favorite Dreamland 3 song would have to be Sand Canyon 3, or the Opening. As for the Grass Lands, 2 and 4 are my favorites and yeah, Kirby's Dreamland 3 has a very good OST. The gameplay wasn't the best, (I wasn't a fan of having to get on, below, or... inside the friends just to use certain powers and abilities [Though in my opinion, Kine had the best powers and abilities] ) but for me had the second best visuals (Best being Epic Yarn).

I was actually planning on doing a picture of all the potential Kirby reps together (Bandanna Dee, Dark Matter, Adeleine, Magolor, and Galacta Knight). You've probably seen my work before so you know I'm not the best, but I'm going to give it a go anyway. It might get us a bit of recognition from the other threads. Hopefully I can finish it by tonight, most of my drawings take around five hours to complete because I'm not very efficient.
Maybe I can help. I'd say I'm moderately good at replicating pictures on paper, (Not by tracing either, I do it by eye) though I use graph paper for more complex drawings. Now I don't know if that actually counts as drawing skill, because It's difficult for me to visualize different positions for characters that I drew and then put it on paper, but I can try. I also have a bit of experience with using Blender (If you don't know what that is, it's a 3D modeling program in which I made my profile pic in).

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I can help. I'd say I'm moderately good at replicating pictures on paper, (Not by tracing either, I do it by eye) though I use graph paper for more complex drawings. Now I don't know if that actually counts as drawing skill, because It's difficult for me to visualize different positions for characters that I drew and then put it on paper, but I can try. I also have a bit of experience with using Blender (If you don't know what that is, it's a 3D modeling program in which I made my profile pic in).
Anything you can do is absolutely welcome. Whether it be a trace, a 3d model, or drawn on the sidewalk in chalk.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I know all of you are super excited to see my drawing but I got a bit of a late start. I'm going to post my first version so you can tell me what you think. Be honest.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
It certainly... looks amusing... Very abstract and creative.
Thanks, I try. I did a bit of extra work on it over the past few minutes and made some good progress. Unfortunately I may not get finished for a while since I'm going out tomorrow. I'll try to get it done before midnight tonight but no promises.

From left to right:
Bird Man, Gear Wizard, Banana Bandana, Art Boy, Dank Matter

Last edited:
Top Bottom