• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMPULSE - Canada's Brawl & Melee National

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown522

Some guy
Nah dude, you need to go **** yourself.

This staff did a lot of ****ty things when it came to brawl. Not finishing Doubles til 2 am, didn't start the events until the melee events ran, not even calling the brawl single matches, but instead having Tin man go to each person to do their match? I'm sorry, but this tourney was just poorly executed. Having to drive 6 hours to and back is not an easy feat. Telling us to go **** ourselves after having done all this just gives me of a reason not to go back and support Canadian smash. I have nothing against Tin Man and the rest of the staff, but I really expected better than this for their first "National".
Sure whatever. Cry more.

When over half of the people come late then complain about the tourney running late, there's nothing that the T.Os can do about that, it's on the people.

:phone:

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
It's just miscommunication, really.

A lot of ppl (like everyone lol) thought "noon" was the magical time to appear.

Then one night Tinman was like "hey we have alot of spare time let's start at 10am"

*no one shows up at 10am*
*no one shows up til 1/2pm anyways*

lol

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Its called tough luck, stick to the plan its their fault for being late they can pay the price. Really I dont understand how you cant see the issue with starting late. People have to drive home.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
while the tournament wasn't run as smoothly as it could have been...it could have been infinitely worse...I feel Tin and the rest of the tournament staff did a fine job try to organize things

I understand it's not fair for the whole event to be slowed down by people showing up late...and if it were one or two people I'd say **** them...but from what I'm gathering...it's a lot more than one or two people that were showing up late...so everyone please just try to relax and not direct your anger at the TOs

you guys did a good job running things with what you had...and I'll be looking forward to another tournament in the future

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
well I guess they wont show up late next time. Seriously you people have to realize how much not staying on time can screw people. Ive driven home many times at 6 in the morning after being up for 24+ hours. ITS not fun. So stop selling out those that travel so local *******s can sleep for an extra 2 hours.

billybeegood

Smash Apprentice
the people who are complaining have good reason. everyone was at the venue on day 2 at 11. crews didnt start until 11:30 and they ran until almost 4. It was a poor decision to shut down brawl completely for a 10v10 crew battle. I was one of the many people who were concerned midway through the crew battle about "hey....whats going on here, there's still a tourney to run". and the tournament payed a big price (the brawl side anyway) Grand finals had about 3 spectators and 0 hype.

on the other hand melee was well run from what I could see

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
well I guess they wont show up late next time. Seriously you people have to realize how much not staying on time can screw people. Ive driven home many times at 6 in the morning after being up for 24+ hours. ITS not fun. So stop selling out those that travel so local *******s can sleep for an extra 2 hours.
DQing half a tournament isn't going to make people want to show up on time next time...it's going to make people not want to show up to a tournament hosted by them ever...I understand the importance of an event running on time...but gathering this many people together and trying to get them to follow a set schedule is just ridiculous...no one can predict what will happen at events like this...so everyone should do their best to plan for sudden changes

also I've had to go home at 6 in the morning after an event after being up for 24 hours as well...3 hour drive and I had to be to work the second I got home...so I feel where you're coming from

Nintendude

Smash Hero
My car got home at like 8am and then some of us had to go to work that day. It sucks but I'm not sure of a good way to address the situation. The players (especially locals) just have to be more considerate and try harder to be on time.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Thats why you do doubles first cause if people get DQed from a side event oh well. And I understand that **** happens. But when TOs do nothing to acknowledge the issue, try to fix the problems for the next time, or even apologize that is where the issue is.

Sure whatever. Cry more.

When over half of the people come late then complain about the tourney running late, there's nothing that the T.Os can do about that, it's on the people.

wow. Go **** yourself

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
looks like you guys attracted quite the audience

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
FWIW me and everyone i was housing showed up late the first day and the TOs did acknowledge it and told us to wake our ***** up earlier the next day, so we did and showed up for 10

dunno what everyone else's experience was

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I woke up at 9 both days and was there by 10, with a 30 - 40 minute drive from my house to the venue. Y'all have no ****ing excuse for showing up after 11.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
DQing half a tournament isn't going to make people want to show up on time next time...it's going to make people not want to show up to a tournament hosted by them ever...I understand the importance of an event running on time...but gathering this many people together and trying to get them to follow a set schedule is just ridiculous...no one can predict what will happen at events like this...so everyone should do their best to plan for sudden changes

also I've had to go home at 6 in the morning after an event after being up for 24 hours as well...3 hour drive and I had to be to work the second I got home...so I feel where you're coming from
But Tournament Oraganizers need to be more adamant if they want to run a schedule. Make it very apparent that if you are late? There will be punishment. Do what they did at Genesis once (I think they did it for the first one, don't remember if they did it for the second one).

If you're late by a certain point? You forfeit your first game. Late further by the second warning? DQ'd from the Winner Bracket (or eliminated from your pool)

2 Hours late is not excusable. TO's just need to make a very big point on being on time. 20 minutes I feel at the most to contact someone for their match. If they're stuck in a crew battle or another game or something, those just need to be addressed so they have an exception to wait and let another bracket match happen if that's the case.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I honestly feel that in order for tournaments to change for the better. Both TOs and Smashers need to step it up in terms of responsibility. Smashers are very often clogging the works more than a TO's screw up.

TOs need to be more adamant about bringing down the hammer on people that do not follow their rules. Smashers need to be more respectful of their rules because if all we do is ***** about how ****ty people run tournaments they will stop happening.

TOs need to run tournaments in order to learn how to run tournaments. As they get bigger there are always new things to learn.

Smashers need to quit *****ing all the time and shape up. Stop making lame excuses or complaining and help the TOs out when **** goes down.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
I remember SS was super late for Genesis 1 and blunted object and myself waited 2-3 hours after our doubles pool had started just to play one pools set. but it is SS afterall... and we were in Cali.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
was the stream recorded? I wanna watch the crew battle

Yeah, if you click the link in the OP it'll take you to the Smash Impulse site. From there just double click the video and it should take you to twitch where you can dig through the stream footage.

Also, the results thread should go up soon. The longer you the wait, the more people will forget who they played/met at this. Also, it'll cut the number of shoutouts received in the thread by a lot. If whoever has the Tio file is too busy (or whatever is preventing you from doing it), send it to me and I'll get the thread up. I'm starting to forget the people I played and wanna see the bracket.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I honestly feel that in order for tournaments to change for the better. Both TOs and Smashers need to step it up in terms of responsibility. Smashers are very often clogging the works more than a TO's screw up.

TOs need to be more adamant about bringing down the hammer on people that do not follow their rules. Smashers need to be more respectful of their rules because if all we do is ***** about how ****ty people run tournaments they will stop happening.

TOs need to run tournaments in order to learn how to run tournaments. As they get bigger there are always new things to learn.

Smashers need to quit *****ing all the time and shape up. Stop making lame excuses or complaining and help the TOs out when **** goes down.
QFT .

STILL NO RESULTS THREAD LOOOOL.... wtf

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Yeah I agree with Unknown, go suck a ****

We ran everything as best as we could considering we had registration pinned at specific times but had to be extended because people came two hours late. We had to extend Day 2 because of Brawl crews. Honestly you can **** yourself. I honestly dont understand how someone can expect everything to run perfectly on time. Obviously there are going to be delays because of extenuating circumstances but we did the best we could. Considering we had ran Melee Singles, Teams, Amateur, crews aswell as Brawl Singles, doubles, amateurs and crews. I think we made out just fine.

I'd write more, and more coherently, but Im drunk. So as an ending note, you are the only one who has said anything in regards to timing outside of having to wait because of crews.

Not you're saying why post a schedule if were not going to be anywhere near it. Okay sure, lets allow people to show up whenever the **** they want, randomly start events as we please and see how things go. Honestly you stupid ****, are you thick in the head?

Okay i'll stop now.
No excuses actually, this was poorly ran.

What was the point of online registration if you guys didn't even have pools made in advance? seriously

The bracket ran like ****, I had to make sure **** was going on for like 2-3 hours because nothing was being reported or called for a while until tinman came back at some point.

Waiting for the stream to play winners quarters was BULL**** and a big loss of time that at one point, after telling tinman for a while that he should just '**** it, let's finish the tournament' he ended up just making them play after 1-2 hours wasted.

2 days, 70 entrants and 28ish teams

No ****ing clue why doubles wasn't done on first day, no one gave a flying duck about it, and it finished last.

FZK is right, this tournament was seriously poorly done and I expect you guys to step it up next time.

Edit: I am not actually mad, but using swearing words make my post more serious I think.

Melee finished 'on time' yeah, Brawl could of finished earlier if this was ran professionally. 1st big tournament, gotta learn from mistakes.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
i was upset at the things people were yelling at pp when he was fighting mango saying "he lost his confidence" or "it's over" is not a pleastant experience or a good way to have good hype matches. When 2 players play their best, then good matches happen, so why do people say things in an attempt to make 1 player play worse?

i saved first teams match with my ddd to the wii somehow i did 730 dmg 6 kos but i threa away game 2 i have too many off stage habits
That's what happens when you get more people on your side for one reason or another. They just try to bring you down. I have many people cheering against me because I'm not an especially vibrant personality and I don't wow anyone with my play usually AND I'm not from a big area that constantly hypes me up or travels with me often. These things combined means I must understand the crowd will be against me often, and if I am not prepared to handle it then I deserve to lose. The odds may be against me, but I can at least be prepared better for them so that they matter much less.

Hype is, after all, one of the biggest parts of the game and what keeps us all coming back to tourneys. I couldn't ask anyone to stop cheering even if it might mean I'd play better haha.

Basically, I just need to get better overall. No johns.

Btw guys, seeing as this was my first tournament and most of our(if not all of ours) first hosted national, Im just curious as to your thoughts on how everything went, how we ran it etc. If you can send me a pm on anything that would be awesome :D

Also please dont mention the stream -_-
I think everything was mentioned except how late we started but even then I'm not sure if it was or not.

I've agreed with most criticisms I've read and I figure you guys will do much better next time. =)

wow. Go **** yourself

LMFAOOOOOO great post

hahaha i thought it was hilarious...but don't do it again

edit: i mean ledge camping, feel free to jiggs ditto people if you're not gonna go into metaknight mode
He can do it again as long as I can commentate on it again with Mango. That junk was FUNNY.

zupp

Cool tourney guys, I had a lot of fun and learned a lot! Thanks so much to the hosts and all behind the scenes workers that keep the events hype and running.

kk stop being an emo butt or I'm gonna start johnning about Falco in your Sheik thread LOOOLLLL

Bing

Smash Master
Edit: **** it. Yeah we made mistakes, I dont agree with all of them.

Sorry for going off, I.. we put lots of work into this, so I don't like hearing these things, especially since some of them are outside our control, but oh well.

I assure you that if there is An Impulse 2. Im going to be a **** and I dont care who it is. So for future reference, arrive the **** on time or Im going to DQ you. :D

Beat!

Smash Master
Obviously Im going to get defensive
This is generally a very bad mindset for a TO to have. I didn't attend this tournament and I haven't paid that close attention to the circumstances, so it's possible that all the criticism you and the other TOs have received in this thread has been unfounded and incorrect, but I think it's a good idea to at least keep an open mind when reading it.

Again, I don't know the details in this specific case so I'm not looking to get into an argument. Just wanted to address that quote.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Mike, if you are going to blame Bam, then I'm also responsible for delaying matches. I thought we had enough free time to go outside enjoy some air and relax because sometimes you need to breathe in between matches to have the correct mindset. Anyways, I apologize for that and I'll try to be more aware of the situations next time.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Tin is working on the results thread according to twitter :p

Bing

Smash Master
This is generally a very bad mindset for a TO to have. I didn't attend this tournament and I haven't paid that close attention to the circumstances, so it's possible that all the criticism you and the other TOs have received in this thread has been unfounded and incorrect, but I think it's a good idea to at least keep an open mind when reading it.

Again, I don't know the details in this specific case so I'm not looking to get into an argument. Just wanted to address that quote.
Its my first tournament as TO. And as someone whos sunk a lot into this, obviously its not easy to take, but I'm done now.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to message me.

Also in regards to the results thread, were trying to get ahold of someone who has the melee results. Tin was unaware of the results that Nintendude posted earlier so it should be up shortly.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Mike, if you are going to blame Bam, then I'm also responsible for delaying matches. I thought we had enough free time to go outside enjoy some air and relax because sometimes you need to breathe in between matches to have the correct mindset. Anyways, I apologize for that and I'll try to be more aware of the situations next time.
Well, if it was your idea it was your fault. But it was Bam specifically we needed cause he had like a series of teams and singles matches to do.

Mprime

Smash Ace
Will mago vs hungry square and mago vs docter doo doo be uploaded onto youtube or do we just gta surf through the twitch tv recording to find these matches. Not complaining just wna know if i can just be lazy and youtube it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom