• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No, this isn't the reason why he was made. He was described as being a test, but it couldn't possibly be about if fans would buy it.

The grand majority of people who will get Mewtwo likely bought both versions of the game. Not all of them bought both games for Mewtwo (I'm one of the exceptions). They also have no idea whether or not buying Mewtwo will be an incentive for everyone to buy both versions of the game.

Then when we get to after the deal when he's available on the eShop. Obviously, only people who didn't get Mewtwo will buy him separately, but they're not promoting the notion that you can get Mewtwo separately, they're only promoting the fact that if you buy both versions you can get Mewtwo.

Mewtwo may be a testing ground, but it is NOT whether or not people will buy him, because its impossible for them to tell how Mewtwo was bought and what the reasoning was. Rather, if anything, its probably about how difficult it is to develop characters post-release, how expensive it will be, and if they can distribute them easily and efficiently.
That's what I meant, and Nintendo of Europe confirmed you can buy Mewtwo on both versions before Sakurai said "You won't be able to buy him because reasons" he then said Mewtwo can be bought the day after iirc

D

Deleted member

Personally, I think it'd be foolish for Nintendo not to bother providing Mewtwo for those who only bought one version until after the promotional deal. I mean, I only bought the 3DS version with the intentions of just having that version because it'll be a while before the Wii U would be in my reach.

Also, I was thinking that the Mewtwo download will include something extra for each version, and I am still believing they should provide new trophies for each version. About 20 for each version shouldn't be too difficult, and I would hope at least one or two would be from Golden Sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be honest, if they had chosen a complete newcomer for DLC, I might have been all over it. But using that sole DLC character spot for a veteran does not exactly inspire me.

I mean, sure, he might get some serious reworking done. And I love Mewtwo. But it's not on the exact same level as say... I don't know, Lincoln from project S.T.E.A.M, Pushmo, Dillon, Sakura Samurai (the new mini guys), or one of the squid girls/boys from SplaToon.

Maybe it's because I already scratched that itch with P:M, but I'm not entirely excited about Mewtwo. Unless it meant more characters would be on the way. But I don't like it when companies hold content for ransom (i.e., if people buy X ammount of this, we'll provide even more content).

Having said that... if Nintendo GUARANTEED that there would be a next DLC character... I'd eat my words and go buy Mewtwo just to keep the DLC characters coming.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, if they had chosen a complete newcomer for DLC, I might have been all over it. But using that sole DLC character spot for a veteran does not exactly inspire me.

I mean, sure, he might get some serious reworking done. And I love Mewtwo. But it's not on the exact same level as say... I don't know, Lincoln from project S.T.E.A.M, Pushmo, Dillon, Sakura Samurai (the new mini guys), or one of the squid girls/boys from SplaToon.

Maybe it's because I already scratched that itch with P:M, but I'm not entirely excited about Mewtwo. Unless it meant more characters would be on the way. But I don't like it when companies hold content for ransom (i.e., if people buy X ammount of this, we'll provide even more content).

Having said that... if Nintendo GUARANTEED that there would be a next DLC character... I'd eat my words and go buy Mewtwo just to keep the DLC characters coming.
The problem is selling the concept of DLC. Granted, it would've been better if it was a newcomer, but Mewtwo was a character people wanted in Brawl and in Smash 4, and finally we will get Mewtwo.

Basically, if this is your first time ever doing this, you're gonna want to try this by focusing on something that there is demand for, as well as having previous experience working on.

Hopefully, this will work out well for us, because if Mewtwo sells very well, this'll open the door for DLC. Depending on how well can and should also determine how wide this door will be opened. Unfortunately for some of us, whether or not we'll get newcomers via DLC will be determined almost entirely on the sales of Mewtwo.

However, a part of me feels that this is gonna crash Nintendo's eShop system on the first day.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You're right... he's at a level much higher than those characters...

Providing more content tends to come when the content already provided is received well commercially and the possibility of more would result in additional profit, it's not really a question of ransom.

Ransom is when there's on-disc DLC. Pay x amount and you can unlock something already in the game and all...

For what it's worth I think it's highly likely there will be DLC characters past Mewtwo. He's just the one people wanted the most so he was used in the promotional deal and therefore revealed earlier than the others. That's what I suspect.

The problem is selling the concept of DLC. Granted, it would've been better if it was a newcomer, but Mewtwo was a character people wanted in Brawl and in Smash 4, and finally we will get Mewtwo.
I really don't think it is. DLC has become a staple of the industry, and many were clamoring Nintendo to embrace it, especially with games like Smash, for a while now. Even with Brawl people wanted DLC, they just didn't have much hope for it back then. Obviously they want to entice the customer, part of the reason Mewtwo was chosen to headline the DLC I imagine, but the concept of DLC has already been bought lock stock and barrel by gamers.

The people who complain about it are just loud, not the majority. If they were the majority... we wouldn't get it with so so many games nowadays.

Hopefully, this will work out well for us, because if Mewtwo sells very well, this'll open the door for DLC. Depending on how well can and should also determine how wide this door will be opened. Unfortunately for some of us, whether or not we'll get newcomers via DLC will be determined almost entirely on the sales of Mewtwo.
I see no reason to think Mewtwo won't sell phenomenally, on par with if not more than the MK8 DLC imo. People go crazy for Smash, people go crazy for characters, and people go crazy for Mewtwo.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have no doubt in my mind that Mewtwo will sell. (I'm just afraid they'll make up excuses to stop there).
Heck, I'm a 100% sure I'm buying Mewtwo if only because the roster still looks a bit incomplete.
(Don't get me wrong, it already blew my mind with character quality. But in my mind (must be the 3DS alignment), there are still "blanks" in the roster, such as the row of 7, and the 3rd party row which could be filled with DLC characters).

I always thought he shouldn't have left. But I really REALLY hope the next DLC character is a newcomer. Mewtwo might be on a scale of his own, but I don't think I could get around to support guys like Wolf, Lucas, Ivysaur and Squirtle too, as much as I miss them.

I'd love to see Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, maybe a 2nd Punch Out! character (screw it, the franchise deserves it. At least King Hippo). Even a new DK character, K.Rool or not, would be exciting to see.

Anyway, the date is almost upon us.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'd love to see Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, maybe a 2nd Punch Out! character (screw it, the franchise deserves it. At least King Hippo). Even a new DK character, K.Rool or not, would be exciting to see.

Anyway, the date is almost upon us.
I am now in love. Saki looks like he could have been playable, and Glass Joe as best joke character

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I really, really do hope Golden Sun 4 is announced soon.

That'll be the incentive I need to actually play the damn games, eheheh~

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You all know I'd love to see a GS4 announced as much as anyone, but given the fact that it's an RPG, and given that Camelot just finished their previous game last year, even if GS was their next project, I just can't see it getting announced until, at the earliest, next year.

I'd totally love to be wrong, but we'll see I guess.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You all know I'd love to see a GS4 announced as much as anyone, but given the fact that it's an RPG, and given that Camelot just finished their previous game last year, even if GS was their next project, I just can't see it getting announced until, at the earliest, next year.

I'd totally love to be wrong, but we'll see I guess.
Eh, well I guess it would depend on the workforce in place for the game, but I do recall Bravely Second being announced like a month or 2 after the American release so who knows.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Eh, well I guess it would depend on the workforce in place for the game, but I do recall Bravely Second being announced like a month or 2 after the American release so who knows.
Yeah... but that studio has over 150 more staff than Camelot... and other than an iOS title, hasn't made anything since the first game three years ago...

Not to mention Bravely Second must re-use a fair amount of assets from the first... which couldn't be said for a GS4.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah... but that studio has over 150 more staff than Camelot... and other than an iOS title, hasn't made anything since the first game three years ago...

Not to mention Bravely Second must re-use a fair amount of assets from the first... which couldn't be said for a GS4.
That's a good point. As much as I'd like to say Camelot could make the game themselves, that doesn't seem to be the case. They're going to have to get some extra manpower to get the game out before the 3DS's life cycle...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Striking while the iron is hot hasn't been GS's strong suit for a long time...

If the successor to the 3DS were to come in let's say 2017, I'd prefer Camelot put the extra effort into a stellar GS4 for the fledgling years of that system like the GBA than pump out a title for the tail end of this system like with DD and the DS, even if we were to get that game sooner.

That said, I think the next Nintendo system is going to somehow be a combination of a home and portable console. I doubt Camelot has the resources to develop for something on that scale, and I doubt Nintendo would fund them the necessary amount for a currently struggling IP such as GS, so who knows.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder how much workforce the Mario sports games required. While I know they are an extremely small studio, is it possible they could have been working on Golden Sun 4 as a side project? I don't know what their development cycles are like but I wouldn't think it would be totally out of the realm of possibility.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Either Camelot is working on another Golden Sun, whether it's gathering ideas, thinking about a remake or whatever, or they are just simply making like Bork Lesnar and just sitting around doing nothing all lazy, eating, sleeping, trolling us with Mario Tennis and Golf, repeat.

Maybe Bork Lesnar is in charge of Camelot considering how lazy they are, and yes I'm comparing Camelot to the laziest wrestler I have ever seen step into the ring, lol.

In the mean time, are we supposed to believe that Shulk got in this game over Isaac?

I wish there was something to keep our hopes up, you know some sort of hint or something, I don't want to hear that there are no further plans for dlc at the moment from Sakurai, that frustrates me.

As I said earlier I only want Isaac as far as further dlc characters go, if we get Isaac, I'll be Stratusfied, other than that, I could care less who the other dlc characters are if there are more besides Isaac and Mewtwo.

To prove I'm sincere about this one, I'm going to say I couldn't care less if Chorus Men were added, and you guys know how I feel about idiotic characters like this.

Of course I'm not comparing Shulk and Isaac, but one has to question Nintendo's intentions, would they really give up on Golden Sun just to move on with Xenoblade?

Lets hope not...

As for Shulk, until we get Isaac, he can be Isaac...

This is only temporary, got it, as soon as we get Isaac, they will go one on one with each other in a epic feud.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Unless Golden Sun and Xenoblade's niches have significant overlap, Nintendo won't (or at least shouldn't) ditch one for the other. I mean they aren't competing like F-Zero and Mario Kart.

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unless Golden Sun and Xenoblade's niches have significant overlap, Nintendo won't (or at least shouldn't) ditch one for the other. I mean they aren't competing like F-Zero and Mario Kart.

Even with F-Zero and Mario Kart, F-Zero has significantly different gameplay... Of course, for F-Zero, the problem with it is its not as popular as Mario Kart. And Xenoblade vs. Golden Sun is hybrid action RPG vs. Turn-based Puzzle RPG. a more significant gap overall than kart racer vs. high-speed racer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Even with F-Zero and Mario Kart, F-Zero has significantly different gameplay... Of course, for F-Zero, the problem with it is its not as popular as Mario Kart. And Xenoblade vs. Golden Sun is hybrid action RPG vs. Turn-based Puzzle RPG. a more significant gap overall than kart racer vs. high-speed racer.
Which is why we shouldn't really worry, Xenoblade and GS are two completely different games!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am actually still half upset that Xenoblade got preference over Golden Sun in this game...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
First of all, Xenoblade and Golden Sun are made by different development teams, so there is no actual labor over lap between the two. Second, the two series fill different JRPG niches, as one has more of a Sci-Fi flavor while the other is much more grounded in traditional fantasy. Saying Nintendo should support one over the other is like saying Square Enix should drop Dragon's Quest because they have Final Fantasy (or vice versa.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
First of all, Xenoblade and Golden Sun are made by different development teams, so there is no actual labor over lap between the two. Second, the two series fill different JRPG niches, as one has more of a Sci-Fi flavor while the other is much more grounded in traditional fantasy. Saying Nintendo should support one over the other is like saying Square Enix should drop Dragon's Quest because they have Final Fantasy (or vice versa.)
Except that SE is kinda dropping DQ

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Except it's not? DQ X came out in 2012 and it's latest expansion was announced in December. DQ Heroes came out in Japan in 2014 and Square just announced that it will be coming to the states later this year.

DQ 11 is currently in development.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/dragon-quest-xi-is-in-the-works-but-what-form-will-it-take

What are you talking about?
in terms of international releases is what I meant, they still do things with it, but not too much. Heroes was a spinoff when people actually are waiting for 10 iirc

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
in terms of international releases is what I meant, they still do things with it, but not too much. Heroes was a spinoff when people actually are waiting for 10 iirc
DQ has always been a Japan first franchise, it's actually much bigger then Final Fantasy there and Square-Enix usually waits for a sizable install base to develop before deciding to release a main line sequel. DQ X is basically an MMO so SE might not be sure of it's profitability in the West... still, I get what you're saying. I'd love to see it come the the US, that's for sure.

I know it's easy to get caught up in inter-franchise flame wars on internet message boards, but the truth of the matter is that GS fans should probably be rooting for future Xenoblade games to do well. If Nintendo sees that the Wii U (or 3DS) has a healthy JRPG fan base they will be more apt to develop JRPGs for those platforms. You might not like New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii, but that game went on to sell 27 million units. When Nintendo saw how well the game was doing, they began to green light other retro inspired platformers such as Kirby's Return to Dream Land and Donkey Kong Country Returns. At the end of the day, Golden Sun's biggest competition isn't Xenoblade, it's Mario Tennis and other spin offs that Nintendo might want Camelot to make for them. If they think that a game like GS will represent a healthy ROI, however, it is more likely that they allow Camelot to make a sequel.

(I admit this is probably easier for me to say since I'm a huge fan of both franchises, though)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I agree, Xenoblade and Golden Sun are too different to be compared.
It's not like, for example, Fire Emblem vs Advance Wars where I get the impression that FE devoured AW, and since they have similar gameplay, Nintendo can easily go with just one over the other (FE).

This has happenned a few times... Zelda vs StarTropics vs Nazo no Murasame Jo. (Winner, Zelda)
Metroid vs Kid Icarus. (Winner Metroid, although KI at least got a 3rd installment vastly different from its predecessors and Metroid).

Star Fox vs Sin & Punishment (Winner Star Fox)

But this is TOO different. So I'm sure one doesn't affect the other.
Golden Sun needs a better timing, though. If they don't strike NOW while the DLC buzz is around, then at least wait for the next Nintendo system so that Golden Sun is a launch title. A lot of franchises die.. because they're released on past-gen systems while the new one is all the rage. :,(

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I know it's easy to get caught up in inter-franchise flame wars on internet message boards, but the truth of the matter is that GS fans should probably be rooting for future Xenoblade games to do well. If Nintendo sees that the Wii U (or 3DS) has a healthy JRPG fan base they will be more apt to develop JRPGs for those platforms. You might not like New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii, but that game went on to sell 27 million units. When Nintendo saw how well the game was doing, they began to green light other retro inspired platformers such as Kirby's Return to Dream Land and Donkey Kong Country Returns. At the end of the day, Golden Sun's biggest competition isn't Xenoblade, it's Mario Tennis and other spin offs that Nintendo might want Camelot to make for them. If they think that a game like GS will represent a healthy ROI, however, it is more likely that they allow Camelot to make a sequel.

(I admit this is probably easier for me to say since I'm a huge fan of both franchises, though)
Yup. Xenoblade is more important than some people realize. It is Nintendo basically taking an IP which got good (BUT not GREAT) response and trying to expand it further. They are trying to take it from a one-shot wonder (small) to a big franchise. We can easily see that with the inclusion of Shulk, Xenoblade on New 3DS and Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U. Nintendo is pushing Xenoblade hard and its success will help fans of other small franchises as well, not just GS.

GS and Xenoblade are poles apart in the way they play except that both are JRPGs and both are small-mid sized IPs. Xenoblade's success will definitely make Nintendo consider other franchises to be bumped up. Plus it will also help us to get more JRPGs on the Wii U if XCX sells a lot.

It might be a bit unfortunate that GS is not getting the same treatment but the success of XCX can easily act as a catalyst for the former. It is not like they are going to make XCX2 right after XCX comes out of the gate. Seeing the success of an inhouse JRPG will definitely make them consider their other franchises to add more JRPG variety on their consoles. As you said, they have to be convinced that Camelot would be better off working with a Nintendo Dev team on Golden Sun instead of making yet another Mario Golf or Mario Tennis. Hopefully they have already anticipated this and started work on GS4 instead of waiting for the Wii U game to make an impact.

As a side bonus, the success of Xenoblade X might make some of the other JRPG 3rd parties consider the Wii U again after they have mostly shifted to the Playstation.

Disclaimer:

I am also a big fan of Xenoblade but GS first :)

I agree, Xenoblade and Golden Sun are too different to be compared.
It's not like, for example, Fire Emblem vs Advance Wars where I get the impression that FE devoured AW, and since they have similar gameplay, Nintendo can easily go with just one over the other (FE).
Yea sadly so far, FE looks like it is continuously being favoured compared to Advance Wars (which I find superior in many aspects).

Golden Sun needs a better timing, though. If they don't strike NOW while the DLC buzz is around, then at least wait for the next Nintendo system so that Golden Sun is a launch title. A lot of franchises die.. because they're released on past-gen systems while the new one is all the rage. :,(
Heck if Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was a 3DS launch title (or a title when the 3DS was picking up steam) instead of a tail-end title on DS, this scenario wouldn't be occurring. Dark Dawn was released just 3 months before the 3DS launched in Japan. Considering Nintendo games are evergreen, it would be getting a lot more attention than it is now due to its bad timing.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Star Fox vs Sin & Punishment (Winner Star Fox)
Sin and Punishment II launched when the Wii had an incredible install base, but it sold so poorly. It's such a shame as that game was truly fantastic, so I often wonder what went wrong. It's obviously a combination of things, but I suspect that the fact that it was an "on rails shooter" had something to do with it. There were so many "hardcore" gamers deriding the Wii for being a casual system full of rail shooters (even though rail shooters have typically been a niche and hardcore market) that many people probably over looked it just based on it's genre. I honestly think that if the game was a million seller (like Punch-Out!!! Wii or Kid Icarus: Uprising) that we would have received a playable rep in Smash 4.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yup. Xenoblade is more important than some people realize. It is Nintendo basically taking an IP which got good (BUT not GREAT) response and trying to expand it further. They are trying to take it from a one-shot wonder (small) to a big franchise. We can easily see that with the inclusion of Shulk, Xenoblade on New 3DS and Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U. Nintendo is pushing Xenoblade hard and its success will help fans of other small franchises as well, not just GS.

GS and Xenoblade are poles apart in the way they play except that both are JRPGs and both are small-mid sized IPs. Xenoblade's success will definitely make Nintendo consider other franchises to be bumped up. Plus it will also help us to get more JRPGs on the Wii U if XCX sells a lot.

It might be a bit unfortunate that GS is not getting the same treatment but the success of XCX can easily act as a catalyst for the former. It is not like they are going to make XCX2 right after XCX comes out of the gate. Seeing the success of an inhouse JRPG will definitely make them consider their other franchises to add more JRPG variety on their consoles. As you said, they have to be convinced that Camelot would be better off working with a Nintendo Dev team on Golden Sun instead of making yet another Mario Golf or Mario Tennis. Hopefully they have already anticipated this and started work on GS4 instead of waiting for the Wii U game to make an impact.

As a side bonus, the success of Xenoblade X might make some of the other JRPG 3rd parties consider the Wii U again after they have mostly shifted to the Playstation.

Disclaimer:

I am also a big fan of Xenoblade but GS first :)

Yea sadly so far, FE looks like it is continuously being favoured compared to Advance Wars (which I find superior in many aspects).

Heck if Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was a 3DS launch title (or a title when the 3DS was picking up steam) instead of a tail-end title on DS, this scenario wouldn't be occurring. Dark Dawn was released just 3 months before the 3DS launched in Japan. Considering Nintendo games are evergreen, it would be getting a lot more attention than it is now due to its bad timing.
I'm interested in Advance Wars, but I doubt I'd ever like it better than Fire Emblem.

Now, I COMPLETELY agree on the comments about Xenoblade being a boon for Golden Sun. As I recall, prior to Dark Dawn I've heard that Nintendo actively wanted Camelot to make GS3. I believe it was mentioned in this thread. GS3 might not have done amazingly well, but I'm sure Nintendo has had similar feelings over the past several years about another Golden Sun.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No one would even bother comparing the two if not for Smash. Or if we had already got Isaac in Smash.

As if those are the only two RPG series Nintendo has ever had.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Sin and Punishment II launched when the Wii had an incredible install base, but it sold so poorly. It's such a shame as that game was truly fantastic, so I often wonder what went wrong. It's obviously a combination of things, but I suspect that the fact that it was an "on rails shooter" had something to do with it. There were so many "hardcore" gamers deriding the Wii for being a casual system full of rail shooters (even though rail shooters have typically been a niche and hardcore market) that many people probably over looked it just based on it's genre. I honestly think that if the game was a million seller (like Punch-Out!!! Wii or Kid Icarus: Uprising) that we would have received a playable rep in Smash 4.
True.
Sin and Punishment 2 was very underrated.

Would have loved to see either Saki or his son being playable in Smash.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I'm interested in Advance Wars, but I doubt I'd ever like it better than Fire Emblem.
Not to go off-topic but the unit production as well as the option of losing units, along with resource management and an overall better terrain defense system puts it higher than FE for me. Plus the different weaknesses and strengths of each CO add more strategy. Plus I find it more challenging.

Now, I COMPLETELY agree on the comments about Xenoblade being a boon for Golden Sun. As I recall, prior to Dark Dawn I've heard that Nintendo actively wanted Camelot to make GS3. I believe it was mentioned in this thread. GS3 might not have done amazingly well, but I'm sure Nintendo has had similar feelings over the past several years about another Golden Sun.
Yup. Especially considering the fact that GS: Dark Dawn did not sell much less than the original Xenoblade. But there is the fact that Xenoblade's sales in NA were restricted due to its limited availability.

No one would even bother comparing the two if not for Smash. Or if we had already got Isaac in Smash.

I agree.

Those 2 were the most anticipated for Smash, hence the comparison.

D

Deleted member

@ N3ON N3ON , I know Mewtwo will sell excellent. In fact, it might break records because people love Smash and want Smash DLC, but I also have to have a wee bit of doubt, because there aren't many certainties in life.

I am more interested in how Mewtwo's sales will affect Nintendo's decision-making on future Smash DLC. Frankly, I am part of the group that thinks the more, the merrier.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Oh, this looks like a fun challenge! Let's see...

Nintendo Owned RPGs
Golden Sun
Xenoblade Chronicles
Paper Mario
Earth Bound/Mother
The Last Story (Sakaguchi has recently said he would love to make a sequel if Nintendo requested one, by the way.)
The Glory of Heracles
Soma Bringer
For the Frog the Bell Tolls
Magical Starsign
Pokemon
Fossil Fighters

Nintendo Owned Games that are not RPGs (but people think they are anyway.)
Fire Emblem
Pandora's Tower

Did I miss any? I honestly wouldn't mind seeing any of these series get a sequel. Golden Sun is probably the most prominent and well known of these franchises that is not already in Smash Bros. (and is arguably bigger than, due to greater sales, Xenoblade and Mother.)

Nintendo could make the Wii U and 3DS JRPG power houses if they leverage their properties better. The 3DS already is, really.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Nintendo Owned RPGs
Golden Sun
Xenoblade Chronicles
Paper Mario
Earth Bound/Mother
The Last Story (Sakaguchi has recently said he would love to make a sequel if Nintendo requested one, by the way.)
The Glory of Heracles
Soma Bringer
Magical Starsign
Pokemon
Fossil Fighters

Fire Emblem
Pandora's Tower

Did I miss any? I honestly wouldn't mind seeing any of these series get a sequel. Golden Sun is probably the most prominent and well known of these franchises that is not already in Smash Bros. (and is arguably bigger than, due to greater sales, Xenoblade and Mother.)

Nintendo could make the Wii U and 3DS JRPG power houses if they leverage their properties better. The 3DS already is, really.
There's also Mario & Luigi.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092

Nintendo Owned RPGs
Golden Sun
Xenoblade Chronicles
Paper Mario
Earth Bound/Mother
The Glory of Heracles
Soma Bringer
Magical Starsign
Pokemon
Fossil Fighters

Fire Emblem
Pandora's Tower

I think you missed mario and luigi, or is that owned by alphadream?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Nintendo Owned RPGs
Golden Sun
Xenoblade Chronicles
Paper Mario
Earth Bound/Mother
The Glory of Heracles
Soma Bringer
Magical Starsign
Pokemon
Fossil Fighters

Fire Emblem
Pandora's Tower

Fire Emblem IS an RPG. Its a tactical RPG. Now, not all turn-based strategy games are RPG's, but some turn-based strategy games are, and they're usually known by a similar related term "Tactical RPG." They're based around managing a party of characters and raising their stats and levels. That's exactly what it is, its just a hybrid with turn-based strategy. FE is actually very similar to the original Shining Force games, ironically made by Camelot.

Advance Wars I don't think is because as far as I'm aware there's no leveling systems (which is another turn-off for me; they're more about maintaining units on the field rather than leveling up and managing them).

I can't comment on Pandora's Tower, though. Everywhere I go its called an action-based RPG, though.

Is For the Frog the Bell Tolls actually an RPG? Also, a lot of those RPG franchises are just one-off games. For the actual franchises:
Pokemon (kind of RPG lite I'd say)
Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi
Fire Emblem (tactical RPG)
Golden Sun
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mother
Glory of Heracles
Fossil Fighters
Magical Starsign (only two games, though)

Not to go off-topic but the unit production as well as the option of losing units, along with resource management and an overall better terrain defense system puts it higher than FE for me. Plus the different weaknesses and strengths of each CO add more strategy. Plus I find it more challenging.
Unit production is the part that turns me off of Advance Wars, actually. It almost cheapens the experience. I like Fire Emblem due to the fact that you're FORCED to manage a limited party of characters (not all of whom are good, either). The limitations of Fire Emblem are why I like it; you're strategizing the entire game. Now, I can't comment on Advance Wars overall since I haven't played it, but "unit production" is precisely what turns me off of desiring to play it since if you run low on units (some of which are actually human characters), you can "just buy more."

I think you missed mario and luigi, or is that owned by alphadream?
Its Mario. Its owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom