• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Um, a fifth Zelda rep is basically guaranteed. We've had five Zelda characters since Melee (since Sheik and Zelda aren't the same character).

Now a fourth Star Fox rep I agree on. I keep seeing all these rosters that are massive, but don't include Isaac anywhere. Kinda ridiculous IMO. Even as a DK fan I'd prioritize Golden Sun getting a rep before a fourth DK character (now a third DK character I would put in front of Isaac).
Meant a SIXTH Zelda rep, I obviously see Ganon coming back in one way or another. Still hard for me to remember Sheik is her own character now, I suppose.

I agree with you on the DK thing. I am also not a fan of Bandanna Dee, but I think it's ridiculous to get 4 Star Fox reps with Kirby (which is bigger in EVERY way) staying at 3. Isaac should take priority over all of that in my opinion, though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Meant a SIXTH Zelda rep, I obviously see Ganon coming back in one way or another. Still hard for me to remember Sheik is her own character now, I suppose.

I agree with you on the DK thing. I am also not a fan of Bandanna Dee, but I think it's ridiculous to get 4 Star Fox reps with Kirby (which is bigger in EVERY way) staying at 3. Isaac should take priority over all of that in my opinion, though.
Actually, I can imagine a fourth Star Fox rep over Bandana Dee because Bandana Dee, although the fourth most important character in the franchise, isn't that iconic as a whole. Plus, Star Fox mainly has so many reps right now because most both Falco and Wolf were fairly simple and easy last-minute clones. Granted, I don't see Star Fox getting a fourth rep in this game at all, but I can see Krystal getting in before Bandana Dee.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, ideally Isaac would be my 3rd option. Which doesn't make him any less important since I always main at least 3 characters.

At the moment I have my sights set on:
:4littlemac::4megaman::substitute:

Subtitute is a blank space to be filled by a Newcomer that interest me. Isaac is one of them. But if no Newcomer that I like is revealed, then :substitute: could either be :4sonic:or:4samus:.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Actually, I can imagine a fourth Star Fox rep over Bandana Dee because Bandana Dee, although the fourth most important character in the franchise, isn't that iconic as a whole. Plus, Star Fox mainly has so many reps right now because most both Falco and Wolf were fairly simple and easy last-minute clones. Granted, I don't see Star Fox getting a fourth rep in this game at all, but I can see Krystal getting in before Bandana Dee.
Like I said, Dee just doesn't stand out to me, so I somewhat agree.... but if people want to harp on about franchises that deserve a certain amount of reps, Kirby > Star Fox.

Alright, I'm done going off topic!

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Smash Flash 2: "Isaac stands his ground"! They could have done better than that:
  • Isaac shakes things up!
  • Isaac lets out a howl!
Am I missing anything?

Arteen

Smash Lord
Sveta lets out a howl?

If Isaac doesn't make it in, I'll try Robin instead. I'll use Lucina a bunch, too.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I personally don't think Kirby nor Star Fox deserve a fourth rep. That said I'd rather see Meta Knight cut and replaced with Bandana Dee, because I simply hate Meta Knight as a character in Brawl lol (plus I love spears).

Also for the main question, if Isaac isn't in I'll likely be playing as any of the characters in my signature lol (replacing ZeldaU Link with Toon Link).

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
I kind of like the fact that if Isaac does not make it into Smash 4 he'll make it into Project M, and if he doesn't, he'll do in SSF2.

So much love for Isaac. Sakurai, give him yours too! >_<

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Plus if we do get a GS4 in the next few years I can't imagine the series will be at a point where Sakurai can still ignore it for future Smash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Plus if we do get a GS4 in the next few years I can't imagine the series will be at a point where Sakurai can still ignore it for future Smash.
Hopefully that's true.

Although Famicom/Advance Wars has plenty of games and it hasn't gotten a rep....

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hopefully that's true.

Although Famicom/Advance Wars has plenty of games and it hasn't gotten a rep....
I'd say the difference is the abundance of popularity behind a GS character. If we get a GS4 Isaac's popularity is bound to skyrocket once again.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
At least you got Isaac in Flash 2, Krystal is in that disgustingly sprited Crusade.

Seems like the creators of Smash Flash really like Brawl Era characters. I'm so glad they dropped Vegeta, Renji, and Lee.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Super Smash Flash 2 is a fan created flash game that uses the same engine as the Super Smash Brothers series. It is free to use and only requires an online connection to load the game.

Here is a link:

http://www.mcleodgaming.com/viewflash.php?id=6&type=game

To be on topic, which character do you guys think will give Isaac players the most trouble?
Thanks! I think that air-based fighters could give Isaac some trouble, considering that I see him as a ground-based character.

Arteen

Smash Lord
The anime characters put me off of trying SSF2, but I'll have to check it out once they release Isaac (although if he gets in SSB4 or Project M I won't need to).

I imagine Isaac having a tough time against fast characters or anyone who can get him in the air. He'd be a defensive, ground-focused character who tries to keep his opponents at a distance.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I still have high hopes for Isaac actually. While a new FE character and Shulk seemed like they would get priority for inclusion, there's no reason we can't have both Shulk AND Isaac, since both Golden Sun and Xenoblade are popular RPGs. Here's my thinking:

-Mother was a trilogy that was nearly exclusive to Japan and has not seen any love since 2006. It is established as a dead franchise. Yet Ness and Lucas were both in Brawl, and Ness has been in since day one despite being the star of only the second game in the trilogy. A three game series got 2 reps.

-Fire Emblem is a much bigger series, and is more widespread, well-known, and popular. It has attained a whopping FOUR characters for Smash 4 due to this (making it the fourth most repped series).

-If Mother deserves a character (let alone two), and FE deserves FOUR, then Golden Sun deserves one too, as it is also a trilogy that has done very well (better than Mother internationally) and has yet to see a playable rep.

-Xenoblade's success may warrant Shulk's inclusion too. Its also deserved; if Ness has gotten in since day one, Shulk's odds are good.

-Neither character's inclusion should interfere with the other. Both are deserved, and both should be in.

As for highlights in support of Isaac:
1. He has not been shown as an Assist Trophy, despite extensive footage of gameplay featuring a good majority of the assist trophies. Thus, hope for him still lives; after all, wouldn't we have seen him by now?
2. Golden Sun has had a new game since Brawl. It certainly is not as out of the spotlight as some other three-game series that haven't had a game in much longer, yet have a rep, such as F-Zero and Mother.
3. Gematsu debunked. So any limitations it might have posed on his inclusion (such as him not being listed as a newcomer in any of the leaks) means virtually nothing now.
4. Unlike his FE and Xenoblade counterparts, he does not have to be a dedicated swordfighter. He is an earth adept, and can therefore fight with earth spells, his djinn and other earth-based moves on top of swordplay. There is room for a unique character here. Chrom from FE was considered too bland by Sakurai and someone who wouldn't add much to smash, but Isaac can indeed add a whole new playstyle.
5. Fan support is strong, both in Japan and overseas.

Bring him on. He, Dixie Kong, Shulk and Marshal are the most likely newcomers I can see happening right now.

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I still have high hopes for Isaac actually. While a new FE character and Shulk seemed like they would get priority for inclusion, there's no reason we can't have both Shulk AND Isaac, since both Golden Sun and Xenoblade are popular RPGs. Here's my thinking:
Hey if Isaac fits in my awesome fan made roster he can totally fit in SSB4's roster too! ;)

Bring him on. He, Dixie Kong, Shulk and Marshal are the most likely newcomers I can see happening right now.
They're all in my roster too! Great minds think alike ;)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

-Mother was a trilogy that was nearly exclusive to Japan and has not seen any love since 2006. It is established as a dead franchise. Yet Ness and Lucas were both in Brawl, and Ness has been in since day one despite being the star of only the second game in the trilogy. A three game series got 2 reps.

-Fire Emblem is a much bigger series, and is more widespread, well-known, and popular. It has attained a whopping FOUR characters for Smash 4 due to this (making it the fourth most repped series).

-If Mother deserves a character (let alone two), and FE deserves FOUR, then Golden Sun deserves one too, as it is also a trilogy that has done very well (better than Mother internationally) and has yet to see a playable rep.

-Xenoblade's success may warrant Shulk's inclusion too. Its also deserved; if Ness has gotten in since day one, Shulk's odds are good.

-Neither character's inclusion should interfere with the other. Both are deserved, and both should be in.

As for highlights in support of Isaac:
1. He has not been shown as an Assist Trophy, despite extensive footage of gameplay featuring a good majority of the assist trophies. Thus, hope for him still lives; after all, wouldn't we have seen him by now?
2. Golden Sun has had a new game since Brawl. It certainly is not as out of the spotlight as some other three-game series that haven't had a game in much longer, yet have a rep, such as F-Zero and Mother.
3. Gematsu debunked. So any limitations it might have posed on his inclusion (such as him not being listed as a newcomer in any of the leaks) means virtually nothing now.
4. Unlike his FE and Xenoblade counterparts, he does not have to be a dedicated swordfighter. He is an earth adept, and can therefore fight with earth spells, his djinn and other earth-based moves on top of swordplay. There is room for a unique character here. Chrom from FE was considered too bland by Sakurai and someone who wouldn't add much to smash, but Isaac can indeed add a whole new playstyle.
5. Fan support is strong, both in Japan and overseas.

Replace Dixie with K. Rool (and add Ridley) and I completely agree with you. I don't think Isaac is as unlikely as people think. Golden Sun 1 and 2 sold way better than Xenoblade, but Xenoblade is considered more likely to get a rep? Don't buy that. Dark Dawn may not have sold the best, but Golden Sun still got a new game regardless and Isaac has loads of potential.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Replace Dixie with K. Rool (and add Ridley) and I completely agree with you. I don't think Isaac is as unlikely as people think. Golden Sun 1 and 2 sold way better than Xenoblade, but Xenoblade is considered more likely to get a rep? Don't buy that. Dark Dawn may not have sold the best, but Golden Sun still got a new game regardless and Isaac has loads of potential.
A lot of the support for Shulk likely comes from him placing first in a Japanese Smash character poll pre-reveal of SSB4 and Gematsu. Project Rainfall may have something to do with it, as well.

And seeing as how Sakurai is looking for unique movesets, I think isaac is likely. I mean, I'm playing through Xenoblade now and the Monado is a cool sword. But Shulk's powers aren't very exciting (at least at this point in the game). The most exciting thing he can do is glimpse the future briefly and I can only see that translating into Smash as a counter. Isaac has so many more interesting powers (earthquakes, vines, djinni, move, possible axes and other elements). Did I mention that the Monado can't even harm people? Shulk wouldn't even be able to harm half the cast of Smash.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I figured Xenoblade's popularity had more to do with how vocal Western fans were about localizing it, and succeeding. I never had the opportunity to play Xenoblade (even though I reaaaally want to) but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Of course we're biased but I do agree that Golden Sun (and Advanced Wars) both deserve representation on the roster before Xenoblade since they have more games and have been out longer (not so sure about the sales so I can't speak in regard to that).

Also something Golden Sun related was on the front page of /r/gaming (on Reddit) today so I decided to join in on some of the discussions over there... (major Golden Sun (all) spoilers and speculation)

I never realized how manipulated both Isaac's and Saturos' groups were in GS1. I mean Isaac is essentially manipulated throughout the first game and half of the second game because the Wise One tricked everyone into thinking that Weyard would be destroyed if the four lighthouses were lit. The Wise One can't interfere with the actions of mortals, so despite foreseeing Alex's plan he couldn't directly do anything, and he decided to lie to the citizens of Vale instead saying that the lighthouses couldn't be lit at all costs or else Weyard would perish.

What's strange is that the Wise One would rather see the world actually perish (manipulating Isaac and co to risk their lives in order to let the world die) than see Alex become a God. It's kind of silly when you think about it, but since the Wise One is a God too, maybe he thought Alex would be a threat to his God status? Makes me think that if we get a final game, this story could really turn into something waaaaaaay bigger than it's been for the past 3 games, focusing on this issue. When you really look at the character's and their motivations, it's very clear that it's Alex vs the Wise One and that every other character is simply a pawn in their game.

Also this is mentioned in the Wise One's trivia section on the Golden Sun wiki (relating to Dark Dawn):
  • It is possible to talk to Isaac after you set out with Tyrell from the Lookout Cabin; although Isaac is out of range, it is possible to talk to him by walking right up to his ledge. After talking to him a second time in this fashion, Isaac will comment that he believes someone is targetting the Wise One with an absolute hatred; after the epilogue of The Lost Age, that is likely to be Alex.
Very cool. I hope if we get a final game they explore this. I have no doubt that Alex is responsible for the psynergy vortexes that appear throughout Dark Dawn, and it could be his way of retaliating against the Wise One. This also means that Isaac has to play an important role in this story since he has some of the power Alex needed to become a God. So my guess is the vortex appears at the end of Dark Dawn to capture Isaac, Garet and Ivan's kid and force Isaac to fight. Mia and Amiti are also heavily tied to Alex and have to return.

If Alex is a partial God he could have the same issue as the Wise One in which he can't interfere in the actions of mortals (which is why he needed Blados and Chalis in Dark Dawn to do his bidding, unlike in GS 1&2 where he needed the Proxians in order to access the Mars Lighthouse)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well it helps that Xenoblade Chronicles was "blowing up" just a while before they were selecting characters. Golden Sun has never had such good timing.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'd be more hopeful, but he was a hidden AT in Brawl so he could be hidden again and not be shown until after the game releases. He's also one of many ATs not yet shown.

Something I've been mulling over is whether the amount of representation the series got in Brawl indicates anything about how 'likely' it is to earning a playable character. In the first Smash game where Golden Sun was viable, we got an assist trophy and remixed music. Not much, but better than nothing. An older series like Punch Out got even less. It was snubbed until Brawl, where it got just a single assist trophy; somehow it got upgraded to a full universe with a playable character in SSB4.

And Little Mac can't possibly be the only assist trophy to get promoted.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
In the future I can pit Isaac against Lloyd Irving... I love Smash's hardworking fangaming side of the fandom...
I'm still waiting for Lost Ages to pop up as my follow-up on my last clearthrough of Golden Sun.

If Isaac got confirmed, then what Smash Run-enemies we could expect from GS-series?

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'd love to see living statues. They were notable enough to be mentioned in Dark Dawn and are instantly recognizable.

Alternately, djinn. If you defeat one it'd give you a big stat boost, with each element of djinni giving you a different type of boost.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'd be more hopeful, but he was a hidden AT in Brawl so he could be hidden again and not be shown until after the game releases. He's also one of many ATs not yet shown.

Something I've been mulling over is whether the amount of representation the series got in Brawl indicates anything about how 'likely' it is to earning a playable character. In the first Smash game where Golden Sun was viable, we got an assist trophy and remixed music. Not much, but better than nothing. An older series like Punch Out got even less. It was snubbed until Brawl, where it got just a single assist trophy; somehow it got upgraded to a full universe with a playable character in SSB4.

And Little Mac can't possibly be the only assist trophy to get promoted.
Don't be getting our hopes up too much, now. I think it's very possible that Little Mac could be the only one to get upgraded. Although I very much hope otherwise, of course.

We're at a point where we can't say it goes one way or the other. However, as I said in an earlier post, the amount of representation in Brawl certainly points toward even more representation in SSB4... Especially considering Dark Dawn happened, and SSB4 has a portable incarnation. I definitely feel like if KI can get a second character, then Isaac should DEFINITELY make it, but unfortunately, that logic may not work in Sakurai's mind, being biased toward his "new" adopted series. =/ I, at the very least, feel that a 3DS stage is pretty much fully deserved. If GS doesn't even get that, we can really say we unfairly got the short end of the stick.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So apparently GS2 is to release on the VC in Europe... today?

Can someone in Europe with a Wii U confirm this?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well each Golden Sun game reviewed and sold worse then the last, so the case could be made that the series is in decline. With the way Golden Sun sold previously, coupled with it being released on a console with a MUCH larger install base then the GBA and there being a perception of fans being ravenous for a new entry, I would not be surprised if Dark Dawn sold considerably below Nintendo's expectations.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So apparently GS2 is to release on the VC in Europe... today?

Can someone in Europe with a Wii U confirm this?
"Content that teaches or encourages gambling"? I know that the European model of ratings for video games is different, but I doubt dice games are encouraging of gambling. Now, throwing coins into Tolbi or Lemuria's magic fountain to get weapons and a summon... that's where I master myself.

Okay, today is the 3DS presentation at Comic Con, and I'm hoping reputable (yes, reputable) sources can point out all sorts of neat things that happen in those demos. I just hope Isaac doesn't appear as an Assist Trophy.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yes, that is what I am most excited about, I severely doubt we will get any new comers, but we might see some new Assist Trophies and items that hint towards characters. Like a Mathew Assist Trophy.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, that is what I am most excited about, I severely doubt we will get any new comers, but we might see some new Assist Trophies and items that hint towards characters. Like a Mathew Assist Trophy.
That would be BLATANTLY obvious. Either its Isaac's AT or no Golden Sun AT.

Top Bottom