• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If they make Isaac earth-based, I don't have any problem at all with it. However, if they want to use Djinn in Isaac's moveset, the only way I can see it is if Isaac can use all four elements.
I believe there are some attacks that are like the combination of Earth and another element. I think moves like Eruption only appear with a mix of Venus and Mars djinn.

So even if he also had those moves, they'd still be earth based in a sense.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I believe there are some attacks that are like the combination of Earth and another element. I think moves like Eruption only appear with a mix of Venus and Mars djinn.

So even if he also had those moves, they'd still be earth based in a sense.
Oh, didn't think of that. Yeah, that'd work! If they always have him focus on Earth, but allow him to mix Earth with others, great.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Oh, didn't think of that. Yeah, that'd work! If they always have him focus on Earth, but allow him to mix Earth with others, great.
He could create a sandstorm for Earth + Wind and a swamp/mud attack (I think there's something like that in the game) for Ground + Water.

Secret Sexytime

Smash Rookie
Been lurking for a while, decided it was time to make an account and stuff. Add me to the supporter list please! Really, really hope we'll get Isaac this time around...

Arteen

Smash Lord
Regarding Sakurai's interview, Robin's design sounds so much like what I wanted out of Isaac.
Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
Sword for the basic attacks and magic for specials? Sounds like Isaac!

His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it.
Gaia->Mother Gaia->Grand Gaia anyone?

He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.
I'd prefer a venus-focused moveset, but Isaac can certainly use a variety of elements. Isaac's got a ton of variety just with earth-based moves, and he's got three other elements to work with, and he has all of his non-offensive and utility psynergy too (e.g. move, halt, hover, sand etc).

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
Isaac could have a similar system with djinn powering up his moves. That's a core part of Golden Sun, where you have to balance between a djinni's passive buffs and its offensive capabilities.

Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
I'd argue that Isaac would be harder to design because there's just so much that he can do, it'd be difficult to cut it down to just a single moveset. There are dozens of unique ways to design Isaac, but his standards, specials, grabs and throws all feel so easy to imagine.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Regarding Sakurai's interview, Robin's design sounds so much like what I wanted out of Isaac.

Sword for the basic attacks and magic for specials? Sounds like Isaac!

Gaia->Mother Gaia->Grand Gaia anyone?

I'd prefer a venus-focused moveset, but Isaac can certainly use a variety of elements. Isaac's got a ton of variety just with earth-based moves, and he's got three other elements to work with, and he has all of his non-offensive and utility psynergy too (e.g. move, halt, hover, sand etc).

Isaac could have a similar system with djinn powering up his moves. That's a core part of Golden Sun, where you have to balance between a djinni's passive buffs and its offensive capabilities.

I'd argue that Isaac would be harder to design because there's just so much that he can do, it'd be difficult to cut it down to just a single moveset. There are dozens of unique ways to design Isaac, but his standards, specials, grabs and throws all feel so easy to imagine.
Yeah, I think Isaac has loads of potential. In fact, if the franchise continues, a second rep could take the other idea for Isaac in the form of a new character.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
That's what almost made me cry when I saw the reveal trailer :sadeyes: and it's why I like Robin but dislike him at the same time.
It's an awesome concept and almost exactly what I wanted from Isaac, so, if he doesn't make it, I'll main Robin.
But... I want Isaac! So I can't help but to think slightly negative about the character (that inevitable thought of "Wraagh! He took his spot! :mad:")

Ah, the humanity...

I -want to- believe that he'll make it anyway, so It's okay. And if he doesn't, let's take it with 'sportmanship', shall we?

Last edited:

EndlessChrom

Smash Rookie
Add me to the supporter list please! I want Isaac since Brawl.
I really hope we will get him this time. Isaac has huge moveset potential

(Sorry my English is a bit rusty :))

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The most disheartening thing about being an Isaac supporter is that more than anything else we're banking on Sakurai seeing his potential.

We don't have any tweets pointing towards his inclusion.
We don't have enemies in smash run that could point towards inclusion.
We don't have any upcoming Golden Sun games.
We don't even have the benefit of retro status.

We're just out here swimming in the middle of the sea.

I suppose on the other hand it's a good thing, so we don't get carried away chasing red herrings and false hopes.

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
The most disheartening thing about being an Isaac supporter is that more than anything else we're banking on Sakurai seeing his potential.

I suppose on the other hand it's a good thing, so we don't get carried away chasing red herrings and false hopes.
My feelings in a nutshell y_y
And, I don't know about you guys, but every time a reveal trailer gets aired for the first time, my heart pumps at 100mph, and when I see a shot that shows a character's brown boots stomping the floor as he appears I have a mini heart attack followed by an "Aw c'mon, that's definitely not what I wanted!"

That is the fate of us.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

One way or another, all we can do is hope.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's funny, because if Dark Dawn had met it's expectations (sales wise) I think a Golden Sun Rep would be almost guaranteed. The game underperformed though, so I almost feel like Isaac would have been better off with out it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's funny, because if Dark Dawn had met it's expectations (sales wise) I think a Golden Sun Rep would be almost guaranteed. The game underperformed though, so I almost feel like Isaac would have been better off with out it.
I don't think Sakurai will treat Isaac too harshly because of that. I'm more worried that three games still won't be enough in his eyes.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Glad to see that the supporter is even bigger than usual o.o.

If Sakurai announces a new characters for the first week of August, I will honestly freak out, because no one knows what is going on in sakurai's mind, Here's me hoping that both Ness and Isaac get a reveal, both share the same week and Earth x Earth T_T.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Sakurai will treat Isaac too harshly because of that. I'm more worried that three games still won't be enough in his eyes.
There are quite a few characters who got in with fewer games, even when not counting retros... Olimar in Brawl, for example.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Glad to see that the supporter is even bigger than usual o.o.
I think a lot of people joined because of the Shulk thread hype, and are just now finding their way to some other threads.

3 games is more then enough to warrant Isaac in Smash. Pit had two, Olimar had two, and Mother had two when they all first got reps. Actually, Star Fox and F-Zero also had two if you want to get technical, and Metroid had 3!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Both of Ike's games underperformed, yet he was still chosen over FE characters with titles who actually did notably well. (though only his first game existed when he was selected)

If it weren't for DD though the series wouldn't have an iteration in the last decade, and I can't imagine that would result in the series being better off for Smash, especially since Sakurai seems to be focusing so much on post-Brawl. DD might not have done very well commercially, but it has at least kept the series afloat.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
We really need a new Golden Sun game *sigh*

I'm at least grateful that we're getting both GS 1&2 on the Wii U VC, it could bring in more fans. I would also love to get Dark Dawn on the VC as well since I don't actually own it (I have played at beaten it though).

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
So, the fact that Psynergy is completely different from Fire Emblem mechanics means nothing? I think we're getting all three of them.
It means a -little bit- but it only means that they conflict a little less than they would otherwise. "Energy powers" are still "energy powers," it doesn't matter whether it's Mewtwo's psychic abilities or Lucario's aura; or Psynergy vs FE mechanics. In his interview on Chrom, Sakurai talked about Robin being a "magic swordsmen" niche, which helps make my point.

Just cause they all use swords and some kinda of magical type thing doesn't mean there's room for only one.

If that were true we'd only have Link for swordsmen.
Swordsman is just a core component -- the unique aspect is what else they do. Link is a "jack of all weapons [projectiles]". Marth is a "elegant, fencing character" designed to space/etc. Ike is a "heavy hitter". Robin is a "magic swordsman" as Sakurai admitted, with lightning emphasis. Isaac is a "magic swordsman" with Earth emphasis. "Arts" in Xenoblade, or at least ether arts specifically, are effectively their version of magic -- calling it something else doesn't change that (just like Psynergy). If shulk were to be in, he would definitely be "powering up" his attacks with "Some kind of energy" as per a magic swordsman--If Sakurai plays this up, he's occupying a taken niche--If Sakurai plays this down, he will struggle to stand out, especially between Marth and Ike (since they have unique sword techniques too.)

The thing about Shulk, and Xenoblade in general is that it is much more Sci-Fi then it is fantasy. When you actually see Shulk in combat it becomes very apparent, his sword is a giant beam sword that fluctuates in size.

Isaac vs. Robin is interesting. I feel like Isaac is more about power and less about finesse then Robin, in both magic use and sword play. He is a Venus adept, and his power comes from the earth after all.

On top of that, Sakurai seems to be wanting to include fighters with unique gimmicks this time around, and Shulk could provide that with his talent gauge and Isaac could do the same with the Djinn system.

All three would bring VERY different things to the table.
I don't think "Sci-Fantasy" 'effective magic' can be distinguished in a non-canon cross-franchise game from traditional magic, or any other effective forms of "energy powers".
I don't think Sakurai is doing that much with unique gimmicks -- We've lost all transformations, lost PkMn trainer (and thus some unique mechanics), and we've only seen 3 or 4, which seems akin to Brawl.
I think Shulk could stand out from the other two, but not from the entire cast, and I question whether Sakurai would think it's worth it to try to differentiate so much between "magic swordsman" when he could just add a truly unique character from a different franchise.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think a lot of people joined because of the Shulk thread hype, and are just now finding their way to some other threads.

3 games is more then enough to warrant Isaac in Smash. Pit had two, Olimar had two, and Mother had two when they all first got reps. Actually, Star Fox and F-Zero also had two if you want to get technical, and Metroid had 3!
I think it is also to gain allies when it comes to supporters since both Isaac and Shulk break the mold of typical swordsmen and do nothing alike.

It is kind of like the Ridley and King K. Rool threads, they both are villains, but since they are not threats to each other most people tend to agree.

Characters from different series tend not to be seen as threats.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think it is also to gain allies when it comes to supporters since both Isaac and Shulk break the mold of typical swordsmen and do nothing alike.

It is kind of like the Ridley and King K. Rool threads, they both are villains, but since they are not threats to each other most people tend to agree.

Characters from different series tend not to be seen as threats.
Yeah, if you break the two series down to their JRPG roots, Xenoblade is Phantasy Star and Golden Sun is Dragon Warrior. Just being JRPGs doesn't make them the same thing.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't think Sakurai is doing that much with unique gimmicks
The only thing we lost in the translation from Brawl are transformation characters. Little Mac's poor air game and KO meter, Rosaline's puppeteering of the Luma, and Robin's breakable Tomes are all pretty obvious gimmicks.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Hmm, Robin's reveal seems to further confirm Sakurai looking for unique mechanics. And Isaac could easily have one involving setting and using his Djinni. Another Spellsword may not be exactly likely, but at least Isaac is capable of Spells Robin cannot even come close to learning. And, Isaac could be given an axe instead of a sword (even if I doubt that, it would make the sword-haters shut their mouths). As of yet, there are no Axe wielders in Smash. So perhaps Sakurai will do that to further set him apart from the rest of the cast. Axes are far the far manlier option, anyway.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Time to make my Isaac moveset

:GCA::GCA::GCA:-Downward slash, the double forward-moving slash
:GCU:+:GCA:- Casts a weak , small rock projectile with no knockback that lasts for a short while
:GCR:+:GCA:-Uses Punji, casting a bamboo that sprouts from the ground.
:GCD:+:GCA:-Uses Growth to cast grass which sprouts from below Isaac
:GCCU:+:GCA:-Gaia. A shower of Venus energy and boulders rain closely upon the enemy.
:GCCR:+:GCA:-Thorn. A field of spiked vines sprout out from the ground in front of Isaac. Does not deal much knockback and lasts for a few moments. It does not hurt Isaac, meaning he can use Thorn as a temporary over.
:GCCD:+:GCA:-Spire.A stalagmite is cast twice. Where the direction held is down-right or down left during these two castings determines where the Spires is casts from, whether it is directly in front of Isaac or behind for for the two castinsg. Thing something sorta like Lucas's Down-Smash.
Aerial:GCA:- Cast a rock wall in front of him.
Aerial+:GCR:+:GCA:- Halt. Temporarily stops an opponent mid-movement, stunning them and letting them fall down for a brief movement in an helpless state
Aerial+:GCD:+:GCA:-Pound. Casts a magical giant hand that pounds the opponent below Isaac. Can be used to spike enemies.
Aerial+:GCL:+:GCA:-Force. Has good knockback. It involves casting a giant magical fists that leaves after-images behind it
Aerial+:GCU:+:GCA:-Upwards kick followed by Isaac casting thorny vines above him
:GCZ:+:GCZ:-Sends out a Magical Giant hand after opponent to grab them. Has great range. The pummel would be the Hand crushing the opponent multiple times
:GCZ:+:GCR:-Front-Slap. Slaps off the opponent, knocking them off forwards.
:GCZ:+:GCU:-Catch-The Hand throws the opponent upwards
:GCZ:+:GCD:-Pound. The Hand just crushes the opponent on the stage with a flat hand. Causes the opponent to bounce.
:GCZ:+:GCL:-Back-Slap-Same as Front-Slap except of course, done backwards.

Special Moves
:GCB:-Move- works similar to how it did in Brawl, except much smaller, dealing damage and with far less knockback. However, it does have several expanded abilities such as the ability to grab and throw opponents in mid-air.Press :GCB: once to activate Move. Whilst it is still active, press:GCB: before it disappears in order to grab the opponent. If successful, one has a short period of time to control the Hand whilst still holding:GCB: before being forced to throw them. One can throw them in any different direction.

:GCR:+:GCB:-Great Wall- Chargeable move. The level of charge that is held determines the distance in which Isaac creates the wall from him as well as its power in terms of damage dealt and knockback given. Great for immediately stopping all momentum of the opponent if they end up in contact with it, as they end up stunned and any damage would be absorbed by the wall. A key move in limiting offensive approach

:GCU:+:GCB:-Wild Growth- A great, thick tangle of vines ends up sprouting from a yellow portal made out of Venus energy. Very useful anti-air attack and the primary recovery method that Isaac would use. After Wild Growth stops, Isaac can the climb the vine in order to gain ground. Does not cause helpless state. Can still attack whilst climbing, however, Isaac can only attack with his sword with the:GCA: button. Another key anti-air move due to its great reach. Useful for attacking opponents directly above you.

:GCD:+:GCB:-Quake- The floor that Isaac is on ends up shaking. Opponents that are on the floor or in close proximity are send upwards, bouncing three times before being knocked up upwards

Final Smash

Judgement

As for his gameplay, I expect Isaac's gameplay to be based around anti-air zoning and ground dominance by limiting offensive approaches, heavily relying on his magical hand and his other techniques to bring the opponent down to earth. Whilst he'll be more of a grounded character, I don't expect that he will be heavily relying on mobility as it would be below-average. Rather, he stands his ground and uses techniques such as Quake, Rockfall, Spires and Growth to control and dominate on his own terms.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
The only thing we lost in the translation from Brawl are transformation characters. Little Mac's poor air game and KO meter, Rosaline's puppeteering of the Luma, and Robin's breakable Tomes are all pretty obvious gimmicks.
We lost 2 basic transformations, 1 unique transformation set, and the fatigue of PkMn trainer. If we assume Lucario has his gimmick still, then we have 4 gimmicks in 36 revealed characters (or 38 if 3 Miis).

I'm leaning towards us exhausting our unique gimmick slots, but I think more info has to come out first.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
We lost 2 basic transformations, 1 unique transformation set, and the fatigue of PkMn trainer. If we assume Lucario has his gimmick still, then we have 4 gimmicks in 36 revealed characters (or 38 if 3 Miis).

I'm leaning towards us exhausting our unique gimmick slots, but I think more info has to come out first.
Lucario's Aura has been confirmed and buffed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, there goes the Gematsu Plus Rumour down the toilet. According to said rumour, Wario was going to be released by the end of this week, but alas, he hasn't.

That being said, mine hopes of Isaac's inclusion are unaffected.
That was killed last week, the Gematsu Plus Rumor was first released on July 3rd, which meant Wario needed to have been revealed LAST Friday. Don't forget, too, that Chrom was already killed; he wasn't ever once on the roster. The only possible way Gematsu P2 is legit at this point is if the guy overheard a conversation about a main Protagonist of Awakening, but the likelihood of that ever popping up instead of simply "Robin", "Reflet", "My Unit", or "Avatar" is slim-to-none.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
That was killed last week, the Gematsu Plus Rumor was first released on July 3rd, which meant Wario needed to have been revealed LAST Friday. Don't forget, too, that Chrom was already killed; he wasn't ever once on the roster. The only possible way Gematsu P2 is legit at this point is if the guy overheard a conversation about a main Protagonist of Awakening, but the likelihood of that ever popping up instead of simply "Robin", "Reflet", "My Unit", or "Avatar" is slim-to-none.
Didn't Gematsu-Plus die when Gematsu did?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I have been curious about our boy Isaac and how he would classify according to this list, moveset wise? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Anyone think its possible since Isaac and Ness are both psychic they're going to be revealed together as somewhat rivals? Also, Earthbound, Earth Adept, etc. I think that's HIGHLY probable.
That's a pretty interesting thought and a definite possibility. I think Isaac's chances are slim at best, but the absence of Ness or Lucas may very well be because they'll show up in a reveal trailer.

I'd love to see a psychic battle go down. Maybe even throw in Mewtwo for some extra excitement.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In my personal opinion, Isaac is currently the fourth-mostlikely character to be playable, based on my own observations and thoughts, just ahead of a Rhythm Heaven rep and just behind Shulk. (K. Rool and Ridley being the second and first, respectively).

I think Isaac might be a Juggler/Speedster, based on his Psynergy capabilities he'd mostlikely use. I thought about saying Zoner, but I'm not sure, I'm iffy a bit on Isaac.

EDIT: On that note, I'm starting up Golden Sun tonight! Finally! Maybe by the time I finish the game Isaac will be announced. :D

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
In my personal opinion, Isaac is currently the fourth-mostlikely character to be playable, based on my own observations and thoughts, just ahead of a Rhythm Heaven rep and just behind Shulk. (K. Rool and Ridley being the second and first, respectively).
Soo.

1. Ridley
2. K. Rool
3. Shulk
4. Isaac
5. Rhythm Heaven rep

Out of curiosity, why do you think that? I think the RH Smash Run enemy makes a Rhythm Heaven rep more likely than any of these, except maybe Ridley. (You could argue the same for K. Rool, but his series already has a rep.)

I'm set on the fact that we won't know Golden Sun's representation in this game until release or right before release when the roster is leaked. I would expect Isaac to be secret again, whether that's an AT or a character. Without a doubt though, he will be one of those two options.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Soo.

1. Ridley
2. K. Rool
3. Shulk
4. Isaac
5. Rhythm Heaven rep

Out of curiosity, why do you think that? I think the RH Smash Run enemy makes a Rhythm Heaven rep more likely than any of these, except maybe Ridley. (You could argue the same for K. Rool, but his series already has a rep.)

I'm set on the fact that we won't know Golden Sun's representation in this game until release or right before release when the roster is leaked. I would expect Isaac to be secret again, whether that's an AT or a character. Without a doubt though, he will be one of those two options.
Rhythm Heaven rep is a bit iffy, I'm not really sure why they'd have enemies in Smash Run if Sakurai was going to later announce a character from the franchise. I'd think he'd have left them out, or, they aren't playable and only have a stage. I could be wrong, I guess, its just my opinion. K. Rool because Kremlings haven't appeared since 2008 and have never been random enemies without K. Rool around, and Sakurai was perfectly content having DK fight Bowser's enemies in the SSE.

Top Bottom