• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
Hooray on over 100 supporters!
I just thought of a new taunt, by the way!
Paper Mario can use Piccolo, and the musical pixl can play the music she plays for Mario in Super Paper Mario.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hooray on over 100 supporters!
I just thought of a new taunt, by the way!
Paper Mario can use Piccolo, and the musical pixl can play the music she plays for Mario in Super Paper Mario.
Hmm, never thought about that but I like it!

I don't get why people think the stage hurts his chances. We don't know if there's a Wii U stage or not, and also, Wii Fit Trainer doesn't have a confirmed stage on the 3DS. The Mii's, I don't think, have a stage on the Wii U as of now. Unless you count Pilot Wings, however, I think it's represented as its own.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
So guys, any thoughts on what that model of Paper Mario might be? (The one that's Jell0's dp).

Sneaking suspicion it's an amiibo… but what game could it be for?
If it is an amiibo, it would probably work for Smash Bros as well as Paper Mario U.
I bet it'll work for Hyrule Warriors too, which is why he'll be announced in the direct tonight. :troll: Really though, it'll probably work for the first two.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So guys, any thoughts on what that model of Paper Mario might be? (The one that's Jell0's dp).

Sneaking suspicion it's an amiibo… but what game could it be for?
id have to see the original pic again but i think its something they just made as in an actual mario made of paper

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hmm, never thought about that but I like it!

I don't get why people think the stage hurts his chances. We don't know if there's a Wii U stage or not, and also, Wii Fit Trainer doesn't have a confirmed stage on the 3DS. The Mii's, I don't think, have a stage on the Wii U as of now. Unless you count Pilot Wings, however, I think it's represented as its own.
You have to use devil advocate so, forgive me for what I'll say in brackets:

[Because it is a general Paper Mario stage, the 3ds stage makes any WiiU stage unlikely because the repping will be too much. Therefore, it makes Paper Mario unlikely.]

I think you should have heard this^ already right?

That's why the tease only works here. Getting that repping TTYD on 3ds actually makes a WiiU stage very likely mostly has to do with the selected targeting which is probably most of Paper Mario fans.

In fact, getting sticker star only would have been REALLY bad. Because it could be rainbow road and no WiiU stage.

Here, he revealed repping on that one game that is really popular for the target and because most people in the target probably has memories of it, it makes them react unlike the others.

Seriously, someone needs to give me a possible explanation as to why this stage obsolete any WiiU stage especially in this context when you do not expect to see repping on the wrong system. Honestly, is that just "odd" to not even hear of the WiiU stage BEFORE the 3ds?

I don't think he choose TTYD because he felt like it, but to adapt his target to a very specific and quite small audience.

Ridley was a big audience so it has to be very strong and it did.

id have to see the original pic again but i think its something they just made as in an actual mario made of paper
That's why I don't really trust this pic.

I still wonder where it comes from, but because of the validity of this theory, I don't think we can tell anyway.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I need some Paper Mario filler content. I'm going to play some TTYD; which now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever fully beaten. Gotten far into the game, but never beaten. Is there any kind of run I should try? Maybe a BP only run?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Actually I did never reached level 99 in TTYD... I reached level 57... maybe I will start playing it again. TTYD and Melee are my only gamecube games...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I wonder about that mysterious picture...

Sakurai did a tweet that I think teased Charizard solo and Dark Pit, but yet, we saw 2 other Dark Pit teases which might means that this tweet is relevant despite being before the first trailer. Here's the tweet:

Yet, it might have been a hint towards amibo, but if it's the case, what exactly is this?

I don't know about you, but considering the focus, it seems to be a close up of something very small.

Because let's be honest, the posts was only to ask the fans what were their favourite Paper Mario game and this picture wasn't seen before. So, why even post A picture for just a question?

And even then, why even posting this one as it's clearly not something saw before? Normally, they do meme on Facebook with known pictures so, why they would post this one just Randomly?

It actually is fishy in itself, but considering the tease, it might be related.

I tough about the DIY theory, but it seems to have to focus on him and a big zoom. It tells me that it has to take a great focus difference to adjust which may means that it's small. Anyway, why doing this WITHOUT a purpose if it appears to be small? Because it is made that is true, but why?

EDIT: I found that if you look closely, you can see the surface of the material on him and this suggests HEAVY zoom.

Actually, here's something that I found weird:

Why it seems to NOT be stable to STAND, but the bottom is hidden?

I can go crazy, but you have to admit that to show a close up of an unknown entity, focus on it and not seeing the bottom is so fishy. Just, I don't know take the full shot? it would even be prettier anyway so why I can't see the bottom?

This was done on July 7, 3 weeks before the tease.

It's possible that it was an Amibo (because IRL context), but I don't have the proof and just might think it was related.

If it is an amibo, he would have to be playable.

What do you think? Was it a tease after all?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So, I wonder about that mysterious picture...

Sakurai did a tweet that I think teased Charizard solo and Dark Pit, but yet, we saw 2 other Dark Pit teases which might means that this tweet is relevant despite being before the first trailer. Here's the tweet:

Yet, it might have been a hint towards amibo, but if it's the case, what exactly is this?

I don't know about you, but considering the focus, it seems to be a close up of something very small.

Because let's be honest, the posts was only to ask the fans what were their favourite Paper Mario game and this picture wasn't seen before. So, why even post A picture for just a question?

And even then, why even posting this one as it's clearly not something saw before? Normally, they do meme on Facebook with known pictures so, why they would post this one just Randomly?

It actually is fishy in itself, but considering the tease, it might be related.

I tough about the DIY theory, but it seems to have to focus on him and a big zoom. It tells me that it has to take a great focus difference to adjust which may means that it's small. Anyway, why doing this WITHOUT a purpose if it appears to be small? Because it is made that is true, but why?

Actually, here's something that I found weird:

Why it seems to NOT be stable to STAND, but the bottom is hidden?

I can go crazy, but you have to admit that to show a close up of an unknown entity, focus on it and not seeing the bottom is so fishy. Just, I don't know take the full shot? it would even be prettier anyway so why I can't see the bottom?

This was done on July 7, 3 weeks before the tease.

It's possible that it was an Amibo (because IRL context), but I don't have the proof and just might think it was related.

If it is an amibo, he would have to be playable.

What do you think? Was it a tease after all?
I'm not sure about the Figmas.

But look closely at the Paper Mario shot. Look at the brim of his hat. You can actually see the red paper peeling away slightly from the black backing. That's a quality issue for it to be a figurine.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

But look closely at the Paper Mario shot. Look at the brim of his hat. You can actually see the red paper peeling away slightly from the black backing. That's a quality issue for it to be a figurine.
First, that tells you also that it's zoomed in.

And Second, then that's even more questionable to show it. Why it was shown?

Was it a work in progress?

(actually, the pyrosphere stage was changed during development, but I still wonder why you would show this peeling).

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace

Kinda disagree with you about the peeling thing. I think that it could just be to make him look like paper rather than just being an entirely flat figure.

I also disagree that just because he has an amiibo means he'll be in smash, it just means he'll be in an upcoming title. I think the figures are different depending on the game because if you watch the amiibo video closely, you can see the smash emblem on the base. EDIT: Which could be why the base isn't shown.

Just my opinion though, happy to see what you guys think.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Kinda disagree with you about the peeling thing. I think that it could just be to make him look like paper rather than just being an entirely flat figure.

I also disagree that just because he has an amiibo means he'll be in smash, it just means he'll be in an upcoming title. I think the figures are different depending on the game because if you watch the amiibo video closely, you can see the smash emblem on the base. EDIT: Which could be why the base isn't shown.

Just my opinion though, happy to see what you guys think.
Both cases are me getting overhype though.

I'm just conflicted. Why do have 100 questions on this?

Also, teasing and showing this 3 weeks ago makes this smash related a bit more likely than other game.

But, why can't we get both?

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Both cases are me getting overhype though.

I'm just conflicted. Why do have 100 questions on this?

Also, teasing and showing this 3 weeks ago makes this smash related a bit more likely than other game.

But, why can't we get both?
Not necessarily. Could just be a sneaky tease for a Paper Mario game that they don't want to announce until hype for Smash or other upcoming titles (don't know if there are any tbh) dies down.

Or it could just be his Smash amiibo.

Or it could just be a very nice origami model. Only Nintendo knows.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Not necessarily. Could just be a sneaky tease for a Paper Mario game that they don't want to announce until hype for Smash or other upcoming titles (don't know if there are any tbh) dies down.

Or it could just be his Smash amiibo.

Or it could just be a very nice origami model. Only Nintendo knows.
Hey, why not both the game announcement AND him getting confirmed?

I went too far didn't I?

It's just that the game cannot be released this year OR, it will release shortly after smash.

Remember that they said that smash would be the first game compatible with them while it releases in winter so I expect to release next year and if it's the case, that seems to be quite a long time for such teasing compared to 3 weeks.

It's just a feeling because I'm so unsure. What I question is the existence of it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
THANK YOU!!!!

Now I can finally stop caring for this and put my energy on the tease (which is reliable so far).

Commercial? Lol, I couldn't have got that because I don't care about that game (and who would to check that?).

Tough, I found myself stupid to not have gotten on google image for this (I bet you did right?).

So, case closed. That's a good thing actually.

Now, since it seems to have only few activities and me being busy on speculating, I may have to work more on images. I like to do those anyway (the Goombella image in the OP under tattle log was made by assembling the assets with the goal of being the closest of pixels perfect possible; took hours).

I may end this with a partner section if I have time. But I should actually talk more about him elsewhere because that tease took over.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm a supporter! I'm a supporter!
You were since a while already :)

I'm currently in the process of explaining my first roster on the character thread. I of course expect him so I will put him in and I'll do a full essay on the newcomers with hard reasons and that includes him, but I'll explain a lot more on his case because of the skepticism around.

Wish me luck, it may have more consideration or be mostly ignored (both doesn't matter, but hoping for the former).

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
Ohhhh haha i forgot. I couldn't remember if I ever officially became a supporter haha

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So if Super Paper Mario were to receive a stage, what would you all like to see?
I think this would make for a neat stage:

Not really my most wanted, but it would look cool.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So if Super Paper Mario were to receive a stage, what would you all like to see?

simply flipside/flopside where the stage reverses its layout at times

Staarih

Smash Master

Ohh, nice idea. I was thinking through of some of the locations in SPM, but nothing really stands out to me, they happen to be quite simple (but I sort of liked that haha!). Fracktail would definitely be a unique idea. However, if there's going to be a stage dedicated solely to Super Paper Mario, I'd reckon it would flip between 2D and 3D time to time, that was the main idea of the game after all.

Flying on Fracktail could actually work as a transformation for the 3DS Paper Mario stage too. Then we'd have the elements of land (the plains from Sticker Star), water (S.S. Flavion) and air (flying on Fracktail).

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'd like to see the platform where you fight Final Bowser in the first PM.

There would be lightning stiking the stage that if hit would increase size like a Super Shroom. It's activated by the green switch Bowser steps on in the game. It has a cooldown period so it won't be spammable.

Not only that, but there would be ungrabbable ledges because of the spinning spikes on the sides. Occasionally, the eyes on the platform will sparkle(no other effect)

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Sorry for the double post.

But I made this stage a verrrry long time ago. Like back in 2011. This may prove to be a decent stage. It signifies a lot about SPM if you think about it. The doors can react to passing by them, opening up and showing parts of the levels sometimes baddies will walk out the door.

Wandering citizens can pass by as well as main villans, etc.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I couldn't help myself, after hearing that my profile pic was from Sticker Star all along I felt the urge to change it to something a little more...Don Pianta-y. Also I changed my sig to quite possibly THE most suggestive piece of text in TTYD XD
All Hail Paper Mario TTYD!!!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Sorry for not responding, but I did my roster prediction post. I did a full essay on why I would expect the newcomers I choose and it had to do with teasing.

The one that took the longest part was Paper Mario as I found the theory not popular enough to warrant the need to be as informative as possible. Since it is the most detailed way to put it, I recommend to read it in this post (Warning, huge read and wall of text, beware).

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-character-discussion-thread.347464/page-1211#post-17235449

I recommend to just read it for the Paper Mario part. I told everything I had to.

Now, Replies!!!

I still haven't played spm despite knowing this is a trophy in brawl. From the image, it sounds neat and great. Spm should have great ideas like in TTYD.

I'd like to see the platform where you fight Final Bowser in the first PM.

There would be lightning stiking the stage that if hit would increase size like a Super Shroom. It's activated by the green switch Bowser steps on in the game. It has a cooldown period so it won't be spammable.

Not only that, but there would be ungrabbable ledges because of the spinning spikes on the sides. Occasionally, the eyes on the platform will sparkle(no other effect)
Seems to be an interesting final destination variant. Also, please I want king of the koopas as music there...

idea.

I couldn't help myself, after hearing that my profile pic was from Sticker Star all along I felt the urge to change it to something a little more...Don Pianta-y. Also I changed my sig to quite possibly THE most suggestive piece of text in TTYD XD
All Hail Paper Mario TTYD!!!
Yeah, the text is so good, even the action of reading is enjoyable because of the effects. Actually, to care about text enough to put effects in the font should tell you how much tough was put into it. There's so much hilarious lines especially in chapter 6.

Ah, I loved the text in TTYD...

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I have always felt that the most iconic location in the first game was Shy Guy's toybox. I mean, who else but Paper Mario goes to a toybox to save the world?

As such, I can imagine the stage sort of working like the Spirit Tracks one, but with Shy Guys' mischief replacing those evil blue trains.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I have way too many ideas for a paper Mario stage. I have Glitz Pit, but I dunno if that's gonna be in since we have "Madison Square Garden" from Punch Out.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm hoping to see the Crystal Palace and Shy Guy Toybox from the original, and Glitzville and the Puni Tree from TTYD.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd love Star Haven (or Star Way/Shooting Star Summit) to be featured as a stage (or a transformation of one) as well, it's such a beautiful area and we definitely need some night-time love haha!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Bow's Mansion would be neat. I could imagine the stage boss being Tubba Blubba who enters the mansion in search for some "food". He could appear after a minute and all the Boo's start to scramble to hide from Tubba Blubba. As he enters, he looks around and chases them around with some comical scenes in the background.

The stage isn't very iconic, but I decided to go with one of my favorite chapters and bosses from the first Paper Mario.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I have way too many ideas for a paper Mario stage. I have Glitz Pit, but I dunno if that's gonna be in since we have "Madison Square Garden" from Punch Out.
There's a reason that the word "infinite" is in the tittle and header of the OP in italic.

Which makes a WiiU stage even more likely in my eyes.

I'm hoping to see the Crystal Palace and Shy Guy Toybox from the original, and Glitzville and the Puni Tree from TTYD.
If puni tree, please, have Magnus von grapple as hazard.

There is a chance for the 3DS stage to be the same in the Wii U version?
I really doubt it from a general perspective. I guess it COULD happen, but I honestly think it's [pretty unlikely].

From my teasing theory perspective, no. There's no reason to hide the WiiU stage and use it for a trailer if it's the same. It won't be mind blowing so it could break my theory in that sense, but like I said generally, I found this super unlikely.

Also, this might make you happy:

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

Only 15$. I'll start playing after I finish TTYD (which I should be more active since I got new headphones).

Getting a confirmation would be hype after I beat spm :)

btw, those stage ideas are very good. If someone could make a developed idea, I may add it to the OP, but the theatre was my main one.

Also, Week In Review is seeking people to analyse stages which includes the Paper Mario one. If anyone is interested, you should pm venus about it (I don't think I'll have time and I already did an analysis with text only on this thread).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I suppose it's more or less agreed here that to further differentiate Paper Mario from regular Mario, that Paper Mario will use sound effects from his games as his voice instead?

I mean for example, his star KO could use his death cry in PM64 instead of Charles Martinet's scream.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I suppose it's more or less agreed here that to further differentiate Paper Mario from regular Mario, that Paper Mario will use sound effects from his games as his voice instead?

I mean for example, his star KO could use his death cry in PM64 instead of Charles Martinet's scream.
I...never tough of audio :)

I guess you could. I don't really have a problem with that since I'm sure there's enough material to make the full character sound effects based.

That and hearing power bounce sounds. I liked that one.

Top Bottom