• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
You should get GS pronto! It is amazing! Plus its actually pretty short compared to Xenoblade Chronicles (25 hours playthrough approx).
As long as it is amazing, I do not care if it's a short/long game. Also, considering the fact that there are three Golden Sun games, it should be about 75 hours of gameplay, correct? :D

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Be warned, GS1 is real text heavy at the beginning, I know that's a turn off for lots of people. I consider it one of the best games I've played regardless
Plot-wise or dialogue-wise? I've never had an issue with any game being text heavy, so I shouldn't have an issue with that aspect. :)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Plot-wise or dialogue-wise? I've never had an issue with any game being text heavy, so I shouldn't have an issue with that aspect. :)
There is quite a lot of dialogue in the beginning, which can be a turn-off for some. It gets better later on.

:231:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
As long as it is amazing, I do not care if it's a short/long game. Also, considering the fact that there are three Golden Sun games, it should be about 75 hours of gameplay, correct? :D
Yea the game is awesome.

'Tis a short but amazing ride! Albeit a few speed bumps in TLA and some annoyances in DD, the GS series is full of FUN if not the best storyline or design choices.

Golden Sun 1 is the shortest (but BEST in my opinion overall), then TLA which offers a lot more (powers, puzzles, places, etc. but also a few boring pieces), followed by DD which definitely retains the charm of GS but is the weakest game (yet still remains underrated) in the series. That isn't saying much though since I still loved DD and it was definitely superb, if not amazing.

Games are text-heavy but I guess I like that part of the series as well. It's a part of the Golden Sun experience. Can't go without that. Plus mind reading everyone possible and casting reveal everywhere (twice, for the obsessive people like myself).

Combat can be a bit easy but is great nonetheless. Lots of variations and moves possible in its turn based structure. Summons, unleashes, psynergy, not to forget the cute little critters collectively called as Djinn.

Then obviously our Golden Boy as the star :p With his entourage of adepts.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I wish I had some picture editing skill. I want a scene of Lost Age Link spliced into Golden Sun, talking to Isaac and welcoming him to Smash.

Yea the game is awesome.

'Tis a short but amazing ride! Albeit a few speed bumps in TLA and some annoyances in DD, the GS series is full of FUN if not the best storyline or design choices.

Golden Sun 1 is the shortest (but BEST in my opinion overall), then TLA which offers a lot more (powers, puzzles, places, etc. but also a few boring pieces), followed by DD which definitely retains the charm of GS but is the weakest game (yet still remains underrated) in the series. That isn't saying much though since I still loved DD and it was definitely superb, if not amazing.

Games are text-heavy but I guess I like that part of the series as well. It's a part of the Golden Sun experience. Can't go without that. Plus mind reading everyone possible and casting reveal everywhere (twice, for the obsessive people like myself).

Combat can be a bit easy but is great nonetheless. Lots of variations and moves possible in its turn based structure. Summons, unleashes, psynergy, not to forget the cute little critters collectively called as Djinn.

Then obviously our Golden Boy as the star :p With his entourage of adepts.
Don't forget to mention the awesome music!

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Well, Golden Sun 1 is about 25 hours longs, however, the sequel, took me about 50 hours to complete and since it was supposed to be one single game, then we can consider Golden Sun to be around 75 hours long, however, apparently, The Lost Age has been released everywhere except North America... (Inb4 GS4 + GS:TLA on the Virtual Console + Isaac in Sm4sh DLC).

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I wish I had some picture editing skill. I want a scene of Lost Age Link spliced into Golden Sun, talking to Isaac and welcoming him to Smash.
I know what you mean, when I have some ideas of fun pictures, I can't draw what I have in mind... :(

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Well, Golden Sun 1 is about 25 hours longs, however, the sequel, took me about 50 hours to complete and since it was supposed to be one single game, then we can consider Golden Sun to be around 75 hours long, however, apparently, The Lost Age has been released everywhere except North America... (Inb4 GS4 + GS:TLA on the Virtual Console + Isaac in Sm4sh DLC).
Aww... So The Lost Age is not on the Wii U eShop in North America? Bummer. :/

Maybe it'll be announced at E3 this year?

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Aww... So The Lost Age is not on the Wii U eShop in North America? Bummer. :/

Maybe it'll be announced at E3 this year?
Wombo Combo: Golden Sun 4 on 3DS, Golden Sun: The Lost Age comes on VC in North America, the first Golden Sun is on promotion for 2 weeks, and Isaac comes in Smash 4!

Nintendo casts (Golden Sun) Avalanche!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Those results have been largely discounted. There is no source given for the data collection, and a lot of the choices seem incredibly questionable.
I highly doubt a respectable gaming channel would spread false information or something like that. And no they don't, most of those votes are definitely characters people have been voting for.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I highly doubt a respectable gaming channel would spread false information or something like that. And no they don't, most of those votes are definitely characters people have been voting for.
The source is 4chan. We have already discussed this information at length. It includes characters in the wrong category (Blaziken isn't listed as "already appearing", and Geno isn't a 3rd party). It includes some incredibly distorted sense of popularity, with Mach Rider being in the 13th spot, for example.

It claims to rank things by "poularity, series success, viability as a fighter, contribution to Nintendo's history, and licensing constraints". Which means, by definition, it isn't a list of top characters being voted for, because they threw in other criteria. How did the individual who released this list value each criteria? We have no idea. How were the other criteria measured? Again, no idea. How will NINTENDO measure any of these criteria? No idea.

These results are not official, and since it's not even SUPPOSED to be a listing of "who is getting the most votes", this listing is utterly useless.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
After Mewtwo + 7 there are 5 additional “Mario”s listed. This means, that there are 5 additional unused characters in the fighter table in the latest update. Right now, we know for sure that Lucas is coming. After Lucas, it is heavily suggested that Roy (Fire Emblem) and Ryu (Street Fighter) will be incoming as DLC. Therefore, we have two additional slots for DLC. Whether the two slots will be used for the ballot results, or for pre-ballot result DLC is unknown. Stay tuned for additional information.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/all-about-ryu-and-roys-files/

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy1j8E0EwWQ

These are results so far, and Isaac is high on both the Japanese list and the American list. :)
I usually like RogersBase but I don't think I can put up with watching them analyze a list that wasn't even based on a poll. That "american list" is just some random guy putting a list together. Granted a lot of the popular picks are on there but there's some personal bias too.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
Personal bias such as, and I paraphrase: "I don't want Isaac because I know nothing about him or his series." Not just an "I don't know", but an active "do not want!"

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Frankly, I find it impossible to listen to that video past 1:39.

"King K. Rool is dominating the early results."
"I mean, I don't know. No one really talked about him before the game, except for a couple people"
:facepalm:

Seriously?! How can you even COMMENT on Smash speculation and not be aware of the MASSIVE fanbase of the Big Three?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Anyone here notice the current name for the Shulk social thread?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's already been said, but RogersBase is using observations one guy posted to 4chan for his western results and a poll from February for his Japanese results.

After Mewtwo + 7 there are 5 additional “Mario”s listed. This means, that there are 5 additional unused characters in the fighter table in the latest update. Right now, we know for sure that Lucas is coming. After Lucas, it is heavily suggested that Roy (Fire Emblem) and Ryu (Street Fighter) will be incoming as DLC. Therefore, we have two additional slots for DLC. Whether the two slots will be used for the ballot results, or for pre-ballot result DLC is unknown. Stay tuned for additional information.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/all-about-ryu-and-roys-files/
That's nice, but it's not like they can't just add more later on.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's already been said, but RogersBase is using observations one guy posted to 4chan for his western results and a poll from February for his Japanese results.

That's nice, but it's not like they can't just add more later on.
As far as I'm concerned, all it does is imply they MIGHT already be working on an additional two characters we don't know about. All this jumping to conclusions about "OMG it MIGHT BE THE CAP" is way overblown and unrealistic. The ballot wouldn't be taken into consideration at all by this point.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think you're giving them way too much credit.

if they were as on top of things as you think they are it wouldn't have been difficult for them to actually find a reputable poll from Reddit to talk about, but instead they choose an infograph posted on 4chan by some random person and a Japanese poll that is from February.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Personal bias such as, and I paraphrase: "I don't want Isaac because I know nothing about him or his series." Not just an "I don't know", but an active "do not want!"
My god, that has to be the most stupid reason for saying a character shouldn't be in Smash. When I don't know characters, I at least take as much informations on it before making a... Judgment (Oh no, we already said a lot of puns here :laugh: ).

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Anyone here notice the current name for the Shulk social thread?
Yup. I do somewhat frequent the Shulk social thread so saw that. I even thanked 'em some time ago, appreciate the gesture towards Isaac :)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
As far as I'm concerned, all it does is imply they MIGHT already be working on an additional two characters we don't know about. All this jumping to conclusions about "OMG it MIGHT BE THE CAP" is way overblown and unrealistic. The ballot wouldn't be taken into consideration at all by this point.
I don't see why it would be so hard to believe that they'd only do two characters from the ballot.

That would make me really pessimistic for Isaac, but it's very probable, sadly.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't see why it would be so hard to believe that they'd only do two characters from the ballot.

Here's the problem with that idea. People are jumping to this assumption, but we can safely assume Wolf is in already since Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy are all coming back. Wolf was easily the veteran character with nothing against him and everything before him even BEFORE we got Lucas.

Wolf is not going to be part of the ballot characters, period, end of story. Its simply not going to happen, not with whom they're already working on. Which means that "last slot" either goes to a final ballot character, or they're working on another character in addition to Wolf prior to the ballot being counted.

I still feel we'd probably get at least 3 ballot characters, but I can see it being just two. But it wouldn't include veterans at this point.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Speaking of Wolf, I believe in this year's E3, we will see Wolf's release trailer (alongside Star Fox U) and probably one newcomer from the ballot (probably King K. Rool unless they decide to show GS4, in which case, it will be Isaac).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I feel like it's more likely that these are place holders for characters that are already being worked on, meaning that they are all preballot. I don't think they have a predetermined maximum in mind at the moment.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Here's the problem with that idea. People are jumping to this assumption, but we can safely assume Wolf is in already since Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy are all coming back. Wolf was easily the veteran character with nothing against him and everything before him even BEFORE we got Lucas.

Wolf is not going to be part of the ballot characters, period, end of story. Its simply not going to happen, not with whom they're already working on. Which means that "last slot" either goes to a final ballot character, or they're working on another character in addition to Wolf prior to the ballot being counted.

I still feel we'd probably get at least 3 ballot characters, but I can see it being just two. But it wouldn't include veterans at this point.
You're speaking a lot of assumptions as if they're facts, and I just can't accept that. Throughout the whole SSB4 speculation time I remember a lot of people stating things as facts, and in the end they got burnt.

I'm assuming that Wolf will be a ballot character myself.

I feel like it's more likely that these are place holders for characters that are already being worked on, meaning that they are all preballot. I don't think they have a predetermined maximum in mind at the moment.
I just don't see any amount of characters beyond five after Mewtwo being probable. Five was actually my optimistic hope before Ryu, Roy and the five slots were found.

I can see them being super conservative about this. This is the first time they've done DLC in SSB. And I mean, look at Mario Kart 8, where characters are barely anything more than model switches with less complex attributes (like weight): Only six DLC characters were added altogether, and three of them are literally nothing more than 'clone' characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just don't see any amount of characters beyond five after Mewtwo being probable. Five was actually my optimistic hope before Ryu, Roy and the five slots were found.

I can see them being super conservative about this. This is the first time they've done DLC in SSB. And I mean, look at Mario Kart 8, where characters are barely anything more than model switches with less complex attributes (like weight): Only six DLC characters were added altogether, and three of them are literally nothing more than 'clone' characters.
You also didn't think their would be DLC beyond Mewtwo. Smash DLC is big money for Nintendo, and I have been saying since day one, based on datamined info we discovered, DLC in other fighting games, and DLC in Mario Kart, that the most likely number of DLC character for Smash was 6-12.

Mario Kart is a racing game, so tracks are more comparable to characters than the actual characters are. Mario Kart DLC essentially doubled the size of the base game. That's major DLC there.

DLC could very well stop at 6, and I honestly wouldn't be too upset because I for the most part love the roster, but I see no reason to believe it will stop at 6.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
You also didn't think their would be DLC beyond Mewtwo. Smash DLC is big money for Nintendo, and I have been saying since day one, based on datamined info we discovered, DLC in other fighting games, and DLC in Mario Kart, that the most likely number of DLC character for Smash was 6-12.

Mario Kart is a racing game, so tracks are more comparable to characters than the actual characters are. Mario Kart DLC essentially doubled the size of the base game. That's major DLC there.

DLC could very well stop at 6, and I honestly wouldn't be too upset because I for the most part love the roster, but I see no reason to believe it will stop at 6.
I said that from the way things looked that we should be careful before we assumed that Mewtwo meant further DLC.

So I may have been incorrect in thinking that we might not see more, but my point is that I see many members on this forum (this topic and beyond) automatically stating things as facts. Not just "Well, I think". That kind of thinking got many people burnt, especially when they couldn't apply enough skepticism to realize that the characters beyond the leaked roster picture wasn't a guarantee.

But you know, I hope I'm wrong, that we do see a bunch of DLC characters. If we got Roy, I really hope we do get a significant amount. As much as I personally love Roy, I saw him more as a character being added in a time where DLC characters were numerous.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I said that from the way things looked that we should be careful before we assumed that Mewtwo meant further DLC.

So I may have been incorrect in thinking that we might not see more, but my point is that I see many members on this forum (this topic and beyond) automatically stating things as facts. Not just "Well, I think". That kind of thinking got many people burnt, especially when they couldn't apply enough skepticism to realize that the characters beyond the leaked roster picture wasn't a guarantee.

But you know, I hope I'm wrong, that we do see a bunch of DLC characters. If we got Roy, I really hope we do get a significant amount. As much as I personally love Roy, I saw him more as a character being added in a time where DLC characters were numerous.
Don't get me wrong, 6 is actually a pretty logical number for DLC. If Nintendo decides to release a character every two months we could see releases on April, June, August, October, December, and February. In this scenario, we would receive one ballot character from the final October results in February, giving Sakurai and company about 4 months to finish up said character. I doubt this, though, as I think it makes more sense for the DLC team to be working on multiple characters at the same time (as they are doing now.)

The extra slots could go either way, and I have seen people be certain of both. I personally feel that the place holder data is likely for character they are already working on and have some data for. They were added in this patch, meaning that Nintendo could easily add more whenever they are ready. Still, I wouldn't be especially surprised if we only get 6 new characters.

Browny

Smash Hater
The more DLC characters in the game, the more money Nintendo makes.

I think the only limit on the amount of characters, is the amount of memory the 3DS version has left.

Think about it, theres going to be somewhere around 10 million Smash owners at some point in the near future. Each character DLC is ~$4.50. That is potentially $45 million dollars for adding just ONE character at a time.

Some games dont even make that much in sales, total! SSB4 is an absolute cash cow for Nintendo, they would be mad to limit themselves to $270 million, when there is $540 million to be made.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Prior to the leak, I voted once for Roy. After the leak, I voted Ryu.
Now for a third time, I voted for Isaac. Here's hoping that Nintendo's unaware of the leak and upon seeing my first two votes goes, "damn this guy voted for the same characters we were going to add anyway, he has some good tastes so we probably should listen to him. We'll overlook that he voted thrice" :troll:

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The more DLC characters in the game, the more money Nintendo makes.

I think the only limit on the amount of characters, is the amount of memory the 3DS version has left.

Think about it, theres going to be somewhere around 10 million Smash owners at some point in the near future. Each character DLC is ~$4.50. That is potentially $45 million dollars for adding just ONE character at a time.

Some games dont even make that much in sales, total! SSB4 is an absolute cash cow for Nintendo, they would be mad to limit themselves to $270 million, when there is $540 million to be made.
While your point is overall very strong, I have to point out that not every Smash owner is going to buy every piece of DLC. There are going to be plenty of people who don't get any of the DLC for it at all.

I do think Nintendo has an advantage over most other companies in the DLC market. They have a history of solid, well priced DLC, and due to the exclusive nature of most Nintendo titles, they also have a more dedicated and condensed fanbase, which promotes the purchase of DLC. However, I think it would be optimistic to assume that more than half of the games sold are going to have additional DLC sold.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

Skepticism is always healthy. People here definitely tend to make a lot of really dumb assumptions that bite them in the end. Ie sakurai hasnt talked about ridley in over a year therefore he must be in the game! That was a real thing

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The only things I will probably not buy are the costumes, because I don't really use the Miis that much anyway.
I like the Mii move sets, and mixing up their specials makes them feel completely unique and I like having premade ones ready to go. I would also rather use Mii's as video game characters, it's something they've done in games such as Nintendo Land, rather than celebrities or anime characters or what have you. Dunban and Protoman Mii's fit in way better than Legolas or whatever.

I'm definitely very selective on costumes, though. So far, I have Link, Dunban, and Protoman. I doubt I will get anymore of wave 1. Everything else, being stages and characters, I will buy. I'm pretty happy with DLC choices so far, as long as Isaac, Wolf, and a DK character (preferably K. Rool) makes it in I'll be 100% happy with whatever we get.

Speaking of Isaac and Mii costumes, do you think we might get some Mii costumes with him if he makes it in?

Top Bottom