• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I think Impa is quite likely to. Not only cause there's a ****ton of Mario characters, but more that I cannot picture there being no Zelda newcomer after Ganondorf getting horribly shafted again. Am still really hoping for a Greninja situation. With that, I mean her moveset would've been created before Hyrule Warriors but Impa would be using either the Giant Blade or Naginata.
Not a fan of that giant blade, really would sleep easier knowing it didn't pop up in any fashion in smash. Maybe as a FS but that's it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That attack needs to be her Final Smash. It's awesome as ****.

And yes, chances are good that she'll be a Sheik clone. But even if she is, she might not be one in the next game.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That attack needs to be her Final Smash. It's awesome as ****.

And yes, chances are good that she'll be a Sheik clone. But even if she is, she might not be one in the next game.
I don't think so, 2 of out 5 zelda characters are already clones so I don't think we'll get anymore, especially considering that mario is getting 2 original characters

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All those are still heavily different from :ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee::falcomelee:. You actually help proof my point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kirby and Jigglypuff started out as semi-clones to. Outside of their Specials. Look how that ended.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, the idea of Impa being playable has grown on me as of late. She's clearly established herself as an important, recurring Zelda character, and as such I think she'd be a great choice for a new representative of the series.

Though one thing I've been wondering about is her move set potential. As many have noted, she doesn't display a ton of abilities within the series (outside of Hyrule Warriors), and the fact that she's a Sheikah means that a lot of what she could do may already be done by Sheik. However, I don't think that means that making an entirely unique move set for her is impossible; it just requires some creative thinking. I think Rosalina is a great indicator for Impa's potential, as an example of a character with seemingly little potential that was made into something completely unique; prior to her reveal, most people assumed that she would just be a clone of Peach if she were added, since they look alike and Rosalina displays very little abilities of her own in her games. Yet Sakurai made an entire move set based off of a key aspect to her character that many overlooked: the incredible bond she shares with the Lumas. That important part of her character was translated into en entire move set based around Rosalina and Luma functioning as a team, with the Luma doing its best to protect its "mother" at all costs.

Based on that, I think there may be some untapped potential Impa has that only Sakurai is able to realize. I'm not exactly sure what that potential may be, but I do think that it's there. So, I think Impa could be a great choice for a Zelda newcomer.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
You know, the idea of Impa being playable has grown on me as of late. She's clearly established herself as an important, recurring Zelda character, and as such I think she'd be a great choice for a new representative of the series.

Though one thing I've been wondering about is her move set potential. As many have noted, she doesn't display a ton of abilities within the series (outside of Hyrule Warriors), and the fact that she's a Sheikah means that a lot of what she could do may already be done by Sheik. However, I don't think that means that making an entirely unique move set for her is impossible; it just requires some creative thinking. I think Rosalina is a great indicator for Impa's potential, as an example of a character with seemingly little potential that was made into something completely unique; prior to her reveal, most people assumed that she would just be a clone of Peach if she were added, since they look alike and Rosalina displays very little abilities of her own in her games. Yet Sakurai made an entire move set based off of a key aspect to her character that many overlooked: the incredible bond she shares with the Lumas. That important part of her character was translated into en entire move set based around Rosalina and Luma functioning as a team, with the Luma doing its best to protect its "mother" at all costs.

Based on that, I think there may be some untapped potential Impa has that only Sakurai is able to realize. I'm not exactly sure what that potential may be, but I do think that it's there. So, I think Impa could be a great choice for a Zelda newcomer.
With takamaru gone I think she could work as a fast, sword-wielder using a katana, sakurai is known for making stuff up and I could see this happening. We have no characters in smash with a japanese style sword style and that could be awesome

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Really what I always thought for Impa was a more 'monk archetype' based fighter. At least, before her Hyrule Warriors appearance established her role as being a samurai. In Skyward Sword, most of (young) Impa's actions are off-screen, but it's clear that she is a warrior of high abilities. Otherwise she wouldn't be chosen by the Goddess Hylia to fight in her war of Light vs Dark and give her the task to guard her mortal reincarnation. She has shown that she's able to jump great heights, is able to cast a barrier able to hold out against Ghirahim's attacks, and an ability to use magic. If one does complete the game, it's also shown that Impa took out certain enemies for Zelda if they ever would attack her. It might not be extremely much but it's certainly more than what Sheik ever did.

But yes, I really like how you compare Impa with Rosalina in this aspect. When she was revealed, I immediately used her as an example on how Impa could be unique. People didn't want to buy it, but they where EVER so certain that Rosalina would be a "Peach semi-clone, at BEST" before her reveal. :rolleyes: So am not really taking all these bandwagonists serious when they say "Impa has no potential" or shout "SHEIK CLONE SHEIK CLONE". Sure, it's a possibility that she'll be based on Sheik's moveset, and I accept that (as I rather have her being in as a clone than not, just like Dixie)- but that would be out of time contraints I'd think.

I still think that Impa could literally function as the :wolf: of Smash 4. Meaning ; was decided upon early in development, was created to be mostly unique but due to pressure on the development team finishing the game has a few similarities to :fox: / :falco: as well.

Anyways, am still optimistic about her chances!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Really what I always thought for Impa was a more 'monk archetype' based fighter. At least, before her Hyrule Warriors appearance established her role as being a samurai. In Skyward Sword, most of (young) Impa's actions are off-screen, but it's clear that she is a warrior of high abilities. Otherwise she wouldn't be chosen by the Goddess Hylia to fight in her war of Light vs Dark and give her the task to guard her mortal reincarnation. She has shown that she's able to jump great heights, is able to cast a barrier able to hold out against Ghirahim's attacks, and an ability to use magic. If one does complete the game, it's also shown that Impa took out certain enemies for Zelda if they ever would attack her. It might not be extremely much but it's certainly more than what Sheik ever did.

But yes, I really like how you compare Impa with Rosalina in this aspect. When she was revealed, I immediately used her as an example on how Impa could be unique. People didn't want to buy it, but they where EVER so certain that Rosalina would be a "Peach semi-clone, at BEST" before her reveal. :rolleyes: So am not really taking all these bandwagonists serious when they say "Impa has no potential" or shout "SHEIK CLONE SHEIK CLONE". Sure, it's a possibility that she'll be based on Sheik's moveset, and I accept that (as I rather have her being in as a clone than not, just like Dixie)- but that would be out of time contraints I'd think.

I still think that Impa could literally function as the :wolf: of Smash 4. Meaning ; was decided upon early in development, was created to be mostly unique but due to pressure on the development team finishing the game has a few similarities to :fox: / :falco: as well.

Anyways, am still optimistic about her chances!
I've actually been thinking a lot about how Rosalina relates to Impa, particularly the idea of taking an important aspect of a character and making that into a move set that was demonstrated in Rosalina. So I was wondering, are there any really key aspects Impa has that could potentially lend themselves to a move set?

Here are a few (very odd and likely impractical) ideas I thought of.

-Impa is almost always portrayed as Zelda's protector, and is extremely dedicated to her. Though considering that Zelda is already a separate character, I doubt that this trait could be implemented into a unique move set. Maybe they could make Impa a more defensive character, though...

-Impa's the Sage of Shadow, so perhaps moves utilizing shadows are possibilities. Greninja already does something similar, though.

-In Skyward Sword, Impa's a character that transcends time to fulfill her duty. Perhaps making something like the Timeshift stones part of her move set could reflect that, though it's a stretch.

-Impa actually has musical abilities; she teaches Link important melodies such as Zelda's Lullaby and the Ballad of the Goddess to aid him in his quest. I think it would actually be pretty interesting if Impa was able to use one of the various magical instruments from the series for part of her move set. There's certainly a lot of potential with such an idea.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know why people try to discredit that pic. Wolf was a great addition to the Brawl roster I always felt. And if Fox looks so much like his Brawl self, why is that render for Wolf criticized so much for looking like his Brawl model? And thus be regarded as fake?

"How many times has Pikachu made Zelda KO" is a weird sentance yes. But the game might not be fully translated in English yet. So keep that in mind.

Impa might also look like that to fit in better with :4tlink: instead of trying to look realistic like :4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf:. Skyward Sword, after all looks far more like Wind Waker than Twilight Princess in it's overall style.

Also False Sense am happy I am not the only one who thought of Timeshift Orbs as parts of Impa's moveset! It would really represent her character well. Travelling through time and all that, which is also a huge aspect in the Zelda lore as a whole.

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I would like Impa's Hyrule Warriors design much better than her Skyward Sword one. (I do love the Skyward Sword design, but I like the HW design better)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually prefer her look in Skyward Sword. But I like the Hyrule Warriors look for one simple thing: it tries to create an established look for Impa by creating a model out of her two most important and famous roles: Impa, the time travelling chosen warrior of Hylia from Skyward Sword, and Impa, the Sage of Shadow from Ocarina of Time.

Am hoping that Hyrule Warriors will get a Skyward Sword Impa DLC btw. I'll totally play that, and only that. Only switching between her styles of Naginata and the Giant Blade.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Impa is that one zelda character who odds has yet to fall.Her only competitors are well Zent and Vaati.Whose odds aren't as great(even though i support vaati).i would love to see her playable just to smash toon link's face in

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't know why people try to discredit that pic. Wolf was a great addition to the Brawl roster I always felt. And if Fox looks so much like his Brawl self, why is that render for Wolf criticized so much for looking like his Brawl model? And thus be regarded as fake?

"How many times has Pikachu made Zelda KO" is a weird sentance yes. But the game might not be fully translated in English yet. So keep that in mind.

Impa might also look like that to fit in better with :4tlink: instead of trying to look realistic like :4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf:. Skyward Sword, after all looks far more like Wind Waker than Twilight Princess in it's overall style.

Also False Sense am happy I am not the only one who thought of Timeshift Orbs as parts of Impa's moveset! It would really represent her character well. Travelling through time and all that, which is also a huge aspect in the Zelda lore as a whole.
the thing is both those models are nowhere to be found on the internet, they are entirely new. If those renders are fake they are good ones

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to offend any of you, but I hope that Impa is not playable NOW...
If she's in the game, she'll certainly be a clone of Sheik, whereas if she is in the next Smash Bros, or DLC, she'll be much more unique. But if she's unique, then forgive me ^^

She'll be a lock for next Smash if she has an important role in Zelda Wii U.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
the thing is both those models are nowhere to be found on the internet, they are entirely new. If those renders are fake they are good ones
Duck Hunt Dog's render was deemed "fake" before as well. And I thought that the Bowser Jr. render was fake as well because it resembles so many other official artworks of him. Then again, so does Lucina's render.

Am thinking she's about THE most likely character to appear as playable yet now.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Duck Hunt Dog's render was deemed "fake" before as well. And I thought that the Bowser Jr. render was fake as well because it resembles so many other official artworks of him. Then again, so does Lucina's render.

Am thinking she's about THE most likely character to appear as playable yet now.
Im a believer of the trophy theory and I always thought she would get in based on that and ridley as well, hopefully soon we will be proven right...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No, Ridley and Mewtwo are both more likely. Impa is in third place, though.

The thing about the renders is, a lot of people were instantly suckered in by how good the Duck Hunt Dog render looks. Impa's does not look that good, really. Wolf's still looks like the exact same render he had in Brawl. There are also a host of things like grammar mistakes, math mistakes, etcetera, that really throw doubt on the image.

I think Impa's in, but I don't think that picture is at all real. Nor, for that matter, would I want it to be real, because I'm not particularly a fan of that Impa model.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
No, Ridley and Mewtwo are both more likely. Impa is in third place, though.

The thing about the renders is, a lot of people were instantly suckered in by how good the Duck Hunt Dog render looks. Impa's does not look that good, really. Wolf's still looks like the exact same render he had in Brawl. There are also a host of things like grammar mistakes, math mistakes, etcetera, that really throw doubt on the image.

I think Impa's in, but I don't think that picture is at all real. Nor, for that matter, would I want it to be real, because I'm not particularly a fan of that Impa model.
It very well could be fake but that wolf model looks nice, I do agree the impa one does look strange but it very well may be the fact its so blurry and its not an upclose of the render, the model may look much nicer in actuality.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I will refrain to post my opinion about Ridley here cause that would be social suicide :smirk: but Mewtwo indeed has great chances. He always had though. But unlike Impa, Mewtwo cannot be made fit into a clone. Unless he'll turn out to be a real, real awkward Lucario clone. Which actually might be hilarious, but more because it'd be a pathetic sight.

Impa's render not looking "good" can simply be explained that her look is made more chibi to fit in with Toon Link. Wolf's render looking "exactly like Brawl's" is excused by the fact that Fox himself looks almost exactly like in Brawl. Both of the renders aren't excisting however. And I myself don't think that Impa looks worse than Duck Hunt Dog.

Another possibility if of course that Skyward Sword Impa is the 'main' Impa and Ocarian of Time Impa could appear as a costume and look more "realistic" like Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ok, simple question about the render: Why does Impa look like one of the Gerudo? That skin color does not work for her, has never been a part of her design, and is already used by a race in the Legend of Zelda series.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
In regards to that "leaked" image, I'd question why Lucario's KOs add up to 34, yet show 33 total, more than I'd question the renders.

Also, one of the 1s has a different font than the others.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Ok, simple question about the render: Why does Impa look like one of the Gerudo? That skin color does not work for her, has never been a part of her design, and is already used by a race in the Legend of Zelda series.
honestly the color saturation looks off for most of the characters in the picture which could very well be the reason why but who knows.

In regards to that "leaked" image, I'd question why Lucario's KOs add up to 34 yet show 33 total more than I'd question the renders.

Im very aware of the different 1 and the math problem but its still isnt enough to say without a doubt its fake.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
In regards to that "leaked" image, I'd question why Lucario's KOs add up to 34 yet show 33 total more than I'd question the renders.

I missed that, but that's perfect disconfirmation of the image.

Under "Falls", there are two characters who have a count of 12. Why does the 12 beneath Donkey Kong use a different font than the 12 beneath Sheik?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because that's exactly what Impa's skin color is in Skyward Sword.

As for the 'font problems', it's a tilted 3DS screen.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Because that's exactly what Impa's skin color is in Skyward Sword.
Maybe you need to play Skyward Sword again.

Her skin is not burnt-orange.

honestly the color saturation looks off for most of the characters in the picture which could very well be the reason why but who knows.
It works fine for every other character.

Im very aware of the different 1 and the math problem but its still isnt enough to say without a doubt its fake.
Yes, it does. It really, really does. The math problem, possibly not, because there could be negatives in the part of the page we can't see (it's clearly a scrollable page, there are even arrows on the sides). But there is no possible way for the font change to be anything but poor editing. It just can't happen. Anyone who knows anything about computers can tell you this. They would have to specifically program a font change on that section of the screen (for no damned reason), or the program would automatically continue to use the same font used for the rest of the chart. This is not a glitch, it is not a mistake, it is conclusive proof that the image is edited.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But the roster image with Dr.Mario, Dark Pit, Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr. also was editted. In order to make it appear fake. If the leaker wants to troll, aka : Pull Us A Sakurai, he could have done it a second time to.

Also, posting this again because False Sense mentoined Timeshift Orbs:

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Maybe you need to play Skyward Sword again.

Her skin is not burnt-orange.

It works fine for every other character.

Yes, it does. It really, really does. The math problem, possibly not, because there could be negatives in the part of the page we can't see (it's clearly a scrollable page, there are even arrows on the sides). But there is no possible way for the font change to be anything but poor editing. It just can't happen. Anyone who knows anything about computers can tell you this. They would have to specifically program a font change on that section of the screen (for no damned reason), or the program would automatically continue to use the same font used for the rest of the chart. This is not a glitch, it is not a mistake, it is conclusive proof that the image is edited.
Eh well you can believe that if you want but Ive seen worse things that looked bad from the legit leak so im not throwing it out till those renders are found or they are disconfirmed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I always find it appalling that there's always double standards when it comes to Impa. Especially when it comes with Impa being put in a positive light, or being seen as remotely likely.

Also, this music really needs to be in:

andimidna

Smash Master
Alright, this is a post I've been adding a few things too for a while now. Don't care that much anymore. It basically just takes the concept of a clone, and expands on it to become a unique fighter that represents Impa's best incarnations. Not really done, and it's not a big deal. But I'm still going to put it here:
[collapse=clone-ish Impa moveset]
Saying Impa can't be a Sheik clone would be like saying Lucina couldn't be a Marth clone.
They have a similar relationship, however Impa is the Marth and Sheik is the Lucina... I can understand why some people here wanted Sheik cut now, but I think both is ideal. If she's added as a clone, she can be differentiated in later games due to her Hyrule Warriors appearance. I would never expect her default look to be Hyrule Warriors's design, or for her to only reference HW, because it's a spin-off Zelda, but it has many great moves and moveset concepts, there's no reason to neglect it entirely.

Now, I know it's more likely she'd have been upgraded from a Sheik alt and will just have different stats. But I think it would be cool if she had a moveset that just took moves from many different fighters.

Walk/Run (Animations, speed) - Sheik
Jump/Fall - Sheik
Stance - Sheik
Crouch and Crawl - Sheik
All (3?) Ledge animations - Sheik
Trip (by moves that trip, I know random is gone) Animation - Sheik
Idle Animations- Sheik
Fall and Recover (official names idk?) Animations - Sheik

Dash Attack - Ike (Giant Blade)

Jab:
A -
AA-
AAA-

Up Smash - Sheik
Down Smash - Sheik
Side Smash- Ike (Giant Blade)

Up Tilt - Pit (Naginata)
Side Tilt - Palutena (Naginata spin)
Down Tilt - Zelda

Up Air - Ike (Giant Blade)
Down Air - Link (Giant Blade)
Neutral Air - Ike (Giant Blade)
Forward Air - Marth (Naginata)
Z Air - Link/Toon Link (Clawshot/Hookshot)

Neutral Special - [side] Palutena (Reflect- Barrier)
Down Special - Link (Bomb- Time Orb)
Up Special - Greninja/Pikachu (Sheikah Warp)
Side Special - Greninja (Sage of Shadow)
[/collapse]

Ok, with that out of the way.
I'd like to see what some people have to say about Impa. Luckily, she got chosen to be part of the 3 final days of rates on the Rate Their Chances Thread.
Support, defend, rate, anything, just don't flame.
Rate Impa in Chance and Want here: http://smashboards.com/threads/rate-their-chances-day-319-impa-mach-rider-and-dlc.351920/page-236
The day will end in around 24 hours
You know you want to come and support...

Just look at that smile

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I hate to be a bummer, but I doubt we'll get anything Hyrule Warriors related in the final game (hence why I believe that we'll get a Skyward Sword-esque Impa in the game). The fact that we saw absolutely nothing Kirby Triple Deluxe or A Link Between Worlds related implied in the leaks or shown in the Pics of the Days is proof that. I doubt Sakurai even knew the game existed before it was too late to add any content of it in the two games.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hate to bring this up here, but...

...didn't Impa debut at the same time Link and Zelda did?

I'm here to show my support for Impa in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS. I really want a new Zelda rep and since Ghirahim didn't make it my hopes rest on Impa. I really think she could be a cool interesting character and I loved her design and character in Skyward Sword.

Top Bottom