• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yay, a person who actually cares about Impa!

Seriously though we need some votes if we want to hold our own in the ballot
Yeah we really could use some extra votes to make Impa stand out more... I have my thoughts that Impa was already planned somehow, but they want to see if she's supported now to see how much effort they are going to put in her.

Look at Sheik's moveset revamps, they seem odd for a character with little to base off. Impa is probably one of the most likely new 'low effort' newcomers, same with Dixie, who will most likely get in if they get enough support. Problem is, nobody really wants these characters if they can literally choose anything they want. That's Impa's biggest danger, people want her, but she's not exactly everyone's first pick... Or someone they'd think of first in the ballot.

I see my most wanted characters King K.Rool and Isaac getting heaps of support, and that's amazing. And I love that they make a great chance of inclusion now! But I feel like the more the merrier, and I especially would like Impa in. In any sort of form. Alt, clone, semi-clone, unique character, I just want her in. And I think more votes could make this happen. She just needs to be in the, Top 15/20 or something to make a sort of chance.

EDIT: Did a vote just now, cause Impa needs all she can get.

impa vote.png

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yeah we really could use some extra votes to make Impa stand out more... I have my thoughts that Impa was already planned somehow, but they want to see if she's supported now to see how much effort they are going to put in her.

Look at Sheik's moveset revamps, they seem odd for a character with little to base off. Impa is probably one of the most likely new 'low effort' newcomers, same with Dixie, who will most likely get in if they get enough support. Problem is, nobody really wants these characters if they can literally choose anything they want. That's Impa's biggest danger, people want her, but she's not exactly everyone's first pick... Or someone they'd think of first in the ballot.

I see my most wanted characters King K.Rool and Isaac getting heaps of support, and that's amazing. And I love that they make a great chance of inclusion now! But I feel like the more the merrier, and I especially would like Impa in. In any sort of form. Alt, clone, semi-clone, unique character, I just want her in. And I think more votes could make this happen. She just needs to be in the, Top 15/20 or something to make a sort of chance.

EDIT: Did a vote just now, cause Impa needs all she can get.
I think I'm just gonna start voting for Impa a whole bunch. I'll do it like 5 times a day

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I'm just gonna start voting for Impa a whole bunch. I'll do it like 5 times a day
Let's just start like, a habbit for Impa supporters. A certain reminder for us all to vote for Impa whenever we see it.

Am thinking of a Sheikah Stone, but would that be too obvious?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I don't really like how people say they'd want Impa to use her weapons from Hyrule Warriors. I just think that Impa didn't catch the essence of Impa's complete character. Yeah they got down protector of Zelda down pat, but they didn't really give Impa the right kind of magic, she should have used shadow magic, not water magic. Also the big hulking weapons go against the aesthetic of Impa being from ninja like tribe. It would've been better if they gave her smaller weapons, cause she seems more like someone who removed threats quickly and quietly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, she's also captain of the Hyrule royal guard, so she ought to be able to kick some serious ass. And that Giant Blade just does that. I really would like her to have a weapon as that in Smash, but I also have no objection towards a style based on Skyward Sword. In all actuality, I tend to mix up votes for SS and HW Impa, as both could be so drastically different... It's almost hard to make a choice which Impa to actually support! I do agree that water magic is odd on her, but I do like how she's able to shoot those spear-like projectiles. I'd definitely want to see her doing that in Smash! As well as the summoning of blades out of the ground with the naginata moveset with the Sheikah Eye.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Well, she's also captain of the Hyrule royal guard, so she ought to be able to kick some serious ***. And that Giant Blade just does that. I really would like her to have a weapon as that in Smash, but I also have no objection towards a style based on Skyward Sword. In all actuality, I tend to mix up votes for SS and HW Impa, as both could be so drastically different... It's almost hard to make a choice which Impa to actually support! I do agree that water magic is odd on her, but I do like how she's able to shoot those spear-like projectiles. I'd definitely want to see her doing that in Smash! As well as the summoning of blades out of the ground with the naginata moveset with the Sheikah Eye.

Except in normal Zelda lore Impa isn't the Hyrule guard captain, she is Zelda's caretaker/protector/Nurse Maid and once Zelda is an adult she is Zelda's full time bodyguard. Also its pretty much implied that Oracles, Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda/Adventure of Link, raised those incarnations of Zelda.

Thing is her also being the Hyrule guard Captain goes completely against the canon portrayal of the Sheikah tribe, which is one that is so secretive that Ocarina of Time, people thought Impa was the last one, and then Twilight Princess showed that wasn't the case. And the tribe as always been described as protecting the Hyrule royal family from the shadows, basically Sheikah are the Ninjas for the Hyrule royal family.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We do not know yet what Impa's role is going to be in Zelda Wii U, if she appears in it at all of course. I think it's highly logical that Impa would be made captain of the soldiers of Hyrule as in Hyrule Warriors in a future game. She was already quite related to them in Ocarina of Time remember? She clearly holds a authoritive position over them. However, I also prefer her Skyward Sword persona as the Goddess Hylia's "Chosen Warrior", and wish Nintendo will do more with this side of Impa.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
We do not know yet what Impa's role is going to be in Zelda Wii U, if she appears in it at all of course. I think it's highly logical that Impa would be made captain of the soldiers of Hyrule as in Hyrule Warriors in a future game. She was already quite related to them in Ocarina of Time remember? She clearly holds a authoritive position over them. However, I also prefer her Skyward Sword persona as the Goddess Hylia's "Chosen Warrior", and wish Nintendo will do more with this side of Impa.
I don't mind which one they go with, I'm just gonna hope she'll be in the game in any form

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
At first I primarily campaigned for Inkling but since I kinda dont want Splatoon anymore, Impa is now my primary campaign focus.

And here's my ballot:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh awesome work @ Dreamy Luigi Dreamy Luigi ! This is something Impa really needs.

I also thought of a new way to create her moveset btw, and posted this idea in the Official Character Discussion here:

Spears you said?

Yes give me Impa based on this concept please. Why worry about what style she uses if she can potentially use both styles? A fire infused naginata combined with a water infused giant blade which she can summon for usage at free will while also using kicking attacks.

Best choice for Zelda possible. Don't delude yourself. :smirk:
The idea is basically Impa using both weaponstyles of Hyrule Warriors into one moveset. One fire-infused naginata, and one water-infused giant blade. Since the idea of having a double sword user for Zelda in the way of Toon Ganondorf is already there, I think this is a great way to make such a style finally happen.

Impa can be so many things Zelda fans wanted in one... She provides the series with a unique newcomer we haven't had since Melee, she can combine the styles of Zelda and Sheik into one character which people might be missing because of their split up, she's a series' veteran and not some one-off unlikely to ever appear again, she's a big sword user which many wanted Ganondorf to be, or she could fit two other popular fighting style niches for Ganondorf: duo weapon user (WW and HW Dorf) or magic user with weapon (classic Ganon, OoT / TP Dorf).

I think she has a great shot now, the only thing we're needing now is the votes!

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Definitely showed Impa some love in the votes. A Sheik with Zelda's kill blows and some funky tools/her blade or naginata from Hyrule Warriors would be lovely to see. I'm also a massive fan of her unique look post Skyward Sword.

The silhouette alone is just so distinct.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think you should focus on quality of post rather than spamming. Sakurai has been known to ignore popular opinion (e.g. Wii fit Trainer).

But yes of the Zelda character that are not in Smash I think Impa should be next. Well maybe Tingle but I can't stand that guy.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think you should focus on quality of post rather than spamming. Sakurai has been known to ignore popular opinion (e.g. Wii fit Trainer).

But yes of the Zelda character that are not in Smash I think Impa should be next. Well maybe Tingle but I can't stand that guy.
Oh, I make sure to give unique answers as to why she should be in

Also Tingle is an assist, the ONLY options are Impa and Tetra (and I guess vaati too but who really cares about him) which is kinda cool, It's like the pirates vs ninja debate

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Oh, I make sure to give unique answers as to why she should be in

Also Tingle is an assist, the ONLY options are Impa and Tetra (and I guess vaati too but who really cares about him) which is kinda cool, It's like the pirates vs ninja debate
I wouldn't knock him out yet. Tingle has a lot going for him.

1. He's hugely popular in Japan. I was just over there in Feburary and he was right along the Majora's Mask advertisements.
2. He's the only Zelda character to get their own spin off.
3. He has just as much variety of moveset potential as Impa (possibly more) and he's an odd fighter which Sakurai seems to favor.

I don't think it wold be an issue to turn off the AT and put him in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't knock him out yet. Tingle has a lot going for him.

1. He's hugely popular in Japan. I was just over there in Feburary and he was right along the Majora's Mask advertisements.
2. He's the only Zelda character to get their own spin off.
3. He has just as much variety of moveset potential as Impa (possibly more) and he's an odd fighter which Sakurai seems to favor.

I don't think it wold be an issue to turn off the AT and put him in the game.
Tingle isn't only a AT, he's also a throphy in Smash Tour IIRC. And am thinking that Villager already pretty much covers Tingle's bases as an odd fighter, as well as having Balloon Flight as Up B. Tingle likely won't be made playable in Smash because he's not a real popular character internationally. His spin-off titles are also old by now, as DS was his last time he got a game. Really think that Brawl was his best shot, as I don't see Tingle domineering Impa in the ballot any time soon.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Tingle isn't only a AT, he's also a throphy in Smash Tour IIRC. And am thinking that Villager already pretty much covers Tingle's bases as an odd fighter, as well as having Balloon Flight as Up B. Tingle likely won't be made playable in Smash because he's not a real popular character internationally. His spin-off titles are also old by now, as DS was his last time he got a game. Really think that Brawl was his best shot, as I don't see Tingle domineering Impa in the ballot any time soon.
That is true but compare that with Impa and he's still more popular. She's just getting recognition now since Hyrule Warriors (which Tingle is also playable through DLC). But with Tingle featured so much in Smash bros and Impa featured so little don't you think that would put in favor of him? Villager means nothing for Tingle. He still has plenty of moves and if we were going with the odd fighter part then what about GW and Rob?

But who knows what Sakurai thinks. He clearly doesn't go with just popularity (e.g. Wiifit Trainer). All I'm saying is that Tingle is still formidable in Zelda slot contention. I do like Impa and I think she's finally getting the recognition she deserves (Its only been nearly 30 years). I thought I would show this that I made. I was thinking of making the other versions as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All am saying is that I think that personally, Tingle's best chances for inclusion are over. However, you are right saying that he, as of now, probably enjoys more "Star Power" than Impa. All am thinking is that that's only a matter of time, as Impa's popularity is rising with the day it seems, while Tingle is hardly talked about as much now. I doubt that Tingle will get many votes on the ballot either.

Villager also fits Tingle's niche of being a odd fighter much more than R.O.B. or G&W to by the way. But I do understand what you mean by what you said, it's not like it's impossible for both to co-excist. In fact, they'll probably play with their similarities a bit in a trailer if Tingle where ever to be made possible (both flying around with their balloons for example). But am just still thinking that will all the stigma surrounding Tingle, Sakurai will choose to not make him popular.

If Tingle was from any other series than Zelda, or his own series (which I can't see happening btw) he'd be far more easy to add I think. There's a reason why they went with characters as Rosalina and Bowser Jr. for the Mario series above the likes of Waluigi for example. Tingle and Waluigi might have strong support from their fanbase, but ultimately where not chosen as playable characters and likely won't ever be despite appearing as trophies, ATs and all that jazz since Melee.

Am thinking that Impa is pretty much on the same boat that Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are in. Detractors might say she's too similar to Sheik, but she has been in all recent Zelda titles as of late, and has been made playable in a spin-off plus had a grand revival role in Skyward Sword with a new redesign to make stand out. Considering she has been in the series since the very beginning, I think this is significant enough for Impa to be noticed by Sakurai and team.

However, Zelda Wii U could still hold a lot of surprises for the Zelda series. For all I know, Tingle is the second Link of the game and he gets in as a free Smash DLC coupled with Zelda Wii U. :rolleyes: But as how it's going now, I think Impa has the definite edge over any Zelda character.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
What if Impa's moveset was a combination of the original Din's Fire and the Sheikah Eye Blade attack from OoT.
Throw in the "Discovered" jingle and you have a pretty great moveset.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I would love to see Impa in Smash and her Hyrule Warriors incarnation would be the best fit. (Even though my top choice would be Midna, I don't see her happening at this point).

Add me to the supporter list.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Well... Little Mac was a unknown character in Japan and Marth and Roy were also nobodies in America, so i don't think that really matters (but i'm with you here, i don't want Tingle at all)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Tingle is pretty irrelevant, he hasn't been in a game since the early days of the DS and he's overally just not big in the Zelda games. He's a character that exists solely for sidequests that somehow managed to get his own game that to my knowledge wasn't that well recieved

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I, personally have Midna as my most wanted newcomer...she fills in the essential roll of the companion character throughout the Zelda series, however with her being an already existing assist trophy is somewhat problematic...
Impa on the other hand is indeed another character in the series that does have some relevance as she (other than the main three) has appeared in more zelda games than any other character, and her role in the games she appeared in especially OoT and Skyward Sword gives her character a major significance (unlike characters such as Tingle)...
I can see her having a unique moveset, one that does not mirror Sheik's as they can be based on her abilities from Skyward Sword and even Hyrule Warriors...
I do feel Zelda needs another rep that is not one of the Triforce holders and if we can't have Midna (who as I stated is my most wanted character),as well as the addition of another female character, then I am in full support of Impa being in smash...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To all the new posters here, I strongly encourage everyone to vote for Impa on the ballot. The more she's requested, the likelier it is we're going to see her. Even if it's as a semi-clone, which I would be fine with to. Am hoping she's involved in Zelda Wii U as well... That would probably cause another boost in her popularity, as with Hyrule Warriors before.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Though it may not be the best representation of Impa I would love to see her Hyrule Warriors form with the naginata. Though if you think about it Impa has so many varied incarnations that is really hard to truly represent her. She's seen young, old, and middle aged. She's been a ninja, general, guardian, nursemaid, wise woman, and messenger. There is even one time they were going to make her into an old man in Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hyrule Warriors Impa with a hybrid style between her giant blade with water elemental attacks and the naginata with fire elemental attacks with a Skyward Sword Impa look as alternative is my biggest wish. Add Isaac for the earth element to, and we've got some real interesting new weapon and elemental magic based fighters. Impa can create swords and spears out of water and fire, so basically she doesn't need to only use one weapon. Am certain Sakurai could make something really awesome out of Impa, but she needs more votes and more spotlight attention.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Hyrule Warriors Impa with a hybrid style between her giant blade with water elemental attacks and the naginata with fire elemental attacks with a Skyward Sword Impa look as alternative is my biggest wish. Add Isaac for the earth element to, and we've got some real interesting new weapon and elemental magic based fighters. Impa can create swords and spears out of water and fire, so basically she doesn't need to only use one weapon. Am certain Sakurai could make something really awesome out of Impa, but she needs more votes and more spotlight attention.
But Diddy, who's going to use the wind element?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Diddy, who's going to use the wind element?
Custom Donkey Kong. Storm Punch and Kong Cyclone for the win baby. However, Dixie Kong could maybe work with this as a newcomer to?

Anyway, with the new discovered additions of Roy and Ryu, what do you guys think this will mean for Impa? If they are going to bring back clone veterans, do you think they'll also add back Young Link, and call it a deal in regard to Zelda characters? :younglinkmelee: I can't imagine Fire Emblem getting somebody after Roy either. :roymelee: Nor any other Pokémon after Mewtwo:4mewtwo:.

I think that with the addition of the Link costume for Mii Fighters, Young Link would be a rather weird addition, but anything can happen I guess. I wouldn't like Young Link over Impa espeically since we have Toon Link already. :4tlink: But Majora's Mask's remake and Sakurai's apperant bias for veterans might make him add Young Link back in there still...

What do you guys think about Impa's chances vs Young Link's?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Custom Donkey Kong. Storm Punch and Kong Cyclone for the win baby. However, Dixie Kong could maybe work with this as a newcomer to?

Anyway, with the new discovered additions of Roy and Ryu, what do you guys think this will mean for Impa? If they are going to bring back clone veterans, do you think they'll also add back Young Link, and call it a deal in regard to Zelda characters? :younglinkmelee: I can't imagine Fire Emblem getting somebody after Roy either. :roymelee: Nor any other Pokémon after Mewtwo:4mewtwo:.

I think that with the addition of the Link costume for Mii Fighters, Young Link would be a rather weird addition, but anything can happen I guess. I wouldn't like Young Link over Impa espeically since we have Toon Link already. :4tlink: But Majora's Mask's remake and Sakurai's apperant bias for veterans might make him add Young Link back in there still...

What do you guys think about Impa's chances vs Young Link's?
Dixie Kong with windbox on every move confirmed

Also adding young link is a terrible idea when you have Impa and Toon Zelda which work extremely well as clones

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That's just it, we got Link, and we got Toon Link, which pretty much acted as a replacement for Young Link, having a another Link I think is a bit overkill...besides Toon Link is a lot better than young Link who was a smaller faster and weaker version of Link that can wall jump while Toon Link is the exact same except he is almost as strong as Link...Young Link is a veteran but I see him being about as likely as Pichu...One thing Smash 4 has over melee in terms of the fighters is that Smash 4 has 3 true clones, while melee had about 6...it says something when the roster is twice as large with half as many clones...
The only thing Young Link has over Impa is the fact that he is a veteran, but you could argue that Impa is a newcomer (something Zelda doesn't have in this game) as an advantage for Impa as well...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toon Zelda would make the most sence out of being a clone from Zelda the most. The Phantom Slash looks like a move designed for Toon Zelda, not so much for Adult Zelda, but I like the creative liberty they took with it. Damn, I really miss the days speculating over the Phantom Slash, and the fate of Sheik, Transform and Impa... It felt like we where so close to victory back then.

Anyway, I would be down for both Toon Zelda and Impa as clones actually. Provided they can make Impa at least interessting as a clone character. I'd still like her as unique, but if she'd get in as clone, she at least is getting in.

Top Bottom