• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I think that if Isaac is in the game, he will be a secret character. I don't know why, but it just seems that way to me.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
A lot of new supporters, must be a good sign... Welcome everyone! :estatic:

About Robin's boots... Hmm, maybe all that work on Isaac's model gave the design team some inspiration for Robin? :p

Anyway, I read Sakurai's statements about Robin/Lucina, and two things stand out:

* He doesn't want "simple sword wielders", which Isaac isn't... GOOD!
* He's including characters based on originality and rich movesets (like we speculated)... GOOD!

This just gives me more hope for Isaac. :awesome:

Staarih

Smash Master
Call me crazy, but the boots actually give me more hope for Isaac haha! If I've understood correctly, Robin's feet are barely visible in Awakening (?), so an easy way out is recycling. Those boots could definitely originate from Isaac's model haha! Wishful thinking and straw-grasping, definitely, but I guess that's what it's like when you support someone.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I just had another intro idea where maybe other Nintendo characters take the place of other adepts and that could be the gimmick of the official art and trailer. Ex: Captain Falcon or Mario=Mars Adept, Ice Climbers or Greninja=Mercury Adept, Pikachu or Kirby or Link= Jupiter Adept.

Also, I don't think Robin's inclusion really hinders Isaac at all TBH. If anything, I feel it may help support him due to the fact that Robin was made very unique so Sakurai may see some potential to be had with Isaac.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
I encourage a lot of you guys to go back and play through the games again, if you don't have a hard copy grab an emulator and get going :p

It could help get a handle on the massive number of possibilities for a Golden Sun character in brawl, and most importantly they're great games :D

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Y'know, although I prefer Isaac, as he is the face of GS and the "main" protag back when GS was at its most stellar, I could see Sakurai choosing Matthew over Isaac.

Sakurai really is focusing on post-Brawl games this time around, every single Nintendo newcomer has been prolific in at least one notable title since Brawl, but Isaac hasn't. Not to say this is patternist thinking, because obviously Sakurai could make exceptions if he was so inclined, but Matthew did have a bigger impact on his series post-Brawl than Isaac did, and they would pretty much play the same anyway. I'd wager if we got one the other would wind up an alt what with the abundance we've already seen, but you know what... I could see Matthew being the one chosen. And that'd be fine with me. Beggars can't be choosers, and at this point I'd really just love some GS representation.

I'd still give the edge to Isaac, but the bent of recency Sakurai has been on with this roster is still something to keep in mind.

I was fretting for days about Robin's name being an issue for Isaac's inclusion. Now that I'm back home on my computer and did a little research, I'm so relieved to see Robin's japanese name is REFLET.

Isaac is one of my last prayers as we approach the release. Golden Sun made such a huge impact back on the GBA, it'd be a shame to see it go unrepresented.
Always nice to hear from somebody who remembers GS's peak and the fact that it wasn't as niche a series as people nowadays seem to think it's always been.

I agree, this is how I feel about that:

Just be happy Robin's name isn't Isaac in Japan. :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I encourage a lot of you guys to go back and play through the games again, if you don't have a hard copy grab an emulator and get going :p

It could help get a handle on the massive number of possibilities for a Golden Sun character in brawl, and most importantly they're great games :D
Emulation is one way, and if you have no other options definitely better than nothing, but if people have the option to pick up GS (and soon GS2) on the VC I'd encourage that method, every copy sold on the VC shows there are still people who care about the series and would likely be interested in a GS4, which is what Camelot wants to see.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, although I prefer Isaac, as he is the face of GS and the "main" protag back when GS was at its most stellar, I could see Sakurai choosing Matthew over Isaac.

Sakurai really is focusing on post-Brawl games this time around, every single Nintendo newcomer has been prolific in at least one notable title since Brawl, but Isaac hasn't. Not to say this is patternist thinking, because obviously Sakurai could make exceptions if he was so inclined, but Matthew did have a bigger impact on his series post-Brawl than Isaac did, and they would pretty much play the same anyway. I'd wager if we got one the other would wind up an alt what with the abundance we've already seen, but you know what... I could see Matthew being the one chosen. And that'd be fine with me. Beggars can't be choosers, and at this point I'd really just love some GS representation.

I'd still give the edge to Isaac, but the bent of recency Sakurai has been on with this roster is still something to keep in mind.
I wouldn't be too shocked to see Matthew. Ey, who knows, maybe older Isaac would show up in his final smash, or something. ;D
I personally really like Matthew. He's got a more updated character design too, since Isaac's design is simpler compared to more modern jRPG/RPG characters (example... Roy's design from back when he was in Melee to Roy's design in Awakening).
Granted, Sakurai did go with Megaman's retro look rather than how he looks in his newest games (cries, capcom actually needs to get back to making 'new' Megaman games).
Iunno, maybe aesthetics matter to him too. Because Matthew has a more complex design than Isaac does. :U Between the two, though, Isaac is still my top choice.

I'm with you though-- just give us some GS rep, please! ;;

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Emulation is one way, and if you have no other options definitely better than nothing, but if people have the option to pick up GS (and soon GS2) on the VC I'd encourage that method, every copy sold on the VC shows there are still people who care about the series and would likely be interested in a GS4, which is what Camelot wants to see.
I completely forgot about VC! That's a much better option :D :p

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Having Matthew instead of Isaac would be bittersweet. But yes, certainly better than no GS character at all.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I don't know much about Golden Sun but when I think of the series, I think of Isaac. How notable is Matthew?

Morbi

Scavenger
Having Matthew instead of Isaac would be bittersweet. But yes, certainly better than no GS character at all.
Different character alternates were inadvertently confirmed, so it is always possible that we might have both. In fact, I would probably assert that that is the most likely scenario.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I agree. Isaac is more memorable for the series. Nothing against Matthew but I don't find him very worthy of filling the slot. If we did get Matthew I would hope we received a Isaac alternate outfit at the very least.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Guys I totally pointed out the boots thing a few pages ago! With pictures and everything lol.

Also I think the Lighthouses are the best possible stages for Sm4sh (maybe just switching up the elemental orb/aesthetic of the stage without being too extreme like the Elite Four stage). They could use the center part as the main stage, along with the 2-3 floating platforms and the elevator. It could be a long stage that's divided up. It would allow for easier meteor/aerial kills but harder side kills. I'd be satisfied with just one stage, I don't think there's really anything else they could creatively come up with as a stage from GS. I think Sol Sanctum could visually look nice but I don't see it being all that unique.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Three. That's it.
I just wish one of them wasn't Naruto. Bleh.

And how many third-parties?

I don't know why.
Maybe it's just in my head.
Well if it's any consolation I can't imagine Sakurai even gives fangames like SSF2 the time of day, let alone has it effect anything to do with development.

And it's not like the SSF2 team knows what the final SSB4 roster is going to be.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Oh, I forgot to mention that if Isaac were an unlockable character, I would definitely want it to relate to Master/Crazy Hands in some way. It's very appropriate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Move is ok... I don't think it holds a candle next to some of the other moves Isaac is capable of though.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
Well, I could see some of Isaac's glove-related psynergy attached to the B button.
Up B -> recovery, Isaac summon a giant clove that carries him upwards.
Down B -> Isaac uses move and... literally moves the opponent he's facing (sort of what mario's fludd does)
Forward B -> Isaac uses force and punches the opponent with a mid-range attack, can be directed upwards or downwards (this one while jumping) if used diagonally...

Etc etc... I'd like to see at least use to one of those psynergies, no other character can summon a giant white-y glove to beat the rest :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Mercury are alright I guess, but my favourite element is Glove. :troll:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I honestly like the idea of the "hand" moves as Isaac's grab/throws better. Ranged non-tether grabs are a bit of a rarity, though it is something Robin has so maybe it isn't the best idea to give it to Isaac too. Perhaps some sort of tether grab that involves vines could work. It at least sounds nice visually.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I honestly like the idea of the "hand" moves as Isaac's grab/throws better. Ranged non-tether grabs are a bit of a rarity, though it is something Robin has so maybe it isn't the best idea to give it to Isaac too. Perhaps some sort of tether grab that involves vines could work. It at least sounds nice visually.
Are you sure Robin has a ranged grab, or does he just not physically touch them?

In any case I'd also prefer the hand being primarily part of the grab game. He has too much potential with psynergy and such to squander his specials with different variations of the hand.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
That's also nice, one of my ideas for the grab is that he uses either catch to grab the opponent with one hand or lift to do it with two.
It'd result in Isaac in front of a levitating opponent helpleslessy struggling to come back to the floor for a few seconds. Your options are striking and throw him/her away, or just throw without causing any more damage.

It'd be, at the very least, funny to see.

Are you sure Robin has a ranged grab, or does he just not physically touch them?

In any case I'd also prefer the hand being primarily part of the grab game. He has too much potential with psynergy and such to squander his specials with different variations of the hand.
I see and agree with your point, but the potential is so vast almost everything is okay with me as long as he makes in.

P.S: I have noticed I spend more time looking for the english name of Golden Sun... things (attacks, locations, characters, etc), than actually writing the post, hahah.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, I would rather the hand psynergy be confined to Isaac's grab so we can save his specials for actual elemental psynergy attacks. Move/Grab/etc are ok, but I mean, like... they're basically what cut is to Pokemon, and I would not be advocating for cut to be a part of any Pokemon's moveset XD Sure, Charizard had(has?) rock smash, but even that was a bit of a strange choice. The hands make perfect sense for grabs, though, so I'm cool with that idea :D

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

I supposed that's what I meant by ranged grab. It was more of a visual description.

Top Bottom