• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would actually prefer a more martial arts based moveset, Assuming they use SS impa
Well, yeah, that'd work for Smash, though it might be too close to Sheik. I'd actually like a dagger type of moveset in Smash but Sakurai seems adamant about not doing so.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like a more material arts based moveset to. Something of a mix between Sheik and Lucario's styles. At least, that's how I always envisoned SS Impa. I'm also not opposed at all to the idea of having SS Impa being a Sheik clone. The very, very least what I'd want is for Impa to get the :4bowserjr: / :4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: treatment as an add-on on :4sheik:.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well, yeah, that'd work for Smash, though it might be too close to Sheik. I'd actually like a dagger type of moveset in Smash but Sakurai seems adamant about not doing so.
Well ninjas and martial arts are very different so I don't see that being a problem plus unless they go with the OoT design which I can't see them doing I don't think a dagger based moveset would really fit

I'd like a more material arts based moveset to. Something of a mix between Sheik and Lucario's styles. At least, that's how I always envioned SS Impa. I'm also not opposed at all to the idea of having SS Impa being a Sheik clone. The very, very least what I'd want is for Impa to get the :4bowserjr: / :4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: treatment as an add-on on :4sheik:.
No. Just no. If dark pit and doctor mario can be separate impa is more than deserving of it

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Can't she use a short sword instead? Like a ninjato or a wakizashi?

Daggers and knives realistically are not short swords as most games for whatever reason portray them as. The biggest offender is Dragon Age where swords are two-handed swords, two-handed swords are great swords, and daggers are swords...

A knife-wielding fighter in SSB would basically be another Mario, Little Mac, or Falco, but with slightly more range. It wouldn't be anything close to Pit, Link, or Marth much less close to Shulk and Ike. Short swords on the other hand would be interesting since she'd have more range than a hand-to-hand fighter, but less than a swordsman.

Considering that Sheik is ninja-y and Impa seems more like samurai - basically, the guardian who's close by while ninjas protect from the shadows -, Impa's move set could involve shotokan and kyokushin karate for regular attacks, judo and aikido for her grabs alongside capoeira for some flair.

A naginata would be fine since there's nobody in this game that uses polearms. We have hammers, swords, random furniture and sports equipment, and whatever the hell Bowser Jr. has in that Clown Car, but no polearms.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think Dark Pit and Dr.Mario are bad choices for last minutes clones. It's the ultimate 'safe pick' route he went, after taking huge risk characters as :4wiifit:. And seeing as :4olimar: has :4alph:, I wouldn't say it's disrespectful to put Impa as an alt to :4sheik:. As much as I'd like to see it the other way around... While they are at it, add a :younglinkmelee: alt for :4tlink:, and SS costumes for :4link: & :4zelda:. Maybe even a Demise alt for :4ganondorf:? We still do not know exactly how many characters for even what we are gonna get as DLC outside of :mewtwopm: so am not going to take too many wild guesses. I will say that I'd feel lucky if Impa gets in as a Sheik alt as DLC at this point.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Can't she use a short sword instead? Like a ninjato or a wakizashi?

Daggers and knives realistically are not short swords as most games for whatever reason portray them as. The biggest offender is Dragon Age where swords are two-handed swords, two-handed swords are great swords, and daggers are swords...

A knife-wielding fighter in SSB would basically be another Mario, Little Mac, or Falco, but with slightly more range. It wouldn't be anything close to Pit, Link, or Marth much less close to Shulk and Ike. Short swords on the other hand would be interesting since she'd have more range than a hand-to-hand fighter, but less than a swordsman.

Considering that Sheik is ninja-y and Impa seems more like samurai - basically, the guardian who's close by while ninjas protect from the shadows -, Impa's move set could involve shotokan and kyokushin karate for regular attacks, judo and aikido for her grabs alongside capoeira for some flair.

A naginata would be fine since there's nobody in this game that uses polearms. We have hammers, swords, random furniture and sports equipment, and whatever the hell Bowser Jr. has in that Clown Car, but no polearms.
Short Sword / Ninja Sword, that's basically the kind of thing I was getting at. I don't see Naginata happening because its not game canon. Impa would be based on the canonical games and not on Hyrule Warriors.

Its questionable at best if Impa is truly based on a Samurai. In Hyrule Warriors, she IS a samurai, hands down. However, outside of Hyrule Warriors, she's not shown doing a whole heck of a lot. SS Impa is more "ninja" than "Samurai." And OOT Impa, although not shown doing much, has the design more reminiscent of ninja, and her being of the Shadows is clearly more a nod to ninjas than anything.

Hence why I'd like to see her get a dark moveset in Hyrule Warriors that uses something closer to that style, based more on acrobatics, martial arts, and sneaking around. Yeah, we do have Sheik, but Impa could use something more true to form.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Short Sword / Ninja Sword, that's basically the kind of thing I was getting at. I don't see Naginata happening because its not game canon. Impa would be based on the canonical games and not on Hyrule Warriors.

Its questionable at best if Impa is truly based on a Samurai. In Hyrule Warriors, she IS a samurai, hands down. However, outside of Hyrule Warriors, she's not shown doing a whole heck of a lot. SS Impa is more "ninja" than "Samurai." And OOT Impa, although not shown doing much, has the design more reminiscent of ninja, and her being of the Shadows is clearly more a nod to ninjas than anything.

Hence why I'd like to see her get a dark moveset in Hyrule Warriors that uses something closer to that style, based more on acrobatics, martial arts, and sneaking around. Yeah, we do have Sheik, but Impa could use something more true to form.
Well, Sheik is more of a ninja in a sense of being similar to Snake, Sam Fisher, the Assassins from Assassin's Creed, and the classes in RPGs. She's there and she can protect people, but she's more in the shadows and uses that to attack. Impa is more of a guardian, hence, why in Hyrule Warriors, she was based on a samurai. She's usually at Zelda's side. Impa is either Zelda's caretaker or bodyguard and being a samurai sort of translates as the forefront warrior ready to defend while Sheik is more in the background ready to strike.

So, it's less samurai in a sense of combat, but more in a sense of role and mindset. It's like if Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Toon Link were all members of a RPG, then Link's the regular warrior and ranger and sometimes item-class, Zelda's the mage or a not-tanky paladin, Sheik is the assassin/ninja class that can deal a ton of damage through criticals or through high DPS, Ganondorf's the tank or beserker, and Toon Link is well... A thief? Kid's fast, that's all I know. Impa would be either a samurai or some support class; she'd either be the other damage class who can deal damage or tank if needed or the class who's role is to protect others through magic, timed shields, etc., but won't actually be tanking it like Ganondorf.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, Sheik is more of a ninja in a sense of being similar to Snake, Sam Fisher, the Assassins from Assassin's Creed, and the classes in RPGs. She's there and she can protect people, but she's more in the shadows and uses that to attack. Impa is more of a guardian, hence, why in Hyrule Warriors, she was based on a samurai. She's usually at Zelda's side. Impa is either Zelda's caretaker or bodyguard and being a samurai sort of translates as the forefront warrior ready to defend while Sheik is more in the background ready to strike.

So, it's less samurai in a sense of combat, but more in a sense of role and mindset. It's like if Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Toon Link were all members of a RPG, then Link's the regular warrior and ranger and sometimes item-class, Zelda's the mage or a not-tanky paladin, Sheik is the assassin/ninja class that can deal a ton of damage through criticals or through high DPS, Ganondorf's the tank or beserker, and Toon Link is well... A thief? Kid's fast, that's all I know. Impa would be the either a samurai or some support class; she'd either be the other damage class who can deal damage or tank if needed or the class who's role is to protect others through magic, timed shields, etc., but won't actually be tanking it like Ganondorf.
True, she is more of the protector type. That makes a lot of sense I guess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
One of the main reasons I wanted SS Impa in for the longest time was that barrier she casted out against Ghirahim in that one cutscene in Skyward Sword. I automatically pictured the move as a Smash Special attack, it just seemed to fit a little bit too well. And since it was Impa, a character who's role was revived in SS, I thought it was very likely to see her in Smash. I really hope that if she gets into the game, the barrier also becomes one of her Specials. I think it'll suit her even if she's in Hyrule Warriors style. And tbh, I think it's very weird she doesn't have that barrier in Hyrule Warriors as an attack.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do not own this thread. but I would list you otherwise.

Also, am seeing a lot of love for Impa nowadays. It seems that Impa got immensively popular after the release of the games. Not so much before. It's now even a tollerated statement to say that :4sheik: should be cut for Impa. I did this before, and whoa... You wouldn't believe the **** I got over me.

It's great to see the increasing support now that we need it the most. And I am very positive that Impa is one of the few newcomers who have an actual fighting chance of becoming playable through DLC.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh no that could never happen! :laugh: Seriously though, the Ridley 'community' has been screwed up ever since the first trailer of Melee. :smirk: Though, chances aren't too bad for Ridley I suppose. He's got the most complete moveset out of everything that isn't a direct playable character. So that could always be used if Ridley where to be rescaled, perhaps for the next Smash?

Why am I even talking Ridley here?

Anyway, I hope to see more from Zelda Wii U. An appearance of Impa in that game would probably seal the deal completely.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh no that could never happen! :laugh: Seriously though, the Ridley 'community' has been screwed up ever since the first trailer of Melee. :smirk: Though, chances aren't too bad for Ridley I suppose. He's got the most complete moveset out of everything that isn't a direct playable character. So that could always be used if Ridley where to be rescaled, perhaps for the next Smash?

Why am I even talking Ridley here?

Anyway, I hope to see more from Zelda Wii U. An appearance of Impa in that game would probably seal the deal completely.
I can already imagine how beautiful Zelda U Impa would be: longer hair in the way a warrior would have, some battle scars on her outfit, something reminiscent of that female captain from Princess Mononoke, a blade meant for stealthy action, the same tanned skin from Skyward Sword, using some form of blue aura during battle, and looking very motherly despite her serious nature. I would die a happy Zelda fan if Aonuma hopefully gives her these qualities and have her play a major role in the game's story.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Impa might very well have established a 'basic look' now that Hyrule Warriors has merged her most famous incarnations into one. I myself like tan Impa from Skyward Sword best, but the abilities of Hyrule Warriors really make up for her look. HW Impa looks more like a propper warrior than SS Impa. I just felt SS Impa would be the best replacement for Sheik cause of her tall and skinny frame, and having actual abilities unlike Sheik.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
...Impa's going to be a Greninja clone. It'll make only narrowly more sense than Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Except for of course, Greninja's whole stance and stuff. Impa doing Hydro Pump, Substitute or any of Greninja's tongue attacks also doesn't work. So, no.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He posted this idea to in the 'create your DLC pack' thread. So yeah, am thinking he's quite serious.

Not that I don't see his point, but really, a full clone would be full out ********, as it can't be done. I see the similaritiies with the water element, and being a ninja and all, and using water swords, but that's where the similarities end. Impa would make far much more sence to be a Sheik clone.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
He posted this idea to in the 'create your DLC pack' thread. So yeah, am thinking he's quite serious.

Not that I don't see his point, but really, a full clone would be full out ********, as it can't be done. I see the similaritiies with the water element, and being a ninja and all, and using water swords, but that's where the similarities end. Impa would make far much more sence to be a Sheik clone.
I still think a Zelda and Sheik mix would make the most sense

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes of course, if she was gonna be based on other characters, that'd be the most likely case. But Impa was always an extremely versatile character. A hybrid :4zelda::4sheik: character to represent the old :sheilda: playstyle is a good reason of inclusion. But she could also be the heavyweight swordfighter we wanted :4ganondorf:to be. So her inclusion with either of those playstyles in mind will probably be very well received. Even by the casual crowd who wouldn't know of her, or wouldn't want her in Smash beforehand.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh whoa that was unexpected! Would've guessed that this version and SS Impa showed up much earlier.. But great to see it nonetheless! Is this just a new skin, or also a new weapon type? I'm really excited now to also buy Hyrule Warriors whenever I get a Wii U.

Another post I made just now to summarise Impa's abilities:

Disagree highly with your view on Impa. She has the potential to have a whole lot of different sorts of movesets even, unlike most other characters. She could carry a giant blade or naginata as in Hyrule Warriors, or fight as a sort hybrid of Zelda and Sheik as Skyward Sword Impa. She can cast a giant barrier to that is able to withhold attacks or reflect projectiles as shown in a cutscene in Skyward Sword. And as a time traveller, she could probably realistically use one of Skyward Sword's more interessting game mechanics ; the Timeshift Orbs. Deku Nuts are also a great possibility, seeing as Sheik doesn't use them, and they where removed as an item this time around.

So, big giant sword (actually, in Hyrule Warriors she even uses the Biggoron Sword) with water powered magic which she swings with great speed and agility, a naginata with fire powers and spear-like magical projectiles, time slowing attacks with the Timeshift Orbs, barrier to block attacks, Deku Nuts, magical ball attack, teleporting via Time Portals (making this up, but would work realistically- even if it's only her stage entrance), material arts based on kung fu / eastern fighting styles (as made up by her stance doing the barrier).

Videos of stuff:

Doesn't feature Impa, but the Timeshift Orb talked about earlier. SS Impa would likely get magical abilities that resemble this.

So there's basically a whole lot what she can do.

Just like Isaac, who's also a great choice, that I greatly agree with.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Oh whoa that was unexpected! Would've guessed that this version and SS Impa showed up much earlier.. But great to see it nonetheless! Is this just a new skin, or also a new weapon type? I'm really excited now to also buy Hyrule Warriors whenever I get a Wii U.

Another post I made just now to summarise Impa's abilities:
It's just a skin but it still looks awesome. Speaking of which impa needs a new weapon, Maybe another samurai styled weapon with lightning properties this time

Also HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE A WII U?? IT'S SO GOOD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
OOT Impa is my favorite version. But I hope SS Impa gets in too.

Would be pretty funny if Fat Impa is a costume too. :troll:

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Guys, my friend at Namco Bandai told they plan to include Impa, but it's the CD-I version. Her final smash summons the "This is illegal you know!" guy and says exactly that to destroy Impa's opponents.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
...Impa's going to be a Greninja clone. It'll make only narrowly more sense than Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone.
I find that this makes no more sense than Falcondorf. The two characters don't work the same. I know Impa has appeared in quite a few games, but the only real content we have to work with is Hyrule Warriors, due to that being the only game to date where she actually fights. As some people already noted, Impa is not really a ninja at all. Sheik more fulfills that role.

Now that I think about it, her moves in HW could pose a problem as well, as we already have a crapton of swordsmen in Smash. We have a great sword user already(although Impa's sword contains the power of water). She does have that naginata, which is something that we haven't seen yet.
But he's so cute, shota link is best link
Best Link? No. That honor is strictly reserved for Toon Link.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I find that this makes no more sense than Falcondorf. The two characters don't work the same. I know Impa has appeared in quite a few games, but the only real content we have to work with is Hyrule Warriors, due to that being the only game to date where she actually fights. As some people already noted, Impa is not really a ninja at all. Sheik more fulfills that role.

Now that I think about it, her moves in HW could pose a problem as well, as we already have a crapton of swordsmen in Smash. We have a great sword user already(although Impa's sword contains the power of water). She does have that naginata, which is something that we haven't seen yet.

Best Link? No. That honor is strictly reserved for Toon Link.
How could I forget toon link? I guess young link's second then

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How likely do you guys think it is we are going to get another Hyrule Warriors?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Considering Koei, we're almost definitely getting a sequel. There's no way we aren't and I think the game is doing well enough to warrant it

Also GIVE ME WIND WAKER, just give them realistic textures like in brawl

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
95% chance. Hyrule Warriors is selling well, will probably easily top 1m within the next couple months, Zelda is extremely popular, and there's not really many other franchises that suit the Warriors style of gameplay other than Zelda from Nintendo. And Koei tends to always release sequels anyway. In fact, Pirate Warriors 3 was recently announced. We could even get Hyrule Warriors 2 as early as next year (though I find 2017 more likely).

Which is fine by me, there's tons of potential for characters to add in the future and tons of games that could use representation. Not to mention the fact that several major characters from the established games are missing key characters; Groose, Saria (PLEASE!!!! She's already massively neglected as is!), Nabooru, and Skull Kid. Plus Vaati is also the most recurring villain not playable in the game, all of whom have potential to get a brand new fighting style.

And the lack of Majora's Mask stages, too.

Ooooo. I wouldn't mind another Hyrule Warriors. More characters, stages and music? Check yes for me! And on a different note, any news at all for SSB Wii U/3DS? Even Mewtwo?
Nope. We'll probably hear something by March or April, though. Probably a new Direct, since there's a pretty big gap between now and E3 and still a lot of games coming out that have barely info on them, plus the likelihood of tons of games Nintendo has planned but not announced.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So that means if Hyrule Warriors is doing so well, and is a game with a lot of DLC- they could provide for Impa as a Smash character. Or Sakurai would do it himself, but I doubt too many newcomer DLC characters as for now. But a second Hyrule Warriors would surely draw attention. And it's likely Sakurai will draw from the first Hyrule Warriors most, and Impa is simply the most likely and viable pick. She'll return in the next game to, am sure of it. Captain of the Hyrulean Guards, it's a role only she can take. Plus she's your first ally. And she's getting popular now to..!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So that means if Hyrule Warriors is doing so well, and is a game with a lot of DLC- they could provide for Impa as a Smash character. Or Sakurai would do it himself, but I doubt too many newcomer DLC characters as for now. But a second Hyrule Warriors would surely draw attention. And it's likely Sakurai will draw from the first Hyrule Warriors most, and Impa is simply the most likely and viable pick. She'll return in the next game to, am sure of it. Captain of the Hyrulean Guards, it's a role only she can take. Plus she's your first ally. And she's getting popular now to..!
I still don't think any Zelda characters would get added as Smash DLC unless they're characters returning from previous games and they appear in an actual Zelda game, namely, Zelda Wii U. If Impa returns in Zelda Wii U, maybe she could be considered. Or if another character does. But Hyrule Warriors won't be the one to do it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree that Zelda Wii U will probably be the most important source for new character potential, but what if it doesn't exactly give us anything suitable for Smash?

Am actually quite upset that they didn't really bother to look for new Zelda characters past Wind Waker. And that game was released 2003! Of course they updated the looks of the other Zelda characters to, but damn I feel the Zelda cast is so outdated compared to the other bigger series.

Mario has :4bowserjr: and :rosalina: as quite fresh newcomers. Pokémon has :4greninja: and :4lucario: is what I consider "recent enough". Why are we stuck with the Ocarina of Time cast plus Toon Link for Zelda?

Top Bottom