• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Individual Character Polling: Source Gaming Edition (1800+ Votes!) RESULTS ARE HERE!

Click yes if you voted on all 5 parts of the Individual Character Poll!

• Total voters

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
That's a really solid idea actually.
Until the no count overtakes the yes count and 400 people suddenly decide they don't want a character they liked because 401 other people said they hated it. There are no no votes in the official ballot and rightly so! It's illogical to gauge how demanded a character is by subtracting the yes votes by the no votes.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I think it would have been easier if the poll vote numbers was set up like this...

NO -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3 YES

Then you can just add up all the numbers.
You can still add up all the numbers in the current thing

But you need to average since the individual poll is split to a few parts that is not required for one to fill all at once. They will have different max score.

Here's an idea though:

Take the top 30 or 50 (I'll try) in these polls, then do a final destination judgement on the 50 choices at once, so the poll can be slightly more fair without the possibility of not voting one poll or missing our a part.

Until the no count overtakes the yes count and 400 people suddenly decide they don't want a character they liked because 401 other people said they hated it. There are no no votes in the official ballot and rightly so! It's illogical to gauge how demanded a character is by subtracting the yes votes by the no votes.
Actually, these sayings are the reason why I made the positive only votes.

The thing is tho, this is more of a satisfaction score than the actual ballot "who you voted for" poll. So things may or may not apply.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I disagree that you can't gauge fan demand on no votes. If used properly, they can point out divisive characters, but people are using them to give their favorites an unfair advantage which ruins the whole thing. I think the only way to get a good idea on what characters are really wanted, is allow everyone to vote for 10-15 characters, to see who on average, is more beloved than not.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You can just look at the positives and see how the numbers fare. Or you can see how much people don't want/want a character.
It's why I love the individual character poll and the way it's done for this version.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You can just look at the positives and see how the numbers fare. Or you can see how much people don't want/want a character.
It's why I love the individual character poll and the way it's done for this version.
I've been doing it this way mostly. I combine the 4/5 votes, and anyone that has more than 50% of them I think should be considered serious threat. So far off the top of my head, the only characters that qualify are, Isaac, Inklings, Wolf, Ice Climbers, K.Rool, Snake, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Chib Robo, and Banjo Kazooie with Dixie Kong recently dropping out.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Either way, I still want to see what the bottom 10 are right now.

The top ones are always predictable. But who are the least liked characters? Now that's an interesting question.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord

K here's the visual rank changeeeeee

I've been doing it this way mostly. I combine the 4/5 votes, and anyone that has more than 50% of them I think should be considered serious threat. So far off the top of my head, the only characters that qualify are, Isaac, Inklings, Wolf, Ice Climbers, K.Rool, Snake, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Chib Robo, and Banjo Kazooie with Dixie Kong recently dropping out.
Gotchya covered:
upload_2015-9-17_3-54-0.png

Basically, the top 10. :L
Either way, I still want to see what the bottom 10 are right now.

The top ones are always predictable. But who are the least liked characters? Now that's an interesting question.
Can't help, unless I'm given access to the raw data, the current characters with high 1 concentration is like more than 80% of the whole character list :/

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

K here's the visual rank changeeeeee

Gotchya covered:
View attachment 73674
Basically, the top 10. :L

Can't help, unless I'm given access to the raw data, the current characters with high 1 concentration is like more than 80% of the whole character list :/
It's a shame it's that limited, but I think that if Sakurai was looking to this kind of poll to make a decision to please the most fans, then this would be the way to do it. Over 50% positivity makes it a safe choice, while indifferent votes can always be swayed with visualization later.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I disagree that you can't gauge fan demand on no votes. If used properly, they can point out divisive characters, but people are using them to give their favorites an unfair advantage which ruins the whole thing. I think the only way to get a good idea on what characters are really wanted, is allow everyone to vote for 10-15 characters, to see who, on average is more beloved than not.
Judging by the sheer number of 1s across the board (seems to be the most frequent negative option), people were using that score to pump their own favorites up by bringing down other characters. From the beginning, the "1" vote was essentially a second "5" vote in favor of their character, because they thought they were eliminating the "competition" in a way. If you implement a numbering system like what was discussed in the previous page, that attitude is more than likely going to continue and on a bigger scale. Basically, my concern is that these polls are being treated like a competition and not a survey of how someone actually feels about each individual character.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Judging by the sheer number of 1s across the board (seems to be the most frequent negative option), people were using that score to pump their own favorites up by bringing down other characters. From the beginning, the "1" vote was essentially a second "5" vote in favor of their character, because they thought they were eliminating the "competition" in a way. If you implement a numbering system like what was discussed in the previous page, that attitude is more than likely going to continue and on a bigger scale. Basically, my concern is that these polls are being treated like a competition and not a survey of how someone actually feels about each individual character.
This is true, and that's a shame. This is a perfect poll on paper, but will never be truly reliable in real life. People suck.

I still feel that if you give people a choice of 10-15 characters, you can get better results. Setting a minimum, so they can't just vote up 1 character could help too. This way, we can find out what characters are more liked on average, then when no votes are factored in, or when the poll is limited to 1 character.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well I hope to see a Master list eventually. I want to see how all the different character stack up, not just 30 of them.

Most specifically I want to see how Barbara compares with the other underdogs.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Okay, so apparently saying stuff are impossible doesn't stop me from trying to do it. May Ice Climbers be treated the same way from Sakurai
upload_2015-9-17_4-13-58.png

Timestamp: same as that of the latest result
Requirement: >70% 1 votes (Turns out being unpopular is hard!)

Actually, the bottom votes really boils down to what kind of obscure character BluePikmin wants to add. Also something interesting is that some of them shared the exact same score.

That would be an extreme amount of work for Logo12. :p
Can you please just let me haz the raw data already? :[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Okay, so apparently saying stuff are impossible doesn't stop me from trying to do it. May Ice Climbers be treated the same way from Sakurai
View attachment 73681

Actually, the bottom votes really boils down to what kind of obscure character BluePikmin wants to add. Also something interesting is that some of them shared the exact same score.

Actually kind of surprised to see Stanley the Bugman THAT low. Don't know why, just can't imagine people feeling that strongly about not wanting him in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
View attachment 73681

Email or PM PushDustIn about it see if you can see the data. He's the one in charge with Source Gaming.

View attachment 73681

Little surprised that Metal Mario and Jumpman aren't on the bottom (I mean, even lower than they already are). Don't know most of those either.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
As I looked for the results, I really have no idea who most of these are :/

See this is the reason why some characters are rated so low.
I get that most people wouldn't know most of these, but Stanley had a trophy in Melee at the very least. Thought that would work in his favor a little bit.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm guessing this is where you want me to share what I posted earlier. So I'll just straight up copy paste it into here. No quote box or anything so everyone can see the whole thing.

Okay guys, out of curiosity I've analyzed BluePikmin's poll again. Took a while to count it all up, analyze it, and decide to write this long post, so my data is actually a couple hours old, heh. I actually counted both total votes of "5" and the percentage of the character's total votes that were 5 votes. That way I could get a feel for who was leading in votes but also determine trends for those categories that had less total votes anyways. For instance, the part of the poll with characters from already repped franchises had 1608 votes when I analyzed it, whereas the third party category only had 1058 total votes. So although Krystal has more total votes than Banjo, we can see that Banjo is trending better than Krystal even with less total votes due to his percentage lead. Percentage allows you to extrapolate some while totals are just hard data regarding what's been voted. Make sense? Well, anyways, here's my data. Top 30s...

Total "5" Votes
1. King K. Rool --- 678 votes
2. Ice Climbers --- 619 votes
3. Wolf --- 612 votes
4. Inkling --- 607 votes
5. Isaac --- 555 votes
6. Snake --- 505 votes
7. Krystal --- 468 votes
8. Dixie Kong --- 433 votes
9. Banjo & Kazooie --- 431 votes
10. Bandana Dee --- 410 votes
11. (Impa) & (Bomberman) --- 400 votes (tied)
12. Shovel Knight --- 356 votes
13. Tetra --- 346 votes
14. Paper Mario --- 344 votes
15. (New Mii Class) & (Ridley) --- 330 votes (tied)
16. Chibi Robo --- 328 votes
17. Shantae --- 320 votes
18. Phoenix Wright --- 310 votes
19. Sceptile --- 305 votes
20. Waluigi --- 302 votes
21. Squirtle --- 296 votes
22. Professor Layton --- 293 votes
23. Simon Belmont --- 288 votes
24. (Wonder Red) & (Rayman) --- 287 votes (tied)
25. Ivysaur --- 277 votes
26. Black Shadow --- 267 votes
27. Hades --- 261 votes
28. Bayonetta --- 256 votes
29. Captain Toad --- 254 votes
30. (Classic Ganon) & (Takamaru) --- 248 votes (tied)

Percentage of "5" Votes
1. Ice Climbers --- 54.5%
2. Wolf --- 53.9%
3. Inkling --- 53.2%
4. Isaac --- 48.6%
5. Snake --- 47.7%
6. King K. Rool --- 42.2%
7. Banjo & Kazooie --- 40.7%
8. Bomberman --- 38.2%
9. Shovel Knight --- 33.6%
10. Shantae --- 30.2%
11. Phoenix Wright --- 29.3%
12. Krystal --- 29.1%
13. Ridley --- 29%
14. New Mii Class --- 28.9%
15. Chibi Robo --- 28.7%
16. Professor Layton --- 27.7%
17. Simon Belmont --- 27.2%
18. Rayman --- 27.1%
19. Dixie Kong --- 26.9%
20. Waluigi --- 26.6%
21. Squirtle --- 26.1%
22. Bandana Dee --- 25.5%
23. Wonder Red --- 25.1%
24. Impa --- 24.9%
25. Ivysaur --- 24.4%
26. Bayonetta --- 24.2%
27. Amaterasu --- 22.9%
28. Takamaru --- 21.8%
29. Tetra --- 21.5%
30. Paper Mario ---21.4%

At the time of my data gathering, the other two major catagories I haven't referenced yet - unrepped Nintendo franchises and "deconfirmed characters" - were both around 1140 total votes, so roughly a 100 more votes than the third party category but still nearly 500 less than the first category. This means that generally, the two categories with similar total votes around 1140, ended up not moving much relative to themselves between the total count and percentage. They did make up some pretty big ground on the first category, though the third party category made up even more signifcant ground from total to percentage. You might also say that the first category lost ground to the others in particular the third party category. For instance, King K. Rool was far and away the leader in 5 votes, but still had a smaller percentage of 5 votes compared to ICs and Wolf in spite of his 5 vote lead.

Now, I think the percentages allow us to extrapolate some, but not really too far. We can't assume that if Snake had 1608 people rate him like K. Rool did, that he'd have more total votes than K. Rool. I also think that the difference in total votes for each category is a result of some people only voting in the categories that mean anything to them. If they support Snake, they'll seek out the category with Snake in it to make sure he gets a five, for instance. Also, the generally high number of votes in the first category may indicate that more people are interested in characters in that category or it may mean that the first category is just the first one they see and some voters get weeded out with subsequent categories.... or both of course, which is the likely scenario.

So if you're wondering, "do the totals mean more or the percentages?", my personal feeling is that the totals are more indicative of total support. I think that both sets of data have something to offer though, only that the totals should be weighted more if we're to combine both sets of data. Not sure how that would happen. I already explained that the percentages allow some extrapolation and allow categories with different vote totals to be compared, but we can only predict so far like I referenced in the Snake comparison in the last paragraph. Also, the point that character supporters would seek out the category with their character in it supports the idea that the percentages may not convert to extrapolated totals. So although the first category has more votes than the third party category it could also point to there being just less fans of third party characters. The total votes have their own issues what with each category having a different number though. There's obviously some balance between the data sets, but I imagine there will always be fair sized margin of error, and that's just in analyzing what we have. Of course, there's a whole ballot of votes out there that this poll is struggling to make sense of. For all we know, there's 1000 more votes for Paper Mario out there, or maybe there's 10. The percentages don't tell us, only the trend so far. It's not my place to say, "This doesn't look right, there's no way Waluigi has more supporters than Rayman" or "There's no way that K. Rool has less support than the ICs even if the percent tells me he might"... so I'm not going to try and balance the data sets until it looks "right".

Oh, and thanks to @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 for making this poll and Source Gaming for letting him make it more easily available to character supporters everywhere! I know I just analyzed and talked about this poll like I own it, but I certainly do not. I only find it very interesting, even if really when you think about it, it may not be actually telling us much about the ballot. You got to work with what you can get when it comes to these things.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm guessing this is where you want me to share what I posted earlier. So I'll just straight up copy paste it into here. No quote box or anything so everyone can see the whole thing.

Okay guys, out of curiosity I've analyzed BluePikmin's poll again. Took a while to count it all up, analyze it, and decide to write this long post, so my data is actually a couple hours old, heh. I actually counted both total votes of "5" and the percentage of the character's total votes that were 5 votes. That way I could get a feel for who was leading in votes but also determine trends for those categories that had less total votes anyways. For instance, the part of the poll with characters from already repped franchises had 1608 votes when I analyzed it, whereas the third party category only had 1058 total votes. So although Krystal has more total votes than Banjo, we can see that Banjo is trending better than Krystal even with less total votes due to his percentage lead. Percentage allows you to extrapolate some while totals are just hard data regarding what's been voted. Make sense? Well, anyways, here's my data. Top 30s...

Total "5" Votes
1. King K. Rool --- 678 votes
2. Ice Climbers --- 619 votes
3. Wolf --- 612 votes
4. Inkling --- 607 votes
5. Isaac --- 555 votes
6. Snake --- 505 votes
7. Krystal --- 468 votes
8. Dixie Kong --- 433 votes
9. Banjo & Kazooie --- 431 votes
10. Bandana Dee --- 410 votes
11. (Impa) & (Bomberman) --- 400 votes (tied)
12. Shovel Knight --- 356 votes
13. Tetra --- 346 votes
14. Paper Mario --- 344 votes
15. (New Mii Class) & (Ridley) --- 330 votes (tied)
16. Chibi Robo --- 328 votes
17. Shantae --- 320 votes
18. Phoenix Wright --- 310 votes
19. Sceptile --- 305 votes
20. Waluigi --- 302 votes
21. Squirtle --- 296 votes
22. Professor Layton --- 293 votes
23. Simon Belmont --- 288 votes
24. (Wonder Red) & (Rayman) --- 287 votes (tied)
25. Ivysaur --- 277 votes
26. Black Shadow --- 267 votes
27. Hades --- 261 votes
28. Bayonetta --- 256 votes
29. Captain Toad --- 254 votes
30. (Classic Ganon) & (Takamaru) --- 248 votes (tied)

Percentage of "5" Votes
1. Ice Climbers --- 54.5%
2. Wolf --- 53.9%
3. Inkling --- 53.2%
4. Isaac --- 48.6%
5. Snake --- 47.7%
6. King K. Rool --- 42.2%
7. Banjo & Kazooie --- 40.7%
8. Bomberman --- 38.2%
9. Shovel Knight --- 33.6%
10. Shantae --- 30.2%
11. Phoenix Wright --- 29.3%
12. Krystal --- 29.1%
13. Ridley --- 29%
14. New Mii Class --- 28.9%
15. Chibi Robo --- 28.7%
16. Professor Layton --- 27.7%
17. Simon Belmont --- 27.2%
18. Rayman --- 27.1%
19. Dixie Kong --- 26.9%
20. Waluigi --- 26.6%
21. Squirtle --- 26.1%
22. Bandana Dee --- 25.5%
23. Wonder Red --- 25.1%
24. Impa --- 24.9%
25. Ivysaur --- 24.4%
26. Bayonetta --- 24.2%
27. Amaterasu --- 22.9%
28. Takamaru --- 21.8%
29. Tetra --- 21.5%
30. Paper Mario ---21.4%

At the time of my data gathering, the other two major catagories I haven't referenced yet - unrepped Nintendo franchises and "deconfirmed characters" - were both around 1140 total votes, so roughly a 100 more votes than the third party category but still nearly 500 less than the first category. This means that generally, the two categories with similar total votes around 1140, ended up not moving much relative to themselves between the total count and percentage. They did make up some pretty big ground on the first category, though the third party category made up even more signifcant ground from total to percentage. You might also say that the first category lost ground to the others in particular the third party category. For instance, King K. Rool was far and away the leader in 5 votes, but still had a smaller percentage of 5 votes compared to ICs and Wolf in spite of his 5 vote lead.

Now, I think the percentages allow us to extrapolate some, but not really too far. We can't assume that if Snake had 1608 people rate him like K. Rool did, that he'd have more total votes than K. Rool. I also think that the difference in total votes for each category is a result of some people only voting in the categories that mean anything to them. If they support Snake, they'll seek out the category with Snake in it to make sure he gets a five, for instance. Also, the generally high number of votes in the first category may indicate that more people are interested in characters in that category or it may mean that the first category is just the first one they see and some voters get weeded out with subsequent categories.... or both of course, which is the likely scenario.

So if you're wondering, "do the totals mean more or the percentages?", my personal feeling is that the totals are more indicative of total support. I think that both sets of data have something to offer though, only that the totals should be weighted more if we're to combine both sets of data. Not sure how that would happen. I already explained that the percentages allow some extrapolation and allow categories with different vote totals to be compared, but we can only predict so far like I referenced in the Snake comparison in the last paragraph. Also, the point that character supporters would seek out the category with their character in it supports the idea that the percentages may not convert to extrapolated totals. So although the first category has more votes than the third party category it could also point to there being just less fans of third party characters. The total votes have their own issues what with each category having a different number though. There's obviously some balance between the data sets, but I imagine there will always be fair sized margin of error, and that's just in analyzing what we have. Of course, there's a whole ballot of votes out there that this poll is struggling to make sense of. For all we know, there's 1000 more votes for Paper Mario out there, or maybe there's 10. The percentages don't tell us, only the trend so far. It's not my place to say, "This doesn't look right, there's no way Waluigi has more supporters than Rayman" or "There's no way that K. Rool has less support than the ICs even if the percent tells me he might"... so I'm not going to try and balance the data sets until it looks "right".

Oh, and thanks to @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 for making this poll and Source Gaming for letting him make it more easily available to character supporters everywhere! I know I just analyzed and talked about this poll like I own it, but I certainly do not. I only find it very interesting, even if really when you think about it, it may not be actually telling us much about the ballot. You got to work with what you can get when it comes to these things.
This reminds me a lot of the Skullgirl's character selection polls where you ranked your top 5. Instead of the popular no1 choices the winners where mildly popular characters that everyone put at no 2 or 3.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm just hyped the Ice Climbers are so well represented. To see them top 5 is a big deal to me, but to have the highest 5 vote percentage!? That's huge. It shows that a lot of people feel very strongly about wanting them back, and that's something I really didn't expect all too long ago. I thought people were "over" them, glad to see that's not the case.

Old School Tommy

Smash Cadet
Well can you show me where I stated that "only Smashboards members can partake in this poll."?
I didn't say you said this. I guess you wasn't paying attention, that's okay though. Forget it.

I haven't caught up with the Wolf debate, but did people seriously put 1 for Wolf and Krystal on 5 on purpose?
Now that's just face palm worthy. :facepalm:
I wouldn't be surprised if this happened vice versa. Face palm on both ends.

or maybe...

some people still think of Wolf as a "clone."

I voted 5 for both.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I didn't say you said this. I guess you wasn't paying attention, that's okay though. Forget it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened vice versa. Face palm on both ends.

or maybe...

some people still think of Wolf as a "clone."

I voted 5 for both.
It's pretty clear that after the tweet where the surge of Krystal 5 votes came in, a surge of Wolf 1 votes came in as well. I'm not sure what the reasoning for each votes were before that, but I think it's easy to assume the reasoning behind these.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
This reminds me a lot of the Skullgirl's character selection polls where you ranked your top 5. Instead of the popular no1 choices the winners where mildly popular characters that everyone put at no 2 or 3.
I only counted five votes or five vote percentages. To vote five is to vote the highest ranking of "want". I don't think mildly popular characters are on top. The most wanted characters are. If I wanted to bias the list towards mildly wanted characters, I'd have counted 4 and maybe even 3 votes and not differentiated them from the 5s in my data, but I didn't.

Maybe the implication is that most people who took this poll voted 5 on a character even if they just wanted them a little or didn't mind having them. Indications are that the opposite is true. While I don't think 5 votes are directly correlated to how these voters voted on the ballot, I think they still do well to gauge who people really want. People were pickier about who they gave fives. On the other hand, the 1 votes in this poll seemed to be voted for a lot of different reasons and aren't as strongly correlated to who people really don't want.

It's pretty clear that after the tweet where the surge of Krystal 5 votes came in, a surge of Wolf 1 votes came in as well. I'm not sure what the reasoning for each votes were before that, but I think it's easy to assume the reasoning behind these.
I think most of the votes that resulted from that tweet stayed on the first poll and didn't manage to get to the others. Besides, the tweeter, Jordan Sweeto, has expressed a desire to have Wolf too. Many of his followers may not even know that Wolf is considered competition either, heh.

Also, like @ Old School Tommy Old School Tommy I gave Wolf a five vote.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I only counted five votes or five vote percentages. To vote five is to vote the highest ranking of "want". I don't think mildly popular characters are on top. The most wanted characters are. If I wanted to bias the list towards mildly wanted characters, I'd have counted 4 and maybe even 3 votes and not differentiated them from the 5s in my data, but I didn't.

Maybe the implication is that most people who took this poll voted 5 on a character even if they just wanted them a little or didn't mind having them. Indications are that the opposite is true. While I don't think 5 votes are directly correlated to how these voters voted on the ballot, I think they still do well to gauge who people really want. People were pickier about who they gave fives. On the other hand, the 1 votes in this poll seemed to be voted for a lot of different reasons and aren't as strongly correlated to who people really don't want.

I think most of the votes that resulted from that tweet stayed on the first poll and didn't manage to get to the others. Besides, the tweeter, Jordan Sweeto, has expressed a desire to have Wolf too. Many of his followers may not even know that Wolf is considered competition either, heh.

Also, like @ Old School Tommy Old School Tommy I gave Wolf a five vote.
That's fine and all, but the numbers say something else. I paid a lot of attention to Wolf's numbers before the tweet, and his 4/5 votes averaged around 75%. After the tweet, those results dropped immediately 10% while his negative votes jumped dramatically, by far the most of any character I've kept an eye on. I too have voted 5 for Krystal AND Wolf, but there is something there. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I don't think so.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
My results. I'm only going to show the ones that got positive votes, because I don't want to do this all night. Sorry for the double post :/

*Bold and underlined indicates strong like

Fives:
Dixie Kong, King K.Rool, Sylux, Krystal, Lip, Sukapon, Chibi Robo, Isaac, Ray MK, Inkling, Wonder Red, Ridley, Tom Nook, Saki, Starfy, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Frogger, Goemon, Bomberman, Banjo and Kazooie, Conker, Commander Video, Quote, Rayman

Fours:
Captain syrup, Impa, Vaati, Sceptile, Rundas, Azura, Bandanna Dee, Magolor, Prince Fluff, K.K. Slider, Plasm Wraith, Elma, Fiora, Melia, Ayumi Tachibana, Diskun, Goku, Hakkun, Mini Kangaroo, Rhythm Girl, Doshin, Sami, Nintendoji, Zael, Ashley, Magnus, Meowth, Midna, Skull Kid, Viridi, Waluigi, Zoroark, Dillon, Arle Nadja, Bayonetta, Knuckles, Ristar, Vyse, Bravoman, Gilgamesh, Klonoa, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving, Wonder Momo, Morrigan Aensland, Strider Hiryu, Tron Bonne, Viewtiful Joe,
Agnes Oblige, Geno, Mallow, Neku, Jibanyan, Joanna Dark, Mumbo Jumbo, Gunvolt, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Crash Bandicoot, Camilla, Cap'n Cuddlefish, Earthworm Jim, Judd, Zero

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
That's fine and all, but the numbers say something else. I paid a lot of attention to Wolf's numbers before the tweet, and his 4/5 votes averaged around 75%. After the tweet, those results dropped immediately 10% while his negative votes jumped dramatically, by far the most of any character I've kept an eye on. I too have voted 5 for Krystal AND Wolf, but there is something there. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I don't think so.
I wasn't paying attention to Wolf's numbers after Krystal got the bump. If there's a record of this, I'd be interested in seeing it. As I recall, Krystal got about 80 extra votes the hours following the tweet. Wolf has a total of just over 100 1 votes. It's hard for me to believe that 80% of that came from Krystal voters assuming all these tweet responders down voted Wolf this low. I could see a spread of votes from 1 to 3 occurring but if you're specifically referring to 1 votes, my guess is this sudden increase in 1 votes isn't that significant really. Maybe suddenly 25 more or something, which would be notable in short period but still, we're talking about a character with huge appeal in the polls.

Also, the majority of Krystal supporters want Wolf too, at least here on Smashboards. It's not our style to do that to Wolf at least not that I've seen. And it's not Jordan's style either. There's no indication he requested it and many of his followers are casual enough to not care about anything else but making sure Krystal got the 5. If anything, I'd imagine most of them voted mostly 3s rather than bother with 1s. Who knows though. If there really were 1s coming out of that group, I'd check to see if characters that actually shared Krystal's category had down votes too in this time frame. I could much more easily believe that then the Wolf thing, which implies mass targeting by leaping to a whole other poll to vote there too. Like I said before, I think a good portion of Jordan's followers just voted on the poll with Krystal in it and didn't care to vote elsewhere. I'd like to see how total vote numbers changed in every category in the hours following that tweet. My guess is that there was many more votes in the first category in that time than there were in the other categories.

My results. I'm only going to show the ones that got positive votes, because I don't want to do this all night. Sorry for the double post :/

*Bold and underlined indicates strong like

Fives:
Dixie Kong, King K.Rool, Sylux, Krystal, Lip, Sukapon, Chibi Robo, Isaac, Ray MK, Inkling, Wonder Red, Ridley, Tom Nook, Saki, Starfy, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Frogger, Goemon, Bomberman, Banjo and Kazooie, Conker, Commander Video, Quote, Rayman

Fours:
Captain syrup, Impa, Vaati, Sceptile, Rundas, Azura, Bandanna Dee, Magolor, Prince Fluff, K.K. Slider, Plasm Wraith, Elma, Fiora, Melia, Ayumi Tachibana, Diskun, Goku, Hakkun, Mini Kangaroo, Rhythm Girl, Doshin, Sami, Nintendoji, Zael, Ashley, Magnus, Meowth, Midna, Skull Kid, Viridi, Waluigi, Zoroark, Dillon, Arle Nadja, Bayonetta, Knuckles, Ristar, Vyse, Bravoman, Gilgamesh, Klonoa, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving, Wonder Momo, Morrigan Aensland, Strider Hiryu, Tron Bonne, Viewtiful Joe,
Agnes Oblige, Geno, Mallow, Neku, Jibanyan, Joanna Dark, Mumbo Jumbo, Gunvolt, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Crash Bandicoot, Camilla, Cap'n Cuddlefish, Earthworm Jim, Judd, Zero
What is this referring to? I assume BluePikmin's poll naturally. Is this a list of characters that got four or five votes in the last few hours or something? I know the poll has slowed down and there's a number of characters here I know aren't necessarily popular.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I wasn't paying attention to Wolf's numbers after Krystal got the bump. If there's a record of this, I'd be interested in seeing it. As I recall, Krystal got about 80 extra votes in a couple hours. Wolf has a total of just over 100 1 votes. It's hard for me to believe that 80% of that came from Krystal voters assuming all these tweet responders down voted Wolf this low. I could see a spread of votes from 1 to 3 occurring but if you're specifically referring to 1 votes, my guess is this sudden increase in 1 votes isn't that significant really. Maybe suddenly 25 more or something, which would be notable in short period but still, we're talking about a character with huge appeal in the polls.

Also, the majority of Krystal supporters want Wolf too, at least here on Smashboards. It's not our style to do that to Wolf at least not that I've seen. And it's not Jordan's style either. There's no indication he requested it and many of his followers are casual enough to not care about anything else but making sure Krystal got the 5. If anything, I'd imagine most of them voted mostly 3s rather than bother with 1s. Who knows though. If there really were 1s coming out of that group, I'd check to see if characters that actually shared Krystal's category had down votes too in this time frame. I could much more easily believe that then the Wolf thing, which implies mass targeting by leaping to a whole other poll to vote there too. Like I said before, I think a good portion of Jordan's followers just voted on the poll with Krystal in it and didn't care to vote elsewhere. I'd like to see how total vote numbers changed in every category in the hours following that tweet. My guess is that there was many more votes in the first category in that time than there were in the other categories.

What is this referring to? I assume BluePikmin's poll naturally. Is this a list of characters that got four or five votes in the last few hours or something? I know the poll has slowed down and there's a number of characters here I know aren't necessarily popular.
Those 4/5 are my votes lol. Thought I'd share. Sorry if I worded it weird or something.

As for whatever records there are of the significant increase of 1 votes for Wolf after the tweet, the best I can say is look at Logo12's data before the tweet. Wolf easily had the highest percentage of 5's and the lowest of 1's. All changed significantly after the tweet.

I believe you when you say the guy who made the tweet didn't have this in mind, but I'm also sure he did attract the wrong people. I know the Krystal vs Wolf wars aren't big here on smashboards, but I've seen it elsewhere at full force, and it's not pretty. I'm still not sure what the hate is about exactly, but it for sure ends up in some intense flame wars.

I guess in reality, there's nothing to complain about. These people have the right to vote for whatever they want, and most of them seem to have chosen to praise Krystal and bury Wolf. That's fine... I guess, I just wish these weird flame wars would stay out of what is otherwise a really reliable poll.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Those 4/5 are my votes lol. Thought I'd share. Sorry if I worded it weird or something.

As for whatever records there are of the significant increase of 1 votes for Wolf after the tweet, the best I can say is look at Logo12's data before the tweet. Wolf easily had the highest percentage of 5's and the lowest of 1's. All changed significantly after the tweet.

I believe you when you say the guy who made the tweet didn't have this in mind, but I'm also sure he did attract the wrong people. I know the Krystal vs Wolf wars aren't big here on smashboards, but I've seen it elsewhere at full force, and it's not pretty. I'm still not sure what the hate is about exactly, but it for sure ends up in some intense flame wars.

I guess in reality, there's nothing to complain about. These people have the right to vote for whatever they want, and most of them seem to have chosen to praise Krystal and bury Wolf. That's fine... I guess, I just wish these weird flame wars would stay out of what is otherwise a really reliable poll.
Ah, okay... I think I understand. Kind of using your own scaling I guess since ICs get big bold underline which is like an 8 vote or something since it's basically "fiving" really hard, heh.

About the other thing, I guess I'll take your word for it. I've looked at some of Logo's data and I have a bit of a hard time interpreting it. Not sure what the numbers and arrows mean. They don't exactly seem to be related. I may need to study his data closer to see if I can make sense of what I'm seeing better.

Also, is this something he told you about the data or something you saw in his data? Logo is a Wolf fan but doesn't like Krystal much so he may have pointed this out in particular since it stood out to him even if other characters also had equivalent 1 votes at the same time. Something I am still curious about since, if a whole bunch of characters got 1 votes at the same time as Wolf, it may just be an indication of Jordan's followers 1 voting a bunch of stuff arbitrarily. Doesn't seem like something his group would do, but I find that a lot more likely than Wolf targeting, especially when Jordan's expressed his desire to have Wolf back too.

In any case, if Jordan's call attracted a number of people who would down vote Wolf, that would quite the surprise. However, it is possible that Jordan's become so well known as a Krystal supporter that he's attracted more than just his usual following. He may have his usual following and a group that now follows him mainly because they support Krystal too. If this is the case, there may be some negative Wolf votes coming from something like that. In terms of his main fanbase though, they're mostly just the casual types that are mainly invested in Krystal because Jordan is and have no strong feelings about Smash at all otherwise. So even if it is the case that he's got potential Wolf haters following him, I still would not expect a proportionally large set of 1 votes coming from him. I doubt Wolf haters in his following would be even close to outnumbering his main fanbase. So if Krystal could expect 100 5 votes from his following, I don't expect more than 30 1 votes coming from his group, even if he has a small portion of his following that would 1 vote Wolf in any proportion greater than any other character.

It's all speculative. I wish I knew for sure so I could put this to rest. I'd be pretty disappointed if Krystal fans really were responsible for down voting Wolf, though I can believe they're out there. I've seen some on Gamefaqs that support Krystal over Wolf because they're still hung up on him being a clone in their eyes, but most are Wolf haters that actually picked someone else on the ballot other than Krystal, but wouldn't mind her. Pretty much all the Krystal fans here on Smashboards still think of Krystal as the fourth rep. Most agree that Wolf should never have been cut. We recognize that Wolf's cut hurt us too... though there's that slim chance Sakurai would bring in Krystal in place of Wolf. Even in that eventuality, we still agree that would be a raw deal for Wolf. At this point there's so many reasons for him to be back already. I've thought on a few different occasions, "okay, now they're going to announce him" but then nothing. It just doesn't seem logical or prudent to leave him out. Few things would cause more of an uproar than Wolf getting the short end of the stick when Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo all got in.

But really, it shouldn't be a big deal. 1 votes were being handed out in mass quantities by tons of people. 1 votes mean nothing to the ballot. You can't "1 vote " on the ballot. That's why I did the "5 vote" list. A 1 vote may as well be a 3 vote. It's a shame if some Krystal voters did 1 vote Wolf, but I'd bet heavily even more 5 voted him. Most of the Krystal supporters I know would at least give him a 4. And pointing out one instance that may be coincidental does feel a bit like a shot at us. Sadly, it wouldn't be the first time Logo has seemingly, though somewhat tactfully, tried to get a rise out of us... which is kind of odd among Wolf supporters on Smashboards. We mostly get along just fine actually. I don't need to reiterate how much Wolf support actually comes from Krystal supporters too. But I think people didn't like how we got the boost from Jordan and some want to discredit that.

Anyways, phew. Sorry I can talk so much. My typing style is "thinking outloud", heh.

Logo12

Smash Lord
About the other thing, I guess I'll take your word for it. I've looked at some of Logo's data and I have a bit of a hard time interpreting it. Not sure what the numbers and arrows mean. They don't exactly seem to be related. I may need to study his data closer to see if I can make sense of what I'm seeing better.
The place trend...

Well I know I did it badly.

I made a more Visual representation tho, so disregard that ugly arrow version.

Also, is this something he told you about the data or something you saw in his data? Logo is a Wolf fan but doesn't like Krystal much so he may have pointed this out in particular since it stood out to him even if other characters also had equivalent 1 votes at the same time.
Dooon't look at me. I'm not the one who said that. Wolf did drop in the score (by around 0.12), somehow but I never decided that it is because of the Krystal tweet thing.

For the 5 votes thing tho, I'd like to point out...

Does 5 really means for the actual support?

First, this poll asks for more of a "Would you want X", than a "Do you support X". These are two different concepts. Since one can be, especially in Ice Climber case, "want the character to return, but don't really support it". This proves that the "want" factor isn't always intercepting with the "support" factor (You can say, the "support" factor is also affected by their "chances" or something).

Next, does supporting X really mean they would vote 5? Me for example, I support Wolf, Bandana Dee, Snake, etc etc. But in the end, I only voted 5 in Wolf. 4 on everything else I "support". Granted I don't really want anyone else if Wolf got in already, but I'm not the only one, to be sure. So the "support" factor doesn't necessarily intercept the "want" factor either.

It's not really like there's a flaw in your interpretation though. After all, what we get is just a table of numbers and what we're doing is to mess around the number in different approaches and get different results. We can never say this has anything much to mean really.

Regarding "there's no no vote" thing, as I've stated, that's the primary reason I decided including a "positive" version of the list -- only including the neutral-to-positive votes and vice versa for the negative one. Turns out as I've mentioned that the positive version is the only time Wolf will fall to the 2nd place. Or, to phrase it better, when Ice Climber rises up.

Granted that's... still not an accurate representation of the support, but... who knows. We're just having fun with the data.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
My boy Takamaru still putting up a fight in this. Yessssssss

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Gah, so many low votes on Henry Fleming and Balloon Fighter...

You all suck.

(Just kidding I love u)

(I'm not kidding, you all really do suck)

Top Bottom