• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, the Rate Their Chances thread is rating the likelihood of The Theater appearing as a stage in the upcoming Smash game, as well as how much they want it. Be sure to stop by and leave a nice rating.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
What's the chances well get another Mario Rep?
I'd say if we're talking Mario, Mario (Not any of the subsidiaries) then I'd say fairly unlikely. The most requested are Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Toad and Waluigi and two of those have already been essentially deconfirmed. This leaves Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario vying to be the last of the newcomers to the Mario universe. I don't believe in slots, but I do believe that Sakurai would want to be careful of over-representing a series. I'd say, of those two potential Mario newcomers, Paper Mario is slightly ahead at this stage.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'd say if we're talking Mario, Mario (Not any of the subsidiaries) then I'd say fairly unlikely. The most requested are Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Toad and Waluigi and two of those have already been essentially deconfirmed. This leaves Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario vying to be the last of the newcomers to the Mario universe. I don't believe in slots, but I do believe that Sakurai would want to be careful of over-representing a series. I'd say, of those two potential Mario newcomers, Paper Mario is slightly ahead at this stage.
Of course, there is the chance Paper Mario is counted as a separate game series.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
What's the chances well get another Mario Rep?
Assuming Paper Mario isn't a whole entity, it's the same chance that he has because he's the most likely with a possible tease so [quite likely].

Assuming whole entity however, [very unlikely]. Bowser jr is probably the only last one remaining with chances and the problem is that I saw him to have a good chance if Paper Mario wasn't there, but now, he would got teased and I interpret that as an indirect bad sign for jr.

Basically, it depends on 2 thing:

1 Was the stage reveal a tease? If yes, then
2 Is Paper Mario a whole entity? If no, then

There's your another Mario rep. I don't see any other possibility at this moment unless it wasn't a tease and jr was chosen playable, but honestly, I don't want to tell his support thread this even tough I feel kinda sad to not warn them, it's going quite bad for him.

Hey guys, the Rate Their Chances thread is rating the likelihood of The Theater appearing as a stage in the upcoming Smash game, as well as how much they want it. Be sure to stop by and leave a nice rating.
I rated the stage. If you want, please, talk about the hidden WiiU stage reveal theory, because anyone so far don't consider it. A WiiU stage relies on this theory and so far, it makes sense. The theater is a logical choice for WiiU stage, but I don't expect anyone to consider this theory.

Really, I just found another evidence suggesting a tease itself. Remember when Sakurai said "Paper Mario" not in character context? It's series context and it's clearly implied. But, from what perspective?

That's when it's unclear. If I say the Pokemon league is "a Pokemon stage", I could either be talking in smash context OR, in general context. Because Greninja is already confirmed, it's very likely to be the former, because we know who it reps now. Here, what perspective is it? I can't tell: is it from a general context OR, is it implying that Paper Mario is a whole entity? If it's the latter, that's a hidden tease because it's not clear. Remember, he Literally JUST said "Here's a Paper Mario stage!". That's so quick it's like he didn't tell everything.

Should I add this evidence to the OP?

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
To be honest, I think Paper Mario would get a shot this time around. We finally got a stage from the franchise, so I'm happy with that, and if we do get another Mario Character, why not Paper?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, as I tough about it, I'm becoming too obsessed with that tease theory. I realised that it would imply another thing and if I view what it would imply from the whole picture, I can't help, but think it's too good to be true, or we got the best case scenario possible.

I will do a recap, but I want that supporters try to devil advocate this so it's recommended to read if you want him, but are sceptical about his chances. So far, nothing is wrong, but believing this might sounds too crazy for me because hyping for this is quite dangerous. I just seek more confidence because I don't talk about it enough when it's quite big honestly for what it would imply.

<Begin>

So, I will just regroup some facts that I will use for reference:
  • Getting a stage from this series was unexpected and even the time of the reveal wasn't. It's because it never got further than trophies which is the lowest level of repping.
  • The date is EXACTLY a week after TTYD 10th anniversary in Japan. I want to put the attention on the 10th because those are the most significant.
  • On the first picture, we see a location from Sticker Star which is considered to be the least appreciated game and even the most hated. It's very important to note that the stage is on 3DS.
  • The first caption has 2 sentences, but the first is the only one interesting as the second is only info about the stage.
  • The second picture is a location from TTYD and it's the same 3DS stage as the first one.
  • The second caption is mostly info about the stage, but it's worth mentioning that he mentioned the full name of TTYD in the caption.
  • As of this post, it's been 2 weeks without any news on the series since that reveal.
  • When the POTD was released, I watched a lot of reactions in this thread and I can summarize it by saying that a lot of people had the feeling that Sakurai was playing with their emotions by hinting at Paper Mario to be playable and getting a stage in the first place.
  • The first picture had a little complain about being from Sticker star, but it overall was positive.
  • The second picture got a lot of intense reactions and basically, full of hype.
  • The same day, the most used counterargument against Paper Mario was "the stage is a mario stage and so, doesn't hint at Paper Mario being playable".
  • In the long run, it created some speculation material.
  • As a reminder, the series is mostly known to have been memorable on the first 3 games and all of them were release on home consoles while the remaining, Sticker Star, is the only one released on handheld.
  • The general opinion says that TTYD is the most appreciated game in the series followed closely by PM64 and a little far behind by SPM while Sticker star is really far behind it.
  • Pokemon league and Prism Tower comes from the same game even tough they are on different versions.
  • Sakurai has been known to tease before with several cases and some are still under speculation.
  • Every newcomer trailer showcased WiiU stages only except the Pac Man one which is the only trailer to have showed a 3ds stage (but it could have been explained with the s flag being the tease so there was no need to reveal a stage before since it would be a dead giveaway).
Those facts are really important to be considered from now on. I will from now on assume that you know about them and not fully reexplain them, but may add details if needed.

Let's start by the trigger: the first caption.

The first sentence is "For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros series, here's a Paper Mario stage!".

The trigger would be "here's a Paper Mario stage!". "Paper Mario" was mandatory to be mentioned for the character or series. He couldn't have possibly avoided to mention this so, it didn't name him. Because of how it talks about the stage being identified by this mention, it clearly is because he used this as a series context. The problem is the perspective since it's double meaning. He could have talked about the stage origins generally (in which case it means nothing significant for him and doesn't suggest any teases) or, he could have talked about a smash specific context as if the series was a smash one (in which case, he's playable with his series being a whole entity and would suggest teasing).

The statement is really unclear and there's no way to tell a verdict, but the words he said just before are fishy.

He combined "For the first time ever", an introduction to capt interest, with "in the Super Smash Bros series", a previously and obviously implied fact. It's already known by everyone that any reveals in POTD has to do with the smash series so there's no reasons to mention it. It's only valid because of the hype statement just before since he wants to put a big emphasis on the next statement which is the reveals. He wanted to give the impression that it was really big and he really wants that we would be aware of seeing such an info for the first time ever.

It sounds like he's hyping too much a stage for this occasion. It;s subjective, but it might be because there's more and we should be excited to stay tuned to hear more. This would imply a tease to get people excited along with the double meaning and unusually qick way to reveal the stage. "here's a Paper Mario stage!" is not something I call clear, but more ambiguous and too short as if he doesn't want to tell everything. Those observations combined would be a starting point for a tease that would just follow what Sakurai did for other teases.

In fact, it's exactly what happened when it got revealed. Most people implied it was just repping the Mario series, but this can't be proven so it's technically false to be sure. Supporters like myself on the other hand found some circumstances that leads more towards the opposite interpretation if you consider them and analyse the situation. This of course did created speculations for the last 2 weeks (even though it wasn't a popular topic, it spread enough to have more people being aware of it). This would be what a tease should do in the end along with making a specific group of people (in his case, Paper Mario fans) react. It's exactly what it did when people claimed that Sakurai "played with emotions".

That's the tease itself, but now, there's circumstances that makes the smash specific context more likely. If it was only for the first picture, it would be very different as those circumstances wouldn't be there. The second picture had the purpose of being the hidden key to solve this tease like the references in the boxing ring was for Little Mac case.

The biggest changes the second picture made was a TTYD stage, but on 3ds even if TTYD was released on home console. It doesn't mean it can't be on WiiU as Pokemon x/y got one stage for each version so it could happen again here. Even if it's a generic stage, it won't obsolete ideas like the theater because this one would be added for another purpose. It also doesn't mean it's unlikely because of the reputation of the series.

And that's why it's likely to get a WiiU stage due to this picture. By repping TTYD on 3ds, it shows that Sakurai had the intention of repping broader than just Sticker Star which is the only game released on handheld. By putting a TTYD segment on 3ds, it makes not seeing a WiiU one very unlikely. The series is reputed to be memorable on their consoles games and since Sakurai is open to rep this series in a broad way, it wouldn't "feel natural" to not have any console stage depicting any console games. Even tough it's subjective, with how much detailed this game is, I don't think this would be ignored for design consistency. Having 2 stages already make Paper Mario likely to be playable since I don't see a stage for each version and not him being playable as "consistent". But in this case, why Sakurai didn't revealed the most anticipated stage version before?

It could have been like what happened to Greninja where the stage revealed for the teasing was a 3ds one and the one revealed for trailer setup was a WiiU one. It would make a perfect trailer setup as we only see WiiU stage in those so using the 3ds stage as teasing and hiding the WiiU one was the logical choice for setting up the tease. I personally don't see any reasons to hide what would be the most anticipated stage of the 2 while revealing the least anticipated one (it wasn't even that much expected to get a 3ds stage and most hoped for a WiiU one). That's why I think he hide the stage for trailer setup suggesting the tease theory.

This logic would never be possible without the second picture as the first shows only the only handheld game. The first picture in itself could as well be a rainbow road case where it would only rep the most recent handheld installment and so, any WiiU stage wouldn't be a necessity.

But if I look at how this picture came, it suggests that it was made to be a hidden key to solve the tease. The reveal was exactly a week after the 10th anniversary of the most appreciated game of the series, the same game mentioned while Sticker Star wasn't and finally, the only game to have elements from it on the picture. And of course, it was made to be a huge reaction on the fans. Those observations happening all at the same time is too convenient to be a coincidence considering it was the key to the tease. So, the picture reveal itself was made to be analysed to get the tease.

If I go back to the tease trigger, the most likely interpretation based on those circumstances is that he was referencing the stage as a smash specific context.

This means that the Paper Mario series would be a separate entity, being the series of Paper Mario as playable character, would have 2 stages (one for each version) as rep and would have several music as rep (only 2 on 3ds and several on WiiU).

2 weeks after, we still didn't receive any further info related to the Paper Mario series in smash in any repping department. This seems like enough wait for a reveal in the next direct along with the stage since those would need to be revealed before release...

<End>

So, you get that if I'm right, we would get so much that I'm not sure if it sounds realistic. It just seems to be too good to be true, but I don't have any reasons now to not expect this to happens as so far, it makes the most sense.

That's why I want that you try to devil advocate and attempt to break this theory. I want that you have the intent of proving me wrong when you would read this.

I just want more assurance, or getting my hope for this tease crushed if it's flawed. Remember that like every teases, it's subjective, but confidence varies and I want to know if it's solid enough to claim [very likely] on the character thread (I will update my roster soon).

So, do you have anything to say?

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Ok, as I tough about it, I'm becoming too obsessed with that tease theory. I realised that it would imply another thing and if I view what it would imply from the whole picture, I can't help, but think it's too good to be true, or we got the best case scenario possible.

I will do a recap, but I want that supporters try to devil advocate this so it's recommended to read if you want him, but are sceptical about his chances. So far, nothing is wrong, but believing this might sounds too crazy for me because hyping for this is quite dangerous. I just seek more confidence because I don't talk about it enough when it's quite big honestly for what it would imply.

<Begin>

So, I will just regroup some facts that I will use for reference:
  • Getting a stage from this series was unexpected and even the time of the reveal wasn't. It's because it never got further than trophies which is the lowest level of repping.
  • The date is EXACTLY a week after TTYD 10th anniversary in Japan. I want to put the attention on the 10th because those are the most significant.
  • On the first picture, we see a location from Sticker Star which is considered to be the least appreciated game and even the most hated. It's very important to note that the stage is on 3DS.
  • The first caption has 2 sentences, but the first is the only one interesting as the second is only info about the stage.
  • The second picture is a location from TTYD and it's the same 3DS stage as the first one.
  • The second caption is mostly info about the stage, but it's worth mentioning that he mentioned the full name of TTYD in the caption.
  • As of this post, it's been 2 weeks without any news on the series since that reveal.
  • When the POTD was released, I watched a lot of reactions in this thread and I can summarize it by saying that a lot of people had the feeling that Sakurai was playing with their emotions by hinting at Paper Mario to be playable and getting a stage in the first place.
  • The first picture had a little complain about being from Sticker star, but it overall was positive.
  • The second picture got a lot of intense reactions and basically, full of hype.
  • The same day, the most used counterargument against Paper Mario was "the stage is a mario stage and so, doesn't hint at Paper Mario being playable".
  • In the long run, it created some speculation material.
  • As a reminder, the series is mostly known to have been memorable on the first 3 games and all of them were release on home consoles while the remaining, Sticker Star, is the only one released on handheld.
  • The general opinion says that TTYD is the most appreciated game in the series followed closely by PM64 and a little far behind by SPM while Sticker star is really far behind it.
  • Pokemon league and Prism Tower comes from the same game even tough they are on different versions.
  • Sakurai has been known to tease before with several cases and some are still under speculation.
  • Every newcomer trailer showcased WiiU stages only except the Pac Man one which is the only trailer to have showed a 3ds stage (but it could have been explained with the s flag being the tease so there was no need to reveal a stage before since it would be a dead giveaway).
Those facts are really important to be considered from now on. I will from now on assume that you know about them and not fully reexplain them, but may add details if needed.

Let's start by the trigger: the first caption.

The first sentence is "For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros series, here's a Paper Mario stage!".

The trigger would be "here's a Paper Mario stage!". "Paper Mario" was mandatory to be mentioned for the character or series. He couldn't have possibly avoided to mention this so, it didn't name him. Because of how it talks about the stage being identified by this mention, it clearly is because he used this as a series context. The problem is the perspective since it's double meaning. He could have talked about the stage origins generally (in which case it means nothing significant for him and doesn't suggest any teases) or, he could have talked about a smash specific context as if the series was a smash one (in which case, he's playable with his series being a whole entity and would suggest teasing).

The statement is really unclear and there's no way to tell a verdict, but the words he said just before are fishy.

He combined "For the first time ever", an introduction to capt interest, with "in the Super Smash Bros series", a previously and obviously implied fact. It's already known by everyone that any reveals in POTD has to do with the smash series so there's no reasons to mention it. It's only valid because of the hype statement just before since he wants to put a big emphasis on the next statement which is the reveals. He wanted to give the impression that it was really big and he really wants that we would be aware of seeing such an info for the first time ever.

It sounds like he's hyping too much a stage for this occasion. It;s subjective, but it might be because there's more and we should be excited to stay tuned to hear more. This would imply a tease to get people excited along with the double meaning and unusually qick way to reveal the stage. "here's a Paper Mario stage!" is not something I call clear, but more ambiguous and too short as if he doesn't want to tell everything. Those observations combined would be a starting point for a tease that would just follow what Sakurai did for other teases.

In fact, it's exactly what happened when it got revealed. Most people implied it was just repping the Mario series, but this can't be proven so it's technically false to be sure. Supporters like myself on the other hand found some circumstances that leads more towards the opposite interpretation if you consider them and analyse the situation. This of course did created speculations for the last 2 weeks (even though it wasn't a popular topic, it spread enough to have more people being aware of it). This would be what a tease should do in the end along with making a specific group of people (in his case, Paper Mario fans) react. It's exactly what it did when people claimed that Sakurai "played with emotions".

That's the tease itself, but now, there's circumstances that makes the smash specific context more likely. If it was only for the first picture, it would be very different as those circumstances wouldn't be there. The second picture had the purpose of being the hidden key to solve this tease like the references in the boxing ring was for Little Mac case.

The biggest changes the second picture made was a TTYD stage, but on 3ds even if TTYD was released on home console. It doesn't mean it can't be on WiiU as Pokemon x/y got one stage for each version so it could happen again here. Even if it's a generic stage, it won't obsolete ideas like the theater because this one would be added for another purpose. It also doesn't mean it's unlikely because of the reputation of the series.

And that's why it's likely to get a WiiU stage due to this picture. By repping TTYD on 3ds, it shows that Sakurai had the intention of repping broader than just Sticker Star which is the only game released on handheld. By putting a TTYD segment on 3ds, it makes not seeing a WiiU one very unlikely. The series is reputed to be memorable on their consoles games and since Sakurai is open to rep this series in a broad way, it wouldn't "feel natural" to not have any console stage depicting any console games. Even tough it's subjective, with how much detailed this game is, I don't think this would be ignored for design consistency. Having 2 stages already make Paper Mario likely to be playable since I don't see a stage for each version and not him being playable as "consistent". But in this case, why Sakurai didn't revealed the most anticipated stage version before?

It could have been like what happened to Greninja where the stage revealed for the teasing was a 3ds one and the one revealed for trailer setup was a WiiU one. It would make a perfect trailer setup as we only see WiiU stage in those so using the 3ds stage as teasing and hiding the WiiU one was the logical choice for setting up the tease. I personally don't see any reasons to hide what would be the most anticipated stage of the 2 while revealing the least anticipated one (it wasn't even that much expected to get a 3ds stage and most hoped for a WiiU one). That's why I think he hide the stage for trailer setup suggesting the tease theory.

This logic would never be possible without the second picture as the first shows only the only handheld game. The first picture in itself could as well be a rainbow road case where it would only rep the most recent handheld installment and so, any WiiU stage wouldn't be a necessity.

But if I look at how this picture came, it suggests that it was made to be a hidden key to solve the tease. The reveal was exactly a week after the 10th anniversary of the most appreciated game of the series, the same game mentioned while Sticker Star wasn't and finally, the only game to have elements from it on the picture. And of course, it was made to be a huge reaction on the fans. Those observations happening all at the same time is too convenient to be a coincidence considering it was the key to the tease. So, the picture reveal itself was made to be analysed to get the tease.

If I go back to the tease trigger, the most likely interpretation based on those circumstances is that he was referencing the stage as a smash specific context.

This means that the Paper Mario series would be a separate entity, being the series of Paper Mario as playable character, would have 2 stages (one for each version) as rep and would have several music as rep (only 2 on 3ds and several on WiiU).

2 weeks after, we still didn't receive any further info related to the Paper Mario series in smash in any repping department. This seems like enough wait for a reveal in the next direct along with the stage since those would need to be revealed before release...

<End>

So, you get that if I'm right, we would get so much that I'm not sure if it sounds realistic. It just seems to be too good to be true, but I don't have any reasons now to not expect this to happens as so far, it makes the most sense.

That's why I want that you try to devil advocate and attempt to break this theory. I want that you have the intent of proving me wrong when you would read this.

I just want more assurance, or getting my hope for this tease crushed if it's flawed. Remember that like every teases, it's subjective, but confidence varies and I want to know if it's solid enough to claim [very likely] on the character thread (I will update my roster soon).

So, do you have anything to say?
If Paper Mario wasn't a character, we would only be getting one stage. It would have to be on the WiiU version, due to most of the series being on console, and having way too much music to fit into 2 songs, and it would look prettier, and we have too many Mario (not Paper Mario) stages on the 3DS. And the devil is our advocate.

Well, heading off to fight the Shadow Queen with 15 HP (Thanks to HP Plus). Already lost my lifeshrooms to the 2 midbosses before her, so wish me luck. (I'm obviously going back to get more. :p)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If Paper Mario wasn't a character, we would only be getting one stage. It would have to be on the WiiU version, due to most of the series being on console, and having way too much music to fit into 2 songs, and it would look prettier, and we have too many Mario (not Paper Mario) stages on the 3DS. And the devil is our advocate.

Well, heading off to fight the Shadow Queen with 15 HP (Thanks to HP Plus). Already lost my lifeshrooms to the 2 midbosses before her, so wish me luck. (I'm obviously going back to get more. :p)
Honestly, it might have been solid in itself, but there's still some problems that don't make it that much solid.

I talked about the 2 pokemon stages. The series in smash is mainly the main games. And they are all released on handheld so I still need to know why there would be a WiiU stage. Especially if that WiiU stage is from an handheld game. I wouldn't see any point to do this. It shows that it doesn't necessarily mean that the game has to be from a home console for it to work. Would it feel right to just have a 3ds stage in this case?

Because it technically will. It might have to do with the tradition of this series to always be on home console so the idea may have came from that.

And here's the biggest problem: what you said is not what he would NEED, but more of a MINIMUM. That's why I agree on one side, but considering the situation now, it so far doesn't matter and it still might be right with the tease.

The part about 3ds should actually not even matter considering that the tease is the series being a whole entity so, separate from Mario. It wouldn't even be over saturation anyway because there would be a purpose of repping the character no matter from what series he would be. Take the SMG stage, that's the home stage of Rosalina, a Mario character. There's already a WiiU stage from the main series so they could add 10 WiiU stages while smg would still be useful since it reps Rosalina. Because of the tease as whole entity, it makes the stage even more useful since it's not only a character rep, but a separate series rep.

Here's what I would agree for the rest: To be playable, he would need AT LEAST one stage to make more sense as home feel. ONE OF ALL stage he would have NEEDS to be on the WiiU version considering the reputation of the series. This would satisfy the quantity (and as we know, quality) of more than 2 music and it would feel right for the series.

Now, seeing this 3ds so stage so far would NOT satisfy those conditions. HOWEVER, it does NOT make them IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy. Because no one knows what Sakurai hides. He COULD have hidden a WiiU stage and so, we would gt 2 stages. There's no reasons to EXACTLY have ONE stage for him to be playable. There could be 2 stages while one is on WiiU.

It's now a circular argument because tease makes this happens likely.

That's what I would say. Good try at least. It actually makes this even more solid as he's sort of teasing what you said with the second picture. Again, if only the first existed, then you would be right and it would break apart any tease theory as we wouldn't have any reasons to believe that a WiiU stage is likely.

Circular arguments. Would you have any other things?

Btw, thanks for trying.

Shadow Queen with 15 HP? Well...good luck...because you would need pretty lucky multiple time on.

I just finished ch4 after a lot of optional stuff (it gives you more things). I don't really have any highlights except the crows in the trees conversation. We are in the Mother series level of 4th wall IRL context jokes. It's hilarious. One tree is talking about internet with fiber optic (100 meg was apparently considered big in 2004). Another is about environment and energy sources while another is about college admission. It's those texts that makes really hard to remind yourself that you're playing a game from a Mario sub series.

Now, I'll do more optional stuff like every intermissions. I already have 6 shines sprites with everyone, but Vivian upgraded so the remaining is Ms Mows (you can get her after ch 4). Ch 4 was a little hard because I wanted star points with sometime like 3 crazee dayzee (they are OK to kill if you abuse FP with good badges, but the lullaby is so annoying). I did beat with tattle the atomic boo (optional boss that gives you an exclusive badge). I still love stylish :)

I don't think shadow queen would be that much hard with how I get the most optional things possible since I remember a lot of stuff. Tough, final phase shall be interesting if I don't get a shine bingo on first turn (I swear, that's what happened lol). I do have lucky start tough.

We'll see.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Honestly, it might have been solid in itself, but there's still some problems that don't make it that much solid.

I talked about the 2 pokemon stages. The series in smash is mainly the main games. And they are all released on handheld so I still need to know why there would be a WiiU stage. Especially if that WiiU stage is from an handheld game. I wouldn't see any point to do this. It shows that it doesn't necessarily mean that the game has to be from a home console for it to work. Would it feel right to just have a 3ds stage in this case?

Because it technically will. It might have to do with the tradition of this series to always be on home console so the idea may have came from that.

And here's the biggest problem: what you said is not what he would NEED, but more of a MINIMUM. That's why I agree on one side, but considering the situation now, it so far doesn't matter and it still might be right with the tease.

The part about 3ds should actually not even matter considering that the tease is the series being a whole entity so, separate from Mario. It wouldn't even be over saturation anyway because there would be a purpose of repping the character no matter from what series he would be. Take the SMG stage, that's the home stage of Rosalina, a Mario character. There's already a WiiU stage from the main series so they could add 10 WiiU stages while smg would still be useful since it reps Rosalina. Because of the tease as whole entity, it makes the stage even more useful since it's not only a character rep, but a separate series rep.

Here's what I would agree for the rest: To be playable, he would need AT LEAST one stage to make more sense as home feel. ONE OF ALL stage he would have NEEDS to be on the WiiU version considering the reputation of the series. This would satisfy the quantity (and as we know, quality) of more than 2 music and it would feel right for the series.

Now, seeing this 3ds so stage so far would NOT satisfy those conditions. HOWEVER, it does NOT make them IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy. Because no one knows what Sakurai hides. He COULD have hidden a WiiU stage and so, we would gt 2 stages. There's no reasons to EXACTLY have ONE stage for him to be playable. There could be 2 stages while one is on WiiU.

It's now a circular argument because tease makes this happens likely.

That's what I would say. Good try at least. It actually makes this even more solid as he's sort of teasing what you said with the second picture. Again, if only the first existed, then you would be right and it would break apart any tease theory as we wouldn't have any reasons to believe that a WiiU stage is likely.

Circular arguments. Would you have any other things?

Btw, thanks for trying.

Shadow Queen with 15 HP? Well...good luck...because you would need pretty lucky multiple time on.

I just finished ch4 after a lot of optional stuff (it gives you more things). I don't really have any highlights except the crows in the trees conversation. We are in the Mother series level of 4th wall IRL context jokes. It's hilarious. One tree is talking about internet with fiber optic (100 meg was apparently considered big in 2004). Another is about environment and energy sources while another is about college admission. It's those texts that makes really hard to remind yourself that you're playing a game from a Mario sub series.

Now, I'll do more optional stuff like every intermissions. I already have 6 shines sprites with everyone, but Vivian upgraded so the remaining is Ms Mows (you can get her after ch 4). Ch 4 was a little hard because I wanted star points with sometime like 3 crazee dayzee (they are OK to kill if you abuse FP with good badges, but the lullaby is so annoying). I did beat with tattle the atomic boo (optional boss that gives you an exclusive badge). I still love stylish :)

I don't think shadow queen would be that much hard with how I get the most optional things possible since I remember a lot of stuff. Tough, final phase shall be interesting if I don't get a shine bingo on first turn (I swear, that's what happened lol). I do have lucky start tough.

We'll see.
Yeah, it's just getting to be so much for me that I can't quite think straight. I want him either confirmed or deconfirmed ASAP so I can finally having some breathing room. Embarrass Preferably the 18th or sooner, but whatever. I guess I will live.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm kinda hyped for the Paper Mario stage in 3DS now for two reasons

1. It has Flavio's ship
2. I'm going to Keelhaul Key on said ship in the morning.
Isn't coincidence that it's the EXACT same for me?

Lol, I really just finished optional stuff and did the intermission for ch5. So, I have every partner, but bobbery and I just have to talk to Flavio now.

That's weird...wonder if we'll finish the game at the same time :)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Isn't coincidence that it's the EXACT same for me?

Lol, I really just finished optional stuff and did the intermission for ch5. So, I have every partner, but bobbery and I just have to talk to Flavio now.

That's weird...wonder if we'll finish the game at the same time :)
Idk man, I'm still a bit behind. I'm still working on trouble center stuff, and I was gonna get to at least level 40 at the pit of 100 Trials, so you might beat me fair and square.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I don't even. I DON'T EVEN. I got triple shines on the second phase too. How. And the stage fog made her miss at least 8 times. I only used one lifeshroom and two whacka bumps. Is that even possible? Let it be known that I have beaten Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door by leveling up only BP without getting a single game over. All thanks to dumb luck everywhere I went. :facepalm: Back to the topic.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I beat the entire game with 5HP by going to the Fortune Teller.
Get on my level, brah.

Well, twas more like most of the game, but whatevz.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't even. I DON'T EVEN. I got triple shines on the second phase too. How. And the stage fog made her miss at least 8 times. I only used one lifeshroom and two whacka bumps. Is that even possible? Let it be known that I have beaten Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door by leveling up only BP without getting a single game over. All thanks to dumb luck everywhere I went. :facepalm: Back to the topic.

Did you had pretty lucky or better on?

Also lol that fog RNG. I think it's better than me :)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I remember playing TTYD years ago and absolutely loving it. It's probably in my top 5 games of all time. I only finished it once though, but I'm curious to know how much replayability there is in it. I'm guessing there's a lot with the different type of nuzlocke-esque runs you can do.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

Did you had pretty lucky or better on?

Also lol that fog RNG. I think it's better than me :)
I don't remember if I had Pretty Lucky on, but I know that Close Call made her miss a couple times. Also, I wasn't in nearly as much danger as you might think. I ended up having 6 life shrooms for her because I didn't know they gave you three before reaching her. I think that today I'm going to finish up the trouble center and start preparations for The Pit.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Have any of you guys noticed that the 3DS stages page on the official site doesn't mention the Paper Mario stage?!
:O What could it mean?!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
it only mentions like 5 of them it doesnt mean a thing
Actually, check what stages were showed here.

Because most of those are already confirmed tease material.

Not seeing the Paper Mario stage and pyrosphere is FOR NOW a good thing.

Also, it's been 15 day that we were teased. I don't think it will end until the direct at this point. It's at least enough for reveal. Yesterday, I think that they teunted us for such a direct which is why I think it's very soon. Maybe this week, but next week for sure if not.

I wonder if we'll reach 20 days which is next Monday.

Ok, that's it for tease talk, but now, let's bring back the infinite potential talk shall we?

So, it has been talked quite a bit, but I see different opinions about it and with more activity, I want to hear them:

Do you think they would somehow make his partners follow him in battle or just in background or not at all?

Because I just think that doing might be too much for aesthetic, but this game is so detailed that they might be crazy enough to do it.

Also, I tough of items ides: you know the jump badges that does a status effects and damage in TTYD? What about an item that you would wear temporarily that when is activated, you would shrink the foe you footstool? Or make him dizzy? It could be the icon of the badge appearing on the chest like the Franklin badge from Mother.

Do you have other ideas of badges implementation as items?

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Actually, check what stages were showed here.

Because most of those are already confirmed tease material.

Not seeing the Paper Mario stage and pyrosphere is FOR NOW a good thing.

Also, it's been 15 day that we were teased. I don't think it will end until the direct at this point. It's at least enough for reveal. Yesterday, I think that they teunted us for such a direct which is why I think it's very soon. Maybe this week, but next week for sure if not.

I wonder if we'll reach 20 days which is next Monday.

Ok, that's it for tease talk, but now, let's bring back the infinite potential talk shall we?

So, it has been talked quite a bit, but I see different opinions about it and with more activity, I want to hear them:

Do you think they would somehow make his partners follow him in battle or just in background or not at all?

Because I just think that doing might be too much for aesthetic, but this game is so detailed that they might be crazy enough to do it.

Also, I tough of items ides: you know the jump badges that does a status effects and damage in TTYD? What about an item that you would wear temporarily that when is activated, you would shrink the foe you footstool? Or make him dizzy? It could be the icon of the badge appearing on the chest like the Franklin badge from Mother.

Do you have other ideas of badges implementation as items?
Don't they have item powerups in Smash Run? I think that badges would make a perfect fit for that mode. You could shrink larger, hard to beat enemies (Shrink Stomp), or maybe increase your power substantially but make it so if you miss an attack you get punished for it (All or Nothing). It would be a nice fit.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Tattle Log Entry #4:
Meta-Knight:
You're fighting Kirby! Why's he wearing a mask? Oh wait, that's Meta-Knight! His defense is poor, but his attack and speed are above average. He's very quick with his sword and he can fly around the stage. I remember hearing how well he fought in Brawl, some even claimed that he was the best! Pfft, fanboys obviously.

I hear he has a flying ship called the Halberd. Flying or not, I bet Cortez's ship would take it down in no time!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Tattle Log Entry #4:
Meta-Knight:
You're fighting Kirby! Why's he wearing a mask? Oh wait, that's Meta-Knight! His defense is poor, but his attack and speed are above average. He's very quick with his sword and he can fly around the stage. I remember hearing how well he fought in Brawl, some even claimed that he was the best! Pfft, fanboys obviously.

I hear he has a flying ship called the Halberd. Flying or not, I bet Cortez's ship would take it down in no time!
:laugh:

I actually wonder if they would reference tier in any way. Salurai did acknowledge that there was some balance problems, but never named who exactly.

I don't know that much into competitive anyway, but just referencing that would be hilarious.

Actually, she honestly deserve a least a text reference. Because you could write a novel for just her dialogues, that's the kind of thing that deserve recognition (it probably took several hours to think of those texts).

Also, I said it earlier on the social thread, but the ship on the stage is heavily modified from the source material, but it still feels like it's that ship anyway. That's what impress me about stages: they are an adaptation for totally different purposes in mind and they still feel like in their original game that from a design perspective, they have almost nothing in common.

The blue line with stars has been lowered and the extra space is a row or two of green squares. The front wall is completely gone, but the 2 lowest part of the back wall is still present in the background. This means that it doesn't hide anything in sight, but the parts in the background gives a container feel anyway. Because there was more spaces on the left, they resized and added a window. What really surprise me is what they kept: the stars on the topmost part of the ship, the little grey and pink colors on the 3 sticks and basically everything. They changed the stairs for slopes and added 3 platform for stage convenience, but the platform are so well done that they don't even pops out. They are not supposed to be there, but if you never saw the ship in TTYD, you wouldn't even notice that they weren't there. That shows me how detailed stages can be.

The thing is, putting so much work into that stage may means more chances to have more. If this was made, it HAS to be for something worthy. You don't do stages like this for nothing, I mean it really was done for something that was worth this work.

Which is why I have good hopes for him and why I still think he's [pretty likelt].

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Well, just worked on a character selection screen for half the day. For those who can't see my sig... ↓↓↓
Really I just did it so I could see my main man "on paper". :awesome: Seriously though. Those things take a while to make.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Well, just worked on a character selection screen for half the day. For those who can't see my sig... ↓↓↓
Really I just did it so I could see my main man "on paper". :awesome: Seriously though. Those things take a while to make.
I hate to break it to you, but you forgot a few characters. Go add Isaac, then we'll talk.

Also, there is no way Paper Mario would take the first slot over Mario. I'd expect him to be after Bowser or Rosalina.

D

Deleted member

I support the flat guy, as long as he uses some aspects from Super Paper Mario since I like that one a lot, not as much as TTYD, but the Pixls would be really unique, just like the rest of his moves :chuckle:

Edit: Maybe Barry could be a unique shield aesthetically, flipping to 3D could be a spot dodge, and Thoreau could be a tether grab

Last edited by a moderator:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I hate to break it to you, but you forgot a few characters. Go add Isaac, then we'll talk.

Also, there is no way Paper Mario would take the first slot over Mario. I'd expect him to be after Bowser or Rosalina.
I will admit that Isaac has potential and is possible. I'd probably put him above Marshal or Layton for chances, but a those two characters are just my personal picks. Also why couldn't Paper Mario be in front? Luigi and Dr. Mario were before him in their debut games. It doesn't really matter to me though. :p

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If Paper Mario were to be added, I think he'd actually be in front of Mario just like Doc.
I like your roster, I would consider a Zelda newcomer.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, the tease will reach 19 days on Sunday and 20 if nothing is said next Monday.

It's becoming quite long for almost 3 weeks and I wonder if it'll reach a month which is so far the smallest gap between a previous hidden tease by stage revel and the corresponding reveal (Greninja). I just hope for any direct next week or it;ll be bad because my college class starts on the 25.

But today potd bring up something interesting. It's apparently an uprising mechanic implemented in smash run, but this mechanic felt like the badges from Paper Mario when I saw it. I found this similarity quite interesting.

Which makes me want badges implemented in some way... (customisation could be complicated, but possible items would be cool).

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
If Paper Mario were to be added, I think he'd actually be in front of Mario just like Doc.

I like your roster, I would consider a Zelda newcomer.
You know, a Zelda newcomer is basically needed at this point. We really haven't gotten a new Zelda rep since melee, unless you count Toon Link as a completely separate character from Young Link. Ghirahim kind of creeps me out, so I'd rather see Vaati or someone like that, but as long as he wouldn't be a clone of Sheik or something I suppose I'd be fine with it. The only character that I'm kinda against is Dixie Kong. 2 apes are enough, and if we get another DK rep (which I don't really think we need) it should at least be K. Rool, as clunky and strange as he would be.

And who would want Paper Mario? He'd be such a clone. Waste of a character slot IMO. :p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You know, a Zelda newcomer is basically needed at this point. We really haven't gotten a new Zelda rep since melee, unless you count Toon Link as a completely separate character from Young Link. Ghirahim kind of creeps me out, so I'd rather see Vaati or someone like that, but as long as he wouldn't be a clone of Sheik or something I suppose I'd be fine with it. The only character that I'm kinda against is Dixie Kong. 2 apes are enough, and if we get another DK rep (which I don't really think we need) it should at least be K. Rool, as clunky and strange as he would be.

And who would want Paper Mario? He'd be such a clone. Waste of a character slot IMO. :p
Just to tell in case you weren't aware: for character roster speculation, you should use the character thread just to be sure to avoid warning (just to be sure to not be off topic while the character thread is frequently discussing this sort of topic).

But I do see him more on rosters lately. Not that much of an increase, but it seems like just the stage was enough for some.

I can't stop thinking what would happen for him. I really am obsessed with this tease now that I just want a direct or anything. The reason for this is that I already tough a lot about my second most wanted: Ridley. I really think he's playable, but having him playable (which I'm quite confident in itself), and Paper Mario, my most wanted being too sounds very scary for the hype it would provide. Not to mention that tease being so promising if it turns out to be true (I want to remind you that not only it would implies playable, but a WiiU stage and a separate series).

There's an interview released today when Sakurai claimed that this game was a "miracle". He did the same before development for brawl so it means that he would have done so well for this game that he even impressed himself compared to brawl.

Having both playable and with the tease stuff really just seems too good to be true. What I'm wondering now is that when he said "miracle", does that implies what would seemingly be dreaming?

Because it might not sounds too good after all. There's a ton of interpretations possible for this sentence, but it does make me a little less sceptical about this tease. It shows that even tough it seems too good, it might just be the truth after all.

Also, I want so much stylish moves implemented as attacks especially aerials. There's even more moves than I tough like jump and whirls at the same time, backflip, horizontal pose with his belly being the hitboxe.

This makes me dream even more because I can't stop: What if partners could do those if they are going for switch in the taunt?

What if you could have a pummel being a power bounce when you have to press a before stomping AND being able to do stylish mid stomp just for the sake of looking cool?

What about events? What if one of them is G&W vs Paper Mario when you play as the former to unlock him if unlockable like beating ganondorf in melee in his event before doing the 1vs1 for unlocking him all done in the WiiU stage being the theater?

What if there was a feature via customisation for changing the sound effects of the hammer with the SFX badges that would be unlockable in smash run?

CAN HIS POTENTIAL EVEN ENDS???

No I'm serious that is probably why I think that the stage is Sakurai at least considered him. Sakurai repeated a lot of times what he wants for characters, but this is just too expensive to not know about especially when you give his series a stage. We'll maybe know if he's revealed in an interview or so, but honestly, I think that no matter what happens, we should just be happy with this.

I said that ALMOST all stages has at least one playable fighters specifically related to it. Some are clearly representing no one because there's another purpose (that's the case with pictochat for the DS system and hanenbrew for an interesting concept). But, I just noticed that if you remove those and maybe the gameboy stage, the rest has at the very least got considered to have one playable.

Balloon fight and Nintendog are known to have been considered (the former from melee and the latter was with the villager). This means that every stages announced so far with the exception of maybe the gameboy stage at least has been considered prior to have one playable.

Someone pointed this out that honestly, gives me hope. Maybe it wasn't obvious on first look, but I noticed that every time I looked at the screenshots, it felt "not like the other mario stages". You could maybe argue the same for rainbow road, but even then, only 3ds is repped on that stage and it's a spin off like Paper Mario while the Paper Mario one is repping home console too. If I look at the 3d land and nsmb2 stage, it almost feels like they have the same design. So much that it might even feel the same except that one has 3d and the other is mostly in 2d.

I don't get this feel on that stage and as I looked, it felt even more different. Even the first screenshot and that's because of unified bright colors and flat textures with clear delimitation. In other words, this stage is practically repping the whole design of the series and guess what? There's one element I noticed that shouldn't pops out if it was truly a mario stage...

Mario and Luigi themselves.

That really depends on how you see it, but I noticed that the design of mario match their stages (even rainbow road) as he was embedded in it while he pops out on the Paper Mario one. I mean I expect that Samus would pop out in the 3d land stage because of the mix of design that doesn't match. It's completely normal and I might even say that it's intended for smash in the first place as a cross over.

This stage however should match Mario if they didn't make any difference between him and his paper version.

If you don't get it, pick the current toon link design from this game and paste it on the boat stage in brawl: almost perfect match. Pick the link from brawl (Link in brawl is closer to his games than toon link) and it has some mismatch when he pops out because the graphics seems so out of there.

In other words, it fits more Paper Paper Mario then mario himself for the design choice. That's why "home stage" is a thing because not only it has to do with familiarity with said character, but also because of design.

As such, FD and battlefield are made to be universal match.

The best example is G&W. Seriously, expect FD and battlefield, he pops out so much that the only way he would not pop out is him being on the flatzone stage. No other stage fits him that well.

That's why one stage can change his chance for the better and with a possible tease attached, it looks so good.

Do you think it could help him being playable? Because I honestly wonder why Mario and Luigi turned out to be on both screenshot where I can clearly see the design difference (tough, the outline being absent kinda make this hard to see, but zoom in and you'll see).

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Just to tell in case you weren't aware: for character roster speculation, you should use the character thread just to be sure to avoid warning (just to be sure to not be off topic while the character thread is frequently discussing this sort of topic).

But I do see him more on rosters lately. Not that much of an increase, but it seems like just the stage was enough for some.

I can't stop thinking what would happen for him. I really am obsessed with this tease now that I just want a direct or anything. The reason for this is that I already tough a lot about my second most wanted: Ridley. I really think he's playable, but having him playable (which I'm quite confident in itself), and Paper Mario, my most wanted being too sounds very scary for the hype it would provide. Not to mention that tease being so promising if it turns out to be true (I want to remind you that not only it would implies playable, but a WiiU stage and a separate series).

There's an interview released today when Sakurai claimed that this game was a "miracle". He did the same before development for brawl so it means that he would have done so well for this game that he even impressed himself compared to brawl.

Having both playable and with the tease stuff really just seems too good to be true. What I'm wondering now is that when he said "miracle", does that implies what would seemingly be dreaming?

Because it might not sounds too good after all. There's a ton of interpretations possible for this sentence, but it does make me a little less sceptical about this tease. It shows that even tough it seems too good, it might just be the truth after all.

Also, I want so much stylish moves implemented as attacks especially aerials. There's even more moves than I tough like jump and whirls at the same time, backflip, horizontal pose with his belly being the hitboxe.

This makes me dream even more because I can't stop: What if partners could do those if they are going for switch in the taunt?

What if you could have a pummel being a power bounce when you have to press a before stomping AND being able to do stylish mid stomp just for the sake of looking cool?

What about events? What if one of them is G&W vs Paper Mario when you play as the former to unlock him if unlockable like beating ganondorf in melee in his event before doing the 1vs1 for unlocking him all done in the WiiU stage being the theater?

What if there was a feature via customisation for changing the sound effects of the hammer with the SFX badges that would be unlockable in smash run?

CAN HIS POTENTIAL EVEN ENDS???

No I'm serious that is probably why I think that the stage is Sakurai at least considered him. Sakurai repeated a lot of times what he wants for characters, but this is just too expensive to not know about especially when you give his series a stage. We'll maybe know if he's revealed in an interview or so, but honestly, I think that no matter what happens, we should just be happy with this.

I said that ALMOST all stages has at least one playable fighters specifically related to it. Some are clearly representing no one because there's another purpose (that's the case with pictochat for the DS system and hanenbrew for an interesting concept). But, I just noticed that if you remove those and maybe the gameboy stage, the rest has at the very least got considered to have one playable.

Balloon fight and Nintendog are known to have been considered (the former from melee and the latter was with the villager). This means that every stages announced so far with the exception of maybe the gameboy stage at least has been considered prior to have one playable.

Someone pointed this out that honestly, gives me hope. Maybe it wasn't obvious on first look, but I noticed that every time I looked at the screenshots, it felt "not like the other mario stages". You could maybe argue the same for rainbow road, but even then, only 3ds is repped on that stage and it's a spin off like Paper Mario while the Paper Mario one is repping home console too. If I look at the 3d land and nsmb2 stage, it almost feels like they have the same design. So much that it might even feel the same except that one has 3d and the other is mostly in 2d.

I don't get this feel on that stage and as I looked, it felt even more different. Even the first screenshot and that's because of unified bright colors and flat textures with clear delimitation. In other words, this stage is practically repping the whole design of the series and guess what? There's one element I noticed that shouldn't pops out if it was truly a mario stage...

Mario and Luigi themselves.

That really depends on how you see it, but I noticed that the design of mario match their stages (even rainbow road) as he was embedded in it while he pops out on the Paper Mario one. I mean I expect that Samus would pop out in the 3d land stage because of the mix of design that doesn't match. It's completely normal and I might even say that it's intended for smash in the first place as a cross over.

This stage however should match Mario if they didn't make any difference between him and his paper version.

If you don't get it, pick the current toon link design from this game and paste it on the boat stage in brawl: almost perfect match. Pick the link from brawl (Link in brawl is closer to his games than toon link) and it has some mismatch when he pops out because the graphics seems so out of there.

In other words, it fits more Paper Paper Mario then mario himself for the design choice. That's why "home stage" is a thing because not only it has to do with familiarity with said character, but also because of design.

As such, FD and battlefield are made to be universal match.

The best example is G&W. Seriously, expect FD and battlefield, he pops out so much that the only way he would not pop out is him being on the flatzone stage. No other stage fits him that well.

That's why one stage can change his chance for the better and with a possible tease attached, it looks so good.

Do you think it could help him being playable? Because I honestly wonder why Mario and Luigi turned out to be on both screenshot where I can clearly see the design difference (tough, the outline being absent kinda make this hard to see, but zoom in and you'll see).
Sorry, I'll get back to the topic now. For items, I think that the following would work well.
Sleepy Sheep: Puts all enemies to sleep like Peach's final smash, but doesn't last as long.
Thunder Rage: Attacks all opponents. Acts like Pikachu's thunder bolt, but is unavoidable.
Zap Tap: If touched by an enemy's physical attack, does equal damage=knockback to both of you. No effect on special attacks.
Mistake: A randomly spawning food item that, when eaten, instead of healing you it does 15% damage with no knockback.
Shooting Star: Similar to PK Starstorm, but somewhat weaker.
Even if they just use a couple of those I'd be cool with whatever they give us.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Sorry, I'll get back to the topic now. For items, I think that the following would work well.
Sleepy Sheep: Puts all enemies to sleep like Peach's final smash, but doesn't last as long.
Thunder Rage: Attacks all opponents. Acts like Pikachu's thunder bolt, but is unavoidable.
Zap Tap: If touched by an enemy's physical attack, does equal damage=knockback to both of you. No effect on special attacks.
Mistake: A randomly spawning food item that, when eaten, instead of healing you it does 15% damage with no knockback.
Shooting Star: Similar to PK Starstorm, but somewhat weaker.
Even if they just use a couple of those I'd be cool with whatever they give us.
Sorry for late reply (I'm moving tomorrow and this includes huge pacting).

Some ideas are quite interesting (anyone wants to see a bunch of sheep running on the stage?).

But I love the mistake. There's several troll items like this that I don't know why there is none for food.

goldeen, explosive capsule or boxes, poison mushroom and some assist.

This would be a good thing to see the mistake being the food troll item.

Zap tap should give the debug badge and trophy description should say "invalid item" :troll:

Fun fact: in TTYD, the zap tap icon is the dummy icon for errors. Like if there's an item without a known icon, it puts the zap tap as the icon. I think it was for debug.

There's some unused badges that was made to be op for easy debugging. One is a green hammer doing 10 damage to all enemies and another does a jump of 10 damage to only one enemy. But the most op one is a badge with a zap tap icon (so, no icon) and it does exactly like auto fight in earthbound: every action command including superguard and stylish moves is done automatically. Except for special moves, but if you power bounce, it goes infinetly and softlock.

invalid item is the same thing as zap tap, but for the description.

I mean it has a thunder IT HAS TO BE POWERFUL :troll:

Tough, I imagine a special mode when everyone is on zap tap...would be so crazy with all those shock :)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Moveset I made. Tried to use Stickers, Pixls, and Partners well, thoughts?

Paper Mario
A: Bow comes out to do Slap, 2% per hit
A>: Quick hammer swing, 7%
A^: Does a quick jump, 6%
A\/: Paper Mario Kicks Kooper/Koops a short distance (about bowser sized), 5%
SMASH>: Paper Mario summons a Scissor Sticker, does good damage but subpar knockback, 12% uncharged, 20% fully Charged
SMASH^: Paper Mario Summons Thudley who goes up and crashes down, great range and power, 13% uncharged, 19% Charged
SMASH\/: Paper Mario has Bobbery and Bombette come out on each side and explode, extremely powerful, but a tad hard to hit, 15% uncharged, 22% Charged
Dash A: Paper Mario does his spin from Paper Mario, 6%
Nair: Paper Mario summons Barry who creates a spiky shield for him, 7% Damage
Fair: Paper Mario Does a quick hammer swing with Cudge, 8%
Bair: Paper Mario has Sushi spray water behind him, 6%
Uair: Paper Mario has Lakelester throw a spiny above him, 9%
Dair: Paper Mario does a Power Bounce style ground pound ala Ultra Boots, 10%, will bounce him back up if it hits
Grab: Paper Mario has Thoreau Grab an opponent
Pummel: Paper Mario has Thoreau grasp tighter, 1% per hit
F Throw: Paper Mario has Fleep flip opponent into another dimension quickly and then sends them off, good kill move 9%
B Throw: Thoreau holds the opponent in front of a fan sticker and blows them away 6%
Up Throw: Mario has Watt Electrocute the enemy and sends them up 8%
Down Throw: Thoreau just slams the enemy into the ground and sends them forward 7%
(not doing customizations yet)
B: Bowling Ball Sticker: Paper Mario holds out a Bowling Ball Sticker and rolls it towards hits opponent, 7% per ball, balls have a slight bounce, max distance 3/4 Final Destination
Side B: Boomer: Paper Mario Summons Boomer, and has him fly forward in a straight line to detonate, can detonate early tho for mindgames, max distance 1/2 of Final Destination, explosion 8%
Up B: Parkarry: Parkarry Grabs Paper Mario and Flys him upward. If hit, Parkarry will Drop Paper Mario, Very Versetile Recovery However, can be cancelled with b, no damage
Down B: Veil: Vivian will drag Paper Mario on the ground for short invinsibility, can travel about 1/3 of Final Destination, cancels at Platform edges and cant work in the air, cant use for about 7 seconds after, No Damage
FINAL SMASH: Supernova: The Paper Mario Player must Mash A as fast as they can to deal massive damage. No Knockback, but extreme damage if sucsessful. Min 25% 1/2 Sucsessful 40% 3/4 Sucsessful 60% Max 80%
Taunts
Up Taunt: Has Tippi Fly around him.
Side Taunt: Wags his finger like after battles in Paper Mario
Down Taunt: Has Gombella come out with be book, nothing will happen normally, but on a Paper Mario stage, she will use tattle
Attributes
Dodge:Flips into Background quickly
Roll: turns into paper roll and moves away
Speed 7/10 Paper Mario is reasonably fast, but is no speed demon, a little on the floaty side
Power: 7/10 Paper Mario hits reasonably strong, and can combo well to an extent.
Weight: 1/10 Paper Mario is extremely frail, and can easily be KOed around 80% tops
Size 2/10: About the size of Pikachu
Recovery 7/10: While with Parkarry Paper Mario may be versatile for his recovery, getting hit in it will cost him dearly
Uniqueness: 9/10 By using Partners, Stickers, and Pixls, Paper Mario becomes a unique summon character who can hold his own in battle
Victory Screen 1: Looks at a treasure map and then looks at the screen
Victory Screen 2: Dusts off his overalls and looks at the screen
Victory Screen 3: Uses a Jelli Ultra after the battle to heal up
Defeat Screen: Sadly claps with a fatigued look

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Moveset I made. Tried to use Stickers, Pixls, and Partners well, thoughts?

Paper Mario
A: Bow comes out to do Slap, 2% per hit
A>: Quick hammer swing, 7%
A^: Does a quick jump, 6%
A\/: Paper Mario Kicks Kooper/Koops a short distance (about bowser sized), 5%
SMASH>: Paper Mario summons a Scissor Sticker, does good damage but subpar knockback, 12% uncharged, 20% fully Charged
SMASH^: Paper Mario Summons Thudley who goes up and crashes down, great range and power, 13% uncharged, 19% Charged
SMASH\/: Paper Mario has Bobbery and Bombette come out on each side and explode, extremely powerful, but a tad hard to hit, 15% uncharged, 22% Charged
Dash A: Paper Mario does his spin from Paper Mario, 6%
Nair: Paper Mario summons Barry who creates a spiky shield for him, 7% Damage
Fair: Paper Mario Does a quick hammer swing with Cudge, 8%
Bair: Paper Mario has Sushi spray water behind him, 6%
Uair: Paper Mario has Lakelester throw a spiny above him, 9%
Dair: Paper Mario does a Power Bounce style ground pound ala Ultra Boots, 10%, will bounce him back up if it hits
Grab: Paper Mario has Thoreau Grab an opponent
Pummel: Paper Mario has Thoreau grasp tighter, 1% per hit
F Throw: Paper Mario has Fleep flip opponent into another dimension quickly and then sends them off, good kill move 9%
B Throw: Thoreau holds the opponent in front of a fan sticker and blows them away 6%
Up Throw: Mario has Watt Electrocute the enemy and sends them up 8%
Down Throw: Thoreau just slams the enemy into the ground and sends them forward 7%
(not doing customizations yet)
B: Bowling Ball Sticker: Paper Mario holds out a Bowling Ball Sticker and rolls it towards hits opponent, 7% per ball, balls have a slight bounce, max distance 3/4 Final Destination
Side B: Boomer: Paper Mario Summons Boomer, and has him fly forward in a straight line to detonate, can detonate early tho for mindgames, max distance 1/2 of Final Destination, explosion 8%
Up B: Parkarry: Parkarry Grabs Paper Mario and Flys him upward. If hit, Parkarry will Drop Paper Mario, Very Versetile Recovery However, can be cancelled with b, no damage
Down B: Veil: Vivian will drag Paper Mario on the ground for short invinsibility, can travel about 1/3 of Final Destination, cancels at Platform edges and cant work in the air, cant use for about 7 seconds after, No Damage
FINAL SMASH: Supernova: The Paper Mario Player must Mash A as fast as they can to deal massive damage. No Knockback, but extreme damage if sucsessful. Min 25% 1/2 Sucsessful 40% 3/4 Sucsessful 60% Max 80%
Taunts
Up Taunt: Has Tippi Fly around him.
Side Taunt: Wags his finger like after battles in Paper Mario
Down Taunt: Has Gombella come out with be book, nothing will happen normally, but on a Paper Mario stage, she will use tattle
Attributes
Dodge:Flips into Background quickly
Roll: turns into paper roll and moves away
Speed 7/10 Paper Mario is reasonably fast, but is no speed demon, a little on the floaty side
Power: 7/10 Paper Mario hits reasonably strong, and can combo well to an extent.
Weight: 1/10 Paper Mario is extremely frail, and can easily be KOed around 80% tops
Size 2/10: About the size of Pikachu
Recovery 7/10: While with Parkarry Paper Mario may be versatile for his recovery, getting hit in it will cost him dearly
Uniqueness: 9/10 By using Partners, Stickers, and Pixls, Paper Mario becomes a unique summon character who can hold his own in battle
Victory Screen 1: Looks at a treasure map and then looks at the screen
Victory Screen 2: Dusts off his overalls and looks at the screen
Victory Screen 3: Uses a Jelli Ultra after the battle to heal up
Defeat Screen: Sadly claps with a fatigued look
Added to the OP and I love it!

I really like some of the partners move along with the scizor move as smash. The only thing I have to say is that there's a liitle lack of hammer moves. The jumps one are good rspecially the power bounce as dair. I'm okay to see power bounce as aerial and not ground pound (though, maybe it would have been better as down throw). But I didn't like the fair and I think it could be replaced by super hammer or even better, hammer throw. I would be fine to see a projectile in aerial, but cudge annoys me since it's ftilt and with how much possibilities he has, I would feel that his fair could be changed and maybe the down throw, but that's me being picky :)

Again, I love the partners idea especially of using both bomb omb partners in a smash while the one from spm is the detonable explosive. They don't feel the same and the down smash is very original in that regard. I like to see new ideas like these :)

I'm just wondering because you're not alone to use vivian to veil, why would I use a move to avoid being hit while I can sidestep? Just wondering because it doesn't seem that much useful for a special. Love the sensitive, but good recovery. It's a good representation of the move he use in pm64 since it's risky to loose a turn due to the luck, but you get rid of the enemy if succesful.

For short, great moveset and it deserves to be in the OP.

I can't keep up with the thread that much because of 3g limitations and getting wifi only next Monday. So, keep the replies, but I'm limited to load the thread for too much.

Here's an advice: save the first page of the thread as in html file so that if you don't have internet, but you want hype, just load the file even offline.

Reading my OP hypes me so much now with me playing TTYD XD

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Added to the OP and I love it!

I really like some of the partners move along with the scizor move as smash. The only thing I have to say is that there's a liitle lack of hammer moves. The jumps one are good rspecially the power bounce as dair. I'm okay to see power bounce as aerial and not ground pound (though, maybe it would have been better as down throw). But I didn't like the fair and I think it could be replaced by super hammer or even better, hammer throw. I would be fine to see a projectile in aerial, but cudge annoys me since it's ftilt and with how much possibilities he has, I would feel that his fair could be changed and maybe the down throw, but that's me being picky :)

Again, I love the partners idea especially of using both bomb omb partners in a smash while the one from spm is the detonable explosive. They don't feel the same and the down smash is very original in that regard. I like to see new ideas like these :)

I'm just wondering because you're not alone to use vivian to veil, why would I use a move to avoid being hit while I can sidestep? Just wondering because it doesn't seem that much useful for a special. Love the sensitive, but good recovery. It's a good representation of the move he use in pm64 since it's risky to loose a turn due to the luck, but you get rid of the enemy if succesful.

For short, great moveset and it deserves to be in the OP.

I can't keep up with the thread that much because of 3g limitations and getting wifi only next Monday. So, keep the replies, but I'm limited to load the thread for too much.

Here's an advice: save the first page of the thread as in html file so that if you don't have internet, but you want hype, just load the file even offline.

Reading my OP hypes me so much now with me playing TTYD XD
Thanks for putting it in the op! To adress the two issues you had, I put Cudge just to show more of SPM, but was considering a hammer throw. The down throw is me kinda being lazy, but yeah, a ground pound seems like a good idea.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Today was a pretty good day for me, because today I defeated the Shadow Queen for the first time ever, so you can probably tell right now that I REALLY want Paper Mario in Smash.

Top Bottom