• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Bowser's Defense - an essay by gimpyfish

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
no powerhouse moves which have more knockback then other average knockback chars. unless you count his f smash :p

this is one reason why bowser isnt teh higher in tiers. if he had such powerful airs like teh ganon he would be oh so hoT :p.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the fact is, he doesn't have those things, so its irrelevant ;)

bowser is cool enough w/o them... i mean who doesn't want bowser throwing hammers at foes? but its jsut not int he game, so meh, who cares really..

boozer is too cute.

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Wow that was incredibly random.
Agreed, nonetheless. He does pwn in Mario Baseball ^^

I was playing bowser in a giant melee coin match with items on very high recently. (Don't ask why)
Needless to sya, he didn't do to well. Who would have guessed Bowser has a weakness?

Mudassir

Smash Cadet
I agree with you that bowser is alot better than most people think (that he is utter and total garbage). He is only slightly worse than the characters above him in the tier list, but I think even you would admit that Bowser is still in the bottom 4 worst characters.

You failed to mention Bowser's two main advantages:
1)No one is used to playing against bowser. There just aren't that many decent bowser players around for people to learn Bowser's strengths (and how to avoid them) and his weaknesses (and how to punish them)
2)They severely underestimate Bowser. They don't think Bowser stands a chance in a serious match up so they don't play completely seriously. They also think that if someone picks Bowser they are obviously a noob so even more reason not to have to try. What they don't realize is that Bowser is not actually THAT much worse and this catches them off guard.

(However these things also works against him. Once someone is used to Bowser, they know what combos work and how to get past his tricks, they will make life for Bowser extremely difficult. Also since no one takes Bowser seriously its very hard to find people who will take you seriously enough for long enough to train properly)

I could write a very detailed Bowser guide, but its very hard to get good w/ him and I'd rather have people avoid the headache and just stick to a character with an easier learning curve and potential. Anyway your "essay" has been bothering me for too long so here goes.

First off let me say that bowser is NOT slow, he is laggy, there is a HUGE difference. most all of bowsers moves (that you will be using) are fast...
Bowser IS slow. And laggy. Most of his (ground) attacks are slow and and his maneuvaribility is bad. His forward and back aerials, though pretty good in speed, have lots of lag. You go through all bowser's attacks but fail to mention the most important aspect, his movement (and for good reason I guess)! Bowser's spot dodge is horrible. It lasts almost twice as long as most other characters and he is hit-able for a greater percentage of it (2nd smallest percentage of invincibility frames). His body is so huge that even if you dodge a projectile you can still can get hit by it as you are coming out of the dodge! Now this in and of itself isn't so bad if it weren't for the fact that his rolls are also the worst(shortest average distance in the game and least percentage invincibility frames) AND his wavedash is super slow due to him having the longest jumping animation in the game(9 frames, almost twice as long as most characters in the game). While its true that Bowser's running speed is average, anyone who's run speed is slower has either a super fast wavedash, good projectiles, an aerial game better than Bowser's, or a combination of the above. Also it is extremely difficult to powershield projectiles with Bowser because his shield does not extend beyond his head/shell much. This means that anyone with a projectile (most characters in the game) has a serious advantage. Anyway all this adds up to the fact that every character can play defensively or use projectiles against bowser and just wait for him to attack and/or react to their movements and then punish Bowser. Even if he was "NOT slow" as you claim, do you think that being super laggy is something that can be easily overcome? Playing against a defensive player means you HAVE to make the first move which the opponent can avoid and counter attack pretty easily because of all the lag bowser has on everything.

there is no defense he cannot beat
Bowser is not any better at getting past defensive maneuvers than any other character in the game. I'd say he is worse because of his bad maneuvarability and lack of a good projectile. However, if you are talking about using the aerial grab, this mainly works as a surprise factor since people generally are not used to playing against bowser. If you play someone who is expecting it then its SLOWNESS and laginess can both be easiy punished. If you are talking about using
the flame on spot dodgers...
Again it is only good for the surprise factor and once someone is expecting it you will be punished bad for doing it. Even IF you get them in the fire, more than half the time they can either roll out or DI out and hit you before your lag is over. The fire damage is horrible unless you play against someone who sucks at DI or is cornered.

he also comes complete with combo breakers both in the air and on the ground to keep him safe
Combo breaker"S"? he only has one combo breaker and thats his up+b. His neutral air hits on the 8th fram and is almost 2x slower than almost everyone else's (mostly 3-5 frames till the hitbox comes). Using the up+b in the air as a combo breaker will also leave you very open to a second assault since it lasts so long.

he has high priority, invincibility frames on many attacks (mostly 'shell'
attacks) hes quick, albiet laggy
High priority? Do you know how priority works in this game? It is how much your hitbox extends beyonds your "self hurt" box (but really they are spheres not boxes). Bowser has relatively bad priority on his moves except the fair, uair, uptilt,and dsmash. Invicibility on "many" attacks? he has invincibility on only 2 moves: the up+b and the up smash. The up smash has 2 invincibility frames and they are very hard to use since its in the middle of the animation and its hard to time. When an opponent is coming from above you, this move is very risky to use because if they double jump/dodge right before you hit them, you will get punished. The rest of the frames of hitting on the upsmash has HORRIBLE priority, the hitbox actually lags behind your self hurt box unlike almost every other move in the game where the hitbox extends beyound where you can get hurt. You WILL get hit if you don't hit with the invincibility frames and they are attacking.

Tilts
anyone who has faced a bowser has a fear of the knuckle.
the ftilt is one of hte best edgeguarding tools there is
his ftilt is surprising because of its overwhelming range power and speed
No one fears the knuckle, at least they shouldn't. At 12 frames for the first hit, this "tilt" comes out as slow as most characters SMASH attacks(some characters actually have faster smashes than his f-tilt!), and guess what? Its not strong compared to them. Yes it is stronger than most f-tilts but most tilts come out twice to three times as fast! The fact that most f-tilts are fast, have good range, and have little knock back is what makes them good for combos and cheap kills over the edge. The range of bowser's f-tilt is not that much better considering bowser's overall worse maneuvarbility.

Bowser's tilts also come out fast, his utilt comes out as fast as his jab, which is just as fast as everyone elses jab.
Half true. U-tilt hits on frame 7 (which is about average and which is why the u-tilt is one of his better moves) and his jab comes out on 7. However this is no where near most characters jab speed. More than half the characters in the game have a jab speed of 2-3 frames making his 2-3 times slower! His jab speed is only faster than m2's and zelda's who have MUCH better range than his (he does not extend his hand that far beyond his big head). The time it takes to hit with the 2 jab combo is ever slower (9 frames) which is almost 3 times as slow as most other peoples 2nd jab hit (not including the fact that their first hit came out faster). Did I mention that his jab is slower than most character's TILTS? His jab sucks so please don't mention it.

bowser's bread and butter, as everyone knows, is his fair. HUGE range, HUGE knockback, great damage, VERY fast, low lag. (yes i said low)
Low lag? Not exactly sure what you mean by that but when it is l-cancelled it has
the MOST landing frames of any fair in the game(tied w/ dk's). Though its not too much worse than the average you still don't want to miss the l-cancel. Nevertheless I agree that this is one of his better moves.

Bowser can do two FULL JUMPS off the stage, fair somebody, and still return.
What is the point of saying this? Most characters can do this and/or
they don't need to to kill people.

Bowser's bair ... while not fast compared to his fair, it is still plenty quick.
The B-air is only 1 frame slower than the fair.

some people complain about the lag, an l cancelled bair doesn't have very much
lag, perhaps compared to a few moves it could be called 'laggy' but other
characters deal with this kind of lag all the time and they get off fine, as does
bowser
L-canceled doesn't have very much lag? 17 frames of lag when l-canceled is "not very much"? And because it last so freaking long after the hit stops you pretty much have to l-cancel every time you do it unlike other characters laggy aerials. Of course Link's dair is laggier but it is also a move w/ much better priority. Anyway bair is one of bowser's good moves so I don't want to make it seem like it sucks.

Bowsers nair is faster than his fair
and has very little lag
They both start hitting on the same frame actually, frame 8. It has the most
landing lag of all neutral airs in the game. L-canceled it has 2 frames less lag
then the bair....

to be honest, the speed of said smash attacks shouldn't be an issue, as you will simply NOT be throwing these moves about randomly waiting to be punished for them.
Yes they are an issue. The fact that they come out so slow means that you can't use them as often. Its like saying the warlock punch is good but you have to make sure you hit with it...

all of said smashes have invincibilty frames, ridiculous priority
Of the three smashes only the upsmash has invincibility frames. Other than that its priority is bad as I mentioned earlier.

the usmash's priority simply cannot be beatten from above. it will not be hit through if timed right by ANY arial. link's dair = NO PROBLEM for a bowser thats expecting it.
I would like to see a video of you doing that in a real match please. And also include the hundred and one times you get hit trying to do it.

fsmash is a disjointed hitbox with great range
In no sense of the word does the fsmash have a "disjointed" hitbox. The hitbox barely even goes past his head. And the horizontal range on it is pathetic for a forward smash. Sure it hits pretty much completely in front of him vertically, but most characters can aim their smashes to get nearly the same effect (plus they have much more horizontal range).

NO other character has the ability to grab an opponent from teh air.
As was mentioned by other people in this thread already other characters can grab from the air too. Falcon, Gdorf, Yoshi, and kirby all have air "grabs". If you're gonna argue about the semantics and say kirby's suck is not a grab, that is pretty ridiculous. Imagine someone saying "No other character than g&w has a credit card in the air!!!".

example. your bowser, your fighting a falco, you get an fthrow off the edge to him at 30%. he is dead. (against a good bowser of coruse) NO exceptions PERIOD
Wow bowser can kill falco at low percentages once he's off the stage, but who CAN'T?

bowser's up b ... is the 2nd fastest move in the game next to a shine at only 4 frames
There are many moves in the game that come out in 4 frames or less(jabs mostly). But since you are invincible in the first few frames before the attack, in essence it hits on the first frame (you are not invincible on the first attack frame). Just thought I'd point that out :)

bowser's up b...has an INITIAL RANGE that is larger than the hitbox for link's upb IIRC
Actually its closer to HALF the size of link's up+b.

Overall, Bowser's moves may be powerful but they are not proportionately strong for their slowness and laginess. If move A is 2x as slow as move B, how much knockback/damage should it have? You might say it should be 2x as much but you would be wrong. The longer windup a move has, the less oportunities you have to use it AND you simultaneously give your opponent more time to react to the move. Damage/knockback should be *exponentially* linked with windup but this is not the case with Bowser. It is also why the warlock punch is useless. Since it has so much windup, it should pretty much kill at 0% but it doesn't. (Actually I think that with that much lag if it took off 2 stocks w/ 1 punch that would be more fair but thats not really possible is it? :))
Also having lots of moves that do double damage is alot worse than have 2x as fast moves w/ half the damage for 3 reasons:
1)The way this game works priority, weak attacks will clank strong attacks (if they dont outright hit first)
2)You can hit with fast attacks exponentially more often than you can hit with slow attacks
3)Strong attacks will have good knockback but eliminate the chance of combos. Weak attacks do worse damage by themselves but can be combo'ed to do MUCH more damage than any strong attack by itself and usually those combos can end with a strong attack to have good knockback.
Bowser's moves don't have just too little damage/knockback for their slowness, they also ironically have too much knockback(ie its nearly impossible to combo with him)!

Bowser's standing grab is the 5th slowest in the game to actually start grabbing (after the likes of samus and link) and also the 5th laggiest... but also the 4th shortest range! Sometimes the game comes down to a grab battle and bowser with his bad grab and even worse spot dodge will almost always lose. And the worst part is his throws do not set up for combos/kills anywhere near as good as most other characters. Sure you can play mind games with his throws but this will only work for so long before your opponent realizes the proper way to tech/di. As you mentioned though his dash grab is good.

He also is very heavy, making him able to survive for surprising amounts of
time.
Bowser's size makes him super easy to combo (as you mention at the end of the essay). Also, he's pretty easy to chain grab which is devastating in the right hands. The fact that he weighs the most really doesn't help him too much because even though he will last to higher damage percentages, its just easier to get him up there (you're heavy so when you get hit you don't go as far away, so its easier to combo you plus he's a bigger target). Also sometimes its not necessary to get him to high percentages to KO him because his recovery is very bad against people who are familiar with it. His B+up has the worst vertical recovery in the game and its path is very predictable making you very susceptible to spikes/meteors/projectiles(as you mentioned). Basically any (weak) move that hits even a little downward or just plain horizontally will decimate his recovery (espescially if the opponents is proficient at edgehogging, which ain't that hard to do). If Bowser does make it back to the ledge his rolls are too long and easily punished by those who know its limits. Also his jump from the ledge is useless except on yoshi's story. When at 100 damage or more (which isn't too hard to get Bowser to) Bowser starts to have even more trouble (Granted everyone starts to have more trouble over 100 damage but not as much as Bowser does).

And yes I know bowser's strengths, I won't deny that he has some and I agree with alot of what you said. I don't want this thing to come off as me hating bowser, afterall I don't just main Bowser... he is the only character I use. I just felt that you were doing a dis-service to the general smash boards reader by giving out so much false information and giving such a biased atittude of him. So think of this as me trying to present an overall more balanced view of Bowser.

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, that was like, the biggest post in the history of the world... Well aside from announcements and FAQs and such.

Most of your "counters" were just correcting Gimpy on frame timing. "Oh no not 10 frames, 14 frames!" It's not like 4 frames changes the point he is making. Anyways I'd like to get into move detailed counter countering but I'm tired and probably going to pass out soon.

*Tags gimpyfish*

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
"No one fears the knuckle, at least they shouldn't. At 12 frames for the first hit, this "tilt" comes out as slow as most characters SMASH attacks(some characters actually have faster smashes than his f-tilt!), and guess what? Its not strong compared to them. Yes it is stronger than most f-tilts but most tilts come out twice to three times as fast! The fact that most f-tilts are fast, have good range, and have little knock back is what makes them good for combos and cheap kills over the edge. The range of bowser's f-tilt is not that much better considering bowser's overall worse maneuvarbility."

im gonna eat you..... its one of bowser's better moves.... edge gaurding..... where the **** are you.

on a side note id say the only thing which keeps bowser from being one of the heavier chars is the fact that he isnt a fast faller..... wtf .... how can such a heavy turtle not be a fast faller.

Mudassir

Smash Cadet
HoChiMinhTrail said:
im gonna eat you..... its one of bowser's better moves.... edge gaurding..... where the **** are you.

on a side note id say the only thing which keeps bowser from being one of the heavier chars is the fact that he isnt a fast faller..... wtf .... how can such a heavy turtle not be a fast faller.
Do you "fear" most people's smash attacks? No you expect it as an edgeguard and in fact bowser's ftilt is weaker than most f-smashes

I also get confused on how the programmers decided who would be fast fallers. Fox and falco, 2 of the light weights fall so fast. A bird is the fastest faller in this game??

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
lol mud is pissed, you know i was just making a point, most of his moves DO have high priority, sure not compared to jiggz or something but saying his smashes dont have high priority is ridiculous lol

bowser is slwo compared to the FAST characters such as CF and fox sure, but he can definitely approach characters fast, a lot of your points were just you whining about how 'other characters can do that too' and all that... i'm not saying bowser is the best, i'm not even saying hes good, i just said hes not horrible, keep that in mind.

also a lot of the times you said 'he has bad *insert something here* in all his moves EXCEPT' well notice how those are his good moves, and the other ones not so much...

for somebody who likes bowser you want to bring an aweful lot of bowser hatin in here ;)

anyways, keep in mind i am NOT SAYING BOWSER IS A GOOD CHARACTER, this was defending his position of WORST CHARACTER!

so what you need to be doin is instead of comparing bowser to top/upper/high tier compare him to the other bottom/low/mid tier characters kthx ;)

oh btw

wtf @ "in fact bowser's ftilt is weaker than most f-smashes" uhh... its an ftilt... the fact that you didn't say 'weaker than ALL' means something significant...
bowsers ftilt OWNS. period.

EDIT:

also a lot of your complaints were just problems with my diction, get over it.

MagnuM

Smash Ace
Well Mudassir, you sure have done your research. However, you only seemed to focus on the negative here. Although you stated that you know Bowser's strengths, we'd like to know what you think they are, in pretty much an exhaustive list such as the one you made pointing out the drawbacks. Make sure you list edgeguarding as one of them.

I agree with your stance on how moves that are 2x as laggy should be exponentially more powerful, or else the move would be useless. Warlock Punch is a perfect example of this in 1 on 1 play. With all the lag and disadvantages given to Bowser, I just can't understand where the programmers or developers gave his counter-balancing strengths? His moves only seem to dish out a few extra %age and the knockback is not substantially further. His attack range often barely goes outside his body such as Tap A for instance. I have come to the only fathomable conclusion that HAL/Nintendo hates Bowser :(. Not only did they not give him his own level (Bowser's Castle, which has been in pretty much every Mario game), they also made him suck on purpose! Come on, how could the game testers overlook the obviously disadvantaged Bowser in 1 on 1 play? Bowser, normally a huge, strong brute, is regarded as a wimp or a pushover in this game and can almost be considered a laughing stock; especially being so far down the tier list with characters like Pichu! Mewtwo got screwed over too! They also took out Bowser's Flame Cancel in version 1.2, but left it in for Kirby if he were to steal Bowser's powers! So much Bowser hatin :(

However, despite all of Bowser's overwhelming disadvantages, Bowser pros still tend to do very well. How can this be? Do they have better mindgames or timing or are just better overall? Even while facing non noobs who know how to fight a Bowser, a good Bowser player can still fair quite well. Some matchups Bowser is alright in, and then there are others where he stands little chance such as versing Shiek or Jigglypuff.

I also wonder how other power characters like Ganondorf seem to do well in SSBM. Ganondorf, being a power character, is pretty high up there on the tier list in a game where speed seems to be the most important factor. I guess Ganondorf can be pretty fast sometimes and his knockback is pretty acceptable for a powerful character. How are power characters balanced in other fighting games, or have they always been disadvantaged? For the amount of lag Bowser was given in Smash I think his power and knockback should have been even stronger than Ganondorf's, even by a lot. I mean just look how huge and strong he looks, he's a freaking tank! I will always struggle with how it is possible that Bowser's weaknesses were so blatantly overlooked. Hopefully they will get it right next time...

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Quote:
2)They severely underestimate Bowser. They don't think Bowser stands a chance in a serious match up so they don't play completely seriously. They also think that if someone picks Bowser they are obviously a noob so even more reason not to have to try. What they don't realize is that Bowser is not actually THAT much worse and this catches them off guard.

That's never EVER happened to me before.

Quote:
Bowser can do two FULL JUMPS off the stage, fair somebody, and still return.
What is the point of saying this? Most characters can do this and/or
they don't need to to kill people.

People don't expect Bowser to jump off and kill people. LOL

Stu, Bowser is a mindgame. LOL

YoruWoNukeru

Smash Cadet
I haven't been reading the controversy you guys are having lately, but I have to say, good post by Gimpyfish62. Although I would perfer just a little but more info.

After reading Gimpy's post, why shouldn't I practice with Bowser? So, I practiced, read up on him, and played my brother a while ago.

Bowser (Me) vs. Shiek (My bro)

He was like, "Boswer? wtf?" He just laughed, thought it was a joke, and assumed I would lose so terribly 'cause he was top tier and I low.

............Who could have guessed it? I won! Lol! ^_^

My brother was in utter despair!!! I couldn't help but laugh. I honestly didn't think I would do so well, but I'm actually pretty good with Bowser now.

Big thanks to Gimpyfish62!!! ^_^

P.S.

While looking for more info on Bowser, I went to youtube for some possible Bowser fights. I found a really good one and it gave me some good info. Only to look at the movie maker, was none other than Gimpyfish himself! ^_^ Thanks for the vid!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_XqlyWMC0w&search=ssbm Bowser

The quaility of the first fight is bad for some reason (Giant black bar!) But the rest of the vid is clean, so watch the entire thing before judging.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
thanks for reading/enjoying/ whatever you wanna call it my stuff!

if you want to see more of my vids click the first little link in my sig, theres some good bowser stuff there mmhmm mmhmmm...

yep, thanks man.

(shiek counters bowser hard lol)

YoruWoNukeru

Smash Cadet
Gimpyfish62 said:
thanks for reading/enjoying/ whatever you wanna call it my stuff!

if you want to see more of my vids click the first little link in my sig, theres some good bowser stuff there mmhmm mmhmmm...

yep, thanks man.

(shiek counters bowser hard lol)
Thanks for the vids! Bowser teh pwns? ^_^

Majura

Smash Rookie
These are certainly arguments that bowser isnt THAT bad, but it wont be my favourite. bowser is way to 'laggy'. his smashes are way to easy to dodge

robyextreme

Smash Ace
Aigh.. gimpy knows what hes talking about.. he trashed my Pichu, even though it is sort of a counter. But I think I can take you're boozer if I had more practice againts you :D

Inui

Banned via Warnings
YoruWoNukeru said:
Bowser (Me) vs. Shiek (My bro)

He was like, "Boswer? wtf?" He just laughed, thought it was a joke, and assumed I would lose so terribly 'cause he was top tier and I low.

............Who could have guessed it? I won! Lol! ^_^

My brother was in utter despair!!! I couldn't help but laugh. I honestly didn't think I would do so well, but I'm actually pretty good with Bowser now.

I did the same thing with my brother.

But I didn't read this thread or anything.

And I won.

Really, you just need to play smart. Sheild-grab a lot, catch Sheik off guard with an aerial forward B, and use Bowser's f-air to knock Sheik away in the air since Bowser's f-air ***** Sheik's f-air in range and priority, IIRC.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Sadaharu Inui said:
Really, you just need to play smart. Sheild-grab a lot, catch Sheik off guard with an aerial forward B, and use Bowser's f-air to knock Sheik away in the air since Bowser's f-air ***** Sheik's f-air in range and priority, IIRC.
shiek beats bowser in every way imaginable, her fair > bowsers fair in many ways... its a counter even down to small details such as the short hop, hers is at PERFECT HEIGHT for spacing against a bowser that short hops at her... chainthrowing... ftilt whoring... needle whoring... its just a horrible matchup.

i have no problem with shiek users, its just a ridiculous to impossible match at the higher levels.

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Gimpyfish62 said:
shiek beats bowser in every way imaginable, her fair > bowsers fair in many ways... its a counter even down to small details such as the short hop, hers is at PERFECT HEIGHT for spacing against a bowser that short hops at her... chainthrowing... ftilt whoring... needle whoring... its just a horrible matchup.

i have no problem with shiek users, its just a ridiculous to impossible match at the higher levels.
Ridiculously impossible is an understatement. It's like trying to play against Chuck Norris. Not gonna happen.
When the rare occurance happens that I face a bowser player it's like a breath of fresh air from all the space animals :chuckle:

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
uhh breath of fresh air from the space animals? lol, bowser does well vs fox and my bowser pretty much owns most falcos...

must not be very good bowsers ;)

seriously though, that post was about shiek, why do the space animals breath fresh air?

i love fighting space animals with bowser, i cant get enough of it. (all of them except varietybarrage that is LOL)

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Gimpy you have 999 posts, it looks odd.

Anyways I don't think I was clear. I meant:

I love playing versus bowsers (as I obviously play Sheik ^^) because it is an easy match and is therefore a breath of fresh air from the freaking millions of people who play space animals ---> So I have to you know, actually play when I'm against them. ><
No offense intended, Bowser is an awesome character :)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i see lol i wasn't offended just confused... hows the 1000 posts look now?!

WOOT @ 1000 posts!

doesn't that mean i'm automatically better at smash or something? lol

EDIT: oooooohhhhh smash lord i like the sound of that LOL
oh wow i got pwnage new selection of display pics, evil smiley ownage!

still want to have a boozer like the one in my sig on there though T-T

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Gimpyfish62 said:
uhh breath of fresh air from the space animals? lol, bowser does well vs fox and my bowser pretty much owns most falcos...

must not be very good bowsers ;)

seriously though, that post was about shiek, why do the space animals breath fresh air?

i love fighting space animals with bowser, i cant get enough of it. (all of them except varietybarrage that is LOL)
:p u be losin to variety :p u havnt really begun to see teh space animal gayness.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Gimpyfish62 said:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i see lol i wasn't offended just confused... hows the 1000 posts look now?!

WOOT @ 1000 posts!

doesn't that mean i'm automatically better at smash or something? lol

EDIT: oooooohhhhh smash lord i like the sound of that LOL
oh wow i got pwnage new selection of display pics, evil smiley ownage!

still want to have a boozer like the one in my sig on there though T-T
... What a n00b, LOL! ...

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
Gimpyfish, thank you for this essay. Bowser was my original main for a few months, back when I first got Smash, but I dropped him and, after much experimenting , decided to go with Ganondorf. Now, after three years, and with much more experience (and better controllers, heh), I'm going to pick the Koopa King back up as a secondary. All thanks to you, mate.

Legion19

Smash Apprentice
Bowser's not the best, but he's definately not the worst. After reading the essay gimpyfish put up on the board I'd have to definately say that there's hope for my Bowser after all haha

Mainly I play Peach, but for fun I play as Bowser and it usually psyches people out when they see me beat supposedly "Godly" characters with the Koopa King. (i.e. Marths and Sheiks mostly) It takes alot of patience to play Bowser, and alot of talent, he could essentially be a character specifically for professional players because in the hands of a newb, he gets owned... and fast.

Bowser's slow and methodical style of defensive play makes him an ideal secondary character for me, I always like a good challenge, so I usually whip out my Bowser before my Peach juuussttt to test myself. Anyways, nice essay g-fish, it's nice to see that there are SOME Bowser fans out there, I personally favor the villain myself.

In the real world.... bad guys don't always lose, say bye-bye Mario n' Luigi ~_^

Oshi

Smash Cadet
Real nice Bowser essay there, makes me want to try that much harder to get better with him. In fact, I think i'll do that. Nice sig too btw.
Boozer is teh adorable. :p

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
...5150, did you make a pledge in blood to type like an AOL n00b in every post or something? Say something useful, please.

Gimpyfish (or anyone else who knows), more extensively than in your essay, what are your thoughts on the up+a claw swipe? I find it's a very effective KO tool, but it seems to take a lot of setting up to get it to work. Any tips?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Lemming 1545 said:
...5150, did you make a pledge in blood to type like an AOL n00b in every post or something? Say something useful, please.

Gimpyfish (or anyone else who knows), more extensively than in your essay, what are your thoughts on the up+a claw swipe? I find it's a very effective KO tool, but it seems to take a lot of setting up to get it to work. Any tips?
LOL @ the first part, i couldn't agree more...

anyways...

his utilt?

utilt is great!

if you miss an uair most people are going to dive right in to punish you, theres a great time to utilt!

the run right into it most every time! (you shouldn't miss those uairs though) ;)

utilt is a good kill tool on a lot of chars, though you cant really... combo into it... you should be able to find places for it though...

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
I agree with pretty much your whole essay and have touted many of those points to my Smash crew here (and have F-Aired it into the skulls of the doubters). The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is your section on his throws. There are certainly characters with worse throw-sets than Bowser... but I don't think his are that great. Or maybe, what I should say is that his throw-set really doesn't excel in any way, so I wouldn't list it as "good". I'd say they're average at best, and his grab range isn't that steller either.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
dash grab range has almost as much range as link/sammy grabs, and more than marth's...

i dont jump cancel my grabs because i figure if your gonna miss, your going to get punished either way, they both have a lot of lag behind them

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
Don't Bowser's throws do a significant amount of damage compared to other throws, though? And the reletively short knockback range makes them really good for setting up combos.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
they are great for setting up for either techchasing (dthrow) 2nd jump stealing, or a 'combo' involving throwing into ONE arial LOL (uthrow) or settin up for bowsers arsenal of edgeguards (b and fthrow)

they also do good damage, and when you include the little headbut do about 15 or so per throw (depending on their % you obviously cant just hit them 4 times and throw at zero) ;)
normally i'd like to say i hit once per 25%... but normally i'm to concerned with throwing them for some reason and tend to not even try to hit them (something i need to work on)

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
Fiaqnlly Someone that gives Bowser his props. He definitely takes quite a bit of work to master, but I can see what a machine of death he would be if he were mastered and used to his full potential. Nice essay altogether Gimpyfish.

Slightly off topic here, but I personally think it would be awesome if in SSBR, they brought in koopa to be a faster, weaker boowser clone.

Top Bottom