• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There's also Mario & Luigi.

:231:
I think you missed mario and luigi, or is that owned by alphadream?
Ah, true. I kind of lump that in with Paper Mario, but it's definitely it's own series. I just forget that it is sometimes, lol.

Looking at that list again, everything except for Magical Starsign got some sort of representation in Smash 4 (via music, assist trophies, regular trophies, or a stage, in the case of Paper Mario.)

Is For the Frog the Bell Tolls actually an RPG?
It's an action RPG, I've played an emulated and translated version of it.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Magical Starsign had stickers.

:231:
In Brawl though, I'm pretty sure there's no content in Smash 4. I could be wrong though.

I'm actually happy that Golden Sun, Soma Bringer, and Glory of Heracles have music tracks in the game, it seems like a somewhat special honor. I'm a little surprised no Last Story music made it into the game.

I don't think Pandora's Tower has any representation either now that I think about. I have never played the game but from what people tell me it seems more like the 3D Castlevania games, in that it's an action platforner with some lite RPG elements. I wouldn't consider it a full on JRPG, but if someone who has played the game wants to tell me different I am all ears.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It's being rereleased on the VC... In Europe, not confirmed for US though
If anything, I want Sin and Punishment 2 confirmed for Australian Wii Virtual Console - Even if it will be the only Wii Virtual Console game I get. I never saw that game in Australian stores, so I think we were robbed of a great game...:ohwell: ...And now Australia has to wait for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, even though we got the New 3DS first...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If anything, I want Sin and Punishment 2 confirmed for Australian Wii Virtual Console - Even if it will be the only Wii Virtual Console game I get. I never saw that game in Australian stores, so I think we were robbed of a great game...:ohwell: ...And now Australia has to wait for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, even though we got the New 3DS first...
Didn't you guys get the January Nintendo Direct? Double check, as the European version listed games to be released later, while US just said 'we have things'

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Didn't you guys get the January Nintendo Direct? Double check, as the European version listed games to be released later, while US just said 'we have things'
Yep, a great day to be a Nintendo fan... amiibos, New Fire Emblem, and seeing S&P2 listed on the Wii Virtual Console made me smile. I guess I should be specific and say I'd love to see the release date for that game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sin & Punishment 2 was awesome. Sure, the story is still hard to follow, but I LOVE everything about it anyway.
When Saki didn't make it, I was hoping for Kachi or even Isa to make it in. But yeah, the rail-shooter saturation on the Wii is what I think killed it. Could it be that not a lot of people played the original? (NoA saw this coming hence why they didn't add the "2" on the title).

I'm surprised at the ammount of Nintendo owned RPGs. Sure I could list at least 5-6 of them. But I had no idea Soma Bringer was Nintendo property.

If we'd rank these RPGs by popularity/relevancy, would this be an accurate list?

Pokemon (.... lost count)
Mario & Luigi (4 games)
Paper Mario (4 games?)
Xenoblade Chronicles (2 games)
Golden Sun (3 game worldwide)
EarthBound/Mother (Could be higher up, but basically, only Mother 2 has been released worldwide)
(The rest go here)

Basically, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi would be high up there due to brand power. But I'm not sure just how much more popular they are compared to Xenoblade series.
I am aware of there being a LOT of Mother fans, but taking in consideration that Shigesato Itoi is done with the series, it'll probably start fading into obscurity (especially if Nintendo does nothing regarding Mother 1 and 3 in the west).

... I feel Golden Sun has quite a ladder to climb to be able to catch Xenoblade now. Not only did they advertise the NEW Nintendo 3DS with it, there's a whole Xenoblade themed N3DSXL. (Nothing against the series, but handhelds used to be GS's turf..)

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Oh, this looks like a fun challenge! Let's see...

Nintendo Owned RPGs
Golden Sun
Xenoblade Chronicles
Paper Mario
Earth Bound/Mother
The Last Story (Sakaguchi has recently said he would love to make a sequel if Nintendo requested one, by the way.)
The Glory of Heracles
Soma Bringer
For the Frog the Bell Tolls
Magical Starsign
Pokemon
Fossil Fighters

Nintendo Owned Games that are not RPGs (but people think they are anyway.)
Fire Emblem
Pandora's Tower

Did I miss any? I honestly wouldn't mind seeing any of these series get a sequel. Golden Sun is probably the most prominent and well known of these franchises that is not already in Smash Bros. (and is arguably bigger than, due to greater sales, Xenoblade and Mother.)

Nintendo could make the Wii U and 3DS JRPG power houses if they leverage their properties better. The 3DS already is, really.
You forgot Baiten Kaithos. Considering it got a song in Sm4sh, I'm pretty sure it's of Nintendo property.

Then again, Culdcept, which is definately not a Nintendo franchise got one too, so maybe it's not. But it was made by Monolith.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You forgot Baiten Kaithos. Considering it got a song in Sm4sh, I'm pretty sure it's of Nintendo property.

Then again, Culdcept, which is definately not a Nintendo franchise got one too, so maybe it's not. But it was made by Monolith.
Nintendo only has rights to Baiten Kaitos Origins.

And Nintendo did publish a Culdcept game.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Unit production is the part that turns me off of Advance Wars, actually. It almost cheapens the experience. I like Fire Emblem due to the fact that you're FORCED to manage a limited party of characters (not all of whom are good, either). The limitations of Fire Emblem are why I like it; you're strategizing the entire game. Now, I can't comment on Advance Wars overall since I haven't played it, but "unit production" is precisely what turns me off of desiring to play it since if you run low on units (some of which are actually human characters), you can "just buy more."
Well it is a crucial part of the game considering you are managing an army of tanks, infantry, and other units. You can't just "buy more" without proper resource management, and losing units is obviously not favourable. You should play it to get a better idea. Plus there is no "rock, paper, scissors" effectiveness grade.

FE gets quite broken near the end when sometimes it is possible to solo the map with just 1-2 units in most of its games.

... I feel Golden Sun has quite a ladder to climb to be able to catch Xenoblade now. Not only did they advertise the NEW Nintendo 3DS with it, there's a whole Xenoblade themed N3DSXL. (Nothing against the series, but handhelds used to be GS's turf..)
Hey who knows.

If we are lucky, GS could encroach on Xeno's territory.

Technically it already has with the VC. :troll:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the 3DS was GS's "turf" we'd have a GS game on 3DS. Are we supposed to wait around preventing other RPGs on the 3DS in case we get a game which may or may not show up? If so, someone should let all those studios who have already put an RPG on the 3DS know.

That said, any game that's a remake of one which came out only a handful of years ago is by and large nothing more than a quick cash grab, including Xenoblade for 3DS. Given what the series is and what it aims to accomplish, it will likely always make its true home on consoles.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
If the 3DS was GS's "turf" we'd have a GS game on 3DS. Are we supposed to wait around preventing other RPGs on the 3DS in case we get a game which may or may not show up? If so, someone should let all those studios who have already put an RPG on the 3DS know.

That said, any game that's a remake of one which came out only a handful of years ago is by and large nothing more than a quick cash grab, including Xenoblade for 3DS. Given what the series is and what it aims to accomplish, it will likely always make its true home on consoles.
I think he was specifically referring to a Nintendo published RPG native to home consoles now coming onto handheld.

But I agree, Xenoblade Chronicles for 3DS technically is a "cash grab" and to give owners of 3DS a "new" reason to upgrade the New 3DS. They could have released it as a software download like SMG2, MP Trilogy but then it might have clashed with XCX's sales as well.

Although I do hope that GS4 is launched before another new successor to the New 3DS is announced. Not at the absolute end like Dark Dawn. It is not Pokemon which will make people rush (I will though) to get a copy after the launch of a newer console like what happened with Black 2 and White 2.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sin & Punishment 2 was awesome. Sure, the story is still hard to follow, but I LOVE everything about it anyway.
When Saki didn't make it, I was hoping for Kachi or even Isa to make it in. But yeah, the rail-shooter saturation on the Wii is what I think killed it. Could it be that not a lot of people played the original? (NoA saw this coming hence why they didn't add the "2" on the title).

I'm surprised at the ammount of Nintendo owned RPGs. Sure I could list at least 5-6 of them. But I had no idea Soma Bringer was Nintendo property.

If we'd rank these RPGs by popularity/relevancy, would this be an accurate list?

Pokemon (.... lost count)
Mario & Luigi (4 games)
Paper Mario (4 games?)
Xenoblade Chronicles (2 games)
Golden Sun (3 game worldwide)
EarthBound/Mother (Could be higher up, but basically, only Mother 2 has been released worldwide)
(The rest go here)

Basically, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi would be high up there due to brand power. But I'm not sure just how much more popular they are compared to Xenoblade series.
I am aware of there being a LOT of Mother fans, but taking in consideration that Shigesato Itoi is done with the series, it'll probably start fading into obscurity (especially if Nintendo does nothing regarding Mother 1 and 3 in the west).

With the CURRENT standings, I'd rank Golden Sun above Xenoblade. Xenoblade is hard to rank as its only got one game so far, but on average GS games have sold 1-1.2m each. Xenoblade only hit 0.8-0.9m. But regardless, we probably shouldn't really rank Xenoblade at the moment until we get sales numbers for Chronicles 3D and Chronicles X. However, if we get another GS game, I'd definitely rank GS above Xenoblade even then, since that means so far its gotten 4 original games over the course of 15 years, while Xenoblade is still sitting on 2 and is a recent franchise from the past 5 years.

At this moment in time Xenoblade is getting more attention. Golden Sun is still longer-running, though, and will be a bigger franchise unless Xenoblade continues getting games and the sales greatly top the first game, and GS does not get anymore games.

Baiten Kaitos is Namco, actually. Who helped develop Smash Bros. Nintendo might potentially own publishing rights to Origins (like they own publishing rights to Bayonetta 2), but they don't own the IP.

Last edited:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Baiten Kaitos is Namco, actually. Who helped develop Smash Bros. Nintendo might potentially own publishing rights to Origins (like they own publishing rights to Bayonetta 2), but they don't own the IP.
Really? I thought they owned the entire thing. huh... Oh well, thanks for the info.

If there were to be a Kaithos 3, I wonder who would publish it? Monolith's obviously the developer, but would Nintendo publish it, or would Namco do it?
Nintendo only has rights to Baiten Kaitos Origins.

And Nintendo did publish a Culdcept game.
Yeah, I know about the 3DS version. I actually own it, though I haven't gotten around to playing it. I've heard some good stuff though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Really? I thought they owned the entire thing. huh... Oh well, thanks for the info.

If there were to be a Kaithos 3, I wonder who would publish it? Monolith's obviously the developer, but would Nintendo publish it, or would Namco do it?

Yeah, I know about the 3DS version. I actually own it, though I haven't gotten around to playing it. I've heard some good stuff though.
Nintendo would have to publish it if Monolith develops the game. Otherwise, Namco could publish it if they used a different developer, and its within Namco's rights to do so.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
With the CURRENT standings, I'd rank Golden Sun above Xenoblade. Xenoblade is hard to rank as its only got one game so far, but on average GS games have sold 1-1.2m each. Xenoblade only hit 8-9m.
8-9 m? You mean 0.8-0.9 m.

8-9 m would make it a Pokemon level-ish Mega blockbuster :p

Nintendo would have to publish it if Monolith develops the game. Otherwise, Namco could publish it if they used a different developer, and its within Namco's rights to do so.
If that happens, Nintendo will get another exclusive JRPG on the Wii U. With a joint venture between Monolith and Namco, it would be a pretty sweet deal.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
8-9 m? You mean 0.8-0.9 m.

8-9 m would make it a Pokemon level-ish Mega blockbuster :p

If that happens, Nintendo will get another exclusive JRPG on the Wii U. With a joint venture between Monolith and Namco, it would be a pretty sweet deal.
Sorry, you're right lol. I mean 0.8-0.9m. :p

D

Deleted member

Yeah, you should've used 800K instead of 8M. If it was actually 8M, then why would we be arguing about Xenoblade? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I wish GS was 8 mil. Then we wouldn't be here discussing Xenoblade either :p

We would probably discussing about a 2nd/3rd rep from GS in Smash.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Hey guys, sorry for my absence, but for some reason, I'm not receiving notifications from the thread, so did I miss something important? (Sorry, but it is just way TL:DR).

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I have an idea, guys you'll thank me for this.

Alright, Nintendo you are forcing my hand..

Nintendo, if you don't add Isaac as dlc, so help me I'll Curb Stomp this Toad into a steel chair!

Sakurai: Ok, I'll do it, to save that poor Toad, Isaac will be a dlc character in the future

Yes, we have him, Isaac is coming to Super Smash Bros!!!

But you gotta know me better than that, I'm going to do it anyway!

* Just as I attempt to Curb Stomp Toad, John Cena arrives *

Well right on time, its John Cena here to save Toad, well know what I'm in a good mood since I finally heard from Sakurai that he will add Isaac in the future, I accept your challenge John.

* John Cena then delivers a AA to AgatioGanon putting him through a table *

Winner by DQ: AgatioGanon

Well look at that, I own a win over the great John Cena, am I great or what.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
I have an idea, guys you'll thank me for this.

Alright, Nintendo you are forcing my hand..

Nintendo, if you don't add Isaac as dlc, so help me I'll Curb Stomp this Toad into a steel chair!

Sakurai: Ok, I'll do it, to save that poor Toad, Isaac will be a dlc character in the future

Yes, we have him, Isaac is coming to Super Smash Bros!!!

But you gotta know me better than that, I'm going to do it anyway!

* Just as I attempt to Curb Stomp Toad, John Cena arrives *

Well right on time, its John Cena here to save Toad, well know what I'm in a good mood since I finally heard from Sakurai that he will add Isaac in the future, I accept your challenge John.

* John Cena then delivers a AA to AgatioGanon putting him through a table *

Winner by DQ: AgatioGanon

Well look at that, I own a win over the great John Cena, am I great or what.
So, is John Cena a confirmed DLC character? :troll:

D

Deleted member

So, is John Cena a confirmed DLC character? :troll:
Well, he WAS a playable character from Marvel vs. Capcom 3. :troll: (God, I wish I still had that fanmade screenshot)

...killing time sure stinks when you got no news to work with...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, he WAS a playable character from Marvel vs. Capcom 3. :troll: (God, I wish I still had that fanmade screenshot)

...killing time sure stinks when you got no news to work with...
im sure therell be a new direct soon and everyone can compalin about how once again there was nothing GS related

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Greninja and Jiggs were listed for Smash wave 5, and Inkling boy and girl for their own set. Seems believable enough to me, considering that wouldn't be the entirety of wave 5 or anything.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yes but Squid boy and Squid girl were apparently specifically listed under Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

To be honest, I would love for it to be true considering it could confirm DLC for Smash (besides Mewtwo) and give us two awesome Amiibo for Splatoon at the same time. Plus Splatoon could use more exposure to become a success as a new IP.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know where you got that info, it doesn't say that in the article you linked to, and on the actual site they were all just listed under "Wii U".

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
That is why I said apparently.

I went on the site and now they are gone. To be honest, I think I saw it in a comment somewhere that they were listed under Smash Wii U.

D

Deleted member

Well, if they have Gold Mario Amiibo, I think we can agree that non-Smash amiibos are likely to be down the road.

Hell, I'll accept trophy amiibos.

So... when will SSF2 release a demo with Isaac?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
And the Nintendo Direct...

I Think they suppose to show on March, April or in May.
Just saying though.

Top Bottom