• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMPULSE - Canada's Brawl & Melee National

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I learned 3 things @ this tourney

Mango is MERELY above PP, m2k & hbox & the 3 of them are pretty much equal.

Mr. R is EXTREMELY legit... & he should have beaten Ally... I've never seen any1 besides M2K play Ally that... WELL.

V115... that comeback vs swordguard solidifies was amazing

:sonic:

:phone:

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I learned 3 things @ this tourney

Mango is MERELY above PP, m2k & hbox & the 3 of them are pretty much equal.

Mr. R is EXTREMELY legit... & he should have beaten Ally... I've never seen any1 besides M2K play Ally that... WELL.

V115... that comeback vs swordguard solidifies was amazing

lol you should see mikehaze and nah he didnt beat me... or 'Should of' you high? it was close though but not last hit game 5 with some dumb mistake on his part, he'll prob get me next time.

waiting for shoutouts tho, no sleep yet

B Link

Smash Lord
Hmmm, I remember seeing that before I left. I asked a couple people if it was theirs but nobody seemed to know who it belonged to. I left it on the table where the LCD TV for smash 64 was so it should still be there unless someone jacked it lol.

BTW congrats to you, Nintendude, and YBombb on taking the top 3 spots. I wish you guys could have gotten better payouts, but unfortunately there was a general lack of interest in Smash 64, likely because of the late announcement date. If I ever host another Smash 64 thing with The Pizz we'll make sure to notify people well in advance so we get a better turnout.
Are there any tournament organizers I can contact to get it? I can't seem to find a way to PM Tin Man directly.

I have a feeling that the ssb64 scene can be a lot bigger than it is in Toronto -- like you said, people just need the early heads up.

If you're interesting in hosting another tourney and need help, feel free to msg me. I've been interested in helping host an ssb64 only tourney as well.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
GREAT matches. I loved it. SO many legendary sets!

By all accounts, a well-run tournament, etc. etc.

My gripe- commentary. Kirbykaze was entertaining during random mid-bracket matches at Big House, but it really ****ing pissed me off when he started lecturing us about KK's thoughts on this or that arcane bit of melee theory during the final stock of game 5 of PP vs Mango, or a similarly tight moment, in his best Eeyore voice. Jesus, dude, it's pride week, it's canada day, and you're at a melee tournament. What are you so ****ing sad for?

I'm not saying the entire commentary has to be two black guys yelling "****! ****!," but too much focus on hype would be an improvement over a commentator actively trying to calm everyone down.

That said--overall the stream was really well run and I had a great time watching it.

yea kirbykaze sounds like a **** ***** **** nowadays. mad annoying

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
i was upset at the things people were yelling at pp when he was fighting mango saying "he lost his confidence" or "it's over" is not a pleastant experience or a good way to have good hype matches. When 2 players play their best, then good matches happen, so why do people say things in an attempt to make 1 player play worse?

i saved first teams match with my ddd to the wii somehow i did 730 dmg 6 kos but i threa away game 2 i have too many off stage habits

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Are there any tournament organizers I can contact to get it? I can't seem to find a way to PM Tin Man directly.

I have a feeling that the ssb64 scene can be a lot bigger than it is in Toronto -- like you said, people just need the early heads up.

If you're interesting in hosting another tourney and need help, feel free to msg me. I've been interested in helping host an ssb64 only tourney as well.
on the home page of the impulse website theres a list of all the people who ran the event:
http://www.smashimpulse.com/
I'm not sure which of those people would have been responsible for collecting any items that were left behind, so just try to message some of them.

As for the whole 64 scene, I agree when you say that it could probably get bigger. 64 surprisingly has a more advanced metagame than I originally thought it did and I'm somewhat determined on trying to get better at it. A and C world would probably be the best place to host it, unless there's somebody who has a better idea lol.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
lol you should see mikehaze and nah he didnt beat me... or 'Should of' you high? it was close though but not last hit game 5 with some dumb mistake on his part, he'll prob get me next time.

waiting for shoutouts tho, no sleep yet
Yeah but he looked like he adapted very nicely against you instead of already knowing how to play you... It was an impressive feat. Hell anyone that can take YOU to game 5 is impressive especially after you won the 1st 2 games. His resolve was interesting...

He at least made me reconsider his skill level seeing how he performed at E4U. Which wasn't bad but 4 him to NOT be top three is "supposed" 2 be as big of a deal as YOU not getting top 3 @ a big tourney minus Apex.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Signs of 2012 world ending:

-m2k ports metaknight to melee
That was the single most hilarious Melee moment I have ever seen. Second place going to the Level 9 Luigi.

Mew2King, if you read this I gotta know. When you were playing that match and went Jiggs, were you thinking of Meta Knight?

Beat!

Smash Master
He's been saying that planking Jiggs is broken and unbeatable for a pretty long while.

PP was on fire. SR's gonna be hype.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
According to Bing they'll be up tonight at the earliest

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I said it a few times in chat, and I'm pretty sure I directed it at you one time too, we didn't have the bandwidth at the venue for two streams.

People seem to think that a 480p stream takes half the bandwidth of 720p, so if we just streamed in ****ty quality, we could run two.

1. That's not how it works

2. Why would we stream in a crappy quality

3. We only had one computer for streaming, not to mention it was a full time job to run it.
What was your download and upload speed?

unknown522

Some guy
Sorry about the melee results. I really wanted to jus post them as the melee event ended, but then I wads told not to. I knew this would happen

Bing

Smash Master
Btw guys, seeing as this was my first tournament and most of our(if not all of ours) first hosted national, Im just curious as to your thoughts on how everything went, how we ran it etc. If you can send me a pm on anything that would be awesome :D

Also please dont mention the stream -_-

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Really there's just 1 problem lol. Like, the poutine ordering for people was cool and props to Matt for going out to get it, the venue was nice, located close to food and transport, etc.

Brawl crews are the worst thing ever. It took like 4 hours to do a 30 stock crew battle and it held everything up. Melee people were told to not play their matches and save it for the stream cause there were gonna be good matches. But jesus, 4 hours is 240 minutes, that's literally 80-100 average melee matches in the time it took a brawl crew to lose 30 stocks.

Bing

Smash Master
Its funny you say that Mike because even I mentioned that length of the crew battle... Brawl matches dont need to be that long... Regardless we still wanted to fit that in just because Canada/World vs The USA swag.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
The only reason the brawl crews took so long was because of the 2 Olimars, the Pit and the Toon Link on the US crew, and the 2 Ice Climbers and the Sonic and the Olimar on the Canada crew.

Those Characters should be banned from crew battles.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
You forgot about the Jiggz on the US crew. Only one of those ICs held up the CB ;)

To be fair, the reason brawl crews took so long is because half the time for brawl crews is player CPing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom