• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
@ Rickerdy-doo-da-day Rickerdy-doo-da-day just an FYI, the most recent Punch Out game came out a year before Dark Dawn. So "relevancy" is sort of irrelevant if the character is popular enough, both of which Little Mac and Isaac are.

Sakurai seems to focus on the classic games from each series anyways, like he did with Megaman. Also keep in mind he revived Kid Icarus in Brawl, a character in which maybe 5% of the Smash Bros fanbase knew even existed before his reveal.
I feel that as far as Golden Sun in a game like Super Smash Bros is concerned the only game that matters is the the first Golden Sun, that's the game that's most iconic to the series.

With that said I expect Isaac to be playable with a Saturos costume because in that game Saturos was the main villain, even though Alex is the main villain of the whole series, Saturos is the most rememberable and iconic of the series.

Which brings me to the Golden Sun stage, I think Venus Lighthouse would fit perfectly, it could have Saturos and Menardi as a stage boss, Saturos battle theme and Isaac battle theme as music, I think these would be the two best choices for the 3ds version, there could be a few more for the Wii U version though.

Felix should replace Isaac as the Assist Trophy.

And of course Garet, Mia and Ivan appearing as trophies along with Isaac, Felix, Saturos and Menardi, although I think the trophies are already a irrelevant issue, it would of been cooler just having the same trophies in both games, they're just trophies, I see absolutely no point in version exclusive trophies, unless somehow we can get all the trophies from both games in both versions, gotta collect em all.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
How would he approach Speedster Bruisers like :4littlemac:? What would Isaac have to do in order to win? Where does Isaac's strengths lie in this battle?
His strength lies in his abilities to use projectiles and keep a good game of keep-away until he lands the finishing blow. Earth powers, Djin, etc.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
@ Your Hero Your Hero - very good points. Maybe Little Mac and Pit have a bit more going for them in the of the nostalgia factor? Sakurai's team was also behind new the Kid Icarus game and that may have been a factor in bringing Pit into Brawl .

@ TeamFlareZakk TeamFlareZakk - Felix would make a good alt costume as well. Did none of the other GS characters appear as trophies in Brawl?
Edit: Just checked - looks like they didn't

Last edited:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Here's a thought: Let Isaac prepare psyenergy like Dormamu in Marvel or Invoker from dota:

Up-B: Jupiter Djinn (Wind)
Side-B: Mars Djinn (Fire)
Down-B: Venus Djinn (earth)
Neutral-B: Mercury Djinn (water)

Each charge will have an attack like a Djinn unleash attack from the games, or just a flash around him that does tiny damage. Once Isaac has two charges, the next b-attack will use psyenergy of the combination of elements you prepared. It could also work with three charges, but that would make it VERY complex. Two options already gets you 16 possible attacks, so that's more than enough :p

Now, I know that unleashing djinn actually takes away your psyenergy in the game, but summons would be too op (Judgement on down-b :Kappa: )

It would definitely make him a very unique and versatile character while having the major elements of the game in his playstyle.

TeamFlareZakk

I would rather leave Djinn out of the moveset, unless Flint is a move, he's the only Djinn I care about.

Other wise do a mix of different elemental psynergy, and weapon unleash attacks for his move set.

And final smash, I was thinking something where he pairs up with Garet, Ivan and Mia for an entire attack phase of psynergies.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would rather leave Djinn out of the moveset, unless Flint is a move, he's the only Djinn I care about.

Other wise do a mix of different elemental psynergy, and weapon unleash attacks for his move set.

And final smash, I was thinking something where he pairs up with Garet, Ivan and Mia for an entire attack phase of psynergies.
I would prefer either a Summon or Ragnarok as Isaac's Final Smash.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I think incorporating djinn into the smash moves would be pretty cool, aesthetically. It would make him appear more as an elemental swordsman that way, especially if he uses all djinn types. This would also allow Isaac to use psynergy from other classes as well, like Planet Diver, Rockfall, Cutting Edge, Briar and more.

I think incorporating the djinn designs from Dark Dawn would actually be really cool this way too.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think incorporating djinn into the smash moves would be pretty cool, aesthetically. It would make him appear more as an elemental swordsman that way, especially if he uses all djinn types. This would also allow Isaac to use psynergy from other classes as well, like Planet Diver, Rockfall, Cutting Edge, Briar and more.

I think incorporating the djinn designs from Dark Dawn would actually be really cool this way too.
I would like the Djinn as long as they don't make Isaac weaker as he uses them. I know it would be a good homage to the Golden Sun series, but it would be difficult fighting as a weakened Isaac.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd like Djinn in Smash Run and they give you a BIG boost in a single stat if you can catch and or beat them

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Yeah, maybe weakening Isaac with each djinn wouldn't be the best idea, although if it's a necessary gimmick to make him unique in Sakurai's eyes then I'll take it :-)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If Isaac does get an alternate costume, I hope it is Matthew. I really would rather have Felix as a clone.

As for the Djinn, if Isaac is in the game, I am pretty sure they will be incorporated in his moveset somehow. Though I will admit, it is pretty hard to think of a creative way to implement them. If Isaac did make it in, I am absolutely curious to see what Sakurai came up with; he seems to be able to make just about anything work.

TeamFlareZakk

I would prefer either a Summon or Ragnarok as Isaac's Final Smash.
Sounds good for final smash to me, like I said don't matter, just want Isaac playable, I was just thinking about perhaps including the original Golden Sun cast some way other than lame trophies and how Megaman has a final smash just like the one I'm thinking about with including Garet, Ivan and Mia joining Isaac on a attack phase, maybe Isaac could use Ragnorok, then Garet use something, then Ivan use something, then Mia uses something, then back to Isaac as he uses a Summon, I'd be ok with just Judgement, again don't matter.

Although Iris would be nice to see as the summon.

Not sure how they'd do it, but I do like his Brute class, that's the one with the Karst moveset like Nova and Condemn, aka Death Scythe.

I think including anything Dark Dawn would be a utter waste, just keep everything classic.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I think it rather depends on whether Sakurai see a unique mechanic or gimmick in Isaac (as he seems to be looking for). I see potential in setting/unleashing Djinn, so it really depends if Sakurai is looking at Isaac all. As, to me, the potential seems easy to see.
I'd hope Isaac's potential would be obvious even to Sakurai. Isaac's use of Move in Brawl instead of a more traditional attack suggests that he does recognize something unique to the character.

I'm more concerned with how Sakurai feels about Golden Sun as a series. Isaac's merits as a character are obvious, but is Golden Sun really worth the recognition? Obviously we think it is, but it's hard to say if Sakurai would agree.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Sounds good for final smash to me, like I said don't matter, just want Isaac playable, I was just thinking about perhaps including the original Golden Sun cast some way other than lame trophies and how Megaman has a final smash just like the one I'm thinking about with including Garet, Ivan and Mia joining Isaac on a attack phase, maybe Isaac could use Ragnorok, then Garet use something, then Ivan use something, then Mia uses something, then back to Isaac as he uses a Summon, I'd be ok with just Judgement, again don't matter.
I like that idea a lot. I never really liked the idea of Judgement as a summon because it just seems too OP (unless if it worked more along the lines of not KOing anyone but adding on an extra 50% damage to everyone or something like that). A team summon with the GS crew would be cool if they each used their own powerful attacks, like Ragnarok, Eruption, Plasma and then either Glacier or Ply (to heal Isaac) occuring in waves.

TeamFlareZakk

I like that idea a lot. I never really liked the idea of Judgement as a summon because it just seems too OP (unless if it worked more along the lines of not KOing anyone but adding on an extra 50% damage to everyone or something like that). A team summon with the GS crew would be cool if they each used their own powerful attacks, like Ragnarok, Eruption, Plasma and then either Glacier or Ply (to heal Isaac) occuring in waves.
Those were the exact moves I was thinking of for their Golden Sun team attack, I prefer Glacier over heal, we need some more ice attacks in Super Smash Bros.

Like I said earlier, maybe the attack phase could go back to Isaac where he does summon something to finish up, but if anything I'd like Iris, deals damage then heals Isaac, but then again, that sounds really op.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My thought for Isaac using Djinn was, rather than weakening Isaac, they would power up certain attacks. Basically, he has four specials, four Djinn. When using one of his specials (applying to the four elements) one "Djinn" is added for that element. For every two Djinn used, that element's special goes up to the next level. Once you hit the highest level (3) and use that special, it goes back down again. So, basically, the max is four Djinn each, and the specials all include Venus in them since Isaac is a Venus Adapt. I'm replaying Golden Sun now, but I don't remember exactly if their are combo psynergy. If combo psynergy exist, all of Isaac's should be a combination of Venus and one other IMO.

Some people thought that Robin works the way of going up by one level for every attack, but that's not the case; Robin just can charge Thunder, but the other attacks don't upgrade. Isaac could have this feature instead, where every other special attack he makes powers up that special by one, then resets after hitting the top, or goes down by one after using a different element.

TeamFlareZakk

I don't see why not just have Flint, I don't want to see a move set based off Djinn, a thing nobody cares about in Golden Sun games, aka summon slaves, aka just sit there and change my class so I can have some cool psynergy slaves, again only Djinn I see necessary to even include is Flint, and that should be just one smash attack.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't see why not just have Flint, I don't want to see a move set based off Djinn, a thing nobody cares about in Golden Sun games, aka summon slaves, aka just sit there and change my class so I can have some cool psynergy slaves, again only Djinn I see necessary to even include is Flint, and that should be just one smash attack.
I suppose, its just that, Djinn is a core element in Golden Sun. :p

TeamFlareZakk

I know, @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman its just I feel Flint can represent the Djinn just fine on his own as a single move that can cleave stone, plus he's known as Isaac's first Djinn companion which he met at the start of his journey, he's the most iconic of all the Djinn, therefore I think they should just use him as one of Isaac's attacks.

This way they can mix up various Psynergies, field psynergies, and Weapon releases, the thing is Mercury, water, Venus, earth, Mars, fire, and Jupiter, wind are the elements and Isaac is a Adept which is a person who is gifted in a thing called Psynergy, technically the Psynergy is the corre element in the game.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Well you could have an attack djinn for each directional smash (one of each element maybe) and still have plenty of uses for psynergy (regular tilt attacks, aerials, grabs, etc).

TeamFlareZakk

Well you could have an attack djinn for each directional smash (one of each element maybe) and still have plenty of uses for psynergy (regular tilt attacks, aerials, grabs, etc).
That sounds fair and reasonable.

Ninjakid41592

Smash Rookie
Hey, I've been lurking on this page for a while now and recently made an account here. Please add me to the list of supporters!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is kinda how I pictured it working, actually. The specials are Djinn, while MOST of his standards are Earth Psynergy. He'll have a couple of sword strikes in there, but not that many.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
This is kinda how I pictured it working, actually. The specials are Djinn, while MOST of his standards are Earth Psynergy. He'll have a couple of sword strikes in there, but not that many.
Yeah, I felt like he should have:

B: Flint - hard chargeable leap attack. Leap length depends on charge

> B: Torch

^ B: Gust - Rides a wind current upwards. Controllable. Slow.

vB: Tonic - maybe heals to an extent? Not sure.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That slightly sounds similar to Robin o.o
The only thing really similar to Robin was wind recovery and healing down special, and its barely similar. That said, I think I found a solution.

Yeah, I felt like he should have:

B: Flint - hard chargeable leap attack. Leap length depends on charge

> B: Torch

^ B: Gust - Rides a wind current upwards. Controllable. Slow.

vB: Tonic - maybe heals to an extent? Not sure.
If Isaac uses Djinn of every element, I'd actually prefer it to be water-based rather than wind-based. Wind-based recovery moves are just too... obvious, I think. For the water-based one, have it be a pillar of water than pushes him upwards. Is there a water spell like that?

Flint should definitely be the side special, if he can leap. Because that just makes more sense that way. Gust should be down I think; have wind blow all around him, and if used in the air he stays in the air, but otherwise doesn't move (and it can't be used as a recovery like Metaknight's Down Special). Torch can be neutral.

I don't know all the abilities, though, so I don't know exactly how they work, again, its been a while since I played. But I think that would be a better setup. I also like the idea of each element "powering up" every time he uses in without using another one, so it becomes stronger each time.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
For a recovery option, I'm not sure if this is totally in line with the game (there's probably some attack that could be used for it) but what if Isaac took a leaf from Avatar the last airbender/legend of Korra and had the ability to raise the earth under him in order to propel himself into the air? There's probably some earth based Golden Sun move that could replicate this.

The raised earth could act as a temporary wall that opponents would have to hit (just once) to break, sorta like the villagers balloons.

On the stage platforms it would be more like a short plateau but off stage it would rise up from beneath the bottom screen like a spire. (The spire would vanish immediately after use on moving stages)

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
I believe that someone posted a while ago a drawn potential moveset (it was awesome) for Isaac and he had a recovery that I liked a lot.
It was creating a rock platform under his feet that he used to jump. Said platform could hit enemies when they touch it for example, so it'd be nice.

But my favourite idea is that the he uses the psynergy "move/grab" that carries him upwards :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For a recovery option, I'm not sure if this is totally in line with the game (there's probably some attack that could be used for it) but what if Isaac took a leaf from Avatar the last airbender/legend of Korra and had the ability to raise the earth under him in order to propel himself into the air? There's probably some earth based Golden Sun move that could replicate this.

The raised earth could act as a temporary wall that opponents would have to hit (just once) to break, sorta like the villagers balloons.

On the stage platforms it would be more like a short plateau but off stage it would rise up from beneath the bottom screen like a spire. (The spire would vanish immediately after use on moving stages)
I have seen people suggest similar things, I wouldn't mind that at all really. It can be based on the artwork @ ferioku ferioku is using as his Avatar.

Arteen

Smash Lord
There's a bunch of ways he can recover. He's got retreat/teleport. He can use growth to create vines. He can lift himself up on a boulder. He can lash or grip as a tether. He can use carry or scoop to lift himself up. He can use frost to create an ice pillar. He can fly into the air with a whirlwind. He could use a move like planet diver or megiddo as his recovery.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's a bunch of ways he can recover. He's got retreat/teleport. He can use growth to create vines. He can lift himself up on a boulder. He can lash or grip as a tether. He can use carry or scoop to lift himself up. He can use frost to create an ice pillar. He can fly into the air with a whirlwind. He could use a move like planet diver or megiddo as his recovery.
I really like the idea of Growth. I've always wanted a character with nature/plant-based magic. Even if Isaac only has one attack, it'd be a very neat way.

The problem with Isaac is there's just TOO MUCH potential... Which is actually a good thing, because it means Sakurai might be far more interesting into looking into that potential a lot deeper.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really like the idea of Growth. I've always wanted a character with nature/plant-based magic. Even if Isaac only has one attack, it'd be a very neat way.

The problem with Isaac is there's just TOO MUCH potential... Which is actually a good thing, because it means Sakurai might be far more interesting into looking into that potential a lot deeper.
This I agree with.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

At this point we just have to hope Sakurai has played Golden Sun. If he has, I can't see him not picking Isaac.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
At this point we just have to hope Sakurai has played Golden Sun. If he has, I can't see him not picking Isaac.

Not necessarily. Sakurai knew enough of the character to consider him and out him in Brawl as an AT. He could find him irrelevant again given the length of time passed between the original Golden Sun and now.

Devil's advocate. Don't hate. Just saying.

Destroyer713

Smash Rookie
What chances does everyone think Isaac has now?
For me, it's only 40% or less.

Think about, there's just so many newcomers that are likely to get in ahead of Isaac (Shulk, DK Rep(s), Ridley, RH Rep, maybe even Mewtwo returning) that there might not be enough room for him on the roster in the end. Yeah, he hasn't been shown as an AT yet, but you still have to remember that Isaac wasn't revealed as an AT in Brawl until after release.

As I've said before, Isaac is my most wanted newcomer right now, but I'm really not seeing much to actually indicate he has a chance of being more than an Assist Trophy at this point...

Last edited:
Top Bottom