• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Intro To Samus + Character Match-Up's

rhan

Smash Hero
"BOOM! -> Did you hit? -> No -> How come I D-Smashed... -> WTF R U doing? -> I suck... -> Sing the Pokemon Theme song"

OMG I'm still laughing about it!

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double post, but has anyone ever made a guide for what beats what with specific characters?

I know corey wrote that he feels samus has a lot of "clank" or whatever, but I want more details.

I'm asking because I remember reading in the Ganon forums or something, someone asking what beats what in ganon dittos. Something like close bair beats fair, fair beats bair far away, uair beats fair - stuff like that.

Anyone ever made a guide like that for Samus? not just samus dittos - all characters.

Or at the very least, does anyone simply have the information?

Thanks

Corigames

Smash Hero
I don't think that I could personally write out a ditto match-up because I don't play it much at all and I'm pretty sure most other people would agree. Samus vs Samus is an endurance fight, especially if one of the ******* playing counterpicked dreamland >_>

It usually comes down to who can best use missiles take seize of the most opportune moment to advance. If you go in when they are ready, you'll get hit for sure or accidentally get held up by missiles.

As far as individual moves? Uh... I"m fairly certain Up B out of shield is still solid for someone standing on your shield, though a Samus doing that obviously doesn't get spacing with tilts. Bombs are cool, because anyone who tries to SWD to show their "superiority" will most likely hit them instead of you which leads to good-timed-punishments.

Jumping isn't too bad, but landing face first into a nair, utilt, uair, etc. just does not equate to happiness, which takes you back to the original spam missiles until someone is open tactic. Aside from that, make sure to homing missile their bomb jumps and that's all I have to say.

Samus dittos are LONG. Unlike puff dittos, she doesn't have a rest that either kills someone instantly or leaves them completely open to be killed.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm just going to add on with what Corey said.... I play my brother in Samus dittos all ever so often just to see who's a better Samus. Samus dittos are tiedious...........

On Stage

Being random is the key. CC everything into D-Smash whenever you can. Your main goal is to get the other Samus off the stage. That's when she'll be weakest. In my opinion: DO NOT try to SWD. When you're trying to attempt it, chances are they're going to shoot missles at you. Even if you pull it off there isn't any possibly way you're going to be fast enough to pull your shield out. Up B OoS racks damage still. But the Samus can almost get a free Nair afterwards. Nair is a good approach. Missles are good to have out there could catch the other Samus off gaurd and set them up for a hit.

Edgeagurding

Spaced U-Tilts if they try to sweetspot. F-Smash works well if they don't sweet spot. Nair/Bair is amazing if they're just going towards the stage. Homming missles can eff up bomb jumping. Either you'll hit them or you'll hit a bomb, either way it's gonna eff them up. Also if you can time your Dair well. This can be your best friend. If you can predict either a grapple recovery or a Up B sweetspot, just jump Dair upon the stage. Too late and they'll possibly tech upon the stage. Too early and you'll miss and/or get hit with the Up B. But when you hit they're going down.

When on the defensive. Everything is flipped. You'll know what they can possibly do to you so keep this advice in mind.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I don't think I have the time or man-power to undertake such a task to find that nor know if it's already been done with Samus. Not to mention some moves have higher priority at the start or finish of a move than at the opposite. Considering that there are 26 characters all with 3 tilts, 1 jab, 3 smashes, 3 specials, 4 aerials, and all of their timing/spacing and any special conditions with said moves... you have a large project even for just 1 character.

In general though:
If they are higher tiered than her- Samus has low priority
If they are lower- Samus has high priority

Corigames

Smash Hero
hey
alright
sp IO may have ad a bit to mcuh too derink
but the fact remains
I lsmot got beat b y a fox who only baird at gensis
which menas bmost of you ****er s reading this thread (besides alukard and darkmike) would have lost and gotten 3 stocked by this gy
named lucian
but anyway
bair from fox BEATS EVERYYTJINMG OIUR LADY HAS
he bthrwod u off and bair and ur done son
wtf
it aint right
seriously tho I ran this thru my cousin and it made sense to him
fox can bair
and there's NOTHING U CAN DO
WTF
ok disucss
I?HS?B has s[plken
**** im'm drunk
He asked, now respond.

Mine:
CC + Dsmash? Seems obvious... too obvious >_>

WD back grab? Pivot grab? Shield up B? Bombs? Tilts... all of them? I mean, I hate to sound like I'm just throwing every move out there, but I doubt that SHFFL Bairs from fox will win the match alone... were you drunk when you were playing XD

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
My head's still spinning a bit, but I'm back.
And I didn't drink while I was in Cali.
But really, you just need to play it. He said he was crew mates with Darrell, so that's where he had all the practice from.
The only way I got kills was getting really lucky dsmashes in as he landed, which caught him holding down/back and made him put the "E" back in "DI" and fly all the way off the stage.
Keep in mind, if a Fox is falling from jumping or from falling off a platform, what a wide range they get in where they can possibly land while bairing. There's no real failproof way to know where they'll land.
Dash attack would almost always hit his shield, which means I get bair'd out of shield.
Standing grab has the range, but it's easy to react to the sound and if he buffers jump or roll out of shield it leaves you so vulnerable.
Ftilt actually doesn't have enough range, it'll trade hits at best. Utilt... sometimes I had him catch my top leg before the move came out WTF. Dtilt definitely doesn't have enough range.
As for trying to get in, shield the move, then upB out of shield, something about the bair's shieldstun made it difficult for me to do that, but then I try not to upB oos too often so I'm not really all that good at getting it out fast enough.

Also off the stage, as you're trying to recover, it really messes up everything you can do. It outranges fair, uair, nair; he can camp on side platforms and fall with it if you try to wd onto the stage, if you waveland off and then try to double jump back on it's easy to react to that and full jump bair... really the only thing I found that could work consistently was doing that HugS copyrighted false jump onto the ledge where you're immediately standing with no waveland or attack. If you find the right spacing for that, you can land as he bairs right in front of you and MAYBE get a dsmash under him or something.

Alright I hope that all made sense.
If I hit submit and the internet doesn't work I'm going to cry.
Also typing that did an awesome job of distracting me from my hangover ^_^

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I play very defensively so all I gotta say about Fox's Bair is if it comes out, run to the other side of the stage and let him come to you. I typically do not ever approach people. I let them do the approaching and I work off their fuck ups. Fox wont approach with Bair usually so you dont really gotta worry about it if you have distance. This transition might be tough for some folk though because a lot of Samus mains now a day are very aggro. Hope I helped. If I didnt meh, Im from Nebraska . . .

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I play very defensively so all I gotta say about Fox's Bair is if it comes out, run to the other side of the stage and let him come to you. I typically do not ever approach people. I let them do the approaching and I work off their fuck ups. Fox wont approach with Bair usually so you dont really gotta worry about it if you have distance. This transition might be tough for some folk though because a lot of Samus mains now a day are very aggro. Hope I helped. If I didnt meh, Im from Nebraska . . .
The problem with that is, why should a Fox actually approach you when they have a gun that goes pew pew? I'm talking more about a Fox using his bair as a sort of defensive wall that he hopes you'll try to go through to get to him, not really straight up as an attack.

Also aren't you supposed to be banned? Like, REALLY banned?

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Oic, that's what you meant. I dunno then. Tell the dude he's a douche XD Honestly though, just bait him to do it then Ftilt him in the face or something. Youre a better player than me so Im sure youll figure something out though.

I talked with Dogy like a month ago about me getting banned and he let me back in. He's kinda cool when he isnt banning people.

Watty

Smash Lord
space we will talk about it at smym and i woulda waxed his ***

Alukard

Smash Hero
i'm pretty dam good at dittoz

PRETTY DAM GOOD ... right watty =] (we had maddd good games at RoM)

anyway ... a smart fox thats bairing is annoying ... and i'm sure space isn't talking about a fox just running up to u and bairing corey ... lets be serious LOL

also u should start going to tournies corey ... i dont know how people take so much advice from u yet u have no tourney record ... its kinda ... weird lol

Corigames

Smash Hero
also u should start going to tournies corey ... i dont know how people take so much advice from u yet u have no tourney record ... its kinda ... weird lol
For a few reasons. One, I know what I'm talking about because I played the game straight for 2 years and went to sooooo many events in AZ. Then, I pursued melee tournaments during Brawl's release, which means I never had to readjust to Melee after brawl. Secondly, I am not currently going to tournaments for previously stated reasons. Lastly, I do have a record and I was (or still am if it's not changed) on the AZ power ranking let alone the best player in all of WV even when they did have players :3

Was that an insult?

Watty

Smash Lord
u where very good at them ally im curious to see how u did or if u did any samus dittos with space, cause i couldnt really tell who was harder both fo ur styles are great ally ur like me with teh down airs and spaceive never really been beaten in a samus ditto on stadium like how u beat me. it was always kinda close but u where always in control i never felt as if i was gonna take the lead.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Alukard:
Plays Samus
Posts on the Samus boards
Has samus .gif's in his signature

Yet, has falco as his character choice and avatar image >_>

Pi

Smash Hero
Alukard:
Plays Samus
Posts on the Samus boards
Has samus .gif's in his signature

Yet, has falco as his character choice and avatar image >_>
alukard is just confused

falco

get off the bandwagon !!

although fox and falco are fun to play, and they're probably easiest characters to **** noobs with once you can control them

D13

Smash Ace
Bump, except not really.

Can anyone SHFFMC consistently? The timing required for it is so ridiculous. It's not very important in competition, right?

AIDS

Smash Lord
Yay! AIDS is back!

I don't think I'll ever get the opportunity to say that again.
Lol, yes I am back. Been so busy before but now my Saturdays are mostly open again so I have returned. I am not PR right now but our PR is only top 10... With what I'm performing now I still make top 15 so I don't suck too bad.

There is a BC tournament on the 30th and I will let you all know how it goes.

See what happens while I am inactive....
Counterpick Stage: Rainbow Road
Someone has been playing too much Mario Kart.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
What did we do? xD
Most of the people here suck, there's only a few people I enjoy playing with :chuckle:

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Yeah, if there was a Victoria Power ranking, I'd be 2nd-4th :chuckle:

And yeah, there is SO many 64 and brawl players here... compared to melee :urg:

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if there was a Victoria Power ranking, I'd be 2nd-4th :chuckle:

And yeah, there is SO many 64 and brawl players here... compared to melee :urg:
Maybe if Tim and Daze leave, Howard and Francis quit, Taffy never learns to control his temper, Rob never stops sandbagging, and I don't get the slightest bit better (as I've been playing competitively for a good 3 months).

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Maybe if Tim and Daze leave, Howard and Francis quit, Taffy never learns to control his temper, Rob never stops sandbagging, and I don't get the slightest bit better (as I've been playing competitively for a good 3 months).
I don't know who you are, but last time I played Taffy I owned him, I 2-0'd Francis last tourney I went to, Me and Daze are just about equal, I've beaten Rob many times. But I see your logic

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Dude, I really don't care what you have to say. If you don't believe me, I honestly don't care. Come to friendlies this Wednesday and I'll play you or w/e. I'd seriously rather keep this friendly.

Top Bottom